New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 34, messages 1381 to 1440 of 1989
Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9544
  • Reward points : 0
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 08/9/10 1:17 PM
ken8038

Thanks David. So, if I buy a package at retail (see code 410 on the link) are they also gas flushed? The list seems to say that "retail" is different from "gas flushed". Maybe I'm just too analytical. I've been accused of that.

Gas Flushed Packaging and Vacuum Packaging are two different animals. Vacuum Packaging removes all the air in the package. Gas Flushed packaging replaces the air with an inert gas. For example, Hot Dogs are Vacuum Packed. Fresh meat, like the packs of Hamburger, (Not the Chubs) at Walmart are Gas Flushed. You can tell because the packages tend to have a little bubble to them and when you puncture the film, it will "Deflate". Hint- If the package doesn't have a bubble, the seal has been broken. don't buy that one.

John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2313
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 08/10/10 6:27 AM
Yesterday I visited 2 places that will be on the upcoming New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Papaya King, located in the Corrado Shopping Center on Getty Ave in Clifton, and the Getty Grill, which specializes in Texas Weiners, right across the street.

I enjoyed the dogs I had at both places, but wanted to comment on what great values they both are. Under Frank, the new owner of Papaya King, the dogs went from $1.99 to $1.49. And weekdays from 4-6:30, they are 99 cents. Excellent  for a very high quality natural casing all beef dog that's been prepared well on a griddle. The dogs are 10/1. Contrast this to the dirty water carts that charge $2 for a tiny 12/1 boiled dog.

At the Getty Grill they normally charge $1.69 for a Hot Texas Weiner. This is great compared to similar places. The Hot Grill is over 2 bucks now, which isn't bad, but the Getty Grill pays 60 plus cents more a lb for their Thumann's dogs.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Getty Grill, so they have been having a special. 3 Texas weiners for $3! And 3 quarter pound hamburgers for $3. This is almost unheard of. This special will go on past the Tour although the owner doesn't know how long he can sell 3 quarter pound burgers for $3, and may be ending the burger special soon.

I suggest trying either or both of these places. The Getty Grill is also open 24 hours and has a typical diner menu, but they are known for their Texas weiners. A real old time roadside hole in the wall.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 08/11/10 12:41 PM
Foodbme

big g in joisey

Looks like the famous WindMill franks made by Sabrett / Marathon, quite a few locations in NJ, they use to serve the same at Callahan's before they closed.

What makes them different?

As stated by our fellow roadfood enthusiasts this dog is at least a 1/4 lb and a 50/50  pork & beef blend, usually deep fried. The two more common way to prepare Sabretts's are to cook them on a flat grill / griddle, see Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City nj, Papaya King in NY city and Clifton nj, Grey's Papaya in NYC, or to cook them in hot water. Anyway you choose to cook them still a great tasting dog. Johnny & Hanges in Fairlawn,NJ also serve this great dog.

big g in joisey
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 08/11/10 12:51 PM
joerogo

Hey Gang, Thanks for helping me out with the info.  I tried to peel off the Foodtown label, but the label below came off with it.

They are a pork and beek mix, made special just for Windmill and they are fantastic.

Because they are sooo huge, I started them off in a pot of simmering water for about 5-7 minutes, then put then on a hot gas grill.  Once they split open, I let them grill on the split until they were blazing hot with a nice crisp skin.  I used a larger soft steak roll and topped them with mustard, onion and a little Sabrett's red onion sauce.

Big G, One guy took a bite and said, "this is the dog I usually get at Callahan's, but they closed down".  He said he liked their Italian Dog also.

joerogo, how do you think they would taste with Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and some red and green peppers.
Supersize Mealies for anyone.

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 08/11/10 2:50 PM
big g in joisey

joerogo

Hey Gang, Thanks for helping me out with the info.  I tried to peel off the Foodtown label, but the label below came off with it.

They are a pork and beek mix, made special just for Windmill and they are fantastic.

Because they are sooo huge, I started them off in a pot of simmering water for about 5-7 minutes, then put then on a hot gas grill.  Once they split open, I let them grill on the split until they were blazing hot with a nice crisp skin.  I used a larger soft steak roll and topped them with mustard, onion and a little Sabrett's red onion sauce.

Big G, One guy took a bite and said, "this is the dog I usually get at Callahan's, but they closed down".  He said he liked their Italian Dog also.

joerogo, how do you think they would taste with Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and some red and green peppers.

If I was going to "The Chair", that would be my last request!

big g in joisey
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 08/11/10 10:20 PM

That and a tray of Cebula's.

Foodbme
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 08/11/10 11:06 PM
big g in joisey

Clue us in. What'sa tray of Cebula's??

