Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/03 06:52:20 (permalink)
BigDaddysDogs

Hi Everyone. I am a new user to this site, but not new altogether.  My name is Brent and I am the owner of Big Daddy's Dogs. I have been on here many times to read all the hot dog related posts.  I love to read all the comments about the many great hot dog places in NJ and everywhere else. And of course the ones about Big Daddy's.  I will admit that I finally signed up on this site because I recently opened a new location in Pompton Lakes and thought this would be a great forum to make that known. Some quick information for those of you that may not have been to Big Daddy's yet. We are a "dirty water" dog establishment and use 12/1 all beef Sabrett dogs. At Big Daddy's, it's really about what goes on the hot dog, and we have a lot of choices there.  I charge $1.80 (includes tax) for a plain dog. However, I also charge the same price for a dog with any combination of the following toppings: sauerkraut (regular or homemade spicy), relish (sweet or spicy), cooked red onion (sweet or homemade spicy), raw onion, cheese, and potato.  For an additional $.20 you can add a slew of other toppings, including chili, chopped bacon, and homemade coleslaw. Also, I have a list of 13 specialty dogs including the taco, slaw, and the loaded potato skin for only $2.00. Oh yeah, and don't forget about the many different bottles of hot sauce.

Brent,

Welcome to Roadfood. I have been to your place in Little Falls, but I don't know if I met you or someone else, a partner perhaps. I was with the Star Ledger's Munchmobile team in 2006. Your dogs were liked by the team overall and finished 3rd in it's category of dirty water dog behind Donny's Dogs and Tony's Truck. Personally, and I say this respectfully, I didn't care for your dogs and I'll tell you why. We sampled franks from over 87 places. Many were dirty water Sabretts. When judging this type of dog, I look for 3 things that set one apart from another. These things are important to me. One is natural casing. A dog like Donnie's, while a good size at 10 to a lb, is skinless and lacks the snap of a natural casing. I'll always rate a dog with a casing over a skinless dog, except in the case of an Italian Hot Dog. Your dogs had a nice snap.

Second thing is if the dog is served hot enough. I don't like dogs served warm. At your place, my dog wasn't served hot enough, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because I was the first one in and everyone else had dogs that were hot. The third thing is size. For me, the best size for a dirty water dog is 8 to a lb. I love the dogs at Jerry's in Elizabeth, not only because of their size, but I prefer Best's to Sabrett's, and until recently, these dogs were $1.50 plain or with toppings. Now they are $1.75, which is still a decent value for an 8 to a lb dog plain or with any combinations of toppings. These dogs are so good, I get them with just mustard. However, with a Sabrett dog, the casing isn't tight enough on an 8 to a lb dog, so I prefer a 10. Anything smaller in my opinion is too small.

I appreciate your honesty in stating "at Big Daddy's it's really about what goes on the hot dog." For many people this is the case. Which is why your place came in 3rd and Donnies came in 1st. The two of us on the panel who place the emphasis on the dog rather than what goes on it, both picked Jerry's for 1st place. Now I'm not against some toppings, but I believe they should complement rather than mask the flavor of the dog. Occasionally I have a chili dog or a mild tasting ripper from Rutt's Hut with their unique relish. But 90% of the time I have my hot dog with mustard only. I love the flavor of a quality frankfurter, served hot with a natural casing. At a good size. And ideally at a good price. Although some people love hot sauce, I feel they don't belong on a hot dog. They are overpowering (Colon Cleanser?!) and mask the flavor of the dog. You might as well use a cheap Bar S dog. Again, this just represents my opinion and those of some hot dog lovers who I consider traditionalists or bare bones. You are in business to make money and there are all kinds of tastes. I'm sure there are many kids (and some adults) who come in and demand ketchup to desecrate their hot dog. If you won't give it to them, someone else will.

If I go to a place like yours that offers a lot of toppings, I'll just order a dog with mustard. I might have a chili dog on occasion if the chili is good. Even at Amazing Hot Dog, which in my opinion has the best homemade toppings, I get a dog with mustard most of the time. But a pet peeve of mine is when someone serves a tiny dog (smaller than 10 to a lb), especially when they charge as much, or in your case more than what others are charging for a bigger dog. Granted, most of your customers may not notice, but many people, especially those who read and contribute to this site do.

