Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2326
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/05/25 09:52:29 (permalink)
The Verona location of Amazing Hot Dog has closed down. The Bound Brook store remains open and is going strong. I was in the area yesterday and stopped in. I enjoyed 2 Classics with mustard. They were delicious.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/05/25 10:46:20 (permalink)
The Munchmobile did hot dogs yesterday. This link is to Pete Genoves's blog.

http://blog.nj.com/munchmobile/2008/05/live_from_hot_dog_land.html
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/06/13 20:14:13 (permalink)
It was posted on another site that the last Callahan's location in Little Ferry is now closed.

http://njmg.typepad.com/foodblog/2008/06/bad-news-along.html

While I preferred Hiram's right across the street in Fort Lee, I always stopped in Callahan's for a dog. It's sad to see legendary hot dog joints close. We lost Syd's last year.
Jimmy Buff
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/06/14 00:13:10 (permalink)
John, The closing of Callahan's is a sign of the times. We experienced this a few months ago with the closing of our Irvington location. The owner ages and their is no one to follow is his foot steps add in the rising costs of doing business and you can see why these elderly owners would rather sell and retire than to put in the same amount of hours for less money. I don't know of anyone who would work more hours for less money. But when flour goes up and there is gas surcharges on every delivery and peppers are $30-$40.00 a bussel, this extra money comes out of our profit hence less take home money.Eventually the Mom and Pop stores that were the back bone of this country will be gone.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/06/14 06:38:08 (permalink)
And that's too bad. I've spoken to owners of places that closed. Rick Castrianni, who owned the Fort Lee Callahan's, told me that they were made a great offer. Same with Eagan's in North Arlington. They were a landmark place serving deep fried hot dogs. My father used to hang out there in high school. Mr. Eagan resisted many offers to buy his place. Finally he was made an offer to good to pass up. While I lament the closing of these places, I fully understand the owner's reasons for selling. The restaurant business is hard work. I can make a very good Italian Hot Dog myself, but I don't like cleaning the deep fryer or cutting up peppers and potatoes. I can imagine what it must be like cutting and peeling vegetables and potatoes on a large scale, then having to clean up a restaurant. While it's nice to own a popular and well respected establishment, why pass up the chance to make a lot of money while working less or not at all? The downside is the loss of original and quality eateries. To be replaced by what? Another bank? A CVS or Rite Aid? Like we don't have enough of these.

Well do I remember your Irvington location. It was the closest Jimmy Buff's to my home and the one I went to most frequently. For awhile there, I was going every Sunday night. I would pick up a double Italian Hot Dog just before closing and run home in time to watch Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, or whatever was on HBO. I was sorry to see it close. I would suggest to everyone to support your local "mom and pop" restaurant or hot dog joint, but even that might not be enough to keep them open anymore.
ejebud
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/06/27 07:47:33 (permalink)
Folks, I do so appreciate the energy and compassion behind some of your posts and PMs about Amazing Hot Dog. It is only since yesterday that I feel that I can post freely about what is going on. I hope the simplicity of my post is sufficient. The Verona location HAS indeed closed. I have chosen to remove myself from the company to pursue other opportunities. Matt still owns and operates the Bound Brook location so rest assured the quality of the food remains in the hands of an original owner. I encourage ALL of you to support AHD by going to Bound Brook and eating there—I know I will.

On a side note, I was shocked to hear that Callahan’s has closed its doors and read some posts by John Fox and others about the dying breed of Mom and Pop shops. Despite the appearance and image of AHD, it does fall into the category of Mom and Pop operations rather than a big chain. Please don't read into this the wrong way; AHD in Bound Brook is doing fine. I'm just saying that in general, it is totally up to US, those of us who are passionate about food, to ensure the survival of our favorite restaurants. Times are tough all over, so only the strong will survive. One of my vendors told me yesterday that he lost 4 accounts this month—2 of which closed their doors and walked away. It is a harsh reality of our current economic landscape.

I wish Matt all due success and prosperity and know that Bound Brook will continue to honor what we created in the original AHD concept.

Eric Eisenbud
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/02 17:00:29 (permalink)
My wife and took a quick trip up to the new Eden Gourmet store that just opened in South Orange at 1 South Orange Avenue. We were not all that impressed, it's sort of a very cramped version of a Whole Foods store. They also ned to work out the kinks. Many of the items were not priced and no one seemed to know how much they should be.