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 08/12/10 6:41 AM
Foodbme

big g in joisey

Clue us in. What'sa tray of Cebula's??

Foodbme, Check out this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=545509&high=cebula

Very unique pizza.

yuppicide
  • Total Posts : 184
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 08/13/10 11:33 PM
Two things:

1 - Thanks for the Cebula's. I'm going to make a trip out there. :) I usually make a trip once a year to Hazleton for Senape's Pitza. I buy like 20 boxes of it and bring it home. We eat 2 or 3 boxes on the way back. Best "pizza" I've ever had and I hate it warm. Got to be eaten cold. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and ask if they'll ship me some.

2 - I went to the closest Sonic near me tonight. Route 27 in hmm maybe South Brunswick or Franklin Park, NJ or something. I had to try the foot long coney. Although I feel the dog is a good value at $2.99 and I'd eat it again, it wasn't anything special. I like my dogs fried and the chili tastes kind of like a Hormel or something. I forgot to ask for onions, but that's okay.

This was my Girlfriends first experience with a Sonic. She loved that we can park in our car and not even get up.. she didn't like when she made a mess in the car though. I recommended her to get a Frito Chili Pie. She had a cali cheese burger, which she said was very good.

Dog Boss
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 08/15/10 8:50 AM
yuppicide

Two things:

1 - Thanks for the Cebula's. I'm going to make a trip out there. :) I usually make a trip once a year to Hazleton for Senape's Pitza. I buy like 20 boxes of it and bring it home. We eat 2 or 3 boxes on the way back. Best "pizza" I've ever had and I hate it warm. Got to be eaten cold. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and ask if they'll ship me some.

2 - I went to the closest Sonic near me tonight. Route 27 in hmm maybe South Brunswick or Franklin Park, NJ or something. I had to try the foot long coney. Although I feel the dog is a good value at $2.99 and I'd eat it again, it wasn't anything special. I like my dogs fried and the chili tastes kind of like a Hormel or something. I forgot to ask for onions, but that's okay.

This was my Girlfriends first experience with a Sonic. She loved that we can park in our car and not even get up.. she didn't like when she made a mess in the car though. I recommended her to get a Frito Chili Pie. She had a cali cheese burger, which she said was very good.

and soon enough, you'll have a sonic right out in front of menlo mall............. no travel needed  ,lol

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 08/15/10 8:59 AM
made a road trip out to CPR yesterday............. bought with me 3 fellows that received there first real food experience , there reaction to this fine place ,was, what i expected ........... the wife had the same on our first trip out there. one in the party stated, i really think, i'm not eating more then one hot dog................................ well, 5  Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and peppers , mealies later !!!!!!. we had a new customer !!!!!! 

other two fellows  in the party had four each................ and were sold on some of the best HOT DOGS they ever had !!!!!

Charlie' s pool room has done it again !!!!!!!!!!

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1872
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 08/15/10 6:02 PM
Ahhhhhhh Mealies

This would be my last request also !!

CPR is the best !!!

Benzee

hondoman
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 08/21/10 5:22 PM
has anyone found the windmill hotdogs for sale closer to home here in nj? used to go to callahans every sunday for many years, i miss those dogs!

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 08/22/10 9:42 AM
My local King's Supermarket sells Windmill hotdogs every Summer.

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 08/22/10 12:59 PM
Dog Boss

made a road trip out to CPR yesterday............. bought with me 3 fellows that received there first real food experience , there reaction to this fine place ,was, what i expected ........... the wife had the same on our first trip out there. one in the party stated, i really think, i'm not eating more then one hot dog................................ well, 5  Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and peppers , mealies later !!!!!!. we had a new customer !!!!!! 

other two fellows  in the party had four each................ and were sold on some of the best HOT DOGS they ever had !!!!!

Charlie' s pool room has done it again !!!!!!!!!!

update:  two of the fellows have made a return trip already, one took his girlfriend, the other stopped had 3 in, then took 12 yes  12 for the road.......

DPuro329
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 09/5/10 2:29 AM
I have the worst luck/work schedule. I always seem to be in Alpha/Phillipsburg on Mondays. :( Of course the Fencez brothers are entitled to a day off every now and then, lol.

