New Hot Chicken Location

Author
caver
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
2008/09/25 14:22:34 (permalink)

New Hot Chicken Location

So the restaurant isn't new, but they are in Murfreesboro now. Not sure how I missed it until recently, but The Chicken Shack moved to Murfreesboro from Smyrna. It's over on Rutherford Blvd. behind MTSU in that little strip mall.

They have some pretty good hot chicken that actually reminds me of Boo's with a dry spice coating. You can get large numbers of wings, or larger pieces.

The catfish was ok, I prefer a more cornmeal based coating, these were almost like tempura battered and a little small. Some of the other items looked pretty good though, just haven't tried a lot of different things yet.

I got my chicken Hot, which will probably be the top end for most folks and I would say just a little hotter than Prince's medium I think. They have hotter but I haven't tried it yet.

It's definitely some good stuff that will put a dent in your hot chicken craving. Or fan it life. ;-)

21 Replies Related Threads

utvols
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2008/11/27 01:57:54 (permalink)
    Caver,

Recently ate at Bolton's on Main Street. Amazing!!! There is also a new place in Hendersonville serving Hot Chicken on Fridays. It's a beer joint that advertises it's Bar-B-Q. If your interested I'll go by and get a name and address. Thanks for the Hot Chicken update.
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2008/11/27 03:28:08 (permalink)
    Didn't know they moved, go heads up, thanks
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3994
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2008/11/27 07:54:11 (permalink)
    I am so jealous!

I love "hot chicken" but can't find any in Dallas except for some mediocre wing joints.

So, are there any "joints" like Bolton's or The Chicken Shack in the Big D?
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2008/12/01 23:11:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by utvols

Caver,

Recently ate at Bolton's on Main Street. Amazing!!! There is also a new place in Hendersonville serving Hot Chicken on Fridays. It's a beer joint that advertises it's Bar-B-Q. If your interested I'll go by and get a name and address. Thanks for the Hot Chicken update.

By all means, let's hear about it. I don't get up that way too often, but I do have some friends up there. Could be a good excuse to go visit. ;-)

The one thing I miss about working in Nashville was the variety of restaurants available. Oh well, the 'Boro is doing pretty good.

BTW - speaking of hot, here's a plug for Lemongrass Thai & Sushi on Barfield Crescent Rd. here in Murfreesboro. Everything is *excellent*, very fresh, good portions, and so tasty you won't want to leave. I would say this is definitely the best Thai I've had in Middle TN, and right up there with the best food of any kind in town.
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2008/12/01 23:18:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

I am so jealous!

I love "hot chicken" but can't find any in Dallas except for some mediocre wing joints.

So, are there any "joints" like Bolton's or The Chicken Shack in the Big D?

As far as I can tell, or that I've heard hot chicken is only a Nashville thing. But, I would encourage you to experiment with your own spice mix. Find some good fried chicken first, and apply your dry spice rub while it's still hot so it sticks. Personally I think it's best with a lighter breading.

You can't really tell until it's on the chicken, so you might try several variations at a time. Cayenne, garlic powder, dash of cinnamon etc... It can at least help quell that craving.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/24 00:54:03 (permalink)
    I anticipate being in Nashville sometime this spring, and I was wondering if anyone has eaten at Prince's Hot Chicken Shack. The Sterns gave it a very good review, but I'd like to hear of some other peoples' experiences there. Is it worth a stop? 
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/27 13:14:59 (permalink)
    Hi nocarolina, I think if you search back through previous hot chicken threads you'll find plenty of recommendations for Prince's.  Also, I believe most people would recommend starting no hotter than medium if you've never had it before.

If you still want to try hot, I would recommend getting a separate order of wings, hot that you can sample.  Seriously, hot means hot, ease into it.  ;-)
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7677
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/27 13:38:36 (permalink)
    caver

Hi nocarolina, I think if you search back through previous hot chicken threads you'll find plenty of recommendations for Prince's.  Also, I believe most people would recommend starting no hotter than medium if you've never had it before.

If you still want to try hot, I would recommend getting a separate order of wings, hot that you can sample.  Seriously, hot means hot, ease into it.  ;-)

I concurr,

"Hot" was tolerable but barely, I think I would have enjoyed "medium" much more.
    When I ordered "hot" I thought it would be along the lines of hot buffalo wings which to me really aren't all that hot, well...I found it that the hot chicken sandwich and hot buffalo wings are two entirely different animals "figuratively" and not "literally" of course.

MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/27 13:40:30 (permalink)
    I don't understand why it hasn't spread to Nooga by now.  Heck, I can't even get country-style steak here.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/27 21:05:09 (permalink)
    caver and wanderingjew, thanks for the info. I'll probably be passing through Nashville on the way back from the NOLA gathering in April, and Prince's is a "must". While I'm there, I'm going back to the Loveless, but I'm a little concerned about what I'll find. I understand that there's been some "changes" there, and change is often a not-so-good thing in the wonderful world of roadfood.
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/01/28 04:28:25 (permalink)
    I haven't been to the Loveless in years, but then I was never terribly impressed with their fare.  It was certainly decent but nothing special, and definitely over priced and crowded.

