Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 31 of 34
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/19 20:44:59
I know it's also a big pain to find parking anywhere near Boulevard Drinks.

I love Boulevard Drinks. That smell when walking near the vicinity screams a great hot dog...to me.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/20 19:50:33
When the Star Ledger reviewed 87 hot dog joints in the summer of 2006, our 8 member panel was asked to vote on the top 3 in favorites in 5 different styles. We were also asked to vote for our favorite overall hot dog. Boulevard Drinks finished second (Syd's was first) out of 87 places and more than 100 different hot dogs as many places served more than one kind.

I've gone and had to park in the nearby parking garage. Boulevard Drinks opened in 1937 serving grilled Sabretts that were made nearby in Jersey City on Coles and Hemderson Streets. Very similar in appearance to Papaya King in New York with the neon signs. Although Papaya King opened a few years before Boulevard Drinks, they (Papaya King) didn't start serving hot dogs until after Boulevard Drinks opened. I believe Boulevard Drinks may have been the inspiration for Papaya King serving hot dogs as they started using the same Sabrett natural casing franks and preparing them on a hot griddle.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/20 20:39:57
Thanks for the info. I guess Papaya King started with just drinks?

I was born...not far...from Boulevard Drinks. It will always be my favorite!

I always try to get a picture of the exterior without getting a picture of behinds. It never works. Someone is always there. 

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/12/20 20:41:02
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/20 20:49:49
Papaya King started with just drinks and added hot dogs later. It's been a few years since I've been to Boulevard Drinks.  This must be a new picture because I never saw that sign. The one I'm familiar with was a neon sign with a letter missing.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/20 20:52:10
I took that in early Oct. I loved the old sign.
Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/24 23:28:46
Hello all ,
Is there any on street parking in that area or is it all garage  parking for Boulevard  Drinks ?
Benzee
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/25 06:47:57
There's parking on the street, but it's hard to find a spot since they're usually all taken.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/25 09:30:30
During the week...it's not at all easy to find a spot. Sometimes you can get lucky...but the area is so busy it's hard to plan or wait a second for a spot close...without hearing horns beeping at you.

During the week the closest spots are usually around the side streets along Sip Ave. (headed west towards Rte. 440 by Twin City Supermarket) but that puts the distance at a nice walk...and unmetered parking in the area also means a 2 hour limit without a resident permit.

Parking in any fast food lot (like White Castle) is OUT. The tow trucks patrol and will tow if you park and go anywhere other than White Castle. Even if you are in White Castle you have to pay attention to the lot...to make sure the car is not on the hook.

Boulevard Drinks is very convenient (from NYC) by Path Train. A very quick trip ....and it's located directly across the street from the Journal Square Path Station.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/26 16:44:02
Nancy and I drove by Boulevard drinks Xmas Eve, they were hopping at 7 PM!  One thing you can do to spread the cost of parking is to take in a movie at the vintage Loew's Theater a few doors down.  We did just that when we saw Big Lebowsky earlier this year at Loews.  And there's a link for parking for Loews, which would work for Boulevard.

www.loewsjersey.org

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/12/26 19:24:11
Boulevard Drinks & Loew's has to be the BEST hot dog & movie combo...in the world!! Both are spectacular!

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=all&_r=0
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/01 18:05:38
My best hot dog of the year was also my last, yesterday at Local Smoke BBQ in Neptune City, NJ, on Route 35 just above Belmar, NJ.  They do a 4/1 Berks all beef dog, cherrywood smoked, then heated in an oven finished on the grill-served in a potato roll that is also crisped on the grill.  Highly recommended.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/02 19:53:07
I concur. Based on the recommendation of John's good friend Damian and another member of Hot Dog Nation, I paid a visit to Local Smoke yesterday. Below is my post from Hot Dog Nation's page:

Pat and I went to Local Smoke in Neptune today. Just read Damian's report and saw the pictures. Thanks Damian and thanks Eric who mentioned Local Smoke here.
I decided to try the jalapeno poppers, burger, and hot dog. Pat had a half rack of ribs. We shared everything. Also had some homemade potato salad, coleslaw, and fries.

