Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/15 20:18:01 (permalink)
Yuppicide,

I've posted many times regarding Hot Dog Johnny's. I think their dogs are mediocre and bland. The most overrated hot dog joint I know of. Yet people love this place. So I'm just a guy with a different opinion, and it's a good thing that so many people disagree with me (and you) otherwise Johnny's would be out of business. Instead places like Syd's and Amazing Hot Dog, which put out a superior product, are gone. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish to see anyone go out of business. Much of the appeal of Johnny's is the setting and atmosphere, which I feel should be discounted when judging the quality of a hot dog.

Some years ago a friend bought me a Hot Dog Johnny's tee shirt, not knowing my opinion of the place. I love it! It's so comfortable that I bought one for my son. He says it's his most comfortable tee shirt. AT the time they were only $6.00.

I also love wearing it because it elicits many opinions and is a great conversation starter. So are the other hot dog shirts I wear; especially the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour shirts. Most people see my HDJ shirt and comment on how good their dogs are. But a sizable minority have negative comments. These are mostly from strangers, so I'd bet that even more people who see the shirt don't like the dogs, but they feel funny saying something negative to a relative stranger. The last time I wore this shirt, I had a guy tell me that they were the worst dogs he's ever had.

About three weeks ago I was wearing it at the hospital while visiting my brother. There was a clergyman standing outside the room, but didn't want to wake my brother. We ended up talking and this guy is the pastor of a Presbyterian church in Linden. He told me that he's been to Johnny's while going to the Delaware Water Gap to hike. He said that he doesn't like the dogs or fries, but gets a birch beer. He also told me that there is a group of bikers from his church that makes the trip to Hot Dog Johnny's regularly. The minister said that he asked them why they travel so far when Father & Son Luncheonette is a few blocks away and serves much better dogs.

As I've mentioned many times, it's almost as fun listening to opinions and comments about hot dogs as it is eating them.

While I consider Hot Dog Johnny's to be bland and mediocre, Hot Rod's is one of the three worst hot dogs I've ever had. A blander, boiled, cheap tasting turkey dog.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/21 01:38:25 (permalink)
I agree..Hot Dog Johnny's is one of the most overrated hot dog joints in NJ. Hot Rods dogs are awful but I really like their chili.

Dave
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/21 06:13:17 (permalink)
When we went as a team to Hot Rod's, I ordered a dog the way they usually prepare it; mustard, onions, and pickles. Minus the onions. I took one or two bites and threw it out. Everyone else had the chili and raved about it. Unfortunately, I didn't sample it.

When it came time to vote and we got to the chili dog category, Hot Rod's chili was discussed as a possible top 3. But since their dog was so bad, it was decided that they wouldn't be considered for best chili dogs.

If you use a lousy dog, it doesn't matter what you do to it.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/28 11:03:52 (permalink)
I always enjoy eating at Hot dog Johnny's when I get the chance, the way they serve their dogs with mustard,chopped onions and pickle is one of my favorites. The consistency of their hot dogs served hot and fresh as well as their great french fries and the way they serve their root beer in those old fashioned glass mugs is why they have maintained a strong customer base for more than sixty years. It's been posted many times that the picturesque views may have a reason for some of their success, if that was the case why did King Cole Grove close up, they are just a few miles west of Johnny's with the same kind of atmosphere but they were not as successful. As far as ratings go, I understand that everyones tastes are different, it was sad to see Amazing Hotdog close again, but the changing of their product and inconsistent cooking of their dogs may have something to do with  the satisfaction of their customers. The same could be said for their fries, some people raved about them, when I first visited their Verona location a few years ago I thought they were ordinary and might have been left in the oil to long. Hopefully they can reopen with
better results in a new location.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/28 12:10:03 (permalink)
John..You know one thing I never asked you.  Have you ever had a skinless hot dog you liked?  Personally,  I haven't....
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/28 21:42:25 (permalink)
Baah Ben,

I prefer the natural casing dogs to the skinless. Except when it comes to Italian Hot Dogs. I don't want the "snap" to interfere with the synergy between the ingredients in this sandwich. Which is what it is, a sandwich. When it comes to hot dogs I prefer mine unencumbered with things that mask the flavor.

Although I prefer natural casing hot dogs, I do like the skinless version of quality brands. Simply because they are made from the same recipe as those with casing. They lack the snap and the slightly different taste from the casing dog which retains most of its juices. But Hebrew National is a quality dog. You can get it with a collagen casing if you look hard enough. Best, Sabrett, Nathan's, Usinger's Thumann's, are all good dogs skinless. But they are much better when they have a casing.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/30 20:02:13 (permalink)
  Today I went to Frankly Burgers and More for the first time. From reading the posts on another forum and asking questions, I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. I was not disappointed. Frankly Burgers was what I expected and then some.

