Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 69
Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/25 08:42:04 (permalink)
<<I believe you are referring to Jimmy's on the Delaware in Phillipsburg, and I second Benzee to add Charlie's Pool Room.>>

Thanks, yes, Jimmy's.

How could I have forgot Charlie's. Thanks guys for reminding me. OK, 12 stops.

PS: It's not a real tour at this point, just a post, but maybe in the spring.
JakerDog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/27 10:53:34 (permalink)
I may have found a place. Since my job changed to Princeton, I have longed for a good Dog in the area. It seems there is nothing within walking distance of a major University. I have been given two recommendations, WAWA and Zorba's for a 4:50 tasteless dog wrapped in foil to the pioint that the bun was a soggy mess. Until yesterday! I went to a place called Chucks for wings. It is a locally famous little wing joint once owned my the notorious killers the Kyle and Lyle Menedez brothers. Well I found Chucks serves an all beef Kosher hotdog for $2.50. It was good and served in a really nice Italian style roll, really more suited for and Italian Hot Dog. I have no more details, I don't know what kind of dog, but it was rather large but no snap so I'm guessing no natural casing. The Dog was served plain in the roll and I saw no options for toppings, but it's a start, thank goodness it's a start!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/27 20:16:12 (permalink)
If it's a large dog, and it's kosher, and it's served in New Jersey, the odds are good that it's a skinless, 1/4 lb. Hebrew National....a fine dog.

It's the same frankfurter Costco serves with a refillable soda as its loss leader in this market. 5 Guys splits it lengthwise and griddles it. If it's not a Hebrew National, then that's interesting.
The Bear
quote:
Originally posted by JakerDog

I may have found a place. Since my job changed to Princeton, I have longed for a good Dog in the area. It seems there is nothing within walking distance of a major University. I have been given two recommendations, WAWA and Zorba's for a 4:50 tasteless dog wrapped in foil to the pioint that the bun was a soggy mess. Until yesterday! I went to a place called Chucks for wings. It is a locally famous little wing joint once owned my the notorious killers the Kyle and Lyle Menedez brothers. Well I found Chucks serves an all beef Kosher hotdog for $2.50. It was good and served in a really nice Italian style roll, really more suited for and Italian Hot Dog. I have no more details, I don't know what kind of dog, but it was rather large but no snap so I'm guessing no natural casing. The Dog was served plain in the roll and I saw no options for toppings, but it's a start, thank goodness it's a start!
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/27 20:40:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

If it's a large dog, and it's kosher, and it's served in New Jersey, the odds are good that it's a skinless, 1/4 lb. Hebrew National....a fine dog.

It's the same frankfurter Costco serves with a refillable soda as its loss leader in this market. 5 Guys splits it lengthwise and griddles it. If it's not a Hebrew National, then that's interesting.
The Bear

quote:
Originally posted by JakerDog

Screenbear,

I would agree with you. However, another 1/4 pound kosher beef frank has recently made it's way into New Jersey. This frank is Best Kosher, which is owned by corporate giant Sara Lee. It is now the hot dog that is served at Amazing Hot Dog. They switched brands from Best Provisions (Newark, N.J.) to Best Kosher, which I believe is still made in Chicago. This frank, in my opinion, is not nearly as good as the frank from Best Provisions. I've had it a few times. It was sold for awhile at Wegmans in Woodbridge. I also sampled it in a blind tasting this past July when we had it shipped in from Chicago. Among the panel it didn't score nearly as well as the New Jersey Best frank. I believe they have an Eastern distributor now.

I haven't been to Amazing Hot Dog since they switched brands, so I don't know the reason for the switch. Maybe one of the owners can say. I'm surprised that no one who went to the Bound Brook location noticed. I guess if you load up your dog with their many toppings, it might be hard to notice.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/28 21:05:36 (permalink)
I went to Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook today for the first time. I can positively confirm that while they switched brands, the brand they are now using is NOT Best Kosher. I'm sorry for posting wrong information. I'm glad that I went to Bound Brook to find out from the source. And I'm glad the dog they are now using is not Best Kosher. This one is much better.

The owners (Matt and Eric) did not advertise or publicize the fact that they switched brands, nor did they hide the fact. I don't know why they chose to change brands, but I can tell you that the brand they are now using is a top quality frankfurter. It is made by a small company in New England and Amazing Hot Dog is the only place in New Jersey that serves it. You cannot get it in New York either. I have heard about this particular hot dog and have been unsuccesful trying to get it from the company. I would have had to order a large quantity.

