New Haven Classic?

Author
Ace Holleran
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
2004/04/27 14:19:57 (permalink)

New Haven Classic?

A bud of mine says that the Yankee Doodle Diner--somewhere in the New Haven area--makes a burger to remember. I may be off on the exact name. Can anyone elucidate me with details--or mayhaps a mini review?

Ace in Bpt.[|)]

5 Replies Related Threads

efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: New Haven Classic? 2004/04/27 14:49:05 (permalink)
    Here is what the Stern's have to say about the place!

Reviewers Writeup
    “The Doodle,” as its friends know it, consists of a twelve-stool counter in a skinny cafe that is truly a hole in the wall. The tiny front window is frequently fogged up from the furious cooking activity that goes on just inside. If you can see through it, you will see dozens of eggs marshaled in cartons and the grill on which the eggs, burgers, hot dogs, and cheese sandwiches sizzle.

We recommend the Dandy Doodle Double-Double Cheeseburger, served on a hard roll with bacon, onions, lettuce and tomato; and years ago when we first dined at the Doodle, we were seduced by a small enthusiastic sign behind the counter that advertises the Yankee Doodle Pig in a Blanket. After describing the ingredients – a frankfurter, melted cheese, bacon and barbecue sauce – the sign concludes with an exclamation: "YOU WILL HAVE MORE!" Sure enough, we did; and we still do, any time we hit a counter stool with a hankering for a wiener. If you sit up front, you can watch the counter man make the Yankee Doodle Pigs in Blankets. A porcine frank is slit and stuffed with cheese, then wrapped with bacon and cooked on a hot grill until the dog blisters and the bacon is crisp. This tube steak is slapped into a toasted and buttered bun, accompanied by a small paper cup of hot relish. Two or three make a satisfying meal.

Other than the cuisine, Yankee Doodle’s charm is its ambience. The smell of the grill perfumes the air, and diners are serenaded by a dishwasher that periodically belches forth a rude, rumbling clamor down at the far end of the counter. One griddle man does all the cooking, and one waitress handles the counter. Customers' bills are slapped down on the Formica right along with their meals.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18493
    RE: New Haven Classic? 2004/04/27 15:06:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ace Holleran

A bud of mine says that the Yankee Doodle Diner--somewhere in the New Haven area--makes a burger to remember. I may be off on the exact name. Can anyone elucidate me with details--or mayhaps a mini review?

Ace in Bpt.[|)]

Yankee Doodle is on Broadway, right near York Street in New Haven. I used to eat lunch there often when I was at Hillhouse, and I'd usually stop in and get some coffee and an English muffin to go when I got off the bus on my way to school in the morning. Now, that was a very, very long time ago, but I don't remember the Doodle's hamburgers being anything out of the ordinary.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: New Haven Classic? 2004/04/27 17:08:50 (permalink)
    Was there a year ago with the now Mrs. M.
    Cheeseburger was great.
    What we remember most was the speed in which it was delivered-within minutes of ordering.
    I swear it was faster than McDonald's.
    daveM
    Bulldoggy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: New Haven Classic? 2004/05/16 15:11:13 (permalink)
    The great thing about New Haven is the array of burgers and pizzas, 2 of my favorite foods. When I head down there, I go to the Yankee Doodle, Louis Lunch and then Asally's Pizzeria and Pepes.

mikeyjake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: New Haven Classic? 2004/05/19 12:50:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ace Holleran

Ace in Bpt.[|)]

I lived 50 feet from the Doodle in college. Great stuff. Also, don't forget Louis' Lunch, the place that supposedly invented the burger... just a few blocks away.

http://www.louislunch.com/

and, on my way up from NYC, we always hit...
    http://www.superduperweenie.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1