New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
RibRater
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1862
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/19 11:18:09 (permalink)
quote:
or even any lobster salad you just happen to have lying around.

Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Downeast-Lobster-Rolls-Six/dp/B0000CDAY2
dg419
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/19 11:25:07 (permalink)
You guys make me feel like you're making fun of me. (?) Maybe there's misunderstandings because of regional abbreviations, but I was using the actual state abbreviation used by the postal service that we all learned in grade school. As there's only 50 states, I didn't think it was all that confusing. I know New Englanders use NE, but come on...would I need to spend $20 on buns? I didn't think it was any big deal, but now people are making me feel stupid. Oh well, I've got my buns coming and know how to prepare them so I will move along now. Thanks for all of the advice and links!
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/19 13:01:27 (permalink)
I'm just kidding around, dg419.
no one is trying to make anyone feel stupid.
it's all good.
Delta
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 234
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/20 01:02:46 (permalink)
I pay .86 cents for twelve Wonder hot dog rolls at restaurant depot. Only ones I will use, they don't fall apart, break or leave a bad taste in your mouth, and when it gets hot out, you can soak it cold water, stretch it, and make a cool headband. (just kidding)
stogba
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/23 16:46:57 (permalink)
I just found them in Krogers of Rolla, Mo
What a happy day.
When I got desperate I ordered them by mail and paid $20 for 2 dozen. Crazy I know but worth it. I put them in the freezer and made them last a year!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/23 17:43:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dg419

... but I was using the actual state abbreviation used by the postal service that we all learned in grade school.

Speak for your own generation. There were no Postal Service abreviations for states when I was in school. We had to learn the actual abbreviations. Nebraska was Neb. Alabama was Ala.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/23 17:49:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by dg419

... but I was using the actual state abbreviation used by the postal service that we all learned in grade school.

Speak for your own generation. There were no Postal Service abreviations for states when I was in school. We had to learn the actual abbreviations. Nebraska was Neb. Alabama was Ala.

Now-a-days, you don't even need the city or state. With automation, the zip code is enough. Just be sure you got the right zip code.
If you know the nine digit code, you can even get away with not putting an address for houses, just the name of the resident and the zip + 4 and it'll arrive there in the same amount of time.

pretty soon, we'll all just be a number.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/25 11:17:16 (permalink)
I saw that someone on this post mentioned Portuguese Sweet Rolls? I loved when my mom brought these home when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years. Does anyone know where I can find them in the Central Mass or Connecticut area?

Incidentally I once had a roommate that was from Portugal and she had never heard of these!

the plainsman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/29 03:54:45 (permalink)
Lucky us, in North Jersey we can get NE hot dog rolls if we get to the stores early, Freihoffers has them in the A&P's and other stores. But they sell out fast.

Remember the old Nedick's chain in New York City? They used the NE rolls, which is where I first saw and had them. Plus they used to grill or toast them with a little butter(?) NE style, as well.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/30 18:08:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stogba

I just found them in Krogers of Rolla, Mo
What a happy day.
When I got desperate I ordered them by mail and paid $20 for 2 dozen. Crazy I know but worth it. I put them in the freezer and made them last a year!

Sounds like what I do...
Cost an arm and a leg, but one has to do what one has to do.
Which reminds me.. Its time to order some Portuguese muffins from Mass....
Oh I just checked. Now they want 14 bucks to ship 3 packages..
WOW.........
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/07/30 18:19:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

I saw that someone on this post mentioned Portuguese Sweet Rolls? I loved when my mom brought these home when I was a kid, but I haven't had one in years. Does anyone know where I can find them in the Central Mass or Connecticut area?

Incidentally I once had a roommate that was from Portugal and she had never heard of these!

I think Price CHopper used to carry them.. I know that Ocean State Job Lots has them. And the Christmas Tree Shops.
I just emailed my friend up there and asked if they could get me some, since the online shop wants 14 bucks for shipping.
Wah.........................
Footnote to this post.
Friend of mine mailed me 6 packs of those muffins..(24.. that should keep me for a couple months--$17.36 via UPS.. I should have them by Wednesday..
Dang it, I forgot to ask for the N.E. split top hot dog rolls also...
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 21:41:51 (permalink)
I lived in NH all my life and moved down to NC 4 years ago... I can tell you that the hot dog rolls down here stink... They are so bready, that you can't taste what's in them... That's one of the great things about the rolls in New England... You can actually taste what is inside.... Not to mention throwing them on the grill with a grilled dog, or putting some in a frying pan along with some inside grilled hot dogs, grilled with a little butter, or steaming the rolls and the dog for a steamed dog... And we won't even mention the lousy hot dogs down here... They don't even have individual links, except for Boars Head brand at $4.99 a lb... Those cheap packaged hot dogs suck! It's like comparing cheap hamburger and a filet mignon!
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 21:49:24 (permalink)
I lived in NH all my life and moved down to NC 4 years ago... I can tell you that the hot dog rolls down here stink... They are so bready, that you can't taste what's in them... That's one of the great things about the rolls in New England... You can actually taste what is inside....