First the jalapeno poppers. They were as good as Eric said. Excellent. Bacon wrapped and filled with cream chese and pulled pork, they make a great appetizer. Best jalapeno poppers I've had anywhere. Pat concurred.

The cole slaw and potato salad were very good and the portions were generous. The shoestring fries were also good though we only had a few since there was so much else.

The ribs were nice and meaty. I don't eat ribs often although I do enjoy them. It's hard for me to compare them to anything since I don't have them much. I did like them, but when I come back it will be for other things that I enjoyed more.

The hamburger was a disappointment. Ordered medium, it was way overdone to the point of being dried out. When one of the waitresses asked how everything was, I told her. Dean the owner came over and apologized. Unfortunately he didn't have help as someone was late, and as a result the burger was overcooked. Next one is on him and he promises it will be better. I believe him as Eric said that this was his favorite burger of the year. I'll give it another shot next time.

The hot dog was outstanding as we had hoped, and the main reason I made the trip. It was indeed a 4/1, not a 5/1. It's a skinless all beef Berk's from Pennsylvania. I've had this brand before, but it's been a good 6 years at least. Hot Dog Tommy's in Cape May serves a 5/1 version of this dog on a roller grill. Perhaps my least favorite way of preparing a hot dog. But I remember writing that it was a solid, if unspectacular beef dog. A year or so prior I had a few pounds of the same 5/1 beef frank sent to me by Berks along with some of their jalapeno cheese dogs. I grilled them at home and remember liking them. They are not available in my neck of the woods. I can get them when I travel a little south of where I am.

What makes the dog so good here at Local Smoke is the quality of the frank itself plus the preparation. Dean takes a good dog and makes it great. First it is smoked with 2 different woods. Cherry wood and sugar maple. Then heated in a convection oven and finished off on a grill. The result is a delicious dog with a taste and texture that you wouldn't have without the additional smoking. Beefy and juicy. I wouldn't expect a dog prepared this way to be as juicy. It has a pleasing smoky flavor. But not too smoky. Some dogs have too much of an artificial smoke flavor due to the addition of too much liquid smoke. Not so here. Just a delicious, juicy, smoky dog with a nice texture and spicing. Not a heavy hand with the spicing either. A well balanced flavorful dog that is definitely one of the best I've had. My wife really liked it also. The bun was just the right size for the dog and spent some time on the grill.

Although Local Smoke has won numerous awards for their barbecue, I will be back for their hot dogs. Not only a fantastic dog, but a great value at $3.00 for a 4/1 dog. And I'll give their burger another shot as I believe it will be better than what I had today. Thanks again to Eric and Damian who posted about this restaurant. I don't get out as often as I like and I depend on the posters here to help me find new and interesting places to eat. I encourage everyone to post about their findings. Places that provide unique and quality food deserve to be supported.
JERSEYFONT
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/06 11:26:56
THE only place I know of that sells Berks dogs are the ACME supermarket on rt. 28 in Middlesex 
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/06 18:07:40
Yes, and I believe they only sell the beef/pork version. I've seen them in Wildwood also.
Russ Jackson
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/15 19:58:46
Thought I would post the Rutts Recipe here also:

The recipe also says to make a paste with the flour, mustard, and turmeric if you do this it will seize and create had balls of flour when added into the mixture. You must make it into a slurry and I would use plain water not the liquid from the simmer. I also rinsed the chopped vegetables very well and squeezed out the moisture. 
Enjoy....Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2013/05/18 15:51:48
agnesrob
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/15 20:38:31
Nice recipe, I will definitely give it a try. Thanks Russ!
Bossa Nova
Hamburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/01/25 21:46:04
I am sad to report that Frankly Burgers and More in Freehold is closed for good.  They served natural casing Best dogs (Syds and Dons) prepared in a variety of ways and also made a good Italian hot dog.  They never reopened after Sandy caused them to lose all of their inventory.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/01 07:30:22
I took a trip to Best Provisions to buy some natural casing hot dogs. I was in the area, so on the spur of the moment, I drove over to World's First Italian Hot Dog. This is where the original Jimmy Buff's opened in 1932. It was sold in 1974 and renamed Lou's. Sold by Lou to one of his employees in 2000 when the name was again changed. I was there twice in 2006 and back again today.

