The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 40 of 67, messages 1171 to 1200 of 1989
John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 10/26/09 7:42 PM (permalink)
The Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour has concentrated on the North East part of the state mainly because that's where the largest concentration of real good hot dog joints are located.

There are some good places south of the Driscoll Bridge in Central Jersey, but they are fewer in number and farther apart. The Tour is an all day affair and it's just easier to pick places that are fairly close to each other. I have considered moving south and may do so in the future, but it would entail more travel and probably mean less stops.

Frankly Burgers and More in Freehold would make a great stop, as would Max's and Boardwalk Hot Dogs. Jo-Jo's in Toms River is mediocre in my opinion.

Once you get into South Jersey, there is very little. Maui Dogs in Wildwood is very good. The place with perhaps the biggest reputation is Hot Dog Tommy's in Cape May. Nothing special at all and certainly not someplace I would consider travelling that far to. Average skinless dogs prepared on a roller grill. You can get the same or better at a gas station or 7-11.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 10/26/09 8:15 PM (permalink)
    John Fox, Have you ever tried Hot Spot on the boardwalk in wildwood?  I remember them being fantastic(in my younger years)....And sometimes I was actually sober!

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 10/26/09 8:44 PM (permalink)
      No, Joe; never heard of them until now. Do you know what the brand was? Many boardwalk places use Schickhaus.

John Sagi

• Total Posts: 146
        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 2:11 AM (permalink)
        Here are a few that could handle the traffic.

I believe all are open year round except Max's in Long Branch.

Jersey Joes   Port Monmouth

New England Hot Dog Company   Freehold

Frankly Burgers and More   Freehold

Boardwalk Hot Dogs   Brick

Zukas Hot Grill   Toms River

These could be alternate spots.

Maxs Hot Dogs   Long Branch

WindMill Freehold    Freehold

Jo Jo's Hot Dogs   Toms River

Just a suggestion

<message edited by John Sagi on Tue, 10/27/09 2:14 AM>

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 8:10 AM (permalink)
          Thanks for the suggestions John. I believe Max's is closed for the season after Labor Day. There is a Windmill that we've already been to in Westfield. JoJo's is nothing special at all. Tiny hot dogs and bread that fell apart. Jimmy Buff's and Tommy's are much better for Italian Hot Dogs.

Jersey Joe's is good, so is Boardwalk Hot Dogs. Never been to Zukas. Never would go to New England Hot Dog Company unless I ended up near there in my travels. Any place that would use a roller grill is not worthy of a hot dog tour.

John Sagi

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 9:38 AM (permalink)
            I was to New England Hot Dog Company a few weeks ago. 

They have a grill. All you have to do is ask for the flat grill.

The hot dog was tasty and hot. Their chili is good.

They added the grill about 6 months ago.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 11:21 AM (permalink)
              I think New England Hot Dog Company is also good, they have a couple of new dogs on the menu and will cook them a couple of different ways and they are not that far from Frankly Burgers and More, another very good hotdog and hamburger restaurant.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 11:28 AM (permalink)
                Still, you have to special request the grill. Also, this place has so many topping options and types of hot dogs that it would be hard for me to imagine everything being fresh. A true example of a place trying to be all things to all people. Doing too many things, but how many of them well? Glad you enjoyed your dog and chili though. I spoke with a couple that was on the Hot Dog Tour that live in Freehold and they were uninpressed with the New England Hot Dog Company. They frequent Frankly Burgers. Others have told me the same thing about New England Hot Dog Co.

I've spoken to one of the owners, who only confirmed my asertion that they try to be all things to all people. He mentioned that he knows Italian Hot Dogs are popular in N.J. and said that he would be adding one. By talking with him I could tell he had no idea what an Italian Hot Dog is.

Remember, this is a New England chain that has no idea or feel for New Jersey Hot Dog culture. I would rather go to a place that concentrates on one or at most a few things, gets them right, and has their roots in N.J. Unless of course it's someone moving here from Chicago and introducing an authentic version of a Chicago style hot dog.
                <message edited by John Fox on Tue, 10/27/09 11:37 AM>

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 6:17 PM (permalink)
                  John Fox

No, Joe; never heard of them until now. Do you know what the brand was? Many boardwalk places use Schickhaus.