I'm not the type that is very observant of my surroundings, prefering to look at the menu and the grill area. But I did notice that the place was clean and had pictures of the Jersey Shore on the walls. A nice looking litlle restaurant with a good atmosphere.

Before, during, and after eating I had the chance to talk with Carolyn and Ralph, who own Frankly Burgers and More. They've been open about 9 weeks. They are hands on owners who take a lot of pride in the food that they serve. Everything is cooked to order and extremely fresh. Customers are encouraged to request their dogs (and burgers) to be prepared how they want. As has been mentioned previously, you can get your burgers cooked on a griddle or chrbroiled on a grill. The franks are fried or grilled. Or you can have your dog char grilled. Ralph and Carolyn are not shy in contacting their current suppliers and new ones in order to have everything meet their high standards. They just had a bigger hot dog bun made for them, which better fits their longer dog.

I wanted to sample their many dogs and have them prepared differently. Also their burger. I didn't get to sample the burger or have a charbroiled dog. Next time.

I started off with the natural casing 6 to a lb dog. I had it griddled. It was served on a toasted New England style bun. The bun was perfect for this dog and of good quality. I have no preference between a regular bun or New England style as long as it is fresh and sturdy. Not like the supermarket brands that fall apart. You have a choice of Gulden's or French's mustard. I like the brown mustard (Guldens) on a beef dog. The dog was fresh, tasty, and juicy. Hot as well. I like that this place offers a Best natural casing frank griddled. I don't know of anywhere else that does. Father & Son in Linden used to. The brand is my favorite beef dog, and here it was prepared perfectly. It's one thing to serve a quality brand. That's only half of it. What a lot of places fail to do is to prepare it well.

Next I tried a single Italian Hot Dog. It was authentic, and along with Jersey Joe's in Port Monmouth, a place where you can get a real Newark Style Italian Hot Dog south of the Driscoll Bridge. JoJo's is in Toms River, but isn't nearly as good. Frankly Burgers use 8 to a lb dogs, which I prefer to any other size for this type of sandwich. They are natural casing which I look for in a regular dog, although I like skinless in an Italian. Again the dog was sufficiently hot and juicy. The peppers (red and green) were outstanding. Soft, fresh, and tastier than what you usually get on an Italian Hot Dog. Cut a little bigger too, which I liked. Ralph told me that he gets high quality peppers from a small supplier and makes them his own unique way. The ingredients are deep fried except for the peppers, which are cooked on the griddle. The potatoes are sliced thin and fried to a golden brown color. Very similar to the old Charlies Son's (not to be confused with Charlies Famous in Kenilworth), formerly of Union. The pizza bread was good. Although I prefer Carmen's and Sorrento's (East Hanover) this bread was solid and fresh. It's fresh because it's from a nearby bakery and ordered as needed. Since this restaurant is not primarily an Italian Hot Dog joint, it's hard to gauge demand. I think they made a wise choice in getting a local bakery to provide good fresh pizza bread.
All in all one of the better Italian Hot dogs in the state. Easily the best from a place that isn't primarily an Italian Hot Dog restaurant. I only had a single. I'll have to have a double to get a better idea since that is what I usually order.

The last dog I tried was the quarter pounder. Here it is usually ordered grilled. But I wanted to try one deep fried since I already had one griddled. I had mine with just mustard. This one was very good as well. Exactly like the old dog was at Amazing Hot Dog. It was hot enough and ripped open. This is fine since it is a thicker dog. Any less time in the fryer and it wouldn't have been sufficiently hot. I've had dogs this size less than hot in the past.

I also sample the chili (on the side) and some french fries. The chili was thick, slightly sweet, with a little spice in the background. A good homemade chili. Not the clovey, thin, sweet Texas Weiner type chili you see at many Passaic County places. Although I liked it, the juicy beefy dogs were so tasty that I prefer to have them here with mustard only. Maybe I would have it on the Schickhaus beef and pork dog . Another thing to try next time.

Lastly the fries. Cut fairly thin, they are fresh cut (not the cheap frozen Sysco fries) and delicious. In the same class as Amazing Hot Dog, Syd's, and Bubbas. It's nice that the fries here are top quality and not the cheap, frozen, empty calorie fries served at too many burger and hot dog joints.

I really enjoyed my lunch here yesterday. The food was great as was the service and preparation. The owners are passionate and care about quality and service. It's a trip for me, but worth it. I'll be back.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/30 22:49:30 (permalink)
Hey, John Fox!!
Guess what?!!?  I just went to Frankly Burgers today, one day after you were there..!
Before I even read this post of yours, Ralph told me that "hot dog lover" was in there!