Assuming that your dogs are served consistently hot (which I've been told) and knowing that they have a casing, and are a quality brand, I would say that I could go and enjoy a couple of dogs there. But when there are places like Dee's in Roselle Park that serve a 10 to a lb dog and charge $1.50, guess where I'm going? Even though I prefer the 8 to a lb Best dog served at Jerry's, I get a craving for a spicy Sabrett now and then. But I refuse to buy a tiny cocktail frank when there are bigger dogs to be had that are less expensive.

As a serious hot dog lover what I would look for in a new place would be a quality natural casing dog served hot and no smaller than 10 to a lb and no more expensive than $1.75. $1.80 for a 12 to a lb dog plain is too expensive. I can understand charging more for toppings (even though others don't) but if someone doesn't want toppings, why charge the same price?

Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City is the one exception where I'll go out of my way for a 12 to a lb Sabrett. But here it is prepared on a griddle, which imparts more flavor than a pot of water, and the last time I was there, it cost $1.25. Since Papaya King came to New Jersey serving 10 to a lb Sabretts on a griddle, I stopped going to Boulevard Drinks as often. And you can get these dogs for 99 cents for a 2 or 3 hour "Happy Hour" period in the afternoon.

Even though I won't patronize your new place (unless you offer a bigger dog and/or lower your price) I wish you luck. There are probably enough people out there who agree that "it's what goes on the dog" that's more important than what I stated.
BigDaddysDogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/03 21:48:18 (permalink)
adeptone

What are your hours at the new place?  And does the challenge exist at the new establishment?

I am open Monday through Saturday from 10:30am to 5:00pm.

Thanks for asking about the Dirty Dozen Club. Yes, we will be doing the Wall of Fame for those who eat 12 or more dogs in one sitting. Also, the record will start anew in Pompton Lakes (the record in Little Falls is 25). Therefore, the first customer to eat 12 or more dogs in an hour will become the record holder. (Note: there is a one hour time limit for the record, but not to join the club).
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/03 21:59:31 (permalink)
Brent,
Where in Pompton Lakes is the new store? Best of Luck for the new location

Dave
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/08 18:50:44 (permalink)
Just wanted to post about our first cookout of the season today, featuring wursts from the Union Pork Store. Ususally when I buy German wursts I'm not happy unless I've driven to kingdom come and back (Philadlephia, North Jersey, Lehigh Valley). But Saturday I decided to stay local and drove all of 5.2 miles to the Union Pork Store.

As soon as I walked in I realized I had NEVER been there before. I'm not sure how I managed to miss it for 26 years of living in Union County. I've been to the other German butchers in Union and I guess I assumed I had been to Union Pork Store as well. 

Anyway, I bought 5 Bratwurst, 5 Hot Dogs and 5 Bauernwurst. My family and 2 guests agreed that the Bratwurst was the best we've ever had! And the dogs and Bauernwurst were right up there too.

I'm not sure why it took me 26 years to get there, but it won't take me another 26 years to get back.

http://www.unionporkstore.com/
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/08 23:00:33 (permalink)
I picked up a package of Thumann's 10/1 skinless all beef push cart style dogs at my local Shoprite. I cooked them "dirty water dog" style and topped them with spicy brown mustad and relish. Honestly I wasn't impressed. They had this weird taste to them that sort of reminded me of bologna. Maybe it's because I like spicier Hebrew National and Sabrett dogs. I don't know, Any thoughts?

Dave
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 08:43:09 (permalink)
Dave, I have experienced that problem with hot dogs that I was already familiar with. I attributed it to temperature abuse of the product.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 08:44:54 (permalink)
Dave,

I don't remember having the skinless 10's, but someone I know who included them in a taste test said that they were ok; middle of the road. A couple of years back the Pathmark in Garwood was selling the 8 to a lb natural casing Thumann beef dogs. These were pretty good; a little milder than Nathan's, Sabrett, Best, and Hebrew National. I wouldn't go out of my way for them when I have other choices that I prefer. The Thumann's beef and pork is the best dog they produce.

A couple of years ago I was at Crif Dogs in New York. I also visited Katz's, Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, and the original Nathan's on this particular day. Crif's serves the Thumann's deep fryer which is a pretty decent Rutt's Hut knockoff. They also serve what they call the New Yorker, which is an 8 to a lb natural casing Thumann's all beef dog prepared on a griddle. This is for New Yorkers who may not be familiar with the deep fried pork based Jersey style ripper. The beef dog was solid, but I preferred the griddled Sabrett's at Papaya King, Gray's, and Katz's, as well as the dog at Nathan's.