Dave

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 09/15/10 6:11 PM
News 12 New Jersey visited Jimmy Buff's East Hanover restaurant today for a segment on their "Best Kept Secrets of NJ" show which will be aired Thur. Sept. 23rd all day long on channel 12 news. The piece will focus on Jimmy Buff's, it's history, and the upcoming New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

For some pictures, check this facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1721011054#!/pages/East-Hanover-NJ/Jimmy-Buffs/102457691340?ref=ts

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 09/15/10 7:13 PM
If your cable provider doesn't carry News 12, you can watch the piece on their website.
http://www.news12.com/index.jsp?regionId=2
Scroll down to "watch live."

acoustic blues
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 09/20/10 2:59 PM
Well, my wife and I made our annual mid September trip from NEPA to Corrados in Clifton NJ for our grapes for this year's wine making. We always take in a Jersey dog or two while we're there. This year we opted for Getty Grill right across the street.
I ordered 2 Texas Wieners all the way with fries and my wife ordered 1 all the way and also a chicken gyro with fries. We both agreed the chili sauce was exceptional with a nice spiciness and the dogs were tasty. The buns however, were a disappointment being that they were a bit stale. Surprising, given it was Saturday right around lunchtime.
My wife's chicken gyro was also disappointing and yes I know you don't normally order chicken in a gyro, but she prefers chicken.
The fries were run of the mill, nothing special but not bad either. Just like fries you get at a million other places.
I'd rate  Getty grill a 6 out of 10 overall and a 7 out of 10 on the wieners because of the stale buns. If not for that, I'd give them a 10 on the dogs.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 09/20/10 5:43 PM
Have you had a hot dog at Papaya King right in the Corrado's shopping center?

acoustic blues
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 09/20/10 6:31 PM
John, yes, I've had the dogs at Papaya's at Corrados. It was last year so I can't comment much other than I do remember it was very good.

Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 09/20/10 10:10 PM
Hello Hot Dog Fans
We do have a few seats left for the Hot Dg Tour this Sat sept 25th
Go to meets and greets page , hot dog tour for more info
Or PM myself or John fox on here
Thanks Benzee

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 09/23/10 12:16 PM
the family and i , were really digging HOFFMANS RED HOT'S  , were grilling and frying them .............. buying 5 lbs at a time from our local wegman's food store , found in there deli section !!!!!! the boy, who is 12 yr's  old , say's there is favorite hot dog.............. #1 hoffmans  #2 shickhaus  #3 thumanns #4 sabrett  #5 for him is a local 100% sirloin dog we get......................

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 09/23/10 12:25 PM
You can get Hofmann's Red Hots loose at Wegmans in Woodbridge, or get a big bag like you do. They no longer sell Thumann's loose. Although I prefer Thumann's, the guy behind the counter told me that Hofmann's outsells them 2 to 1. Where do you get the sirloin dog?

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 09/23/10 1:41 PM
Where do you get the sirloin dog?    European provisions  on old bridge pkwy, ( south river / east brunswick ) .

thumanns and shickhaus  both can be found at woodbridge shop rite .................

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 09/23/10 5:48 PM
The piece which aired on News 12 New Jersey.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=1519679005275

I spoke in depth about the Tour and all the work Benzee does. Unfortunately that wasn't included. I'm glad they did a piece on Jimmy Buff's and mentioned the Tour.

I did a dry run yesterday and spoke with the owners of the places we will be visiting. Everything is set. One place, The Garage in Millburn, is very close to where the legendary Syd's used to be. They get a lot of Syd's old customers. Syd's opened in 1941 in Newark and had many owners. In 1967 Syd's moved to the Millburn Mall in Union and remained there until they closed for good 2 or 3 years ago. Lenny and Betty Weiss owned Syd's longer than anyone; from 1967 to 1996. They will be at the Garage to say hello to us Saturday.

johnlockedema
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 09/24/10 3:11 PM
Is there a ballpark time you expect to arrive at The Garage?  MillburnPatch wants to cover the event and would like to know roughly when the buses arrive.

Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 09/24/10 4:49 PM
Hello John ,
I would say around 1 or 2 it is the second stop on the tour
Double check with John Fox
Benzee

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Fri, 09/24/10 5:59 PM
Hard to say. Depends on when we leave the Rahway Grill. I'd say between 1:30 and 2 PM. I will be calling the Garage when we are on the way.

johnlockedema
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 09/26/10 9:34 AM
Props to John and Benzee, it was a great day!

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/6/10 3:16 PM
Today I went to a small restaurant called Philly Cheesesteak Factory. It's located on Main St. in Matawan. I had heard that they serve a Vienna Beef hot dog so off I went. They specialize in cheesesteaks but also emphasize gourmet burgers and hot dogs. http://phillycheesesteakfactoryusa.com/

Although their menu pushes combos, you can get a plain dog 1/4 lb $2.95 (menu mistakenly says $3.95), 1/2 lb $6.95. For $3 extra you get fries and rings. Fries, rings and bottled water for the 1/2 lb combo..

