Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 68
Author
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/10 20:50:51 (permalink)
Bordwalk hot dog in in brick on drum point road.

Bill M
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/11 21:13:21 (permalink)
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/nyregion/nyregionspecial2/09dinenj.html

Click on the above link for an article that ran in last Sunday's New York Times called "Hidden Treasures of the Food Industry". Included is Best Provisions in Newark, N.J. who produces the franks used at famous New Jersey hot dog establishments like Jimmy Buff's, Tommy's Italian Hot Dogs, Jerry's Famous Frankfurters, and the dearly departed Syd's and Don's.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/11 21:45:53 (permalink)
Great article John. Already put the addresses down on paper Cant wait to get some fresh Papperadelle!!!!
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/16 19:39:26 (permalink)
Hey all my wife and i were lucky enough to be invited to Amazing Hotdog's Grand opening party Thursday night in Bound Brook. We met the owners who were really cool and sampled just about every one of their excellent concoctions.!!! My wifes favorite were the My Schmeero dog and the Hawiaan dog and mine were the Breakfast dog with fried egg and Bacon, the Classic melt with excellent sauteed onions, and also the "Asian dog" with teryaki, sesame seeds and PEANUT BUTTER!!!! Really neat place with excellent fries also They officially open tomorrow 12/17 they are doing breakfast at this location also opens at 8 A.M.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 18:59:10 (permalink)
Amazing Hot Dog Bound Brook Grand Opening

Screenbear and I decided to go to the new Amazing Hot Dog store in Bound Brook, NJ today. Yesterday was the actual first day of business, but we were not able to get there until today.

We arrived at 1:30 PM as the tail of the lunch crowd was finishing up. There was a good sized crowd of about 20 people finishing up their lunch. As we ate and talked with some of the other customers I was surprised that there was always at least four or five people eating in the store. I think this is very good for being only the second day of business for this location.

I ordered the Smokey Joe. This is the standard quarter pound deep fried hot dog topped with BBQ sauce and baked beans. Bear ordered a "normal" hot dog with onions, relish, and mustard. We also ordered some of the hand cut fries.

I found the Smokey Joe to be a tasty hot dog. The underlying dog turns out to be a very famous NJ specialty. Screenbear took the time to explain to me that this dog is made by Best’s in Newark, NJ. It is a quarter pound dog with a natural casing and a nice spice profile. It was originally made for a long defunct place in Irvington called Don’s and has become known as Best’s “Don’s dog”.

The deep fried hot dog had a very nice snap and crunch to the skin. This contrasted nicely to the smooth texture of the beans. The beans blended subtly into the lightly spiced BBQ sauce so that it was difficult to tell where the beans sauce ended and the BBQ sauce started. I found this to be a wonderful taste and texture sensation.

Screenbear was very familiar with the hot dogs at Amazing Hot Dog. He was pleased with his more standard dog. We found the fries to be crisp and tasty. These hand cut fries were fried perfectly. The golden brown color is indicative of a deep and slightly sweet taste. If you look closely at the picture you will see the coarse grains of salt that are sprinkled on the fries. This adds just the right balance of salt to contrast with the slightly sweet taste of the browned fries.

I have found some hand cut fries that are not fried correctly and come out too soft and flavorless. These had just the right flavor that can only come from a hand cut French fry that is prepared by people who know what they are doing.

We decided to split one more hot dog. Screenbear wanted to try the bacon wrapped hot dog with cheese whiz. This was another excellent dog. The hot dog gets a wrapping of bacon before it is deep fried. This adds an extra layer of flavor and crunch to an already flavorful and crunchy dog. The cheese whiz smothers the crisp dog in a comforting and tasty blanket of cheese. This ranks very high as comfort food for hot dog lovers.

A few weeks ago I learned about the “sweet works” style of dressing a dog. Today I learned about another style of dressing a dog that I had not heard of before. It is called the “hot works.”