But the good news: They carry Hummel's brand Hot Dogs, both the packaged skinless version and the by-the-pound natural casing verison. The natural casing version is on sale this week for $2.99 per pound (normally $4.99 per pound). A pound of these boys will be on our 4th of July cookout menu. -Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/03 06:37:24 (permalink)
Ken,

Thanks for the information regarding Hummel's. I will try to get there this weekend. I've called the company in the past and was told that their franks were not available in N.J. However this was a few years ago. At the time the woman I spoke with said someone from New Jersey was looking into buying and serving Hummel's franks at a new hot dog restaurant. I guess this never got off the ground.

Hummel's is perhaps the most well known hot dog brand in Connecticut. At least in southern Connecticut. I've had it at numerous places including Swanky Franks, Danny's, Mr. Mac's Canteen, and the Glenwood Drive In. It is a quality beef and pork dog with a unique tangy flavor. To me it seems to fall into the category of you like it or you don't. I like these dogs. Although it is a mixed (beef and pork) meat dog, it has the flavor profile of a spicier beef dog. Most places in Connecticut serve this dog fried or fried and then griddled. The Glenwood Drive In serves a five to a pound natural casing dog that is the same size and shape of the Syd's dog. Here it is charcoal broiled. One of the best hot dogs I've ever had. The Glenwood, along with Rosco's (which serves a grilled Thumann's) are my favorites out of about a dozen places I've been to in Connecticut.

I'm glad that another quality frank is available in our area.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/03 08:30:21 (permalink)
John, if you go, it's not obvious but they have a parking garage on the street behind the store. We didn't know about it and had to look for meter parking. It's a couple doors down from the Gaslight Brewpub, by the way. Also, I'm not big on Rice Cakes (I leave that to my wife and daughter) but they make thier own and they are delicious, totally different from the usual packaged stuff.

Have a good 4th.
Jimmy Buff
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/03 22:57:35 (permalink)
Greymo, I believe West Orange is closet to Wayne here is our web site go to locations and click on map for WO and it will give you directions. Jim

www/jimmybuff.com
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/04 10:12:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buff

John,
I know that you and I have had this conversation before regarding posts on this and other forums. Although you say it is only your opinion, many people take your word as gospel. As owners we take pride in our restaurants and are proud to read about your posts, but on the same token we feel we are somewhat under the microscope. For instance if I have a problem with a plumber or mechanic or if my newspaper is delivered in a puddle or my mail is lost, there aren't forums for that and no one but myself knows about these problems. But in the restaurant business where I have stated many times the best advertisement is word of mouth, you screw up one time and it is posted all over the internet. The fiasco with Amazing Hotdogs where the women went directly to the internet to complain instead of the owner was ridiculous. Matt had to come on the forum and explain himself to everyone. There is an old saying "If you like us tell others and if you don't tell us." The pen is a powerful weapon and could easily help or hurt any business. In these trying hard times every customer counts and I would hate to lose even one because of a bad post.

Well Happy 4th all and keep eating hotdogs.

Jimmy,

Happy 4th to you and everyone. Hot dogs are definitely on the menu today. I have some left over dogs from Best (the Syd's 5 to a lb) that I served at my daughter's graduation party as well as a pound of Hummel's that I bought last night at the Eden Gourmet store that was discovered by Ken.

Let me say that the internet is a 2 edged sword. Without it and forums like these, I would never have found out a lot of information or have access to opinions and news about hot dog restaurants. I wouldn't have known about Hummel's being available 6 miles from my home. I agree with you about the best advertisement being word of mouth. These forums help spread the word. While positive posts and opinions can help business, negative opinions may hurt. That's just the way it is. You can't have one without the other.

As Foodbme stated, it's hard to influence people's personal tastes. Someone who favors a spicy beef dog might call a milder (though high quality) pork/beef dog bland and tasteless. There's nothing that an owner of a restaurant that serves this type of dog can do except to explain that he serves a different type of dog. The particular customer will post his opinion that the dogs are bland. What can you do? The answer is not to discourage someone from stating their opinions. I have my own opinions. I like thinner as opposed to thicker dogs. On an Italian Hot Dog I prefer the potatoes sliced thin the way you do it rather than in chunks like Dickie Dees does it. Again, it's opinion and it's personal and subjective.