I had the "half" Italian hot dog, and a charbroiled cheeseburger...
both excellent!!!
the pizza roll that the hot dog came in was PERFECT; not too bready, and so fresh!!
This was a coincidence that you were in there a day before me; it would have been even funnier if we were there at the same time! Poor Ralph and Carolyn would have hand their hands really full answering questions from both of us!

I met up with my sister there, as I was on my way to her house near Freehold...

I will post pics ASAP !!
I asked Ralph if you took any pics, and he said you did'nt, so let me take over, lol..

great narrative on Frankly Burgers; good job again, John!
I also had read some mixed reviews; apparently some were "disappointed"..
I really don't know why, as this place exceeded my expectations..

and YES, that Best's hot dog was very JUICY!!!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 06:00:13 (permalink)
Ellen,

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I never took any and wouldn't know how to put them online. I really should learn seeing that I've been to so many places. But that's what we got you for!

I didn't have room for a burger, but they looked good. The meat is fresh and ground at the restaurant. I glanced at some of the reviews I've seen, not really thinking this place served hot dogs despite the name "Frankly" Burgers. The frankly went right past me. Then I did happen to see a post that mentioned their dogs. Glad you enjoyed your lunch.
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 12:59:24 (permalink)
Hey John,

If you are in the area of North Plainfield, NJ my mom's place, Nanny's Kitchen, is serving up a hot dog special that day called a "Picnic Piggy." It is Thumann’s Jumbo Hot Dog topped with cheese, chopped onions, relish, mustard, potato salad & baked beans. Served with fries $6.99  The potato salad and beans are on the hot dog not on the side.  Just thought I'd let you know since it seems you are always looking for different kinds of hot dogs to try. 

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 14:39:21 (permalink)
fattybomatty

Hey John,

If you are in the area of North Plainfield, NJ my mom's place, Nanny's Kitchen, is serving up a hot dog special that day called a "Picnic Piggy." It is Thumann’s Jumbo Hot Dog topped with cheese, chopped onions, relish, mustard, potato salad & baked beans. Served with fries $6.99  The potato salad and beans are on the hot dog not on the side.  Just thought I'd let you know since it seems you are always looking for different kinds of hot dogs to try. 

Thanks. What is the address? Although I like visiting different places, I prefer my dog without everything on top. This way I can taste the flavor of a quality dog like Thumann's. How is it prepared? Is it skinless or does it have a casing?
fattybomatty
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 16:04:08 (permalink)
John,

It is located in Dante Plaza at 1040 Route 22 East in North Plainfield, NJ, directly across the highway from Siperstein's Paint.  The address was recently changed in town so if you google map or mapquest it they give you different locations than where it actually is. 

They are the skinless Jumbo Pork and Beef Franks.  I believe she will be grilling them, but you can request her to make it anyway you like.  Today the website has been down for some reason (I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with it) but here is the website URL for when it does start working again nanny's kitchen   And the phone number is 908-561-7003
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 18:45:37 (permalink)
Your narratives are so good, JOHN FOX, that you don't need any pictures, anyway!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 19:08:57 (permalink)
John and Ellen, thanks for the reviews of Frankly Burgers. That's one I'm definately adding to my list.

There was a review of another new place in last Friday's Star Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/dining/index.ssf/2009/03/exboxer_packs_a_wallop_with_a.html

John, I seem to recall you posting about a place with 12 to a lb. dogs and I'm thinking this may have been the place but I couldn't locate the post. In any event I'm going to give it a try next time I head down to Costco in Edison. If the dogs are that small I can get a couple and still have room for the fried chicken that Pete Genovese raved about.  
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/03/31 20:07:31 (permalink)
I spoke with Darron the owner a couple of weeks ago after I saw an article in the Courier News about Central Jersey Hot Dogs. I think I put the link in earlier in this thread. The dogs are 11 to a lb boiled Sabretts. I went to Genie's Weenies instead that day. Darron mentioned that his chili is popular. Pete Genovese liked it.
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/01 01:11:46 (permalink)
I visited Frankly Burgers and More on Tuesday. Not much more to add to John Fox's post.

I had the Best Hot Dog cooked perfect with mustard and chili. The chili was very good and tasty.

The fries reminded me of the Olde Heidelburg Inn in Keansburg. Made me want to buy some Malt Vinegar. Brought back memories.

I also sampled their homemade:
Manhattan Clam Chowder 
Coleslaw
Chili Con Carne
Beef Barley Soup

All were great

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/01 21:39:20 (permalink)
So, John Fox went to FRANKLY Burgers on Sunday, Ellen went on Monday, and John Sagi went on Tuesday!

This is too funny!
Reminds me of that movie "Serendipity", although in that movie they kept missing each other by minutes...

