Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 69
Author
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/04/16 19:09:06 (permalink)
I'm partial to Libby's Lunch. I like the old diner vibe there.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/04/16 19:20:24 (permalink)
In Paterson you have Libby's, Duffy's Grill, (where Johnny & Hanges used to be) and numerous luncheonettes that serve Texas Weiners or "hot dogs all the way". In Clifton there is the Hot Grill, Corral, and Getty Grill. In Totowa there is Pappy's Diner. Falls View has close to 10 locations scattered around North Jersey. Johnny & Hanges is in Fair Lawn. Just drive around anywhere near Paterson and you're bound to find a number of places that have what you're looking for.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/04/17 16:10:36 (permalink)
Hi all,
Anyone hear or know anything about J's Beef on the Seaside boardwalk? I'm guessing it'll be a seasonal operation?

I had 2 dogs today from 2 different places in Red Bank. Had one with "everything" from G&G's Truck. Pretty good dog, although I prefer a belly buster from JJ's or Tony's. The roll was a little stale, possibly because of his outdoor location and the past few days weather? Second dog was from That Hot Dog Place in an alley off Monmouth St. The website is http://www.soupmeister.com. The owner has some local fame because of his soups, but the dogs are good too, dirty water Sabretts and grilled 1/4 pounders (not sure of the brand). I had his version of a chicago dog, no idea how accurate it was, but it was good. I think he used regular relish and not the infamous Chicago relish I've read about, and hot spicy relish in place of sport peppers. There was mustard, a pickle spear, sliced tomatoes and celery salt. The roll was a smallish sub roll, no poppy seads. Again I have no idea how accurate the dog was but it was good.

DPuro329
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/04/27 06:40:48 (permalink)
Tommy's South, 2nd location of Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs and Sausages is closed for good. I was at Tommy's in Elizabeth Sunday and asked about their North Brunswick store. I had heard that it was being remodeled, but that isn't the case. I guess in that part of Jersey they don't really get the Italian Hot Dog.

On another note, the Mexican restaurant located where Frank & Fries was is now closed. Maybe that location is jinxed.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/04/27 14:29:42 (permalink)
yikes! i only made it to tommy's south the one time because i am trying to keep up w/ this diet. too bad it closed.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/10 10:49:11 (permalink)
I stopped at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover the other day. My quest was to find an Italian Dog that I liked. The only one I had tried that I liked was at Mijo's.

What I liked about that dog was that it was relatively dry and the potatoes were crisp. I prefer my potatoes to be crisp especially in things like hash browns and home fries.

I had read some postings on this forum by Jimmy Buff and was inclined to give his recommendations a try. He recommended ordering a "dry sandwich" and the potatoes well done. This seemed to throw the lady at the counter who took my order - she did not seem to quite know what I was talking about, but she took the order anyway.

Jimmy Buff's runs a Tuesday special of a double Italian dog for the price of a single. It was Tuesday so I ordered the double.

From reading Jimmy Buff's posts on this board I was impressed by his dedication to customer service. I had a chance to chat with Jimmy as he made my dogs and found him to be very friendly and customer oriented.

Once I got my dogs I carefully picked the potatoes off and let them cool on the side. I tried one of them and they were nice and crisp - but too hot to eat immediately.

Instead, I started to work on the double dog. Nestled under a nice pile of soft fried onions and peppers were two fried hot dogs. They had just the right snap and spices to compliment the onions and peppers. A light coating of brown mustard inside the soft but firm half moon of bread tied the sandwich together.

As the potatoes cooled off I started to eat them as well. The quest was accomplished - I had found an Italian dog that I liked. Although Italian dogs may never become my first choice (having been born and raised on the south side of Chicago my preferences lie there) I have found somewhere that makes an Italian dog that suits my preferences.

I also discovered that Jimmy Buff's makes an amazing foot long dog. I have read what John Fox says about this dog and completely agree with him. The foot long dog is a great experience.

As John says, it is deep fried and then finished on a grill. This gives the dog a wonderful snap as well as great flavor. Put a little brown mustard on this dog and you have a great balance between the snap of the dog, the spices in the dog, the mustard, and the flavors from the way the dog was cooked.

All of that pales when you put the chili that Jimmy serves with this dog on the dog itself. I have eaten a lot of chili in a lot places over the years. I have never encountered a chili quite like this one.

Over the past year I have sampled several hot dog chilis at different places around New Jersey and elsewhere. The most common type of chili served on dogs is what I refer to as Greek or Cincinnati chili. This is a sweet chili that is heavy on spices like cloves, mace, and cinnamnon. The other kind of chili is a traditional TexMex chili - sometimes including beans.

