Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New Jersey Hamburgers...where?

Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 245
ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 01/30/09 12:50 AM (permalink)
that's extra cool that Frankly Burgers gives one a choice of char broiled or griddled...
that's really "having it your way", huh?!?

After reading your taste test results, I'm not as excited about the place now...
I want that 5 napkin grease burger, as well, Dave!!

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
    RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 01/30/09 12:27 PM (permalink)
    Hey Ellen---Great review on Boom---I live in Belmar and this one got by me completely!  Only two blocks from Plaza----will try it soonest and post review------looking for a great grease dripping,5 napkin char broiled? Try 507 Main in Belmar---good as it gets!

Russ

ellen4641

RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 01/30/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
      russ2304

Hey Ellen---Great review on Boom---I live in Belmar and this one got by me completely!  Only two blocks from Plaza----will try it soonest and post review------looking for a great grease dripping,5 napkin char broiled? Try 507 Main in Belmar---good as it gets!

Russ

Thanks for the hot tip, Russ! I will get to 507 Main , ASAP!!!

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
        RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 01/30/09 11:08 PM (permalink)
        507 Main also has good bar pizza as well

Dave

DPuro329

RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 03/7/09 11:30 PM (permalink)
          I was in Belmar today although it could have been Lake Como, I'm never sure where the border is and I saw a sign in a storefront that coming this spring was "Jersey Burgers: Burgers, Fries, Floats" or something like that. The store is on Main St. Closer to Spring Lake than Avon. I'll have to keep an eye out for the opening and try it.

Dave

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
            Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Wed, 03/18/09 7:48 PM (permalink)
            One of my favorite places, Jake's, is usually where we eat when we're in Delaware. It's a smallish chain that will probably grow - who knows - but they have a place in Oakhurst, NJ. I really don't know where Oakhurst is, but for anyone who's near there, Jake's is worth checking out, I think. http://jakeshamburgers.com/Stores/NJ/Oakhurst00.htm

I'm spoiled by my own burgers - not just blowing my own horn but I know how to cook 'em in all seasons - but there is this place we ate at in Cape May last May called Lucky Bones. It's right across the street from the Lobster House. I swear I have not had a burger like that out in a LONG time. I keep thinking about it and talking about it, and it's almost a year later!

This is what it looked like, with the cheese and the mushrooms. Ohhhh, was it fantastic...

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
              Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Wed, 03/18/09 8:36 PM (permalink)
              Harriet,  We have a Jakes and a 5 guys near us.  Each is about a mile apart.  Both are good, but far from great.  However, the prices are good at both, so that gives them extra points.

Ted Steak

• Total Posts: 60
                Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Wed, 03/18/09 8:41 PM (permalink)
                 Main Street, in Ocean Twp makes a pretty darn good cheeseburger with a homemade cheddar sauce that is to die for!

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                  Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 03/20/09 1:39 PM (permalink)
                  Going to the Sterling Hotel tonight for a port cheddar burger, can't wait!

DPuro329

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 03/21/09 1:15 AM (permalink)
                    Harriet,
                    I've been to that Jake's in Oakhurst which is part of Ocean Twp in Monmouth County. I've been there twice and liked it better than 5 guys which I think is highly overrated.

Dave

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                      Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 04/25/09 6:15 PM (permalink)
                      I'm bumping this thread once again because last Friday (yes, this is a week late) I finally made it down to Boom Burger in Belmar. It was a beautiful day so I did not want to eat in the fairly dark dining area so I ordered my Boom Burger and Fries to go and drove over to the Marina to eat.

The burger was excellent, just a little small, especially when compared to the picture on the website. Still, the order of fries was huge, so the $7.50 price tag was not out of line.

The only problem was the server (or whoever trained him) needs a little education on take out preparation. When I asked if he had included ketchup and napkins it was obvious he hadn't even thought about it. And I forgot to ask for salt and none was included, luckily I always have a few packets hanging around in the glove compartment. And, the fries were packed in one of those foil take out containers with the plastic lid, which resulted in a soggy mess of fries. I could tell they were tasty, but they would have been so much better if they had been packaged properly in a cardboard "fry boat" or something.