Everything is done like it was years ago. They have the tilted steel pan like JB's, Tommy's and other's use. It is visible in the front. I ordered a single since I had eaten breakfast an hour earlier. Very good, and as far as comparing it to other places, I would say it was similar to Jimmy Buffs in West Orange. But better. The dogs (Best) are bigger and the bread is better. I asked Najee, the owner, where the bread is from. He didn' t remember the name of thebakery, but said it was a nearby Portugese bakery. The potatoes were cut in slices; thicker than most, and drier rather than greasier. The peppers were mixed in with the onions. I requested no onions, so rather than pick the peppers out of the onion mix like West Orange Buffs dors, Najee threw in a fresh batch of peppers and kept them to the side. I believe JB's in Kenilworth does the same.

I would put World's first up there with the better IHD's. Certainly the best in Newark. Better than Dickiee Dee's, Paul's, and the other's, though I like Paul's. Better then JB's West Orange, but not JB's Kenilworth. Up there and in the same class as my favorites; namely JB''s Kenilworth, Tommy' s, and Big Blues. Marci's, my absolute favorite is currently unavailable, but will be when they reopen soon.

Another thing to consider is the value at World'sFirst. $5.85 for a double. $2.00 less than the going rate. Only Big Blues is comparable. They also offer a single on half a loaf of pizza bread (like a double) with all the ingredients you get with a double.

Today's Star Ledger has a nice article and pictures of Best Provisions. They are celebrating 75 years. I can't find a link to the article to share here. I e-mailed Pete Genovese for one; maybe he will provide one. I recommend getting the Ledger today.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/01 11:50:12
Enjoyed the Star-Ledger article, John. In the article Best says one big ingredient that makes their product so great is Newark NJ water!! How much, do you think,does the water influence the final hot dog?? I've been wondering since reading the article. Is the Jo-Jo's hot dog on route 37 in Toms River still a Best dog as the artice stated?
 I wasn't very impressed with its taste when I went there last fall...strange spicey taste.
      Lee
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/01 15:27:28
Jo-Jo's is still using Best. I spoke to the owner today. I believe the water does make a difference. I was told this by the plant manager of Best. He also told me that Hebrew National (Con Agra) moved the plant where their hot dogs are made in order to be near a better water source..

Here is the link to the article. It wasn't up earlier when I looked.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/its_all_beef_at_best_-_newark.html#incart_more_business
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/01 17:34:05
That's very interesting. Never thought about water being a factor...but it makes much sense...considering the many regional items created with the superb water supply.
JERSEYFONT
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/04 19:46:22
Visited for the first time, the new hot dog place called "Hot Dogs and More" om Morris Ave. in Springfield, ...just the owner Jim" was there....
I had a double dog and what impressed me initially was the potatoes were the best I ever had !!!....cut along the same lines as Tommy's in Elizabeth, only crisp....and I like crisp !.....the peppers and onions were sparse but done perfectly, the dogs as I was told were Hebrew National which weren't bad, in fact cooked well and fresh, but if it's a choice between Best or Hebrew National that would be a tasters own opinion,....he sells hots dogs on the bun, and mentioned that he is negotiating for Hummels,...I happened to mention to him that my all time FAVORITE dog on a bun was the now defunct Syds, formerly of Newark (1941) and late of Millburn (1967) , he seemed interested in the fact that Syds sold the same Best dog successfully for many many years, and I informed him that I did not know honestly how well he would do if he had them on his menu, but they had a terrific following at one
time...also telling him the many times I was standing in line on Chancellor Ave in Newark waiting to buy several (or more) on Friday and Saturday evenings........he's a gentleman and easy to talk to and I hope he does well.
JERSEYFONT
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/06 23:39:08
Bought a new (to me) hot dog chili today from Kings.....It's called
"Custard Stand Hot Dog Chili with Beef",  in a one lb. container and it is very good.....better than some home made chili from stores, carts or trucks.....in fact I had a cup full without the dog,.....made by the same family over 90 years, with no additives or preservatives, and what's good  is you can add as much heat as you want .........
Yankeedoodle
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/07 01:27:58

Tried putting a link to Custard stand hot chili but it would not show. 

