Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 69
Author
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/14 15:11:06 (permalink)
It's nice to see the proprietors of hot dog places chiming in here. Shows that they care about the product they sell and consumer response to that product. Try getting that from a national chain. Support small business, in these times they need us to survive!
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/14 18:30:38 (permalink)
It's also nice to see the people who own these places in there working. I've seen Matt and Jimmy sweating near a hot fryer. It's hard work and these guys put in the hours. Of course they want to see it pay off with a good customer base and good reviews. We all have our tastes and favorite types of dogs, toppings, and ways of preparation. It's good in that you can have one place serving Italian Hot Dogs, one serving dirty water dogs, and another serving fried dogs all located close to each other and all doing well. It's a tough choice that a potential newcomer to the business has to make regarding what dog to use, how to prepare it, what to charge, and all of the other details involved in making and selling hot dogs. Once those decisions are made, then the focus is on providing a consistent product with good service. If you've done that, you can be proud that you are doing all you can do.

As has been mentioned, there are other factors that can influence the success of a place. Location, the economy, your market. Some places that serve what I consider an ordinary dog with indifferent service do well. They may be the only game in town. They may be living off a reputation that was earned in the past. They may be located in an area where people are used to ordinary dogs and someone serving something with a lot of flavor or a different flavor may not do well. Try selling a hot dog made of something other than beef in Chicago.

Many of you realize how hard it is to say anything remotely negative when asked your opinion. Especially when the person asking is friendly, cordial, or even a friend. But they are asking because they want honest feedback. And if you are honest when offering criticism, they will know you are honest and not just blowing smoke when you offer praise or positive feedback. It's also difficult to say something nice about a place whose owner might rub you the wrong way. Or be sarcastic. Or curse at you. But if they got a good product, I'll say it while mentioning what I think of their attitude. The Soup Nazi had great soup. I was there after spending a few hours at a brewpub. Being the only customer (with my wife) I ordered, then laughed my head off when Mr. Yeganeh had a disgusted look on his face and wildly waved his arms to get us to move to our left. The staff at Peter Luger's can be brusk. Maybe it's because these places know they have a good product.

Forgive me for rambling again, but I appreciate the risk and the hard work that people who own these restaurants (more specifically hot dog joints) put into them. I wish them all success and try to return time and again especially to those places who truly seem to relish my business.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/16 13:01:41 (permalink)
FWIW -

I stated in this forum that I did not like Italian hot dogs because I found the vegetables too soft.

Jimmy Buff replied with a post that told me how to order an Italian hot dog that might suit my preferences. I drove from Flemington to his shop in East Hanover just to try his recommendations.

The bottom line is that I found out that I liked Italian hot dogs when they are prepared to his recommendations. Before this I had pretty much written off this type of dog.

If Jimmy had gotten defensive or viewed my statement of preference as a criticism I never would have found that I liked Italian hot dogs. He made me a customer not an enemy.
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/16 17:24:23 (permalink)
i was in Keyport and the old place(i forget its name but it was there for years)that closed about a year ago and became White Rose system(i think) is now about to reopen with the name of Rob's or Bob's Hot Dog's. I don't think it has opened yet but once it does, i will give it a shot as i am in Keyport on Wednesdays.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/16 18:54:30 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The intinerary is set for the 5th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour on sept 20th .
John Fox set the intinerary with some help from all of us .
Check the Misc Foods forums under the Jersey Hot Dog Tours for more info

For your info

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/22 21:51:48 (permalink)
Lee,
My wife and I went to Boardwalk Hot Dogs a few months back on your and some other peoples reccomendations. I believe I posted about it as well, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway it was a very good dog considering what it was. I'm not a huge fan of the large griddle dogs so popular down the shore (i.e. Boardwalk, Max's, the Windmill, etc). I prefer an all beef smaller dirty water dog. but the Dog at Boardwalk was definitely better than other griddle dogs that I've had in the area. There are definitely a bunch of Sabrett vendors in the Brick area which is great. Are you going on the hot dog tour in Sept? Always nice to put a face to a screenname, especially a local one.