One other thing. I was there at about 1PM on a Friday (i.e. prime lunch time) and there was exactly one table occupied. I wonder how they are going to stay in business.

Then I made one other stop, a few miles south at Joe Leone's Deli in Point Pleasant. This was based on the current issue of NJ Magazine which claims they have the best rice balls in New Jersey. Needless to say, I had to get there, and I wasn't dissapointed. What a fabulous place! I spent about $50 on various stuffed breads, rice balls, a terrific Pizza Rustica of 4 cheeses and tomatoes, and some sort of chicken asiago entree.

And, unlike too many Italian Deli's, the help was really pleasant and helpful. I am already planning a return trip to try more stuff!

http://www.joeleones.com/

I made myself a little picnic of this and that, ate it on the boardwalk and then took a long walk. Best Friday in quite a while!

russ2304

RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 04/25/09 7:00 PM (permalink)
                        DPuro329

I was in Belmar today although it could have been Lake Como, I'm never sure where the border is and I saw a sign in a storefront that coming this spring was "Jersey Burgers: Burgers, Fries, Floats" or something like that. The store is on Main St. Closer to Spring Lake than Avon. I'll have to keep an eye out for the opening and try it.

Dave

hey Dave----

Have been driving by it quite a lot and as of today at least still under construction-----------am also anxious to know the particulars------------any of the Jersey Shore Mavens have any skinny-----------Lee the Bard or Ellen?

Russ

johnhughes442

• Total Posts: 20
                          Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 05/1/09 7:46 AM (permalink)
                          Had a tasty burger yesterday at a new place in Bound Brook called 25 Burgers.  On route 28 just off 287.  For you fans of the Amazing HotDog (come back Matt!!), it is at the same intersection.  Place just opened on April 20.  Wide variety of hamburgers and chicken sandwichs.  Also cheesesteaks and texas weiners.

I had the El Paso burger.  100% angus beef with pepperjack cheese, bacon, chipotle mayo, guacamole, lettuce and tomato on an onion roll.  Burgers are chargrilled.

I had the sweet potatoe fries (enough for two).  Also serve fries, rings, salads, soups and a kids menu.  One interesting feature is the burger of the month.  Was a gyro burger for April and will be a stuffed chicken burger for May.  Sandwiches range from $6-8 and fries $1.75 - $2.50.  They have a website (www.25-burgers.com) which shows the full menu.  Nicely run operation looking to go the franchise route.  Just saw on the website that they serve milkshakes as well, missed this on my visit.  

DPuro329

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/2/09 1:59 AM (permalink)
                            John,
                            Was that in the old Joey's Grill? I've driven through that area for work a lot lately and I'll have to stop by.

Dave

DPuro329

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/2/09 2:22 AM (permalink)
                              I stopped by the White Rose System in Highland Park the other day. Burger was ok, I got the single which seemed a bit small for the roll it was on. Nice juicy/grease factor to it also I liked the ketchup, pickles and onions on it.

Dave

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/2/09 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                My wife said she'd be up for a Friday evening mini road trip for dinner, so we drove down to Carteret. (Note to GPS users, although the GPS said it would be a 22 minute drive, the GPS obviouly knows nothing about Friday evening traffic in my part of New Jersey, it took us almost 45 minutes). 

We went to the newly-relocated Burger Express. The old location had to close a few years ago because of the expansion of the NJ Turnpike exit, and re-opened in a new location late last year.

http://burgerexpress.com/

It's a nicely done rennovated building with some railroad pictures and memorabila scattered about (Burger EXPRESS, get it?). It's a fast food type operation but all food is cooked to order. 

We both got the Big Broiler Burger with Cheese, and an order of their famous cheese fries. The burger was a thin patty (I guess 1/4 lb.) and excellent. The toasted poppy seed roll was perfect.

Their famous  cheese fries were exactly how I remembered them. They make a sligtly spicy cheese sauce which is outstanding. The fries themselves aren't top notch, but it's the sauce that counts.  