Not to mention throwing them on the grill with a grilled dog, or putting some in a frying pan with a little butter spread on each side of the roll, and grilled along with your dogs, or steaming the rolls and some hot dogs for a steamed dog...

And, we won't even mention the lousy hot dogs down here... They don't even have individual links, except for Boars Head brand at $4.99 a lb... The rest they offer are in packages and are soft and mushy, and gross! They don't even taste like hot dogs to me... Those cheap packaged hot dogs suck! It's like comparing cheap hamburger and a filet mignon!
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 21:49:28 (permalink)
The regular buns don't compare to new england style. Grilled with butter, they take the hot dog experience to a new height.
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 21:59:48 (permalink)
I could go for a couple right now LOL
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 22:22:50 (permalink)
I could go for 3 right now, buttered toasted rolls, dogs cooked on a griddle in olive oil. you don't need toppings, give em to me plain.
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/07 22:27:04 (permalink)
Not plain for me... I want mine loaded with mustard, dill or sweet relish, chopped onion, and celery salt.. Yeah baby! Now we're talkin!

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/09 02:21:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lafinwithu1953

I lived in NH all my life and moved down to NC 4 years ago... I can tell you that the hot dog rolls down here stink... They are so bready, that you can't taste what's in them... That's one of the great things about the rolls in New England... You can actually taste what is inside....

Not to mention throwing them on the grill with a grilled dog, or putting some in a frying pan with a little butter spread on each side of the roll, and grilled along with your dogs, or steaming the rolls and some hot dogs for a steamed dog...

And, we won't even mention the lousy hot dogs down here... They don't even have individual links, except for Boars Head brand at $4.99 a lb... The rest they offer are in packages and are soft and mushy, and gross! They don't even taste like hot dogs to me... Those cheap packaged hot dogs suck! It's like comparing cheap hamburger and a filet mignon!

I too, moved from the north to NC. I grew up in Syracuse, where there were several excellent hotdog producers in the region.
While living in NC, it took me a while to figure out, and then accept the idea, that NC's idea of a good hotdog had little to do with the actual hotdog. In NC, it was all about the chili and coleslaw on top of the dog.

I suggest, when you're home in NH to stock up on you local favs and bring them back to NC. But, while your in NC, start looking to the toppings that make a NC dog great. One great place for a dog, is in Greensboro at a place called Yum Yums, near the campus of UNC-Greensboro. It was also one of my favorite ice cream shops and the best place to swig down a bottle of Cheerwine.
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/09 09:56:20 (permalink)
Thank you for letting me know.... I don't like chili dogs, so I guess Im out of luck I will definately stock up when I return home for a visit...

If I head to Greensboro, I will keep Yum Yums in mind...

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/09 12:20:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lafinwithu1953

Thank you for letting me know.... I don't like chili dogs, so I guess Im out of luck I will definately stock up when I return home for a visit...

If I head to Greensboro, I will keep Yum Yums in mind...

it was in NC that I acquired the taste for coleslaw on a hotdog. A nice coleslaw and dress up any of those store bought hotdogs.

PS where in NC are you? your profile still has you in NH.
Pdasilva0324
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/24 21:26:14 (permalink)
I grew up with these and always bring back memories. They were hard to come by here in Ohio but Kroger sells them now and actually calls them "New England Style"! B&M brown bread..baked beans..and a Fenway Frank..worked for me when I was 6-14 years old!
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/25 13:36:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pdasilva0324

I grew up with these and always bring back memories. They were hard to come by here in Ohio but Kroger sells them now and actually calls them "New England Style"! B&M brown bread..baked beans..and a Fenway Frank..worked for me when I was 6-14 years old!

I am in Durham, and other than Boar's Head Hot Dogs, the dogs here aren't edible IMHO :)

Linda
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/25 13:39:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pdasilva0324

I wish they had them at Kroger's here.. I would be

Yep, every Saturday night, rain or shine, beans, New Hampshire Provision hotdogs for us (now out of business, because owner died... Local business in NH), brown bread and homemade rolls at my house too... And Homemade Spaghetti on Wednesday nights. Oh how I miss the good old days!

