Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 37 of 68
Author
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/05/30 22:18:08 (permalink)
The bar was the Clubhouse on Spotswood-Englishtown Road in Monroe. The Sabrett cart was on the edge of the street in front of a strip mall called Suburban Plaza right down the street from the bar. The red truck was on Englishtown Road I believe. At least thats what the hot dog guy told me when I asked him.

Dave
jdog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/03 03:44:16 (permalink)

That's the place! thanks, been racking my brains over that one.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/05 22:24:43 (permalink)
Today, i make my way to this place that is called Hot Dog Heaven, No , i'm sorry it's the Hot Dogs, Sausages & Bratwursts  forum. WOW, what a place for a "HOT" dog freak like myself. anyway, i would like to say, i eat more than my share of dog's.

i'm sad that MATT closed amazing hot dog's in south bound brook. Matt u still have a invite for poker.

i'm sad, the real MR. DEE'S in Sayreville, and the outside carts are long GONE !!! mikey and denny were have you gone?

went today to that place called Father's and Son in Linden, NJ.  NOT BAD !!  chilli scored with me, onions were big with my travel eating buddy. the girl handling the counter was pretty good too!!!

may, i ask the forum for there top 5 "HOT DOG'S"  and  TOP 5 Places to visit ? the fixin's are no big deal, i eat them ALL !!

top dog's
 top 5 places

yes, i've been reading the many post, or should i say the hundreds of post. but, i like 1 2 3 type of orders. thanks and will see you soon.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/05 22:30:39 (permalink)
i be real interested in the hot dog run in september, were do i sign up ?

if it runs from five points, that would be allright with me, i've been 5 pointing it for over 40 years, CHARLIE'S FAMOUS ITALIAN also 40 plus years........
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/06 00:22:44 (permalink)
Hi Dog Boss...welcome.

Top 5 hot dogs? Do you mean brands? My top 4 are
1. Sabrett
2. Hebrew National
3. Bests Provisions from Newark
4. Nathans Famous

Some places you should visit.
1. Charlie's Pool Room in Alpha
2. Jimmy Buff's
3. Rutt's Hutt
4. Max's in Long Branch
5. Boulivard Drinks in Jersey City
6. Any random Cart/Truck/Trailer with a Sabrett umbrella proudly displayed

Dave
post edited by DPuro329 - 2009/06/06 00:26:30
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2334
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/06 09:13:49 (permalink)
Here is a recent article that appeared in the New York Times about Lutz's in Union. It's in my town so I enjoy a hot dog from there occasionally.

http://events.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/nyregion/31qbitenj.html
post edited by John Fox - 2009/06/07 09:19:53
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/06 12:08:20 (permalink)
Welcome Dog Boss. Here are my favorite brands:

1. Thumans
2. Sabrett
3. Karl Ehmer
4. Lutz
5. Schaller and Weber
6. Nathans
Not necessarily in that order. While I enjoy chili dogs or ones with sauer kraut or other toppings I like hotdogs that can stand on their own or maybe with just a little mustard.
post edited by agnesrob - 2009/06/06 12:09:26
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/06 12:16:02 (permalink)
ok,  DPuro329
i'm not a fan of your number #2 and #4  number 1 and 3 work for me, thumans and shickhaus work good too.

jimmy buffs, rutt's hutt, max's(just there the other day) all been hit many times each

the sabrett thing works too, but they have to be atleast 10's for me. i could list so many places, i'll add more over time to my post.  i did GEENIES WEENIES in branchburg last week with the wife and kids, the wife really like GEENIES  italian stlye dog, wife made big comments on the roll. she loved it.

thanks, i'll look for more places, as i head out today on my travels !!!!
post edited by Dog Boss - 2009/06/06 12:17:38
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/06 20:21:10 (permalink)
DogBoss,
Have you tried Lou G's Hot Dog Express? It was an excellent Sabrett trailer I ate at in Plainfield a few weeks ago. The guy parked on Myrtle Ave just off Rock Ave. He was South of Rt 22 and North of Rt 28 and behind the PSE&G yard that you can see from Rt 28.

