Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 35 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/08/16 20:55:23
Signman,

Would you believe that I bought the package that you mentioned this past Friday?! I was in a store that carries Boar's Head Franks with the natural casings and decided to buy them since I hadn't had them in awhile. I was just reading the hot dog issue of the Rosengarten Report where Boar's Head was rated tied for fisrt with Lobel's Franks for best all beef franks. Schaller & Weber and Lieh and Steigerwald were rated tied for first for beef and pork (he called them "baloney franks") dogs.

Last time I remember having Boar's Head beef (with casings) was some time ago. I remembered that they were good with a tough casing, and a good blend of spices. Not as spicy as a Nathan's or Sabrett. I had one Friday and then again Sunday next to a 5 to a lb Best's (Syd's) dog. Let me say that this dog was every bit as good as or maybe even a little better than the Best dog. Both were heated in water and then finished off on the outside grill. Last time I had a Boar's Head, I think I cooked it on a griddle. The dog is dark red in color, with a tight filling, and fabulous snap. They explode in your mouth when biting into them, releasing juices and a hearty beef flavor. This is a perfect example of what a kosher style/New York/New Jersey/ all beef dog should taste like. The spicing is moderate for this style; not overwhelming. A solid beef frankfurter, as good as there is. In fact, I would put it in my top 3 along with Usinger's and Best. I was even going to post about them, but you beat me to it. I don't know of any hot dog restaurants that serve this dog. Great to cook at home. I know that I'll be buying a lot more of them. This dog has almost national distribution, so they are more than likely available in most areas.
greasewheel
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/08/17 10:31:34
Signman & John Fox, Strange indeed that you bring the Boars Head dogs up. I am not a stranger to the all beef dogs as they are also one of my store bought favorites. This past weekend I noticed the same dog of which you speak but in a beef/pork blend. My daughter has been sick the past few days so I have not yet tried them. Have either of you seen this variety before? One other store bought frank which I like but don't see mentioned often is the Hebrew National all beef frank. I think they are very flavorful and juicy. Any comments on these? I'll post on the beef/pork blend after I have sampled them. On a side note, I work about ten minutes from Rosco's and have a very hard time not frequenting there on a daily basis. Rick is right on with his review.They are never very busy when I'm there but they definitely are one of CT best dogs! Guess the word is out now though.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/08/22 20:11:54
I haven't yet tried the Boar's Head beef and pork frank. It's also avaliable near me and I'll try it soon. Hebrew National is a good solid beef frank. I like Best and Boars Head better. The thing that I don't like about Hebrew National is that they are generally available skinless. I prefer casings on my franks. There are a few places that do sell the Hebrew National hot dogs with casing. It is a collagen casing rather than sheep or pig (which isn't kosher) and is better than the regular skinless version. A few places in New York have the dogs with casing. One place in New Jersey that I know of and where I've gotten them a couple of times is Goldberg's Kosher Meats. Located on rt 516 in Old Bridge.

Do you know that you can get a big dinner size (quarter pound) Hebrew National frank and refillable soda for $1.50 at Costco? I was there today in the early afternoon without having eaten all day. I wolfed down 2 of them. In fact, that's what made me think about your post and prompted my reply. Probably the best hot dog value out there.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/08/26 20:38:08
I was in Sayreville yesterday for a dry run to find a place that may be included in the upcoming program on CN8 featuring N.J. hot dogs. Sayreville has Dees, Bears and a few other places that serve dirty water dogs from a cart. These are basically Sabrett's in a very small size; 10 or 11 to a lb. In the case of Bears, 12 to a lb. Dees used to be one of these carts, but expanded to a small store. Same dirty water dogs, but they have a unique garlic relish which piqued the interest of the person doing the piece. I won't eat this relish as I'm not crazy about a lot of garlic. I don't usually have dirty water dogs myself unless I'm travelling and hungry and happen to come upon one. I prefer dogs bigger and grilled usually.

In my travels, I came across a distributor (A&L, A&G, or something) that advertised Sabrett. I stopped in hoping to find a particular mustard that I have been looking for for over a year. This mustard is used at the Galloping Hill Inn and Rutt's Hut. Called Baker's Gold Dusseldorf Mustard. Rutt's won't divulge the brand (I found out anyway) and the Galloping Hill says they get it somewhere in Clifton. Fortunately I found it in Sayreville. While there, I saw that they carried hot dogs in 5 lb packages. The small Sabretts used by most of these carts, as well as Nathans and Hatfields. Now Hatfield is a company out of Pennsylvania that supplies a lot of hot dog joints there as well as Western Jersey including Jimmy's on the Delaware in Philipsburg. This is a mild beef and pork dog which is used in that area. Milder and less flavorful than what we're used to here in the Northeast. As I've said before, it's a regional thing. But the Hatfield's dog sold at this distributor is an all beef dog that uses choice Angus beef. I asked the man there about it and he told me that he prefers it to Sabrett. I asked if he knew any places that served this dog. There are some in South Jersey, one in Cranbury, Freehold, and Edison. But the closest was on Main st. in Sayreville. They were closed, but I came back today.

It is a small hot dog cart with a Hatfield's umbrella. There is no name on it, but the owner is Tom Nagle. He just calls it Nagle's. A small, natural casing, dark colored all beef dog. It has a very tough casing, similar to Boar's Head. I was told by the distributor that this dog was made by Hatfield's to compete with Sabrett's beef dog. It has the spice of a kosher style all beef dog that is typical of the northeast Jersey, New York, Chicago style. Maybe not as much garlic as Sabrett (which is very garlicky) but enough. But what makes this dog stand out is it's beefy taste. Beefy and slightly smoky. Beef dogs in the N.Y./N.J/Chi style usually don't have an identifiable smokiness like some beef/pork dogs do. This one and Usinger's beef dog does. A unique and very flavorful hot dog. Just a rich, beefy taste. Bravo, Hatfield's.

Tom Nagle is a great guy who has dirty water dogs that are worth seeking out. He switched brands after using Sabrett for over 20 years. Definitely stop by if you're in the area and let him know that his dogs were recomended by a satisfied customer. He deserves the business.

I'd like to see how these dogs taste on the grill.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/08/31 07:48:35
I'm not a real big fan of dirty water dogs since I prefer the dogs grilled or deep fried, but I've been to many carts and wagons. Most of these guys use tiny, thin little pencil shaped hot dogs, 11 and even 12 per lb. A good dirty water dog has to be served hot and have a natural casing. Preferably an all beef dog with a decent spicing. One containing pork (which is fine grilled or deep fried) is bland boiled, but you don't usually see this kind served dirty water style.

My favorite is Jerry's in Elizabeth. He uses a bigger 8 to a lb dog (Best's)which I prefer to the more common Sabrett. Plus he throws the dogs on a steel griddle for a minute or 2 after boiling for extra flavor and crunchiness.

Dees in Roselle Park is a good choice if you like Sabretts. Her dogs are 10 to a lb (rather than the common 11 or 12) and always hot and fresh. Any dogs not sold within 10 minutes or so are thrown out and replaced with fresh ones. I recently went to Tony's in Newark. They are famous for their hot onions (which I don't eat) but the dogs aren't as good as the standard Sabretts served at the other wagons around Newark (JJ's and others) because they use a cheaper, less flavorful beef dog called Golden D. I've been meaning to try this brand and finally came across it at Tony's. It's more common in NYC as the dogs are made in Brooklyn. Chris's in Branch Brook Park serves boiled Sabretts, but they are skinless and lack the snap of the natural casing dogs.