I just ordered a 1/4 lb dog plain (there was brown mustard at the table). It was boiled, but they fry it for certain combinations (Italian dog) and will prepare it on a griddle if you request it.

My dog was served to me on an Ameroso roll that was the right size for this dog. Unfortunately that was the best thing about the dog. The actual frank was gray in color and was nowhere near 1/4 lb. The young kid who served me said that the color was normal. I've had Vienna Beef franks before and I can tell you the color is not normal. Surprisingly the dog tasted ok and was hot enough. But the color was disturbing and indicates bad handling (in the water too long) or that the dog was old.

I met the owner while I was leaving and asked about the size of the dogs. He didn't really know too much saying that the 1/2 pound dog was 4 to a lb and that the1/4 lb dog is 8 to a lb. I had to explain to him that this is impossible. Quarter pound means 1/4 or 4 to a lb!

This dog would taste better fresh and handled properly. As it was, it still tasted pretty good. But beware. The dog advertised as 4 to a lb is much smaller. I wouldn't say 8/1, but closer to 6/1.  Not recommended.

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/6/10 6:04 PM
Hey John, Maybe that was the new math thing again.........

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/6/10 6:33 PM
Well, at least he didn't say the dogs were made especially for him. I'm surprised there aren't more hot dog purveyors going into politics.
The Bear

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 6:33 AM
Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs opened a new location on Route 22 in Union in front of Home Depot and next to Applebees. Yesterday was their first day. It was a soft opening and I was the only customer at about 1:30. Jimmy the owner was there along with 2 employees. I ordered a double to go. Now I know it was the first day, but in all honesty, it had to be the worst Italian Hot Dog I ever got from Charlies and one of the worst I ever had anywhere. The bread was stale, flavorless, and fell apart. The sandwich was barely warm when I got it home which was a first. I've left my sandwich on the counter for a half hour in the past and it was still piping hot. I opened my sandwich five minutes later when I got home. The potatoes were hard and also had no flavor. Some of them were overdone and had the consistency of potato chips. Although I was hungry I only ate about half of my sandwich and threw the rest out. Had I eaten there I would have asked for my money back or another sandwich. It was that bad. Unfortunately there was a street fair on the Boulevard in Kenilworth and I didn't feel like taking Route 22 and making a U turn to go back.

The experience reminded me of why I stopped going to Charlies a few years ago when they went downhill. I went back when they got a new owner. Sometimes I got a very good sandwich, but overall they are inconsistent, even when the owner is there making the sandwiches.

As for the hot dogs used, they are skinless, not natural casing as was mentioned on Food Wars. I don't know why they would misrepresent their product. The owner confirmed they are skinless when I asked, but didn't seem to want to talk about it beyond that.

Charlies has made good sandwiches when I've gone. Problem is they are inconsistent and you don't know what you will get. That's unfortunate because I live a little over 2 miles away and while I prefer Jimmy Buff's, Charlies is convenient when I decide on the spur of the moment to have an Italian Hot Dog and don't feel like driving to Buff's. Well, now I'll just go to Buff's and take the extra time and treat myself. Their sandwich is not only better, but consistent. I always know I'll get a great sandwich there. Tuesdays doubles are half price. At Jimmy Buff's they appreciate your business. Charlies owner doesn't seem to. He knows I like Jimmy Buff's, but I would think he would welcome my business. Especially when I got food for myself, wife, and son recently. Instead he accused me of spying on his place for Jimmy Buff's. Now he has one less customer. And if he doesn't make an effort to improve his consistency, he'll have a lot less customers. Many people stop in for the first time and if they have a sandwich like I had yesterday, they will be reluctant to return.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 9:13 AM
John, as usual, thanks for doing the work for the rest of us NJ people. I had passed there and wondered about it. No need for me to waste my time and money now. And I haven't been to the one in Kenilworth for several years, ever since I had a similar experience there.

As for me, locally I still prefer the Italian Hot Dog at Mijo's in Colonia which you discovered and reviewed a few years ago, even though they use a hoagie roll for the bread.
Thanks again.
PS: Re your 10/6 review of the Cheesesteak Factory in Matawan, I was there a few months ago and had the cheeseteak. Was OK but not great. And kind of small for the price.

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 4:12 PM
John Fox

Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs opened a new location on Route 22 in Union in front of Home Depot and next to Applebees. Yesterday was their first day. It was a soft opening and I was the only customer at about 1:30. Jimmy the owner was there along with 2 employees. I ordered a double to go. Now I know it was the first day, but in all honesty, it had to be the worst Italian Hot Dog I ever got from Charlies and one of the worst I ever had anywhere. The bread was stale, flavorless, and fell apart. The sandwich was barely warm when I got it home which was a first. I've left my sandwich on the counter for a half hour in the past and it was still piping hot. I opened my sandwich five minutes later when I got home. The potatoes were hard and also had no flavor. Some of them were overdone and had the consistency of potato chips. Although I was hungry I only ate about half of my sandwich and threw the rest out. Had I eaten there I would have asked for my money back or another sandwich. It was that bad. Unfortunately there was a street fair on the Boulevard in Kenilworth and I didn't feel like taking Route 22 and making a U turn to go back.

