Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 69
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 08:29:06 (permalink)
This past Thursday ScreenBear and I visited Bubba's Dog House on Valley Brook Ave. in Lyndhurst. It's a fairly new place that has been open about 6 months. We had heard that they serve a Thumann's ripper, Sabrett dirty water dog, and Italian Hot Dog with Best's franks. The restaurant itself is clean, spacious, and nice looking. Behind the counter is a grill, griddle, and a deep fryer. Also a small compartment with water for the dirty water dogs.

Before ordering we asked some (actually many) questions about the hot dogs offered, brands used, how they decided upon the offerings, etc. Just as we were getting started, Sharon, the owner emerged from the back and introduced herself to us. She is a delightful woman who was very forthcoming regarding the brands of hot dog, mustard, how the chili was made, and other details about her business. Unlike others who prefer to keep what they serve a secret, Sharon prefers that customers know what they are getting. She also did a lot of research before deciding on what to offer. Some of that research was perusing forums like Roadfood to get an idea of what New Jersey Hot Dog lovers like. I can tell you that Bubba's pays great attention to detail. They care about quality and offer top quality food at a good value.

Before describing the hot dogs, let me mention that you can get a variety of burgers and chicken choices. The fries are hand cut and twice fried. Because we had 2 regular dogs and a double Italian Hot Dog, we didn't get a chance to sample the fries or burgers. Next time, maybe. We were told that the fresh ground beef that makes up the burgers is exceptionally good and that the burgers are the best that Sharon has had. She strongly recommended them. Bubba's toppings include sweet and hot onions, sauerkraut, potato, baked beans, cheese wiz, bacon bits, raw onions, mustard relish, sweet relish, hot peppers, sweet peppers, and of course, mustard. There are 2 mustards; a honey mustard for the chicken and Gold's Dusseldorf mustard for the hot dogs.

As for the hot dogs, Bubba's offers: 1) The Dirty Dog. This is a natural casing 11 to a lb Sabrett dog heated in water (not boiled) that is set to 165 degrees. While we were at the counter speaking with Sharon, I noticed a few dogs that were sitting in the water. At home I have the luxury of putting my dogs in the water and taking them out at the right time. One disadvantage of having a restaurant is not knowing exactly when someone will order a dirty water dog. They lose their flavor and snap when left too long in the water. Sharon assured us that she only has a few in the water and throws them out before letting them sit there. We did not sample one of these dogs.

2)The Ripper. This is the Thumann's dog made for deep frying that is common in North Jersey and can be found at Rutt's Hut, Hiram's, Hot Dog Heaven, Libby's, Goffle Grill, and a slew of others.

3) The Charbroil Dog. We were unaware that this dog was on the menu. It is the 5 to a lb, natural casing Best's dog, more commonly known as the Syd's dog. Great to find another place that serves this Jersey Classic. So far we have Jimmy Buff's East Hanover, Seymours, and now Bubba's.

4) The Italian Hot Dog. An authentic Newark style Italian Hot dog made with pizza bread, 2 10 to a lb Best skinless franks, peppers (green and red), onions, and potatoes cut in chunks, like Dickiee Dees.

5) Mick Married Marie. 2 Best dogs stuffed into pizza bread with potatoes, cheese wiz, and ketchup. This is the other of the five offerings that we did not sample.

I had the Ripper first. This is an easy dog to prepare and a hard one to screw up. Just heat it in oil for a sufficient amount of time. Many places that use this dog don't leave it in the oil long enough. At Rutt's, this is called an In n Outer. I prefer mine well done. Being that this was my first visit, I ordered mine well done and it came out as ordered. Customers are encouraged to watch the food being prepared and even to specify when they want the dogs plucked from the oil or to what degree they want them cooked to. Sharon has done her homework and visited many of the state's well known hot dog joints. As I mentioned, they pay great attention to detail. Sharon told me that the worse thing you can do to a hot dog is to not have it prepared hot enough. I agree. You will always get your dogs hot and fresh here. This was our experience. This (the Ripper) is one dog that I will have something other than mustard on. I had mustard on the dog and chili on half. The chili was homemade and very good. Not a Texas Weiner style chili, but a thick meaty one with a slightly spicy aftertaste. Ingredients include beef, sausage, bacon, and beer. It goes great on the Ripper. All in all an excellent dog.