Screenbear and I were to talking to a gentleman who had grown up in the Weequahic neighborhood of Newark about 20 years before Screenbear. On my last trip I learned that Weequahic favored putting mustard, relish, and sauerkraut on a hot dog and calling it “sweet works”. This trip I learned that they also put mustard, hot relish, and kraut on a dog and call it “hot works”. The more I learn about hot dogs the more I realize just how regional they are and how each region has their unique approach to preparing their style of hot dog.

I have one complaint about Amazing Hot Dogs. Their hot dogs are too big. Amazing Hot Dogs offers so many different ways to top their tasty hot dogs that I want to try several of them when I visit. With a quarter pound dog you are limited to how many dogs you can eat on a visit. I am not asking them to change the size of the hot dog. They serve an excellent dog. It just makes it difficult to sample different toppings without overeating. I guess I will just have to visit more frequently.

Next we drove about three miles east on NJ Route 28 to Middlesex Texas Weiner. I had worked in this area for many years and had tried several of the Texas Weiner places on Route 22. I had never found any that I really liked. Screenbear suggested we try this place.

We each had a Texas Weiner and hash browns. The wieners were topped with a well made Greek or Cincinnati style chili, onions, and mustard. This chili had a little bit more hot spice to it than some of the other Greek chili that I have tasted. This extra spice added just enough heat to make it noticeable but not overwhelming. It was still easy to taste the mustard and onions underneath the chili. The mustard added a slight sour contrast to the chili and the onions added a nice sweet crunch for texture contrast.

The underlying hot dog was a grilled six to one from Grote & Weigel. Or so said Screenbear. This dog was the perfect base for this sandwich. All in all I had found a Plainfield style Texas Weiner that I liked.

We like our hash browns crisp and had asked for them cooked that way. They were crisp, but could have been cooked longer. Maybe we should have asked for them to be crunchy. The bits of onion in them added a bit of flavor that we liked.

At the end of the day I had two positive experiences at two hot dog restaurants that I had not visited before. I am looking forward to visiting both places again.

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 21:04:54 (permalink)
Great pictures and reviews! I've enjoyed the hot dogs at both places. In fact, Amazing Hot Dog (Verona) was a stop on the 2006 N.J. Hot Dog Tour. It's a great place if you enjoy a wide variety of toppings. For me it's a bit of overkill (Peanut butter! Cream Cheese!) and I wouldn't put most of that stuff on a hot dog. Once I had a Reuben Dog, which I enjoyed, but mostly I got their basic dog (Classic) topped with just mustard. This is how I enjoy a well seasoned beef dog most of the time. They serve a tasty chili as well. Twice I ordered that although they put very little chili on both times.

I much prefer a smaller thinner dog as well. The 5 to a lb dog served at Jimmy Buff's and the recently closed Syd's is a great size. As is the 8 to a lb dog used at Jerry's. I like fried dogs, but most of the time I'd rather have a grilled dog. Or fried and chargrilled like they do at Jimmy Buff's. Don's, which used the same dog as Amazing, prepared it on a flat griddle. One problem with a dog this size is that it has to be cooked sufficiently to stay hot. Someone I know who used to fry the 4 to a lb told me that if it wasn't fried until the skin split, the dog wouldn't stay hot long enough. I haven't been to Amazing in awhile, but the last few times my dogs weren't served hot enough. Others have said the same thing. I've mentioned this to Eric and hope that he has taken this criticism seriously. I know that when they are busy, they leave the dogs out of the oil on some heating device and then put them back in the oil. I wish them luck on their new restaurant.

Middlesex Texas Weiner is perhaps my favorite place serving a Plainfield Area grilled Texas Weiner. All of these places are very similar since they use the same 6 to a lb Grote & Weigel dog, but the chili is a little better here and the dogs are grilled a little longer than other places, which I feel do not leave them on the grill long enough. It's a nice little restaurant and the service has always been very good.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 21:14:51 (permalink)
John -

FWIW the dog at Amazing was hot all the way through and stayed warm enough for me as I ate it. During the meal we did discuss the challenge that a quarter pounder presents when it is deep fried. It takes a bit of time for the inside of such a thick dog to warm up. This seemed to work for me.