Here's a pic of my delish ITALIAN HOT DOG from FRANKLY BURGERS, Freehold, NJ
sb1
My FULL thread is in the HAMBURGER forum..
post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/04/03 11:22:04
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/02 16:30:04 (permalink)
That looks like regular eatin' chili, not "chili sauce" "Texas Hot Weiner Sauce", etc.  Is it?  I see that you mention that they serve chili.
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/02 17:59:02 (permalink)
Miami

They have two different chilis

The hot dog chili has no beans and fairly mild.

Their regular chlli has beans with a little heat.

Both were good
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/13 11:15:55 (permalink)
A short video of Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City. One of the best hot dog joints in the state. Griddled Sabretts since 1937. Opened when Sabrett was based in Jersey City.

http://videos.nj.com/2008/09/best_hot_dogs_in_jersey_city.html
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/13 20:24:09 (permalink)
Boulevard Drinks great tasting Sabrett's, and their unique chili / onion sauce, only problem, not enough on street parking.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/16 07:54:39 (permalink)
Papaya King on Getty Ave. in Clifton changed owners about a year ago. Frank, the new owner added a few things to the menu and lowered the prices. A regular grilled beef dog (about 10 to a lb) went from $1.99 to $1.50. They have a "happy hour" from 4 PM to 6:30 during the week. Dogs cost 99 cents.

This coming Saturday they will be giving away dogs for free from 12 noon to 4 PM.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/18 19:19:54 (permalink)
I stopped at Frankly Burgers & More last thursday, very clean establishment. First I had 2 of the Best's 6 to a pound hotdogs, both on the griddle and one of them finished on the flame grill, the one on the griddle I added the chili,very good, the one off the flame grill just mustard, both were prepared just the way I asked and were very good. Next I tried the Schickhaus frank, prepared on the griddle,just added the Gueldens mustard,great tasting frank, reminded me of Maxx's in Long Branch. Wishing Carolyn and Ralph much success.
post edited by big g in joisey - 2009/04/19 00:07:32
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/19 06:26:56 (permalink)
I was there Friday with my wife. This was my second time and I decided to try their burger. Very good. I had it prepared on the griddle (you can have it charbroiled) and it was nice and juicy. They use high quality meat that they grind themselves. Also had a 6 to a lb natural casing Best's off the griddle. Exceptional. I love the toasted New England buns. I've had plenty of Best's, but these are prepared perfectly and seem fresher and juicier than other places using this dog. Ralph gets them delivered often in small quantities right from the plant.
dataitt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/30 11:42:42 (permalink)
I am so glad that someone else remembers Walt's. Walt Morozack was my grandmother's cousin.  When I was a child my grandparents and parents would take me and my sister there for lunch and dinner. I remember walking into the place and just thinking how big is was. I loved their hot dogs, but I really loved their hamburgers (my fav). I was so sad the day they sold the place and it was torn down.
I still have ties to Linden, but mainly Rahway. My family still owns LeHart's Friendly Service on St. George Ave.
Thanks for the memories.
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/30 12:33:55 (permalink)
Has anyone been to Tommy's Hot Dogs in Carteret recently?

I have to be in Carteret around lunch time next week and was thinking of stopping there but I haven't been there in 10+ years. I don't really remember much about the dogs, so if anyone knows what's good/bad, let me know.  Or if there is a better alternative, such as a local cart.

It looks like they are still open according to information on the web.

Thanks, I'll report back if I go.
cameron074
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/04/30 13:49:13 (permalink)
HotDog Johnny's is great, but I'm with JFox, the dogs are nothing special. Standard dogs. I go for the setting/atmosphere and because the birch beer is great! 

Kinda off topic, I had a dog at Citi Field this past weekend. 

I think it was worse than the ones at Shea. 
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/01 00:02:20 (permalink)
Ken,

I believe you'll find John Fox's review of Tommy's Hot Dogs in Carteret on this page, in his post of 1/1/07:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=440&mpage=12

The Bear
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/01 15:04:36 (permalink)
<<I believe you'll find John Fox's review of Tommy's Hot Dogs in Carteret on this page, in his post of 1/1/07:  http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=440&mpage=12

Thanks Bear. I figured there was a review by John from when they went to all those places, but for some reason I couldn't locate it via the search feature. 

Hope you're doing well.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/02 02:11:01 (permalink)
I stopped at a new cart recently. Uncle Jerry's cart is on Route 46 in Belvidere a few minutes west of Hot Dog Johnny's so yes there are good dogs in the area now! He's in the parking lot of a place called Motorcycle Warehouse. He serves skinless Sabretts which were hot enough and although the chili isn't homemade, his hot onions are and they are really good. He adds some green peppers to them and they have a nice amount of spicyness to them and good flavor. He's only been there a few weeks and I wish him good luck.

Dave
Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 35 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1