Well, I finally got to sample it today. The best way I can describe it is that it is in the Eastern Jewish/Kosher style. All beef, 4 to a lb with natural casing. The casing is thin, but tough. Similar to Best. A little less tough than Boars Head or Grote & Weigel beef dogs. I liked it. The flavor, in contrast to Best was a little less spicy, a little less garlic/paprika flavor, but a little more smoke flavor, though less than Hatfield, which has a lot of smokiness. This frank had a pleasing, balanced flavor. Quality wise this frank is as good an all beef dog as there is. But it definitely has a different flavor profile. Had I not known previously that Amazing had switched brands, I would have been able to tell after the first bite. This dog is one of my favorite all beef dogs along with Best, Usinger's, Boars Head, and Sabrett. All with their own unique flavor, all great. Depends on your personal taste and what kind of spice blend you like.

Although I love Best and have often stated that it is my favorite beef dog, I'm glad that we have access to a top quality dog that is rare and only available here. The Grote & Weigel beef dog served at Father & Son was good and only served there. They later switched to Best. Although I preferred the Best dog, I was glad when they switched back to Grote & Weigel because it was not sold anywhere else.

I had one dog half plain and half with mustard. My second dog was half mustard and half chili. The chili at Amazing is very good. Rich, flavorful, and with a hint of chocolate. Both dogs were prepared perfectly and were definitely served hot.

You can also buy these dogs cold to cook at home. Four of them (one pound) goes for $6.00. I'm going to grill one this weekend.

I wish Matt and Eric good luck with their new location. I'll be back soon to Amazing, although it will probably be their Verona location which is an easier ride for me.
ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/29 17:50:26 (permalink)
Amazing.
The Bear
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/29 21:51:10 (permalink)
John,

Great report .
Good luck to Matt and Eric on the new shop .!!
A lot of positive buzz and its ... Amazin !!

Benzee
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2007/12/30 18:01:11 (permalink)
Thanks John for your usual fine investigative work. I'll definately be getting over to Bound Brook to try their new dog soon. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/02 17:14:40 (permalink)
There is a restaurant that recently began serving the Syd's dog. That makes 2 places that I know of. One is Jimmy Buff's East Hanover location, which has been serving this dog for a few years now. There is no better beef dog. At Syd's, you had the choice of getting your dog boiled or grilled. Grilled was boiled fisrt, then finished off on a gas grill similar to a backyard grill. Not a griddle. At Buff's, the dogs are sauteed in oil first, then finished off on a real charcoal grill.

Seymour's Luncheonette is a small establishment located at 567 S. Livingston Avenue in Livingston. I didn't ask when they opened, but it looks like they have been around for a long time. Long counter with old style stools that come up from the ground. They serve breakfast and lunch. Lunch items include hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, salads, fish, chicken or shrimp platters, club sandwiches, and hot sandwiches from the grill including reubens and cheesesteaks. I came for the hot dog.

They just started using the 5 to a lb Best's natural casing dog that was famous at Syd's. In fact, on the chalkboard menu, it's listed as the Syd's dog and goes for $3.25, same as Syd's prior to moving out of their old location. Here you have a choice of your dog being either deep fried or grilled. I chose grilled. They split the dog lengthwise and put it on a griddle. For those of you that have had a hot dog at 5 Guys, this is the way that they are prepared there, only they use a Hebrew National skinless frank.

My dog was served with a pickle slice. They asked what I wanted on it, and I chose mustard, which is Guldens brown out of a plastic jar. They also offer sauerkraut. I didn't ask about other choices. The dog was excellent as I expected. The griddle imparts a different texture and slightly different flavor to the dog. It had a nice little crusty char due to being sliced open and grilled on both sides. A little bit of grease from the griddle. Some may prefer this method of preparation to boiling, deep frying, or char grilling. Depends on your taste. I would have had one deep fried as well, but I had other places to go. Best's makes my favorite beef dog and I especially like the size of the long 5 to a lb (Syd's) dog. I loved it at Syd's, I love it at Jimmy Buff''s, and I love it at Seymours. I think most of the time I prefer this dog on a grill rather than griddle. But the griddle is a great option and change of pace. Best dogs taste great any way they're prepared. Although they don't use the 5 to a lb dog, Jerry's Famous Frankfurters in Elizabeth uses the Best 8 to a lb natural casing frank and prepares it a unique way. Boiled then left in a steel compartment (like a griddle) for a few minutes to add a little crunch.