If you like a good dirty water dog to prepare at home, let me suggest going to the Best's factory. There you can get them with casing or skinless in any size (I like 8's) at a very good price. Or if you prefer Sabrett, you can go to any number of Sabrett distributors (I can give you a few) or Restaurant Depot and buy them for the same price that vendors pay for them. I prefer the Sabrett 10's to the tiny 12's (cocktail franks) that places like Sal's and Big Daddy's serve at extortionary prices. I get the Restaurant Depot mailing and sometimes you can get a 5 lb bag (10 to a lb) which is fifty dogs for $10.00. This comes out to about 20 cents for a 10 to a lb dog. A dozen food service rolls for 2 bucks or less adds another 20 cents or less. When you prepare these dogs at home, if you bring a pot of water to a boil, turn off the gas, put the dogs in and cover and leave for 5 to 7 minutes, you get a dog that is hot with a good snap and as good or better than what any hot dog vendor can prepare for a lot less.

Ken,

The Union Pork Store has the best reputation of the pork stores in Union, especially among the older people. This is because they carry products (most of which I've never even heard of) that other places discontinued. Their bratwurst is the best I've ever tasted and I've had Usinger's.  Their franks are very good. They are loosely packed liked Thumann's and most other butcher shops that don't employ a technique called vacuum chopping which sucks air out of the meat mixture. Since these places don't do this, their franks are more tender and lend themselves to faster cooking. They taste best prepared on a griddle or skillet. I usually heat in water for 5 minutes, then finish off on low heat in my cast iron skillet.

Just 2 days ago I compared a frank from Lutz's with one from the Union Pork Store. Both excellent. I would say they are equal in quality. Mild, tender, juicy, and tasty. When I want a German style frank, I go to one of these places because I don't have to buy a whole pack. The only other place I can do this is Wegman's, but it is a much longer ride.

Lutz's is open on Sunday from 10 to 2 Pm which is convenient for me since I work Saturdays.
post edited by John Fox - 2009/04/16 07:07:59
Arutha5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 11:22:28 (permalink)
John, can you post a list of the Sabrett distributors in the area.  I've been to the one in Newark, but if you know of one in either Toms River or edison areas please post it.  Thanks
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 11:48:45 (permalink)
The closest one to Edison, and the largest Sabrett distributor in Central Jersey is A&L Provisions located at 3143 Bordentown Ave. in Parlin. You can also get some of the better mustards, Hatfield N.Y. style deli dogs and other products.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 14:59:45 (permalink)
<<They are loosely packed liked Thumann's and most other butcher shops that don't employ a technique called vacuum chopping which sucks air out of the meat mixture. Since these places don't do this, their franks are more tender and lend themselves to faster cooking. They taste best prepared on a griddle or skillet.>>

Thanks John for the explanation on the method of making the franks and bratwurst. I did notice that ones from the Union Pork Store grilled more quickly than I epected.

I think the question of how to cook them is a matter of taste. Me, I almost always prefer grilling to using a griddle or skillet, although if I'm having Sabretts I like them better prepared using the "dirty water" method.
BigDaddysDogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/09 21:59:59 (permalink)
DPuro329

Brent,
Where in Pompton Lakes is the new store? Best of Luck for the new location

Dave

What's up, Dave?  Thanks.  The store is located at 254 Wanaque Avenue.  As in Little Falls, look for the blue and yellow Sabrett umbrella on the sidewalk.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/10 07:54:25 (permalink)
ken8038

<<They are loosely packed liked Thumann's and most other butcher shops that don't employ a technique called vacuum chopping which sucks air out of the meat mixture. Since these places don't do this, their franks are more tender and lend themselves to faster cooking. They taste best prepared on a griddle or skillet.>>

Thanks John for the explanation on the method of making the franks and bratwurst. I did notice that ones from the Union Pork Store grilled more quickly than I epected.

I think the question of how to cook them is a matter of taste. Me, I almost always prefer grilling to using a griddle or skillet, although if I'm having Sabretts I like them better prepared using the "dirty water" method.

