Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 69 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/03 11:27:02 (permalink)
There were and still are good dogs in the Warren County area of Hot Dog Johnny's, I wish the best for Uncle Jerry's, but before King Cole Grove closed I believe he was selling Sabrett's.
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/04 12:42:19 (permalink)

IMHO                                   
A chill Dog is NOT a Texas Wiener.               
I view a Texas Wiener is a DEEP FRIED HOT DOG topped with mustard, chopped onions and sauce all in a hot dog roll.                 
A chile dog is any hot dog topped with chile (Texas style chile or Texas wiener sauce).                                                                            
 I live in New Jersey and have a long love of Texas Wieners. My Dad, like his Dad, used to make a special occasion out of going for hot dogs. My Dad grew up in Clifton NJ and his Dad would take him to Paterson for Texas Wieners. Back then they would go to Libby's or Johnny & Hanges. Many a night in youth my Dad and Mom would pack up the kids and we would drive to Paterson for those dogs. I loved to go in with him to hear them shout out our 
order back to the cook. Later in my life I worked at a job In Elmwood Park (East Paterson) and found I was 1/2 a mile from River View East, a Texas Wiener "grill" descended from Falls View.                 
This became my favorite Texas Wiener place. John Fox I have been meaning to tell you about this place, and I always figured that you knew about it, but I have never seen a review . I'd like to propose a mini meet and greet at River View East in Elmwood Park NJ.                    

Also here is some very good information that I found. It is long but good reading. 
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/collections/paterson/essay6.html   
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2338
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/04 14:23:05 (permalink)
Alesrus,

A chili dog is not a Texas Weiner, but a Texas Weiner can be considered a chili dog. A Texas Weiner to me is a beef/pork dog either deep fried or griddled and topped with mustard, onions. and a distinct Greek style chili. Not hot spicy chili, not Mexican style chili, not tomatoey hot dog truck chili.

I've heard of River View East, but never been there. A good one I went to recently is the Getty Grill in Clifton across from Corrado's and Papaya King. Deep fried Thumann's with a chili sauce that tastes very similar to The Hot Grill's. I would say that the chili is equally good at both places while the dog itself is better at Getty Grill. The Hot Grill's dog (Sabrett beef and pork) has less flavor.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1600
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/08 09:27:35 (permalink)
As planned, I had my lunch at Tommy's in Carteret yesterday. As John pointed out in his Munchmobile reviews, they use a rather small 11 to a pund Sabrett dog. But I enjoyed my dogs.

I had a chili dog and a kraut dog. Both were tasty and cooked properly. Plus the place has real roadfood atmosphere, an old rundown shack in an older residential neighborhood. Plus the owner (who I think is named Paul not Tommy) is quite a character, which adds to the ambiance.

Sure, these were not the best dogs or the best chili I have ever had, but it was good enough, and overall I'd love to see this place should be included on some future tour for it's combination of colorful owner, rundown ambiance, and tasty dogs.

It's at 117 Grant Avenue, Carteret.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/08 21:51:46 (permalink)
I was driving through Plainfield today and saw a familiar, welcoming yellow and blue Sabrett umbrella so of course I stopped. Lou G's Hot Dog Express trailer is at the corner of Myrtle Ave and Rock Ave in Plainfield maybe a block or 2 north of route 28. The owner Lou has been there about a year and he said he likes to make his dogs the way he would want to eat them. He uses natural casing Sabretts, I'm not sure of the size but they were decent size for dirty water dogs. The alleged homemade chili (unofficial because of the health dept) was quite good, very meaty with no beans. he has many different toppings including cole slaw so I had a chili slaw dog. The dog which was cooked nicely on a fresh roll was $2.00 with both toppings which isn't bad at all. Lou was very friendly and we talked for a few minutes. I mentioned about Roadfood and the Hot Dog Tour and he mentioned Amazing Hot Dogs. A very nice guy, a very good dog and I wish him much success.

Dave 
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:29:25 (permalink)
It's been a great week for me. I found 4 more Sabrett vendors on top of the one from last Friday. I'll post each one separately below. I was wondering if I could ask a small favor of the Jersey Dog regulars. In my quest to eat once at as many hot dog joints in the Garden State as possible if you're driving and you see a cart/truck/trailer selling hot dogs would you mind posting it here? Besides me I'm sure there are many of us who would love to try a new place.

