New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
muzzlehatch
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/14 20:31:08 (permalink)
Cheese and Dough:

near Newfane: W. Brattleboro, VT has a great diner, Rowleys (I believe) right on route 9; great place for breakfast with the locals, rustic setting. Don't know if you drink beer or not, but if you do you absolutely have to stop at McNeills in Brattleboro, on Elliot Street. The best brewery in New England if not the whole USA in my opinion, and there certainly aren't many NE breweries worth trying that I've missed. There's another good breakfast spot in Bratt I think maybe on Green St but damned if I can remember...

Bar Harbor: Rupunini is fun, large selection of seafood and other stuff, big beer & wine selection, good spot for people watching in the summer, outside. There's a diner I think named Jordans (a male name beginning with "J" anyways) that has a great lobster omelette and wild blueberry pancakes, it's a very popular spot and deservedly so. Also remember Galyns being very good, several years ago; but Bar Harbor is blessed with tons of restaurants, very touristy it is.

Sounds like an amazing trip! If I ever get married I'll have to consider the roadfood/roadtrip sort of honeymoon.
mikemeg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/16 16:24:14 (permalink)
You should stop for some gaggas in Warwick at the Wein-o-rama.
http://www.quahog.org/places.php?id=67
Small hot dogs with meat sauce. Not the best dogs I've ever had, but where are you going in such a hurry that you can't stop at a place called 'wein-o-rama'?

And of course consult the other thread talking about dining off route 95.
WhFastus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/24 17:22:03 (permalink)

Jane,

If you will be driving through the Stockbridge, MA area, check out Jacks Grill in nearby Housatonic. IIRC it's about a 10-15 minute drive from beautiful downtown Stockbridge via Rt. 183. It's not right on the main route though. Get detailed directions on their website: http://www.jacksgrill.com

Their pot roast is to die for!