Dave
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6350
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/23 08:46:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by DPuro329

Lee,
My wife and I went to Boardwalk Hot Dogs a few months back on your and some other peoples reccomendations. I believe I posted about it as well, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway it was a very good dog considering what it was. I'm not a huge fan of the large griddle dogs so popular down the shore (i.e. Boardwalk, Max's, the Windmill, etc). I prefer an all beef smaller dirty water dog. but the Dog at Boardwalk was definitely better than other griddle dogs that I've had in the area. There are definitely a bunch of Sabrett vendors in the Brick area which is great. Are you going on the hot dog tour in Sept? Always nice to put a face to a screenname, especially a local one.

Dave

Hi Dave,haven't cleared my work schedule,so I'm not sure I can make the tour....but I'm trying...I agree,if you're a Sabrett's fan,we have a lot of vendors here.I stopn occasion at the ladies truck on Mantoloking road, Nice lady!!
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/28 20:19:23 (permalink)
Fattybomatty,

I wasn't aware that Nanny's served hot dogs. Could you tell me what brand? Thanks.

The Bear
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/07/29 07:25:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Fattybomatty,

I wasn't aware that Nanny's served hot dogs. Could you tell me what brand? Thanks.

The Bear

Screenbear she serves the big thumann's. Also, I'm not sure if they are always on the menu (I think they are), but she definitely has hot dog specials. If they are not a staple on the menu you can ask her to make you one. She accommodates her customers whenever possible.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/03 09:41:36 (permalink)
Holly Moore recently added two more reviews to his site; Jersey Joe's in Port Monmouth, and Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover.

http://www.hollyeats.com/
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/11 14:37:04 (permalink)
The last Callahan's location in Little Ferry is no more. Drove past this weekend and the building has been knocked down. Another Jersey
classic gone, what a shame.
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1042
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/13 18:44:09 (permalink)
There is a new Hot Dog place in Ocean City NJ. It is called the Hot Dog Hut. The owner is a woman from Newark. She serves Best all beef dogs and you can order them steamed or grilled. She even has Italian Hot Dogs. In South Jersey!! I had a grilled dog with chili, mustard and raw onions. The dog was very tasty and the chili was great. Next time it will be the Italian. Right next door is an ice cream shop, Treats and Treasures so we had cones for desert.

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/13 19:20:21 (permalink)
Are they natural casing? If not I would pass. Is grilled charbroiled or griddled? Finally, is the bread for the Italian Hot Dog pizza bread or a sub roll?
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/13 21:54:28 (permalink)
Today I ate at a brand new hot dog trailer in Brick called The Original Frankie's. The owner Tim has been open 4 days and hopefully will do well. I asked him about the name because there is another trailer down the street called Frankie's and apparantly it was previously in his family but had been sold. He's serving 11 to a pound Sabrett natural casing dogs and mine was cooked perfectly. The chili is homemade as well and the prices are reasonable, the chili dog was $1.65 I believe. The trailer is on Mantoloking Road in Brick and is on the right side of the road if you are heading east towards the shore.
Also a little bit further up the road is Biggie's Roadhouse also on the right side of the street and also serving Sabrett's.

Dave
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6350
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/14 06:47:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the info...we're sure getting a lot of trucks in Brick!!!
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1042
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/14 17:23:28 (permalink)
John;
Sadly there is no snap, no natural casing. The grill is a flat top. The bread for the Italian looks like a large, fat, brown pita. They offer a single and a double.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/14 19:19:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the info, Chris.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/15 22:08:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Which is where??

It's on Route 46 in Butzville, NJ (near Hackettstown), good pit stop on the way to the Delaware Water Gap, etc..

Great atmosphere with the picnic tables, and the stream in the back.
Homemade root beer.....many folks love their hot dogs; I hate them..
I find them to taste like too "cheap and porky"

It's been around 4-ever... a true Roadside joint....
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/15 22:38:01 (permalink)
I agree that Hot Dog Johnnies is a true roadfood joint. I also think it's one of if not the most overrated hot dog joints in NJ. I don't like their dogs or the yellow mustard, raw onion and pickle toppings common in the area.

