Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/20 14:38:57 (permalink)
This Stewart's is about half way between Union and the West Jersey restaurants, making it a good starting point. I've eaten here a few times and the dogs are usually good. Not so when I went last summer with the S.W.A.T. team, but I think it was an aberration. The dogs were dried out that day. They serve a skinless Dietz and Watson beef dog that they prepare on a roller grill. Not my favorite method of cooking a dog, and I would prefer a natural casing dog, but the Dietz and Watson beef dog has a good flavor and the homemade chili is fresh with a good tomatoey flavor.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/20 19:29:25 (permalink)
John -

This location is really only about 15 miles or so from from Toby's Cup and Charlie's Pool Room. The three places can be done in a couple of hours at most. Are you thinking of another Stewart's location?
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/20 20:26:04 (permalink)
Akavar,
I stop at a bunch of liquor stores in flemington at least once a week for work and I have a Hunterdon County atlas so an address for Buddys could work as well.

Thanks,

Dave
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/21 06:04:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

John -

This location is really only about 15 miles or so from from Toby's Cup and Charlie's Pool Room. The three places can be done in a couple of hours at most. Are you thinking of another Stewart's location?

No, that's the one. My mistake. It is much closer to Toby's and Charlie's Pool Room than it is to Union.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/22 16:38:07 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I visited Jimmy Buffs today for the first time in East Hanover and , of course , without my directions on me took 10 West off of Rt. 287 . My fault , but after a quick cell phone call to our very own John Fox , I made the turn around before ending up in PA. Hahahhahhaha.

I had the " Fat Tuesday Special " which is a double Italian for a single .
Excellent taste , not greasy at all , plenty for a growing boy like myself . Hahaha

I also had a foot long under the recomendation of John and was not dissapointed . I thought I was at Syds again except that at Jimmy Buffs the dog is boiled in oil and not water before being put on the grill . Great taste .

I missed Jimmy Buff himself as he had just left for the day . He is there on Tuesdays until about 2 pm for anyone interested in seeing the owner . The service was splendid as the counter ladies listened to my experience and our future tour

This will be a nice addition to the Jersey Hot Dog Tour in sept . Big game room and sitting area with tables and in a nice corner of the expansive Castle Ridge Mall . **** stars for this Hot Dog Emporium .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/22 17:40:11 (permalink)
Benzee -

Glad you liked Jimmy Buff's. I agree that it should be on the tour.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/22 17:55:47 (permalink)
Dilly’s Corner, Center Bridge, PA

I stopped at Dilly’s corner while doing my research to finalize the stops for the upcoming Flemington Mini Meet.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10337&whichpage=1

Although Dilly’s is actually in PA, it is a three minute walk on the bridge across the Delaware River from Stockton, NJ. I am going to consider it as being in NJ.

Dilly’s is a beautiful location, nestled between the hill and the river. I liked their Dilly dog also. The Dilly Dog is the thing to get here, not the forgettable chili dog.

The Dilly Dog is a grilled ¼ pound frank covered with grilled onions, red & green peppers, and potatoes. All this is place in a grilled “torpedo roll”.

I ate the potatoes, onions and peppers off the top of the dog and then put some brown mustard on the dog and ate it in the roll. As I ate the vegetables the red peppers seemed to add a nice sweetness to them. The dog was good, but not great. The grilled torpedo roll adds a nice flavor and mouth feel to the dog. Taken all together though, this is a very nice meal. It is very filling as well.

Here is the review from Holly Eats:

http://www.hollyeats.com/Dillys.htm
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/22 20:58:54 (permalink)
Father & Son in Linden finally reopened yesterday. They are located in the building where J's Beef was on St. Georges Ave. I had a chance to go for a dog today after work. Same Grote & Weigel natural casing all beef dog, 8 to a lb. And the same wonderful spicy chili. Let's consider adding this place to the tour.

I was in contact with Jack of J's Beef. He did not get the building on the Seaside Boardwalk. It went to a bidding war and the price got too high. Currently he is looking in the Woodbridge area, including a location in Colonia. This is good news to those of us that are near this area. He probably won't open until sometime after Sept. depending on how the search for a new location goes. In the meantime, Jack is still doing catering. You can also order his Italian Beef and Barbecue Meats. Call 908-403-0769.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/23 07:05:22 (permalink)
Foobuc -

If you are traveling north along the river from New Hope you cannot miss Dilly's. They are at the foot of the next bridge north of the Rt. 202 bridge. It is about 3 miles north of New Hope. As you get to the intersection at the end of the bridge, Dilly's will be directly across from you.

You might want to check in advance. I think they are closed on Monday's.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/24 20:24:27 (permalink)
Akavar,
I stopped at Buddys Grab and Go today, I agree that the hot onions were very good. I didn't try the chili, I only had time for one dog. I spoke with Roberto (the owner?) he said he uses skinless Sabretts, I'm not sure of the size, and the bun was very soft and fresh. I also had his fresh squeezed lemonade, not on par with boardwalk lemonade but it was nice this hot afternoon.