One very good dog that I tried recently in Sayreville comes from a cart on the Main st. Extension. Look for the Hatfield umbrella. There is no name there, but it is called Nagle's after owner Tom Nagle. He uses a high quality Angus beef dog from Hatfields of Pa. This particular dog is fairly new and was introduced about a year ago to compete with Sabrett. Their regular meat dog is fairly bland which reflects the regional taste of western Jersey and Pa. where this dog is sold for the most part. But their beef dog is very good. Just a better, richer beef taste than the Sabrett dogs served at nearby Bears trailor and Mr. Dees, both in Sayreville. Just the right amount of spice for this type of dog without being too spicy/garlicky. The owner, Tom is a real friendly guy also. Worth checking out if you're in the Sayreville area.

I've heard that Hanks Franks in Lodi is considering switching to this particular dog.
Rick51NH
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/03 23:14:14
John-
Like most meats, I find they are more tender if you bring them up to room temperature before cooking. For hot dogs, someone said to simmer them in water with a dash of celery salt for 5-10 minutes and then cook them.

My favorite way to prepare hot dogs is to cook them (and the roll) in butter on a griddle turning them often so they dont burn.

I also cook them on the barbecue on medium high heat (with the grill pre-heated) and turn them every 30 seconds or so to prevent burning.

As far as relish goes, Rutt's wins. In fact, on my next trip to NJ, I'll go back there for more dogs and bring home some more relish which, by the way, tastes better as it ages. Gotta try Syd's as well.

By the way, I cooked the Thumanns' and Schickhaus' both ways and the griddled dogs still get my vote. It's too close to call between the 2 brands. Guess I'll have to make more so I can decide which I like better <g>. Better yet, maybe I'll keep buying both.

Rick
JimS
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/04 14:02:48
I have written Thumann's and its distrutor in Florida is Deli-Best Provisions. As soon as Hurricane Frances leaves us, I'll call to find a Tampa vendor. I am awaiting Albertson's decision on Grote & Weigel; I am determined to get Jersey hot dogs without traveling 1000 miles!

Question: Does anyone know what kind of relish is at Max's. It is red in color and has a kick.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/06 14:04:45
Hope you're doing ok in Florida; was watching television and saw a lot of the damage from Hurricane Frances. My prayers are with you. Don't know about the relish at Max's, chances are it's B&G. I'll check next time. I know Thumann's are available somewhere in Florida. Any word on Grote & Weigle? You can always get these dogs (Thumann's and Grote & Weigel/Schickhaus) via mail order as well as the dogs used at the Windmill. Their site is http://www.windmillfastfoods.com
JimS
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/07 12:31:42
First of all, Hurricane Frances did substantial damage to a lot of people but we, personally, were very lucky after the duo -- Charley and Frances -- came on through. We are all watching Ivan, now making a fuss in the Atlamtic.

I've spoken to the folks at Deli-Best Provisions in Clearwater, Florida. They are the distributor for Thumann's in this area. Thumann's Jersey franks are not available at any retail location near here. A number of transplanted northerners, however, do order from Deli-Best. The franks that are available by special order delivered on Mondays are the beef-pork combo with natural casing. They are available in 5# packages only. Since I have read in these forums that they should NOT be frozen, I await being contracted to, perhaps, split some orders.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/07 20:48:21
Jim,

Glad to hear that you're ok. It wasn't Thumann's, but Schickhaus that don't freeze well. I buy Thumann's and freeze what I don't use all the time. I defrost them as needed and they taste fine.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/09/19 08:29:08
For those of you that like kosher hot dogs, Empire National out of Brooklyn makes an excellent one. Better than Hebrew National, Best's Kosher (out of Chicago), Shofar, and other kosher dogs that I've tried. Kosher dogs, in addition to having a rabbi's blessing, and being prepared according to religious specifications (having to do with curing and other details in the preparation) have a higher salt content than dogs that aren't kosher, but kosher style.

Empire National is a different company than Empire Kosher, which makes the chickens and turkeys (and chicken franks) that you see in a lot of supermarkets. Tabatchnik's in Union serves an Empire National frank. They also make great deli sandwiches. Located in the Millburn Mall a few store down from Syd's. The dog is a big 1/3 pounder that has a nice tough collagen casing. It's rare to see a kosher dog with casing. It's cooked on a griddle and placed on a special bigger sized bun. Big and delicious. You can also buy these dogs to take home. They come in 5 lb packages, but they will sell you as many or as few franks as you wish. Last time there I had one in the store and bought one uncooked to take home.

I contacted the company for information on where these hot dogs are available other than Tabatchniks. They also make these franks in other sizes. I'm still awaiting a reply. I think the company may be closed for the Jewish Holiday. I forgot to tell the people who went on the Hot Dog Tour about Tabatchnik's when we were at Syd's, but Steve "The Hot Dog Terminator" Keiner found it anyway. He got a dog and shared it with some of us. If I remember correctly, it was his favorite dog of the day. It makes for an interesting comparison to Syd's a few doors down. The Empire dog is bigger, saltier, with a more straightforward beef taste. Syd's in contrast, is easier on the salt with a wider range of flavors and spices.
BaconBits
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/10/28 11:16:40
Speaking of Jersey hotdogs - I just did a Roadfood search for one of my favorite roadside hot dog pitstops in NJ and nothing showed up!!

So without reading through the 7 pages of this thread, please excuse if it has already been mentioned - but next time you are all out for dogs at Rutts Hut in Clifton, you should swing around to Route 3 West and stop at the Red Chimney, also in Clifton. Great dogs - not to mention great burgers and anything else you desire from a roadside spot.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/10/28 20:57:31
I had my first taste of a Stahl-Meyer frank today. I too, have seen this brand in a supermarket somewhere, but never tried it. This morning at work, I noticed a package of these franks on the roach coach. I very rarely have hot dogs at 9 in the morning, but had to try this one, as I never had it. Ironic that it is mentioned here. It was vey good. Skinless and cooked in water, but flavorfull, meaty, and with the right amount of spice. Similar to the Hatfield beef; maybe a little spicier. Also similar to Boars Head, but skinless. I'll definitely pick these up next time I see them in a store. And I'll try them at a later time when my taste buds are more awake.

The Red Chimney deep fries a Thumann's dog, but it is their regular beef and pork dog; not the special one for deep frying. The dogs are good, as well as the hamburgers. I haven't tried the chili, but hear that it is good.
harriet1954
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/10/30 16:20:01
Hats off to John Fox for all his recommendations. Just wanted to let you know John that we finally, finally made it to two hot dog places the weekend of October 16 and 17. We did the NJ Lighthouse Challenge for the second year (I told you we had to have a reason to be near any of those places!) and we took the shore route from Highlands to Sea Girt. We stopped at the Windmill where I just ADORED the taste of a plain hot dog with only mustard and ketchup on it. I'm a purist! Bill covers everything with relish, cheese, et al., but the taste still shone through. When he ran across the street to the 7-11, you won't believe this, but Mrs. Max was involved in a fender bender in the parking lot! We found out it was her when we drove the two blocks to Max's and she got out of her car and we had a nice little conversation with her. She said, "I won't even report it! The lady was nice! She was from Brooklyn!" She's a fiesty broad, and ya gotta love her. As it turned out, we were the first customers of the day on the last day of Max's season. Now their hot dogs just blew me away! They had take-out only that last day, and we stood next to my car and ate. I'll never forget it. I can imagine that Long Branch is very very busy during the season, but that Sunday it was all ours.

The day before we had been in North Wildwood and Maui's was already closed for the season, so we couldn't go there, and Hudock's on Route 49 in Quinton was also closed when we passed that...I think it had closed the day before for the season.

