New Jersey Barbeque Championship

Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1019
2009/06/29 09:04:04 (permalink)

New Jersey Barbeque Championship

This event is coming up soon.  I was there last year (and several years before that.)  They have lots of good food for sale. I opted for the three rib sampler with baked beans and cole slaw.

They also sell racks of ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, etc.  but I had to leave some room.  Maui's Dog House is just a few blocks down the street!

Here is the info on the cook-off

http://www.njbbq.com

9 Replies Related Threads

cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/06/29 09:26:54 (permalink)
    I really wish it was more to the north, 180 miles is a bit far for me.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/06/30 12:02:34 (permalink)
    Hey Chris,
    Thanks for the heads up------------110 miles one-way is a stretch------was it really worth it---i.e. quality and quantity of Q ---or a lot of show and no go---similar to billyboys post re NYC BBQ Fest-- weather permitting and some more positive feedback G and I may saddle up and head on down.
    Once again THANX----Russ
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/06/30 17:44:45 (permalink)
    I got pissed a few years or so back when I went to it..
    cause unless one was a judge, one could'nt buy or sample the good stuff...

us pions were delegated to the trailers that were selling mostly 2nd tier food...(and not much of it BBQ)

However, maybe it's gotten better or changed since my experience?

FYI, it's in Wildwood, NJ, for anyone that does'nt know...
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1019
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/01 08:10:32 (permalink)
    Last year there were enough stands selling BBQ to make it difficult to chose one.  The ribs I had were very good.  However, I don't think I would drive 110 miles for them.  The year before I had a pulled pork sandwich that was just so-so. 
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/01 11:25:49 (permalink)
    ellen4641

I got pissed a few years or so back when I went to it..
    cause unless one was a judge, one could'nt buy or sample the good stuff...

us pions were delegated to the trailers that were selling mostly 2nd tier food...(and not much of it BBQ)

However, maybe it's gotten better or changed since my experience?

FYI, it's in Wildwood, NJ, for anyone that does'nt know...

Thanks darlin' looks like I have just gotten my definitive will save the tank of gas and head elsewhere next w/e.
    Hang in there Chris and thanks once again---if you do go please give us a report in these pages.

Russ

bigd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/07 13:22:58 (permalink)
    Don't waste your time. Most of the contestents are from the NE which is not exactly known for serious BBQ. They were not friendly and their food is nothing special. This event is also poorly managed. For example, they won't let you taste any of the contestants' food till Sunday afternoon after the judgiing. Basically, the event is a scam for you to buy the overpriced and mediocre products from the vendors who aren't involved in the contest. Stay away!!!
    motoeric
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/12 23:31:53 (permalink)
    bigd

Don't waste your time. Most of the contestents are from the NE which is not exactly known for serious BBQ. They were not friendly and their food is nothing special. This event is also poorly managed. For example, they won't let you taste any of the contestants' food till Sunday afternoon after the judgiing. Basically, the event is a scam for you to buy the overpriced and mediocre products from the vendors who aren't involved in the contest. Stay away!!!

Hmmmmm. If your complaint is that the Q from the vendors isn't up to snuff, that's legit.

If NJ is like NY, the teams CAN'T give away or sell their food to the public unless they have a catering license and have all of the required apparatus with them. Some teams do so on the sly after turn-ins on Sunday, but that is entirely up to them and if given away (as often happens) is done so out of generosity.

Competitive BBQ folk are some of the friendliest that I have ever met, so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

While not everyone's 'Q is up to snuff, the NE has been very well represented at major events such as MiM, the Jack, the Royal and the Huston Livestock and Rodeo. They do quite well against the toughest competition in the nation.

Eric
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2434
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/12 23:37:15 (permalink)
    Like the Stern's say:  Call ahead!!  When attending ANY competition event, it's always good to send out an email or make a call to find out if the competitors' food is available for sale, and if so, when?  Many of these events do not allow the competitors to do so for the reasons motoeric has stated.  I think that may also be the case with Memphis in May if I remember correctly.  So it's not really a scam, but caveat emptor!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:New Jersey Barbeque Championship 2009/07/13 00:01:40 (permalink)
    bigd

Basically, the event is a scam for you to buy the overpriced and mediocre products from the vendors who aren't involved in the contest. Stay away!!!

My sentiments EXACTLY !!!!    As I said in a previous post, I was not a happy camper !!!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1