Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 68
Author
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/29 10:27:40 (permalink)
i can't get behind Bubba's too much. they just don't do anything as well as the places they're copying. that said, it's worth a try. if you do get that long hot dog of theirs, make sure they put it on anything other than that long roll. it's just too much bread and you can't taste the damned dog. in fact i have the same complaint for their version of the ripper: too much bread. the cheesesteak looked pretty damned good though.

i'll second pappy's for their Texas Weiner.
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/29 12:04:43 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Hey Holly , why don't you join our Jersey Hot Dog Tour on Sat. Sept 20th and you can knock out 6 to 8 of these places in one shot .
John Fox , myself and Coney Island Lou will be running it and many roadfooders and guests will be onboard .
In the past we have visited , Jimmy Buffs , Rutts Hutt , Hot Dog Grill, Libbys , Father and Son, Mannys among others , and we start off at Galloping Hill Inn .

Other wise I cannot argue with any of the suggestions of places to visit .
I woulf put Jimmy Buffs high on that list .

By the way I love your site on Jersey Dogs and it has helped me in my travels to find that great dog.

Benzee

micciche57
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/29 14:44:02 (permalink)
YOU ARE THE BEST food critic i know and would appreciate it if you tried TEDDY'S Hot texas weiners in Paterson NJ. been there for more than 40 years that i know of and i grew up on them. But have never seen anything written up about them before. they deserve a visit .
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

Like I'm going to read 41 pages of Jersey Dogs. Could someone please summarize or at least tell me what I'm missing.

Will be heading to Jersey tomorrow. On my list so far, Jersey Joe's and Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover.

Here's where I've eaten so far. www.hollyeats.com/JerseyDogs.htm

What's missing?

Thanks.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/30 10:03:04 (permalink)
Hey everyone,
I made it to Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City yesterday. I agree with everyone who said parking sucks, we ended up parking in a private garage. $4.00 for up to an hour and we were gone less than 10 minutes. I will say though that the garage put us right next to the store in Journal Square. The dog was great, a wonderfully grilled Sabrett, very nice chili with a perfect amount of spice and flavor. It was a different consistency than what I'm used to though, I saw a lot of chili peppers in the mixture. We also went to Big Daddy's in Little Falls. Still one of my favorite joints, but I agree with those who have mentioned about the small dogs.
On a side note I'll be posting about the rest of my day in NNJ in the Trips forum in case anyone's interested.

Dave
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/30 13:25:06 (permalink)
Being from northeast PA I don't have near as many Jersey dogs under my belt so to speak as some (I've had the fabulous Rutt's a bunch of times, dogs from a diner in Clifton which were excellent but I can't remember the name of, various trucks etc) and yesterday, I added another to my list. Manny's Texas Wieners in Millburn.
Didn't even know it was there until my wife and I drove past it after leaving the Jersey PaddleSport Show. I said to her,'hey I think I remember that place being mentioned on the Roadfood forums'. So we wheeled in starved after walking all day and the pathetic lunch which neither of us finished and threw away at the Garden State Exhibit Center.
The parking lot was full so that was a pretty good sign that it should be decent.
Well, the chili dogs did not dissappoint. They were awesome. What the heck is it about a Jersey dog that makes 'em taste so good.
The dog stuck out the ends of the bun just begging to be sampled unadulterated before you got to the smothered rest.
The chili was a bit spicy, nice and thick and didn't run all over the place when you ate the dog. And just the right amount of mustard and onions.
I do have to say that the fries were mediocre at best, although the small bite of slaw on the side was excellent. As was the pickle.
But the dogs did shine.
I'd definitely return.

ab

Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/03/30 13:59:13 (permalink)
Hey ab ,

We visited Mannys on two of our tours , and the new Mannys (old Father and Son) on a third. Excellent dogs you are correct.
The first time we arrived Manny himself was waiting at the door shaking hands and taking picures with everyone . It was a sight to behold , we felt like celebrities . The place was packed but Manny had reserved some tables for us so it worked out good .
Did not want to leave there but the tour had to continue . Manny has a fan in me for life.
Think I will try to talk John into adding Mannys again this Sept for our 5th Annual Tour.

