Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 69
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/24 12:59:17 (permalink)
My wife, who enjoys a hot dog when the mood hits her, asked me to take her to Tony's Truck in Newark. They are known for their excellent dirty water dogs. Their hot onions and chili are popular. I was only too happy to oblige. I don't eat onions but do like the dogs and chili. Tony's serves an all beef Golden D brand that is tasty and a little less spicy and a little more smoky than Sabrett. If you remember, Tony's was quite popular on last year's hot dog tour despite the 2 owners not wanting publicity.

I spoke with one of the owners (not Tony) and mentioned last year's Tour. He stated that he would love to have us back again so long as the Tour is not mentioned in the newspaper. The owners are worried about publicity and the possibility of being robbed. I told him that he won't have to worry about it this year as Tony's is not on the itinerary.

The dogs were fine as usual. I had 2 with just mustard and one with chili. Pat had one with chili and one with hot onions. Out of curiosity, I drove a little way to Chris's Red Hots, another hot dog truck located nearby. The reason was to have my wife compare the hot onions at Tony's to those at Chris's, which was named as having the best hot onions by the Munchmobile S.W.A.T. Team last summer. Tony's onions are wildly popular and perhaps more well known.

I had a chili dog which had a decent meaty chili. A little thicker, but less spicy than Tony's. I liked Tony's a little better, but Chris's was fine. Chris's serves a skinless 11 to a lb Sabrett, while Tony's serves a 10 to a lb natural casing Golden D. As for the onions, my wife said they were much hotter (spicy) than Tony's. She also preferred them to Tony's, as did most of the Munch Team. If you like hot onions, Chris's is the place. At least according to my wife and the S.W.A.T. Team.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/08/25 10:29:30 (permalink)
Hey John ,
Great trip report from Tonys Truck .
Still cannot understand why they would not want the business .
Got to figure the criminals already know he is popular , a motorcoach there for 25 - 30 minutes on a Saturday is not going to change that I think.
So be it .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/10 23:01:53 (permalink)
terrie l,

Hiram's serves a very good dog, and if I remember, a decent mustard as well. But the dog is not all beef; it is a beef and pork mix. They use the Thumann's dog for deep frying which is close to 80% pork. A great place with a great atmosphere; it's actually a small bar too. I think you'll enjoy Hiram's.
bigd
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/24 18:17:47 (permalink)

I just moved to northern Jersey and love hot dogs. I haven't eaten many in the last 10 years because I lived in Jacksonville, FL , truly a food wasteland. I am originally from the hot dog capital of the world, Chicago . What is the big fuss about jersey dogs? I don't get it.I have tried many places listed on the forum and have not been impressed. I will say that the quality of the dogs is superior to Chicago ,where most often, mediocre Vienna's are served. In Chicago, the best dogs are Leon's, but they are hard to find. The problem in Jersey is the hot dog preperation and ingredients. How can anyone serve a deep - fried hot dog!! ( ugh) or a griddled hot dog (doubled ugh with a straight face!!

The local take on a chili dog is somewhat unique and better than the Cinci version. Jersey is not a hot dog culture. Unlike Chicago, where there is a dog stand on every corner, here there just aren't that many.

Now if I can only find a decent italian beef place!!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/24 20:19:20 (permalink)
bigd,

Welcome to Roadfood and to North Jersey. I think quite a few people here might not agree with you regarding where the hot dog capital of the world is. I say North Jersey. Chicago may have a stand on every corner, but then again, so does Manhattan. In fact there are more carts in New York City than there are hot dog stands and establishments in Chicago. But even they are not indicative of the variety to be had in New York State. The Hudson Valley is home to many fine hot dog eateries providing a number of different types of dogs including "coneys" and "white Hots". They also have a number of Greek owned joints making excellent chili on premise.

You ask, "what is the big fuss about Jersey Dogs?" I would say that there are quality franks available from commercial producers like Best, Sabrett (originally a Jersey dog) Thumann's and Shickhaus, and the many European butcher shops throughout the state that make their own, as well as a variety of hot dog styles and types. In Chicago there is one basic type of hot dog referred to by many as a "salad on a bun". And over 80% of all hot dog establishments use one brand of dog, Vienna Beef. Don't get me wrong. I think Vienna is pretty good, but milder than the quality all beef dogs available here. But better suited to blend in better with all the ingredients included in a Chicago Hot Dog. A spicier dog like Best or Sabrett would throw everything out of balance.

I've had Leons. It is a good dog, but a beef/pork blend, which is different than Vienna, David Berg, Red Hot Chicago, Best, Sinai 48, and other popular brands from Chicago which are all beef.