It gets a little more objective when you post for example about how long you had to wait to be served. That post on another forum about the Friday the 13th fiasco comes to mind. The customer was 5th in line and it took 15 minutes for his order to be taken, 50 minutes to receive part of it, and an additional 15 minutes to receive the rest of it. Plus he and other customers were cursed at. I think everyone would agree that this is unnacceptable. He did ask for Matt who wasn't there. If that happenned to me, I would be angry and at some point would try to call the owner. Before Matt responded, I did post that it was out of the ordinary for Amazing Hot Dog and that he should wait for Matt to respond. As you say, "if you like us, tell others, if you don't, tell me". Fortunately Matt explained what happenned, apologized, and the customer promised to return.

A lot of the success and poularity of Amazing Hot Dog (especially in the beginning) was because of forums like Roadfood and Egullet. People were informed of the place and treated to good reviews. They went and liked it themselves and returned. Or didn't like it and stayed away. All well and good. The same can be true for anywhere else. I know if I go to a place and don't like the hot dog because of the flavor, spicing, method of preparation, size, I don't feel the need to seek out the owner. I'll just post my opinion. If, however, I don't like the hot dog because it was stale or not prepared properly, I'll try to let someone there know. But I don't feel it's wrong to post about it. I once went to a place where the owner (who took great pride in preparing dogs accurately and with lightening speed) was present and serving dogs. He got my order wrong. I told him and he seemed to make a point of replacing my dog as fast as he could, almost sarcastically. When he got it wrong the second time, he showed displeasure when I pointed it out. You bet I mentioned it on Roadfood.

As I've gotten to know a lot of fine people who own hot dog restaurants, I've gained a greater appreciation for what they do and how criticism and opinions that are posted online affect them and their business. A lot of us post for fun, but for people in the industry, it is their livliehood. It's unfortunate that some may post for less than honorable reasons (knocking a competitor's business for example), I agree with Foodbme that the burden of making good impressions lies mostly on the shoulders of those who own and operate these places. In the end, though, I think that things balance out. If you have a restaurant that offers a good product and provides good service, this will be mostly reflected in comments and opinions on forums like this. And the opposite holds true. Too bad that sometimes a good product and good service regardless of what's posted anywhere doesn't always translate into success. And sometimes places that offer mediocre food and service thrive.

Let me suggest that if you have a problem with a plumber, mechanic, etc. that you check out the town forums on nj.com. I've gone there and learned about mechanics and gas stations to avoid as well as recommendations and opinions about vets, auto body shops, dog groomers and a whole slew of products and services.

I'm looking forward to stopping in soon. Benzee, C I Lou, and myself will be making a dry run once the itinerary is finalized for the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. The places will be posted hopefully early next week.
crawdadds
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/08 21:17:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Benzee

Hello all ,

I'm always leary of someone with few posts

Mastiff 2 posts
Crawdads 11 posts

Opinions are what makes these forums so great . Good or bad . I remember posting a less than favorable review on Petes Hot Dogs a few years ago , not food related , and was hammered off board by a few .

Next up we need a review of AHD Bound Brook location . What do you say guys ?

The originator of this thread Mr. John Fox helps coordiante our Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour . As far as Jersey Hot Dog establishments , I respect his opinions above all others . He is a wealth of knowledge and can lead you in the right direction if you have a question.

Benzee

I posted 11 times on this board because that is all the time I have to do so. Posting in small doses does not negate from the fact I am a hot dog enthusiast of the utmost caliber.
You sir, do not astound me with your post implying you question a poster because of the amount of post one writes. That is unbelievable.

I wonder, if you knew who I actually was, would you retract that statement.

I don't judge you for making such a shallow comment . Maybe next time the munchmobile comes to see me... you will be there and we can all chat.. .again.

