Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 69 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/12 23:27:32 (permalink)
grr... i am away on company paid vacation fri-sunday. sounds like a good one. i hate missing out on the fun.
eatingteam
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/13 22:12:40 (permalink)
Owly, dont' waste time at Lenny's instead head down the raod about another 15 minutes (Street Road 132 same road Lenny's is on)and hit Nifty Fifties for their Texas Tommy's. ONE OF THE BEST DOGS WE HAVE EVER HAD. It is tied for number one on our list with Charlies Pool Room and Jimmy's on the Delaware's Fiesta Dog. Also Great Burger offers a decent ripper as well in Southampton. Again off the same road - Street Road

Tony
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/15 06:53:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Owly

this year will be the 7th year for the HDT (my third year). we normally hit central jersey & PA and north jersey, but this year our Hot Dog Tour is heading into South Jersey and Delaware. anyone know much about any of these?
1. Cravings Stockton, NJ
2. Texas Wieners Philadelphia, PA
3. The Dog House New Castle, DE
4. Deerhead Wilmington, DE
5. John’s Doggie Stand Boothwyn, PA
6. The Last Stand Holmes, PA
7. Lenny’s Hot Dogs Philadelphia, PA
8. Coney Island Joe’s Morrisville, PA
9. River Hot Dog Man Frenchtown, NJ (on river)
10. Charlie’s Pool Room Alpha, NJ (we usually wrap the tour every year at Charlies)

Congratulations! There was an article in the paper about your tour. http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/nj/index.ssf?/base/news-5/118438594825000.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Although it gave some background about you guys, it didn't directly talk about the 10 or so stops. How about some reviews?
Hot Dawg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/15 20:35:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the pointer to the article John.

Nice little read guys. And congrats to all of those who attended the tour. It definitely sounds like fun.

I love the idea of a van load of "guys in the same T-shirt rolling up"...I can just picture the expressions on those behind the counter! ROTFL

--Hot Dawg
The Hot Dog Stand

Owly
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/17 15:43:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

quote:
Originally posted by Owly

this year will be the 7th year for the HDT (my third year). we normally hit central jersey & PA and north jersey, but this year our Hot Dog Tour is heading into South Jersey and Delaware. anyone know much about any of these?
1. Cravings Stockton, NJ
2. Texas Wieners Philadelphia, PA
3. The Dog House New Castle, DE
4. Deerhead Wilmington, DE
5. John’s Doggie Stand Boothwyn, PA
6. The Last Stand Holmes, PA
7. Lenny’s Hot Dogs Philadelphia, PA
8. Coney Island Joe’s Morrisville, PA
9. River Hot Dog Man Frenchtown, NJ (on river)
10. Charlie’s Pool Room Alpha, NJ (we usually wrap the tour every year at Charlies)

Congratulations! There was an article in the paper about your tour. http://www.nj.com/news/expresstimes/nj/index.ssf?/base/news-5/118438594825000.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

Although it gave some background about you guys, it didn't directly talk about the 10 or so stops. How about some reviews?

thanks.
thats me on the right
http://www.pennlive.com/lehighvalley/index.ssf/2007/07/14/

Deerhead in Delaware won. I think Lenny's surprisingly came in 2nd with Texas weiner coming in third. overall- the quality of the south philly/delaware dogs could not compete with the central and north jersey powerhouses...but it was still a great tour. next year possibly a tour of champions.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/18 18:55:31 (permalink)
Owly,

Did you know that some of us who post regularly on these forums run a hot dog tour in September? We rent a bus and hit mostly North Jersey places. You can find out more by reading about it in the Miscellaneous Food Related forum. It's open to anyone. Hopefully you and your friends can join us this year.
Arutha5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/27 12:00:28 (permalink)
I went and tried the Falls View on Route 3 last night. The dogs were Ok, but the chilli left a lot to be desired, doesn't anyone outside Jersey City make it spicy. Does anyone know a really really good chilli dog place in Middlesex count???
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/27 14:49:46 (permalink)
Middlesex Texas Weiner, corner of Route #28 and King George Road, Middlesex, makes a very good Texas Weiner.
The Bear
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/07/31 10:18:47 (permalink)
Happy 75th Birthday to Jimmy Buffs.

http://www.nj.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news-12/1185858059112830.xml&coll=1&thispage=2
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/07 23:53:52 (permalink)
In other news, Middlesex Texas Weiner, Middlesex, N.J., has added a beef alternative to the Grote & Weigel pork/beef dog that proudly supports the fixings adorning its Texas Weiner.

Also now available as either a Texas Weiner or topped with any other traditional condiment, is the Hatfield, natural casing beef frank, previously designated as Angus. Hot dog enthusiasts in NJ may recall that this is the same beef dog that wowed 'em at the shortlived Top Dog in Metuchen. You'll note a distinctive smokiness.