Ken,

I also prefer grilling most of the time, especially with dogs that are more tightly packed, which would be most brands. To me, nothing beats a 5 to a lb natural casing Best (Syd's dog) that has been heated in water and finished off on the grill. If you buy these at Best's (2 lb minimum) and factor in the cost of a bun, it comes to between 80 and 90 cents for a top quality dog that is twice as big as a 10 to a lb dirty water dog and more than twice the size of a 12 to a lb cocktail frank that you pay more than double the price for at a lot of places. This is why I enjoy hot dogs at home a lot rather than going out for them. And if you do it yourself, you'll never have to worry about a dog not being prepared hot enough or not to your liking. Also if you feel like making the trip to Pechter's, they have the best hot dog buns (better than Sabrett) at 99 cents for a dozen.

I also think a grilled dog is better than one prepared dirty water style. I do enjoy dirty water dogs. Jerry's is unique because they they heat their dogs in water and then put them in a steel compartment (like a griddle) to give them added crunch. The texture and flavor of these dogs (Best) is better than any dirty water Sabrett. At least in my opinion. I'd like to add Jerry's to the Hot Dog Tour again this year.

Practically all butcher shop dogs are tender (loosely packed) because they do not suck air out of the meat mixture. Thumann's is a larger commercial dog that also doesn't do this. As a result, unless you grill on low heat, these dogs can get over done real quick. For this reason I prefer to prepare Thumann's, Lutz's, and Union Pork Store dogs on a griddle after heating them in water. Since I'm lazy sometimes; especially after enjoying a few beers at night, I put the dogs in a skillet on low heat.

As for Sabrett, they are good in water because of their intense spicy flavor. Not as good on the backyard grill in my opinion as some other beef dogs like Best, Boars Head, Usinger's, or Nathan's. But they are exceptional on the griddle. This is the dog used at Papaya King, Gray's Papaya, Katz's Deli, and Boulevard Drinks at Journal Square in Jersey City.

It's time to start thinking about the upcoming New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. I already have some ideas. There will be a new place opening up fairly close to our starting point that will be serving great dogs. I know the owner and what he will be planning to do. It will be a great stop. Also I'm pretty sure that the Union Street Fair will not be the same weekend as our Tour which will be Saturday, Sept. 26th. So I hope to be able to stop at Lutz's Pork Store which is an authentic German style butcher shop making outstanding franks, brats, and wursts on premise. As I mentioned previously, their German franks were named Reserve Grand Champion in a national competition last year. These are truly authentic German franks made on premise from whole cuts of beef and pork with absolutely nothing artificial added. The owner will have some for us to sample. And you can buy some loose if you wish. These franks are so good and fresh that they need nothing more than a little mustard to best be enjoyed. Here it is all about the high quality meats and wursts.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/10 08:30:06 (permalink)
John, thanks for the additional information. I'm looking forward to this year's tour.

<<Also if you feel like making the trip to Pechter's, they have the best hot dog buns (better than Sabrett) at 99 cents for a dozen. >>

Good call, that's exactly what we used for buns and also thier rye bread on Sunday.

PS: I spotted a fast-food type place the other day on Park Av in South Plainfield called Munchies which had a big "Texas Weiners" sign in the window. I had been there several years ago and had a pretty good burger, but now I'm interested in trying thier Texas Weiners.  
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/11 07:09:52 (permalink)
There are a couple of Texas Weiners places in South Plainfield. I remember going to one on Park Ave. a few years ago. It might have been this one. There is also a small diner whose name I forget that is located near the end of Oak Tree Rd. Both of these places use the standard 6 to a lb Grote & Weigel Griddle Frank.

On a personal note, my brother passed away last Friday after a long battle with cancer. He was 44. When we shared a room in our teens and early 20's we used to make late night food runs after watching Mets games. My brother ate a lot of hot dogs, but wasn't really discerning and didn't care too much about the brand or preparation. He went to the closest place which was a hot dog cart a few blocks away from where he lived. Years ago there was a really good cart in that location, but the one that took over some years later serves skinless Sabrett's usually lukewarm. A common, run of the mill cart.

I took him one day to Rutt's Hut for a totally different experience and warned him that opinions vary greatly on this place. I said to be prepared to either love these dogs or hate them. He loved them. So much so that he went back on his own and later with friends. He was going there more than I was and more than once called me on his way while he was lost asking me to get him there. We also went together a few times.