custardstand.com is the sites URL
post edited by Yankeedoodle - 2013/02/07 06:20:53
JERSEYFONT
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/09 08:20:44
I went back to Kings to buy two more containers, and they do have a website, in fact 5 customer reviewers all gave it 5 out of 5 "stars"
....you can not only add more heat, but onions, peppers etc......I like it as is.....BTW, they only, for  now,  sell it at Kings and Balducci's only
agnesrob
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/09 08:27:22
JERSEYFONT, I've seen that at my local Kings. I'll definitely give it a try. Lately I have been using Tony Paco's hotdog sauce which I can buy at The Fresh Market.
JERSEYFONT
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/09 09:02:18
Let me know how you like it..........
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/27 17:54:19
JerseyFont, 

Are you sure of the location for Hot Dogs and More? You say they're on Morris Avenue in Springfield, N.J. I was under the impression that hot dog establishment was somewhere in Middlesex County. Are you confusing two places? Please clarify. Thanks.

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/27 19:51:54
Hot Dogs and More is Lori and Bob's. They are changing the name. It's on Morris Ave.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/27 20:26:03
Oh. Thanks. 

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/27 20:29:57

Yesterday I stopped by Munce's truck on St. Georges Ave. in Rahway to sample the new butcher shop dog that owner Stuart Burnett recently started serving. Munce's is one of the better places serving dirty water Sabrett's. In my top 3 along with Marci's and Dees. All serve fresh, hot, natural casing Sabretts at a decent size; not the tiny 11 and 12/1 that most serve. The toppings are very good also. Stu's chili is one of my favorites.

I expected to like the new frank that he gets from a butcher shop. Out of the dozens of franks that I've had from European style butcher shops, pork stores, and deli's; all have been very good with one exception. That being the nitrate free frank from the Haledon Pork Store. But the dog I had yesterday far exceeded my expectations. In fact it may be my favorite butcher shop frank. And that's saying a lot since I regularly get franks from Kocher's and the Union Pork Store, 2 well known places for homemade franks.

What I had at Munce's was between 8 and 9 to a lb. This is a size that is specially made just for him. Many places falsely claim a specially made frank. In fact, it is the biggest lie in the business. In this case it is true. The dog had a nice soft casing which appeared to be collagen. That's good since it makes for a uniform size. With sheep or hog casings you get size variation. My dog was placed on a fresh, quality steamed bun and topped with mustard only. The dog was delicious. Great texture with a mild smoky flavor. Snappy, juicy, tasty, and balanced. Surprisingly good in water as the less aggressively spiced dogs don't usually taste great in water. I usually heat these types of dogs in water first, then use a griddle or skillet to finish them off. This particular dog tasted better in water than any butcher shop dog I've prpepared in water. I got one cold to take home just to see how it would taste in a skillet or on a griddle.

I highly recommend this dog. I don't know if Stuart will be serving it as well as Sabrett, or if he will be replacing Sabrett with it. But definitely check it out when you get a chance.
post edited by John Fox - 2013/02/27 20:35:54
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/28 08:38:17
Thanks for the tip, John. I've always liked Munce's truck, even though I've only been there maybe 3 or 4 times over 10 years. Looks like I'll be adding to that total soon.

Do you know who is making these new dogs? Since you didn't mention it, maybe it's not for publication.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/02/28 21:13:31
Correct.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/03/17 09:25:22
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/hot-dogs-haute-dogs-nyc-article-1.1285371?comment=true

A link to a Daily News article on the current "haute dog" trend which I despise. Below is what I posted on Hot Dog Nation:

I don't really care for this current "haute dog" trend as well as chefs getting involved with hot dogs. I just posted about this on Roessler's facebook page in response to a link posted there on the same subject. A lot of what I posted is from some of my previous posts and comments. I'll cut and paste it below. One reason places do this is to drive up the price. Let me quote Holly Moore from the book Man Bites Dog. Holly, like myself prefers the minimal sausage because he doesn't think that "mixtures of flavors ought to be forced on a beautiful hot dog." The true hot dog is the product itself; the fancy ones are inauthentic. Hot dog establishments do this for several reasons. "One is that toppings can drive up the check so that you can sell a three dollar hot dog for five with junk on top of it. Second, the owner is not confident in just the hot dog and thinks that they have to do more to get any sales."