Next up was the Charbroiled, or Syd's dog. This one waas prepared on a grill similar to Syd's. Sharon was familiar with how Syd's served their dogs (boiled first, then grilled) but here they are charbroiled without being placed in water. Or oil like Jimmy Buff's does it. They don't have a compartment big enough to fit these dogs in order to heat in water. I would suggest putting a pot on the griddle. My dog came out perfect. It was hot and juicy. I felt like I was back at Syd's. There is no finer dog, and I'm glad that there is now another place that serves this dog. Sharon was smart enough to realize how popular this dog was, and to offer it at her restaurant. It is her favorite as well. Also a very good value at $2.95. I had mine with just mustard. They usually put the dog on a longer roll. This is good if you are going to have chili or some other topping on your dog. I prefer the regular hot dog bun and requested this. It is a Pechters/Rockland Bakery dog.

Last was the Italian Hot Dog. The bread used came from Calandra's Bakery in Newark. I was skeptical when I heard this because the 2 times I had this bread on an Italian Hot Dog it fell apart. Not this time. It was sturdy and sufficient. The dogs were Best skinless, which in my opinion is the only choice for an Italian Hot Dog. These dogs, as well as the Rippers are fried in peanut oil. The peppers and onions are heated on the griddle, while the potato chunks are heated in the oil with the dogs. The Italian Hot Dog here was a very big, substantial sandwich at a great value. It went for $5.50. It was a solid, well prepared, better than average example of this sandwich. Although I prefer the potatoes sliced thin (like Jimmy Buff's and Tommy's), these were very good. Hot and tasty. They are boiled first and then fried.

Bubba's exceeded my expectations. Customer service is exemplary. I loved the owner's attitude and willingness to share information. I appreciate the research that she's done in an attempt to cater to the true hot dog lover. I like the attention to detail and the fact that every type of dog is prepared right, which is hard to do when you are doing more than one style. I also learned that some of their distributors allow them to have small quantities delivered frequently so that everything is fresh and doesn't stay long at the restaurant. They will visit the other manufacturer who will not ship a small quantity and buy what they need there.

I wish Sharon and Bubba's success. They are good people serving a fine product and providing excellent service. I would love to include them on the next Hot Dog Tour.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 08:38:57 (permalink)
Wow...what a comprehensive,great report. Sounds to be that I'd like the Ripper too. Love those Thumann's hot dogs!!!
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 09:33:56 (permalink)
I passed through Fort Lee in the early morning hours yesterday. Please someone tell me it ain't so but it looks like Hiram's is gone, saw a banner for some development company hanging on the front of the building.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 10:10:42 (permalink)
Superb report, John. I was looking forward to it.

Just to gild the lily a bit, let me add that if one has ever fantasized of owning a hot dog joint, Bubba’s Dog House, with its tasteful brick walls and textured woods, including schoolhouse lamps, track lighting and antique-style ceiling fans, can't help but reinvigorate that dream.

Then there's the open kitchen, an inviting symphony of stainless steel, cleanliness and order. Of course, topping it all off is that great dedication to detail and apparent sincerity. They're using three of the very best brands (Best Provisions, Sabrett and Thumann’s), tried and true choices for each style of frank being prepared. No hot dog is served before its time...they're good and hot.

What a nice place, all complemented by the hot dog-educated owner's winning attitude. While it takes years for a hot dog joint to become a Jersey classic, if ever a rookie frankfurter emporium was destined for the Garden State’s Hot Dog Hall of Fame, it’s Bubba’s. Both the casual hot dog eater and aficionado would do well to plan a pilgrimage to this latest entry in New Jersey's Great Hot Dog Sweepstakes.

Bubba’s Dog House is located at 356 Valley Brook Avenue, Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Telephone: 201-460-DOGS (3647).

The Bear
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 10:23:28 (permalink)
Well said!
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 10:26:42 (permalink)
John, thanks for the great report. I agree that Bubba's should be included in the 2008 Hot Dog Tour. Something for almost everyone, especially me and that Syd's dog.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 10:36:37 (permalink)
This just in. Relax, Eggsactley. Hiram's is still very much in business. According to someone who answered the phone there this morning, the front of the building had been hit and was repaired...the signage belonging to the contractor.

