New Jersey Hamburgers...where?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
rumsongirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/05/31 12:30:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Ken,

Barnacle Bill's in Rumson was my favorite, but like you, my last time there it wasn't as good. Shortly after, I had a burger at Antone's in Cranford that was better. Anotone's is a great place for a burger and beer. Over 40 imports and microbrews on tap.

barnacle bill's has been in rumson forever....i grew up there and i remember riding my bicycle past there and always haveing a lot of care there...and fri and sat nites, there were always people waiting out side in the summer!
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/05 16:17:27 (permalink)
Just to bump up this thread yet again one more time, the practice of charging extra on burgers for routine things like onions and tomatos seems to be gaining momentum.

My wife and I went to a Bar/Restaurant called Poor Herbie's, in Madison. It's one of these places that's been around forever, but this is the first time we'd been. And there on the menu was the dreaded 50 cent surcharge for each item. My wife had the burger with just lettuce (thanks Laura for saving me a dollar), and said it was just OK. My Hot Turkey sandwich was a little better than OK, but not by much. We split an order of thier "World Famous" (perhaps in some alternate universe) Buffalo wings. They were very sloppy and also pretty good but not great.

Nice convivial place though, reminded me of a fern bar from the 70's, which probably fits because I think that's when it opened. ---Ken
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/06 13:27:39 (permalink)
I guess free tomatoes went out with water being served without asking. How many places do that??? What's next: surcharge for ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper???
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/06 16:02:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

I guess free tomatoes went out with water being served without asking. How many places do that??? What's next: surcharge for ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper???

they were never "free". they were built into the cost. now, to keep the perceived price down, especially for those of us who don't want to pay for unripe tomatoes, they are charging extra if you want them. i don't suppose raising prices across the board would be met with much love, either, though.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/06 16:29:36 (permalink)
Has anyone seen a menu where the price was dropped on a burger minus the tomato side from the old price with the included tomato?????
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/06 18:21:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Has anyone seen a menu where the price was dropped on a burger minus the tomato side from the old price with the included tomato?????

that would be awesome, but, unlikely.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/06 19:18:15 (permalink)
That's my point. In many cases charging extra for the side items is an excuse to cut prices...but is it really doing that or just saving the place money...and allowing bigger profits...just a thought!
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/07 09:21:55 (permalink)
cut prices? no, it's likely a way of keeping profit margins reasonable. things have shot up in price in the past year or so. it's not just your gas, but it's everything that a restaurant buys, even those crappy tomatoes.
LEOFONT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/06/07 12:10:13 (permalink)
Antone's in Cranford has closed, an Irish type bar is taking their place as of June, 2008
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/05 23:08:16 (permalink)
Another bump in this thread. I am going to continue until a NJ hamburger is done right.

I was off this week so this time around my wife and I decided to take a quick (=20 minutes) lunch trip up to Bloomfield to the Bloomfield Steak House swayed by a couple of decent reviews on local sites and some good pictures from this very useful NJ website:

http://www.restaurantardore.com/photos.aspx?sid=8&sn=Restaurant%20Passion%20NJ&a=252&rn=Bloomfield%20Steak%20&%20Seafood

Anyway, our first disappointment was that although it was a beautiful day, the outdoor dining patio featured so prominently in the photo was not open. The person who greeted us, waited on us, and had a dismissive answer for everything (and who I think was the owner or manager), said it was because the landscapers were working that day. Ok, maybe. At 12:30 we were the only customers in the dining room.

PS: Since we were going out for lunch at what we figured was a somewhat upscale place, we both dressed what I would call “Business Casual”. The greeter/owner/manager was in cutoffs and sandals, no socks. My radar was kicked up a notch.

We both ordered appetizers, me a bowl of Lobster bisque, which tasted mostly of flour, and my wife had the world’s smallest crabcake, at $8.95.

We both ordered cheeseburgers, with slightly different toppings, and I ordered mine medium rare, my wife, medium. We both noted that Mr. Smart-ass/everybody’s pal/ owner/manager/greeter/waiter did not write anything down, and sure enough our burgers were totally mixed up. My wife had my toppings and I had hers. We spent the next few minutes switching toppings.

OK, the burgers were quite tasty, but jeezus.