Hey John,

This place goes back to my younger daze.  Hot Spot used to be a corner hot dog place on the Boardwalk, now I believe there are four of them and they are sit down restaurants.  Back then, it was hot dogs for breakfast, lunch and dinner(teenage budget).  

I don't know what kind of dog, but they had the best onion/peppers, made with paprika and Italian seasoning(Greek owned). 

I had Schickhaus at the Red Tower II in North Plainfield.  Very tasty dog.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 6:51 PM (permalink)
                    I'll look for this place next time I'm in Wildwood. Although I'm not a fan of the Jersey Shore, I do get dragged there occasionally. Despite the sign, Red Tower II uses a Grote & Weigel griddle frank which is very close to Schickhaus.

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 6:53 PM (permalink)
                      yes......................... the blood is flowing  ..........

rt 9 in toms river/beachwood and lacey twnsp. i seen at least three mobile hot dog trucks and a taco truck. would've stopped and tried them, but, i was down there for a funeral. one truck had more car's in the lot, then a busy 7-11 or wawa.

N.E. Hot Dog co. i have to side with the Fox on this one, my first trip there, i thought the very same thing. hot dogs twenty way's to tuesday, boiled, grilled,  steamed, fried, what kind of dog? all beef , beef/pork, chicken, turkey, agnus, standard or a foot long , on and on. roll's................. steamed, toasted or grilled. It was AMAZING HOT DOG Super Sized twenty over. too much action to serve a dog. ok, there still in business. but DEEP pockets can do that. the long haul, i can't see it. (been there 3 trips). would rather a dog from JERSEY FREEZE..............................

what's going on down rt 1 south towards Trenton for dogs?  i have to say, what, i have found is that alot of vendors/mom and pop's and stores lack in self- promotion. the internet is a great place to be, check this site, holly and others gives people  a chance to promote themselfs, and there not doing it. C.P.R and others have found the net, and what the net can do for them.

another truck in Plainsboro, NETTER'S  i know many haven't found her yet.

Dog Boss

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 6:59 PM (permalink)
                        John Sagi

I was to New England Hot Dog Company a few weeks ago. 

They have a grill. All you have to do is ask for the flat grill.

The hot dog was tasty and hot. Their chili is good.

They added the grill about 6 months ago.

The Rt 9 south in toms river / beachwood and lacey should be a good scout mission for ya !!!!!!!!!!! let us know..........

JoJo's is a big disapointment, there woodbridge location was best.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/27/09 7:25 PM (permalink)
                          Dog Boss

I posted this in the meet and greet section, maybe the right or wrong place, but.....................................................................

Since, I've been following the Jersey Hot Dog Tour, seems all trips are North East Side of the State, I see theres plenty of doggers from the the south side of the state, so, i ask, what's hot in dogs ? south of the Raritan River ? Monmouth, Ocean,Mercer, Burlington Counties ? Red Bank, Keansburg,Toms River,Atlantic City,Cape May,Ocean City,Atco,Trenton,Princeton,Middletown,Seaside,Belmar,Freehold and others............. some places have had mention, theres plenty of small mom and pop's, trucks and cart's. let's hear what's Hot in  South Jersey Dog's.

Maybe the next tour can head south and find some Gems in the rough.

Here it is......................................