After awhile his stomach bothered him while driving in the car. I always wanted to have lunch with him and promised to go somewhere local where he didn't have to spend much time in the car. One day he called me and said he was enjoying a rare good day and wanted to go to Rutt's. He weighed about 100 pounds by now, but had a couple of beers for the first time in over a year and wolfed down 3 dogs, which was a lot for him. Some days all he would have was soup.

The last few months of his life he couldn't eat or talk. He was fed intravenously and communicated by writing. He loved to  watch the Food Network and Travel Channel. One day he was watching the Travel Channel and happenned to look up to see me talking about hot dogs on the Hot Dog Paradise Program. He was so surprised that he started banging on the television to get my father's attention. My father thought he was in distress.

I asked my brother why he watched shows about food since he couldn't eat solid food. He told me that he enjoyed these programs. I asked him if he missed eating and he said he did. He said the one thing he craved was those Rutt's Hut dogs with relish and regretted that he couldn't go with me one more time for some beer and a couple of dogs.

I'll go this week and enjoy a few dogs and beers in his memory.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6243
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/11 08:25:33 (permalink)
John,I'm so sorry ...I've said a prayer for your brother and your family. God Bless.
                         Lee
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/11 08:49:24 (permalink)
44. Wow. John, that's so sad. My condolences to you and your family. Take a minute to savor the  memories of good times and good food shared with your brother. Enjoy those dogs.  --Ken
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/11 09:09:00 (permalink)
Lee and Ken,

Thanks. I just got finished reading an article about Central Jersey Hot Dogs. Matt from Amazing Hot Dog is pictured in the article and his place is featured. Link here: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20090310/LIFE09/903100332

Geenie's Weenies grills a 6 to a lb Thumann's beef and pork (the griller, not the deep fryer) and then deep fries it.

The place in Somerset (I forget the name) serves an 11 to a lb dirty water Sabrett.

I haven't been to either place yet, but I'll probably check out Geenie's. One of the few places that I know of that serves the Thumann's griller. You can get it prepared on the griddle without it being deep fried if you wish. The place in Somerset I'll probably pass on. I don't care for dogs smaller than 10 to a lb. The owner told me that his chili is good. Might be worth checking out if you are a chili dog lover. John Sagi, this place is close to you.

J&G's serves the standard Grote & Weigel griddle frank. 6 to a lb beef and pork. The chili was liked by most S.W.A.T. Team members. I thought it was too spicy and had big pieces of onions in it which I hate.

Amazing Hot Dog is one of the best hot dog joints in Jersey or anywhere else for that matter. A delicious 4 to a lb natural casing Sabrett that is deep fried and put on a Martin's potato roll. Prepared perfectly, this dog is hot, very juicy, with a great casing. Bite into one and the taste and juices explode in your mouth. I like mine with mustard, but they have one of the 5 or so best chili's I've sampled along with the widest variety (and best quality) of homemade toppings of any hot dog joint I've been to. I've sampled many of these toppings sepparately on the side.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5116
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/11 09:37:55 (permalink)
John Fox

On a personal note, my brother passed away last Friday after a long battle with cancer. He was 44. When we shared a room in our teens and early 20's we used to make late night food runs after watching Mets games. My brother ate a lot of hot dogs, but wasn't really discerning and didn't care too much about the brand or preparation. He went to the closest place which was a hot dog cart a few blocks away from where he lived. Years ago there was a really good cart in that location, but the one that took over some years later serves skinless Sabrett's usually lukewarm. A common, run of the mill cart.

I took him one day to Rutt's Hut for a totally different experience and warned him that opinions vary greatly on this place. I said to be prepared to either love these dogs or hate them. He loved them. So much so that he went back on his own and later with friends. He was going there more than I was and more than once called me on his way while he was lost asking me to get him there. We also went together a few times.

After awhile his stomach bothered him while driving in the car. I always wanted to have lunch with him and promised to go somewhere local where he didn't have to spend much time in the car. One day he called me and said he was enjoying a rare good day and wanted to go to Rutt's. He weighed about 100 pounds by now, but had a couple of beers for the first time in over a year and wolfed down 3 dogs, which was a lot for him. Some days all he would have was soup.