Then came the bill. It was s impossible to determine why we were charged $8.95 instead of $7.95 for the burgers, it appeared the crab cake was priced wrong (but he won that one) and I missed the fact that we were overcharged by $1 on the lobster bisque.

The quest for the perfect NJ hamburger continues.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/09 21:49:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

The person who greeted us, waited on us, and had a dismissive answer for everything . At 12:30 we were the only customers in the dining room.
OK, the burgers were quite tasty, but jeezus.

Yup, bad vibes right away.... I hate that.... hate when you get those "dismissive" answers. Certainly does not make someone feel very welcome. I get a good feel for a place within a few minutes of walking in.... how soon I get seated, how soon someone comes over , or at least says "I'll be right with you".

I could see why nobody was in that Bloomfield Steak House..
(and it was during "prime time" lunch hour, too)
Sounds like eating lunch in a lonely prison!
(and you were glad to just get out of there, right?!?)
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/10 08:43:13 (permalink)
<<Sounds like eating lunch in a lonely prison!
(and you were glad to just get out of there, right?!?)>>

Yep. It was such a nice day (last Wednesday) and we were sitting in a gloomy dark dining room (it might be nice at night in Winter with the fireplce going but in the daytime it just looked drab) staring longingly out the window at the unused dining patio. Which really looked as if it had not been open for quite a while, not just that day.

And I agree with you, as a person who goes into a lot of restaurants for the first time, usually I can tell within 10 minutes whether it's going to be a good experience or not. It's just something about the vibe.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/10 16:56:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

Yep. It was such a nice day (last Wednesday) and we were sitting in a gloomy dark dining room

I did'nt know how my "lonely prison" sentence would go over...
I'm glad it struck a nerve, the way I wanted it to. (as you know JUST what I meant)

I, too, love outdoor patios... that's what I love when I was living in L.A..... so many more places with outdoor seating..

Even though you at least got a window to look out of (I don't like feeling boxed in at windowless restaurants) HOWEVER, like you said, the view they gave you was of the empty outdoor patio that you were prohibited from sitting at. (almost makes you feel even worse)

DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/10 22:51:14 (permalink)
My wife and I recently ate at a place called Woody's Roadside Tavern in Farmingdale. I had a burger it was excellent, my wife had a turkey burger she enjoyed hers as well. It's a nice American bar and grill type place, it also offers an extensive salad bar which was extra for burgers/sandwiches, but included with entrees. They have a full menu and nice beer selection although I just had a soda.

Just thought I'd share.

Dave
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/10 23:01:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

My wife and I recently ate at a place called Woody's Roadside Tavern in Farmingdale. I had a burger it was excellent, my wife had a turkey burger she enjoyed hers as well. It's a nice American bar and grill type place, it also offers an extensive salad bar which was extra for burgers/sandwiches, but included with entrees. They have a full menu and nice beer selection although I just had a soda.

Just thought I'd share.

Dave

Sounds intriguing....my sis lives right by there, as she is in the Freehold area. How is it prepared? Charbroiled or just a flattop grill?

And we BOTH love the fact that even though it's a TAVERN, no one's allowed to smoke in there. One real good thing about Jersey nowadays!!

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/12 23:42:53 (permalink)
<<My wife and I recently ate at a place called Woody's Roadside Tavern in Farmingdale>>

Looks like it's worth a shot, thanks for sharing:

http://www.woodysroadside.com/

I can combine that with a stop at Delicious Orchards.

I totally agree with Ellen, the smoking ban is the best thing that has happened to NJ Taverns. If only the owners would agree (some do some don't) ---Ken
Bigapetite
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/13 00:22:45 (permalink)
I guess everyone has their favorite spot. Mine is The Ivy Inn in Hasbrouck Hts.
No, it isn't their specialty but a damn good burger . You simply know it when the juices are dripping off your elbow.
There is nothing worse than a dry overcooked piece of meat.

BTW, Equally good if not better are the sliders they offer during happy hour 3 little tasty 2oz burgers for $5...White Castle they are not
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/13 18:41:41 (permalink)
Woody's are good people!. I sell them wine &liquor(mostly liquor). It is very clean and there is plenty of stuff on the menu for everyone including burgers! Feel free to drink plenty of the liquor!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/13 19:49:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bigapetite

I guess everyone has their favorite spot. Mine is The Ivy Inn in Hasbrouck Hts.
You simply know it when the juices are dripping off your elbow.