While I gave my reply, let me quote the eloquent reply of Screenbear, who responded to a similar question on another forum. I like his reply better:

"While there are some good hot dog joints south of Middlesex County, most hot dog aficionados agree the bulk of the Garden State's great hot dog purveyors are located in Central and North Central N.J. Hence, it is easier for hot dog enthusiasts from all over the state to travel to Union County to embark on the tour, rather than for the tour to come to them. While it would be great if the tour could go farther afield, time constraints wouldn’t make it feasible. For instance, this year I would have loved to have also visited Hiram’s in Ft. Lee and Karl Ehmer’s in Hillsdale…however, that might have added two more hours to the tour time. The same goes for Frankly Burgers and More in Freehold…. the latest rising star in NJ hot dog circles. Add that to Maui’s Dog House in Wildwood, a truly fine dog destination I’d like to revisit, and we’re not home until the wee hours. Fine with me…but I doubt you’ll find a busload of doggers---or their significant others---to agree. Yep, one could have just a South Jersey Tour…. or a Central/South Jersey Tour. However, you’d be eating mostly the same dog at each place…. rather than the variety that the annual Hot Dog Tour strives to attain. Thus, indeed, it is a lot easier for folks from all over to come to where the greatest concentration of great frankfurter palaces are located. And they do…come from all over. In the past they have come from Maryland, upstate NY, Pa., and as far away as Nova Scotia. As an old prospector told me in 1849, “You go where the gold is.”  

Dog Boss

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 10/28/09 10:33 AM (permalink)
                            ok, i think this started as were to find a good Dog south of the river and down rt.1 south. looking to find the southern gem's of the Jersey Hot Dog scene.

then MAYBE  a jersery dog tour could be considered...................

i thought there was plenty of doggers(roadfood) residing and working in this part of the state. But i guess i could be wrong.

i think so far, all, i hear is some excuse's way the tour stay's north. that's fine,  it's really  about finding joint's, south of the river. i have to believe theres south Jersey Dog Joints that can compete with the north.  NO?

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 10/28/09 3:23 PM (permalink)
                              No. While there are good hot dog joints in what I would consider Central Jersey, there are very few in South Jersey. Maui's is one. I'm not in South Jersey much, so there may be some that I'm not aware of like the Hot Spot mentioned by joerogo.

When the Star Ledger asked 3 years ago for recommendations for the all summer hot dog judging (S.W.A.T. Team) even people living in South Jersey gave precious few suggestions. People e-mail me with suggestions quite frequently. Very rarely do I get suggestions from the southern area. They are more into cheesesteaks. I remember getting e-mails about Maui's (good) and Tommy's (not so good). There just isn't the interest and enthusiasm in South Jersey as there is in North Jersey. For whatever reasons.

DPuro329

• Total Posts: 406
                                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/31/09 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                I listed a bunch of places on the initial post in the tour forum. I'd be up for a more unofficial non bus hot dog tour of Central/South Jersey if anyone's interested. We could always carpool and caravan from spot to spot.

Dave

John Sagi

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/31/09 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm in.

I'll start a post to see who else is interested.

mrkag

• Total Posts: 20
                                    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/31/09 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                    Thank you, John & John for CT info. We'll let you know how we make out. I have heard of several of the ones you suggest. I hope time allows us to hit a couple. Thanks again, mr kag

mrkag

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/3/09 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks John Sagi for the Hot Dog Huts in CT. Unfortunately we were only able to get to 2 of them, but both were very good. We stopped at Bethel Hot Dog Palace on our way to New Britian. The foot long Texas Weiner was grilled perfectly, but the Coup de gras was the chili sauce, a nice spicy bite and great consistency. We managed to get to Super Duper Weenie on our way home. The dog itself I thought was exceptional, the chili sauce only ok. The hot relish was good however. Thanks again for the list, we will be heading up that way sometime over the spring or summer. mr kag

John Sagi

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/3/09 12:37 PM (permalink)
                                        mrkag

Give a holler when you're over this way, maybe we can grab a couple of hot dogs.

John

Dog Boss

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/3/09 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                          just returned from a quick run out for some dog's on this election day here in NJ,  went over to the RAHWAY GRILL, stopped at the window and was so, so disapointed , four (4) dog's sitting on the the grill, looking like they were left from the weekend,. the counter was full and the booth's had 2 empties. never opened the door, turned around and headed out for another location.

went over to  MUNCES at the RAHWAY RIVER park on ST. GEORGES AVE. to get my hot dog fix.