Benzee
Dooed
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/03 11:58:08 (permalink)
A pleasant supprize to the tastebuds and to the Wallet. Hot Rods hot dogs in Glen Gardner Nj Rt 31(a few miles north of rt. 78). His chili sause s great!!
Anne1963
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/03 12:01:49 (permalink)
Have I mentioned how very uplifting and soul-satisfying this thread is? Whenever I'm feeling homesick, like magic, NJ Hot Dog messages appear in my email! You guys are super!
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/03 20:29:35 (permalink)
I had 2 dogs at Max's in Long Branch today. They have been open for 3 weeks with limited weekday hours but today i got the chance to get there before they closed. Good Stuff!
Hrock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/05 17:19:33 (permalink)
Hello John, I am new to the forum. I came across this site by accident and was very pleased.

I was so happy to see your report on Pappy's Diner in Totowa Boro. I had e-mailed Holly Moore a few years ago suggesting he visit Pappy's,Libby's and a few others from that area. He did a report on Libby's, Falls View and some others but never Pappy's.
I hope you have had some influence on him. I am a native of the area and have visited most every Hot Texas Weiner place in the Bergen and Passaic County areas. I was always partial to Pappy's because of the unique taste. I think it was because of the little bit of celery that was added to the onions along with the great sauce. He also used Thumans dogs and deep fried them. I had the pleasure of knowing Pappy himself as I worked for an Uncle that owned a sevice station one block away and I actually serviced his little tan VW Beetle on a regular basis. I am rtired and living in FL for 14 years and still go back there as often as I can. I am sorry to say that I have forgotten the names of some of the old places. One on River St. in Paterson that was popular and I remember Clixes on Goffle Rd. up from Goffle Grill. Keep up the good work.

Hrock
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2327
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/06 10:48:17 (permalink)
Hrock,

Welcome to Roadfood. Pappy's serves a great Hot Texas Weiner. In fact, their chili is my favorite Texas Weiner chili and maybe my favorite overall chili. The only thing I don't like at Pappy's is the excrutiatingly slow service. Hopefully this might have changed. Last time I went there was another person waiting tables. In the past there was only the older woman who owns the place. Not bad if the place is empty, but when there were people, I had to wait an eternity. And longer to get my check. I wound up just walking up to the counter and demanding it.

I haven't been there in awhile and have been meaning to go back. This place would be a great stop on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour, but I would have to be totally convinced that they could handle a bus load of people. I doubt it.

I suggested Pappy's to Holly. He went to Jimmy Buff's and Jersey Joe's, 2 places known for Italian Hot Dogs. Since he was full, he didn't make any other stops, but will be coming back to New Jersey soon, hopefully to Pappy's.

Clixes closed for good a few years ago.
Hrock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/11 17:14:38 (permalink)
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. I did not know that Clixes closed up. I knew that the owner passed away but heard that the family was to cary on.
Clixes was one of the last places I visited up North that still serverd real hard rolls, I think they came from Verps Bakery in Haleden or ProspectPark.
I sure miss a good buttered hard roll or a Tayler Ham and egg on a hard roll.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/11 22:29:12 (permalink)
my Mom mentioned a place called Walt's maybe in Rutherford that she had gone to when she was younger. Does it still exist or is it long gone or has anyone ever heard of it?

p.s. i was at Jersey joe's again on Thurs morn 11am or so for an double italian since i was in the area. I ate it at the bayshore park right across the way. Someone told me the old "spyhouse" ? across the street is haunted if anyone is into that kind of stuff....
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/11 23:13:46 (permalink)
I'ts amazing that a hot dog has generated 41 pages of posts! John Fox "King of All Hot Dogs" how come you never mention Hirums? Rutt's Hut has the rep, but Hirums has the goods......
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/12 06:34:36 (permalink)
Ben,

I love both places. Great atmosphere and they serve beer! Rutt's and Hirams use the same recipe Thumann's frank for deep frying, so they are very similar in taste. Rutt's is 8 to a lb, while Hiram's is thicker; probably 7 to a lb. I go to Rutts much more often since it is a lot closer to me. I also like their dogs a little better than Hirams because of the unique relish. I prefer dogs more well done. I ask for a weller. At Hirams you have to ask for it "well".