All in all a very good experience, and a great alternative to chain fast food burgers in the area for about the same price.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
                                  Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/2/09 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                  I had a chance to stop by Frankly Burgers & More again,and tried their burger this time, just ordered the regular burger and topped it with pickles and ketchup, thought the meat was very good and Ralph prepared the burger just the way I asked medium and on the flame grill. The fries are fresh cut and are good as well, hopefully will get a chance to try some of the other burgers on tbe menu, soon. 

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1086
                                    Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/2/09 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                    I finally took Brian to Nifty Fifty's in Clementon on April 18, and I was just not crazy about it as the time that I went in January with my daughter. Brian's burger looked good enough, but it was covered with Swiss cheese and some decent mushrooms. He enjoyed it.

But although I just wasn't THAT hungry, I kind of have a problem with the way my plain ol' cheeseburger was. I think you can plainly see that it was NOT juicy or thick in any way by ANY stretch of the imagination!

So I just don't know about running back there so soon. I will say that in January I had a double cheeseburger with lots of cheese on it, and it just hit the spot. It didn't taste dry then.

I will say that the small order of cheese fries with cheese on the side that we shared were good!

I'm certainly not saying "Don't go there", but I will say not to order just a plain ol' lonely cheeseburger like I did.

PAUL4FOOD

• Total Posts: 19
                                      Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Mon, 05/4/09 2:59 PM (permalink)
                                      P.J. Whelian-(Blue Bell- PA) Great burger
                                      Phil's -(Blue Bell- PA) The best BARBQ around & great burgers
                                      Roosevelt Pub- Philly- Great Pub Burger w/shrooms,L,T,O darn good backyard charbroiled
                                      Longhorn Steakhouse- My client's neighbor owns that joint & they have a Great burger. yum
                                      This can go on forever. I'll stop. These days it's the bad ones we remember.

ellen4641

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Mon, 05/4/09 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                        PAUL4FOOD

P.J. Whelian-(Blue Bell- PA) Great burger
                                        Phil's -(Blue Bell- PA) The best BARBQ around & great burgers
                                        Roosevelt Pub- Philly- Great Pub Burger w/shrooms,L,T,O darn good backyard charbroiled
                                        Longhorn Steakhouse- My client's neighbor owns that joint & they have a Great burger. yum

welcome to Roadfood, newbie, PAUL4FOOD !!  I like your little burger list...
                                        I went to P.J Whelihan's in the Cherry Hill area a few years ago....good buffalo wings, too....
                                        a big hangout place, as well...

I agree with you about the Longhorn Steakhouse burger ...it's very good, and I also enjoy their steaks...
                                        it's a "good chain"....(no oxymoron there!!) I did a Trip Report regarding the porterhouse steak I had at the Longhorn back in Nov...
                                        It quickly got put into the fast food Roadfood thread...  

HARRIET : I agree that your Niftie Fifties burger looks lonely and boring.... I could even make a better one at home... (and I'm definitely not much of a cook)

KEN : glad to read about your good experience at BURGER EXPRESS.... I had read about it previously, and hope to try it sometime...     in high school, I worked at a Burger Express in Millburn/Short Hills area....back in the late 70's.... probably no connection with this place, but who knows?!? 
                                        ..Those fries do look good, though!!

<message edited by ellen4641 on Mon, 05/4/09 4:47 PM>

DPuro329

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/9/09 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                          There's been a little bit mentioned about a new burger place on Main St in Belmar called Jersey Burger or something like that. I drove by it today and there was a now open banner in front of it. I believe the hours are something like 11am until 9 or 9:30pm seven days a week. It's located between 16th and 17th aves on Main St I believe. I'm going to have to take a ride over there very soon. Just thought I'd share.

Dave

ellen4641

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Tue, 05/12/09 10:19 PM (permalink)
                                            thanks Dave..
                                            I'll have to check out Jersey Burgers in Belmar...
                                            I'll make it a doubleheader, and check out 507 Main, cause one of you (maybe YOU)
                                            said they've got a great burger there, too.