3 dog's with mustard , kraut and relish washed down with a SPRITE, capanion had 2 with chili mustard and raw onion , and off we went.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/3/09 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Dog Boss,
                                             If in that neck of the woods again, a good choice is Father & Son Luncheonette on St. Georges Avenue in Linden. They never leave dogs to "season" on the grill.

Great dog, great chili, superb attention to quality control, and, more importantly, a concern that their customers are pleased.

The Bear

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/4/09 7:21 AM (permalink)

MishyPoo

• Total Posts: 3
                                                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/4/09 6:30 PM (permalink)
                                                Dog Boss

just returned from a quick run out for some dog's on this election day here in NJ,  went over to the RAHWAY GRILL, stopped at the window and was so, so disapointed , four (4) dog's sitting on the the grill, looking like they were left from the weekend,. the counter was full and the booth's had 2 empties. never opened the door, turned around and headed out for another location.

Fellow Hot Dog Lovers,

Hi.   My name is Michelle, many of you from the "Hot Dog Tour 2009" know me as Bossa Nova's wife. 
                                                I happened to be perusing this topic today and had to register to join Roadfoods simply to reply to Mr Dog Boss's unfortunate circumstance at the Rahway Grill. 

Mr. Dog Boss, the dogs at the Rahway Grill were the biggest hit of the "Hot Dog Tour 2009."  I'm sorry you supposedly saw dogs that looked days old, but if it were me, I would have gone in and asked for a fresh dog to be put on for your enjoyment.  To have driven there, looked in the window without even entering, and to turn away without trying a dog was, in my opinion, an error.    I think the proprietors of the Rahway Grill would have been just as eager to please any customer who walked in as the other joint ScreenBear mentioned.  (hi ScreenBear!)  They were so good to all 50 of us on the day of Hot Dog Tour 2009, and I think they would have been just as happy to serve Mr Dog Boss had he mentioned John Fox and the other 49 of us....or mentioned that he heard the Rahway Grill has one amazing dog.  If I sound a bit passionate on this subject, it is because the Rahway Grill had the best dog with very delicious chili.  I am typically not a chili dog fan, but I cannot wait to go back to the Rahway Grill for a chili dog.  As for their actual dogs...we went out of our way to purchase the specific brand they serve, "Hatfields 8 to a pound"  (using the hot dog savvy lingo I acquired on the tour).  In fact, I grilled some for dinner on this very night. 

xoxo,
                                                Michelle

PS....I can take a digital pic of the dogs I cooked tonight, and they look a few days old.  Do not judge a book by its cover!  Hatfields are skinny and kinda dark and wrinkly lol....but OMG they are GOOD!!!!!!  just let me know if you want that pic, Im as happy to oblige as Im sure the people over at the Rahway Grill are.    

Applecheeks

• Total Posts: 52
                                                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/5/09 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                                  I so agree with Michelle on Rahway Grill.  i too, am not a chili dog person, but since the tour I have been dreaming about those hot dogs.  Do yourself a favor and go back to Rahway Grill.  You will not be disappointed.

mrkag

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/9/09 4:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    John,                                                                                                        We'll be heading out on a scheduled run in the early spring. We're actually planning 2 runs this coming year (2010), a NJ tour in spring and a CT tour in early fall. We need to try more of those suggestions you gave us. We will keep you posted as to when and where. We do know Charlie's Pool Room will be our last stop. It's right on the way home. We'd like to get to Hiram's finally, so we'll probably concentrate on the north east. Last year was central.  Enjoy.          mr kag

Dog Boss

• Location: Central Jersey, NJ
                                                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/9/09 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                                      MishyPoo

Dog Boss

Fellow Hot Dog Lovers,

Hi.   My name is Michelle, many of you from the "Hot Dog Tour 2009" know me as Bossa Nova's wife. 
                                                      I happened to be perusing this topic today and had to register to join Roadfoods simply to reply to Mr Dog Boss's unfortunate circumstance at the Rahway Grill. 