Now to think of a reason to hit Clifton and the rest of the places up in North Jersey...
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/10/31 11:29:21
Shaynas Mom,

Glad you enjoyed your dogs! Mrs. Max is a feisty broad; some say moody and worse. Depends on what mood you catch her in. I know some people who go to the Windmill because they don't like Mrs. Max. I don't take her seriously. Sometimes I have some fun trying to irritate her by asking hot dog questions. I can't keep a straight face while anticipating what she might have to say in response to my indepth hot dog questions. "Just eat the damn things!!" she replied once.

By all means, head up to Clifton one day. Union, Kenilworth, and Elizabeth are all closer. And they serve excellent dogs. The 2 places in Union (Galloping Hill Inn and Syd's) received the most votes for favorite hot dog on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.
HughYeman
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/11/12 14:13:09
I just wanted to mention that I finally got a chance to try the cooked brat from Union Pork Store last weekend. I grabbed four of them and had a cookout in South Mountain Reservation with my girlfriend and a friend of ours. I love having cookouts up there because I prefer to cook over wood fires. It seems that no one else in town does, because there's an endless supply of perfect, bone-dry wood within twenty feet of the grill area.

Anyway, I lovingly grilled up the brats until they were browning and splitting and we tried them on various rolls, including Portugese rolls from a bakery in Union. The three of us shared the opinion that the brats kicked major ass. I supplemented mine with a Thumann dog. Mmmmmmm. What a wonderful cookout.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/11/14 11:15:01
Hugh,

I love those cooked brats from the Union Pork Store. Their fresh ones are good also, but they sell more of the cooked. I've tried brats from different places; admittedly not nearly as many as I've tried hot dogs, so my experience is limited. But from what I've sampled, I like Union Pork Store the best for cooked brats, while Usinger's is my favorite fresh brat. I haven't tried brats from Wisconsin other than Usinger's and Johnsonville, or the others from Ohio and elsewhere that are available via mail order.

Which bakery did you get the Portugese rolls from?
garykg6
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/11/15 10:31:43
NEWS FLASH.....John(Fox),I had to make a quick trip to Union last week(funeral) and afterwards,my brother(a hot dog affectionado)and I went to the galloping Hill Inn.........sorely disappointed!! Hot dogs were ordinary and the rolls had no character. All this,of course,is my own opinion(and me brothers). Perhaps they had a bad day,but we then went to the Windmill where everything was just great.......have you been to the GHI lately?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2004/11/16 06:18:43
Gary,

I live right down the street from the Galloping Hill, but I don't eat there all the time as I frequent a lot of places as well as make my own dogs at home. Last time I had a dog from there was 2 or 3 weeks ago and it was the same as it always is. They changed owners in 1987 or 1988. The rolls and dogs were changed too. Maybe you just preferred the old rolls and dogs. The current roll is unique in that it is harder and sturdier (not to mention bigger) than a standard hot dog bun. The dog is from Grote & Weigel, but different than the Grote & Weigel dogs served elsewhere in Jersey.

I prefer this dog to the Windmill's. I've compared them side by side at least twice. and the GHI's dog has more flavor. The Windmill's dog is good, but a little bland for my taste. When we had the Jersey hot dog tour, it was tied between the Galloping Hill Inn and Syd's for favorite dog. As you know, they are different style, Syd's being all beef, while GHI is beef and pork. People loved the dog from Galloping Hill, although opinion on the bun seemed to be split with some saying it was one of the best hot dog rolls, while others thought it was too big and doughy.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/02 18:21:34
I was notified about a new Italian Hot Dog restaurant in Nutley called Frankie D's Dog House. The person who told me about it said that a co-worker went and liked it. It's been awhile since I've been to a new place, and having some time today and craving an Italian Hot Dog, off I went.

Frankie D's is a small place located on Centre Street in Nutley. It opened in Sept. and used to be a pizzeria. Even though it's called a dog house, Frankies serves hot sandwiches, subs, salads, and pizza. I think I saw a sign stating that pizza is only served from Wed. till the end of the week.

Their specialty is hot dogs and they serve 2 kinds. An Italian Hot Dog and a regular dog. The regular dog is a Thumann's for deep frying. Same as the one used at Rutt's, Libby's, Hirams' Goffle Grill, etc. It's available with a variety of toppings including chili. I had mine with just mustard because I was also sampling an Italian Hot Dog.

The Italian Dog was authentic. A lot of places, mostly sub shops, serve it on sub or hoagie rolls rather than pizza bread. Frankie D's used fresh pizza bread from a nearby bakery. Best brand hot dogs, a good amount of peppers, and thicker chunks of potatoes (rather than thin slices) which were tastier than most. Overall a good Italian Hot Dog. In fact, the best I've had in Essex County. It's similar to Dickiee Dees in appearance, but uses bigger dogs. And the potatoes are better.

Charlies in Kenilworth and Tommy's in Elizabeth make the best Italian Hot Dogs, but Frankie D's is very good, and the best I had north of Union.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/04 00:37:23
Hey John,did you try the chili cheese dogs at Tony's.In my opinion the best way to cook Golden D brand hotdogs is to first boil or steam them,then slow cook them on a flat grill or pan for a couple of minutes till the casing is nice and crisp,served with mustard.If you
just boil or steam them the flavor tends to stay with you all day.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/05 21:04:05
I went to Tony's for the first time a few months ago. Right in the immediate area is JJ's and Chris's. All three are hot dog trucks. JJ's and Chris's use Sabrett's. JJ's has natural casing while Chris's is skinless. I sampled all dogs with just mustard. Tony's has a reputation for hot (spicy) onions, while JJ's is known for spicy chili. I've had JJ's chili and it's the spiciest in Jersey. Only the Kuhn's chili served at Connecticut hot dog restaurants is spicier.

Golden D is made in the Bronx, probably at the plant that makes Sabrett, Stahl-Meyer, and other brands. But it is definitely cheaper and not as good as Sabrett. But it's hard to tell if you have your dogs topped with hot onions, which is what Tony's is known for. I'm not positive, but I'm fairly sure that the dogs at Tony's are boiled.

The day I went to Newark, I liked JJ's best, then Chris's, then Tony's.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/09 08:46:50
Yesterday I stopped at Father & Son in Linden on the way home from work for a chili dog. They have a very good chili which is spicy and hot, but not overly so. It's becoming my favorite hot dog chili. The dogs are good, too. The owner is a little weird and somewhat of a tyrant according to people who have worked there. He refuses to let anyone do a story or television piece about the place, even though it would result in a lot of publicity and added business.