Here in North Jersey we have quality dogs that are deep fried, griddled, boiled, steamed, charbroiled, and sometimes prepared more than one way. Admittedly, deep fried pork dogs may be an aquired taste. Rutt's Hut is perhaps the most well known Jersey hot dog joint, even though there are a few others that sell more dogs. They serve a special pork based dog that is made for deep frying. People swear by this dog. Have you seen the PBS special "A Hot Dog Program"? Rutt's is featured in it and always makes those "best of" lists. But many people hate this dog. A beef dog tastes good fried. Ever have an Italian Hot Dog? Only found in a few counties in Jersey. Fried beef dogs topped with peppers, potatoes, and onions placed in pita shaped pizza bread. Quite a history in North Jersey of the Italian Hot Dog. Not to mention the Texas Weiner. Or the dirty water dog. You are just plain wrong when you state that New Jersey does not have a hot dog culture. Check out The Great American Hot Dog Book by Becky Mercuri. She discusses the different regional styles throughout the country, including of course, Chicago.

You ask how anyone can serve a deep fried or griddled dog with a straight face. Are you aware that the most well known hot dog stand in the country griddle fries their dogs? I'm talking about Nathan's of course, which many people consider the quintessential American hot dog. A deep fried pork based dog may be an aquired taste, but to me so was a Chicago hot dog. A guy from Chicago opened J's Beef serving authentic Chicago dogs and Italian Beef. It took awhile but I finally acquired a taste for the Chicago hot dog and began to appreciate the nuances of this style. But it is just one of many. Let me suggest that you try some of the Jersey places again before you write them off. Which ones did you go to?

J's Beef closed temporarily. The owner is looking for a new location. I'll let you know when and where he will be opening when I find out. He served a great Chicago dog as well as Italian Beef sandwich. In fact, he was recogized by the president of Vienna Beef for his authentic Chicago dogs.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/25 00:41:39 (permalink)
Has there ever been a better post on Roadfood, than the one above?
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/25 17:10:36 (permalink)
BigD... you need to book a seat on the next tour.

Read through all the posts in this thread and then read the tour thread http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10337

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/09/25 22:12:31 (permalink)
Big D ,

We will save you a seat on next years Hot Dog Tour .
Dare to experience the wonders that are Jersey Hot Dogs !!!

Benzee
Twinglebaby
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/05 02:41:57 (permalink)
Hey jersey folk... I'm on a mission, hope someone can help me. I lived in South Jersey (In Thoms River) back in 1991. My boyfriend (at the time) took me to a hot dog joint somewhere in that area, best damn hot dog I have ever had. It had potatoes, onions, spicey deli mustard, and a bunch of other stuff. (Sorry memory has faded after all these years). I need help from you hot dog guys in finding out the name of this place and if its still there. I need to know what the hell they put on their dogs. I seem to remember Fisher Blvd. notsure if thats the way to get there of if thats where it was. Sorry I can't be more specific. Any help you can offer would be a charm. Thanks!
Twinglebaby
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/05 02:49:43 (permalink)
I used to live in Thoms River (early 90's) and I went to a hot dog joint, Not sure maybe Jo Jo's I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEY PUT ON THEIR DOGS!! I have been craving one since! Anyone know if there are still in business? Can't seem to find em on the web. HUNGRY AND HELPLESS IN Florida!!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/05 08:53:11 (permalink)
Twingle,
Odds are you speak of JoJo's Italian Hot Dogs. Here's the address and phone number. P.S. They're closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

2039 Route 37 E
Toms River, NJ 08753
Phone: (732) 270-9720

For a review by hot dog aficionado John Fox, whilst serving with The Star-Ledger Munchmobile SWAT Team, see his post of 11/19/2006, on page 19 of this thread.

The Bear

DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/11 18:21:27 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,
I was driving on route 28 near the Bound Brook/Bridgewater border, just east of route 287 and I noticed that Amazing Hot Dog is opening a new location. The sign said coming soon, not sure when that will be though, I drove by quickly. Just thought some of you might be interested.

Dave
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/11 19:01:56 (permalink)
Good catch, Dave. Here's the latest on that.

http://amazinghotdog.com/_wsn/page14.html

The Bear
Wytewyz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/12 06:18:39 (permalink)
Hi all! New to the group but always a fan of hot dogs.
I recently broke my ankle so I was sitting here reading everyones posts for the last hour or so..
It's nice to find a group as passionate about roadfood as me.
Please let me know how to join these roadtrips you go on.