Dave
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/15 22:56:52 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Have not made it to Hot Dog Johnnys yet but it is within a short ditance to Charlies Pool Room and Tobys Cup .
I like both of those especially Charlies . We are planning another mini meet in Nov after the 5th annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour which is in sept 20th . Charlies is the location but perhaps we can get over to Johnnys for a try

Benzee
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/17 12:13:51 (permalink)
Count me among those who do not like Hot Dog Johnny's. I've stated my opinion before that they are the most overrated hot dog joint in Jersey. Bland skinless pork dog. West Jersey prefers milder dogs, but if you are in the area Charlies Pool Room and Toby's Cup are much better dogs. I don't doubt that many people love Hot Dog Johnny's. They are, along with Rutt's Hut, the 2 most well known hot dog restaurants in the state. Part of the reason for their popularity is the atmosphere. It's located in a picturesque setting near the Pequest River. Then there is the nostalgia factor. Many people grew up eating these dogs. While atmosphere, setting, nostalgia, service, and other factors add or detract from the overall experience, these things should totally be discounted when judging the taste and quality of a hot dog.

Johnny's is wildly succesful and popular. So they are doing something right. Unfortunately popularity isn't always an indication of quality. Think McDonalds and the Olive Garden.
ShellysDawgHouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/17 14:43:17 (permalink)
I have never been to H.D.J but i have been to Rutts and i must be one of the minority. I hated it. I mean HATED. and i didn't like the relish people just love. I guess i have a different tastebud.
Benzee
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/17 15:10:02 (permalink)
Shelley ,
Thats whats great about having opinions . I happen to love Rutts and the relish , I could eat it like mac salad on the side as a meal . But when we included it on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour people were either for or against with no middle ground . Most were for but those against were very vocal about not liking it .

I'll definetly have to stop at HDJ's to try for myself .

Benzee
eggsactley
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/17 17:11:11 (permalink)
I remember stopping at HDJ as kid in the pre I-80 days. I've got to agree with the majority here, nostalga and location are its only strong points.
bt539
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/08/18 21:06:22 (permalink)
Had a chance to visit amazing hot dogs yesterday. Ordered a Classic with chili, mustard and onion. a very good but filling dog. Spoke to Matt the owner who was a very good host! Thanks and will visit again.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/09/03 22:47:30 (permalink)
"ken8038 - I don't like the fact that they have no prices posted, but it's still one of my favorite places in all of NJ."

Hi Ken8038, I am always surprized by that myself, but, it's not a bad surprize, three hotdogs with mustard,onion's & pickle,an order of their great fries and a large soda for under $7.00. I've been to alot of places were the price is posted but the amount charged is different,after pointing it out ot the owner/cashier the difference is generally refunded. Even in NY, the carts are supposed to have their prices posted,but on a recent trip to the Javits center we stopped by a cart and asked for the price of a hotdog and a can of soda, $5.50, three fifty for the hotdog and $2.00 for a can of soda.
We passed, after seeing the dog was a greyish color, and for that price I can get a better hotdog in the center.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/09/08 22:59:33 (permalink)
A few weeks ago I got a chance to try Father N Son in Linden,very good chili dogs. Right up there with Hirams in Fort Lee and Tony's Truck in Newark, thanks for the tip ScreenBear, whenever I'm in that
part of the state I will definitley stop in.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/09/08 23:27:16 (permalink)
Big G,

Glad you enjoyed Father and Son's frankfurters in Linden, New Jersey. Father and Son is among my top ten favorite hot dog joints in N.J.

Indeed, it ranks with Tony's Truck and Hiram's. What all three have in common is the heat uniquely and sensationally generated by their respective, signature toppings: the onions at Tony's; the chili at Hiram's, and the chili at Father and Son.

The Bear
Cross22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/09/09 13:45:07 (permalink)
I grew up in Lodi,N.J. a few blocks from my house was Hanks' Franks on Rte 46 East. Hank had a good thing going there grabbing people off the busy highway with truckers and all and hardly any parking. Hank had a great special Buy 8 get one free. My favorite was Hot Texas Weiner and the Hot Italian, can't remember the price, but if someone out there knows please reply. And they were all sabrett dogs. ciao for now Ray
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2008/09/09 19:04:25 (permalink)
<<Father and Son is among my top ten favorite hot dog joints in N.J. >>

I'll see your ten and raise you five. It's at least in my Top 5, maybe even #1. If I had to name a top 2 it would probably be Father & Son and Johnny & Hanges, even though Johnny & Hanges doesn't seem to rate as high with most other people.

http://www.johnnyandhanges.com/

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 29 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1