The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63
Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 4:39 PM (permalink)
I have seen people inquire about where to buy "New England" style split top hot dog rolls - I just noticed that Trader Joe's sells them - the ones that I saw were whole wheat. This ia local here in MA but I would think that TJ's would offer the same products in its stores nationwide.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 5:33 PM (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Having never had the privlilege (sp.?) of checking out a Trader Joe's emporium, I can offer another suggestion. Surely one of the bakeries that makes these can ship some out to another part of the country: a friend of mine took my suggestion and e-mailed a bakery in Waterbury, CT. that makes them and they were glad to send her a pack of them -- 24, I think -- for a sensationally cheap price.
    Maybe some of you in New England will have a better option to offer, or something more concrete. But not a concrete, thank you -- I'm on a diet this week.
    Cementally Ill, Ort. Carlton in Blistering Hot Athens, Georgia.

cooker234

• Total Posts: 4
      RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 6:40 PM (permalink)
      We get ours from Nickles Bakery, a wholesale bakery, don't know if you have them in your part of the country or not.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
        RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 7:23 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

-- for a sensationally cheap price.

Thats because they are sensationally bad rolls.

There are far better rolls available in almost every market..from potato rolls to any good side-split hotdog roll.

Although I like a fresh toasted roll for my lobster/dog when I'm back up north, most areas of the country offer some brand of yeast(y)/potato type roll that beats the pants off any NE type split top rolls I've eaten.

In fact, most often I would get rid of the roll and munch on the lobster. I hate bad bread...to me, much of the sandwich experience starts with the bread. It either is excellent bread that compliments..or it should be served without the bread.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
          RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 7:39 PM (permalink)
          Wegman's has them. They're OK, neither better nor worse than an average hot dog roll.

Tom

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 7:42 PM (permalink)
            I had similar questions, upon questions a bit back.. Had a lot of good input:
            http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7294

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
              RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Sat, 06/24/06 10:31 PM (permalink)
              Aside from the novelty that a New England bun imparts for folks used to plain old hot dog rolls, there's the culinary practicality. The open sides take to buttering and toasting like nobody's business.

Hence, while the inside of the bun tends to dog and topping, the butter-toasted outsides supply the bonus taste...the one that makes you look at your your friend and say, "Man, this is really good. "
              The Bear

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Mon, 06/26/06 7:03 AM (permalink)
                Would love to see this style roll made with a rye bread recipe. I'd probably eat a barker more often. Chow Jim

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Mon, 06/26/06 6:46 PM (permalink)
                  I bet the rye would be great for polish sausage or brats!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                    RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Mon, 06/26/06 7:06 PM (permalink)
                    I've often thought that a New England style roll made out of English Muffin bread, toasted, would present a dog well.
                    The Bear

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                      RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Tue, 06/27/06 5:26 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by UncleVic

I can picture a N.E. style light rye bun grilled then a slice of swiss in the pocket barker on top a good mustard and topped off with carmilised onions. I'm not much of a hot dog eater, it's convience food for me but this dog I might travel for. Chow Jim

acornlover

RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Tue, 06/27/06 7:07 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

I can picture a N.E. style light rye bun grilled then a slice of swiss in the pocket barker on top a good mustard and topped off with carmilised onions. I'm not much of a hot dog eater, it's convience food for me but this dog I might travel for. Chow Jim

That sounds really good, rye hot dog rolls, mmm, a new niche in the hotdog roll industry?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                          RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/12/06 9:13 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by acornlover
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Jimeats
                          quote:
                          That sounds really good, rye hot dog rolls, mmm, a new niche in the hotdog roll industry?

Dearfolk,
                          Hold that thought! Don't let it get lost!! I plumb think y'all are on to something bigtime!!
                          Anyone out there part of a small, local bakery wanna try this? I'd be anxious to see how it works out.
                          Curiouser And Curiouser, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                          P. S. Now I find myself wanting a livermush sandwich on real Jewish rye bread (there's a combo to make any Orthodox Rabbi groan with disapproval!) with mustard and some Vidalia onion. Betcha I couldn't eat just one!! A cold glass of buttermilk on the side would be a nice plus, too. -- "Oy Gestalt!" mutters our hypothetical Rabbi. (We Presbyterians have no such dietary strictures.)

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                            RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/13/06 9:24 PM (permalink)
                            Got a note today from the UPS guy..
                            That means my New England Style hot dog rolls are HERE!
                            Yippee!
                            Dammit, I wasnt home to sign for them.

pkuczynski

• Total Posts: 23
                              RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Fri, 07/14/06 10:47 AM (permalink)
                              My sister sends me NE hot dog buns, usually two packages and a package of some awesome Portugese rolls too boot. GOOD STUFF!

Yes, toasting the sides puts the **magic** in the bun!

Paul

dg419

• Total Posts: 20
                                RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                I am a NE native, and just visited New England for the first time last year and discovered these rolls. I'm wondering what is the proper way to toast/grill the rolls? I'm ordering a pkg and at nearly $1 each and their long trek to NE, I want to make them properly so I can fully enjoy my experience!

booboobirdie

• Total Posts: 143
                                  RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                  At the risk of getting myself in too deep, I'd be happy to send any of you nice people here split-top rolls. I'm in New Haven, CT, and can get these anywhere.