Have you tried Reggie's? His trailer is in the D&R Canal Park parking lot on Canal St in South Bound Brook. I ate there a few weeks ago as well and enjoyed it. I think reviews I posted about them are on the previous page.

I've been meaning to try Geenies Weenies. I also passed a hot dog cart in Bridgewater on Rt 22. The guy was set up in a parking lot on 22 east almost immediately after you go under Rt 287.

Dave
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/07 07:49:19 (permalink)
Welcome Dog Boss. I'm from Woodbridge Township also. I lived in Iselin for 10 years and Colonia for 16.

I've been to Geenies Weenies and have mixed feelings about them. They serve the Thumann's griller which is an excellent dog. But they screwed up my order even after having it written down. I overlook that because they were only open a week or so. A great price (1.75) for a 6 to a lb Thumann's, but my dogs and my wife's were served barely warm. They also have a weird way of preparing them. They are griddled first, then deep fried. If I were using both methods, I would switch the order. I had one prepared this way and one that I requested just griddled. The griddled dog was better.

They also have a better than average chili that is slightly sweet with a little spice in the background. My dogs would have been much better had they been served hot enough. They use the same dog for their Italian Hot Dog. I wouldn't like it because I prefer an all beef dog for an Italian Hot Dog. And I'd rather have it on pizza bread.

Interesting subject, top 5 dogs. This is tough because there are so many good ones. And with the exception of the top 2 in each category (all beef and beef/pork), they change depending on what I'm in the mood for. As for favorite places to grab a dog, it doesn't always have to be the best one of the style. For example I like the Texas Weiner at Pappy's better than the Hot Grill. But the Hot Grill is a favorite because it is very close to Pappy's, but the service is much better. And the atmosphere is better. While I discount these things while judging the quality of a dog, I take them into consideration (especially distance I have to travel) when 2 dogs are very close in taste and I'm going to be eating there.

Top 5 German style beef and pork dogs.

1) Thumann's griller. 6 to a lb. Just a unique taste and great texture. The meat is top quality and the pork comes right off of their high quality hams. I pick this dog consistently when doing blind taste tests.

2) Hartmann's wieners. Another 6 to a lb natural casing dog. Available at Wegmans. Great rich, smoky flavor. Made by a guy who learned his craft in Vienna.

3) A frank made on premise at a butcher shop. These are the freshest hot dogs you can get anywhere. Sort of like getting a beer directly from the serving tank at a brewpub. These dogs are tender, juicy and loosely packed because they don't go through a procedure that sucks air out of the meat mixture. My favorites are Kocher's (Ridgefield Park), Lutz's (Union), Union Pork Store (Union), and the Kielbasy Store (formerly Continental Provisions in East Brunswick).

4) Schickhaus. Long 4 to a lb dog that is very good on the griddle. This is the dog served at Max's and many places on the Boardwalk. Similar to the Galloping Hill's dog. I cannot list that one because it isn't available to the public unless you go directly to the distributor.

5) Sahlen's. From Buffalo, N.Y. but available at Wegman's. This dog is served at Ted's in upstate N.Y. and Tempe, Arizona. Great charbroiled rather than griddled, these dogs have a big taste with a slight peppery taste in the background.

Other dogs in this style that can be listed here include Zweigel's Red (the White Hots are a different style), Hummel's, Mucke's, Kayem, and Karl Ehmer's.

Top 5 all beef dogs.

1) Best's. I grew up on these, but think that I would like them if I just started eating them. Great prepared any way, but especially fried (90% of Italian Hot Dog joints use this brand), and chargrilled. This was the dog served at Syd's (now gone) which many considered the best hot dog in New Jersey.

2) Usinger's. A bold spicy dog that is a little different than your typical Eastern style beef dog. Some esoteric spices and a little more smoke than what you normally get. But a tasty unique flavor. Many consider this the best hot dog in America.