Years ago he used Sabrett. Then he switched to Best's. Then he switched to Grote & Weigel all beef. He was the only one in my area that used this frank, and although I think I prefer Best, I was disappointed that he switched back to Best, because I can get that at a variety of places. Yesterday I noticed that he switched back to Grote & Weigel. I happenned to see the label sticking out. I wouldn't have been able to tell by taste, as I have a cold and just wanted to taste that hot chili. But now that frank is available once again and the Grote & Weigel distributor in Newark has resumed carrying it.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/17 23:48:33
Hi John,if you ever get to Tony's in Branch Brook park again try his chili,it has a very nice flavor,I believe it is home made,not like a lot of the hot dog carts/trucks that use a chili sauce.He uses the Golden D brand,cooked or simmered in hot water,but very little water,
almost steaming the hot dogs,if you get a chance to cook this brand on
a flat grill the taste is quite good and brings out a better flavor then compared to the traditional method of cooking them in water.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/01/20 03:09:33
DT917....there is a place that I go to that has slaw dogs in Townsend, MA. Larry's Steamed dogs on Rte 119. Just a little shack but great dogs (chili, bacon/cheese, peppers & onions, & lots of other toppings). They also sell Orange Crush there as well...best thing to have with a dog...next to a beer.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/03/08 07:21:36
Yesterday I went out for a few dogs with a friend and fellow hot dog lover. We went to Syd's and had a grilled dog that was great as usual. Then we took a ride to Newark for a couple of dogs at JJ's. Sad to say that they switched from the natural casing Sabrett's (11 to a lb) to skinless. Very ordinary. I asked the guy when they switched to skinless and he said about 6 or 7 months ago. Must have been right after I went the last time. Our last stop was Dees truck in Roselle Park. She serves the natural casing Sabrett's. These are slightly bigger (10 to a lb) than JJ's, Munce's, Sal's, and other trucks selling Sabrett. Her dogs are also hot all the time and fresh. This is my favorite hot dog truck. Been there for 40 years. Her father ran the truck up until a few years ago when she took it over. If you like dirty water Sabrett's, this is one of the best places to go.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/03/09 21:36:10
The Press of Atlantic City this weekend notes that a "well known Fair Lawn dog emporium,Johnny and Hange's" is opening a store in AC right soon.The story notes that the dogs are deep fried (which the paper finds quite alarming) and will sell for 1.79 or 2.09 w/chili.I cant find anything in this extensive thread mentioning "Johnny and Hange's".The Press article does not mention what brand of dogs will be used.John Fox,can you weigh in with anything about this outfit and their product?Or any other North Jersey hot dog fans.According to the article,the proprietor spent 1.3 Mil to open this store.Thats a pretty big nut to cover.Thanks.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/03/10 07:07:07
I've been to the Fair Lawn Johnny and Hanges about 2 years ago. They are an authentic northern Jersey Texas Weiner joint. Originally located in Paterson, where the Texas Weiner originated, they moved to Fair Lawn some years back. In Jersey there are 2 types of Texas Weiners. The "Hot" or North Jersey style, which is deep fried and topped with a thin chili sauce, and the "Plainfield area" Texas Weiner, which is grilled and has a thicker chili.

Johnny and Hanges is in the North Jersey style. Like most places that deep fry their dogs, Johnny's uses a Thumann's dog made especially for deep frying. This dog is used at Rutt's, Hiram's, and other Texas Weiner places like Libby's and the Goffle Grill. Most of the Plainfield area joints use a Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank.

Since the dogs are the same or similar (the Hot Grill uses a beef/pork dog from Sabrett rather than the Thumann's) at the Northern or hot Texas Weiner joints, it's the chili or "all the way sauce" that sets each place apart from the rest. Each chili has it's own unique taste and people generally go to the place whose chili they like best. Out of the Hot Texas Weiner joints I've been to, I like the chili at the Hot Grill best, followed by Johnny and Hanges, Libby's, then the Goffle Grill.

Johnny and Hanges also offers a larger size, all beef Thumann's, which is spicier and has more flavor than the regular dog. It will be interesting to see how this place will do in A.C. It's different than anything down that way.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/03/20 09:49:37
quote:
Originally posted by JoColl

quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

JoCall,
If you live in Florida, you might want to check around some of the stores. You might just be able to find Schickhaus hot dogs. I know people in Florida, and they are able to get Thumann's and Sabrett; both Jersey franks. I believe there is a chain called Albertson's. Check there. If you can't get them, I would try Thumann's. In my opinion, they make a superior dog. The best way to cook these dogs is on a griddle. I've been to Max's and the Windmill and I agree that Max's are better. More flavor.
It might be like comparing apples and oranges, but Syd's in Union makes a spicy all beef dog that is just about the size of Max's and the Windmill. A great dog, one of my favorites along with Rutt's Hut, which is a deep fried Thumann's dog.

John, I ordered a 5lb. box of Thumann's from Albertson's here in South Florida some months ago. I am sorry to say they taste nothing like my two favorites, Max's (Schickhaus) and Windmill's (Sabbret). They had no taste at all. Also, even though I ordered Large, they were tiny. It is going to take a long time to finish up that 5lb. bag of dogs since we rarely are in the mood for them. So, I am going to try and get Schickhaus from Alberton's as one person on this post stated they will carry them soon. Thanks!

Jo,

The smallest size for the Thumanns beef and pork dog is 6 to a lb. They are smaller than the 1/4 lb Schickhaus and Sabrett sold at Max's and the Windmill, but hardly tiny. Maybe in comparison. I have to disagree with you regarding taste. The Thumann's are very tasty, much more flavorful in comparison to the Schickhaus and Sabrett. And I've compared them side by side more than a few times. Maybe you got a bad batch? I do like the Schickhaus (and Sabrett beef/pork), but compared to Thumann's, they seem almost bland.
vocal
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/03/30 18:47:04
Did a small Clifton dog tour last night. Went to Rutts and the Hot Grill. Rutts is still hands down the greatest in the state. Rippers and that relish are as good as you can get it. And the chili they serve is incredible. Grill was a huge disappointment. I thought the Texas Weiner II on 22 west in Green Brook has a much tastier Texas Weiner than the Hot Grill. All in all Rutts cant be denied. Thank god I dont live too far away from it.
Jayla
Hamburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/08 04:39:37
Has anyone tried Callahan's Hot Dogs ? Callahan's is in Fort Lee, NJ
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/09 00:11:58
Jayla ,

I went to Callahans in Fort Lee for the first time last week . Very Good dog , nice atmosphere . A condiments bar where you can put your own relish , Kraut and such on the dog.

Only one complaint . The roll was stale , crumpled in my hand in two . I got there 11: 05 am and as it opens at 11 , I figured I got the last of the day old stuff.

I would have given it 3 1/2 DOGS out of 4 , but the roll bought it down to 3 .

That will not deter me from visiting again . Also Hirams is next store and may try a double dog stop next time .

PS- Still love Rutts and its relish as my favorite 4 DOGS out of 4.

Benzee
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/09 00:14:55
Hello all ,

I would like some directions to the Hot Grill if possible.

Preferably from the GW Bridge , but if you can get me there easily from Rutts , I will try the double dog stop next week .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/10 16:12:11
Callahan's uses the same dog as the Hot Grill, only in a bigger size. It is a mild tasting Sabrett beef and pork blend. Ok, but I prefer Hirams across the street. They use the Thumann's dog for deep frying. I love this dog when I'm in the mood for one deep fried, but most of the time I'd rather have a grilled dog. At the Hot Grill, the frank is more of a holder for the chili sauce. Ask for a hot dog, and you'll get one with mustard, chili, and onions. I like their chili.

Texas Weiner ll is a more flavorful Grote & Weigel griddle frank. For a grilled beef and pork dog, my favorite is the Galloping Hill Inn in Union. They also use a Grote & Weigel griddle frank, but it is a different recipe than what the other places use. It is a recipe that was originally made at a butcher shop in Union for the GHI. When the new owners took over in 87, they took the recipe and had it produced at Grote & Weigel, fearing that the butcher shop would either go out of business some day, be sold, or have trouble keeping up with demand. The place was eventually sold, and the franks made there are different. But still pretty good.

I'd like to see a hot dog place open up that serves the Thumann's grillers and cooks them on a griddle. This dog is my favorite beef/pork blend, even better, in my opinion, than the dog at the GHI. Most of the places that use Thumann's in North Jersey use the deep fryers. Rosco's in Hartford, Conn. is one place that serves the grillers (a 6 to a lb as well as a quarter pounder) and cooks them right.