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
                                    RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                    To all,

Living in the "Free" state of Maryland I can get the split tops whenever I want. I just go to the local "Giant" supermarket and pick up a pack of Pepperidge Farms split tops. I would imagine, although I cannot confirm this but if you have a grocery store that carries Pepperidge Farms they probably have split tops or can get them.

To toast them I just open them up and put them on the grill. Hope this helps. They are great with shrimp salad as well.

BB

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                      RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                      Grill works. A good doghouse will slap the naked sides on the griddle and toast 'em in grease, preferably butter, until properly toasted.

At home, think of how you'd make a grilled cheese sandwich, or plain old fried toast. Either brush the cut sides with melted butter, or butter lightly with soft butter, or have enough butter in the pan to dampen the outside of the bun when it hits the pan. Toast both sides and fill with tubesteak and appropriate condiments, including a good relish or picalilli for a New England experience.

Somtimes I saute some onions in a small pan, put them in a condiment dish for serving, then do the buns in the same pan.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                        RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by BakersBoy

To all,

Living in the "Free" state of Maryland I can get the split tops whenever I want. I just go to the local "Giant" supermarket and pick up a pack of Pepperidge Farms split tops. I would imagine, although I cannot confirm this but if you have a grocery store that carries Pepperidge Farms they probably have split tops or can get them.

To toast them I just open them up and put them on the grill. Hope this helps. They are great with shrimp salad as well.

BB

Funny, I thought this ancillary stuff didn't interest you.

dg419

RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 4:28 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the grill would work, but wasn't quite sure if it was the "best" way.

booboobirdie, you're teasing me. If you can get them to Nebraska for less than $20 for 24, I'm all over it. I know this is crazy expensive, but that's what they're charging.

And Pepperidge Farms doesn't have that particular product around here. I suppose they think the rednecks in NE just wouldn't get it. For the most part, that's probably true.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                            RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 5:42 PM (permalink)
                                            dg419 - you're confusing me with "NE." As a native New Yorker, "NE" means New England.
                                            At first, I was terribly confused by your sentence, " am a NE native, and just visited New England for the first time..."

I guess it's pretty funny when you consider some other state postal codes that have a different locale meaning:
                                            For example, did you know that SC is Southern California, or that LA is Los Angeles and SD is San Diego? in stead of South Carolina, Louisianna and South Dakota.

I think that both the "SC" and "LA" terms have had confusing results on this site.

oh, well. I hope you get your New England style rolls soon. I get mine from Wegman's. Love 'em. Much better than cheapo hotdog rolls. But I'm not above the potato roll either.

oh, yeah - when making a clam or other seafood roll, I butter the sides and grill it on a skillet (or pan). When having a hotdog, the barbecue grill works great.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                              RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Wed, 07/18/07 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                              Although I haven't tried them, I've seen the split top rolls in the summer months the bread area of our local (Allentown PA) Target store.

dg419

RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Scorereader

dg419 - you're confusing me with "NE." As a native New Yorker, "NE" means New England.
                                                At first, I was terribly confused by your sentence, " am a NE native, and just visited New England for the first time..."

I guess it's pretty funny when you consider some other state postal codes that have a different locale meaning:
                                                For example, did you know that SC is Southern California, or that LA is Los Angeles and SD is San Diego? in stead of South Carolina, Louisianna and South Dakota.

I think that both the "SC" and "LA" terms have had confusing results on this site.

I'm sorry to confuse you. I live in the state of NE. As in Nebraska. Pretty far away from the "other" NE.

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
                                                  RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                  I have looked for this type of roll for ever here in Dallas- no such luck- but a lobster roll just doesn't taste the same on a hot dog bun or on a ptato roll. booboobirdie- I would also be interested if you could ship to Dallas area at the above mentioned price :)

johnreed

• Total Posts: 58
                                                    RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                                    New England-style hot dog buns can be ordered from FamousFoods.com.

Best of all, they're baked by Wonder (my personal favorite).

http://www.famousfoods.com/hotdogbusl18.html

flamingo

• Total Posts: 21
                                                      • Location: springfield, MA
                                                      RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      King Arthur Flour sells a NE hotdog pan, a little on the side $39.95. They also have the recipe for the rolls.If you have the pan I quess you could use any type of flour.

highttp://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C80&byCategory=C141&id=5658h

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                                                        • Location: Lawrence, MA
                                                        RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                        I'm still trying to find the side-open poppy seed HD rolls. They sound delicious to this girl!
                                                        You mean LA DOESN"T stand for Lewiston-Auburn(Maine)?

dg419

• Location: nowhere, NE
                                                          RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by johnreed

New England-style hot dog buns can be ordered from FamousFoods.com.

Best of all, they're baked by Wonder (my personal favorite).

http://www.famousfoods.com/hotdogbusl18.html

No, best of all, they are much cheaper than the other places! $4.25 for 12!

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                                            • Location: Sharon, MA
                                                            RE: New England Style Split Top Hot Dog Rolls Thu, 07/19/07 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by mollydingle

I'm still trying to find the side-open poppy seed HD rolls. They sound delicious to this girl!
                                                            You mean LA DOESN"T stand for Lewiston-Auburn(Maine)?

No, actually among the hipsters in Boston it's Lower Allston.

Don't forget, you can also fill those butter-toasted gems with fried clams, scallops or oysters, or even any lobster salad you just happen to have lying around.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com