New Item at Costco

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
2005/11/18 21:18:14 (permalink)

New Item at Costco

24oz of Pastrami made with the Carnegie deli recipe. We shall see.
$9.99

30 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/18 21:20:57 (permalink)

Please report back on the quality. We are due a Costco run before Xmas. (200 mile RT but we include Jungle jims in that foodie search!)
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/19 16:12:50 (permalink)
    My Costco didn't have it yet. Is it frozen or in the meat section?
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/25 16:12:35 (permalink)
    Did a Costco run today, and tried the pastrami. Pretty much the real deal! In the chilled section, with hams and cold cuts, not frozen.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/25 17:06:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Please report back on the quality. We are due a Costco run before Xmas. (200 mile RT but we include Jungle jims in that foodie search!)

If you're going to make a 200 mile trip to go to Costco, you should go to the one in Nashville. We don't have Jungle Jim, but I can get Prairie Pogo to show up.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/25 19:54:43 (permalink)
    AL:
    200 mile trip to a Costco?? geeeeeeeeez...................... I must be living in Costco heaven cuz I have 6 of them all with in 12 miles of my home. Two of them are just 3 and 4 miles from my front door.
    I just went to there locator map and found 16 Costco's in the Bay area which puts them all with in 40 miles of down town San Jose, which means I'm also in Pastrami heaven.........My Costco already sells San Francisco's finest Columbus brand pastrami.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 00:26:10 (permalink)
    I have to make a Costco trip soon......waiting until after the Thanksgiving weekend! I never saw pastrami at ours but that doesn't mean it's not there now. I will check it out soon. (Ours is 10 mins. from the house.)
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 01:07:10 (permalink)

There are two Costco Stores on the North Side of Indianapolis (roughly 120 miles each way).
    There are two Costco Stores on the North Side of Cincinnati(roughly 110 miles each way).
    There is One Costco South of Nashville (roughly 200 miles each way).

Louisville is on the list for a Costco store to be constructed sometime in the next two years Near the Interchange of I-71 and I-265. Thats also where the new Ohio River bridge will cross the river making the run to Cincinnati about 15 miles shorter and eliminate going thru the city to get out onto I-71
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 12:39:43 (permalink)
    We have no Costco's in Milwaukee but I understand they are coming to town. Is it like Sam's Club where you have to pay a membership fee? After 5 years we just let our Sam's Club drop as we didn't spend and save enough to make up the $35 membership fee.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 13:17:24 (permalink)
    The problem I have with buying in bulk is that they take the consumer for idiots. Let's say you are buying soap usually in a 3 bar package; what the bulk place does is keep the price the same as the 3 bar package but they give you 6 bars instead. So you're spending just as much for the item, but getting more of it. You're not spending less money. The actual money you were willing to spend on the item is the same. In the long run, you end up buying more because you think you're getting a deal. We end up with more, more, more and spending at best with a lot of will power the same, but most likely because it is a special trip a whole lot more. Walmart and Target are the cleaned up version of this "warehouse" business model. I love Costco, but they are there to swindle us.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 13:34:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

The problem I have with buying in bulk is that they take the consumer for idiots. Let's say you are buying soap usually in a 3 bar package; what the bulk place does is keep the price the same as the 3 bar package but they give you 6 bars instead. So you're spending just as much for the item, but getting more of it. You're not spending less money. The actual money you were willing to spend on the item is the same. In the long run, you end up buying more because you think you're getting a deal. We end up with more, more, more and spending at best with a lot of will power the same, but most likely because it is a special trip a whole lot more. Walmart and Target are the cleaned up version of this "warehouse" business model. I love Costco, but they are there to swindle us.

What????
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 13:46:14 (permalink)
    WTF?
    Poverty Pete
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 14:00:27 (permalink)
    Let me see whether I have this straight. Costco is swindling me by giving me six bars of soap for the price of three?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/26 14:18:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Let me see whether I have this straight. Costco is swindling me by giving me six bars of soap for the price of three?

To heck with soap! I want the 6 for 3 pastrami deal!!!!!!

Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/27 11:19:29 (permalink)
    I think I know where cornfed was going, just that soap is not a good example as 6 bars should last twice as long as 3. Not so with lunch meat that expires in a week or fresh rolls that expire in 2 days.