What follows are my opinions on the haute dog trend. Warning: it's a pretty long rant you may want to skip.

Not a fan of the trendy new "haute dogs". A hot dog is a simple unpretentious food. The focus should be on the meat and spices, not on esoteric junk that bored faux chefs use to amuse themselves and try to convince others how creative they are. These fancy pants ingredients detract from the frankfurter, which should be the focus of the experience. I can see them laughing at old school Jersey hot dog joints like Rutts Hut and Charlies Pool Room and questioning the manliness of these designer haute dogs. Or as a friend calls them, alternative lifestyle hot dogs. You don't buy a hot dog called a haute dog and you don't get it from a fancy chef. You get it from a guy in a tank top with hairy arms who is probably named Nick or Vinnie. Guys like this have sense enough not to use white truffle butter and duck foie gras.

The hot dog is an icon and an important part of American culture. People don't want it messed with. Two unfortunate souls in New Jersey (the hot dog capital of the world) learned this lesson the hard way. They tried to bring the "haute dog" concept here with predictable results. After much hype and fanfare plus glorious reviews by the biased liberal media, the place was struck by lightning! A sure sign from above and a warning to cease their foolishness. They did not listen, and as a result their business died a slow miserable death. The guys were never heard from again.

It was so bad that the rats and pigeons wouldn't even eat the left over scraps from the "haute dogs" that were in the dumpsters. Even rats and pigeons have standards!

Contrast this to Rutt's Hut, an old school Jersey hot dog legend. You can't even get across the parking lot without encountering pigeons who are so bold that they try to take bites of hot dogs from people who are walking to their cars. These pigeons are so brazen that they routinely shake down rats for lunch money.

Any faux "chef" would be appalled upon enetering this stronghold of American hot dogs. The decor hasn't changed since 1928. The only toppings you can get on your dogs would be mustard and Rutt's special relish. No kraut, no chili, no foie gras. If you ask, they not so politely tell you to go somewhere else. They stick to what made them a legend. Their loyal customers wouldn't stand for any frivolous changes. By the way, their relish is like no other and goes perfectly with their deep fried dogs. Created by an old German gentleman rather than some fancy pants "haute" chef. None other than the bambino himself, Babe Ruth, used to eat at Rutt's Hut.

While todays "haute" ballplayers perform on steroids and amphetamines, the Babe, a true American hero, did it on hot dogs and beer from Rutt's Hut.

I find articles like these amusing. And I realize there are people who like these things. I just enjoy poking fun at what I consider a pretentious trend. For me the frankfurter is what I'm looking to enjoy. When you have all these other things masking the flavor of the actual frank, you might as well use a cheap dog. I call these creations witness protection dogs because it's hard to determine their true identity. When I enjoyed a Roesller's dog at Rawley's some 11 years ago, I had it with mustard only. I focused on the taste, spicing, preparation, and how hot the dog was. Everything else is secondary. Today when you see a hot dog establishment reviewed, you rarely hear what brand is served, if it has a casing, if it's all beef or a beef/pork blend, how it's prepared, whether grilled, fried, heated in water, or some combination. Instead the focus is on the toppings and other secondary things such as cute nicknames for the different dogs. By and large, they have it backwards. If you don't start with a quality frank, it doesn't much matter what you do to it. If you do have a quality frank, it doesn't need more than a bare minimum of toppings that enhance rather than take away from the flavor of the hot dog. Not everything needs to be gussied up. I don't want a chef anywhere near my hot dog. With regards to hot dogs, less is definitely more.
Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/03/19 15:22:26
Hello all ,
Thanks for sharing this John , an interesting read for sure .
Just tried the Original Slawsa that was sent to me and it is comparable to Mista Dales  as well
Are there any here in nY/NJ area that are similar ?
Besides making a visit to Rutts Hutt of course thanks
Benzee
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/03/31 15:09:18
The other day I stopped for a couple of hot dogs at a place I stumbled upon on the internet that I don't recall hearing about before. Sabretti's Hot Dogs in Hopatcong.

It's another of those places that specialize in various toppings. I'm more old-school myself, I just like the standards: chili, onion sauce, or sauerkraut, or sometimes just plain mustard.