All of these places serve my favorite beef dog, but in a slightly different way. All are worth trying. I'm glad I found Seymour's.
ScreenBear
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/02 20:25:49 (permalink)
Another place to get a Best's 5. Hope springs eternal. If they make a good slaw as a side dish, life will again be worth living.
The Bear
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/03 08:09:16 (permalink)
They do have cole slaw on the menu. I should have tried it.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/03 12:24:01 (permalink)
Thanks for yet another tip John. It's only January 3rd and already I have 3 Hot Dog Places on my 2008 To Do List:

The new Amazing in Bound Brook
The Hot Dog Caboose in Midland Park (reviewed a few weeks ago in the Star Ledger)

And now Seymours. Never heard of that one, Thanks. There aren't many old interesting places in Livingston. The only other one I can think of is The Landmark Tavern, 259 W. Mt. Pleasant Ave. An old bar with good pizza and burgers (I don't recall if they have Hot Dogs but probably so) which looks like it belongs in the backwoods of Pennsylvania rather than in upscale suburban Livingston. ---Ken
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/03 22:19:19 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Great report John !!
I recently tried the slaw dog at Johnny and Hanges .
Fantastic !!

Is Seymours within reach of our other locations on the Jersey Tour .?
Looks like we have some exciting new ideas for stops in Sept. !!

Benzee
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/04 17:01:29 (permalink)
I went to Amazing Hot Dogs in Bound Brook again yesterday and had the dog with bacon and baked beans. That is a definite favorite and i had a plain dog w/ half mustard. I had to copy John Fox and see what it tasted like plain. It was very good by itself.

Today for lunch 5 of my co workers including my 2 direct bosses went to Boulevard drinks in Jersey City for some hot dogs. I had 5 w/ mustard and relish and could have probably fit another 2-3 dogs. They were good and the buns were fresh. I think our bill was over 60.00. I think it took us longer to park than it did to wolf them down! I had never been there so it was a good experience.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/04 17:08:08 (permalink)
I went to Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook again yesterday as well and had the Hotburger/Ham Dog with chili and cheese whiz in the middle. It was interesting but quite tasty, although the chili seemed to have been on the heat for a little too long and was thicker than i remembered. Not a big deal because it was still good.

Dave
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/05 17:01:45 (permalink)
Wow !!!!
Simply Amazing !!
Gonna have to get over to the new location in Bound Brook one of these days .
Whats the best directions coming from the north ,say GSP or Rt. 287 ??
Thanks guys

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/05 19:22:23 (permalink)
Benzee,
287 South to exit 13, Route 28 (I believe going south there's only one exit, no A and B). Make a left at the light onto Route 28 East and Amazing Hot Dog is up ahead on the right. The parking lot comes first and you'll see a 7-Eleven in the same parking lot. There's also a Burger King across the street as another landmark. If I'm wrong about any of this someone correct me.

Dave
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/07 20:08:27 (permalink)
Today I went to Sal's Dog House in Clark. It's in the same town I work in, so I've been there quite a few times. The dogs are dirty water Sabrett's with a natural casing. Easily one of the better Sabrett dirty water dogs. They are always fresh and delicious, with a great snap. And they are always served at the perfect temperature. I should have asked if he has some kind of thermostat or device that keeps the water at a constant temperature. The only thing I wish was different about Sal's dogs are their size. I prefer a dog bigger than 12 to a lb. But they are tasty, so I just get more of them. Their chili is very spicy. I had 3 dogs; 2 with just mustard and one with mustard and chili. The chili tasted so much like Father & Son's that I had to ask Sal if he got it from there.

Turns out that he did. I had mentioned in my review of the summer of 2006 (Munchmobile) that the first time I went and got a chili dog, it was awful. I vowed never to have another dog from Sal's with chili. One day someone gave me a dog from there that had chili on it. I was happy to discover that the chili was different and better. It was Father & Son's. Sal says he believes it is the best chili around and it is so much easier for him to buy it rather than making his own. He was given a recipe from somewhere and told me that most chilis made at hot dog restaurants have a long list of ingredients that have to be added at the precise time. It's too much of a hassle according to him.

Steve's Hot Dog Wagon on Elizabeth Ave. in Linden also uses chili from Father & Son.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/07 20:32:15 (permalink)
where is this Sal's which you speak of John Fox, as Clark is right near my home!!!
thediningroom
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/07 20:59:14 (permalink)
60 dollars for 5 hotdogs? hope you had a lot of brewskis with that
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

I went to Amazing Hot Dogs in Bound Brook again yesterday and had the dog with bacon and baked beans. That is a definite favorite and i had a plain dog w/ half mustard. I had to copy John Fox and see what it tasted like plain. It was very good by itself.