Whew, close one....one of my 5 favorite dog places in NJ...owing to their great hot chili.

The Bear
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 11:03:25 (permalink)
Thanks for the response Bear, I passed by quickly on my way into Edgewater and just caught a glimpse. Thought someone might be putting up another chain drug store on the corner. Anticipating a stop at Hiram's keeps me focused when I'm crawling NJ bound on the Cross Bronx and GWB.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 11:43:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

John, thanks for the great report. I agree that Bubba's should be included in the 2008 Hot Dog Tour. Something for almost everyone, especially me and that Syd's dog.

I second (or is it third??)that ! In many ways, it sounds like a Dog Tour in one location!

Anne1963
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 12:33:11 (permalink)
Great dog reporting! I love you guys!
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/24 22:04:52 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Great trip report as usual John . !!! Sounds like we have found another exciting Hot Dog Emporium to visit .
I 4th that it could be added to the 2008 Jersey Hot Dog Tour . Don't know the logisitcs or exact location compared to the other stops but it sounds like a great new place .

Glad Hirams is still there , bad enough they closed Callahans .

Benzee
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/02/26 19:55:54 (permalink)
John and Screenbear: Thanks for the hot tip on Bubba's Dog House. Sounds like a definite place to go. Lyndhurst has all of a sudden turned into quite a destination, I may have to make a day trip there, to cover several places on my list. Let's see:

1) Pechter's In Harrison for Rye Bread. Always the first stop when heading in that direction.
2) Hamburgerao in Kearney for Brazilian Fast Food Hamburgers. New to me, good writeup at Off the Broiler.
3) Lyndhurst: Bubba's, Sultan Gyro (been there, great gyros, mostly takeout), Smitty's BBQ (some good press on line), Michaels Deli for Subs (several people have mentioned this place to me).

I should probably be full by then.... ---Ken
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/04 21:18:34 (permalink)
Hi everyone,
I just noticed on TVGuide.com that the Travel Channel show Hot Dog Paradises, that features Jimmy Buff's and our own John Fox will be airing tomorrow (Wednesday) March 5 at 8:00PM.
Just though I'd share.

Dave
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/05 08:04:04 (permalink)
Thanks for the info. Will DVR it!!! Hot dogs in front of the tv tonight!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/06 08:12:30 (permalink)
Watched it. Must have missed Johh. Where was he?
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/06 08:44:43 (permalink)
John opened and more or less closed the program.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/06 10:23:57 (permalink)
Thanks...will look again!
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/06 20:35:46 (permalink)
is John(or John you can feel free to answer) the shaved head goateed guy? I think he was wearing a green shirt? That show made me hungry for hot dogs last night and i was already planted firmly on the couch!
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/07 02:53:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by foobuc

is John(or John you can feel free to answer) the shaved head goateed guy? I think he was wearing a green shirt? That show made me hungry for hot dogs last night and i was already planted firmly on the couch!

No, John was wearing a Jimmy Buff's t-shirt. And the one who had the most intelligent things to say.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/07 06:40:16 (permalink)
Anne -

Here is a link to the thread I wrote about the day of the video shoot at Jimmy Buff's:

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23771
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/14 19:21:58 (permalink)
anybody know about new england hot dogs in freehold on route 9? heard it is opening on 3/15.

Bill M
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/14 19:55:31 (permalink)
Search the hot dog forums. Several people have given reviews of this new place!
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/15 10:47:33 (permalink)
Bill M,
I ate there last weekend, it's very good.

Dave
wine snob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/22 14:28:17 (permalink)
J&H closed in ac about 6mths into it.they pissed off the cops and fire dept. two groups that are right around the corner...next they picked a bad spot spent 1.2million to build and didn't do the proper research about the town. finally the food sucked not one good review from the press or any-one else. want to through away 1.2 follow there steps
kmcl1952
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/25 11:11:56 (permalink)
Originally posted by John Fox

I am a hot dog fanatic from N.J. I believe that we have the best and widest variety of hot dogs in the country.

