Hot!New Edition of Roadfood

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3752
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 17:08:33 (permalink)
Well, tomorrow is Dales's birthday and he may now be too old to contibute to these boards!
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 17:22:54 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Michael Stern-
What a great photo!  It looks like you are having a grand time.  What year do you think this was taken?

The Laughner family was have had some serious pull with the mayor's office.

It was taken about 1990, and yes, the Laughners were definite big cheeses in Indianapolis at the time. What a shame they couldn't continue in the restaurant business. At its peak, their cafeteria was magnificent.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4126
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 17:26:20 (permalink)
mayor al

I had a late nite last night, and spent a few hours on a "virtual roadfood trip" around the Western USA using the new Edition of Jane and Michael's Book as a guide. In addition to a lot of great memories of trips we have enjoyed, I noted at least FIVE (5) personal references credited to Dale  Fine, our own Wandering Jew, by the authors. Congratulations Dale, you seem to be able to pick out those places that fit the criteria for the unique Roadfood target locations "on the road".

I did notice a number of references to folks who participate here on the website in many of the reviews of locations in the hardcopy reiews. It was good to read the close relationship between the two media.  Keep up the good work folks, and especially you WJ, Your contributions are appreciated.
AL

Sounds great, Mayor. I hope  yoou had time to stop by on you "virtual roadfood trip"  of the Western USA to stop by in "virtual OC" and say hello to "virtual me"!

And congrats Dale!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 18:39:27 (permalink)
Over the years, I counted about a dozen restaurants that were recommended  by me either directly or indirectly  via the forums, my trip reports, my restaurant reviews or "pm" which the Stern's ultimately wrote about n the roadfood books. Like I told buffetbuster after the book was published- I couldn't think of a finer compliment. It literally gives me goose bumps. Like I said previously in this thread, this is what motivated me to do trip reports and restaurant reviews again.

And Greymo, you remembered! But I'm still not even 50 yet (that happens next year!)
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 19:38:04 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

Care to share names, Mr Mayor?

TJ,  The (retired) Teacher in me wants badly to tell you to do your own homework, but but I will give you a few that I am sure you could have guessed without searching the pages.  S. Rushmore, Bruce and Sue, Chris & Amy, BuffetBuster, Louis, and our Military History PhD, Dr CiCi f. I was with her (and BB) when she almost lost control devouring the fried biscuits and apple butter at Joe Huber's Family Farm Restaurant (the appetizer for the huge Fried Chicken and Ham Family-style dinner).

I am sure there are many others buried in the pages of delicious adjectives in this fine volume.
 Seek and you shall find, Grasshopper.
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/14 23:12:39 (permalink)
Glad you're convinced we all appreciate you, Dale. Believe I mentioned it a few months back when you seemed to be having a blue funk.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3010
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/15 09:04:19 (permalink)
My new edition arrived yesterday and I particularly enjoy the Top 100...although Leon's over Kopp's...come on!  Ya can't eat neon...
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/16 22:50:06 (permalink)
Haven't seen it yet, but sounds like fun. Did, however, get a FB posting from the Bunker Hill Cafe that they were listed in it. There was serious talk it was closing - which it did for a short while as Tom the owner/chef was ill and needed an operation. All is better now, and they just reopened a couple of weeks ago!   My mom is from Salina, and my aunt lives in Bunker Hill, so it is a welcome and necessary stop whenever we visit out there (along, of course, with Cozy Inn and Brookville Hotel.)   The raisin bread alone is worth the trip to Kansas!

My first encounter with the RF world was the Roodfood/Goodfood book, and I KNEW it was good, when I saw the three Kansas entries were the above establishments!
post edited by ConeyIslandLou - 2014/03/16 22:52:09
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10495
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 07:53:55 (permalink)
ConeyIslandLou-
So glad you brought up Bunker Hill Café.  It has been on my wish list for years and it looks like I will finally make it next month.  I have also been following them on Facebook and it is great to see that the owners health has improved.  Besides the raisin bread, what else do you recommend?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 08:11:55 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

My new edition arrived yesterday and I particularly enjoy the Top 100...although Leon's over Kopp's...come on!  Ya can't eat neon...
On some trips I thought Kopp's was better, on others it was Leon's.  Obviously, you have a clear cut favorite. 