3) Sabrett. I like the 10 to a lb natural casing frank that is served at Papaya King and Gray's. While Sabrett is known as a "dirty water dog" I think they taste great prepared on a griddle.

4) Boars Head. A straightforward dog that typifies the New York style beef dog. Not as spicy as a Nathan's or Sabrett, this is a delicious well made dog with a tough casing.

5) Hebrew National. I like the spicing of this dog. All listed here (except Boars Head) have a unique spicing that for me is easy to detect blindfolded. I buy the 8 to a lb Hebrew National with casing sold at Maple Kosher Meats in Union. They are always fresh and not left out where they can get dried out. I got one from Wegmans once that was dry from being exposed too long.

There are so many other great all beef dogs. It's hard to say what is best. It depends on your taste and the spicing you like. Other good beef dogs are Pearl, Karl Ehmer's, Grote & Weigel, Romanian Kosher, Nathan's, and Hatfield's N.Y. style.

5 Favorite places. This is really hard. A lot of good ones I don't go to often because of distance, difficulty parking (Boulevard Drinks, Jersey City), too long of a wait (Pappy's) or some other reason.

1) Jimmy Buff's East Hanover. This location serves a great dog prepared a unique way. The 5 to a lb Best natural casing (Syd's dog) is my favorite beef dog. At Syd's it was boiled then chargrilled on a gas grill. At Buff's it's sauteed in oil and finished off on a real charcoal grill, topped with my favorite mustard (Admiration deli mustard) and put on a quality Pechters/Rockland bakery bun. In my opinion there is no better dog. Buff's also invented the Italian Hot Dog. The place to go on Tuesday. Half price or buy one get one free.

2) Jerry's. Located in Elizabeth, they serve an 8 to a lb natural casing Best. It is boiled, then finished off on a grill for added crunch. I frequent this place more than any other since it is only a few miles away and the dogs are excellent.

3) Galloping Hill Inn. A top notch German style beef and pork dog prepared on a griddle. Nice big sturdy bun (I get 2 dogs or a double), and a good Dusseldorf style mustard. Right down the street from me, this place is second in terms of how many times I've gone to a particular place. It's where my wife took me on our first date. Indoor and outdoor seating. And beer.

4) Rutt's Hut. Though I preferred grilled most of the time, Rutt's is the place to go for a deep fried dog. Unique dog that goes well with their relish which is like no other relish I've tasted. One of the few dogs that I'll have with something other than mustard and chili. Great atmosphere and they serve beer also.

5) Papaya King (excellent griddled Sabrett dog), Hot Grill (great Texas Weiner, quick service), Father & Son (good spicy chili on a quality grilled beef dog), Dees (best dirty water Sabrett), Tommy's (great Italian Hot Dog 2.9 miles away), Frankly Burgers and More (a ways away in Freehold, but juicy griddled natural casing Best's and a top notch Italian Hot Dog), Manny's Texas Weiners (grilled Texas Wiener with thick spicy chili a few miles away), Costco (quarter pound Hebrew National and drink for $1.50)

This is off the top of my head. There are so many good dogs that this changes depending on mood. I'm sure I left some out as well.
Beverly K
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/07 09:09:38 (permalink)
I didn't even know that Hebrew National made a natural casing hot dog! I bet they're good, as I love their skinless dogs.

I have a friend who works for Pathmark, and I emailed her to ask what, if any, natural casing beef hot-dogs they sell.

I tried Wegman's in Hunt Valley, MD, yesterday and I saw some brands I never even heard of that were mentioned on this board.

Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1876
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/07 10:50:22 (permalink)
Hey Dog Boss ,

Welcome aboard buddy !!!!
John Fox and I run the Jersey Dog Tour every year .
The 6th Annual will be on Sat. Sept 26th .
We should  be departing at high Noon from GHI , we will confirm the intinerary at a later date .
Go to the Meets and Greets Forum there is quite an extensive thread on all of our trips .
Past attendees have first option to return this year until Aug 1st . I will put you on the list and will let  you know for sure after that date . Shoot me your email or keep watching the Meets and Greets thread for up to date info as we get closer .