Edward
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/24 20:01:30 (permalink)
More roadside ice cream stands than anywhere else in the country, from what I see. Seafood. My wife loves lobster anywhere near the ocean in New England. Our favorite is in Gloucester, Mass. right on a pier with the fishing boats going in and out to sea outside the window. It might have been called Gloucester House, but it was on the pier... that is the one.
eelranch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/24 22:13:47 (permalink)
If you go through Ogunquit too late for omelets, we can highly recommend the lobster ravioli at the Im-Pasta-ble Dream. The only thing that was wrong with it was that there wasn't more!
damnh
Junior Burger
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 18:22:06 (permalink)
OK, Roadfooders, time to chime in from one who actually lives in Kennebunkport (actually Arundel). Our family haome is just off Route 1.
First to Cheesewit and Janedough, congratulations!!! I will be getting married in Kennebunkport next April.
Here are some tips:
#1 The White Barn Inn is a 5 star restaurant-with a GUARANTEED PROPER DRESS CODE. Men must wear Jackets. Nuff said.
#2 The beach is close enough to the inn, but do not expect to be able to park. Better to leave your car at the inn and walk.
#3 You will be just outside of Dock Square, a tourist/boutique area in Kennebunkport. Parking is tough, again, you may find it easier to walk. The Clam Shack is reviewed by Jane and Michael. A little pricey for many locals, but terrific fried seafood. No parking here. 100% takeout.
#4 Federal Jack's is a brewpub and home to the Shipyard Brewing Company (Shipyard Ale, Old Thumper) 2nd story brewpub, nice place for drink with nice views. Downstairs are paintings of Civil War soldiers, in particular General Joshua Chamberlain.
Feel free to email me with any questions.
In Portsmouth, NH: look up Gilley's-late night lunch cart-reviewed by Jane and Michael.
Also The Friendly Toast, eclectic place with foods made from scratch-great breakfasts-each table setting is a different formica kitchen set from the 50's and 60's.
For beer lovers, try the Portsmouth Brewery in Market SQ (my favorite) or Redhook (eastern brewery of the Northwestern chain)
In Kittery, ME: look up Bob's Clam Hut-reviewed by Jane and Michael-beware that this is in the middle of a traffic filled outlet district. Again great seafood, and the best place to eat in this outlet area.
In York, ME:-just up the road above the outlets is Wild Willy's with makes burgers, just burgers using black angus beef. But the star in York is Flo's Hot Dogs, again reviewed by Jane and Michael. The "hot sauce" is a stewed onion relish. A Flo Dog is with hot sauce and mayo and celery salt. Dogs, only dogs, only steamed dogs on steamed buns, but cheap. Chips, soda, and dogs. To see people eat 4 or 5 of these at a sitting is common.
In Wells, ME-You must do the Maine Diner if at all possible-www.mainediner.com-check out the "Dale Arnold", a Hot Lobster Roll made with lobster meat in a buttered, grilled roll, with hot butter poured over it ( and I don't eat lobster).
In Portland,ME, Becky's at Hobson's wharf is a classic diner.
Gritty McDuff's is a great brewpub with English style ales-www.grittys.com
In Freeport,ME Visit LL Bean-open 24 hrs, 363 days a year
Coffee is great at Maine Roasters (similar to Starbucks)
Many restaurants here are tourist traps
Gritty McDuff's has a location in Freeport, ME as well.
In Wiscassett, try Red's Eats for large lobster rolls-see Food network-"the best of" review.
As you approach Bar Harbor, start looking for lobster pounds once you turn from Ellsworth on to the "causeway". You will actually be in Trenton,ME, as Bar Harbor is actually on Mount Desert Island. Look for the steaming pots and compare poundage and price, as Sundancer7 suggests.
Lobster is $4.99-$5.99 per lb. around here on average, $7.99 for the larger ones.
A "chicken lobster" is one that is 1 to 1 1/4 lbs. A triple lobster dinner at $19.95 may have 3 1 lb. lobsters. Most restaurants offer twin lobster dinners for $10 to $20.
Coffee in this area is #1 Dunkin Donuts, located on every corner, #2 Starbucks #3 all others.
No Krispy Kremes in ME yet, a few Tim Horton's, an occaisional Seattle's Best.
Hope i have helped.
DaveM
damnh
Junior Burger
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 18:32:22 (permalink)
A note about lobster rolls and the coast of Maine:
Lobster rolls are mad up of lobster meat, condiments, a roll, AND A PORTION SIZE. Simple.
Lobster meat is either real or not.
Condiment is usually mayo, or mayo mixed with herbs and spices, or hot butter.
Rolls are either hot dog rolls, homemade rolls, grilled or ungrilled.
Portion size varies-nuff said.
Some places may add lettuce and celery.
The only differences are in personal preferences based on the 4 main ingredients above.
One persons perfect lobster roll may be another's mortal sin-just because that person doesn't like the condiments.
This is true all over New England.
Your long winded Roadfoodie, DaveM
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 18:38:53 (permalink)
DaveM, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Your advice/critiques/reviews/thoughts are great. I am looking forward to this trip more than ever. I've been to most of these places in Maine, but Jane has not. As I wrote earlier in this thread, we will be keeping a journal and will report on our stops.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 19:04:00 (permalink)
Muzzlehatch: I think the diner you're thinking of on Route 9 in W. Brattleboro is the Chelsea Royal, which I recommend most highly for breakfast. Just fantastic.
quote:
Can't resist adding the obvious: Moody's Diner (Waldoboro)

Fair warning: Moody's has been sliding downhill over the last few years. Quality, especially for breakfast, is not what it used to be.

However, one classic NE diner that's still just as good as ever is the Agawam in Rowley MA, on Rte. 2. Come for the burger, stay for the pie.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 19:05:34 (permalink)
Dave M: I'm trying to find the name - if any- of a fried fish filet joint on a wharf in downtown Portland. It is not a diner - it is a dining room, kitchen, bad restrooms, and picnic tables out side that you have to fight off the seagulls for your food. The pont is, I've never had better fried filets anyplace ever. I guess they serve other food, but that's all I have ever ordered.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/26 20:07:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Dave M: I'm trying to find the name - if any- of a fried fish filet joint on a wharf in downtown Portland. It is not a diner - it is a dining room, kitchen, bad restrooms, and picnic tables out side that you have to fight off the seagulls for your food. The pont is, I've never had better fried filets anyplace ever. I guess they serve other food, but that's all I have ever ordered.

