New Generator

Author
edwmax
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2107
2013/12/07 16:42:12 (permalink)

New Generator

I bought a 3200/4000 watt (212 cc) Predator,  http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-gas-generator-69729.html  gen set from Harbor Freight this past week.    A few minute ago, I oiled it; added 1/2 gal gas; set the choke and power switch.  I decided to pull the rope easy a few times to oil the internals and prime the carb.  On the 4th easy pull it cranked and ran.    ... I got it on sell for $279 and think I got a good deal.

Has anyone had any experience with this model gen set?   .... I never heard this model before so I did a little web search.   From what I have read it seems Honda can't import and sell their engines in China.  But they can build engines in China and sell them.  The Predator seems to be that Honda made engine (???) and some call it a "Honda knock-off".

Anyway, it did crank and run smooth this first time.

post edited by edwmax - 2013/12/07 19:01:02

6 Replies Related Threads

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/07 17:17:40 (permalink)
    I cannot figure out why I don't just go ahead and spend, whatever it takes to run my house generator. I get highly anxious worrying about losing power both here and at home...like tomorrow's storm portends!
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/08 10:46:21 (permalink)
    Can't speak to the Predator used on a generator.....but I build mini bikes from time to time, and I know allot of people use them for bikes, especially the Predator 6.5 engine. It is a Honda clone, even to the extent that allot of parts are interchangeable.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/08 17:12:54 (permalink)
    I bought the 6.5Hp (212cc) horz. and the gen set at the same time.   ... I ran the gen all afternoon at a rental house that I'm cleaning and making repairs.  it ran steady and never cough once.   ...
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/09 03:21:18 (permalink)
    edwmax

I bought a 3200/4000 watt (212 cc) Predator,  http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-gas-generator-69729.html  gen set from Harbor Freight this past week.    A few minute ago, I oiled it; added 1/2 gal gas; set the choke and power switch.  I decided to pull the rope easy a few times to oil the internals and prime the carb.  On the 4th easy pull it cranked and ran.    ... I got it on sell for $279 and think I got a good deal.

Has anyone had any experience with this model gen set?   .... I never heard this model before so I did a little web search.   From what I have read it seems Honda can't import and sell their engines in China.  But they can build engines in China and sell them.  The Predator seems to be that Honda made engine (???) and some call it a "Honda knock-off".

Anyway, it did crank and run smooth this first time.

There are knock offs of the Honda utility engines all over now.  Honda's small engine manufacturing facility is just down the road a piece here in Thailand.  I specified one of their engines for a US customers production product, so had a chance to talk to them about the knock offs.  They told me the best knock offs are coming out of Korea, I don't believe they rebrand their products under any other name, so your getting an engine most likely from China.  When I look around here there's probably 5 different brand names using that same engine I see in your web reference, different frame design, and a couple different generator designs.  Getting parts for them from here isn't a problem, but not sure if you need engine parts in the states you can get them, unless the direct Honda parts work.  Before I buy anything that looks like it might need service parts here I always check with the seller if they have a repair center.  Here most do, as we are very close to China.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15307
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/09 07:40:48 (permalink)
    We bought a Westinghouse 8500/7000 watt capacity gas-powered generator from Costco (online) this fall to cover the basic needs of the refrigerator and freezers, and to hopefully keep us in minimum service lights and communications during an outage.

We have tested it a few times and have 25 gallons of gas stored for it...about 60 hours of running time according to the book.. We may add a direct connection to the house wiring next year, but for now our hvy extension cords can do the job.
    The motor is a Chinese made model 421 cc in size... It just happens to be the same motor that powers my Hsquevana 13 HP snowblower,
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6398
    Re:New Generator 2013/12/09 10:09:33 (permalink)
    I have a built-in 2800W propane powered Onan generator in my Class B camper van RV. If something were to happen we could live in the RV as we normally do a third of the year anyway.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1