Dave
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:37:24 (permalink)
Mama always said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.  John Sagi you don't have to read this post, the one's you'll be interested in are the next 3.

Gail's Dog House is in a park in Bridgewater off Thompson Ave several miles norh of Route 22. She serves skinless Sabretts because "kids prefer them" she said. She's there Mon-Fri and goes to other parks in town on the weekends to sell to local sporting events and park goers. The dog was fine, the "homemade" chili wasn't so good, it was thick and pastey and not very meaty and the dog was served on a non steamed roll.

Dave
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:43:58 (permalink)
Today I stopped at Deputy Dogs in either Middlesex or Piscataway. It's a truck on South Ave which is off Mountain Ave which I'm pretty sure intersects with Route 28 in Middlesex and goes into Piscataway at the other end. They are serving a natural casing Sabrett which was nicely heated and had a nice snap. They also had a thick meaty chili which had a subtle spicyness and a noticable cinnamon flavor. There were also diced red peppers in the chili which could be the source of the spice, I'm not sure. Not a bad dog although I didn't love the cinnamon chili.

Dave
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:48:44 (permalink)
Stop number 2 today was Marty's Lunch Box in Middlesex. it's a converted camper trailer parked off of Cedar Ave which turns into Possumtown Rd once you go into Piscataway I think. He also serves a natural casing Sabrett which was headed nicely and had the distinctive snap. The chili had more of a taco meat quality to it and I thought I tasted taco seasoning. It wasn't that spicy but it was pretty good. I liked it better than the cinnamon chili from Deputy Dogs. The roll also had that bread out of the bag taste and it wasn't steamed.

Dave
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:52:04 (permalink)
<<if you're driving and you see a cart/truck/trailer selling hot dogs would you mind posting it here? >>

Dave, the other day I noticed a cart on Park Ave in Plainfield (or maybe it's South Plainfield at that point) across from Muhlenberg Hospital. I haven't tried it, but there was a short line by the cart so it appears he's doing some business. Also, he had a Dietz & Watson umbrella, and if those are the dogs he sells, you don't see them that often around that area.

Thanks for all your reports. I'm always glad to know about different carts & wagons. 
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/15 23:55:58 (permalink)
The final stop on my solo nitrate filled lunch was Reggie's on Canal St in South Bound Brook. This trailer is parked in the D&R Canal Park parking lot and is very visable from the road. He too is serving a natural casing Sabrett which was heated nicely and had the snap. he's there Mon-Fri 11-3:30. The roll also wasn't steamed and had that bread out of the bag taste to it. I ordered a chili dog with his "extra spicy" chili. I was expecting it to be really spicy maybe even as much heat as the chili from JJ's truck in Newark which gives me hiccups when I eat it, but alas poor roadfooders all it had was a little bit of spice and a slight lingering burn, it was rather unfortunate. This chili was thicker and wetter as compared to the taco meat chili from Marty's Lunch Box. Reggie's offered a large amount of toppings including cole slaw which I'll have to try next time.

Dave
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/16 02:09:28 (permalink)
Dave great posts.

Like yourself I want to know about all of the vendors, especially on the street corner or in a parking lot.

If they don't have a street address the closest intersection will do. One thing about hot dog vendors is they all have the umbrella.

I've had some great homemade chili's from the street vendor. Its harder to
get home made chili from the carts because the law don't allow it anymore, but some still sneak it buy.
If you ever want company for a hot dog run let me know. I'm now living in Toms River full time.

big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/16 11:10:31 (permalink)
Tony's hotdog truck on Park ave and Lake street in Branch Brook Park in Newark serves a great homemade chili. I would rank it right up there with Hirams and Father N Sons, thanks again for the tip on Father N Son ScreenBear. 
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2338
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/16 11:20:28 (permalink)
I actually like Tony's chili better than Father & Son's and Hiram's. Father & Son is close to me and I usually have some of their chili in my fridge or freezer. I had some 2 nights ago. But I really have to be in the mood for it and usually only have it on one dog since it is so spicy.

