The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 67, messages 691 to 720 of 1989
John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/20/08 9:12 AM (permalink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87T10UOYtoI&feature=related

The above is a 3 minute segment that was aired on the Travel Channel's Hot Dog Heavens. A pretty good piece on Rutt's Hut. Despite what the narrator says, the dogs are fried in beef tallow, not vegetable oil.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/20/08 10:20 AM (permalink)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuymRx8PyVQ

A short video someone made of Syd's. Wish it was still here.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6079
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/20/08 10:31 AM (permalink)
      Fried hotdogs are so good! I never could see why the idea didn't spread. Any other places fry?
      leethebard

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/20/08 10:39 AM (permalink)
        leethebard,

There are a ton of places in Jersey (mostly in the north) that deep fry their hot dogs. Most are pork/beef and use the Thumann's dog for deep frying. Examples are Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, Goffle Grill, Libby's, Johnny & Hanges, Hot Dog Heaven, Falls View, and others. Callahan's (one location left) and Hot Grill use the Sabrett beef and pork dog. All of the Italian Hot Dog joints deep fry or sautee all beef dogs. One place that deep fries a regular beef dog is Amazing Hot Dog.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6079
          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/20/08 10:48 AM (permalink)
          Thanks,John,
          I'm on my way..first I come across,I'm in!

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/21/08 5:21 PM (permalink)
            I made the journey to Amazing dogs in Verona. I took my wife/and kid. I love this place. It is different than any other hotdog out there. I had the dog wrapped in bacon with wiz.-big/juicy and on a potatoe roll-nice treat. My wife had dog with grilled onions/and cheese (american)-the onions were so sweet and good. My son had kids meal-cut up pieces of hot dog deep fried so it was krispy. He was getting mad because I kept eating his. I will definatly go back again. There are many other dogs to try. I have already starting spreading the news at work.

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
              RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/22/08 5:49 PM (permalink)
              John,
              Any word when the Travel Channel show featuring you and Jimmy Buff's will air?

Dave

Akavar

• Total Posts: 361
                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/22/08 8:14 PM (permalink)
                The last time I talked to the producer she said it would be mid February. I have not seen it yet on the Travel Channel website.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/23/08 8:09 AM (permalink)
                  I was looking at the listings for the Travel Channel. Sometime towards the end of the month they will be running Pizza Paradises. So the Hot Dog Paradise show may be run even later.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/28/08 6:11 PM (permalink)
                    Hey John, thanks for the tip on Sal's Truck in Clark. Got there today, the dogs were just as you described, small but properly cooked, with Father & Son Chili. I had 3 (one with Chili Cheese & onions and 2 with just Chili), and brought the same combo home for my son. Very tasty. Thanks again.

PS: In case anyone else needs to know, Sal says he's there Saturdays as well as weekdays.

foobuc

• Total Posts: 150
                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 7:18 AM (permalink)
                      i just bought my Mom an 8 or 10pk(i forget which) of Schickhaus natural casing griddle franks in the Shop Rite in Garwood. These suckers were as long as the ones served at Max's in Long Branch. They were located down the first aisle towards the back of the store near the area where the cheeses are located. In case anyone was interested...

Also, i was in a discussion last night with my friends wife who is from Hanover Pa and she says the big thing there is a chili dog w/ lines out the door. Since they live near me now, i told them to try a Plainfield Texas weiner and sent them to Texas Weiner I as i think that is the best of them imo. Anyone think i should have sent them to a different one in Plainfield area??? We'll see what they say after they go. I also told them to try Tommy's in Elizabeth for an italian hot dog as they have heard of that also.

ken8038

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
                        I think this is the place in Hanover Pa that she was talking about:

http://www.famoushotweiner.com/

I was there maybe 10 years ago and don't really remember much about it except that was a typical Pa. downtown local hot dog place. The one thing I remember was that they had a local brand of soda in glass bottles. Probably no longer.

