New, FF coming to USA from afar ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2009/11/12 13:35:53 (permalink)

New, FF coming to USA from afar ...

Recession or not, international restaurant concepts are fanning out in the world's hungriest fast-food market.

http://money.cnn.com/gall...ine.fortune/index.html

14 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8074
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/12 23:13:01 (permalink)
    Pollo Compero is excellent as far as their chicken goes.  Can't say much for their sides.

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 07:44:41 (permalink)
    What sides did you have, Marlene?  I read that they vary regionally.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 10:03:35 (permalink)
    White rice

flavored rice of some sort

pintos that had cilantro in them

side salad

The plantains and crema are good, but they're not a side.

jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 11:17:42 (permalink)
    Living nearby to a large Filipino enclave I much prefer eating a locally owned Filipino eatery than the Mac, Don and Al's of the Phillipines

I would like to see FL's Pollo Tropical branch out from the droopy penisula hanging off of the US throught the mainland especially to here in So Cal. When ever my wife and I travel to So Flo to visit her family we always eat at Pollo Tropical at least twice
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 15:59:57 (permalink)
    A few of these are in DC, which is no surprise. DC is famous for international faire. Nando's actually looks pretty good. And I may even try out Pollo Campero. Jollibee, however, does not look very interesting, so it's no sweat that there isn't one of those here.

post edited by Scorereader - 2009/11/13 16:01:25
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 16:48:47 (permalink)
    Uh Oh!  Found a Jollibee fairly close to work.

Looks like I'll be going there in about an hour.

I'll be sure to take my camera with me.
    ken8038
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 21:53:42 (permalink)
    <<I would like to see FL's Pollo Tropical branch out from the droopy penisula hanging off of the US throught the mainland especially to here in So Cal. >>

They've made it as far north as NJ. I pass the one in Metuchen on my way to Costco, but I've never thought to stop there. In Union/Middlesex Counties in NJ there are literally dozens of Mom and Pop places with that do similar things with Chicken, so the arrival of Pollo Tropical is not much of an attraction for me.  This is my favorite:

http://planetchickenrest.com/planet1/

[link=http://www.pollotropical.com/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.aspx]http://www.pollotropical....ator/StoreLocator.aspx
    [/link]
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/13 23:17:16 (permalink)

I did it.  I went to Jollibee for lunch.

It was in an area of the city that is mostly Latin and Philippine.  (I don’t know if that is correctly stated)  There were several people eating there and they were all Pilipino,

This is what I had intended to eat:

Is it called Palabok?  It was #12 on the menu, but #10 also came with a piece of chicken so I ordered #12.

I should have looked at the ordering counter a little better when I got there, but it took 30 minutes to drive there when it should have only taken 15 minutes.  My dining time was driving time.

When I said #12, it was immediately put upon my tray. It was already boxed up waiting for me. That bothered me immediately.

This was my lunch:

You can’t see it in the picture but what saw when I opened the box was a block of something with a couple slices of egg. It was one mass.  Not appetizing looking at all.  Then I tasted it.  ICK!  I love rice noodles and they were supposed to be in there somewhere so I mixed it all up and tasted again.  Double Ick! 

Then I tasted the chicken.  It was absolutely delicious, very hot and juicy underneath that crunchy coating.  The chicken was so hot that it was difficult for me to eat as I don’t pick up fried chicken with my fingers.  They did give an inferior plastic fork, but it was just a tad better than trying to eat it with a spoon.  I did what I could and would have eaten another piece if I had ordered it.   The chicken came with a container of brownish gravy that tasted like it came out of a can.

I mixed, I stirred, I added some of the lemon juice that was served in mass produced plastic packets and no matter what I did, I could not eat it.  I threw it out!

This is what my box looked like right before hitting the trash:

Back to the counter to order what looked like an interesting dessert.  Okay, I ordered 2 different desserts.

But first I took many pictures of the meal holding tank. They all came out glary.

You probably can’t see it but there are boxes of pre-made meals in there waiting for more suckers.

This is what I ordered:

This is what I got:  Halo Halo

Not much different from the picture.  It was very pretty, but didn’t have much taste.  It reminded me of the Vietnamese dessert, Che Ba Mau on drugs.

It took them almost 10 minutes to prepare it.

The inside of the glass was smeared with a red bean paste and then in went tasty gelatinous cubes and strings.  Then a layer of several types of hard beans covered with shaved ice.  A scoop of ube (sweet yam) ice cream, a scoop of vanilla looking ice cream and a quarter portion of custard taken right out of a commercial individual container of custard.  Then it was topped with milk.

If it would have been topped with coconut milk like in the Vietnamese dessert it would have been good.  I only ate a small portion of it.

I also bought the Peach Mango Pie.  What a throw back to days gone by!  This reminded me just of the old fried apple pies that McD’s used to serve.  Not bad! Maybe too much goo to fruit ratio but it tasted good.  I just loved the fried crust.

Will I go back?  Maybe for chicken and pie but nothing else.

I don’t think this will make it in mainstream America but might have a place in Philippine neighborhoods.
    EatingTheRoad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/14 07:19:01 (permalink)
    Well apparently fast food is fast food no matter where it originates. Thanks for going an sharing with us. That Halo Halo looks interesting...I'd give it a try. At least the chicken was good.....and that pie...that does bring back some good ol' McD's memories.

Nice report and pictures!

Where would you rank this amongst fast food establishments? (so we have a gauge)
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/14 09:38:11 (permalink)
    For the chicken I'd give it a nine.  I haven't had a ten yet at any fast food place.

Maybe if I grew up eating the salty, garlicy blob as a child I might like it.  But as someone who never had it before, I'll never have it again.

This brings down my ratng to a three.

I'll go to Pollo Compero for chicken as it's their specialty.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/14 10:21:35 (permalink)
    Note to billyboy, Bob Chon chicken will be opening at 104 John Street.

http://www.bonchon.com/eng/index.php
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/19 01:28:30 (permalink)
    jonjax71 

I would like to see FL's Pollo Tropical branch out from the droopy penisula hanging off of the US throught the mainland especially to here in So Cal. When ever my wife and I travel to So Flo to visit her family we always eat at Pollo Tropical at least twice

I am thrilled that we now have a handful of POLLO TROPICAL'S right here in NEW JERSEY !!
    However, being here in south Jersey, AC area, I've still gotta drive 100 miles north to the nearest one !!
    (by Woodbridge Mall )  ......it's near another favorite place of mine, HAROLD'S DELI , in Edison..

We just had an Arby's go out of business in Northfield, NJ , about a mile away from me.... AC area..
    would LOVE to see POLLO TROPICAL come in to replace that Arby's..
    (I did NOT shed any tears over Arby's closing....  and I was'nt surprised either, as I rarely saw any cars there, anyway!)
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/19 07:37:19 (permalink)
    There is a Pollo Tropical and a Pollo Campero literally next door to each other on US-1 about a mile from my house.  I had some of the grilled chicken from Pollo Campero once, and found it to be tastey.  I've never had anything from Pollo Tropical.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:New, FF coming to USA from afar ... 2009/11/19 12:32:55 (permalink)
    Don, I believe Pollo Campero added the grilled chicken to compete with the Pollo Loco's.  It wasn't on their original menu.

Give the fried a try.  Just don't eat the skin if you're trying to be healthy. Those extra frying calories don't penetrate the meat.

Maybe I'll go there for lunch tomorrow.  Today is my day off!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1