For our first S.W.A.T. reunion (Munchmobile Team that visited 87 hot dog joints 2 years ago) we chose Hirams and had a great time. I found out that the long time owner (Joe Barnao?) sold the place to 2 of his employees a few years ago. The new owners came out with a chili that was picked as the best by our team. It's not a Texas Weiner style chili, but a hot and spicy one. Good, but for me a little too spicy. Goes good with the dogs.

Funny thing. I remember a pint of draft Michelob went for $1.50 while a bottle of Miller cost $4.00
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6196
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/12 10:17:33 (permalink)
After the comments often said here, I took one of our natural casing Thumanns and deep fried it...Wow...great...Will do it next with the Schikhaus brand...my two favorite N.C. hotdogs... As I've said before,I grew up in the 50's and early 60's and my dad, who was raised in central Jersey talked always about Rutt's Hut...Now I have a little better idea why he loved it so. Thanks!
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/12 11:12:23 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I loved hitting Hirams and Callahans together a few years ago before Callahans closed .
Great dogs at both .

I'm gonna try to replicate the Rutts Hutt relish this summer and bring some on our 5th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept .

Benzee
LEOFONT
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/13 09:43:32 (permalink)
"Barrels Hot Dogs".....just opened in South Orange NJ, on So. Orange Ave.....don't know what brand or size, but too small for me....I ordered 2 on one bun, to satisfy my taste....they also have Italian style, which I didn't have....the dogs are $1.75 each
crawdadds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/17 21:35:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by micciche57

YOU ARE THE BEST food critic i know and would appreciate it if you tried TEDDY'S Hot texas weiners in Paterson NJ. been there for more than 40 years that i know of and i grew up on them. But have never seen anything written up about them before. they deserve a visit .
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

Like I'm going to read 41 pages of Jersey Dogs. Could someone please summarize or at least tell me what I'm missing.

Will be heading to Jersey tomorrow. On my list so far, Jersey Joe's and Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover.

Here's where I've eaten so far. www.hollyeats.com/JerseyDogs.htm

What's missing?

Thanks.

I stopped at Teddy's hot dogs in Paterson yesterday and was surprised because the outside and the inside is not really what I would call enticing but... when you sit down and have 2 sabrett skinless dogs with a unique sort of texas weinerish type chili, fries and a soda from the fountain... FOR 5.00. It can't be beat. I think the dogs were around an 8 to the pound, griddled ( I think), you can't get better than that. A landmark. try it.
Have a great day.

craw
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/18 16:21:11 (permalink)
If this is the same Teddy's in Paterson, I've been there. From what I remember (see page 24) this was a converted bar serving a 6 to a pound natural casing Sabrett that was deep fried. Price was $1.50, which is about what they charge for a 12/1 Sabrett these days. Places like Big Daddy's in Little Falls charge $1.70 for a tiny dog; more with toppings.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/21 01:48:55 (permalink)
A couple of years ago on this thread, we reported that a famous NJ hot dog line, Sabrett, was now being manufactured in Noo Yawk City. How that came about is discussed on a law blog, and in a Appellate Division decision:
http://www.njlawblog.com/2007/01/
http://www.njlawblog.com/Marathon%20Decision.pdf
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/21 07:19:23 (permalink)
David NYC,

Thanks for that. I was only able to read the first one, as I can't get anything up with a pdf file. Someone a long time ago mentioned that Sabrett, despite being identified as a New York dog, had it's origins in Jersey City, N.J.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/21 08:41:53 (permalink)
Yesterday I had a chance to visit a new hot dog restaurant. Dino's Italian Hot Dogs opened about 2 weeks ago on Rt 46W in the Franklin Plaza in Rockaway. http://dinositalianhotdogs.com/index.htm

I called last week to ask a few questions about the place and it's product before deciding on whether to take the ride there. I wanted to know if they made what I consider an authentic "Newark Style" Italian Hot Dog. Meaning that it is made the traditional way with pizza bread rather than a sub or hoagie roll, beef hot dogs (preferably Best's) fried in oil (rather than grilled or boiled) along with potatoes, peppers, and onions. Yes on all counts. Not only that, but one of the owners I spoke with had experience working for years at a popular Italian Hot Dog restaurant. She knows the business and the history of the Italian Hot Dog. I figured it would be worth the somewhat long ride and I was right.