Also, Screenbear just sent me a note saying that Don's was in Livingston not Irvington. That's what I get for leaving my notebook at home and having to write everything from memory.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 21:16:04 (permalink)
Hi everyone,
I too visited Amazing Hot Dog today. I needed a hot dog fix on my way home from work around 4:30. There was someone ahead of me getting an order to take out and someone sitting down eating when I arrived. Once I placed my order the dog arrived rather quickly and the girl behind the counter was friendly. I had one of the bacon wrapped 1/4 pounder dogs with cole slaw and homemade chili, it was excellent. Perfectly cooked, wonderful snap and spice, and the bacon added a nice crunch. The chili had a nice amount of spice without being overly spicy, and the creamy cole slaw balanced it nicely. I agree with Akavar about the size of the dogs, but like he mentioned, it just gives me an excuse to stop there often.

Dave
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 21:19:28 (permalink)
I just noticed that I posted the wrong picture from Texas Weiners. If anyone cares, I just changed the last picture which was a duplicate of the previous picture. Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
BoyDog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/18 21:33:12 (permalink)
It's nice to see a new hot dog place going up pretty close. I'll have to try Amazing pretty soon, and will also have to convince my uncle to try it, since he lives only a block away from it.

Middlesex Texas Weiner is a great place to go. I go there with my grandmother every once in a while. That lady behind the counter is always there, no matter if I am having lunch or dinner. I wonder if she owns the place?

Oh yea, one more thing. Anyone ever eaten at Joey's Grill, which is across Tea St. from Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook? I always pass by it and want to try it, but never actually have.
Jimmy Buff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/19 17:15:41 (permalink)
Congrats to Eric and Matt (Amazing Hotdogs),
Stopped in Bound Brook for lunch with my son today and enjoyed a bacon and cheese dog. It was excellent. The place is awesome with all the latest technology. Good luck guys and hope both places boom.

Jim
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1876
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/19 21:54:43 (permalink)
Hi all,

Good luck to the new location of Amazing Hot Dogs !!!
It was a popular spot on our 2006 Jersey Hot Dog Tour
Will have to visit soon one day

Benzee
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/20 04:12:39 (permalink)
I'm coming back to NJ to visit in 2 weeks, what part of Bound Brook is this Amazing Hot Dogs at?
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/20 07:13:13 (permalink)
Amazing Hot Dogs is on NJ Route 28 just a few blocks east of where it crosses I-287 at exit 13. Depending on where you are coming from you can get there from Rt. 22, NJ Rt. 28, or I-287.
Louis144
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/20 22:03:45 (permalink)
I have been registered here for many years, but I just noticed the NJ Hot Dog forum when the most recent Roadfood e-mail arrived.
36 pages of entries!
For anyone just joining, I can save you time, there are many fine places in NJ, but the answer to the question "NJ Hot Dog?" is "Rutts Hut". It's it and that's that.
Now let's eat!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/20 22:21:04 (permalink)
Wrong,
The BEST Jersey Dog is at Max's in Long Branch...or Boardwalk Hot Dogs in Brick. Period!!!!!
Leethebard
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/20 23:15:35 (permalink)
Lee-

Actually, when I go to Long branch my preference is the Wind Mill that looks like a wind mill. I have tried Max's several times, but I like Wind Mill better.

In this forum we usually agree to disagree. I am glad that you like Max's, but I hope you do not think any less of me because I prefer Wind Mill.

Please keep on liking Max's. That is why there are different restaurants because we all have our own preferences.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/21 06:14:25 (permalink)
For those of you that live north of Long Branch (where Max's and the Windmill are down the street from each other) there is a Windmill on East Broad Street in Westfield. Windmill serves a long 1/4 pound Sabrett beef and pork dog that they griddle fry. Max's uses a 1/4 pound Schickhaus dog they prepare the same way. Jimmy Buff's also serves the Schickhaus dog at their East Hanover location. Here it's grilled (on a griddle) and finished off on a charcoal grill.