Anyway, I had the two dogs and soda special @ $4.99. The dogs, Sabrett natural casing, were small, I'd guess 10 or 11 to a pound, but very well prepared, dirty water style (which is fine with me for this type of dog), hot and tasty. They offer two types of chili, regular and spicy wild boar (!). I opted for a regular chili dog and a kraut dog. The chili was mild, but tasty, the kraut was good too.

It's a small storefront type place, with a few small tables. Lake Hopatcong Park is just down the road, for a nice scenic lunch spot if you do take out.

They only offer a few other items, and no sides at all, except potato chips.

I'd go back if I was in the area, the dogs were indeed very tasty, but next time I'd get three dogs, I was still a little hungry after just two and no sides.

Here's the website with the various hot dog options etc.
http://sabrettis.com/

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/03/31 17:32:46
Wild Boar (!) chili indeed. Not something we see every day.

The website is very cute. The "get the fork outta here" is just backwards.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/04/24 16:40:35
I stopped for lunch at Munce's truck by Rahway River Park in Rahway today, expecting to try out the Special Dogs that John Fox mentioned here a couple of months ago. The news is that they are no longer serving them. Stuart said his regular customers didn't like them and he was losing business. After an initial order of 50 lbs he didn't renew the order. Oh well, I had 3 of the regular dogs ( 2 kraut, 1 Chili, $2 each) and they were very good as usual.

Stuart told me I could probably still buy the dogs at the Syrena Polish deli on St. George Ave where he got them (he said it wasn't a problem divulging the name since he was no longer using them) . He mentioned they were a special 80/20 Beef/pork blend. 

They apparently are no longer making them. I say apparently because there was a real language barrier with the young Polish Girl at the meat counter and I couldn't really follow her explanation of what happend to them. Anyway, the only franks they had were large "picnic" style pork franks, thin 100% veal franks, and a Veal/pork blend stubby type frank. I bought 2 pounds of those, they look great (and only $1.99/lb!, as were the other two types), and I will try them over the weekend. But I was a little disapointed that I wasn't able to get the ones John raved about.
post edited by ken8038 - 2013/04/24 17:03:10
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/04/24 19:27:47
Ken,
         I found out they switched back when I stopped by last Saturday. Stu wasn't there, but the guy working for him told me. When I first had one of the dogs, Stu told me they were all beef. I told him they weren't as they were much too mild. I went to Syrena and spoke with the one guy there I could understand. The dogs he sold to Stu were the all veal franks. I don't know why he told you they were 80/20 beef/pork. He told me they were all beef until I went and verified it with Syrena. He had them make a smaller dog for him. He first was using their regular 8/1 veal dog, then had them make a 9/1 that is the same recipe. I've bought the veal franks and they are the same as what he used. I even got a few from him and compared them side by side. I've had all three from Syrena and I like the veal franks best. I would have guessed they were beef/pork. Stu said he wouldn't use a dog with pork because too many of his customers won't eat pork.

The pork franks and the pork/veal franks are $1.99 per pound. The veal franks are $2.99. Still a great price and very good dogs. I'm glad the cat is out of the bag so now others can enjoy these franks.

Another real good butcher dog I found is on Chestnut Street in Union. J&D Polish Mini Market is a small deli next to Mr. Sub and down the street from Carmens Bakery. They have a chicken dog they import from Chicago which I have no interest in, but an excellent veal/pork frank they get from a butcher in Bloomfield called Winding River. It's thick; about 1/3 to 1/2 pound and very good. They get their kielbasa from the same place. It was good as well. I just sampled a piece cold.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/04/24 19:32:21
Sorry for the double post. Can't delete one of them.

ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/04/24 22:41:00
Thanks for the additional info John. I'm not sure why Stu said they were 80/20 beef/pork. My guess is he just wasn't that concerned with the details since he wasn't serving them anymore. Next time I'm in the area, I'll definately pick up a pound or two from the Syrena Deli.  The prices are fantastic.