I have to admit I'm not that familiar with the current offerings in Chattanooga, we used to hit Bea's when we were down that way and they were still open.  For a country fried steak try Chili's.  I know it's a chain, but they actually do a pretty good one.
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/02 08:33:58 (permalink)
    I'm not far from MTSU. I'll have to make it over that way to try it. Thanks
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/02 08:48:13 (permalink)
    Bear in mind I'm referring to country-style steak, which is a cubed steak, lightly floured and browned, then baked in a water & flour gravy.  (Sylvan Park serves a good country-style steak.)  We used to have 4 or 5 restaurants that served it, but it's totally disappeared from the menus.   
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/03 19:35:13 (permalink)
    I believe that's basically a Salisbury steak.  I've never heard the term 'country style' applied to that.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/03 20:30:37 (permalink)
    caver

I believe that's basically a Salisbury steak.  I've never heard the term 'country style' applied to that.

Well. every meet n' three I've been to in the mid south served it that way and called it Country Fried Steak

Jim2903
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/03 23:39:35 (permalink)
    I'll be in Nashville this week with the family and I've always wanted to go to Prince's. However, my wife and daughter are lightweights when it comes to hot food, and I know Prince's mild is pretty powerful. Does Prince's have anything that's truly mild? And if not, can anyone recommend a place that has great Nashville hot chicken along with other things that the family can eat? I usually do my roadfooding while traveling on business; my wife can't understand why I'd drive miles out of the way to eat when the McDonald's is right there at the next exit ... ;)
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/04 00:17:56 (permalink)

Did anybody ever eat at Jim Dandy's chicken?  Ive been to 2 places. The first was in Biloxi, Mis back in 71 and when I moved to Denver they had one in Capital hill.  They always had spicy and regular.  The hot was enough to sit up and take notice.  Much better than KFC .
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/05 19:57:17 (permalink)
    Country 'fried' steak is typically cubed steak, flour-egg-flour dredged, then fried.  It comes out crispy, and is served with gravy, but it's not cooked in it.  What you described is something entirely different.
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/05 20:11:48 (permalink)
    Jim2903
    I'll be in Nashville this week with the family and I've always wanted to go to Prince's. However, my wife and daughter are lightweights when it comes to hot food, and I know Prince's mild is pretty powerful. Does Prince's have anything that's truly mild? And if not, can anyone recommend a place that has great Nashville hot chicken along with other things that the family can eat? I usually do my roadfooding while traveling on business; my wife can't understand why I'd drive miles out of the way to eat when the McDonald's is right there at the next exit ... ;)

Prince's mild isn't really that hot, but if you have reservations it's probably best to ease into it.  The term 'shack' is appropriate for most hot chicken establishments in that they have a limited menu.

If the family isn't into it, you might be best served by picking you up some hot chicken then driving back over around Opry Mills or something to give them their choice of restaurants.

Now Boltons does have a somewhat larger menu with non-sweat inducing items like fish (can get it hot) and ribs.  http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=5184

I can't believe I just saw this, I guess I know where I'll be July 4th.
    http://www.musiccityhotchickenfestival.com/

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/05 20:13:29 (permalink)
    caver

Country 'fried' steak is typically cubed steak, flour-egg-flour dredged, then fried.  It comes out crispy, and is served with gravy, but it's not cooked in it.  What you described is something entirely different.

Sign Out | My Roadfood

actually what you're describing is Chicken Fried Steak which is completely different from Country Fried Steak. Chicken Fried Steak is popular in Texas and Oklahoma and is usually served with white Gravy. Country fried steak is popular in the Mid-South and is usually served with brown gravy. I used to be confused with both too and others here on the forum have "straightened me out"

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=80602&mpage=7
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2009/03/05 20:34:57
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    Re:New Hot Chicken Location 2009/03/06 00:45:24 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

caver

Sign Out | My Roadfood

actually what you're describing is Chicken Fried Steak which is completely different from Country Fried Steak. Chicken Fried Steak is popular in Texas and Oklahoma and is usually served with white Gravy. Country fried steak is popular in the Mid-South and is usually served with brown gravy. I used to be confused with both too and others here on the forum have "straightened me out"

I have to disagree with that distinction, the gravy does not define the dish I think.  That was at one time a matter of frugality and convenience when everyone had a milk cow that had to be milked twice a day, but now it's really just personal preference.

At most you might make a distinction between pan fried or deep fried, but I consider the terms 'Chicken fried steak' and 'Country fried steak' essentially interchangeable.  I'd rather be eatin' it than talking about it though, now I'm hungry!

Now to call something 'Country style...' is just kind of ambiguous.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1