Earlier today, I checked out the Falls View's new location. It used to be the Red Chimney on rt 3 in Clifton. First I went to Rutt's for a ripper. Ok, but not really cooked enough for a ripper. I should have asked for a weller. These have more flavor. At Falls View, I had one Texas Weiner without onions, and a regular dog with just mustard. They use a Thumann's griller, but deep fry it. This dog has slightly more beef than the deep fry dog, but doesn't puff up and rip. They have a grill (not griddle) that they use for the burgers, and will grill your hot dog if you request it. I did for the plain dog w/mustard. I liked it better than the deep fried Texas Weiner, but would have liked this particular dog better if it was cooked on a griddle. Some all beef dogs like Best's, Usinger's, and Boars Head taste better on the grill used for burgers, but for a beef and pork dog, I prefer it griddled. The chili sauce was good; a little tangy, but I still prefer the Hot Grill for thin chili sauce. Texas Weiner ll and Frank & Fries in Rahway serve a thicker chili.

All in all, I'd say that Fall's View is pretty good. They sell their chili and dogs to go. The dogs are packaged with a Falls View label, but it also says that they are made by Thumanns.
vocal
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/10 21:35:40
Hey John Fox, I thought Frank and Fries in Rahway closed last year. I wrote an article about it for Weird NJ magazine and took some shots of the outside. Last I heard they closed up and had a for sale sign out front. Then I noticed that the Holly Eats website put it back on his Jersey Dog page. So what is the story? Is it open for business again? Let me know. They had a great dog. Not as great as Ruts's but pretty good. And you cant beat the decor. Its like Halloween all year round there.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/11 10:28:12
Frank & Fries was never closed. They did take a few weeks off to go on vacation. And yes, the building is for sale. I know the owners and they are planning to move to Florida. They are looking to sell the building and their business. But until this happens, they will continue to be open. They are the only hot dog joint that I know of that serves Kohler franks. It is a beef/pork mixture that has more flavor than your typical beef/pork frank. It has a slightly tangy taste that reminds me of Connecticut dogs like Hummels and Roesslers. The dogs are cooked on a griddle and finished off on a charcoal grill. Excellent hot dogs and a good, thick chili whose recipe has been around for close to 80 years.

There are a lot of hot dogs I like, and I go to a place depending on my mood. I love Rutt's, but lately my tastes are favoring spicier grilled dogs. Frank & Fries is one of the best and most unique dogs around. Steve the owner told me that if/when he sells the place, he will try to get the new owner to use the same dogs and chili. The hamburgers, fries, and everything else is very good here also.
fdoosey
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/12 18:41:53
Well, I finally stopped at Bear's in Sayreville. I have no idea who Unlimited magazine is, but they voted his dogs the best boiled in America.

I can't speak for the whole nation, but they were incredibly good, and his chili sauce had the perfect zing, especially with cheese. Bear's a really nice guy, too, we talked about our kids for a while while I fed bits of a dog to my 9-month-old son, who apparently will fight me for them now.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/12 19:58:35
Unlimited Magazine is, I think, either a travel magazine or one geared to truckers. I've been to Bears and seen the article. Truthfully, I don't think the writer has been to too many places for hot dogs. Not to say that Bears isn't good; they are. But they use the same Sabrett natural casing pushcart dogs that are used by dozens of carts, trucks, storefronts, and other hot dog restaurants in New York and New Jersey. Within a mile is Dee's, which used to be a cart, but now has a small restaurant. Same identical dogs. Of course, there are a lot of carts that use the skinless Sabrett's, which are inferior in my opinion to the natural casing. One very popular place, JJ's in Newark, recently switched from natural casing to skinless in order to save money. Real hot dog lovers noticed; the many late night college kids who go there drunk at 3 am probably didn't.

Bear's are good, as I said, but if I'm going to get this type of dog, I prefer it a little bigger than 12 to a lb. If you like puschcart Sabrett's, let me suggest Dee's (not related to Dees in Sayreville) in Roselle Park. 10 to a lb, and always hot and fresh.

Next time you're in the Sayreville area, try Tom Nagle's cart on Main St. He switched from Sabrett to Hatfield's Angus Beef franks. These have a rich smoky flavor. Many people prefer them to Sabrett. For me, it depends on what mood I'm in, but lately I've been eating a lot of Hatfield's. Only available at certain hot dog carts and Restaurant Depots. I've bought a 5lb bag and gave some out at work. My co workers liked them so much that they had me go back and buy them 5 lb bags. This hot dog is the favorite of my wife and son. Just remembered, there is also a distributor on Bordentown Rd. that carries this brand. That's where Tom Nagle gets his.
fdoosey
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/13 13:42:52
quote:

the distributor told me that Tom Nagle sold them, so I figured it was safe to risk trying one. I liked it very much and wound up buying a 5 lb bag. By all means, go to his cart to sample one of these franks and report back.

Well, I stopped by and said hi to Tom, had 2 of those angus dogs - they ARE mighty tasty! Tom lamented to me about how Sabrett has basically gone to relying on their name and that their customer service has been very poor, he said he was getting shafted for 5-10 franks per box ordered, and when he called to mention the oversight, was basically told, "What are you going to do, switch brands?", which he did.

Also, he claims that he has to get the Hatfields from Allentown, PA. Probably trying to hide the fact they can be obtained from a distributor. I'll find the place on Bordentown and see what the going rate is.

I dropped your name, Mr. Fox, he didn't remember you, sorry.

PS - His chili sauce is interesting, I tasted cinnamon in it (Cincy style), all he'd say was there were 9 secret ingredients in it.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/22 19:38:52
Nagle's Cart in Sayreville is a new one on me. I'm sure I can find an excuse to drop down there some day soon. I've also been anxious to try the Hatfield's Angus dogs (I agree their regular dogs are nothing special).

Any idea if Nagle's is open on Saturday? It's not like I can just call up and find out. I've found it's hit or miss about Saturdays with the NJ Dog carts. Some seem to be around, some not.

Thanks.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/23 19:49:56
Well, I had a few hours to kill today, and rather than risk a drive down to Sayreville and possibly find that Nagles cart is not there on Saturday, I decided to head north instead. I drove up to Hillsdale to check out the Karl Ehmer Hot Dog Cart.

Ehmer's was my favorite brat years ago when I lived in Brooklyn. Most of them are out of business now, the Ehmer's on Broadway in Hillsdale is one of the few left. They set up a cart on Saturdays in front of the store and sell grilled Dogs, brats, and several other sausages. Quite the place to be in Hillsdale on a Saturday, judging from the line. The brat was good, but not quite the nirvana I remembered (then again, what is, these days). I also had one of their beef and pork dogs, and that hit the jackpot! Maybe the best I've had in NJ. Up there with Thuman's (my favorite), quite possibly even better. ---Ken

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/24 08:04:01
quote:
Originally posted by David_NYC

For a brief period about 8 months ago, the D'Agostino's supermarket chain was selling the Hatfield Black Angus frankfurters. They were fairly expensive; more money than Nathan's and Sabrett's. However, they were excellent.

My guess is the franks did not sell because they were so expensive, and because there was no promotion. D'Agostino has been selling both fresh and processed meats from Hatfield for at least 20 years.