The experience reminded me of why I stopped going to Charlies a few years ago when they went downhill. I went back when they got a new owner. Sometimes I got a very good sandwich, but overall they are inconsistent, even when the owner is there making the sandwiches.

As for the hot dogs used, they are skinless, not natural casing as was mentioned on Food Wars. I don't know why they would misrepresent their product. The owner confirmed they are skinless when I asked, but didn't seem to want to talk about it beyond that.

Charlies has made good sandwiches when I've gone. Problem is they are inconsistent and you don't know what you will get. That's unfortunate because I live a little over 2 miles away and while I prefer Jimmy Buff's, Charlies is convenient when I decide on the spur of the moment to have an Italian Hot Dog and don't feel like driving to Buff's. Well, now I'll just go to Buff's and take the extra time and treat myself. Their sandwich is not only better, but consistent. I always know I'll get a great sandwich there. Tuesdays doubles are half price. At Jimmy Buff's they appreciate your business. Charlies owner doesn't seem to. He knows I like Jimmy Buff's, but I would think he would welcome my business. Especially when I got food for myself, wife, and son recently. Instead he accused me of spying on his place for Jimmy Buff's. Now he has one less customer. And if he doesn't make an effort to improve his consistency, he'll have a lot less customers. Many people stop in for the first time and if they have a sandwich like I had yesterday, they will be reluctant to return.

ive been saying it for year's , the place suck's !!! since the nephew made his money , and buried the place , it's been nothing but a glimmer of hope ........................................ they re-arranged the lay out years ago .............. and that didn't help , i give it to the wife and my traveling  eating buddy............ there first impressions were " NO WAY I'M COMING BACK , I DON'T WANT IT NOW "  but they tried it anyway, and rode me ever since...........................

hey john, second note , watching that new series on hbo about atlantic city , they did a scene in a kitchen , in the middle of the dinner table  was a round bread................................. lol  . breaking bread !!!! 
<message edited by Dog Boss on Tue, 10/26/10 1:28 PM>

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 4:39 PM
i'm sorry , john fox............................ your quest for the perfect italian hot dog is going to be your hot dog down fall .......... i'm going to tell you like it is......... simply because i like you !!!! ......... your hot dog knowledge is second to none ( maybe chicago has some on ya) ...... but your pursuit is wrecking  your creditability .......... forget your love of THE ITALIAN HOT DOG !!!! it's not out  there ......... simple, over and over it's about being simple , not about being complex , it's all about consistency !!!!!  these places  jimmy buff's included don't really care, there running on there name and name only ................ my trip's have been average at best ................ the old day's r gone, people have changed there eating habit's , people r not eating at charlies , jimmy bufff's and others like they have done in the past.  tv has helped some new customers arrive at these places ............ but after the tv cameras shut off , it's the same old game ............ guy's ddd ,man vs food and  food war's have helped some places boom, but others have continued to falter and go out of business ...................... i know theres plenty of haters out there , rutt's hut , do's one thing , deep fry ........ nothing more nothing less ............ they move dog's .......... ghi same way hot dog on a grill and they move dog's ,  max's , dog's on the grill , and they move dog's , the old mr. dee's steam / boiled  hot dog's  they moved dog's ............... Italian hot dog's , pizza bread , onion's peppers  and potatoes .......... not a mover !!! simple , if  it was a mover , they would be doing sausage in the same volume. it's a tough gig to stay on top.... sub shop's that move sandwiches  have no problem with bread , it's all about movement , consistency and pride of staying on top  ............. these niche places , need a little more draw with other product's .......... they have to draw numbers ,  not drawing numbers with a one horse show !!!!  