Good luck to you all... and Bon Appetit.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/09 06:52:12 (permalink)
crawdads,

I was on the Munchmobile and in all probability visited your establishment in 06. Which is your place? I see you live in Clark. Sal's? Munce's? Do tell. I'm curious.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/09 09:53:21 (permalink)
J's Beef?
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/09 11:50:23 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Not a member of the Munchmobile but do love reading about their travels.
As far as my post being a shallow statement . Fine thats your opinion . Just like its my opinion that questions someone on here with so few posts .
I have seen it on many message boards throughout the years , so its from experience .
Will leave it to John to figure out who you are mystery man .

Bon ... Appetit to you also

Benzee
ejebud
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/10 15:24:43 (permalink)
I just have to say, I had 2 all the way at Pappy's in Totowa for lunch today. It has become my new favorite Texas Wiener. Libby's was my #1 untill today. I think what made it special too, was the way Mrs. Pappy (?) shouts the orders to Mr. Pappy (?)

I still prefer an all beef dog, but I do so appreciate the Paterson/Clifton Texas Wiener for is place in the NJ hot dog landscape.

It feels good to be able to post under "foodie" status.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/10 22:43:19 (permalink)
Hi everybody,
Sorry I haven't posted lately, I'm sure I was really missed (can you hear the sarcasm). Anyway I figured I'll post everything I've been holding onto all at once.

I ate at Amazing Hot Dog last week around 3-3:30ish. I did notice the precooked dogs that were reheated. Mine was heated all the way through and was very good as usual. My only complaint about AHD is the size of the dogs because they have so many great toppings, I usually only get one when I go.

On the 2006 tour there were two guys on the bus who were going to open a dog joint in Jersey City. Anyone remember them and or know if it ever got off the ground? Just curious.

Someone was talking about Big Dogz on Route 36 in West Long Branch. I ate there last week as well. I thought the dog was ok, but was rediculously overpriced. The take-out menu mentions they have been around since the 1950's and have other locations. Does anyone know of any other locations that ever existed? They don't have a website as far as I'm aware.

I tried a new Italian Hot Dog joint in Hackettstown that recently opened. Anthony's Italian Hot Dogs is on Main St/Route 46 next to a Domino's Pizza (Not affiliated, it's just a landmark). The owner seemed nice, they are serving Sabrett's as dirty water dogs and deep fried for the Italian Hot Dogs. The peppers and onions were good, the potatoes were in chunks, the bread was fresh, They didn't have plastic forks which I found odd, but could just be a new store kink to work out. I enjoyed it and would go back.

A few months back (I think) some peeople were talking about an Italian Hot Dog joint in the Northern Monmouth/Bayshore/Keyport/Hazlet/Matawan area I think. I wasn't able to find the postings. If anyone knows about it could you kindly repost any information, I have a coworker interested in trying it.

Benzee, I'll try to mail the check in the next few days for the tour.

Dave
crawdadds
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 12:24:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

crawdads,

I was on the Munchmobile and in all probability visited your establishment in 06. Which is your place? I see you live in Clark. Sal's? Munce's? Do tell. I'm curious.

John, John, John,

If I told you , we would not be friends anymore! lol.

I will say this though. Many of you , especially you John, have designated yourselves as Hot Dog Gurus where many people seem to drool over your written word. I have read posts where you have annihilated someone's food because it did not fit what YOU thought was the way it should be. You would post a series of explanations why that food was not acceptable instead of stating it did not fit your taste buds, but you don't do it that way and your minions follow your lead.

John... I and many other food business owners are patiently waiting in earnest for you to open your restaurant. You have the answer on everything and how it should be, so when we come and visit, we can only expect the BEST of what there is in Hot Dogs, sausages and other road food delicacies... Right John?

I think I would even invest in that one myself but I know you won't open so one doesn't have to worry about that occurring. What would the USPS do without you? j/k.

gltya.

craw
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 15:04:01 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Never considered myself a "minion" of arguably New Jerseys Foremost Authority on Hot Dogs Mr. John Fox , but I do apreciate his opinions and reviews of local establishments .
His review will not stop me from visiting a place but I find his observations are right on the money after I visit a place he has voiced his opinion on .

John and I have many off board discussions and I consider him a friend , so I'm drooooooooling over what comes next , John , please the Hot Dog Guru that you are , I'm living on your every word , where do I go next for the perfect dog ? Sals ? Munces ? , J 's Beef ? What do you say Craw?