John Fox describes the chili at Jimmy Buff's East Hanover as "Bolognese" style. For those who do not watch Molto Mario, Bolognese is a style of tomato based meat sauce that is heavy on the meat and served on pasta. I agree with this description as a "Bolognese" style chili rather than pasta sauce.

The little cup of chili that Jimmy serves is just the right amount for you to put some on your foot long dog and eat a little directly. I liked it both ways. It complimented the dog perfectly.

In eating the chili directly I found it had a bit of sweetness and a bit of green pepper flavor and a bit of hot pepper bite. Not a lot of heat - just enough that you knew it was there. Jimmy also appears to chop his own meat that he puts in the chili. The different sizes of the chopped meat also lend an interesting mouth feel to this chili.

The foot long hot dog was a bonus on my quest. I went looking for an Italian hot dog and found a great foot long dog and some wonderful chili. It is a bit of a drive from Flemington up to East Hanover, but I will definitely stop in at Jimmy Buff's the next time I am in the area.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 06:20:18 (permalink)
Akavar,

I'm glad that you liked Jimmy Buffs and enjoyed reading about your visit there. As I've mentioned in the past, this particular Jimmy Buffs location (as well as the West Orange one) is owned by Jim while the others are owned by his uncle. The uncle's locations make them differently and they are not what you would consider dry.

The footlong is my favorite hot dog anywhere. You can also specify if you want it charbroiled without it being put in oil (like Syd's prepared them) or just boiled. As for the chili, it is unique and good. Leo Fontanella, who went on the last tour described the chili to me as bolognese style. Leo knows Italian food.

I'm looking forward to including Jimmy Buffs on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour in September. In fact, they would make a mini tour all by themselves. In addition to their Italian Hot Dogs and footlongs, they also serve a boiled natural casing 8 to a lb which is similar to Jerry's in Elizabeth, and a quarter pound Schickhaus. This is the Max's dog, but at Jimmy Buffs it is griddled and then put on the charcoal grill. It is better than Max's; especially if you top it with that chili.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 07:15:11 (permalink)
John -

That would be great if you are able to include Jimmy Buff's East Hanover on the next tour.

I will have to take your recommendation and try the quarter pound Schickhaus dog with Jimmy Buff's chili. If I remember correctly, Max's chili is a traditional TexMex with beans. It has an interesting taste but is thin and does not cover the dog evenly. And the beans tend to make what I find as an odd mouth feel. These are not meant as criticisms - just a notation of the differences that make Max's chili unique.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 08:59:09 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Great idea to include Jimmy Buffs for our 4th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sept 15th , 2007 . Details on thread in Misc. Foods section .

I'm thinking of stopping by Jimmy Buffs East Hanover on Tuesday for their double special .

Question is I need good directions from the GW Bridge into Jersey .
Any help guys . ?

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 09:41:13 (permalink)
Benzee -

I don't know north Jersey very well so i can't help you from the GW Bridge. I came west on the GS Parkway from Newark on I-280. I got off at exit 4A and took Eisenhower Pkwy (609) south to 10 west. West on 10 for a couple of miles will bring you to the Castle Ridge shopping plaza. Jimmy Buff's is on the far west end of the plaza facing the side road not 10.

Enjoy.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 20:22:34 (permalink)
Benzee: from the GWB 95 south to 80 west to 287 south to 10 east
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/11 20:37:34 (permalink)
Benzee: try to double check the direction on rte 10 before you go...had a senior moment and was thinking of J&R cigars which would definitely be 10 east. I haven't been up that way in awhile. Looking foward to checking this Jimmy Buffs when i do find myself in the area.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 06:14:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

John -

That would be great if you are able to include Jimmy Buff's East Hanover on the next tour.

I will have to take your recommendation and try the quarter pound Schickhaus dog with Jimmy Buff's chili. If I remember correctly, Max's chili is a traditional TexMex with beans. It has an interesting taste but is thin and does not cover the dog evenly. And the beans tend to make what I find as an odd mouth feel. These are not meant as criticisms - just a notation of the differences that make Max's chili unique.

I've never had the chili at Max's. This past year with the Munchmobile, we went to Max's right after the Windmill. No one that tried the chili at Max's liked it. The Windmill's (which I also didn't try) finished 2nd place for chili.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 09:13:50 (permalink)
Benzee -

Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover is definitely on 10 West. If you like cigars definitely check out J&R - it is a few miles west of Jimmy Buff's and on 10 East.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 09:17:36 (permalink)
John -

I get over to the Sea Girt area in the summer and try to check out Max's and Windmill in Long Branch when time allows. I like the chili at Windmill. It is the Greek/Cincinnati style chili. However, I am partial to the kraut dog at Windwill. The times I have tried the onion rings I have liked them also.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 09:42:59 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Thanks guys for the directions . Let me get this straight from Rt. 287 south to 10 west . Correct .!
I will be checking this place out early afternoon on Tuesday and give you a complete report on my return .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 10:13:20 (permalink)
Benzee -

If you come from 287 you have to take 10 east.