i'm going to say, i don't think your a spy for jimmy buff's , your just trying to find your Happy Dog !!!!!!!! i'm searching for the same, but i'm getting tired of beating a dead horse ........... and the places that are out here at the moment are dead horse's  !!!!!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 5:00 PM

i'm not sure what you just said, but it should have been read by Marlon Brando.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 10/25/10 7:05 PM
Dog Boss

i'm sorry , john fox............................ your quest for the perfect italian hot dog is going to be your hot dog down fall .......... i'm going to tell you like it is......... simply because i like you !!!! ......... your hot dog knowledge is second to none ( maybe chicago has some on ya) ...... but your pursuit is wrecking  your creditability .......... forget your love of THE ITALIAN HOT DOG !!!! it's not out  there ......... simple, over and over it's about being simple , not about being complex , it's all about consistency !!!!!  these places  jimmy buff's included don't really care, there running on there name and name only ................ my trip's have been average at best ................ the old day's r gone, people have changed there eating habit's , people r not eating at charlies , jimmy bufff's and others like they have done in the past.  tv has helped some new customers arrive at these places ............ but after the tv cameras shut off , it's the same old game ............ guy's ddd ,man vs food and  food war's have helped some places boom, but others have continued to falter and go out of business ...................... i know theres plenty of haters out there , rutt's hut , do's one thing , deep fry ........ nothing more nothing less ............ they move dog's .......... ghi same way hot dog on a grill and they move dog's ,  max's , dog's on the grill , and they move dog's , the old mr. dee's steam / boiled  hot dog's  they moved dog's ............... Italian hot dog's , pizza bread , onion's peppers  and potatoes .......... not a mover !!! simple , if  it was a mover , they would be doing sausage in the same volume. it's a tough gig to stay on top.... sub shop's that move sandwiches  have no problem with bread , it's all about movement , consistency and pride of staying on top  ............. these niche places , need a little more draw with other product's .......... they have to draw numbers ,  not drawing numbers with a one horse show !!!!  

i'm going to say, i don't think your a spy for jimmy buff's , your just trying to find your Happy Dog !!!!!!!! i'm searching for the same, but i'm getting tired of beating a dead horse ........... and the places that are out here at the moment are dead horse's  !!!!!

I'm not searching for anything. I'll try new places but I know what I like. And I like a variety of different hot dogs; dirty water, deep fried, grilled all beef, grilled beef/pork, Texas Weiner, Italian stytle; I like them all. The Italian Hot Dog I consider more of a sandwich and a meal. Jimmy Buff's has been going strong for 80 + years so someone likes them. Dickie Dees for over 50 years. I love Italian Hot Dogs and will eat them as long as they are being made. If that stops, I'll make them myself. I don't really care about other's eating habits or the current trends. I eat what I like. And Jim at Jimmy Buff's does care. He visits these forums and is looking for feedback. He often says "If you don't like my food, tell me. If you do, tell others for it's my only source of advertising".

By the way, Goombas Pizzeria, a place you mentioned that you like, no longer serves their Italian Hot Dogs on pizza bread.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 10/26/10 10:43 AM
A show stopper for me is stale bread. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 10/26/10 1:34 PM
yes, you had mentioned about goomba's in the past, that was  good for you, since it was in your neighborhood  ....... shame they had something, but volume speaks for it's self.......... to much waste , dictates on what there selling..............

if you would , list the bakery's in nj/ny selling  the pizza bread .  i'm working on a idea for the pizza bread , doing something besides italian hot dog's !!!!

i'm telling you  about a  trend, i'm telling you that these place's r not doing volume to maintain freshness as they did year's ago......................  peppers , onions and potatoes ............. were else is it's use ? sausage ? ............ then you paying $5.00 buck's and up .......... for ????

i was in a place a few weeks ago , watched the construction of the italian hot dog ................ a bag of frozen peppers , onions and potatoes hit the grill with oil .......... watched in total dis belief ............dog's  into the deep frier ........assembled and served ............. watch the fellows eating there italian hot dog's ............... allowing any and all to hit the plate , pull the bread apart ......... looks on there face's were priceless (for me) , but becomes no more customer for the store ............................. lost customer's simply for selling something that you do not sell in volume !!!!!!!!!!!!! there's your word's of advertising ........ just believe the best way to enjoy this hot dog, is to find out when the bread is delivered , and enjoy with in 3 hours !!!!  i wonder really what the ratio of items sold  against the IHG............ ??????
<message edited by Dog Boss on Tue, 10/26/10 1:48 PM>

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 10/26/10 1:48 PM
There's at least one place in New York that makes pizza bread. I don't know it offhand but it's in the archives somewhere. In N.J. you have Carmen's in Union where I usually get mine, DiPaolos in Union and Newark, Sorrento's in East Hanover, America's bakery in Irvington, Columbus bakery in Newark. There are others I'm sure. There is a place in Freehold in the same strip mall as Frankly Burgers.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Tue, 10/26/10 4:59 PM
Napoli Bakery, 616 Metropolitan Ave., Brooklyn, who supplies St. Anselm in Brooklyn with  pizza bread for their haute Italian Hot Dog (i.e.: frizzled onions, pork-beef natural casing Thumann's dog, double cooked fries), makes a very good pizza bread. I'd put it up there with the superb pizza bread used at Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover, N.J.