I agree NJ is an excellent place for dogs of all kinds. I stumbled onto a very unique hot dog in a rather strange location in far Northern NJ(Sussex County). There is an excellent 27 hole public golf course in Andover NJ called Farmstead which has in it's restaurant/clubhouse an unusual dog which I believe may be from Canada. It is flavorful and available with very good onion rings. Clubhouse is open to the public once golf season begins so if your in the area, check it out. Other notable plus: the coldest draft beer I've found in recent years, so have a dog and a beer.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/25 16:15:05 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip...and welcome to Roadfood.com,kmcl1952!!!
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/28 20:28:53 (permalink)
Like I'm going to read 41 pages of Jersey Dogs. Could someone please summarize or at least tell me what I'm missing.

Will be heading to Jersey tomorrow. On my list so far, Jersey Joe's and Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover.

Here's where I've eaten so far. www.hollyeats.com/JerseyDogs.htm

What's missing?

Thanks.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/28 21:31:32 (permalink)
Holly,

Check this link: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=113208 for posts on Bubba's. I'm glad you are coming back to Jersey! Bubba's and Jimmy Buff's are 2 of the only 3 places I know of (Seymours in Livingston is the 3rd) that serves the Syd's dog. Bubba's prepares it on a charcoal grill, and it tastes like Syd's. Jimmy Buff's, in my opinion, is Jersey's premier hot dog joint. Their take on the Syd's dog is that it is sauteed in oil and then char grilled. Excellent! Even better than Syd's. Seynours splits and griddles their dogs. Good, but not as good as Bubba's or Jimmy Buff's.

They also serve a top notch Italian Hot Dog. Remember Max's? Jimmy Buff's uses the same Schickhaus frank, but in addition to griddle frying it like Max's, they finish it off on the charcoal grill. Don't forget to sample their chili, which is best described as bolognese style. Unique, and very good. Their regular 8 to a pound dog is sauteed in oil (in their slanted steel pit) and is what I consider the best deep fried dog in the state. This particular location was recently featured on the Travel Channel's Hot Dog Paradise program.

I would also recommend Pappy's Diner in Totowa. They serve a typical north Jersey "Hot" Texas Weiner featuring the Thumann's deep fryer (used at Rutt's Hutt) with a tangy, zesty chili that perfectly complements this dog.

I also think that the Galloping Hill Inn would be worth a second trip. But I suggest having their dog with just their special Dusseldorf mustard and not their chili. It's a great German style dog.

Enjoy your trip to Jersey! I'm already looking forward to your reviews.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/29 03:05:40 (permalink)
Holly if your in the Newark area hope you get a chance to hit Donny's
Dogs on Central ave and 15th street,3 hotdogs for $4.00 and any of his toppings such as hot and mild red onions,chili and cheese,saurkraut,relish,raw onions any and all for the same price,or if you prefer he has a large selection of specialty dogs at $1.75 each,some on the list are cajun dog with his spicy homemade cajun relish,idaho dog with mustard and potatoes,diablo dog with his spicy relish and hot onions,southern dog with chili and coleslaw plus a few others as well. Pete Caggianno is the owner and his truck was voted the #1 hotdog truck in Nj by the Star Ledgers Munchmobile. Another spot in Clifton is Papaya King,it's under new ownership,the previous owner Matt Visconte sold to the present owner Frank, I am sorry I forget to ask his last name, but he has new prices for the same great grilled Sabrett dog, .99 after 4:30pm very nice people I wish them well.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/29 06:10:50 (permalink)
I forgot about Papaya King. Excellent dogs, and I wasn't aware that the dogs were 99 cents after 4:30 Thanks for the info. I always thought $1.99 was expensive for a 10 to a lb dog. It's not even that steep in New York.

Donny's Dogs are ok, but lack the snap of a natural casing. I was on the Munchmobile panel and didn't have Donny's in my top 3. They got one first place vote and a few seconds and thirds. Jerry's got 2 first place votes (including mine)but no other votes. Donny's did well I think because of their number and variety of toppings, which isn't as inportant to me as the actual snap, flavor, and how the dog is prepared. If you're in the area, I think Tony's Truck in Branch Brook Park is a better choice. Pete Genovese voted it his favorite dog of the summer. It came in 2nd for dirty water dog. Better dog and better chili. Also known for their hot onions, which I've never had.
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1