Also the pre-cooked Pot Roast (found in the same section as the Pastrami)is outstanding, I use it to make Roast Beef PO Boys.
    imsofull
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/27 11:58:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cornfed

We live in San Diego, the birthplace of the warehouse concept. Price Club started here and then was bought out by Costco. Sam Walton came here to check out the Price Club before he started Sam's Club.

We love Costco, but like ANY store, you need to be a smart consumer.
    If there are only two members of your family, there is no need to buy
    the three pound can of Tuna. By the same token, if you purchase the
    $4.99 Rotiserrie chicken you can make two meals out of it.

I dont think they treat us like "idiots". I guess you have to be smart and shop smart...being an idiot is on the shopper's shoulders
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/27 13:00:54 (permalink)
    I agree 100% with the previous poster. When you are shopping at a warehouse store (something I LOVE to do, by the way) you need to keep your head firmly attached to your shoulders and be a careful consumer. I buy the 8000 roll of toilet paper package, because, to the best of my knowledge, TP doesn't go bad. Could I possibly get it cheaper on sale at Safeway? Maybe, but I don't have the time at present to do all the comparison shopping. And my BJs takes coupons, so if I use those, I can still save. Milk is cheaper at BJs, eggs are wonderful and usually cheaper...rotisserie chickens are at least $1 cheaper and are larger than the puny, sad ones at the grocery store, jewelry/watches/DVDs are all cheaper at BJs...produce is usually excellent, and in response to those of us who can't buy huge amounts of perishables, our store is now packaging a lot of that stuff in smaller containers. In fact, we now do most of our major shopping at warehouse stores, and "supplement" at the supermarkets.

Right now, the store has a lot of wonderful holiday gift ideas...I (or Santa) will be buying a bunch of Christmas stuff there -- much easier than braving the crowded malls!

I also buy vitamins -- the BJs house brand (Berkeley and Jenson) is USP-verified, which is important to the pharmacist in me.

Sooooo, while I'm not sure if I save money, I get higher-quality products than I would at Wally World (my least favorite place to shop on the planet) and I enjoy the experience. And they have great snacks!!

PS I have a Costco membership as well...I'll be going there today...their inventory varies from BJs a bit. What can I say...Joanie LOVES the warehouses!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/27 13:21:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by imsofull

We love Costco, but like ANY store, you need to be a smart consumer.
    If there are only two members of your family, there is no need to buy
    the three pound can of Tuna. By the same token, if you purchase the
    $4.99 Rotiserrie chicken you can make two meals out of it.

I dont think they treat us like "idiots". I guess you have to be smart and shop smart...being an idiot is on the shopper's shoulders

I agree. When "Price Club" first came to our area, almost everything they sold was a better deal, now, however, I find a lot that is no cheaper than the local grocery store. I figure if there is no price advantage to buying in bulk, let them store it and I'll save the wear and tear of hauling 40 pounds of chocolate chips. That said, there are many good deals to be had, and much of what they sell is very good quality...especially meats and produce.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7288
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/28 03:00:51 (permalink)
    Maybe we're a special case since we live in Alaska and everything in our grocery stores is SOOO expensive. Much cheaper to buy in bulk at Costco. Plus their meat is restaurant quality.....most of it is from IBP in Nebraska. Two years ago I bought some fresh pork from the local grocery, cooked it, it tasted like ham. They're now injecting the pork with a sodium solution to "tenderize" it. It was awful. We catch our own fish and buy meat and just about everything else at Costco. They also have the cheapest gas prices in town!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: New Item at Costco 2005/11/28 06:42:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Maybe we're a special case since we live in Alaska and everything in our grocery stores is SOOO expensive. Much cheaper to buy in bulk at Costco. Plus their meat is restaurant quality.....most of it is from IBP in Nebraska. Two years ago I bought some fresh pork from the local grocery, cooked it, it tasted like ham. They're now injecting the pork with a sodium solution to "tenderize" it. It was awful. We catch our own fish and buy meat and just about everything else at Costco. They also have the cheapest gas prices in town!

