New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
2003/05/18 12:28:52 (permalink)

New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions?

Honeymooning in New England this August... ISO roadfood from greasy spoons to 5 stars... anything goes - you only live once! BTW, great desserts should be considered too, cause... life's short - eat dessert first! Thanks!

66 Replies Related Threads

KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/18 12:48:03 (permalink)
    New England is bigger than you think!!! Could you narrow it down a bit! LOL!!!
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/18 15:10:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for the geography lesson, Joe, but the point is we'll make travel plans according to where the best roadfood is! So far, we know we'll be in Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor, ME and Newfane, VT. Perhaps somewhere in MA for a couple days too, driving up from Philadelphia. Does that help? Appreciate your suggestions, thanks.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/18 15:18:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

Thanks for the geography lesson, Joe, but the point is we'll make travel plans according to where the best roadfood is! So far, we know we'll be in Kennebunkport and Bar Harbor, ME and Newfane, VT. Perhaps somewhere in MA for a couple days too, driving up from Philadelphia. Does that help? Appreciate your suggestions, thanks.

JaneDough, there is a ice cream stand on the main street of Bar Harbour that sells blue berry soft serve ice cream. I was there the Sunday after 9/11 on a bird watching trip. It is on the corner and it is his own recipe. I guarantee that you will go back for seconds. He advertises it heavily.

While you are there, drive your car to the summit of Cadillac Mountain for one of the supreme views in the USA. You are standing on a huge rock mountain with a 360 degree view of mountains,water and vista.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/18 17:01:51 (permalink)
    Plenty of seafood stands open now on the North Shore of Mass. Essex, Ipswich, Rowley and around Cape Ann. Read some of the reviews for clams etc from Stern's. Worth a stop or two.
    In CN don't pass by Abbott's Lobster in the Rough in Noank (near Groton). Again, Read the review here on this site...but I recommend it as a good stop before heading north.
    Boston has a number of places worth mentioning, if you will be in the city at all. (See the reviews)
    You won't go hungry on this honeymoon.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/18 18:54:30 (permalink)
    When driving the shore, if you see a place called Lobser Pound, please check and see if they do lunch or dinner. You will pick up a bargain. While driving from Bar Harbour back to Portland on the coastal route, I stopped at a lobster pound, where they warehouse lobsters, I had two 2 pound lobsers with boiled corn and beers for $20.00. It turned out that several places did that. The ambiance was not all that great as I ate on the dock overlooking the bay, but the price and taste was super.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/19 09:44:09 (permalink)
    Try the Dam Diner about 10 miles west of Newfane Vt.
    Good food.
    All the tables are old kitchen tables
    SAGUD
    jlindquist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/19 10:44:22 (permalink)
    The Lobster Pound that we know of is on US Rt. One in Ogunquit, north of Kittery but before Kennebunk. It was recommended to us and we found it to be excellent.
    Jan Lindquist
    Stratford, Connecticut
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

When driving the shore, if you see a place called Lobser Pound, please check and see if they do lunch or dinner. You will pick up a bargain. While driving from Bar Harbour back to Portland on the coastal route, I stopped at a lobster pound, where they warehouse lobsters, I had two 2 pound lobsers with boiled corn and beers for $20.00. It turned out that several places did that. The ambiance was not all that great as I ate on the dock overlooking the bay, but the price and taste was super.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/19 11:05:56 (permalink)
    Sundance: your lobster pound sounds a lot like Youngs,a huge warehouse operation in Belfast? Maine. We had one of the great feasts of our lives there one August evening.

A four pound lobster split for the two of us, corn on the cob, and a bottle of well made Ontario white wine (BYOB), great little harbor to sit at a picnic table on the dock and watch, and good company all around us. A memorable evening!