The 2 dogs are similar in flavor and equal in quality, though I prefer the Schickhaus slightly. A little more flavor. But if I'm in Long Branch, I'll go to the Windmill. Service is much better and friendlier. If you like chili on your dog, Windmill's is much better than Max's.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/22 16:33:13 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,
I went to Boardwalk Hot Dogs today because of the recommendations posted here. I wasn't expecting to like it because I don't usually like griddled beef/pork dogs. I was wrong, the Schickhaus dog was very tasty. I liked the way it was griddled and then char broiled. The chili was a good consistency and it had a nice amount of spice. The only negative I had which I also mentioned above for Amazing Hot Dog was the size, but that's just an excuse to go back to try other menu items. All in all I was very happy with Boardwalk Hot Dogs.

Dave
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/22 18:03:22 (permalink)
Thanks for the directions, too bad I only have 2 days in NJ to try about 20 places. I'll have to bring a cooler up again. Has anyone tried the Stewarts Root Beer on Rt 22 up near Round Valley? I want to say its either Clinton or Readington Twnshp. Supposedly its under new owners and has outstanding dogs. I havnt been there since about 1991 so have no idea.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1596
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/22 18:56:17 (permalink)
My mini tour of Middlesex County on Friday did not go exactly as planned, but it tunred out OK nonetheless.

My son and I started at Costco in Bridgewater. As usual, nice big Sabrett Beef Dog and Soda for only $1.50, and 2 huge orders of Fried for $1,25 each. The idea was to take most the Fries home, but my son went to town on his order and proclaimed that he was full! With 2 stops to go. C'mon Justin, you gotta get with the program.... Nah, you can't tell a 19 year old how to eat, if he's hungry he's hungry.

Anyway, heading East on 28 out of Costco, traffic stopped for at least 10 minutes, there was some kind of tie up just past I278. Giving up, I made a (illegal, I guess) U Turn and got on 278 up to 22 and headed east. Then back down to 28 in Middlesex. Well past Amazing Hot Dogs. So I decided to save that for next time and headed to Middlesex Texas Weiners.

When I got there I realized I had never been there before! For one thing it was on the wrong side of the road from the place I was thinking of. I just looked it up on the internet, and I may have been thinking of Big Daddy's Texas Weiners (further West on 28). Unless there's another Texas Weiner place in that same area (John?).

In any event, I had two weiners with everything, and they were real good. My only complaint was that the weiner sauce was a little dry and crumbly, and kept dropping off the dog onto the plate. I'd have to compare them side by side with the one in Downtown Plainfield before declaring a favorite. Come to think of it, I should have done just that, but we headed back up to 22 and home. I will be back to Middlesex Texas Weiners.

Happy Holidays everyone!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/23 10:00:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Jackson

Being from the Detroit area I agree that Michigan has by far the best Hot Dogs anywhere. But as we are all partial to our regional favorites. New Jersey the garden state is a beautiful place with top quality Hot Dogs.If not why are our friends fron New Jersey so passionate about it. It would appear that thediningroom has never been to your fine state.This thread New Jersey Hot Dogs is by far the most popular in its class and continues to be not only passionate but informational. I check it daily. But please remember that the Coney Island Style Hot Dog was invented in Michigan.....Have a great day Russ....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM

I enjoyed your post. It's obvious thedinigroom has never eaten at a hot dog joint here in Jersey. At least not one serving Texas Weiners, which are very similar to Michigan's Coney Islands.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the Coney Island Hot Dog was invented in Michigan, although it might have been. I always believed what we know as a Coney Island or Texas Weiner was invented in Paterson, N.J. in 1920 by a man named John Petrellis. Becky Mercuri, author of the Great American Hot Dog Book, did some research and can point to a number of Coney Island Hot Dog restaurants in various states that opened earlier than 1920. One in the south, perhaps Alabama, opened in 1913. I'll have to check the book again. It seems that Greek immigrants came to this country and opened hot dog restaurants all over serving a similar type of chili. These restaurants became known as "Coney Island" or "Texas Weiner" joints. In Plattsburgh, N.Y. they call this type of hot dog a "Michigan" and trace the origin to a woman named Eula Otis in 1925. It's not known for sure, but speculation is that she came from Michigan. Rhode Island also has a variation of this dog called "New York System Wieners".