Of the Middlesex County Texas Weiner places, I agree the Texas Weiner 1 is the best.

doughboy

• Total Posts: 8
                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 11:37 AM (permalink)
                          Johnny and Hanges in Atlantic City ?

Did it ever open? I've looked and not found.

Any news? Going there on Thursday...thanks.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 6:15 PM (permalink)
                            No doughboy , the Johnny and Hanges in Fairlawn near Rt. 4 and the GSP

Benzee

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 6:34 PM (permalink)
                              Johnny and Hanges opened a second location in Atlantic City a few years ago. I don't know how they are doing or if they are even still open.

foobuc

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 7:37 PM (permalink)
                                yes ken8038 you are correct! My buddy confirmed this in an email tonight ater i sent him the same link that i got off hotdogginthe us.com.

i was just in AC and if that Johnny & hanges is down there i wish someone would confirm as i will be at the wine show in April and i would like to try it! wine & dogs-perfect together!

foobuc

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/29/08 7:44 PM (permalink)
                                  i just did a google search and it led me back to roadfood.com and this post. i assume J & H in AC is no more:

quote:
                                  vocal
                                  Junior Burger

23 Posts
                                  Posted - 11/08/2005 : 19:28:47
                                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its closed. I drove by today to see if it was still open. No surprise there. A sub chain has taken its place and I give them about 4 months tops. I could have told the family to save their money and never open one in AC. They claimed they were a block away from the Tropicana. Try 4 blocks in not a great area way off the boardwalk. The same thing happened to Pats steaks. The only things that work in AC are salt water taffy , the White House Sub Shop, the Irish Pub and buffets. However Rutts Hut would be a welcome sight on the boardwalk. And the Planet Hollywood has been closed in Ceasars as well. No surprise there either. Maybe I should start a AC food thread anyone interested?
                                  quote:

ken8038

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 02/5/08 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                    Today for lunch I went to Seymour's Luncheonette, a discovery that Hot Dog John posted about a few pages back. It's at 567 S. Livingston Ave. in Livingston, for those who don't want to look for the orignal post.

Nice homey old school luncheonette. I was pleased to find out they have a parking lot. I got 6 "Syds" dogs to go. Ate two of them in my car. Just as John said, they are terrific, 5 to a lb. and cooked on a griddle and split lengthwise. I had one with Sauerkraut and one with just mustard. (they don't serve Chile dogs, which was no dissapointment, I think Chili would be a waste on a dog as good as this one).

I brought home two for my son, who also said they were great.

The other two I will take to work for lunch tomorrow.

6 dogs came to $20.87 with tax, a little steep, but hey, it's a Syd's Dog and there's none better.

John, thanks again for the tip, keep us posted on any new finds, I'm almost caught up. ---Ken

mikez629

• Total Posts: 307
                                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 02/5/08 5:07 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by leethebard

Does anyone know how the 5 Guys in Brick is? Never have been to that chain???Do they have hot dogs??How good???

There hotdogs are very good-split down the middle a griddle grilled-with cheese and bacon-its nice to get a hot dog that is not deep fried sometimes-nice alternative-good tasting dog

ken8038

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 02/12/08 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                        I took the day off yesterday to drive my daughter back to school, which gave my daughter an extra day home this weekend. My son was home too so the three of us took the ride. On the way we stopped at the Hot Dog Caboose in Midland Park which got a favorable write up in the Star Ledger a while back.

Be warned this is a "stand outisde and wait for your food" type place, not recommended on a 13 degree day like yesterday. Fortunately we were the only customers at about 12 noon, so the wait was short. There are a few picnic tables around, but yesterday was definitely a day to eat in the car. Oh, and no bathroom of any type. So much for having made 2 other food stops on the way there (Corrado's and Basse Nuts) without using any facilities.

My son and I each had 2 chili dogs and pronounced them excellent. I added a cup of terrific Cheddar Cheese soup, which just seemed right on a day like yesterday. The dogs were dirty water Sabretts, with very good Chili. The Chili was thier own, and very flavorful without being too sweet or spicy. My daughter, who is a vegetarian this week, (and I think last week too and also for about a month in 1994) had the vegetarian Chili and said it was pretty good, which is about a complimentary as she gets when it's not her own cooking.