I LOVE dripping meat juices!!!
Hey, welcome to Roadfood, Bigapetite!
And I see your profile says "Hackensack"...have you ever been to a Italian grocery/restaurant there called MARTINO'S?
Ken8038 has raved about their weekday homemade Italian buffet, and I'm GAME!!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/13 19:52:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

Woody's are good people!. I sell them wine &liquor(mostly liquor). It is very clean and there is plenty of stuff on the menu for everyone including burgers! Feel free to drink plenty of the liquor!

Yet another good reason for me to have another RUMRUNNER! It will help keep you EMPLOYED!! And I'm all for that!!

A hearty "Welcome to Roadfood" goes out to you, foobuc!
From Ellen in AC area.. (an addicted Roadfood.com gal)
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/26 20:00:08 (permalink)
There is also a White Mana (one n not two) on Tonnele Ave. in Jersey City. It is really good, and very nostalgic!!

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/Pages/W_Pages/White_Mana_Diner.htm
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/26 23:01:27 (permalink)
CC,
Have you ever eaten at the other White Manna in Hackensack? I've eaten at both and think the one in Hackensack is far superior. The meat at the White Mana in Jersey City might have been good, but it was lost in a much too large and stale roll.

Dave
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/07/27 00:29:08 (permalink)
I have not been to the White Manna, in a long time.

I will have to take a ride Hackensack, soon.

Thanks Dave!!

CC
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/16 17:48:58 (permalink)
Texas Weiner II in Greenbrook used to have incredible burgers when I was growing up, but declined in the late 1990's. It is now under new ownership so might be good again. The Dunellen Hotel has some of the better burgers in that area. Cahoots in Middlesex used to have good burgers as well, but I havnt been there in quite some time.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/16 18:00:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sgt-at-arms

Texas Weiner II in Greenbrook used to have incredible burgers when I was growing up, but declined in the late 1990's. It is now under new ownership so might be good again. The Dunellen Hotel has some of the better burgers in that area. Cahoots in Middlesex used to have good burgers as well, but I havnt been there in quite some time.

Cahoots still makes an excellent hamburger Sgt. The Mason Jar in Mahwah has a really good one also I still think that on a good day 5 Guys makes about as juicy and backyard bbq style burger as you can get!!
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/16 18:17:20 (permalink)
There is a 5 Guys here where I am currently banished and we go there often, definately a good burger. I'll hit up Cahoots as soon as I return to NJ, thanks much.
festivalfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/17 09:43:21 (permalink)
My father always talked about the White Manna in Jersey City growing up. I always like to go to the White Rose in Highland park in the wee hours of the morning after a night of carousing and bar hopping .The atmosphere of the ex-con types who worked there on the night shift in the 80's who took their craft very seriously like "Hamburger Nazis".You had to have your order ready to tell them when it was your place in line
or they were not happy campers!They did bang out your orderas fast as you could say it,and they made a great greasy burger with onions and greasy fries in the wax bag!!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/20 03:40:52 (permalink)
There is a bar in Bayonne that served the BEST hamburgers I have ever tasted, in my life. I have not been there in years, but can remember the burgers like it was yesterday.

Churchills Inn (a regular, local bar not an INN)
879 Broadway
Bayonne NJ
daveverdo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/24 20:21:53 (permalink)
Wow, lots of old memories. White Mana on in Jersey City, The Mason Jar, I always loved any diner burger. Shafer's and The Colonial in Hoboken (long gone), Meadowland Diners on 17, Tick Tock.

There was a place on Rt440 in Jersey City back in the 70's that I went to all the time after high school ballgames. We would leave Roosevelt Stadium and go for burger, steak sandwiches, beers (back when drinking was legal for 18 year olds). They used to show 3 Stooges clips.

Anyone remember the name of the place? The was a similar place on RT46 or RT4. I don't remember if it was the same name or not but it had a similar menu and atmosphere.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? 2008/08/25 07:11:17 (permalink)
Grew up in Union City in the 50's...boy do I have great memories of the dearly departed Roosevelt Stadium.....haven't been back in ages..sorry , can't help you with the place on Rt. 46...
....And Welcome To Roadfood!!!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1