Today for lunch 5 of my co workers including my 2 direct bosses went to Boulevard drinks in Jersey City for some hot dogs. I had 5 w/ mustard and relish and could have probably fit another 2-3 dogs. They were good and the buns were fresh. I think our bill was over 60.00. I think it took us longer to park than it did to wolf them down! I had never been there so it was a good experience.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/08 06:14:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

where is this Sal's which you speak of John Fox, as Clark is right near my home!!!

Sal's is located on Broadway in the VFW parking lot. Sal had a lot of trouble from the town getting licences and everything he needed to get started including a location. Since he is a veteran, the VFW let him use their lot. Plenty of parking and Broadway runs parallel to Westfield Ave. He is open before 11 and stays till about 3:30 or so. He is not always there, but you should catch him most of the time.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/08 12:02:19 (permalink)
<<Today I went to Sal's Dog House in Clark>>.

Yet another hot dog place I have now added to my 2008 to do list, that makes 4 already. John, please slow down...I can't keep up.

I like the fact that Sal seems to be willing to admit that he can buy Chili better than he can make it. A common thread with a lot of these New Jersey Hot Dog Cart guys is that they are always telling the customer that they have the best Chili, the best dogs, etc etc. The guy on South Ave in Scotch Plains is particlarly annoying, to the point that I don't go there anymore. His dogs and Chili aren't that great anyway. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/08 14:02:50 (permalink)
Ken,

I was at that place recently on South Ave. I was on my way to John's Meat Market to get some of the Kocher's franks they carry, when I passed by a guy wearing a chef's hat selling hot dogs. I stopped for one and agree that it was mediocre. I just had one with mustard. Warm, not hot, and skinless. Big difference between his dogs and Sal's.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/08 19:26:19 (permalink)
John and Ken,
I agree about the mediocre dogs from the guy in the chefs hat. I posted a page or 2 back about the experience there, I wasn't impressed.

Dave
foobuc
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/08 21:58:31 (permalink)
all these places that are open during the day right by my house i can never get to because i leave the house at 730-745am and don't get home until after 6Pm sometimes later. I may not ever get to try Sal's unless i go during one of my vacation weeks.

To thedining room: that was the bill for all of our dogs not just my 5.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/09 05:03:51 (permalink)
Rut's hut was on the travel channel's hot dog show last night.It's a repeat...but you get to enjoy all those dog places again!! Anyone know what's in their secret sauce?
leethebard
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/09 06:08:10 (permalink)
Mustard, carrots, cabbage, onions, at least.
mikez629
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/15 14:11:40 (permalink)
Hiram's in Ft. Lee-good chili cheese dogs/good cheese fries-wash it down with cold birch beer from a tap.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/15 15:55:34 (permalink)
Big Mama's Dog Pond, Milford, NJ

I was coming back from getting my fix at the Caramel Corn Shop http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=3038 in Easton, PA on Saturday and I stopped in Milford for a hot dog.

I had the boiled dog with onion sauce. This was a Hatfield kosher dog that was probably an 8 to 1. It had a nice snap and was served in a soft commercial roll. I enjoyed the spices that are used for this dog.

What made this a great dog was the home made onion sauce. This is made by softening onions and slowly cooking them in a BBQ type of sauce. It was an excellent condiment for this dog. The onions are neither firm nor falling apart. They have just enough structure to give a hint of a crunch that compliments the snap of the dog as you bite into it.

I found this to be an excellent dog and would recommend this place to anyone traveling in the area. It is just about 15 minutes south of Charlie's Pool Room and the drive takes you right along the bank of the Delaware River.

Mama's has an extensive menu that I anticipate sampling on future visits. As I was talking to the owner she said she was doing some research that day. She was trying to create a spring roll dog. She described it as a hot dog wrapped and prepared like a spring roll with Chinese style vegetables and flavorings. Sounds interesting to me.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/01/15 20:59:22 (permalink)
The wife was out at a work function which left me on my own for dinner so I stopped at Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook on my way home. I tried the "My Shimeero" dog, the one that has their 1/4 pound bacon wrapped dog with cream cheese and scallions. It was an interesting combination. I like all of those items separately, but I'm not a fan of them together. I also had an order of their fries which were really good, nice and crispy.

Dave
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 23 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1