Interesting. Is there a lot of competition between grocery stores? My brother in law lived in an area of Colorado that had one grocery store, and I was shocked how expensive everything was. Around here (metro-NY) you can get most grocery items (cereal, canned goods, laundry detergents) cheaper at a local store when they are on sale...which is often, probably due to the competition.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: New Item at Costco 2007/09/04 21:36:21 (permalink)
    I recently found tamales at Nashville's Costco from a company called Isabella's. They're not quite as good as the handmade ones at Henpeck market, but they're half the cost. I believe I'll lay in about eight dozen, and nibble away the winter!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: New Item at Costco 2007/09/05 07:09:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I recently found tamales at Nashville's Costco from a company called Isabella's. They're not quite as good as the handmade ones at Henpeck market, but they're half the cost. I believe I'll lay in about eight dozen, and nibble away the winter!

They'll only last you a week or two.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: New Item at Costco 2007/09/05 08:32:25 (permalink)
    Pete,
    What filling do they use? We are headed for Costco this Saturday and will look for them. Where did Costco stash them? with the salsa etc? How are they packaged?
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: New Item at Costco 2007/09/05 08:54:50 (permalink)
    I was on the Costco website checking out how to buy a cheap car, which along with pastrami they will help you buy, and realized that Costco also has a coffin deal. What a place!!

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=20595&eCat=BC|20595&lang=en-US&whse=BC&topnav=
    Poverty Pete
    RE: New Item at Costco 2007/09/05 20:57:12 (permalink)
    They're filled with a spicy pork. I think they were in the refrigerated section near the hummus, which is also pretty good. There are twelve in a bag.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: New Item at Costco 2008/08/15 20:09:49 (permalink)
    Here's something to try at Costco: "Pecorino Toscano" sheeps milk cheese imported from Italy. This isn't the usual Pecorino grating cheese you put on pasta. This is what the Italians call Pecorino Fresco, meaning that it isn't aged but is still soft (with a cheddar-like consistency). It has a rind that isn't edible so just cut it off. Very fresh, mild with a delicious "dairy" flavor. Great with fruit or sliced on sandwiches with Genoa salami or mortadella.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: New Item at Costco 2008/08/15 20:43:09 (permalink)

Like every good parent, teaching our kids good shopping habits is a real goal. Today I purchased (on-line) a membership for my Wisconsin daughter. Next week they will open a new CostCo in West Madison, WI and her family will be "carded" and ready. We did orientation walk-arounds here in Louisville during their 4th of July visit.

A Dad's gotta do what a Dad's gotta do !!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6348
    RE: New Item at Costco 2008/08/15 20:55:19 (permalink)
    Now that was a great idea...and a smart thing to do!!!!Great dad!!!
    AudraC
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: New Item at Costco 2010/11/12 14:17:05 (permalink)
    I tried the "Pecorino Toscano" it was really delicious and so fresh!

But I actually found an AMAZING discovery at Costco as well! Its a Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel, I ran across it in the refrigerated aisle so I thought I would try it! All you have to do is pop it in the oven! I was a little skeptical because I am not the biggest bread pudding fan, but I love caramel! When I tried it, I was instantly hooked, it's out of this world! The top had a light crispy texture while the middle was gooey and soft. Then I tasted the salted caramel sauce that just put me over the edge. Its not too salty, just enough to help balance the sweetness of the caramel, its so rich and warm. I like the sauce because its a little thicker then other caramel sauces I have tried. (I hate soupy caramel!) I stocked up for the holidays! For thanksgiving I am planning to make pumpkin pie and serve the Bread Pudding with salted caramel, my family is going to love it! I think the two together will be a great pair!

Its Called Bread Pudding with a salty Caramel Sauce: Made my Home Chef Kitchen (Signature Recipe) I would totally recommend it! 5 Stars!
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: New Item at Costco 2010/11/12 14:37:25 (permalink)
    the pastrami is the real deal and there cheeses are a good deal.i have cheese from ther i have had for 4 or 5 years. i had 5 yr old gorgonzola from ther last week it was ecellent.this time of year the get a bunch of exotics in.ther buluga CAVIAR WAS half price of any 
    one else now its illegal and the next grade down is the same as the buluga was.when i ran my catering biz i saved a lot ther over
    sysco on some items and got around 1200 a year in cash back on my executive membership 100$ a year it was well worth it.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1