Oh yeah, and a delightful maritime musuem just up the coast in the next town - cant' remember the name...
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/19 12:11:29 (permalink)
    Now that we've narrowed the geography down a bit...LOL! Here goes: I checked my map program and this one says going from Philly to Maine you'll end up on the Massachusetts Turnpike in Auburn/Worcester right in central MA! I have lived in that area since 1966 and can give you some great ideas from Diners to 4 Stars to out of the way places that you can find if you know they are there! So just write another post here confirming that you'll be going that route and I'll do some suggesting! And is there a chance you'll stay over night in this area? There's a fantastic art museum in Worcester (that also serves a nice lunch!) and there's a museum that displays armour!!!! It's really cool!Anyway...let me know what you'll be doing!
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/20 08:28:26 (permalink)
    The Brunswick Diner in Brunswick Maine is great.
    It should be in the Roadfood book.
    It is small and old.
    We stopped for breakfast and really enjoyed the place.
    Never saw such cheerful people.
    I belive it is on Pleasant street.
    stoneware
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 09:51:28 (permalink)
    Try a website called southernmainecoast.org,it has links toarea website and chamber of commerce and other useful info on maine. happy eating and good luck on the wedding.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 10:56:56 (permalink)
    That's funny, JaneDough, I'm getting married this summer too and taking a honeymoon by driving from PA to MA (either the Cape or Martha's Vineyard), then onto Kennebunkport, ME for a couple days, then to Bar Harbor for about 4 days, then over to Newfane, VT for a couple days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate as I have a convertible and would love to take in the sights with the top down. Guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag...JaneDough and I are engaged and are marrying in August. We plan on hitting all of the great Roadfood spots listed in Michael and Jane's book. Looking forward to this trip so much!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 11:20:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

That's funny, JaneDough, I'm getting married this summer too and taking a honeymoon by driving from PA to MA (either the Cape or Martha's Vineyard), then onto Kennebunkport, ME for a couple days, then to Bar Harbor for about 4 days, then over to Newfane, VT for a couple days. Hopefully the weather will cooperate as I have a convertible and would love to take in the sights with the top down. Guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag...JaneDough and I are engaged and are marrying in August. We plan on hitting all of the great Roadfood spots listed in Michael and Jane's book. Looking forward to this trip so much!

Congrats

Your trip sounds like fun. If you are driving up the coast to Bar Harbour, stop at one of the coastal lobster pounds. I got two 2lb lobster dinners for $20 and fresh is not the word. They had several thousand and I just picked out one of the dudes and we enjoyed lunch.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 12:18:45 (permalink)
    Thanks, all, for your delicious suggestions, and best wishes! Sounds like we (cheesewit & I) will have LOTS of great roadfood eats to choose from between here and New England. As for the route, KokomoJoe, I'll have to let cheesewit jump in on that one -- the honeymoon's HIS job! Happy eating, and remember, Life's short - eat dessert first!
    JaneDough
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 12:22:34 (permalink)
    OOPS! Last message was from ME (JaneDough) but I was logged in as CheeseWit... Oh well...

The REAL JaneDough
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 13:25:59 (permalink)
    Congrats to Cheese and Dough!!!!! Our Roadfood newlyweds! Oddly, we will be going to Cape Cod, Kennebunkport and Mystic in late June/early July. So I promise to give a report. We are staying at all B & B's, so there won't be any breakfast entries---but I can't wait for the lobster rolls, system hot dogs, pizza, clams, ice cream, Indian pudding...
    jlindquist
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/24 14:10:03 (permalink)
    If you're going to be in the Bar Harbor area, Booth Bay Harbor is not too far west along the coast. There is dining at a lobsterman's co-op dock there that we found to be very basic but good.
    See their website: http://www.mainelobstercoop.com/
    For the Boothbay Harbor main page, see: http://www.boothbayharbor.com/
    Lots of good things there.
    Jan Lindquist
    Stratford, Connecticut
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/28 13:31:28 (permalink)
    If you swing through Western Mass...the town of Westfield has a great old-school place called the Sheraton Inn. Southwick, MA (to Westfield's south) has The Summer House with great burgers and ice cream...

And if you swing up through the Hilltowns north of Westfield, go to the little store right over the bridge into town and get a great Italian sub...and head to the Huntington Country store for ice cream.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Rt. 11
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/28 15:48:13 (permalink)
    Get your honeymoon off to a great start by stopping for pizza in New Haven, just a couple hours away from Philly. Pepe's, Sally's, and the Spot are all located on Wooster Street, which is just a short hop from I-95. You most likely haven't had pies like these before, that is, unless you've already eaten there.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/30 10:05:42 (permalink)
    Just spoke w/ friends from New Haven CT area and they "second the vote" on above pizza places!They also suggested "Modern Pizza" on State St. (CT)??? I've never been but my friends say it's as good or better than those on Wooster St.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/05/31 10:40:08 (permalink)
    The pizza at the relative newcomer Modern may very well be just as good as the other pizzerias in New Haven. One thing's for sure, because it's a little roomier it's a bit easier to get a table there. When I visit my parents who live in the New Haven area and we want to go out for a pie, it's usually Modern that we'll visit just because we know we'll get seated in less than an hour, which isn't always the case on Wooster Street, where lines typically spill down the street. And Modern's menu is much broader as well, but that matters little to me since my pizza choices are simple and pretty much set in stone.