Benzee

aka Johns minion (hahahhhhhhhhhhahahahahahhahahhahhahahahhaha)
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 16:03:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by crawdadds

quote:

crawdads,

John, John, John,

If I told you , we would not be friends anymore! lol.

I will say this though. Many of you , especially you John, have designated yourselves as Hot Dog Gurus where many people seem to drool over your written word. I have read posts where you have annihilated someone's food because it did not fit what YOU thought was the way it should be. You would post a series of explanations why that food was not acceptable instead of stating it did not fit your taste buds, but you don't do it that way and your minions follow your lead.

John... I and many other food business owners are patiently waiting in earnest for you to open your restaurant. You have the answer on everything and how it should be, so when we come and visit, we can only expect the BEST of what there is in Hot Dogs, sausages and other road food delicacies... Right John?

I think I would even invest in that one myself but I know you won't open so one doesn't have to worry about that occurring. What would the USPS do without you? j/k.

gltya.

craw

Craw,

Don't be silly. I would never let a little criticism or disagreement over something so minor stand in the way of a friendship. Besides, I would bet money that I know who you are after reading your posts. Unless you choose to reveal yourself, I will not "out" you on this forum.

Please show me where I've ever referred to myself as a "Hot Dog Guru". I've never called myself that. I'm just a humble letter carrier who enjoys eating and talking about hot dogs. But I am flattered to be called a hot dog guru by others and to have minions. I've always wanted minions. In reality there are many people who don't take my opinions seriously. My family for one example. They can't understand why I would rate Rutt's Hut so highly when they say the dogs are dried out and taste like shoe leather. I have friends in West Jersey who say that anyone that doesn't like the dogs at Hot Dog Johnny's doesn't know hot dogs. I plead guilty on that one.

As far as opening my own restaurant, you might be waiting a long time. I only wish that I had the answer to everything and the influence you seem to think I have. I can't even get my son to take out the garbage! And my influence took a big hit the other day. I barged into my son's room unannounced and caught him in the middle of something I thought he stopped doing awhile ago after I caught him the first time. That's right, putting ketchup on a hot dog! I don't know who was more embarrassed, me or him. I promised not to tell his mother or his friends.

Just because I don't own a hot dog restaurant doesn't invalidate my comments or mean that I shouldn't make them as some have implied or outright stated to me. That's sort of like saying that since I only played baseball and coached it, but wasn't a major leaguer, that I can't criticize Carlos Delgado for not hustling on a ground ball.
I'll tell you something. If I ever did open my own place I'd serve a quality product, one I would eat, and prepare it the best way I knew how. And provide good service. Let the chips fall where they may. One thing I wouldn't do is worry about people coming on a forum and posting about my place. I would think if I served a good dog with good service, the opinions would be more positive than negative.

Do you really think it was right to call someone a "foolish little poster" because you disagreed with them? While I may not have agreed with everything that was posted, the post was thought out and was the person's opinion. And you wanted it deleted. I doubt you would have said the same thing if the post was mostly positive.

If I make a mistake on a factual matter; for example brand of dog, hours of operation, etc. I will (and have in the past) apologize. But I'll never apologize for stating my opinions here. I think that you and some others should lighten up. As I've said, people will make up their own minds. They'll like what they like and dislike what they don't like regardless of what I or anyone else has to say about it. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy giving my opinions and reading those of others.

If you are who I think, shoot me an e-mail. I'd like to know what's going on with you and your place.

hutt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 16:51:05 (permalink)
John Fox --> "As I've said, people will make up their own minds. They'll like what they like and dislike what they don't like regardless of what I or anyone else has to say about it. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy giving my opinions and reading those of others."

Well said, John! (and I absolutely LOVE ketchup on my dogs!)

Be proud of who you are!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6189
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 18:52:11 (permalink)
John...you ARE a gentleman...and, when it comes to Jersey dogs, I, for one, do greatly value your opinion!!!!!!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/12 19:38:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by hutt

John Fox --> "As I've said, people will make up their own minds. They'll like what they like and dislike what they don't like regardless of what I or anyone else has to say about it. In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy giving my opinions and reading those of others."

Well said, John! (and I absolutely LOVE ketchup on my dogs!)

Be proud of who you are!