Pappy's Diner has a great Texas Weiner sauce. Coney Island Restaurant in Middletown, N.Y. has a great chili also. My favorite, though is John Sagi's homemade chili. Very similar to Coney Island's.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/17 10:18:58 (permalink)
Rounding out my own personal top five chili dogs in NJ I would include Rutt's Hutt, even though you have to add the chili yourself because they only sell their chili in a cup or bowl. Boulevard Drinks unique chili is also very good, heavy on the chopped cooked onions,with a little heat. An honorable mention would go to Eagan's, long gone now, but they served a great chili dog,not to spicy, just the right blend and plenty enough that they would put a fork on top of the dog when they served it.
Beverly K
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/17 15:52:36 (permalink)
When I was growing up in New Jersey, my family's Saturday night meal stop in the warmer months was the Galloping Hill Inn in Union, also known as Five Points for the lunatic intersection where it was located. I just loved their dogs. I've not been back for over 40 years. Is it still there?

Also loved Sabrett's with the natural casing. Don't know whether they even exist anymore. We would get them once a month for lunch at the Catholic school I attended in Springfield.

I really can't stand 'skinless' franks, and in this part of PA nobody stocks franks with casing. If you ask for them, they look at you as if you're from another planet!
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/17 20:22:23 (permalink)
Beverly:
The Sabrett natural casing are definitely still around and are now even sold (at least during the summer months) in many NYC-area supermarkets such as Pathmark, ShopRite, Western Beef, and Stop and Shop. In many areas they are sold by food service distributors. I don't have a source for you off the top of my head for York, PA. Tthis board has hooked up a lot of people with local retailers or wholesalers. Hopefully another reader can give you a source, or contact Sabrett:
http://www.sabrett.com/contact.cfm

If there is a wholesaler in your area, chances are there is also a restaurant(s) that serves them.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/17 21:14:07 (permalink)
Hi Beverly. Out your way you might want to try Sechrists Butcher shop on Main Street in Dallastown Pa. Great old time butcher shop which makes thier own hot dogs, and I'm pretty sure they do have a natural casing version.

Yes, Galloping Hill Inn is still there, in fact it's usually the starting point for the annual New  Jersey Hot Dog Tour which you can read about in the Roadfood forums.

And, yes, the 5 points intersection is one of the most complicated I've ever seen. I once read that there are 49 different combinations of turns you can make at the intersection.  
Beverly K
Hamburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/17 22:20:03 (permalink)
Thank you Ken and Dave for your help. I am very familiar with Sechrist Franks as the grocery store where I work sells them.

Strangely enough, their natural casing product is not considered a hot dog, but a sausage, and the spicing blend is totally different than the dogs I grew up with in New Jersey.

But I may have to try them again.

The last hot dog with natural casing that I tried was Boar's Head Beef and Pork with natural casing. It was so bland I was wondering if there was any seasoning in it at all.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/18 00:03:27 (permalink)
Try the Boar's Head all-beef, natural casing frankfurter... offering perhaps the best snap in all of Dogdom, and a classical Eastern U.S. deli taste.

The Bear
Beverly K
Hamburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/21 22:20:07 (permalink)
My Giant does not stock the Boar's Head All Beef, Natural Casing Hot Dogs. (I find this rather strange since they have every other version of BH Beef Hot Dogs!) BUT, the one in Red Lion (town south of York ), does. It makes me curious as the what the east and west York Giants have. I may have to check them out.

I can also get Nathan's shipped to me for $15 for three packages. Not too bad considering that I pay around $5.29 for a package of eight skinless at the store.

Thanks to all who helped. I really appreciate it.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/22 21:01:37 (permalink)
Did anyone else notice the photo of John Fox in the Star Ledger last Fri May 15th. He was featured in the Munchmobile preview article doing what he loves...eating a hot dog.