DPuro
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/24 21:25:55 (permalink)
gotcha DPuro329! i probably know/run into your co workers.
Beer is good!

Thanks for the directions to Dilly's Akavar as i may be near New Hope this weekend otherwise we are going to the Washington Crossing in(where we got married 2 years back) for our anniversary on 6/3 so i may take a detour before we go as an appetizer!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/25 08:03:00 (permalink)
DP -

Thanks for the update on Buddy's. Yes - Roberto is the owner. I will have to try the lemonade.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/25 08:04:18 (permalink)
Foobuc -

Hope you get to Dilly's. It will be a beautiful weekend and the drive along the Delaware shouls be outstanding.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/27 20:07:10 (permalink)
While doing a search, I found this article about Charlies Pool Room. Pictures included, along with one I remember posing for when a neighbor saw the Munchmobile and ran inside to get a camera. This is the first time I've seen it. You guys who will be attending the Mini Meet in June are in for a treat when you visit Charlies.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~mspecian/links/crazylinks/cpr.htm
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 167
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/27 21:33:20 (permalink)
Hey people! I'm a newbie living in Scotch plains , NJ and work throughout Union county.

Where are all the good dogz?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/28 07:02:40 (permalink)
Just read the preceding pages of this thread. You'll find plenty of opinions on where to find a good dog.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/28 09:52:27 (permalink)
John and all ,

You are correct . For the newbies just check this entire thread and you will find enough goo d places to last the entire summer and beyond .

Great article on Charlies Pool Room . I'm so looking forward to visiting that establishment . It looks like a one of a kind .

Remember everyone Sept 15th is the 4th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour .
Email me , John Fox or Coney Island Lou for more info

Benzee
foobuc
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/28 19:47:48 (permalink)
i had a windmill hot dog on the bbq yesterday. it was a sabrett brand pack of dogs we got at kings in garwood that has the windmill logo on it. boy did that sucker get big! also, i had to work today(after all, a lot of people drink over the Memorial day weekend and i need to make sure my accounts are full afterwards) and i was near Max's in Long Branch so i got 2 to go(so i could take calls while eating/parked in the car) but not before i bought a Max's t shirt. i try to buy a shirt at each establishment i go to. lots of hot dog shirts now. hope everyone had a safe and hot doggy weekend!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/29 06:33:07 (permalink)
A Hot Dog Sighting:

Driving along Summit Avenue in Summit, N.J., a town curiously hot dog challenged when you consider that it resides within Union County, among the most frankfurter prolific counties in Hot Dog-rich N.J., I spotted what appeared to be a new restaurant.

Named the Parkside Cafe, presumably for its proximity to a park/playground, there was a Thumann's hot dog advertisement in one window proclaiming the "Dog Days of Summer." It is at 25B Summit Avenue.

It being late on Memorial Day, said new enterprise was understandably closed. But, drawing my own astute conclusion, I believe they serve said advertised wiener within.

Oddly, it is across the street from the Sabrett umbrella-adorned cart that vends franks next to the park at various hours...the only other Hot Dog seller in Summit, that I can think of, since the short-lived Windmill franchise closed its doors.

In other N.J. hot dog news, while we’re speaking of the Thumann’s frank, I finally made it to the Wee Nee Wagon, located on Route #206 south of Chester, N.J., in what I believe is a fraternal order’s parking lot. Readers of this thread might remember that the Wee Nee Wagon eluded the Munchmobile Hot Dog SWAT team’s look-see last summer due to early closing on the day of their visit.

The Wee Nee Wagon, owned and operated by Mark Hanna, is distinguished from most other N.J. roadside hot dog vendors in that they cook their Thumann’s pork/beef, 8-to-a-lb. dogs on a griddle. His hours are M-F, 11 a.m. to 4p.m.

On my recent visit, arriving at about 3:15 p.m., the proprietor informed that, since he had shut off the grill in preparation for closing, he could only deep fry my dog for me…and would that be alright?

“Sure,” I said…”Western Jersey style.” Thus, I assume that folks preferring their tube steaks this way can get it as such, if they wish.

The hot dog, ordered with mustard and sweet relish, was good, and made even better by its placement in a Martin’s potato roll…the same as is served at AmazingHotDog in Verona, N.J. This is a nice stop if you happen to be cruising in N.J.’s famous horse country during the week.

The Bear

jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/29 08:41:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

i had a windmill hot dog on the bbq yesterday. it was a sabrett brand pack of dogs we got at kings in garwood that has the windmill logo on it. boy did that sucker get big! also, i had to work today(after all, a lot of people drink over the Memorial day weekend and i need to make sure my accounts are full afterwards) and i was near Max's in Long Branch so i got 2 to go(so i could take calls while eating/parked in the car) but not before i bought a Max's t shirt. i try to buy a shirt at each establishment i go to. lots of hot dog shirts now. hope everyone had a safe and hot doggy weekend!

I'm a beer salesman in Union County.

So this is where all of the people in our industry congregate?

I didnt know that the Kings in Garwood sold the Windmills. I just went to the Foodtown on Inman Ave. in Colonia yesterday because their sale paper had them listed for $3.99 on sale. Thought i'd try them out since everyone here is talking about them.