Love ketchup! Darn, another hit to my powers of influence.
crawdadds
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/13 07:53:53 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

John...you ARE a gentleman...and, when it comes to Jersey dogs, I, for one, do greatly value your opinion!!!!!!

Thank you. And I value the opinions of people who post here. I have friends that I go out and enjoy a dog with every now and then. We often disagree with each other. It would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

I forgot to ask in my last post that crawdadds be a little more specific as far as his criticisms of me and where I "annihilated someone's food because it did not fit what I thought was the way it should be." I love a good discussion/debate. The same goes for anyone else who disagrees with me. If I'm wrong, come on here and tell me why. I see that crawdadd's post calling Mastiff a "silly little poster" has been deleted. I wonder if it was him or the moderators that did it. It would be ironic if it was the moderators since crawdadd wanted Mastiff's post censored, yet it was he who was censored.

My post was censored .
John keep up the good work.

eom.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/13 09:48:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

Hi everybody,
Sorry I haven't posted lately, I'm sure I was really missed (can you hear the sarcasm). Anyway I figured I'll post everything I've been holding onto all at once.

I ate at Amazing Hot Dog last week around 3-3:30ish. I did notice the precooked dogs that were reheated. Mine was heated all the way through and was very good as usual. My only complaint about AHD is the size of the dogs because they have so many great toppings, I usually only get one when I go.

On the 2006 tour there were two guys on the bus who were going to open a dog joint in Jersey City. Anyone remember them and or know if it ever got off the ground? Just curious.

Someone was talking about Big Dogz on Route 36 in West Long Branch. I ate there last week as well. I thought the dog was ok, but was rediculously overpriced. The take-out menu mentions they have been around since the 1950's and have other locations. Does anyone know of any other locations that ever existed? They don't have a website as far as I'm aware.

I tried a new Italian Hot Dog joint in Hackettstown that recently opened. Anthony's Italian Hot Dogs is on Main St/Route 46 next to a Domino's Pizza (Not affiliated, it's just a landmark). The owner seemed nice, they are serving Sabrett's as dirty water dogs and deep fried for the Italian Hot Dogs. The peppers and onions were good, the potatoes were in chunks, the bread was fresh, They didn't have plastic forks which I found odd, but could just be a new store kink to work out. I enjoyed it and would go back.

A few months back (I think) some peeople were talking about an Italian Hot Dog joint in the Northern Monmouth/Bayshore/Keyport/Hazlet/Matawan area I think. I wasn't able to find the postings. If anyone knows about it could you kindly repost any information, I have a coworker interested in trying it.

Benzee, I'll try to mail the check in the next few days for the tour.

Dave

DPuro329,

The place you are talking about is Jersey Joe's in Port Monmouth. I posted about it in my summary of the 87 places I visited in 06. Scroll down to #65 here:
http://www.thegourmetchilidog.com/vendors/nj/JohnFox_2006_01.html

Also, if you go to page 5 of the Hot Dogs, Sausages & Bratwursts forum, you will see that Ellen posted about Jersey Joe's.

Pappy's Diner is #57 on the above linked page. It was mentioned by Ejebud a few posts back. I love their chili and voted Pappy's as having the best chili dog. A zesty chili with sweet and sour flavors. The only reason why I don't go more often is that the service is extremely slow. Mrs. Pappy was the only one waiting tables all but the last time I went went, when I noticed another woman who appeared to be a waitress.

Ejebud, did you have to wait a long time to be served? How was the service?

I strongly considered adding Pappy's to this year's New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I went and spoke to the owner, but wasn't convinced that they can handle a large group of people. Especially this year with an added bus. Hopefully this will change in the near future.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/13 15:46:08 (permalink)
i don't know John Fox other than from the forums as i have yet to make the Sept tour but i have always seen where he states his opinion and then if he is out with others or on a tour he will say welll since i don't like onions .... but the other liked the onions....etc. I think he always seems fair in his opinions of places.

DPuro yes the Big Dogwz seemed overpriced for the size of the dog and i don't know where the other places have been since the 50's i just remember seeing in the place info about them wanting to expand.