Here's a link to the website. Highly recommended, especially when it gets a little warmer:

http://www.hotdogcaboose.com/index.htm

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/14/08 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                          Hi all,
                                          I've noticed that a place called New England Hot Dog Co. has finally opened on Route 9 North in Freehold. I have yet to check it out myself, has anyone else gone? It's in a large strip mall South of the Raceway Mall, but on the Northbound side. The website is www.nehotdog.com . I've been waiting for months for it to open and I think I'll try to get there in the next week or so and will post when I do.

Dave

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/15/08 12:57 AM (permalink)
                                            does anyone rememeber haydus hot dogs?they used tobe a jersey staple,but I think they are gone now. I used to know some of the haydu family in livingston

also enjoyed the note about seymours in livingston...used to go there as a kid on the way home from school for a soda- I remember well it cost 10 cents...seymour himself was quite a guy- all the kids loved him

foobuc

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 02/17/08 8:12 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by DPuro329

Hi all,
                                              I've noticed that a place called New England Hot Dog Co. has finally opened on Route 9 North in Freehold. I have yet to check it out myself, has anyone else gone? It's in a large strip mall South of the Raceway Mall, but on the Northbound side. The website is www.nehotdog.com . I've been waiting for months for it to open and I think I'll try to get there in the next week or so and will post when I do.

Dave

I saw the paper finally off the windows a few weeks back. Have not been able to get there yet but i may be in the area on Wed. I may be in that area too early so i may have to wait until i wind up there at a later date. Let us know how they are if you wind up getting there!

Anne1963

• Total Posts: 10
                                                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/20/08 11:34 PM (permalink)
                                                OK, you guys are KILLING me! Where's the guy from waaaaaaaaaaay up thread who wanted to start up an Italian hot dog gig in South Florida? I have been craving my favorite childhood hot dog--from Jackie's (now closed I think) in Belleville, NJ. I would gladly patronize and "evangelize" on behalf of some enterprising Jersey boys/girls who could produce such a dog somewhere between Delray Beach and Ft. Lauderdale. (Sorry, I'm not braving traffic through Miami--not even for a fix!)

The trouble down here seems to be the bread as much as anything else. Ask any (sane) South Floridian. You CAN'T (well, you can, but you really shouldn't) drink the water down here, so how the heck can you possible make decent pizza dough (or even a bagel for that matter)with such swill? Water here is either full of sulfur or full of chlorine, or both and it's N A S T Y!!! I don't know how they purify whatever came through Essex County, NJ, but it must be the secret to the bread.

Why do I wax on not-so-poetically about the bread? That's easy. I can order Sabretts, Viennas, Schickhaus, Thuman's, Best's etc. I can even find a well-seasoned grill to cook 'em on! But what am I supposed to do with a lovely hot dog and a pile of potatoes, peppers, and onions when all they give me down here is "dead" bread????

Italian hot dog and pizza lovers (and Italians in general, for that matter)have lost hope here in South Florida. Oh sure, occassionally there will be some new place that supposedly has great pizza or Italian style (fill in the blank). Dutifully, like lemmings, we wander into these places like zombies, bereft of all hope. Once in a while we find something that is sufficient, which then becomes our place, but most of the time we take one bite and grudgingly finish something inferior. Or worse, we get some glimmer of hot dogs, pizzas, and breads past (<--I guess that's what would have happened if Dickens had written about life in Newark instead of London). We leave confused-but-hopeful only to return more alert a week or so later and find that it was nothing but an illusion.

If you build it, (and I mean the "real" it complete with appropriate supplies of purified Passaic River water to make the bread) we will come.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                                  • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/20/08 11:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  I feel your pain, Ann..

I like a nice, fresh tasty roll... not a dead , crumbly one, etc..