As I read this forum (I went back about a year) I was intrigued by the fact that the Riverview East in Elmwood Park is never mentioned. The joints all around it are reviewed over and over again but I can't recall seeing Riverview East anywhere.
Is there something I should know about? I've been going there since I was a kid (too long ago)and have seen owners change but the dogs keep coming out.
I hope that some of you can give your opinions on the place so that I can better gauge who has the same likes/dislikes as me.

Thanks for all the insight on the hot dog places in NJ. I just printed myself a list of all the mini reviews to keep in my truck.
It will make for some tasty side trips in the future.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/12 18:03:11 (permalink)
That's great news about AHD opening in BoundBrook/Bridgewater. That will make a perfect stop on my way back from Bridgewater Costco to Scotch Plains. Of course then I will have to decide whether to get a very good dog and a coke for $1.50 at Costco or an excellent dog and coke at AHD for a lot more. And both those places have very good fries as well. Oh the choices we have to make! --Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/13 09:10:06 (permalink)
Jimmy Buff's will be serving their signature Italian Hot Dogs at the new Prudential Center in Newark.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-12/1192249661216030.xml&coll=1
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/13 18:55:37 (permalink)
<<Al's Sabrett cart. It is located at 92nd street and 7th ave. in brooklyn, by victory memorial hospital, and across from poly prep school.>>

Great timing. I saw this early this morning and I was heading to Brooklyn today anyway. I came up to the 92st Exit on the Expressway at about 11:30 AM so I decided to make a stop. Great Sabrett dogs, had one with onions (sweet and excellent) and one with Chili (Mild but flavorful). Thanks for the tip, among the best cart (OK it's really a truck) Hot Dogs I've had. I didn't try anything else but yes, he has quite a menu.

I hadn't been on that block since my daughter was born at Victory Memorial almost 24 years ago. I'm sure there was a hot dog truck there back then also, but I don't remember anything about it. --Ken
Wytewyz
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/15 11:25:32 (permalink)
Hi guys!
I just recieved some coupons in the mail for Danny's Dogs in Garfield. It's a new one to me and I was wondering if anyone has been there yet.
The ad says that it's "The Only Hot Dog Restaurant in New Jersey" so they must be selling hallucinogenics there too. LOL

Danny's Dogs
100 River Drive
Garfield, NJ

(I'm wondering if it's the old Swewart's Root Beer location.)

RCS
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/15 11:39:33 (permalink)
Don't know if it's the old Stewart's location, but I have been there once before. Tiny little place serving small 11 to a lb boiled Sabretts. Very run of the mill. They also have a thick, overly spicy chili. I would stop by if I was nearby and had coupons, otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way. There are much better.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/16 10:57:05 (permalink)
For those of you interested in the mini tour to Charlies Pool Room on Monday Nov 12, (Veterans Day) the owners will be opening exclusively for us. See details on the Misc Food Related Forum under the Tour thread.

Someone I know who lives in Florida most of the year will be returning to Jersey for a weekend. He wants to go to Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover for the first time. I will be meeting him between 12:00 and 1:00 on Saturday, Oct. 27. Anyone who wants to join us, please feel free to stop by. We would be happy to meet you there. The back room isn't reserved for that day, so we can meet up there. Feel free to bring some beer if you wish.
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/21 14:56:30 (permalink)
I finally found myself on Route 10 recently and decided to check out Jimmy Buff's East Hanover location. Although I enjoyed the Italian hot dog I have one complaint. The overall quality of the sandwich was compromised by the unmistakable taste of canned pepper strips that were slightly past their prime. Unfortunately every Italian hot dog place seems to use the canned peppers.
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/23 15:21:34 (permalink)
I have been working in the very heart of Princeton, NJ for over a year now and can't believe that in this busy, little, college town, I can't find one Hot Dog place. When I ask, I am referred to Wawa, so I know there is a problem here. A few greasy places that appealed to me have Hot Dogs on the menu, but, the dog is not their focus or specialty. This place is a gold mine waiting to be tapped. If anyone has a suggestion, PLEASE let me know. If it is walking distance from PU, that would be best, but a short drive is doable for a lunch time Dog crave.

Also, I was working in New Brunswick and they have a little shack of a place serving up good Dogs. It's called Tido's, and it is on Easton Ave. It is worth checking out, I have never been there without a line but it moves fast and the fresh cut fries are great!!!
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/23 19:44:46 (permalink)
JakerDog: The only place in the area that I could recommend would be Stewart's Root Beer on business Rte 1 south in Lawrenceville. Decent chili dog and other drive in standards.
Wytewyz
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/24 03:11:07 (permalink)
Anyone else catch Anthony Bourdain on the Travel Channel yesterday?
Great segment at Hiram's in Fort Lee. Got me hungry for Hiram's.