Jimmy Buff
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/13 22:15:48 (permalink)
I consider John Fox a friend of mine and I believe he thinks the same of me. Do you know how we meet? He was critical of one of my locations and always rated one of my competitors ahead of me as far as taste goes. What bothered me the most was that I prided myself on always being number 1. Number 2 didn't cut it for me. Number 2 means you lost and I don't like to lose. How did I react? Did I come on this or any forum and bad mouth him? No, I picked his brain to find out how I can become #1 again and stay there. When a person tells you something is wrong and you consider that person a friend than take there advice and fix it. If a so called friend doesn't like something but feels bad telling you he is not helping you out at all. Case in point, when I have to fire an employee, I do not want to hear how bad they were after I fired them I wanted to hear about it while they were still there so I can fix it. Whichs brings me full circle to my old motto, "if you like us tell others if you don't TELL us."

John, keep on doggin' it.

Jim
ejebud
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/14 00:47:32 (permalink)

Pappy's Diner is #57 on the above linked page. It was mentioned by Ejebud a few posts back. I love their chili and voted Pappy's as having the best chili dog. A zesty chili with sweet and sour flavors. The only reason why I don't go more often is that the service is extremely slow. Mrs. Pappy was the only one waiting tables all but the last time I went went, when I noticed another woman who appeared to be a waitress.

Ejebud, did you have to wait a long time to be served? How was the service?

I strongly considered adding Pappy's to this year's New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I went and spoke to the owner, but wasn't convinced that they can handle a large group of people. Especially this year with an added bus. Hopefully this will change in the near future.

When I pulled into Pappy's, it was just 12:00 and there were only a few cars in the lot(which makes me nervous considering from whence I came) I sat at the counter; I was the only one, I ordered right away. I'll say that while it took a little longer than I thought it should, It wasn't a rediculous amount of time, maybe 8 minutes. I did observe the rate of speed (or lack thereof) that Pappy travels and I can only describe it as a "shuffle"; yeah, thats it...he shuffles through the kitchen. Good (what I call) Whipped Pork dog; light and crunchy.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/14 11:22:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Buff

I consider John Fox a friend of mine and I believe he thinks the same of me. Do you know how we meet? He was critical of one of my locations and always rated one of my competitors ahead of me as far as taste goes. What bothered me the most was that I prided myself on always being number 1. Number 2 didn't cut it for me. Number 2 means you lost and I don't like to lose. How did I react? Did I come on this or any forum and bad mouth him? No, I picked his brain to find out how I can become #1 again and stay there. When a person tells you something is wrong and you consider that person a friend than take there advice and fix it. If a so called friend doesn't like something but feels bad telling you he is not helping you out at all. Case in point, when I have to fire an employee, I do not want to hear how bad they were after I fired them I wanted to hear about it while they were still there so I can fix it. Whichs brings me full circle to my old motto, "if you like us tell others if you don't TELL us."

John, keep on doggin' it.

Jim

Great post, Jim. And while I was being honest in my criticism and comments, it was only after speaking with you that I found out that you personally were not responsible for running the particular location, although it does bear your family name. And while my comments were valid, I was wrong in not making it clear that they only applied to a particular location, not every Jimmy Buffs. I made sure to make that clear. Instead of being upset with criticism, you invited me back, took the initiative to see that the cause for concern was fixed, and kept me abreast of changes you made in your menu.

Because of your willingness to listen to your customers, and your dedication to being the best you can be, you can rest assured that you are #1. Now if you can only open another restaurant closer to me.....
mattj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/14 13:28:42 (permalink)
I am a liitle late to the game here, as I just got through reading these posts from the last week or so. Jimmy could not have said it better, right on point. As a hot dog shop owner, I too consider Jon a friend although in the past we have battled on a few items. He is the most knowledgeable person I know on hot dogs, and true he does like them a certain types a certain way, but, does understand how peoples tastes do differ. But over time Jon has been a great resource and sounding board, and believe me if he did not like something at my place he would tell me and if he did review it online he would be compltely honest and totally unbiased. my place has been ripped on this web site and others in the past, and yes there have been very positive posts as well. The web is a very powerful tool, but as a business owner all you can do is keep pushing through, and not get too high or too low. And all opinions are welcome, as I normally do not write on these sites, I do follow them and they do make for some great reading..See you all soon..Jon keep us on our toes...

Matt
Amazing Hot Dog
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1