Both the new entry and the mainstay are cooked on a griddle, exhibiting just the right amount of slightly crisp doneness at this venue that continues to exhibit good quality control.
The Bear
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/08 00:09:44 (permalink)
Visiting my grandparents in Middlesex and them taking me to Middlesex Texas Weiner is one of my fondest childhood memories. Back then (15-20 years ago) they made one heck of a good dog. I'm glad to see that hasnt changed, next time I return to NJ I'll have to go back there. Sadly the other hot dog heaven of my youth has gone downhill. Texas Weiner II on RT 22 and Washington Rock Rd in Greenbrook used to be one of the best in the area. I think the passing of their long time cook is what caused such a slide. The weiners there were incredible, but my last few visits (sometime in 2002) were disappointing at best. Hopefully that has or will change. Also, J&G Texas Weiner's on North Ave in Dunellen is quite good. I went there my last return visit to NJ and was pleased. I also stopped by Red Tower in Bridgewater and was glad I did. Virginia just hasnt gotten the hot dog thing right, down here an oscar meyer with canned chili is looked upon as great. Maybe I'm just spoiled food wise being from NJ.
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/09 22:41:11 (permalink)
We have Five Guys here in Virginia I'll have to try it and see for myself. I've been looking for a good dog place ever since I moved here.
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/09 22:59:26 (permalink)
Thanks!
The idea of applying the 5 Guys option to The problem of the dearth of Chicago style dogs here in Delaware hadn't occurred to me
Will pack the celery salt and try it tomorrow
"the Five Guys Option"...Ludlam could have used that title
ocerg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/14 14:36:43 (permalink)
Man what a great thread, Libbys is about 1 mile from me, also pappys in totowa makes a good chilli sauce. Does anyone remember Cousin bens he had a truck parked on Moonachie ave in moonachie during the 60's and early seventies he got nailed for number running spent a few years in jail and reopened his stand in lyndhurst in the late seventies and had it there till 1992 best dirty water dogs with an outstanding red onion sauce.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/17 23:08:23 (permalink)
Hey all,
I mentioned a few pages back about a place in Milford called Vinnie's Dogs which had taken over the space occupied by the Bridge Street Dog Pound. I was in the area today and noticed that now it's called Big Momma's Dog House. It was raining, and I was late and ok I have no excuse for not stopping at a new dog stand. But I'll have to stop soon and I'll let everyone know all about it.

DPuro
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/19 18:37:50 (permalink)
Jimmy Buff's was mentioned in the Chicago Tribune recently.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/magazine/chi-mxa0812magfoodaug12,0,3948571.story
wbjake
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/19 19:28:31 (permalink)
Hi guys.

Second time on this site - still finding it a bit confusing. Googled to find new location of a favorite (Father & Son in Linden) and got great info from the other thread (had to google again to get back there). It is apparently now where J's was on St. George Ave., just off Stiles St. I strongly suggest their chili dogs to all.

They were just off Wood Ave by the City Hall for as long as I can remember (gray beard, nuf said). I had stopped in and found that they were being evicted by the landlord for a bank. They planned to reopen downtown (apparently that fell through) and I waited. Next time in town, no Father & Son, but "Manny's Texas Weiner" in their location!! Can't bring myself to give them my business. Glad that F&S has opened. I believe that the hours are 10-5, not sure of weekend, so take that into account. Considering that they were treated badly, I hope that you all try them and recommend them to others if you find them as good as I do!

I am in CA now, but come to NJ often. Good info in both links. Thanks.
wbj
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/19 19:45:01 (permalink)
wbjake,

I went to Father & Son many times at their original location on Wood Ave. and Blancke St. And I'm sorry that their lease was not renewed. It was truly a unique old time luncheonette. The dogs and chili are the same at the new location, but it doesn't compare to the old one for atmosphere and ambience. I, too, thought that they were treated badly, but have since found out more info. The owner is a bit of a tyrant. He married into the family that owned Father & Son. I've heard about him from employees as well as one of his suppliers. I've met him and he was cordial to me, but he really doesn't care about publicity and did not want to be featured in the newspaper or on television some years back when CN8 did a feature on hot dogs. I've found out that the reason his lease was not renewed was because he was always late paying the rent and that the owners of the building were tired of dealing with him. He doesn't seem to be at the restaurant often. But the dogs and chili are good, which is why Father & Son has been so popular.
wbjake
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/19 21:22:05 (permalink)
John Fox,

Thanks for a different take on things. The info that I got was from one of the long time ladies working the hotdog station. Didn't see any of them when I was at the new place, just kids working the front. Hope that they landed well. The new place is tiny, but the chili dogs are still great.