Dave
John63
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/24 13:24:37 (permalink)
Another NJ hot dog nut checking in. I must say I have been reading the posts on here since late last year and have been to many of the places dicussed in this thread. My favorite place for a Texas Weiner is Teddy's on Market street in Patterson. It really is a dive. But I can't stop going there every week and getting my fix. I also enjoy Hirams and Rutts hut. Even had a couple of dogs yesterday on route 23 south from a truck. Anyway happy to be here and enjoy reading these posts.
John63
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/25 22:56:33 (permalink)
To elaborate on my previous post. I have eaten dogs at Hot Grill, Getty Ave Grill, The Corral, Papaya king, Mikes grill on Railway ave in patterson, Libbys, Teddys, Rutts hut, Hirams, Johnny and Hanges, Duffys Riverside, River View Grill East, Falls View, Hot dog Caboose in Midland park, Danny's dogs in Garfield, Hot Dog Hut in Wayne, Hot Dog House on 17 in Carlstadt, Hanks Franks, Daveys Dogs Howard Blvd. Anthonys Italian hot dogs in Hackettstown, And Mamuts in Passaic. As I said previously I go to Teddys almost weekly. Same for Daveys in Mount Arlington, which I stop at on the way to my moms every sunday night. I think Duffys is under rated and I have eaten there several times. Same could be said for Hot dog house on 17. Good dogs and close to my work. Same with Hanks. I love what they call their Italian onions. I went to Mikes grill for the first time on thursday. They make a really good Texas weiner. If you want something differant try Mamuts. Broadway in Passaic. It is Peruvian and they make the best Salchipapa I have ever had. Sliced and fried hot dogs on top of a bed of french fries, With various dipping sauces. Oh yeah I have been to all of these place since the beginning of the year abd I am sure I am forgetting a few places.
jdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/27 04:04:01 (permalink)
I'm 53 now. When I was a kid, probably under 10 Y.O.,There was a place in Hackettstown. It was litteraly a hole in the wall, a window that you ordered at. They served hot dogs with fried onions, does anybody remember the name of that place?

T.I.A.
jdog
John63
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/27 22:14:18 (permalink)
jdog

I'm 53 now. When I was a kid, probably under 10 Y.O.,There was a place in Hackettstown. It was litteraly a hole in the wall, a window that you ordered at. They served hot dogs with fried onions, does anybody remember the name of that place?

T.I.A.
jdog

Maybe Leo's Lunch?
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/30 01:09:56 (permalink)
Welcome John63 & JDog, You won't find a better place to discuss jersey Dogs.

Last Friday before Memorial Day weekend i was running some emergency beer deliveries all over the place and I had to go to Monroe Twp in Middlesex county. I put the address for the bar in my gps and away I go. Oh no a detour. Next thing I know I'm following the detour and I'm not sure where I am. But it must have been my lucky day. Just off the road in a garden center parking lot was a red truck with that wonderful Sabrett umbrella. The truck was unmarked, but painted red. I believe the street was Englishtown Road, I'm not sure of the town, but I stumbled across it following the detour for Spotswood-Englishtown Road. The dogs were really good. Very large natural casing dogs served very hot. I had mine with homemade meaty chili and homemade cole slaw. Both were outstanding. I would stop back there aagin if I could somehow find my way back there.

The detour rejoined Spotswood-Englishtown Road and right down the street from the bar was a Sabrett cart in Suburban Plaza. I was definitely in Monroe now. It must be my lucky day. I had one with mustard and relish. it was nicely heated and pretty good on top of that.

I've also passed 2 hot dog trucks in the past few days but didn't have any cash on me either time. I'll have to make sure that I do the next time I'm in Bridgewater and Hampton.

Dave
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/30 01:37:35 (permalink)
Hey Dave

I believe both stands are in Monroe Twp. on Englishtown Road.

The Red Truck has only been there a short while, I first seen it 2 weeks ago, but it was closed.

The second vendor I believe was Jackie's Famous Hot Dogs. She has been there for ever. I like how she keeps the hot dogs warm in one container and keeps a few in the hot water. The hot dogs always are hot and she has a pretty good chili.  

John
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/30 01:46:02 (permalink)
Hi John,
That red truck served excellent dogs you should definitely go back. The Sabrett cart I went to was down the street from the bar I needed to go to and wasn't on the same road as the red truck. I remember making  a left onto Texas Rd after leaving the truck, then a right onto Spotswood-Englishtown Rd. Who knows, maybe the cart moved locations.

Dave
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/30 11:18:29 (permalink)
Dave

What town was the bar that you delivered to in?

I know the area well, but need the direction you were coming from.

John
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 69 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1