We will visit 5 to 7 stops and be traveling via a deluxe Motorcoach with lavatory onboard .

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/08 20:12:40 (permalink)
I stopped at a new cart today. Bergley's Belly Busters is on County Route 517 in Hackettstown across from the M&M/Mars plant/office. He's been there about 3 weeks and is selling skinless Sabretts. I had one with mustard and relish which was good. The bun was steamed and the dog was a good size and heated through.

Dave
Beverly K
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/10 22:04:23 (permalink)
Where is Papaya King in NYC? If it is somewhere readily accessible, I fully intend to get there if I get to the city in the autumn.

I've heard alot about it on the Travel Channel.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/10 22:21:23 (permalink)
Beverly K

Where is Papaya King in NYC? If it is somewhere readily accessible, I fully intend to get there if I get to the city in the autumn.

I've heard alot about it on the Travel Channel.

179 East 86th Street at Third Avenue is the location of the original store. It is a block away from the Lexington Avenue Subway line (4,5 & 6 trains.) They have a few franchised locations as well:
http://www.papayaking.com/html/locations.htm

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1596
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/11 09:16:25 (permalink)
<<They have a few franchised locations as well:

Interesting that under the Clifton location they have a picture of the group photo from the '07 NJ  Hot Dog Tour (although when you click to enlarge it you get a picture of a portion of the menu, I guess they would have needed everyone's permission to use a larger picture).
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/12 22:31:18 (permalink)
I'm amazed that a company as famous as Papaya King has only  such a small handful of locations.

The Bear
John63
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/14 09:05:51 (permalink)
Stopped at Hot Dog House again on route 17 south in Carlstadt on friday. Nice little place that uses natural casing sabretts. Variety of toppings of which I like the chili. On saturday I tried a new place. Went to the Belmont grill on Belmont ave in North Haledon. I had two Texas Weiners all the way. The sauce was really good. There are a few other places in the area that serve up Texas Weiners that I want to try.
ejebud
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/17 23:37:17 (permalink)
Had lunch at Father and Sons in Linden(the old J's Beef location and I gotta say I had 2 VERY GOOD dogs with Chili (excelent, spicy) mustard and onions. Great snap and solid texture(an indicator that they weren;t in the water too long.  As far as I'm concerned Subway can keep their $5 foot long subs; I'll have two chili dogs and a soda here for around 5 bucks over ANYTHING Subways got.
ejebud
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/17 23:40:19 (permalink)
Oh, and I gotta say 1 year removed from my beloved Amazing Hot Dog, I'm missing a good old Jersey Breakfast.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/18 06:24:53 (permalink)
ejebud

Had lunch at Father and Sons in Linden(the old J's Beef location and I gotta say I had 2 VERY GOOD dogs with Chili (excelent, spicy) mustard and onions. Great snap and solid texture(an indicator that they weren;t in the water too long.  As far as I'm concerned Subway can keep their $5 foot long subs; I'll have two chili dogs and a soda here for around 5 bucks over ANYTHING Subways got.

I go to Father & Son occasionally as it's near where I work and not far from where I live. The chili is very spicy, but good. If I get 2 dogs I only get chili on one since it's so spicy. The all beef Grote & Weigel dogs have a tight casing (almost like Boars Head) and a good flavor. As long as I've been going the dogs have been prepared on a griddle that you can see from the counter. This is true both in the new and old locations. I doubt that they prepare them in water. I hope they haven't switched methods.

The dogs are usually well prepared on the griddle but on occasion you will get one that has been on there too long and is dried out and lacking the normal flavor.

Father & Son was a big hit on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour 2 years ago.

Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/19 22:19:45 (permalink)
ejebud

Oh, and I gotta say 1 year removed from my beloved Amazing Hot Dog, I'm missing a good old Jersey Breakfast.

yeah, me too, MATT was a good dude, did'nt know the partner to well, wish the best of luck.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/19 22:26:16 (permalink)
Benzee, thank you....yes, i'll keep watching for sept, 29.  i'm really interested in filling a seat for the tour.(SIGN ME UP)

John Fox, u really sound like a guy, i may need to have a true hot dog talk with. i have a butcher that, i'm going to try to create my NEW dog............ so far there open too the idea, it's just a matter of timing.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/20 15:35:09 (permalink)
Had the pleasure of enjoying a few mealies last wednesday at Charlies Pool Room, a new favorite for myself and countless others after a couple of articles posted online and in the press.  A true treasure, not only are the Hotdogs outstanding with Grandma's great homemade onion sauce, but for the service from Joe and John who really care about their customers. Also had a nice coversation with the author of
Hamburger Calculus and friends, very nice people, with one of the best descriptions
of Charlies on their website. CPR can be a bit of a challenge to find, so as Joe said,write down the phone # and give them a call and they will talk you in, also they are opened Tuesday thru Saturday until 10:30pm.
harriet1954
  • Total Posts : 1154
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/20 16:17:36 (permalink)
ken8038

<<They have a few franchised locations as well:

Interesting that under the Clifton location they have a picture of the group photo from the '07 NJ  Hot Dog Tour (although when you click to enlarge it you get a picture of a portion of the menu, I guess they would have needed everyone's permission to use a larger picture).

That's cuz I was in Corrado's at the time and wasn't in the picture lol.

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/22 00:19:53 (permalink)
Yup, I need to get paid millions in royalties to have my image displayed !
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 146
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/22 00:52:52 (permalink)
Every few months we get a post of the best hot dog joint in NJ. I thought I would set up a survey of the best hot dog establishments in NJ. I also would like to know the best hot dog brand.

This don't have to be NJ made it is hot dogs sold in NJ.

The listing I have posted now to get started is the  combination of several lists I found on line from articles and hot dog lovers.

The beginning of each month the list will be updated starting with July 2009. So starting today fill out the form and we'll have six weeks to get a more accurate account.

Each month we will start from the begining, which allows new business to be equal.

You can only give your list once a month per person.

Hot Dog Joint Survey

With places closing and starting out we'll have an accurate accounts of the best.
hogiewolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/22 12:10:45 (permalink)

I've got a hot dog question maybe someone here can answer for me? I'm from South Jersey and use to work in north Jersey. I would stop by a hot dog place in Elizabeth just for there chile sauce. I'd buy a gallon each time I went. I use to take I think it was exit 13 coming up from the south. This was an older place right by a circle. Well I went back a couple of years ago to find there is a new building with a Dunkin Donuts there now???? Somebody told me they think they moved some place around there??  The place I'm talking about was there for quite along time. Started with just a cart and moved into the building there. I don't know why but I think it was called Johns or Johnnies? But again I'm not really sure of that. Boy I would love to get my hands on some of that chile again !!!   Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 654
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/22 13:37:49 (permalink)
John Fox.... 5) Hebrew National.  ....I buy the 8 to a lb Hebrew National with casing sold at Maple Kosher Meats in Union. They are always fresh and not left out where they can get dried out. I got one from Wegmans once that was dry from being exposed too long.
John, are these the ones tied together in a long string or do they come individually?  I've been trying to find a good kosher natural casing dog in the Baltimore area but not much luck. 

Attman's (reviewed on Roadfood) does sell their proprietary dogs on a string, but I've not seen the Hebrew National casing dogs on a string at any butcher,  like I had when I was little.  Thanks for any input!

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2009/06/22 19:31:30 (permalink)
Eruby, these are tied together. I get them once in awhile around this time of year because they are only sold a few months when the weather is warm. I don't know if you have a Wegman's near you, but you can get them there also. I prefer Maple Kosher because they are kept in a bag, not out in the open air like Wegmans. I do get some other dogs that are left out in the deli case because sometimes I want just 1 or 2; not a whole pack. But once my Hebrew National dog was dried out.

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 37 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1