After reading the above, I feel more like cutting the new owners (off Wood Ave.) some slack. BUT: How is the food? And by food, I mean Chili Dogs! Could go to both, as F&S has limited hours.

By the way, I believe that an earlier post favorably mentioned Charlies (Kenilworth) for their Italian hotdogs. Worked down the street from them one summer between semesters. Ate and waited for the heartburn to begin - didn't and went back for more. Are they still good? This past week a meter installer mentioned that the son took over and deep fries the dogs, along with other changes for the worse. Used to be a slanted griddle with grease down one end and the dogs, peppers and potatoes would be slid into the fat to cook for you. Opinions?
bt539
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/19 23:05:47 (permalink)
went to what i thought was father and sons the other day for the first time only to see it being called "mannys" ok ,i saw the texas weiner sign and had to try it.ordered two dogs up and i thought they were pretty good. however id still like to try father and sons dog. where are the located fom the old place??
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/20 09:11:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wbjake

John Fox,

Thanks for a different take on things. The info that I got was from one of the long time ladies working the hotdog station. Didn't see any of them when I was at the new place, just kids working the front. Hope that they landed well. The new place is tiny, but the chili dogs are still great.

After reading the above, I feel more like cutting the new owners (off Wood Ave.) some slack. BUT: How is the food? And by food, I mean Chili Dogs! Could go to both, as F&S has limited hours.

By the way, I believe that an earlier post favorably mentioned Charlies (Kenilworth) for their Italian hotdogs. Worked down the street from them one summer between semesters. Ate and waited for the heartburn to begin - didn't and went back for more. Are they still good? This past week a meter installer mentioned that the son took over and deep fries the dogs, along with other changes for the worse. Used to be a slanted griddle with grease down one end and the dogs, peppers and potatoes would be slid into the fat to cook for you. Opinions?

wbjake,

Manny's serves a grilled Texas Weiner with thick chili compared to the Passaic County places like Hot Grill and Libby's. It's similar to what many people in other states in the East call a Coney. Good beef and pork dog (Grote & Weigel) and the chili is less spicy than Father & Son. It's definitely worth going to.

Regarding Charlies in Kenilworth, I think there is some confusion. Originally, Charlies was a Jimmy Buff's. And they used the slanted pan like all Jimmy Buff's locations did/do. Then in 1962 the location was sold to a man named Charlie. Charlie sold it to someone else. This man ran the store and then turned it over to his son. But this was in the late 80's or early 90's. I began going to Charlies in the late 90's when the son ran it. Everything was prepared in deep fryers. An excellent sandwich. In fact, at the time it was my favorite Italian Hot Dog. My daughter worked there throughout high school and into college.

About 2 years ago, the owner lost interest in the business. He became a real estate agent and began devoting less time to the restaurant. As a result, quality suffered. There was always a good staff working there. When the young people left to go to school or get other jobs, they were replaced with apathetic young people. Now service was bad as well. I stopped going. I did go with the Munchmobile Team last summer. We had to go twice because they closed before the time posted at the store and on their menus. Charlies did not get good reviews. The bread wasn't good, nor were the potatoes. I found out that unused bread was sometimes frozen.

A couple of weeks ago I learned that Charlies was sold. So after not going for more than a year, I returned. I've gone there twice since the change in ownership. The first time the dog was good; similar to what it was in the past. Last week I went again and it wasn't so good. The bread was stale and tasteless. The potatoes were cut thicker than before (not a big deal) but also lacked the flavor they had when this place served a good product. The dogs and peppers are very good, but the sandwich as a whole was not. At least not on my last visit. As I've said in the past, when the owner stopped caring, the product was inconsistent. It appears to be the same way now, even with new ownership. I'll give it one more try. If you want a consistently good Italian Hot Dog, Tommy's in Elizabeth is fairly close to Charlies. They have actually improved the last 2 years, increasing the size of their dogs and adding more peppers. Jimmy Buff's is excellent as well if you don't mind travelling a little. Out of their 4 locations (Irvington, Scotch Plains, East Windsor, and West Orange) I like East Hanover and West Orange. Joes Pizzeria in UNion also makes a good Italian Hot Dog.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/20 10:58:00 (permalink)
Hello all ,

For an interesting take on things John has included the new Mannys in the old Father and Son location and the new Father and Son in the old J's Beef location on the 4th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat. Sept 15th .
Go to the thread in the Misc. Foods section on the Hot Dog Tour for more info .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/21 19:49:45 (permalink)
I recently came across a very good hot dog in an unusual place. I say unusual because most hot dogs that I consider very good come from a hot dog stand, restaurant, truck, or cart. Then again, there's really no reason why you can't come across a very good (rather than good, average, or fair) hot dog at a movie theatre, snack bar, employee cafeteria, school, etc. After all, this is New Jersey, a state famous for hot dogs. All it takes is a quality hot dog that is consistently prepared well by people who care.