For anyone interested in hot dogs and their history, I recommend the Great Amewrican Hot Dog Book by Becky Mercuri.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/23 11:34:02 (permalink)
Shelly,
Where do you sell dogs in NJ? I'm always up for trying some place new. Or maybe I've already eaten there :)

Dave
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6265
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/23 19:54:45 (permalink)
Just a note.
I too went back to boarwalk hotdogs in Brick,yesterday. Living in Brick it's my favorite hot fog site as I've said many times here...but I noticed a different couple seems to own it now..and the furnishings are different. The great food seems to be the same..but since I only go there for hot dogs,I can't say. Prices a bbit higher too. $3.50 for a dog now..but for these superb Schickaus. still not bad!
leethebard
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/23 20:39:34 (permalink)
Lee,
I don't know how well you knew the old owner, but the guy I met said his name was Fred. He seemed nice enough, and there was a woman helping him, I have no idea if it was his wife, girlfriend, sister, friend or just an employee. My wife had a turkey burger which she enjoyed, and the steak fries were good too.

Dave
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/23 21:32:27 (permalink)
i liked J&G in Dunellen the few times i have been there. With all of this talk of Boardwalk Hot Dogs in Brick, i may have to stop there one Wed when things get slow(After1/1/08). Is there still a Texas Weiner place in Hillsborough? I remember passing it when i used to live in Bridgewater...

dannybotz
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/24 15:22:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

i liked J&G in Dunellen the few times i have been there. With all of this talk of Boardwalk Hot Dogs in Brick, i may have to stop there one Wed when things get slow(After1/1/08). Is there still a Texas Weiner place in Hillsborough? I remember passing it when i used to live in Bridgewater...

the place in Hillsborough my wife and I went to a couple of weeks ago on a friday night. The place was spotless! Amazingly clean and the owner was a really really nice guy who has owned it for about 6 months now! We talked about the business and he is a hard working guy trying to raise a family and make it there. Unfortunately the township has some really bad laws about signage and they are relly giving him the screws!! its not the first time i had heard that Hillsboruogh was really crooked with a lot of Hands out if you know what i mean1!! and also unfortunately his chili sauce was by our standards(my wife and i) very sub par. Quite frankly it just wasnt a very good dog! I dont know how the rest of his food is (hes open all day) but nonethe less i hope he does well cause he was so very nice to us....By the way the other post that talked about Big-Daddys texas weiners thats where Joeys grill is now right across the street from Amazing -Hot dog!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1596
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/24 16:05:19 (permalink)
<<I think the place you are thinking of further west on 28 is J&G in Dunellen.>>

That's it! Thanks John. I'm still stunned that I had never been to Middlesex Tx Weiners, all this time I had it confused with J & G.

One could do a tour just by heading west from Scotch Plains out to the NJ/PA border on 22 and 28:

1. The Hot Dog Truck on Terrill Rd about 1/2 mile South of 22.
2. Red Tower on 22 (my son says it's gotten much better than my only visit years ago).
3. Texas Weiner 1 in Plainfield
4. Texas Weiner 2 on Rt 22 (Yes, I know it has gone downhill)
5. Middlesex Tx Weiner
6. J & G
7. Amazing
8. Costco
9. Stewarts on 22 nr Lebanon
10. Toby's Cup
11. The one right on the Delaware in P'burg (I forget the new name, not the place that used to be Eddie's Drive in, the place across the street).
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1876
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/24 21:03:50 (permalink)
Ken ,

If you are gonna go to Tobys Cup on your little tour you have to add Charlies Pool Room in Alpha . Just a thought .

As far as " Mr Michigan" , I'm sure the powers will handle it accordingly .

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/24 23:00:10 (permalink)
Ken,
I believe you are referring to Jimmy's on the Delaware in Phillipsburg, and I second Benzee to add Charlie's Pool Room.

Dave
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1