Last time I went to Restaurant Depot here in Jersey, Hatfield Angus Beef Franks were $13.99 for a 5 lb bag, while Sabrett was $16.99. About a week ago, I was unable to reach my friend to borrow his Restaurant Depot card, so I went to the distributor that I mentioned earlier. I got the same franks for 15.99. I kept the receipt, and the name of this place is A & L Food Service. Located at 3143 Bordentown Ave, Building 5A in Parlin, not Sayreville. They will sell to the general public without requiring a membership card. They also carry Sabrett natural casing dogs, as well as different mustards, including Baker's Touch, which is the mustard used at the Galloping Hill Inn and Rutt's Hut.

Ken8038,

I don't know if Nagle's is open on Saturday. Most of the carts that I know of are not. I've been meaning to go to Karl Ehmer's for some time, but have not made it as of yet. Do you know if they are open on Sunday's? I work on Saturday's, so it would be difficult to get up there. I've had their brats and other sausages. A beer festival that I go to in Adamstown, Pa. serves these products. Every type of sausage except frankfurters. They are good, but I like the bratwurst at the Union Pork Store better. Can't wait to try their franks; I've heard from other people that they are very good. The best German butcher style frank I've had was from Liehs and Steigerwald of Syracuse, N.Y. They are only available at their location or by mail order, which is how I obtained them. Big, about 4 or 5 to a lb, tender, and very juicy. Tied for first place with Schaller & Weber for best beef/pork frank in the Rosengarten Report, although Thumann's wasn't included and the dogs were all boiled. This isn't a good way of preparing this type of dog. Another magazine named L&H as one of the best 5 dogs in the country.

Butcher shops that make their own franks are almost always high quality. You can't beat them for freshness. I'm lucky to have near me Gaiser's, Lutz's, Fritz's, and the Union Pork Store, all in my hometown. I'll make it to Karl Ehmer's soon.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/24 17:55:02
To John: Ehmer's in Hillsdale is open 6 days a week, closed Sundays. The Cart is only there on Saturdays.

Thanks for the info on the distributor in Parlin, I will try to get there if I have a day off during the week so I can combine it with a trip to Nagle's cart. My problem is the opposite of yours, I work Monday to Friday in NY so I can't get to a lot of the local carts. I take an occasional weekday off, and if I have some free time I will try some new places. The only local (Union/Somerset Cty) cart I know that is open on Satudays is on South Avenue in Scotch Plains (or maybe it's Fanwood)heading east towards Westfield. And his Chili dogs are just OK. The guy on Terrill Road up towards Rt 22 is much better, but he's not there on Saturdays.

Another local place I know of that has not been mentioned here is Rena's Diner on South avenue in Plainfield. It's a small diner in a small shopping center. Pretty good Chili Dogs, which is apparently their specialty (there a sign in the window advertising them). Sorry, but I don't know what brand they serve. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/04/27 19:44:30
quote:
Originally posted by fdoosey

I can't vouch of Nagle's is open Saturdays, I don't think to look when I go by. Will try to check next time.

I contacted Hatfield, and the angus franks are not sold retail anymore. The closest distributor they knew was in Elizabeth. So if anyone knows a place closer to Sayreville than that where I can get em, post it.

Try A&L Food Service on Bordentown Rd. in Parlin. I mentioned it in an earlier post. They have 5 lb bags of Hatfield Angus Franks.
rob23
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/11 10:22:13
Great to find this site! You guys in NJ are so lucky when it comes to good food. Not only hot dogs but just about everything else also. But since were on the subject of hot dogs... I left the Union area at around age 11 with my dad for California in 1984. I have only been back a couple times since. Both times we stopped and ate at our two favorite Dog places. Maxs in Longbranch and 5points Galloping hills in Union. Both different but in my opinion the best Hot Dogs in the world.

I had some great memories with my dad who passed away last year at 56. He might have jokingly of told you his heart disease was due to one too many galloping Hills dogs being a kid who grew up in Union. (Nothing was ever due to the 2 packs of cigarettes he smoked daily) Looking back however some of the greatest times we had were at the longbranch boardwalk eating at Maxs. I have since heard that it actually burned down but I will always remember the great times and hot dogs we had there! Good food Good Memories.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/12 22:42:28
rob23,

After the fire at Max's, they moved a block from the shore to Matilda and Ocean. I live in Union and have eaten at the Galloping Hill probably more than any other hot dog place. I live on Salem Rd. which is within walking distance. I've also been to Max's many times. Both very good, but I prefer the Galloping Hill Inn's hot dogs. Did you know that they both are produced by the same company? Grote & Weigle of Bloomfield, Connecticut. The Schickhaus dog used at Max's is the standard Grote & Weigle recipe in a quarter lb size. This dog is made for the Jersey market.

The Galloping Hill Inn dog was made by Gaiser's of Union until 1987. The new owners wanted this dog produced by a company that was capable of turning out a larger volume quicker. And they were afraid that Gaiser's would either be sold (which they eventually were) or go out of business. So they took the recipe to Grote & Weigle where it is now made. The 2 dogs are slightly different in taste (due to the different recipes) and have different casings. Schickhaus is a sheep casing, while the Galloping Hill dog is a collagen casing.

Since you lived in Union, have you ever tried Syd's? They serve a spicer all beef dog. Originally located in the Weequaic section of Newark, Syd's moved to the Millburn Mall on Vauxhall Rd. in Union in 1967.

rob23
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/13 13:43:41
Hey John, great info! I wasn't aware of any of the info you had. Very intersting. I actually have never been to Syd's I am not sure why. My father actually went to Weequaic High School and I have heard about Syd's but never realized the connection to the one in Union. I am planning to take my wife back east next year. She has never been. I plan on spending alot of time eating and will have to give Syd's a try. Speaking of union. I can't remember exactly where it was located but there was a little coffe shop I believe not too far from a A&P that had great taylor ham and egg sandwiches. I don't even know how to spell it but my grandmother lived in an apartment building withing walking distance sounds like Styvasin village? Remember these are memories from when I was 12 years old so it is kind of foggy as I am 30 now. Also there was a bakery/Deli in Plainfield that had the Best sausage rolls. Rolls that had the sausage mixed in the yeast. Don't won't to talk too much about non hotdog though and ruin the thread.
quote:

rob23,

After the fire at Max's, they moved a block from the shore to Matilda and Ocean. I live in Union and have eaten at the Galloping Hill probably more than any other hot dog place. I live on Salem Rd. which is within walking distance. I've also been to Max's many times. Both very good, but I prefer the Galloping Hill Inn's hot dogs. Did you know that they both are produced by the same company? Grote & Weigle of Bloomfield, Connecticut. The Schickhaus dog used at Max's is the standard Grote & Weigle recipe in a quarter lb size. This dog is made for the Jersey market.

The Galloping Hill Inn dog was made by Gaiser's of Union until 1987. The new owners wanted this dog produced by a company that was capable of turning out a larger volume quicker. And they were afraid that Gaiser's would either be sold (which they eventually were) or go out of business. So they took the recipe to Grote & Weigle where it is now made. The 2 dogs are slightly different in taste (due to the different recipes) and have different casings. Schickhaus is a sheep casing, while the Galloping Hill dog is a collagen casing.

Since you lived in Union, have you ever tried Syd's? They serve a spicer all beef dog. Originally located in the Weequaic section of Newark, Syd's moved to the Millburn Mall on Vauxhall Rd. in Union in 1967.

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/14 10:20:26
I took a V day yesterday to get some chores done, after which I decided to zip down to Nagles Cart in Sayreville for lunch. Here's the problem, now I'm not sure if it was actually Nagles Cart. I drove the length of Main street (c 5 miles) and spotted only one hot dog operation. I figured that was it, but when I got home I re-read this thread and realized I may have not been at Nagles after all. The place I ate at was a truck, not a cart. If I had remembered I was supposed to be looking for a cart, I would have asked the guy if he was Mr. Nagle.