Thanks also for the tip on the Polish Deli near Carmen's Bakery. Although Carmen's is about 15 minutes away from me, it's the best Italian Bread in at least a 10 mile radius, so I go there every month or so, along with a side trip to Lioni's Factory outlet for fresh Mozz. 
Dan Bono
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/01 16:08:03
Hi All Did any one here eat the hot dogs at the Meadowlands Racetrack recently under the new owner?
They are much better tasting and thicker then old ones..I was told they were Nathans. I've never seen Nathans that thick..Any one have any information on these Nathans dogs?
Thanks Dan

David_NYC
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/03 18:02:04
Dan Bono

Hi All Did any one here eat the hot dogs at the Meadowlands Racetrack recently under the new owner?
They are much better tasting and thicker then old ones..I was told they were Nathans. I've never seen Nathans that thick..Any one have any information on these Nathans dogs?
Thanks Dan

Sounds to me like the Nathan's Dinner Bell franks. Some of the Shop Rites sell them in New Jersey:
http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Nathans-Famous/Dinner-Beef-Franks/16-oz/636906917045/

Dan Bono
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/03 19:01:36
Hi David I think your right on about Nathans Dinner franks. Some one at the racetrack said something a 4 per lb.
Problem is I haven't seen them in any my Shop Rites here in New Jersey.

Thanks Dan
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/10 09:46:35
I went to the new Rt 22 location of Charlies Italian Hot Dogs yesterday for lunch, as I had made several errand stops along Rt 22. Even though I had a pretty good idea where it was,  I drove right past the small strip mall it's in and missed it. Those of you who have ever driven on that stretch of Rt 22 in Union know what that means. A scary process of making two U-turns from the left lane of Rt 22 to loop back to that location. Look for the large vertical roadside sign that says "Hot Dogs", the store itself is hard to spot.

Even at that, it's a small strip mall, the entrance of which is about 30 feet before a heavily used right turn into a major shopping center, meaning that even though you have your right blinker on, people traveling at 50 miles per hour 10 feet behind you think you are turning into the shopping center and don't expect you to brake and turn 30 feet sooner. Not a fun process.

Anyway, I got there shortly before noon. There's only about 5 tables and they were all taken (a good thing, I guess, it means they are doing some business), so I got my order of a double Italian Hot Dog to go. Service was quick and made to order. A little expensive, $7, about a dollar more than most places, but reasonable enough.

As for the meal itself, I give them a pass on the fact that the potato discs were soggy, that's probably becuase I did take out, even though it only took me about 10 minutes to get home. My preference is potato chunks rather than the thick discs served here, but that's just a matter of taste. There were certainly plenty of them, and I cut them up to make chunks anyway. It was noticeably light on peppers and onions, but what there was was fine. Nothing to complain about on the dogs, natural casing Sabrettes done right. The bread was excellent and fresh, it held up nicely rather than falling apart.

I haven't been to the Kenilworth location in years, so I can't compare it to that, but all in all I'd rate it a notch below the Jimmy Buffs in Kenilworth, which is only about 5 minutes from Rt 22. My favorite within 1/2 hour of my house is still Big Blues in Linden.

post edited by ken8038 - 2013/05/10 09:50:45
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/11 20:05:49
Yup, it's right in just about the worst area of RT22 with the center island and people driving across three lanes to exit or u-turn.  Hairy!
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/13 20:36:24
Nancy and I made a stop at George's (formerly Petridi's) in Bayonne today-originally a cart from the twenties, it's on Broadway and 25th in downtown Bayonne.  Dirty water Sabrett's, 10 to the pound I'd say??, but they were quite hot and juicy and we had them with their tasty chili.  $1.90 each, they were pretty good value.  While not a 'destination' stop, we were in the area to see The Great Gatsby so decided to try them.  Hours later and there isn't any 'echo' taste, which to me says something.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/14 07:23:13
I didn't know Petridis was gone or changed their name. I was there only once; in 2006 with the Munchmobile. One of the guys on the panel grew up in Bayonne and Petrides was his favorite place. When we went the dogs were lukewarm and had lost flavor and snap from sitting in the water too long. There were 2 very young girls working there who seemed indifferent. I was told that this was an aberration and could believe it. Glad to see that you had a good experience. Was surprised to find out that my mother, who grew up in Jersey City had been to Petrides in the 50's.