The place looks like a small pizzeria on the inside. I didn't ask what it was previously, but it's located in a small strip mall. The store is clean and cozy. The owner I spoke with on the phone wasn't there yesterday, but I got to speak with the 2 guys who were working. One guy was named Danny, and for a young guy, he knew a lot about Italian Hot Dogs, including their history and the places in Jersey that serve them. The people here definitely know the business and how to prepare a first rate Italian Hot Dog. Though only open 2 weeks, there have been a lot of customers who have heard about Dino's and came to check it out and to see how it compares to the Italian Hot Dog they are used to eating.

One thing I've noticed before and that Danny mentioned is that people are partial to what they grew up with. The new customers, most of which are hard core Italian Hot Dog fans, were not shy about declaring their loyalties and describing how Dino's compared to their favorite place. Although a traditional Italian Hot Dog is made with basically the same ingredients and prepared the same way, there are some differences from place to place. Some sandwiches have more oils in them. Think Jimmy Buffs in Scotch Plains. Those customers might consider Dino's sandwich to be dry in comparison. Those who frequent the East Hanover or West Orange Buffs like the drier sandwich at Dino's.

Another big difference is how the potatoes are cut. Some are in chunks, like Dickie Dees. Some are sliced thinner. Tommy's is sliced real thin. There really is no right way. People have different tastes when it comes to the potatoes, the amount of oils in the sandwich, and the softness or crunchiness of the peppers. As I mentioned, Danny said (and I agree) that most of the time, people grew up with a certain style and prefer that. He's had customers so far who are regulars at Jimmy Buffs, Tommy's, Charlies, and Dickie Dees.

Two other factors that makes a difference apart from the variations in potatoes, oils, etc. is the freshness and quality of the ingredients and consistency. For example, Charlies in Kenilworth for a long time made a great Italian Hot Dog. The last couple of years they have been inconsistent. Sometimes the bread they use is stale from being frozen, other times the potatoes are over or under cooked and don't seem fresh. What makes a great Italian Hot Dog is a combination of good fresh ingredients prepared consistenly well by people who care.

Dino's fits the bill. As for comparison, I'd say that their take on an Italian Hot Dog is closest to Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover, which is high praise indeed. They use fresh pizza bread from JC's bakery in Parsippany. This is good, sturdy bread. The same was used at Attilio's Kitchen which is now gone. The dogs are 8 to a pound Best's which is ideal. The onions and peppers are prepared together. I hate onions, but I was told that they would separate them upon request. The green peppers were plentiful, tasty, and soft like I prefer. The potatoes are sliced fairly thin rather than in chunks. Similar in shape to Buffs. Dino's has a tilted steel pan specially made (no one place sells them) where everything is fried in soybean oil. The potatoes are fried in a deep fryer and put in the oil as needed. Danny mentioned that the bread is never frozen and that the ingredients are always fresh. Peppers, onions, and potatoes are cut every day , sometimes every few hours. Nothing is kept overnight. Stuff that's been sitting around awhile is discarded.

The result is an excellent, authentic, Newark Style Italian Hot Dog. Everything blended together well. The sandwich was tasty and fresh. All of the ingredients were very good. I would describe it as dry rather than oily. Despite being new Dino's has their act together. The product is excellent, as is the service. The people working there are experienced, having worked at Italian Hot Dog restaurants before, and extremley knowledgeable about the sandwich, it's history, and the places that serve them.