Anyway, another reason why I think I was at the wrong place was that the chili dogs were just OK, nothing special. In fact, I was so dissapointed I decided to head down to Port Monmouth to Jersey Joe''s Italian Hot Dogs, which had been written up a while back in the Star Ledger. Much better. One of the best Italian Dogs I've had, up there with Charlies (I don't like Dickie Dees, and I think Jimmy Buffs is just awful). There's a nice waterfront park just across the street for eating take out. I went home happy. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/22 18:52:26
Earlier today I found myself in the Menlo Park Mall in Edison wandering around while my wife was trying on clothes. Not one of my favorite things to do. I ended up in the food court where there are so many good choices. I wasn't really planning on hot dogs, but I saw that Nathan's was advertising 3 hot dogs for $3.33. I hadn't had a Nathan's in awhile, so I got the special with fries.

In the past, Nathan's has been hit or miss for me. Not all are the same. Some use the skinless version and cook them on those roller things that you see at a movie theatre. The 2 that used to be in my town used the natural casing and cooked them on a griddle like they do in Coney Island, but they were always undercooked. Before today I only found one Nathan's in Jersey that prepared them right. It was one of the Nathan's off the Turnpike going south to Pennsylvania.

The dogs I had today were the natural casing dogs cooked on a griddle. They were cooked perfectly. Delicious. Right up there with the best all beef dogs I've ever tasted. And a great value at $3.33 for 3. These were 8 to a lb dogs. Even though it says 3 for $3.33 with purchase of fries, I was told that you didn't have to buy fries. This special is available Fri, Sat, Sun, and Monday only. Definitely worth trying if you are forced to be at the mall.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/22 20:58:43
quote:

Earlier today I found myself in the Menlo Park Mall in Edison wandering around while my wife was trying on clothes. Not one of my favorite things to do. I ended up in the food court where there are so many good choices. I wasn't really planning on hot dogs, but I saw that Nathan's was advertising 3 hot dogs for $3.33. I hadn't had a Nathan's in awhile, so I got the special with fries.

In the past, Nathan's has been hit or miss for me. Not all are the same. Some use the skinless version and cook them on those roller things that you see at a movie theatre. The 2 that used to be in my town used the natural casing and cooked them on a griddle like they do in Coney Island, but they were always undercooked. Before today I only found one Nathan's in Jersey that prepared them right. It was one of the Nathan's off the Turnpike going south to Pennsylvania.

The dogs I had today were the natural casing dogs cooked on a griddle. They were cooked perfectly. Delicious. Right up there with the best all beef dogs I've ever tasted. And a great value at $3.33 for 3. These were 8 to a lb dogs. Even though it says 3 for $3.33 with purchase of fries, I was told that you didn't have to buy fries. This special is available Fri, Sat, Sun, and Monday only. Definitely worth trying if you are forced to be at the mall.

The Nathan's at the Galleria/Crystal Run here in Middletown is good also...I think Nathan's has been doing better with their franchisees/quality control-the one up here is definitely a family run concern...

and hey John...does that Nathan's have an Arthur Treachers co-branded??
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/22 22:23:07
Yes, there is an Arthur Treachers, although I didn't notice it until I was leaving. The 3 for $3.33 also applies to fish sandwiches, but I didn't check out the details. I saw Arthur Treachers mentioned somewhere, but I didn't give it much thought. I'm glad to see that Nathan's is doing well at the mall. The location in Rahway is just horrible. Skinless dogs on the roller grill. And old dogs at that. This Nathan's was coupled with a Blimpies Sub Shop. I went once. Never again. And it's a shame too, because people go to this place and think that it represents Nathans. The difference between the Rahway location and the Menlo Park one is like night and day.
alexfeild
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/29 17:47:43
quote:

alexfeild,

Can you tell us a little about the dogs at johnny o's? What brand, natural casing or skinless, how are they prepared? Thanks.

The dogs at JOHNNY'O s on RT 31 in oxford are thumanns, natural casing, deep fied,TOPPING are ,chili,kraut,italian,or for a real treat johnny O's home made hot onions.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/29 20:26:10
Thanks. Are they open Sunday's?
alexfeild
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/05/30 12:37:06
quote:

Thanks. Are they open Sunday's?

Yes they are open tue- sun,I was there on wensday an they had a sign saying they will be closed this sunday for the holiday. I think I know why johnny and his wife kay do it all and needed a rest they are great people.
ramdon
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/06/03 23:56:54
Hot dog, a new restaurant

Don Pagano says his new Tiki Grill in Hobe Sound is already famous for its hot dogs — three East Coast varieties that are well-known up north: Sabrett's, footlong Hebrew Nationals and the 1/4 -pound Schickhaus dog "imported" from the Jersey shore.

"We have other specialties, too, like a rib-eye Philly cheesesteak, conch fritters and crunchy grouper," Pagano said, but the dogs are the draw.

The laid-back tiki huts serve as dining rooms and bandstands for the performers who croon Buffett, or pound out a reggae beat on the steel drums.

There's beer, wine and frozen tropical drinks for quaffing at lunch or dinner, too, all seven days.

> Tiki Grill

11220 S.E. Federal Highway, Hobe Sound (a block north of Bridge Road)

(772) 546-8511

Seven days, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. (kitchen closes at 8 p.m.)

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/06/04 06:12:39
It's great that the Tiki Grill can get these dogs. Too bad JoColl has had such a hard time. Jo, have you gone to this place yet?

DJ Rix,

I never had a Galloping Hill Inn dog when Zimmerman's supplied the rolls, but I think the current pechters roll is pretty good. It's harder and sturdier than a typical hot dog bun. Some people love it, while others think it is too big for the dog. As for the dog itself, it is made by Grote & Weigel of Conn. based on the original recipe that used to be made by Gaiser's of Union prior to 1988. It is not skinless, but rather has a collagen casing. I think it is a great dog. Perhaps you are used to the spicier all beef dog used at Charlies and Syd's. I see that you are from Rahway where I work. Have you been to Frank & Fries? What do you think of their dogs?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/06/05 18:36:34
Most of you from New Jersey have heard of pork roll or Taylor Ham. This product isn't available too far from Jersey. There is a website, www.porkrollxpress.com. that ships it all over the country. I just discovered that they added Grote & Weigel franks. They sell 3 lbs for $21.00 not including shipping. These are the natural casing beef and pork dogs called Boardwalk Style Franks. From what I understand, these are the same recipe as Schickhaus, but in a slightly smaller size. Maybe worth checking into.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/06/08 08:05:42
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

Well, I had a few hours to kill today, and rather than risk a drive down to Sayreville and possibly find that Nagles cart is not there on Saturday, I decided to head north instead. I drove up to Hillsdale to check out the Karl Ehmer Hot Dog Cart.

Ehmer's was my favorite brat years ago when I lived in Brooklyn. Most of them are out of business now, the Ehmer's on Broadway in Hillsdale is one of the few left. They set up a cart on Saturdays in front of the store and sell grilled Dogs, brats, and several other sausages. Quite the place to be in Hillsdale on a Saturday, judging from the line. The brat was good, but not quite the nirvana I remembered (then again, what is, these days). I also had one of their beef and pork dogs, and that hit the jackpot! Maybe the best I've had in NJ. Up there with Thuman's (my favorite), quite possibly even better. ---Ken

I made it up to Karl Ehmer's this past Monday planning on buying some of their German frankfurters and brats to take home. Even though it wasn't a Saturday, they had the cart open in front of the store. The cart had a compartment for heating sausages (German franks, all beef franks, brats, weisswurt, and other sausages) in water, as well as a griddle and small grill. I had a German frank ($2.50) and an all beef frank ($2.75) fresh off the griddle. Both were about 6 to a lb in size. You have your choice of sausages and your choice of how you want them prepared. The woman working the cart prefers hers simmerred in water, but most of them are already on the griddle ready to eat. You have to request one to be put on the grill if you want it char grilled.