Boulevard Drinks is fairly close by and in my opinion is one of the very best hot dog joints in the state. Out of over 100 different hot dogs sampled (we went to 87 places), Boulevard Drinks was voted 2nd best hot dog overall.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/14 07:25:55
A great hot dog blog by the Hotdogman, Rob Merlino. Rob has provided the best coverage we've had on the Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. There's a link to it somewhere on the site listed below. Rob profiles and reviews hot dog joints all over the country. Two New Jersey Hot Dog legends (Rutt's Hut and Jimmy Buff's) were visited today and will be featured in July in honor of National Hot Dog Month. Watch for it and enjoy this fantastic blog.

http://hotdogstories.com/
PS   I don't know why all my posts are showing up twice. I wish the moderators would fix this.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/14 10:28:38
Petridis just changed the name, same owners.  And the young gal didn't know anything about what she was serving-I asked how many dogs per pound, she didn't have a clue.  Boulevard is indeed a better place (which we visit whenever we go to the historic Loews theater in Journal Square) but we were in downtown Bayonne anyway so we thought we'd give it a shot.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/14 11:52:59
Petridis has been serving hot dogs in Bayonne...since the 1920s.

First from a cart on West 25th street (just off Broadway) to a very tiny walk-up (more than walk-in) storefront...a few doors off Broadway.

Up until the move to the corner of Broadway (current location) you could always count on them being as good as a hot dog from Boulevard Drinks.

Something did happen with the move. Different atmosphere & hit-or-miss hot dogs & service...with mostly teens at the counter that didn't know much about hot dogs.

George is the grandson of the original owner. I haven't been there in quite some time ...since Boulevard Drinks is always a hit.

I hope the name change is a good sign for Petridis. It's about time to get back to the quality of what I remember....years ago.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/14 17:08:30
Ken. 

If returning to Charlie's on #22 in Union, no need to take your life in your hands trying to make that turn into the place if traffic is bearing down on you from behind. Note that the back of Charlie's abuts to the parking lot of that huge shopping area containing Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Hence, merely pass Charlie's, go a little bit, make a right onto Springfield Road, go up a bit, turn right into the shopping center parking lot, and drive to the rear of Charlie's. Or, just go down Springfield Rd. from Kenilworth in the 1st place and turn into the shopping center lot.

Happy Motoring, 

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 07:57:12
The Board of Health closed the kitchen of Charlies Pool Room in Alpha and it has to stay closed until it is brought up to code. Those of us at Hot Dog Nation are trying to help them out.

Perhaps the most unique hot dog spot in the country. An iconic institution that has been unchanged for years. Now they are being given a hard time by the health dept. with all kinds of frivilous regulations. The place is clean and no one ever got sick from eating a hot dog there.

Help us save Charlies. You do not have to be a member of Hot Dog Nation to help. Send donations to Charlie's Pool Room, 1122 East Boulevard, Alpha, NJ 08865

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2013/05/charlies
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 08:02:46
The Board of health closed Charlie's Pool Room kitchen and it has to stay closed until it is brought up to code. We at Hot Dog Nation are trying to help them stay open.

Perhaps the most unique hot dog spot in the country. An iconic institution that has been unchanged for years. Now they are being given a hard time by the health dept. with all kinds of frivilous regulations. The place is clean and no one ever got sick from eating a hot dog there.

Help us save Charlies. You do not have to be a member of Hot Dog Nation to help. Send donations to Charlie's Pool Room, 1122 East Boulevard, Alpha, NJ 08865

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2013/05/charlies
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 09:05:09
I know there must be at least a couple of contractors who are regular visitors and friends of Charlie's Pool Room. It would be nice if they could take a look at what has to be done and perhaps roll up their sleeves foe Joe and John. Let's get this done.  Hang in there, boys!

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 09:14:48
I'm glad my message posted as I got notification of Screenbear's response although my post and his response are not showing up when I log in. Holler if you see this post please.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 09:21:41
It's on. 

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/17 09:34:53
Still can't see it. Guess I have to contact the moderators.
Jimmy Buff
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/18 01:18:04
John I have some equipment they may be able to use. Call me for a list. I would be happy to donate.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/18 07:39:50
Great. I spoke with Joe this morning. He will be in touch.
Page: << < ..31323334 > Showing page 31 of 34