For those that have never been to BOOM in Belmar, you can make it a tripleheader!!
                                            (I've been to BOOM....)

Belmar is now a burger haven, huh?!?

DPuro329

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Fri, 05/15/09 11:18 PM (permalink)
                                              I'll give Jersey Burger the benefit of being brand new. They had been open a week when I stopped in last Sunday night. Very simple menu, it's cash only right now and I had limited funds so I opted for a single cheeseburger. I believe it came with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and "burger sauce" whcih was almost non existant/watery russian or 1000 island dressing. I ordered at the counter and went outside to the patio to wait for my to go burger. It seemed to take a while and one of the owners who had been manning the register came out several times, once to see if we were ready to order and a 2nd time to verify my order. I ended up going back in the restaurant and the burger came out shortly thereafter. It was maybe a 1/4 pound patty on a sesame seed roll, with white cheese and it was cooked much more than I like but that seems to be so commonplace  these days. It's an odd place it was formerly an upscale restaurant that was hastily converted to a burger joint, but still really looks like an upscale restaurant. They do have an all Boylans soda fountain which is very cool, although I didn't have enough cash for the soda ($2.00) and the cheeseburger ($4.50) so I just had the burger. All in all I think I'll give them some time to work out issues before I return.

Dave

russ2304

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/16/09 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                                DPuro329

I'll give Jersey Burger the benefit of being brand new. They had been open a week when I stopped in last Sunday night. Very simple menu, it's cash only right now and I had limited funds so I opted for a single cheeseburger. I believe it came with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and "burger sauce" whcih was almost non existant/watery russian or 1000 island dressing. I ordered at the counter and went outside to the patio to wait for my to go burger. It seemed to take a while and one of the owners who had been manning the register came out several times, once to see if we were ready to order and a 2nd time to verify my order. I ended up going back in the restaurant and the burger came out shortly thereafter. It was maybe a 1/4 pound patty on a sesame seed roll, with white cheese and it was cooked much more than I like but that seems to be so commonplace  these days. It's an odd place it was formerly an upscale restaurant that was hastily converted to a burger joint, but still really looks like an upscale restaurant. They do have an all Boylans soda fountain which is very cool, although I didn't have enough cash for the soda ($2.00) and the cheeseburger ($4.50) so I just had the burger. All in all I think I'll give them some time to work out issues before I return.

Dave

Hey D---------------stopped by about 5:30 yesterday to pick up take out menu and check place out-----------parking lot 100% empty--------walked in-----no one behind counter or upfront----------looked around--------------place was kinda unkempt---looked at menu board---shook my head----figured I had to get out fast or be trapped in episode of Twilight Zone-----never looked back.

Russ

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                  Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Sat, 05/16/09 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  that "Jersey Burger" place , Belmar, sounds too strange !

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
                                                    • Location: Central Jersey, NJ
                                                    Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Thu, 08/6/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    'Double Cheeseburger'

• Total Posts : 855
                                                    Reply to message Message Options

RE: New Jersey Hamburgers...where? - Fri, 01/16/09 8:05 PM ( #137 )

<<anyone tried this place in carteret?>>

I was at the old location a couple of times. I had heard that it was closed but I wasn't aware that they had relocated and reopened.

The old location was a true NJ Roadfood location, in an industrial area. There were several free-standing large tacky signs outside, the biggest of which said "Cheese Fries".  In fact my son thought that was the name of the place so that was what we always referred to it by. And the cheese fries were the best I've ever had,  but the burgers were just OK.

Hopefully the cheese fries are still as good at the new place. I need to get there. <message edited by ken8038 on Fri, 01/16/09 8:07 PM>

wife grew up on burger express, she's not happy!!!!! they did build a nice new place, but they lost there edge, lost there old grill. oop's. built on the wrong side of town(on property of a friend of mines grandparents). just not going to do the volume the old place did. and the prices are higher, trying to make up 2 year's of lost business.(did i say that). we'll see, and check back.