I would definitely put Dino's in the top tier of Italian Hot Dog restaurants along with Jimmy Buff's and Tommy's. It's that good. My wife had a cheesesteak served Italian style which she proclaimed excellent. I didn't sample it because of the onions. I wish Dino's success. They are located in an area where people for the most part aren't familiar with Italian Hot Dogs. But according to Danny, there are a lot of transplants from Essex and Union Counties as well as Italian Hot Dog lovers who are willing to travel for an exceptional one.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/21 09:06:43 (permalink)
Yes, yes, they make the Italian hotdog as I remember it growing up...It has to be on a pizza bread with a nice pocket cut in and lots of what we called sauce. My Uncle John ran an Italian hot dog(and sausage) stand at Englishtown auction and it was very popular for many years 'til he sold the business. I grew up eating those wonderful sandwiches(and helping make them) every saturday. Short of a super slice of pizza, it's my favorite food!!! Dino's appears to do it right!!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/22 11:13:21 (permalink)
John, thanks for the write up on Dino's, I'll definatley get there soon.

I noticed you've confirmed that Atillio's Kitchen has closed. I had heard that mentioned somewhere. Sorry to hear it's true, it was a unique place, being in an old general store. I never did have thier Italian Hot Dogs but my wife and I did go there for pizza a couple of times. The pizza was different (the dough was sort of "puffy", for the lack of a better way to describe it) but excellent.

I'm suprised they closed, they seemed to be doing a great business. If you didn't get there when they opened for dinner at 4, by 4:30 there was a line out the door.

Thanks again. ---Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/22 16:37:48 (permalink)
Ken,

The owners of Attilio's sold the business. New owners bought it and renamed it La Cucina. haven't been there since the change in ownership. Gino Pesce, owner of Attilio's, told me his goal was to open a restaurant with a bar. His new place will be opening late May or early June and will be called Attilio's Tavern.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/24 00:41:07 (permalink)
Hey, John..thanks for the tip...a coupon to my favorite hot dog place....what a pleasant surprise!!!
sgt-at-arms
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/25 00:39:21 (permalink)
I just went to Texas Weiner II on RT 22 W in Green Brook. This was my favorite place many years ago in high school but sadly it went downhill after the passing of its long time cook (and maybe owner?). I havnt been there in about 5 years. It is now under new management and they have made some improvements. The inside has been cleaned and fixed up and the dogs are better then the last time I was there. They almost remind me of how they used to be. I also tried the dogs several months ago at the Stewarts Root Beer on 22 E in I believe Lebanon. People told me how great there dogs were. The roll and the mustard were normal, but they used sliced onions instead of chopped, which to me seemed to leave less onions on the dog. The dog itself lacked the snap I remember Texas Weiners having, but maybe I have been away from NJ for too long. The chili was the best part, hands down one of the best Texas Weiner chilis I've tried. They just need a better dog or maybe I just got an indifferently cooked one that day. Since I've just been forced to relocate back to NJ for 2 years, I'll have time to try again (and again).
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/25 08:32:34 (permalink)
Sgt: To my mind I like Stewarts on Rt 22 in the same way I like Hot Dog Johnny's. The dogs aren't that great, but if it's a nice day it's a great place to sit outside and have a couple of decent but not great hot dogs. ---Ken

PS: I'm hearing good things about Texas Weiner on RT 22, thanks for the confirmation. Back in the late 90's that was my favorite weiner place, but I stopped going there about 5 years ago as things went downhill.
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/04/25 11:53:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

Sgt: To my mind I like Stewarts on Rt 22 in the same way I like Hot Dog Johnny's. The dogs aren't that great, but if it's a nice day it's a great place to sit outside and have a couple of decent but not great hot dogs. ---Ken

PS: I'm hearing good things about Texas Weiner on RT 22, thanks for the confirmation. Back in the late 90's that was my favorite weiner place, but I stopped going there about 5 years ago as things went downhill.

Where on rt 22 is a stewarts? And I hear the best texas weiners is in plainfield. I've eaten at the one in Dunellen and On 22 in greenbrook.
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 26 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1