The last few months of his life he couldn't eat or talk. He was fed intravenously and communicated by writing. He loved to  watch the Food Network and Travel Channel. One day he was watching the Travel Channel and happenned to look up to see me talking about hot dogs on the Hot Dog Paradise Program. He was so surprised that he started banging on the television to get my father's attention. My father thought he was in distress.

I asked my brother why he watched shows about food since he couldn't eat solid food. He told me that he enjoyed these programs. I asked him if he missed eating and he said he did. He said the one thing he craved was those Rutt's Hut dogs with relish and regretted that he couldn't go with me one more time for some beer and a couple of dogs.

I'll go this week and enjoy a few dogs and beers in his memory.

John, sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing a little about your brother and time you spent together. It was nice to read and see you thinking about fond memories.

Food_Fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/12 13:27:03 (permalink)
John,

I'm very sorry to read about your family's loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Rick
philygirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/12 15:28:07 (permalink)
   John,

Sorry to hear about your brother ~ I feel your loss as I lost my sister the same way, who was 44 yrs. old also.  But you'll always have the good memories in your heart.

Philygirl

DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/12 19:59:09 (permalink)
John,
My condolences to you and your family. Enjoy a beer and a ripper in your brothers memory.

Dave
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/12 20:00:05 (permalink)
Thank you all for your kind words.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1875
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/12 20:58:37 (permalink)
Hello John ,
Sent you an email buddy .
My condlolences on your loss , glad your appearance on TV gave some enjoyment to your brother in his final days .
Sat Sept 26th is indeed the tour date everyone .

Benzee
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/13 19:11:26 (permalink)
Hey John

I stopped by Geenie's Weenies today. I had their 6 to a lb Thumann's beef and pork (the griller) It was grilled properly and the chili was tasty.

I asked if I could taste the potatoes for the Italian Hot Dog and Bill Bliziotis the chef gave me a plate with the potatoes, peppers and onions cooked together. The potatoes were bite size, but they had a very good taste.

The Thumann's hot dog the way it was prepared reminded me of the hot dogs I had at the Old Heidelberg Inn in Keansburg, NJ, back in the early 1960's

I'd stop by again when in the area. 

Benzee

Put me down for the Hot Dog Tour on Sat Sept 26th

John

post edited by John Sagi - 2009/03/13 19:25:47
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/13 19:17:04 (permalink)
Tomorrow, Saturday March 14th will be the last day for Amazing Hot Dog in Bound Brook. I had heard through the grapevine that they would be closing soon. I stopped in today and found out that they will be closed for good after tomorrow.

Word had gotten out locally as the place was very busy, which is unusual for late afternoon after the lunch rush, as well it being a  Friday during Lent when observant Catholics don't eat meat. I got a chance to speak to Matt who confirmed that tomorrow will be the last day.

I am saddened that yet another great hot dog restaurant will be leaving us. In the last couple of years we have lost Syd's, all 3 Callahan's locations, Irvington's Jimmy Buff's, Eagan's, my favorite Connecticut place, Rosco's Big Dog, and now Amazing Hot Dog. I'm happy that I was able to enjoy one last delicious dog today. Although I'm not big on condiments, Amazing had the best homemade toppings in the business. One of the 5 best chilis I've had and one of the very best, if not the best french fries. Not to mention the best deep fried dog. The quarter pounder was consistently hot, fresh, and juicy. I had my final dog with some spicy brown mustard and a birch beer. It was voted best deep fried dog by the Munchmobile Team (of which I was a member and voted it #1) and best hot dog in N.J. by New Jersey Monthly magazine the last 2 years.

Matt and Eric put a lot of time, energy, and love into Amazing Hot Dog. It will be missed. Matt had a chance to say that now he will have a lot of free time to join us on some of our hot dog tastings. I wish him well.

I suggest you head up to Amazing Hot Dog tommorow for a last dog or 2. And those fries. But go early. They may close early if they run out of hot dogs.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/14 04:11:13 (permalink)
Why is Amazing Dog closing???
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/14 09:16:39 (permalink)
Matt didn't get into it, but I would guess it's the same reason that many other places are closing lately.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/14 09:38:51 (permalink)
John Sagi

Hey John

I stopped by Geenie's Weenies today. I had their 6 to a lb Thumann's beef and pork (the griller) It was grilled properly and the chili was tasty.

I asked if I could taste the potatoes for the Italian Hot Dog and Bill Bliziotis the chef gave me a plate with the potatoes, peppers and onions cooked together. The potatoes were bite size, but they had a very good taste.