The Bear

Applecheeks
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/27/10 3:10 PM
I couldn't figure out where to post this so I decided to put it here since this place makes a great Italian Hot Dog.
On Oct 30th the Parkview Philly Cheese Steaks on 340 Belleville Ave in Belleville NJ will be hosting a meet and greet with Former GiantsAll Pro Tackle Leonard Marshall.  He will be taking photos and signing autographs between 3 and 6pm.  So all you football buffs and Giants fans come on over.  While you are there, try one of the Cheesesteaks (beef or chicken, wit wiz, american or provolone)  None of that processed meat stuff,  The meat is the real deal.
I am not an owner or in any way connected to the store.  I am just a satisfied customer who wants to see them do well.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/27/10 3:37 PM
Hey Applecheeks, thanks!  Sounds like fun.  You mentioned that they have a great Italian Hot Dog and I was hoping you could give some details/breakdown of what they do, what makes it a great one.

Applecheeks
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/27/10 11:10 PM
My first criteria for a good Italian hot dog is that it is not a greasy mess.  This IHD is not at all greasy.  The second is the bread.  It is from DiPaola's Bakery and it is always fresh.  The bread does not fall apart before you get to the end of the sandwich.  The hot dogs are Best.  I don't know how many to the pound but they are not the skimpy ones (as a matter of fact, nothing from this place is skimpy).  The peppers and onions are cut small (again, my personal preference) and cooked on the flat top, not in the grease.  Potaoes are fresh cut every day and fried in chunks for the sandwich.  I would love to post pictures, but I am new at this and do not know how to get them from my camera to the computer.  I have to wait for my 12 year old granddaughter to have some free time to teach me how to do that.  And of course, then I will have to learn how to get them on this site.  Be patient with me.  I'm an old lady.

Applecheeks
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Wed, 10/27/10 11:12 PM
I forgot to mention, in addition to Italian Hot Dogs and Cheesesteaks, Parkside also sells Italian sausage sandwiches, subs, grilled chicken sanwiches and french fries.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 10/28/10 6:20 AM
I wish I could make it on Saturday, but I am working. Are they open Sundays?

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 10/28/10 6:20 AM
And you're not an old lady.

big g in joisey
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 10/30/10 11:36 AM
It would have been nice to include Dickie Dee's in the competition for one of the best Italian Hotdogs in Nj, being that they and Louie's(Jimmy Buffs original location) are still in Newark, the birthplace of this famous sandwich, also Tommy's in Elizabeth IMHO serves a great IHD, taking nothing away from Jimmy Buff's, the original and still one of the best, as well as Charlies Famous in Kenilworth, all five establishments make a great sandwich.

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 10/30/10 3:17 PM
i think we need a cook-off between us.............. never mind a tour...... we gather and sample our good's , us hot doggers have so much to say , let's but our chili up , our best steamed , grilled and fried dog .......... my italian against your's !!! kick it around ........... i think theres something to it , i want a hamburger , cooked by ellen !!!   open thought, open mind's !!

Applecheeks
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 10/31/10 10:15 PM
As John has said many times, our love for hot dogs is based on "personal preference".  My absolute favorite Italian Hot dog is from Lou's, which is housed in the location of the very first Jimmy Buff's on 14th Ave. and 9th St. in Newark.  I don't know if it is nostalgia, sincce this is where I had my first IHD as a kid, but Lou's IHD is my version of perfect.  Yes, I like Jimmy Buff's in Hanover and my new go to place - Parkside in Belleville.  Lou's remains tops in my book.  Unfortunatly, it is in a section of Newark that most people don't want to go to.
John, many you could put it on the tour.  Perhaps we could get a police escort for the bus.

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Mon, 11/1/10 1:10 AM
Dog Boss

i want a hamburger , cooked by ellen !!!   open thought, open mind's !!

ahhhh, thanks for the confidence !!  
I can cook up a mean charbroiled burger...!
....but I rarely get to utilize those skills back here at my condo, as the condo commanders don't let us have outdoor grills !!

You provide the space, and I'll be glad to light the charcoal, lol !

Applecheeks
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 11/4/10 4:50 PM
Can someone help with with the instructions for posting pictures?  PM me with the instructions or where I can find instructions on  this site.  Thanks a bunch.

Foodbme
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Thu, 11/4/10 5:33 PM
Applecheeks

Can someone help with with the instructions for posting pictures?  PM me with the instructions or where I can find instructions on  this site.  Thanks a bunch.