Linda
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/26 05:16:44 (permalink)
For the life of me I can not figure out the attraction here, wer'e talking just plain cheap bread here. Just formed and cut differently.
It must be one of those things, if you can't get it here it must be good.
I just played in a golf tournament, free barkers on the turn, when I got there there were no rolls and I couldn't wait. I took a slice of plain white club bread and rolled it around the dog, held my mustard and onion without a mess. Perfect, tasted just the same, just a little less bread.
I do this often with light rye bread, in fact I like it so much better that way. Adds a little something to a hot dog that I'm not all that fond of from the begining. Chow Jim
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/26 05:54:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

For the life of me I can not figure out the attraction here, wer'e talking just plain cheap bread here. Just formed and cut differently.
It must be one of those things, if you can't get it here it must be good.
I just played in a golf tournament, free barkers on the turn, when I got there there were no rolls and I couldn't wait. I took a slice of plain white club bread and rolled it around the dog, held my mustard and onion without a mess. Perfect, tasted just the same, just a little less bread.
I do this often with light rye bread, in fact I like it so much better that way. Adds a little something to a hot dog that I'm not all that fond of from the begining. Chow Jim

There is definately a reason why I like the New England style roll better. There is not as much "Crust" (brown part to the bread) on this type of roll... The sides are soft bread just as in a piece of bread, and just as the bread was "perfect" for you for your hot dog, this roll is "perfect" for me.

On the other rolls the whole outside of the roll is "Crust", and I don't like the texture.... Also the New England Style rolls are good for steaming, toasting and grilling, and you can't beat them, nor can you toast or grill the other rolls!

Your probably not fond of hot dogs, because you have never had a "good" hot dog ... They don't come in a package, I can tell you that!

Linda

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/26 10:45:37 (permalink)
Linda, I wasn't replying to your post alone. I have read all the above and was just commenting as a whole.
And you can achive the same results with a standard roll. Just trim the outside edges with a serrated knife, then toast or grill or steam, done.

As far as eating a good dog, I've tryed most if not all of the so called greats.
To me they are just barkers some better than others but nothing to get my undivided attention, convenience food. Started back in the 50s with a local joint Joe & Nemo's 2 for 25cents, every major horse track on the east coast and recently Speeds in Newmarket Square. Don't know why he's called Speed, he's anything but that, stopped because I was hungry and in a rush. Another spot I've heard so much about is a push cart guy at a local lake here that grills his on the BGE. Thought I would stop to see what the attraction was, about 8 people in line well after the lunch hour, good dog but it was just a hot dog to me, it filled a cavity. Chow Jim
Lafinwithu1953
Junior Burger
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/26 10:51:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Linda, I wasn't replying to your post alone. I have read all the above and was just commenting as a whole.
And you can achive the same results with a standard roll. Just trim the outside edges with a serrated knife, then toast or grill or steam, done.

As far as eating a good dog, I've tryed most if not all of the so called greats.
To me they are just barkers some better than others but nothing to get my undivided attention, convenience food. Started back in the 50s with a local joint Joe & Nemo's 2 for 25cents, every major horse track on the east coast and recently Speeds in Newmarket Square. Don't know why he's called Speed, he's anything but that, stopped because I was hungry and in a rush. Another spot I've heard so much about is a push cart guy at a local lake here that grills his on the BGE. Thought I would stop to see what the attraction was, about 8 people in line well after the lunch hour, good dog but it was just a hot dog to me, it filled a cavity. Chow Jim

You won't get the same results by cutting a regular hot dog roll... Trust me :)
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2007/09/26 23:17:29 (permalink)
Up in New England, from the same bakery's line, buy a bag of New England frankfurter rolls, "All-American" frankfurter rolls, and their flagship white bread. Chances are the ingredients label and nutrition label are all identical. Then, toast a slice of white bread until it is almost but not quite burnt. Then, eat a piece of both frankfurter rolls, the toasted white bread, and the bread straight from the bag. All four samples will taste different. A product made from the same basic dough, though possibly more water added for different products.

As for the people who moved to areas where they can't get New England style frankfurter rolls, remember that "white bread" differs from region-to-region. Some of their dissatisfaction may result from the fact that they don't like the local version of "white bread" as much as they did in their old neck of the woods.

Remember, the whole frankfurter experience involves nuances in taste and texture.
rumpepper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2010/08/11 13:14:08 (permalink)
I know this is a 3 year old thread, but I was searching for rye hotdog buns and got this site. I wanted to ensure I had the niche market. I am working on just such a recipe for a restaurant I wish to have in the future. I am in the process of inventing my own New England Style Rye Sourdough Hot Dog Bun.

I have a neighbor who is from Germany, and her mother visits them all winter. She says my rye breads remind her of the rye bread of her youth in Germany.

At my restaurant, I will have my own homemade sausages and breads.

If anyone who had interest in that concept is still out, please get in touch.
sonjaab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
Re:New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls 2010/08/23 00:57:04 (permalink)
SCORE.............I was at Heids the other day thinking about you poor souls living in the wilderness and munching on a coonie and a chocolate milk!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1