The Thumann's hot dog the way it was prepared reminded me of the hot dogs I had at the Old Heidelberg Inn in Keansburg, NJ, back in the early 1960's

I'd stop by again when in the area. 

Benzee

Put me down for the Hot Dog Tour on Sat Sept 26th

John

John,

I went Thursday with my wife. They use a natural casing 6 to a lb Thumann's griller, which is one of my favorite beef and pork dogs. At least in my top 2 with Hartmann's. I'll be comparing them again on a griddle when Wegman's gets in another shipment of Hartmann's. They've been flying off the shelves.

I spoke with the owners; Gene (a woman despite the spelling) and her sisters. Although they chose the griller after sampling the deep fry dog made by Thumann's, they prepare the griller on a griddle and finish it off in a deep fryer. I ordered 2 dogs. One that I requested to be prepared on the griddle only (with mustard) and the other prepared the way they normally do it (grilled then deep fried). The second dog I asked for mustard, and chili on only half the dog. My order was wrong despite it being written down. Both dogs were topped with mustard, chili, (on the whole dog) and onions, which I absolutely hate. I sent them back and got what I wanted.

The place is tiny, but located on busy route 22. There were a lot of people coming and going. The chili was better than average. A nice sweet taste while being slightly spicy. I preferred the grilled dog to the one that was grilled and deep fried. My dogs weren't prepared particularly well. They weren't hot enough which is a big minus in my book. I would make a special request that the dogs be prepared well done if it makes a difference to you.

I like the fact that Geenie's is one of the rare places that serves the Thumann's Griller which is a great dog. I also like the price. $1.75 for a 6 to a lb dog, which is 5 cents less than 2 places I know of that sell cocktail franks half the size (12 to a lb). And these dogs are grilled and deep fried. The chili is worth trying.

All in all I have mixed feelings about this place. Dogs were ok, price is very reasonable, but the preparation wasn't good. Dogs were barely warm. This could be due to being new. I'll give them another chance to see if they prepare the dogs better. They are a little bit of a drive for me and not especially worth going out of my way for when I can get these dogs and do a better job of preparing them at home.

My wife had a cup of minestrone soup which she liked. She also had a bite of my dog with the chili. She liked the chili, but also said the dog was barely warm.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1875
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/14 15:39:26 (permalink)
Hello all ,

I'm sad to see Amazing Hot Dogs close also . They were fantastic hosts on our Hot Dog Tour a few years ago .

John Sagi I got you down for the Hot Dog Tour buddy

Benzee
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/15 12:38:26 (permalink)
Saturday the 14th I went out to a trip to the Paulinskill Viaduct in Hainesburg, NJ. On the way we spotted Hot Dog Johnny's (and Hot Rod's Hot Dogs). I  hadn't been to Hot Dog Johnny's since a little kid, so I thought we'd stop on the way back.

That place is horrible! I can't believe how he's still in business since 1944. I should have tasted the food before I bought a shirt, because now I don't want to wear the shirt. I know the sign outside says "Hot Dog" on it, but I didn't expect that's all they sell. There's no menu.. it's just hot dogs, fries, and drinks, which is okay by me, but the food is so bland and uninteresting.

On the hotdogs.. Their hot dogs seem to be nothing special brand wise. They're a little done on the outside and look like they have a nice crisp to them, but they don't. They're just darker colored and a little wrinkled. The inside is pink and a little cold.

On the toppings.. They have hardly any toppings. Mustard, relish, onions, and ketchup, which is fine, but I do like the choice of other things. A lot of times I like chili, cheese, and creative stuff. Mustard looks like your standard French's or similar type variety off the shelf.. nothing special. Same with the relish.

I wouldn't have minded having not much choice for toppings if the hotdogs themselves were good.

On the fries.. these were the most bland and untasty fries I've ever had! They did have a decent cook time to them, but it tasted like they reuse their peanut oil too much, and that flavor comes off as a little yucky. There was hardly any salt on the fries.

On the drinks.. soda, iced tea, nothing worth nothing... oh wait, fresh made buttermilk. I don't know if I can knock them on this. I don't totally like buttermilk. I mean, I loooove buttermilk on my mashed potatoes, and I do drink a glass occasionally, but the one here tastes like vomit a little.
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 34 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1