The German beef and pork dog is right up there with Thumann's. An excellent tasting dog in this style. I bought some from the store with the intention of comparing them in a taste test, which I did yesterday. I also bought some bratwurst and all beef dogs to take home. The store looks like a butcher shop, but the meats are not made on premise, but rather at their plant in Ridgewood, N.Y. Brats, German franks, and other sausages are sold loose or by the pound. Beef franks were sold by the pound only. They are rather expensive. $6.99 a lb for franks and $6.49 for brats. I didn't ask about the other sausages.

The all beef dog was also very good. Spicy like a New York/New Jersey/Chicago dog. German style beef and pork dogs are the style preferred by these butcher shops. Some also include veal in the mix. All use their own unique recipe. The ones that make a beef dog usually make it milder than a typical all beef dog. Not so here. This dog was spicy and good. I bought a pack of them and will be comparing them to some other beef dogs I have at home when I get my shipment of Usinger's this week.

For me, I like to compare different brands side by side, prepared the same way at home. Yesterday I sampled a Thumann's, Karl Ehmer's German frank, and a Union Pork Store German frank, all simmerred in water and finished off on my griddle. All were excellent. Similar in taste, although Thumann's and Karl Ehmer's were closest. Just slightly more flavor and complexity than the Union Pork Store dog. But all equal in terms of overall quality. I would make my decision on which of these to buy based on convenience and price, since they are all in the same league. These 3 dogs, as well as Liehs and Steigerwald (from Syracuse and only available at their location or mail order) are my favorite German style dogs.

As I said, the differences in the 3 dogs sampled are small. The Union Pork store dog has a little tougher casing and slightly milder flavor than the other 2. Thumann's and Karl Ehmer's are very close in taste. In fact, this dog is the closest in taste to Thumann's. Thumann's is a little more tender and juicy. The dog from Liehs and Steigerwald that I sampled last summer is very juicy with a different spicing; containing veal and mace as an additional spice.

I also sampled the bratwurst from Karl Ehmer's. It was good, but ordinary. The brat from the Union Pork Store, which I had next to Ehmer's, was much better.

I'll have to check, but I think the cart may be open Mon. through Sat. For a grilled beef and pork frank, this place is at the top of my list. As good as you'll find in Jersey. It's a shame that it's very hard to find a place that serves a grilled Thumann's. All of the north Jersey places serve the deep fry dog. Falls View serves a griller, but it is specially made for them by Thumann's without the smoke. In my opinion, it isn't as good. There was a place in Hackensack called the Dog House Grill that I went to once 3 or 4 years ago that served the Thumann's griller. It was undercooked. At the Karl Ehmer's cart you can get your dog cooked in water, on the griddle or grill. It's prepared fresh and spends enough time on the grill or griddle. And you have a choice of German style, all beef, brat, or other sausage. Definitely one of my favorite places.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/07/02 18:39:01
Sonjaab,

Never had one of L&S coneys. I ordered from them once and had the German franks. An excellent dog made of pork, beef, and veal. Very good spicing also. One of the very best in this style along with Karl Ehmer's and Thumann's. I've also heard that their brats are very good.

I've heard of Meyer & Ranz, but never sampled anything from them. Hofmann's are available near me at Wegman's. Their German franks are good, but a little on the mild side. I've had the coney, and it was different than what I've had. I'm not sure whether or not I like them. It's just a different spicing.

I love the L&S franks. In addition to being tasty, they are also very juicy. Too bad they're only available at their location or through mail order.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2005/07/31 19:31:43
I had the chance to sample hot dogs from 2 places that I haven't heard of previously. On another forum, someone mentioned that the best hot dogs come from a place in East Brunswick called Continental Provisions. I called and spoke with the owner to find out if they were open Sunday. They are, so I went last Sunday.

Continental Provisions is owned by Karol Elsner. It was started by his family in 1961. All the recipes are from his grandfather, who learned his craft in Poland. There is a small store in the front and sausage making equipment and a smoke room in the back. The German style franks are made from beef and pork and come either natural casing or skinless. They are about 7 or eight to a pound. I've found that the best tasting beef and pork franks come from butcher shops such as these. They are superior to what larger commercial producers make. With a few exceptions, such as Thumann's. I've never had a subpar frank from any pork store.

Mr. Elsner explained to me that many hot dog makers use trimmings, while he uses whole cuts of beef and pork supplemented with trimmings. And old world recipes going back decades. I expected his franks to be good and they were that and more. They are up there with Liehs & Steigerwald and Karl Ehmer's as my favorite dogs from a butcher shop. Good, tender meat with a good blend of spices. Mild, but not bland. I compared them blind a few days later next to 2 other franks from local butcher shops in Union. My wife and I both picked the dogs from Continental Provisions as being the best. Definitely check out this place if you are near East Brunswick. It's on Main St. just over the border from Sayreville. They also sell bratwurst and other German and Polish sausages. They were out of bratwurst when I was there, so I didn't get to try it. They are well known for their kielbasy also, which they did have, but I didn't try. I did have a few kielbasa franks which were very good. Beef and pork franks, with extra spicing.

The other place I tried is called Ricci D's Front Street Cafe. Located at 124 W. Front St. in Keyport right across from the Ocean. I went today after reading a review last Wednesday in the Home News Tribune. They've been there 3 or 4 years, but I only learned of them when I read the review. The restaurant is owned by Mike Ricciardelli and his father Richard. They serve breakfast and lunch items, but their specialty is Italian Hot Dogs. The family has been in the restaurant business since the 1930's (4 generations) when it sold Italian Hot Dogs at the Chapel Street Market in Newark.

Again, I was expecting a good product, and again it met or exceeded my expectations. The double I had was an authentic Newark style Italian Hot Dog. Quality pizza bread, Best brand hot dogs, peppers, potatoes, and onions. Of course I skip the onions. The potatoes are sliced thin and fried twice. First blanched in a deep fryer, then fried a second time in a big pot with the dogs, peppers, and onions. Everything cooking in the same oil, causing the flavors to blend together. When the sandwich is being prepared, the peppers and onions are taken out of the oil and thrown on the griddle for a little while. The peppers, red and green, are also sliced thin.

The end result is a great Italian Hot Dog. Right up there with Charlies and Tommy's. The dogs are smaller; 10 to a lb rather than 8, which I prefer. But everything is done right, and you can tell that the family has been making these dogs for a long time. You don't normally find an authentic Italian Hot Dog south of Union County. There is Jo Jo's who moved to Toms River from Iselin. Good, but not a standout. Mike the owner of Ricci D's told me that he has many customers who have moved from North Jersey. When they hear about his place, the first thing they do when they walk in is ask about the bread. When they hear it is the same pizza bread used in North Jersey, they stay. They were prepared to walk out if they would have been told it was served on a sub or hoagie roll, as are the bastardized versions served at many South Jersey places and pizzerias. The best feedback he gets from these transplants is that they don't have to travel to North Jersey to get a top notch Italian Hot Dog.

Across the street near the water is a flea market with quite a few vendors. Makes for an excellent day trip. But make sure you get there before 4:00 on the weekend or 2:30 during the week.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 35 - Powered by APG vNext Trial