He also hit Satin Doll's (Lodi) and Gencarelli's Bakery (Bloomfield) with Mario Batalli.

I recommend that you see this episode when it airs again. Don't miss the end of the show. It was hilarious!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/24 07:53:29 (permalink)
I happenned to see the show yesterday. Hiram's was featured in the first 5-10 minutes. I'll have to watch it again since I turned it off after the segment on Hiram's.

Anyone interested in joining me and a friend this Saturday at Jimmy Buff's? We will be meeting at 12 noon at the East Hanover location. Feel free to bring beer if you wish.
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/24 13:56:43 (permalink)
eggsactly - thanks for the reply. I can't believe it. There are so many people on the street and lots of little store front shops. A HOt Dog place would do well, really well considering PU is right there. I can't do the Wawa Dogs so the search continues. Let me know if you think of anything.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/25 15:27:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by eggsactley

I finally found myself on Route 10 recently and decided to check out Jimmy Buff's East Hanover location. Although I enjoyed the Italian hot dog I have one complaint. The overall quality of the sandwich was compromised by the unmistakable taste of canned pepper strips that were slightly past their prime. Unfortunately every Italian hot dog place seems to use the canned peppers.

The first time I visited Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover Jim let me take a look behind the counter to see his equipment, namely the tilted steel pan, griddle, and charcoal grill. While back there I saw peppers being taken out of the back to be cooked. They weren't from a can. Now this was in February I believe, so it's possible that he could have switched, but I haven't tasted anything that I would guess is canned peppers. They've tasted fresh and good every time I've been there. I happened to speak with Jim yesterday and asked him. He told me that he uses fresh, not canned peppers.

I don't know of any places serving Italian Hot Dogs that use canned peppers though I suspect there may be some. When I went to Dickie Dees with the Munchmobile last summer, the peppers were hard and tasted like they could have been from a can. Certainly not as flavorful as other places. Again I'm not sure if they were canned. Another member thought for sure they were.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/10/25 17:34:13 (permalink)
Hi everyone,
I went to a sabrett truck on Route 31 in Oxford the other day. It's called Red's Hot Dogs and the dog I had was pretty good. The homemade chili was nothing special, but the dog was good. The owner makes homemade hot onions which I'll have to try another time. Anyway for anyone who's in Northwest Jersey and interested, the truck is on the Northbound side of Route 31 a few miles north of the Washington Twp. in Warren County, or about 10-15 minutes away from Hot Dog Johnnies.

Dave
SoulOnFire
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/11/02 00:44:54 (permalink)
Jaker, I'm also in Mercer County (Yardville) and as far as I know, there's nothing by way of good dogs in this county. And I think most Roadfooders kinda skip over Mercer as a result. There is a great place called Fame in Hamilton that may do a great dog, based on the fact they do everything else great. I'll try it this weekend and post my findings.
robroy
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/11/02 22:48:33 (permalink)
Had the Italian hotdog at Stewarts in Gillette, NJ the other day. Not bad at all, would get it again. What was especially good was the french fries, not sure if it was the oil mixture they used but they were exceptional. Of course Stewarts has great root beer in frosted mugs too. Good lunch.

Have lived in Jersey for all my 47 years & have loved hotdogs since I can remember. I am still on the lookout for new places to try. This site is great and I will tell you that the folks here who talk about NJ hotdogs are not steering you wrong.

Here's what a hotdog in NJ means to me: when I was in grammar school my dad used to pick me up at lunch hour & we'd grab lunch at Spiros lunch wagon in Bayonne. Spiros was always parked under the NJ Turnpike underpass on Avenue C. I'd have 2 sabretts with mustard, maybe kraut. My dad would have Spiro's meatball sandwich which was served on half a pizza bread. We'd eat lunch in the family Rambler parked under the overpass. Remember how the car glove compartments used to open up so you could use them for a drink tray? My drink was always a Yoohoo or a Cotts cream soda. Remember drinking out of paper straws? And if I was ready for a third dog, my dad was always good for it. Thinking about it, I can feel the cool air under that overpass & I can taste that dog right now. I would give anything share another hotdog with my dad, rest his soul. Think I'll buy my son a dog tomorrow at the Galloping Hill Inn after we get our haircuts...

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 20 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1