Ok, I'm not Dave M. but perhaps you might want to hear from me anyway. I think there are one of two restaurants you might be talking about. One is Gilbert's Chowder House which I still think has some of the best Seafood Chowder in New England. The other is the Porthole. I've only been there for breakfast so I can only say they serve up a mean Blueberry Muffin
damnh
Junior Burger
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/27 18:39:52 (permalink)
WanderingJew, Could Seafarer John be talking about Tiny's right next door to the Prince of Fundy Cruiselines?
I don't remember picnic tables, but I do remember fried seafood takeout.
There is also the one that wins all the "best of awards", but that is in South Portland.
DaveM
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/27 21:59:56 (permalink)
Wandering Jew and Damnh: thanks very much, but I don't think you've got the place. What the Hell, I 'll just pack up and get up there myself and find the place again. If I find it, I'l let you all know...
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7965
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/28 10:13:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by damnh

WanderingJew, Could Seafarer John be talking about Tiny's right next door to the Prince of Fundy Cruiselines?
I don't remember picnic tables, but I do remember fried seafood takeout.
There is also the one that wins all the "best of awards", but that is in South Portland.
DaveM

I'm not familiar with Tiny's. Is it so tiny that I missed it
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/28 23:06:37 (permalink)
Thank you ALL for the great suggestions & recommendations! We have seven weeks until The Big Day, so keep 'em comin'! CheeseWit & I will feel like you're on our honeymoon w/ us, as we drive from one roadfood stop to another...

Today we went to the Kutztown Festival and stopped on the way at the DK Diner in West Chester for breakfast. (A MUST stop if you're in that area of PA.) CheeseWit thought I'd enjoy one of the 7 (count 'em - SEVEN!) versions of SOS, or perhaps their signature maple walnut hotcakes (YUM!). But nooooooo, I disappointed the poor guy by ordering just a bowl of Cheerios! Listen, after the wedding, I'll eat all the SOS he wants me to (not to mention lobster rolls and blueberry pancakes, etc), but until then, I have a wedding gown to fit into, even if I have to sew my mouth shut!

The food @ the Festival was "bad" enough, but it's only once a year, so how could I pass THAT up??? Same strategy for our honeymoon road trip to New England, perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime experience that is to be enjoyed from both a culinary standpoint, and others...

JaneDough
Mavlily
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 16:57:27 (permalink)
To KokomoJoe.....I believe that the maritime museum that you were trying to think of in Maine is in Searsport....just up the road a bit from Belfast. Nice place to visit. Also....in Brattleboro, VT on Route 9 West is a place called The Chelsea Royale Diner....great place to eat!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 17:22:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Sundance: your lobster pound sounds a lot like Youngs,a huge warehouse operation in Belfast? Maine. We had one of the great feasts of our lives there one August evening.

A four pound lobster split for the two of us, corn on the cob, and a bottle of well made Ontario white wine (BYOB), great little harbor to sit at a picnic table on the dock and watch, and good company all around us. A memorable evening!

Oh yeah, and a delightful maritime musuem just up the coast in the next town - cant' remember the name...

Great Observation Seafarer:

It was Young's and they also had a restaurant on the main route. I accidentally found this one. No doubt it was rustic, but beautiful. Had lobster on the deck and the setting plus the lobster was super. I am going back on 8/7/03 on my way back from Nova Scotia.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 17:58:57 (permalink)
As you are planning on spending time in Bar Harbor, I'll make the obvious suggestion of the Jordan Pond House, located right in Acadia National Park. It's a bit fancy, not exactly roadfood, but the food is good and the setting cannot be beat. I did some work for the Park Service a few years ago that involved travelling up to Acadia and dined there a few times - had some really terrific scallops. Of course, I was being reimbursed for meals. In any event, they have a website, (http://www.jordanpond.com) so you can check it out for yourself. Afternoon tea there is worth considering.

On a perhaps irrelevant note, I'd have to agree with the poster who mentioned Worcester's art museum - it's really excellent, as good as many in much larger cities. Worth a look, if time allows. Best wishes and congratulations,

JL
CheeseWit
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 18:22:39 (permalink)
Thank you JL
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 18:28:53 (permalink)
Cheesewit, I hope you are planning on taking JaneDough to the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival in East Greenville PA on August 8th or 9th. It's 100X better than the Kutztown Folk Festival because it's still a not-for-profit festival run by local people to show the history and culture of the area, which is how the KFF was in its early years. Just hop on the NE extension, get off at Quakertown, turn right and you'll be there within 15 minutes at the most.