Still, while Modern has it's appeal, the Wooster Street experience is just that, an experience. The pizzerias there, particularly Pepe's and Sally's, are destination restaurants, steeped in history and lore. Each has its own fiercely loyal fans (I'm sworn to protect Pepe's), and the pies at both are perfect.

Head to Wooster Street if you're passing through the area and haven't had New Haven pizza before. If you've already been there and want something similar but with a tad more convenience, go to Modern.

quote:
    Originally posted by KokomoJoe

Just spoke w/ friends from New Haven CT area and they "second the vote" on above pizza places!They also suggested "Modern Pizza" on State St. (CT)??? I've never been but my friends say it's as good or better than those on Wooster St.
    CheeseWit
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/04 16:42:43 (permalink)
    Ok gang, here's the itinerary for our (JaneDough and I) honeymoon to New England from the Philly area. YOUR choices for our Roadfood stops are invited. I will be reporting on our stops/your suggestions after we return. Leaving Phila. on Mon. Aug. 18. Driving to Cape Cod and staying in Barnstable for two nights. Checkout on Wed. 8/20, driving to Kennebunkport and staying there for two nights. Having dinner at the White Barn Inn (where we're staying) on Thurs. 8/21. Checkout on Fri. 8/22 and heading to Bar Harbor for 3 nights. Then, we checkout on Mon. 8/25 and drive to Newfane, Vermont and stay there for 2 nights. Having dinner Monday night at the (Four Columns Inn where we're staying). We checkout on Wed. 8/27 and drive back to Philly. Let me know where I should go.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/04 17:54:27 (permalink)
    Leave early and have Wooster Street Pizza at Pepes for lunch in New Haven, just off 95. Then maybe a few New York System hot dogs in Providence for a little afternoon snack. Happy honeymooning.
    bugbear
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/04 22:34:51 (permalink)
    Can't resist adding the obvious: Moody's Diner (Waldoboro) and Round Top Ice Cream (Damariscotta) -- also the Maine Diner on Rt. 1. If nearby, look for Cole Farms in Gray. In MA, I ate at the Salem Diner a while back, and it was great. I don't know if it is still there.
    chuckc54
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/05 22:09:32 (permalink)
    Try Reins Deli on I-84 in Vernon for New York Deli food. In Olgonquit, ME there is the Omelet Factory on US 1.
    cfitz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/06 12:01:39 (permalink)
    Here's a good joint in Bennington, Vermont: Vern's Fish Fry. It's right on Main street off the center of town. I've lived closer to the ocean all my life, but these guys make the best goddamned fried fish sandwich I ever ate. Light, flaky, nice cornmeal breading, DELICIOUS!

I'm going there for lunch today!!

Cfitz
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/06 14:26:19 (permalink)
    Here in Rhode Island there's a nice irish pub called Wards Publyck House in the Cowesett Section of Warwick. They have outstanding Fish n CHips on Wednesdays and Fridays and phenomenal stuffies (stuffed clams) all week. They have a decent selection of beer including Rhode Island's own Newport Storm. They also have a live Irish Session on sunday evenings and a guitar player on thursday nights.

Also for some good central Connecticut Chicken Pies go to Tasty Chick in Vernon CT. Forget Reins Deli, it's nothing special and besides you do Kosher Style Deli's in NY not New England!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/06 14:31:36 (permalink)
    Honeymooners: You shouldn't miss Al Forno in Providence, RI.
    Fine Italian food, but specialty is pizza - affordable interesting wine listand a nice patio for dining on a pleasant evening. I think it's written upin one of the Stern's books...
    CheeseWit
    RE: New England-bound from Philly... Suggestions? 2003/06/06 22:33:09 (permalink)
    All of your suggestions are great. I will have these listed on paper and I will have my copies of Eat Your Way Across The USA and Roadfood for handy references as we drive through New England. As I said before, I will write my reviews of your suggested stops and submit them here at Roadfood.com.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1