New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
hucknbock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/29 09:50:09 (permalink)
Guys,
I notice all of the suggestions for Maine are towns right along the coast, which is fine if you are a tourist in need of a seafood fix, but up in inland Maine we eat, too! If you get the chance, go to the A-1 Diner in Gardiner, about 45 minutes north of Portland, just off I-95. A1diner.com. They have two menus -- one strictly diner food, e.g. meatloaf, tuna salad, etc, the other their "specials" which is stuff like crispy Aisian Game Hen and spiced pork with orange mango salsa. Outstandingly funky ambiance, and they make an effort to buy all their produce locally.

Speaking of which, Hancock County (Ellsworth/Bar Harbor) has an aggresive program to promote restaurants with local produce, and you will see stickers in the windows of some restaurants with "Farm Fresh from Hancock County". Remember, road food isn't roadfood if all the lettuce comes from California!
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/29 10:22:04 (permalink)
Thanks for these suggestions. We hope to stop at the A-1 Diner. And we want to support the Hancock County farm fresh effort. Thanks again!
quote:
Originally posted by hucknbock

Guys,
I notice all of the suggestions for Maine are towns right along the coast, which is fine if you are a tourist in need of a seafood fix, but up in inland Maine we eat, too! If you get the chance, go to the A-1 Diner in Gardiner, about 45 minutes north of Portland, just off I-95. A1diner.com. They have two menus -- one strictly diner food, e.g. meatloaf, tuna salad, etc, the other their "specials" which is stuff like crispy Aisian Game Hen and spiced pork with orange mango salsa. Outstandingly funky ambiance, and they make an effort to buy all their produce locally.

Speaking of which, Hancock County (Ellsworth/Bar Harbor) has an aggresive program to promote restaurants with local produce, and you will see stickers in the windows of some restaurants with "Farm Fresh from Hancock County". Remember, road food isn't roadfood if all the lettuce comes from California!
DaveM
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/29 16:17:58 (permalink)
Correction: Chauncey Creek Lobster Pound is in Kittery, not Ogunquit.
it is on the way to Kittery Point.
DaveM
jackier
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/30 23:10:38 (permalink)
OOPS! Sorry! I meant Kittery...Anyway, the little coastal road is charming, and they really know how to cook lobsters....
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7019
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/31 02:21:53 (permalink)
Congrats CheeseWit and JaneDough!
Geeze, several foodies have given you some AWESOME places to eat in. I have only a few places to add to your collection.....my former restaurant, Black Cow Tap and Grill........two locations, Newburyport, MA (on the ocean, with outdoor deck and bar) and Hamilton, MA (the original Cow). I opened the Cow in Hamilton in 95 and Newburyport in 99. I'm sure you'll have an extraordinary dining experience at either one. Ask for Mike Durati, he's the best Maitre'd I've ever worked with! Tell him Lisa Lee sent you!
Have a great vacation.......there are so many good places to eat in NE! Don't forget The Daily Catch in Boston and Radius, also in Boston.....so much good food. If you get to the Daily Catch, say hello to Mr. Lee for me, he's the Vietnamese exec. chef......awesome!! Best calamari on the planet! Oh and the seafood fra diavolo with lobster.........to die for. Go to the Hanover St. location. Definately worth a detour! Squid ink pasta, calamari salad, stuffed squid, mussels marinara, clams in garlic and olive oil, ask Mr. Lee to make you his famous tuna.....thick slab of fresh sashimi grade tuna pan seared then finished with a sauce of sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, basil, white wine and Pecorino Romano cheese. When does the next plane leave Alaska for Boston?
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/07/31 08:33:22 (permalink)
Lisa, THANKS!!! We will try to get to one of your old restaurants. I will use your name-thanks for that. We are SO looking forward to this trip. I know we'll be in the thick of tourist season, so we'll be patient during any waits in traffic or at restaurants. Thanks again.
Ralph Cramden
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/08/03 12:31:45 (permalink)
Congratulations on your new marraige Jane Dough and you can definitely be well fed on your honeymoon in New England. One recommendation I have is Barnicle Billy's in Ogunquit, Maine which is just south of Kennebunkport. BB's has a table-service and a counter-service restaurant next to each other in the Perkins Cove part of Ogunquit..an area of shops and restaurants. We definitely recommend the counter service. The lobster rolls are incredible. There is a great candy store as well in Perkins Cove. After you eat...you can walk some of it off on the Marginal Way a beautiful path along ocean cliffs that starts from Perkins Cove. Our dog can't read..so he misses the 'no dogs allowed' sign. Bar Harbor and neighboring Acadia Park are magnificently beautiful. It is expensive but the food is very good in the restaurant at the Bar Harbor Inn and has beautiful views. For a nice lunch try the restaurant at Jordan Pond inside Acadia Park......the popovers are great. Hope you have a great time.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1