No more homemade pastrami and corned beef at the delis in south Florida these days, either... (it's all just store brands like Hebrew National and National)

Italian hot dogs are such a north Jersey delicacy that it's really hard for even SOUTH jersey to get it right, much less another STATE!

welcome to roadfood.com, Ann... I think you'll enjoy it here a lot..

ellen in AC area

Anne1963

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/21/08 12:08 AM (permalink)
                                                    thanks for the welcome ellen. my only problem is now i've made myself too hungry to sleep...and i'm too tired too get up for something. [|)]

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/21/08 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                                      Anne1963,

Too bad the water isn't sufficient where you are to make a good Italian Hot Dog. From taliking to various people, I've heard that water is very important; not just for pizza bread, but for cheesesteak rolls (another type of bread), beer, and even hot dogs. People in Philly claim that their cheesesteaks are so good partly because of the water. Newark, N.J. is known for their water. There are many fine bakeries in and around Newark. I've heard from at least a few of the owners that the water makes the bread good. Anheuser Busch built their second brewery in Newark because of the quality of the water. The plant manager at Best's in Newark also told me that the water is one reason why the hot dogs are so good. In fact, I even heard that one of the reasons that Hebrew National switched production of their hot dogs to a different location was because of the water.

I would suggest getting pizza bread from Jersey frozen and shipped down, but I don't think that would work. There is at least one Italian Hot Dog joint in my area that freezes unused bread and it is not good the next day. Charlies in Kenilworth did this the last few years that the previous owner was there. I stopped going. Recently the place was sold. I went twice; once the dog was good like it used to be in Charlies heyday. The other time the sandwich wasn't so good. The potatoes were bad and the bread wasn't fresh. I decided to give them another chance since they are about 2 miles from my house and when they make a good sandwich it is definitely one of the 3 best in the state along with Jimmy Buff's and Tommy's. I had a few that were very good. About a week ago I picked up one for my wife with the intention of going back later for one for myself. My wife's was so bad that she didn't eat more than a few bites. I wouldn't even eat it. I wound up getting Chinese food later because I was too lazy to travel to Buff's or Tommy's. The bread was stale and fell apart. More than likely frozen. And the potatoes were inedible. Too bad that even under new ownership, Charlies is inconsistent. I don't think I'll be going back.

Anne1963

• Location: Boca Raton, FL
                                                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/21/08 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by John Fox

Anne1963,

From taliking to various people, I've heard that water is very important; not just for pizza bread, but for cheesesteak rolls (another type of bread), beer, and even hot dogs.

Bummer about Charlie's John. What a disappointment for you and your locals. I'm glad to hear your comment about the water; it makes my emotional response to the grub down here seem to have some scientific support.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                          • Location: Westfield, NJ
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/21/08 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                                          Signman,
                                                          All signs are go, though the mode of transport apparently still resides in limbo.
                                                          There aren't any steamship routes from Galloping Hill Inn in N.J. to Katz's, to Nathan's, back to Gotham and then back to N.J., are there?
                                                          The Bear

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                                                            • Location: New York, NY
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/22/08 4:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            Anne,
                                                            There has been more information posted about Schickhaus franks in this thread than in any other place on earth. I see that Porkroll Express.com (877-979-9499) is currently selling an approx. 8 pound pack of Schickhaus griddle franks mail order in their "Boardwalk Style Frankfurters" category. They freeze really well, making a bulk purchase possible. Armour-Eckrich is the direct corporate descendent of Schickhaus after the Van Wagenen & Schickhaus > Swift > Armour-Swift-Eckrich etc. consolidations. While they are marketed by Armour-Eckrich, the ones I saw up in Connecticut (in a Shop Rite supermarket in Norwalk) the other day had the same USDA plant number as the Grote and Weigel products for sale.

Certainly try the freshly-made franks of any mom-and pop butcher shop or sausage shop near you for cost effective quality frankfurters. Hopefully you will find one you like.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..21222324252627282930.. > >> | Showing page 24 of 67, messages 691 to 720 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 5 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com