The road is divided and the section that runs east is called "10 East". The section that runs west is called "10 West".

From 287 you will take "10 East" several miles until you pass the Castle Ridge shopping center, which will be on you left. After you pass the shopping center you will make a Jersey U Turn to get on "10 West" to double back to the shopping center. Jimmy Buff's is at the far (west) end of the shopping center.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/12 13:49:24 (permalink)
Akavar: thanks for the comeback...I'll be the guy in the green truck southbound on 287 with a belly full of dogs and a cigar in my face.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/13 10:16:26 (permalink)
Akavar ,
Would have hated to be lost in Jersey . Hahahaha
Thanks for those great directions .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/14 12:13:23 (permalink)
I was over towards Phillipsburg on Saturday so I decided to stop at Toby's Cup for a dog. I got there a few minutes before noon and they were doing a lot of business.

I just wanted a nibble so I ordered just one dog. They make a deep fried dog and put it on a regular bun. I had mine with mustard, onions and pickle.

Although there was nothing spectacular about this dog, it was very good. The dog had a nice external texture and a good taste. It was nicely complimented by the yellow mustard and fresh onions.

Also, the price at Toby's Cup is right. The single dog was .90. That's right 90 cents for a dog.

The reason I only had one dog was that I was headed to Charlie's Pool Room in Alpha. I had a couple of mealies for the main part of my lunch. These dogs are unique in their preparation. The sauce was great and I had another nice lunch at Charlie's.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/14 17:36:15 (permalink)
I've been stopping at Toby's for damn near 40 years...the place hasn't changed a bit. Back when my stomach allowed I loved the milkshakes. Now it's just dogs and cheesesteaks for me.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/14 19:15:56 (permalink)
Eggs -

I noticed a lot of people ordering the milkshakes. I will have to try one of those on my next visit.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/14 20:42:44 (permalink)
Toby's Cup is my favorite dog in West Jersey. The Berks dog is good, and like Akavar says, it's not spectacular, but the combination of the dog fried in peanut oil and topped with mustard and a dill pickle slice really hits the spot. Small and inexpensive, I call Toby's the White Castle of hot dogs. And the shakes are very good. They come regular and extra thick. I've had the regular and it is thick enough. One of the better shakes I've had. I'll have to try the cheesesteak next. Don't make the trip on Tuesday, as it's the only day they are closed.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/18 12:02:23 (permalink)
I stopped at a place called Buddy's Grab 'n Go in Flemington for the first time the other day. He opened about a year ago and this procrastinator just got around to trying a couple of dogs. Buddy's is a little store front that is in downtown Flemington directly across from the Post Office. They serve other kinds of sandwiches and make milkshakes. I did not try either yet.

I tried one dog with chili and the other with cooked onions. The chili did not do much for me. I will have to try it again to make sure it was not a bad batch.

I liked the dog with cooked onions very much. This is a dirty water dog covered with a mild version of hot onions. I did not ask what kind of dog was used - I will do so next time.

The dog itself had a nice balance of spices. I thought the cooked onions were excellent. They had just the right amount of spicy heat for me. The few times I have tried hot onions they have been way to spicy for me.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/19 09:15:11 (permalink)
John: be advised that Toby's cheesesteak is served with chopped onion.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/19 15:03:29 (permalink)
Can you get it without? If not, I'll have to pass.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/19 16:18:47 (permalink)
John: indeed you can...just wanted to warn you how it would be served if you didn't specify otherwise.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/19 20:33:28 (permalink)
Akavar,
Where in Flemington is Buddy's? I'm there at least once a week for work. I don't know the area that well other than routes 31/202/12.

Thanks

DPuro329
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/20 10:53:54 (permalink)
DPuro -

Buddy's is on Main Street in downtown Flemington. If you can tell me how you go through Flemington I could give you more exact directions.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/20 13:09:31 (permalink)
Stewart's Drive In, Lebanon, NJ

Over on the NJ Hot Dog Tour board http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10337&whichpage=1 we were discussing starting the Flemington Mini Meet at Stewart's Drive In in Lebanon.

I checked it out the other day and I think it will suit our purposes. I stopped toward the end of the lunch hour and ordered a "Texas style" dog, fries, and a small root beer.

The Texas style dog is served with onions and mustard, covered with their chili. I found the chili to be good and the dog to have nice flavor with a little snap. It appeared to be a dirty water dog.

The fries were warm and crisp. The root beer was good, but not outstanding. The service was prompt and courteous. There appears to be enough parking for us to leave a few cars while we car pool for the Flemingon Mini Meet.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1