•  
                                                      Dog Boss

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Thu, 08/6/09 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                                        were are they now?  long gone but remembered.......................

AVENEL DINER  rt.1 n........... these people made a burger that was all diner, greasy gooie mess of pleasure. the hammer came down, the owner flipped out, killed his wife or his daughters boy friend. PUT THE POOR SLOB THRU THE MEAT GRINDER.  YES, HE DID !! i forget how long after the murder, but yes they found human body dna in the grinder. UP UNTILL THAT TIME it was a great little  place!!!!!!  leveled.................

PREMIUM DINER rt.1n  in avenel, nj (also)  great burgers, close to the avenel, but more famous for there breakfast, building still stands, future unknowen.

PARK AND EAT,(MARKEL) WOODBRIDGE, NJ RT 35S AT AMBOY AVE.  another one of those great little diners that are gone. BURGERS, SOUPS, HOT ROAST BEEF AND TURKEY. AND, YES BREAKFAST WAS GOOD!!!! now a limo and car service sits on the property.

LUNA BELL, RT1 and 9 n iselin, nj (woodbridge). MONSTER burgers, EVERYTHING THERE was BIG!!!!! MILLER PONTIAC AND McGuire CADDY sits there now.

these were place's that rocked with the 70's and 80's bar and club scene. i guess as they say, some things just go hand and hand

living places........... highland park, nj WHITE ROSE. many locatations 5 GUY'S. fords,nj LIBERTY TAVERN.  PIZZA UNO, IS NOT BAD for a burger, i think the burger is better than ther pizza........

oh, i have to mention a little place in woodbridge, place was called  ROCKY'S LUNCH, he sold a hamburger special included french fries, pickle , cole slaw and a small soda all for $2.99 (almost 30 yr's ago). he was a youngster back then and was growing tired, he started a new special, started showing porn with his lunch hour, father went crazy and tossed him, now he's a correction officer..........LOL   those were the day's !!!!!

cameron074

• Total Posts: 135
                                                        • Location: Parsippany, NJ
                                                        Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Wed, 08/19/09 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                                        I remember having a burger at Arthurs Tavern in Morris Plains, NJ a few years ago. I had ordered and eaten their 24 oz steak and was still hungry, so I figured I'd try the burger. I can only remember finishing it off and feeling very good about life in general.

Dog Boss

Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Thu, 08/20/09 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                                          looks like a new player in NEW JERSEY  for burgers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLITZBURGERS GRILL CAFE (2 locations) Renaissance Plaza ( shop rite shoping plaza ) rt. 130 & Renaissance Blvd. NORTH BRUNSWICK.   AND A NEW BRUNSWICK LOCATION ALSO.  108 Easton Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901

www.blitzburgers.com 

WE HAD , Boneless Buffalo Wings,
                                                          Mozzarella Triads .............

Ol New Yorker

Bacon, mushrooms,

swiss cheese...

Texas Cowboy Burger

Bacon, fried onion strings,

cheddar, BBQ drip...                      

Peanut Butter Shake

Chocolate ice cream and           MILKSHAKES

creamy peanut butter...

Chocolate Cherry

Chocolate ice cream with

maraschino cherries...

Was very nice surprise, were heading out for a second round this weekend !!!!!!!

Ted Steak

• Total Posts: 60
                                                            • Joined: 12/17/2000
                                                            • Location: Neptune City, NJ
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hamburgers...where? Thu, 08/20/09 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                                            ellen4641

that "Jersey Burger" place , Belmar, sounds too strange !

I went there once a few months ago at noontime. I was the only customer there (and remained the only one during the time I spent there). I go past that place everyday and I never have seen more than 2-3 cars there, max. Anyway, I ordered a double cheese burger, a small order of fries and a fountain drink. The bill came to 14 dollars!!! The burger & fries in no way whatsover justified the steep price. Needless to say I won't be back...and won't be surprised to see it closed for business one of those days I pass it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456789 > | Showing page 6 of 9, messages 151 to 180 of 245

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com