My son, who just finished his sophomore year in high school got a job working at the snack bar in a bowling alley. He told me that they have a pretty good selection of food that is popular with the bowlers. Especially good he said, were the hot dogs and cheeseburgers. I asked him questions about the hot dogs including brand, size, method of preparation, etc. He didn't know, only that they were jumbo, $2.35 and very popular.

One night when I went to pick him up from work, I stopped in and asked his supervisor about the dogs. They are a 4 to a lb Best's all beef dog that is deep fried. I've had one now 3 or 4 times. This is the same size dog that is served at Amazing Hot Dog in Verona and it is prepared the same way. While they don't have the variety of toppings that you can get at Amazing, (I mostly get a good beef dog with mustard only) they are almost a buck cheaper and only a mile from my home. The dogs are well prepared and remain hot even when my son has brought one home for me.

The snack bar is located inside Hy Way Bowl on rt 22 West in Union. If you're bowling there, or just driving by, stop in for a dog. And if you're there Tues, Wed, Thurs night or on Saturday, say hello to the tall, handsome young man behind the counter.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/22 09:54:18 (permalink)
Hi,
Here in Brick, NJ,by the shore,there's a small hot dog place on Drum Point rd
called Boardwalk Hot Dogs. They use the superb giant natural casing Shickhouse brand as most Board walk places use(thus the name for the place). What a superb place!!! I've eaten hot dogs all over the world in my 62 years...and most famous places in Jersey(Max's, windmill,rutshut etc etc etc),,,and I defy anyone to taste this "Dog" and tell me there's one better....It's worth the trip:Boardwalk hot dogs in Brick NJ.
leethebard
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/22 18:55:30 (permalink)
I was to Boardwalk Hot Dogs in Brick last summer only to find it closed. I went as part of the Munchmobile Team. The reporter had called ahead to make sure of their hours before we made the trip. Unfortunately they were not open for some reason. I have had the Schickhaus dog and it is very good if grilled sufficiently. You've been to Max's, so you can make a comparison. I can't comment on Boardwalk Hot Dogs, but if you like the Schickhaus dog served there, let me suggest trying Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover. They serve this dog, but with a different twist. It is grilled (griddled) like Max's, and I assume Boardwalk, then it is finished off on a real charcoal grill. I liked it better than Max's.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/22 19:31:35 (permalink)
Today I was in the mood for some North Jersey Texas Weiners. I went to 3 of my favorites, The Hot Grill, Libby's, and Pappy's Diner in that order.

The Hot Grill was good and consistent as always. Their chili is always tasty and hot as are the dogs.

Libby's dogs (Thumann's for deep frying) were tastier than the Hot Grill. The chili was a little thinner and had a little more tomato flavor than the Hot Grill. I liked the chili a little better at Hot Grill. At Libby's, the Texas Weiners are $1.90 for a regular size (about 8 to a lb) and $2.05 for large, which is about 6 to a lb. I'd go for the larger dog.

Pappy's Diner, which I've mentioned in past posts, has a great chili. Zesty, tangy, and with a spiciness that catches up with you. My favorite chili out of the three. The dogs used are also Thumanns for deep frying, like Libby's. I forgot to mention that Hot Grill switches off between Sabrett beef/pork and Grote & Weigel.

My one complaint about Pappy's is that on prior occasions, there was only one woman (the owner) waiting on people. The service was so slow that it prevented me from coming back. Today, there was another woman working and a help wanted sign outside. I didn't have to wait long at all this time.

All three places make a great North Jersey (deep fried instead of grilled with a thinner chili) Texas Weiner.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/22 19:35:46 (permalink)
I live near Brick, I'll have to check it out.

DPuro329
wbjake
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/23 16:38:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bt539

went to what i thought was father and sons the other day for the first time only to see it being called "mannys" ok ,i saw the texas weiner sign and had to try it.ordered two dogs up and i thought they were pretty good. however id still like to try father and sons dog. where are the located fom the old place??

Father & Sons is on St. George, ca. one block off Stiles (toward Elizabeth) kinda opposite the Magnavox store (if that is still there). Limited hours, great dog.
bt539
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/23 17:04:52 (permalink)
Actual address is 902 W St. Georges ave.for Father and Sons. Park across the street but be careful crossing ,its a busy street.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/24 10:17:59 (permalink)
Hello all ,
4th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be visiting on Sept 15th .
Say hello for us , and tell them to get the chili cooking

Benzee
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 19 of 69 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1