Suggest you learn to use the SEARCH function on here. There's hardly a subject that's not been covered. I searched for "Posting Photos" and got this one:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=609159&high=Posting+photos

GPags
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 11/27/10 7:14 PM
Someone pointed me to this foru because there have been various discussions and questions about George's Drive-In in Elizabeth, NJ. I know there hasn't been a post here in a while, but this info for those who might be interested.

I'm George's third son and thought I would answer some of the questions and correct some of the info I've seen posted. 

George and Jerry were not brothers. Jerry was George's brother-in-law.
Yes, the Star Ledger did visit George's and ran a nice little story. The story was accompanied by a photo which included George, his wife Barbara, Elizabeth mayor Tom Dunn, some of the workers, and George's cousin Tom (which the paper incorrectly identified as his oldest son Tom). We still give Tom and Tom grief about that today.
Yes, the chili contained no meat. We still have the recipe which was for 10 gallon increments. It is a little hard to reduce the recipe in size.
History - George had some other food businesses prior to making the jump to his push-cart on Elmora Avenue in 1959(?). The building was completed in 1960 and he got to move indoors. In addition to the hot dogs, hamburgers and other fast food, he also started making home made ice cream. My memory is not too great in that area but as I recall we had about 15 flavors, but not necessarily al at the same time. Little known fact about the ice cream business - our most consistent daily customer was Walter the german shepard. He was a watch dog at one of the businesses across the street. Every day he would come across the street carrying a $1 bill. We would make him a large cup of vanilla soft serve ice cream and bring it out back for him. Boy, did that dog like ice cream.
George passed in 1966. After his death the business was run by his wife Barbara and his sons. Several years later the business was sold to two other Greeks, Luke and George. After a short time Luke bought George out and stayed with the business until it closed and he retired several years ago.

Dog Boss
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sat, 11/27/10 8:32 PM
ok............ i have to say........ after much , and much more testing dog's , with their  add on's ........... no way, do's chili belong on a pork/beef dog........... it's a kraut ,mustard relish condiment dog.  chili is for only 100% beef dog......... i've said it , i'm done with it............... get over it , cause my decision is final !!! 

i'm going to separate the why you think about your hot dog!!!!
Happy Holiday's to all , be safe ,be merry, be healthy  ................ Happy Holiday Eating !!!!!!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 11/28/10 9:42 AM
GPags

Someone pointed me to this foru because there have been various discussions and questions about George's Drive-In in Elizabeth, NJ. I know there hasn't been a post here in a while, but this info for those who might be interested.

I'm George's third son and thought I would answer some of the questions and correct some of the info I've seen posted. 

George and Jerry were not brothers. Jerry was George's brother-in-law.
Yes, the Star Ledger did visit George's and ran a nice little story. The story was accompanied by a photo which included George, his wife Barbara, Elizabeth mayor Tom Dunn, some of the workers, and George's cousin Tom (which the paper incorrectly identified as his oldest son Tom). We still give Tom and Tom grief about that today.
Yes, the chili contained no meat. We still have the recipe which was for 10 gallon increments. It is a little hard to reduce the recipe in size.
History - George had some other food businesses prior to making the jump to his push-cart on Elmora Avenue in 1959(?). The building was completed in 1960 and he got to move indoors. In addition to the hot dogs, hamburgers and other fast food, he also started making home made ice cream. My memory is not too great in that area but as I recall we had about 15 flavors, but not necessarily al at the same time. Little known fact about the ice cream business - our most consistent daily customer was Walter the german shepard. He was a watch dog at one of the businesses across the street. Every day he would come across the street carrying a $1 bill. We would make him a large cup of vanilla soft serve ice cream and bring it out back for him. Boy, did that dog like ice cream.
George passed in 1966. After his death the business was run by his wife Barbara and his sons. Several years later the business was sold to two other Greeks, Luke and George. After a short time Luke bought George out and stayed with the business until it closed and he retired several years ago.

GPags,

Thanks for your post. I was able to enjoy your family's hot dogs a few times before the place closed. I have a question for you. I know the hot dogs used were Best's natural casing all beef. But before I began going, a brand called Always Tasty was served. Can you give me any info about this brand? I've heard it was very good with some calling it the finest beef dog in the area. How did it's flavor profile compare to Best? Did you have a preference?

GPags
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 11/28/10 12:08 PM
John,

I had to check with my brother on this one. We used Always Tasty, 9 to the pound. They were out of Newark. We never changed the brand the entire time we had the store. Jerry also used the same brand.

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs - Sun, 11/28/10 12:12 PM
Jerry's and Tommy's down the street also used this brand. By the time I went to George's they were using Best because Always Tasty was no longer available. But the sign was still on the wall.

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 34, messages 1381 to 1440 of 1989