Only problem was that they didnt have the Windmills in stock. When i went to the courtesy they said that they dont carry that brand. I went home and sent an email to Foodtown. Hopefuly i'll get a reply
foobuc
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/29 21:14:56 (permalink)
jerzeydawg, i think that the sabrett/windmill hotdog pack may be a king's exclusive. i could be wrong though. anyone want to chime in here?
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/30 08:35:23 (permalink)
Does anyone know where the furthest north Windmill is? I live close to Woodbridge and have never had one and dont want to drive much more than 30 minutes to break my Windmill virginity
foobuc
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/30 21:35:53 (permalink)
jerzetdawg, the kings in garwood has them. i think 8 in a pack for about11-13 bucks. if they are on sale i bet it is a good deal. i have accounts inside foodtowns. i can pick some up and put them in my cooler!
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/31 08:13:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

The A&P in Kenilworth also carries them. Your best bet would be to go to a Sabrett distributor where you would get them much cheaper than what you pay in a supermarket.

I'll be near there this morning. I have to service the Wine Depot at 5 corners. Mayby I'll stop by the A&P considering that i'm not behind time wise and throw them in my cooler.

Thanks for the advice guys.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/31 19:09:36 (permalink)
jerzeydawg,

The Wine Depot is where I go to get my beer. I was there today in fact. I've probably seen you there before. Ever go to The Galloping Hill Inn at 5 Points right across the street? An excellent hot dog. One of the best in Jersey.

As for the dog at White Rose in Roselle, it is a skinless Sabrett that they fry in the french fry oil. Ok, but I always end up getting the burgers.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/05/31 22:16:32 (permalink)
Hey Guys,
I stopped at Charlie's Pool Room yesterday and treated myself to a dog with the onion sauce, and as usual it was wonderful. I also stopped at the Stewarts on route 31 in Washington. The dog was pretty good, but I really just went there to add it to my list. 70 hot dog stands, carts, trucks, and/or trailers in NJ, visited by me and counting. And thats just from memory, I was bored one day and started listing them. (Yeah I know I need to get a life)

DPuro
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/06/01 20:56:43 (permalink)
Ok, I went to the Windmill For a dog and cheese fries. The dog was good. Much better than Texas wieners. The chili however is not spicy. Why cant any of these hot dog places get their chili right? Also, the Cheese fries on the menu at the Windmill read " Cheese fries to die for". I whole heartedly disagree. They throw some fries in a tray and pump that movie theater imitation nacho cheese over the fries. Not even enough to get half of the fries covered. Cheap bastards! If anyone wants REAL cheese fries they'll go to the "Clark White Diamond" at parkway exit 135. One order is enough for 2 people and they even let you know when you order them. They serve it on a big dish with tons of cheese. Enough that every fry is covered.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/06/05 06:12:42 (permalink)
Lomza is one of the Polish beers I enjoy; couldn't remember the name. I'll look for Licher. I like buying a couple of bottles in this size rather than a 6 pack when I'm just looking to have a couple.

Stewart's is ok, nothing special. They deep fry a Thumanns dog, but not the dog made for deep frying. They fry a griller, and in my opinion should leave it in the oil longer. Go down St. Georges Ave. a mile or so heading into Linden. There you will find Father & Son just past the Rahway/Linden border on your left. Right after Stiles St. They serve a natural casing Grote & Weigel all beef dog prepared on a griddle. They are famous for their very spicy chili.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/06/05 08:43:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Lomza is one of the Polish beers I enjoy; couldn't remember the name. I'll look for Licher. I like buying a couple of bottles in this size rather than a 6 pack when I'm just looking to have a couple.

Stewart's is ok, nothing special. They deep fry a Thumanns dog, but not the dog made for deep frying. They fry a griller, and in my opinion should leave it in the oil longer. Go down St. Georges Ave. a mile or so heading into Linden. There you will find Father & Son just past the Rahway/Linden border on your left. Right after Stiles St. They serve a natural casing Grote & Weigel all beef dog prepared on a griddle. They are famous for their very spicy chili.

Yeah, Lomza is a great beer for when you come home from a long hot day at work. They go down real easy.

I'm going to have to change lunch plans tomorrow as i found out that i'm working with a brewery rep. which means that i have to go someplace that takes credit cards.

I made some Best's Hot dogs last night. I fried them in butter until well done then put them in martin's potato rolls (toasted)and topped them with Hormel chili without beans with a few splashes of Ancho hot Sauce down one side of the bun, Sabrett push cart style onions down the other side of the bun, then topped with muenster cheese and frenches yellow mustard. Best hot dogs i've had yet!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/06/05 13:56:22 (permalink)
If your travels take you to Newark or close by, let me suggest that you stop by the Best factory on Avon Ave. and Jeliff St. and purchase some of Best's natural casing dogs. This is the only place you can get them other than Jerry's in Elizabeth and Jimmy Buffs in East Hanover. Nothing like a natural casing Best on the backyard grill.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1