She can learn how to make stuffed pig stomach, braid your hats out of straw for you to wear in the field, make candles, render hog fat, and roll your cigars.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 18:32:36 (permalink)
Any woman that can do all that is my kind of woman. I would only wish that she owned a adult beverage store

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 577
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 20:06:07 (permalink)
Cheese and Jane, you will not be disappointed with the looks of the White Barn Inn. We walked past it on the way to the beach, which is awfully close. The beaches in Kennebunk were not very crowded last week. They are truly lovely and peaceful.
CheeseWit
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 20:14:12 (permalink)
RubyRose, after Jane learns to stuff pig stomach, render hog fat, make candles, braid a hat, and roll cigars, the only thing left is raise a barn. Can't make that festival on those dates...will be seeing Bruce Springsteen at the new Lincoln Financial Field in Philly.
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

Cheesewit, I hope you are planning on taking JaneDough to the Goschenhoppen Folk Festival in East Greenville PA on August 8th or 9th. It's 100X better than the Kutztown Folk Festival because it's still a not-for-profit festival run by local people to show the history and culture of the area, which is how the KFF was in its early years. Just hop on the NE extension, get off at Quakertown, turn right and you'll be there within 15 minutes at the most.

She can learn how to make stuffed pig stomach, braid your hats out of straw for you to wear in the field, make candles, render hog fat, and roll your cigars.
CheeseWit
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 20:16:40 (permalink)
Stan, really looking forward to The White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport. Their website has up to date pics of the property, and it looks wonderful.
bigbryan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/09 21:22:12 (permalink)
on your way, take a detour to fort lee new jersey, sort of on the way anyway, jerrys pizza on the triangle, best in the entire northeast.
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/16 00:24:45 (permalink)
Fellow Roadfooders:

Your wishes and suggestions are overwhelming! (What's also overwhelming is that there're only 32 days until our wedding -- YIKES!!!) Thank you for everything.

We're SO looking forward to our honeymoon trip... CheeseWit & I will report in upon our return. Til then, TC & KIT!

JaneDough
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/28 10:38:20 (permalink)
Be Prepared. i just left Kennebunkport and DockSq. yesterday.
Parking still not any better.
The Clam Shack is $9.95 for a 1/2 PINT container of Fried Clams.
Bartley's Dockside next door has started advertising their take out business and has a booth outside now to take orders.
Still too pricey for many of the locals.
DaveM
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/28 11:03:17 (permalink)
Don't know that this is the correct page for this, but...

Michael's review of the Circle E in Hancock brought back memories of a great stop one afternoon on our way home from four days of sampling too much wine in the Finger Lakes region.

We sat at the counter of this tiny little diner, I had a grilled cheese and coffee, my wife had an enormous rare thin sliced roast beef on whole wheat and a milk shake. The place is wonderful, the women who run it are very friendly and helpful, the locals keep the place hopping, and the food is good.

I wish Michael had not reviewed the place - now we'll never find a parking place ( parking is almost non-existent) and our little secret is no more.
jackier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/28 11:16:35 (permalink)
A few thoughts....

Skip Rein's Deli, which is fine but pretty ordinary, and go to the glorious Adam's Polish Delicatessen on Talcottville Rd. in Vernon instead. The owners are so kind and helpful, and they'll make you wonderful sandwiches on bread you thought was only available in Poland or Austria. They have a good selection of walnut, poppyseed, and cheesecakes. You should grab a sour cherry juice or aronia berry juice from the cooler, or try a Polish ice cream. Choose from among a zillion Polish chocolates (dark surrounding prune, anyone?). And do try an enormous freshly made doughnut with plum filling. Then you can have a romantic picnic in your car.

Get off 95 at the Westbrook exit and make a pilgrimage to Lenny and Joe's (see reviews). We love the atmosphere, bustling New England seafood house. The non-milk based chowder is lovely, as are all the fried seafood offerings. Great whole-belly clams, which rival those in Ipswich's best spots.

A really memorable meal may be had at Roseland Apizza in Derby, off 84 and then off 34 in Derby, CT. [It's also reviewed.] Have the clam pizza, briny and delicious. (No sauce! No cheese!) The enormous shrimp/sauteed spinach/garlic/tomato over linguine dish is tremendous. The yeast, aromatic bread is made in house, and can't be resisted. This place is THE REAL THING!

The Chauncy Creek lobster bound, on a tiny loop in Ogunquit, hasn't changed much in 40 years. You will love the windy road which hugs the shore. This is no tourist trap! They really know how to cook lobsters. You must bring your own sides. YUM!
CheeseWit
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/28 12:00:08 (permalink)
We leave three weeks from today and JaneDough and I are very excited. As we have stated on this thread before, we will be stopping at many of your suggested roadfood stops and will report back to all of you on this thread after we return around the 28th of August. We appreciate all of your suggestions and reviews and advice. We will have copies of Eat Your Way Across The USA and Roadfood and printouts of this thread in our convertible.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1