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 08:12:44 (permalink)
Unfortunately my travel to obscure places like Kansas, or Idaho or Kentucky are going to be put to a hault at least for the next few years. Destination travel (either by car,plane or train) or places I can get to "on the cheap" in a short weekend  are going to be more the norm.
However I had this brief fantasy about returning to the "mid section" of the country with either a Kansas/Iowa or Kansas/Oklahoma theme sometime this year (but that is not going to happen). And places I wanted to visit in Kansas ( besides returning the Breadbasket in Newton) were The Bunker Hill Cafe and Hay's House, so I'm glad you mentioned the place, Coney Island Lou.
Buffetbuster, please report back on Bunker Hill Cafe, I'm curious
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 08:20:34 (permalink)
Will do WJ!
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7316
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 11:39:31 (permalink)
bb
I forgot to mention this.  On National Pi Day when we went to Henry's for pie I said to the gal that makes the pies (the owner's daughter I believe) that they were not only in the new book, they were on the Roadfood Honor Roll top 100.  She VERY nonchalantly said, "Oh, I know.  They (the Sterns) always stop in before they publish a new book."  WHAT?  West Jefferson is out in the middle of nowhere and the place looks like something out of a horror movie!  We just both shook our heads in amazement. 
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4644
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 11:54:09 (permalink)
That's funny, WJ. Rhode Island is obscure to us. :)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 12:24:16 (permalink)
lleechef

bb
I forgot to mention this.  On National Pi Day when we went to Henry's for pie I said to the gal that makes the pies (the owner's daughter I believe) that they were not only in the new book, they were on the Roadfood Honor Roll top 100.  She VERY nonchalantly said, "Oh, I know.  They (the Sterns) always stop in before they publish a new book."  WHAT?  West Jefferson is out in the middle of nowhere and the place looks like something out of a horror movie!  We just both shook our heads in amazement. 

Great story!  Should I even ask about the pies?
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7316
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 12:36:35 (permalink)
Nah, you wouldn't like the pie there.  Nothing special.  (I'm hoping this will deter you so there's more for us!)
I posted a picture on the "National Pi Day" thread.  You tell me!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 12:37:05 (permalink)
1bbqboy

There you go again, posting something that has nothing to do with the thread, which is why I usually ignore your posts.
Not to diverge , but every place we  are visiting has to do with either family, friends or a past connection, if I'm traveling alone it's either going to be a weekend on the cheap or an annual event (ie glee club) 
And the reason we need to travel to Kentucky, Kansas and Idaho is.......??????

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/03/17 13:07:34
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18891
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 12:39:51 (permalink)
BB
The chocolate pie was the best of its kind I've ever had, and the still warm cherry pie (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream) was, to quote lleechef, sublime.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/03/17 12:42:50
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 12:47:57 (permalink)
wanderingjew

1bbqboy

There you go again, posting something that has nothing to do with the thread, which is why I usually ignore your posts.
Not to diverge , but every place we  are visiting has to do with either family, friends or a past connection, if I'm traveling alone it's either going to be a weekend on the cheap or an annual event (ie glee club) 

Here are three great reasons to visit Kentucky, Kansas and Idaho!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 13:03:53 (permalink)
buffetbuster

wanderingjew

1bbqboy

Not to diverge , but every place we  are visiting has to do with either family, friends or a past connection, if I'm traveling alone it's either going to be a weekend on the cheap or an annual event (ie glee club) 

Here are three great reasons to visit Kentucky, Kansas and Idaho!

I know that but WE won't be able to go while two teenage boys, that my girlfriend has primary custody of are involved....Now if I can get to all three places in a couple of hours or less on a cheap flight in a quick weekend, then that's another story (considering most flights out of TF Green are $300+ and involve layovers then we all know that would be impossible)
(now if Bill Voss read my entire comment instead of taking it out of context then I wouldn't have to clarify every single word, phrase and paragraph)
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/03/17 13:06:05
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/17 14:24:54 (permalink)
buffetbuster

ConeyIslandLou-
So glad you brought up Bunker Hill Café.  It has been on my wish list for years and it looks like I will finally make it next month.  I have also been following them on Facebook and it is great to see that the owners health has improved.  Besides the raisin bread, what else do you recommend?

Easy: STEAK.   The man knows his meat and how to cook it.  the cut is up to you. The raisin bread comes as a matter of course, and the twice baked potatoes are real good also.  Since you have followed them on FB, you know enough to call ahead.   I would love to have you surprise my Aunt Pat with a dinner, but would have no clue how to do it - she's a real hoot! 

Of course you need to stop at Cozy Inn and the Brookville Hotel (in Abilene), not to mention the Hickory Hut Barbecue   in Salina; but in the Kansas area there is a small independent buffet chain called Coyote Canyon - total anathema to places like Old Country and whatever  - very, very good brisket that is VERY tender. Not more than 4 or 5 locations, but a real treat more on the order of a good cafeteria, rather than what you expect from a buffet.  
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/31 12:46:53 (permalink)
Since this thread has taken a side trip to Kansas, I thought I'd link to a great website about Kansas Restaurants. I'm not sure where I originally found the link, and it's possible it was from an old thread right here in the Forums, but anyway it's a great resource.

I haven't been in Kansas since 1983, but if I were to go back, this is one of the websites I'd take with me:

http://www.kansastravel.org/kansasrestaurants.htm
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:New Edition of Roadfood 2014/03/31 13:09:55 (permalink)
ken8038-
That is a terrific sight for all things Kansas and I have been using it for years.  The person responsible for it, Sfreader used to be a regular on these boards.  Wish he was still around.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/03/31 13:12:08
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1