Mr. Dog Boss, the dogs at the Rahway Grill were the biggest hit of the "Hot Dog Tour 2009."  I'm sorry you supposedly saw dogs that looked days old, but if it were me, I would have gone in and asked for a fresh dog to be put on for your enjoyment.  To have driven there, looked in the window without even entering, and to turn away without trying a dog was, in my opinion, an error.    I think the proprietors of the Rahway Grill would have been just as eager to please any customer who walked in as the other joint ScreenBear mentioned.  (hi ScreenBear!)  They were so good to all 50 of us on the day of Hot Dog Tour 2009, and I think they would have been just as happy to serve Mr Dog Boss had he mentioned John Fox and the other 49 of us....or mentioned that he heard the Rahway Grill has one amazing dog.  If I sound a bit passionate on this subject, it is because the Rahway Grill had the best dog with very delicious chili.  I am typically not a chili dog fan, but I cannot wait to go back to the Rahway Grill for a chili dog.  As for their actual dogs...we went out of our way to purchase the specific brand they serve, "Hatfields 8 to a pound"  (using the hot dog savvy lingo I acquired on the tour).  In fact, I grilled some for dinner on this very night. 

xoxo,
                                                      Michelle

PS....I can take a digital pic of the dogs I cooked tonight, and they look a few days old.  Do not judge a book by its cover!  Hatfields are skinny and kinda dark and wrinkly lol....but OMG they are GOOD!!!!!!  just let me know if you want that pic, Im as happy to oblige as Im sure the people over at the Rahway Grill are.    

ok, MRS Michelle..................... they were busy, FRAN the owner was not in my sights, there counter help was. i live 5 mins from the grill. i was with a person that was more turned off then i was. i was there before the TOUR arrived on that fine saturday. had some GREAT DOG'S with my son. when, i do return to the Grill and FRAN is there, i will be more then happy to tell her what we had found apon our arrival to the window......................... been to the grill and had nothing, but there other fine offering's on the menu was totally satisfied. 

NOW, that you have my blood flowing................... this is the MAJOR problem with food in general............ places are so and i MEAN , so HOT and COLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Theres  No Consistency !!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                      Father and SON st. george ave. linden.................. ask for a hot hot dog just this past week, got a look like i was asking to grill it myself.  was with my buddy , who would eat and i say eat anything that is served him, and he made comments on the trip to father and son
                                                      <message edited by Dog Boss on Mon, 11/9/09 11:28 AM>

Dog Boss

• Location: Central Jersey, NJ
                                                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/9/09 11:22 AM (permalink)
                                                        ScreenBear

Dog Boss,
                                                         If in that neck of the woods again, a good choice is Father & Son Luncheonette on St. Georges Avenue in Linden. They never leave dogs to "season" on the grill.

Great dog, great chili, superb attention to quality control, and, more importantly, a concern that their customers are pleased.

The Bear

who there, has the concern about what there serving ?   our server was just a nervous type( shaking like a leaf, fear's for her job), the father was on his cell (doctor's) and the son(cook/grill master) with the attiude. gave me the death look, what u saying about my doog's theres nothing wrong with my dog's...................... just asked to put a lil' bit of heat in them.................

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/9/09 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          Dog Boss,

You crack me up. The cook gave you the death look! I know who you are talking about. And he does have a lousy attitude. His nickname around Linden is the Son of Satan. I will say that the last 2 times he has been civil to me. Don't know if he's somehow changed or if it was because the owner, who has a reputation as a bit of a tyrant, was standing there. As for the dogs, most of the time they've been fine, but a few times I've gotten an old dog that wasn't hot enough.

Regarding the Rahway Grill, I've probably been there less than 10 times but always enjoyed the dogs. They close early and I'm usually working, so I don't get a chance to go often. I'm glad we included it on the Tour and I'm delighted at the positive response. But I can believe that there may have been old dogs on the grill. I say this because a friend of mine told me on Saturday that he went last week and got a dog that was old, lacked taste, and was cold. It was served by someone other than Fran or Ted.

It's too bad that every now and then you may have a bad experience. I am off Thursday and have to be in Rahway. I will probably make a stop at the Rahway Grill and if I do I'll tell Ted about what is posted here. I'm sure he would like to know. Hopefully my friend's experience and Dog Boss's are aberrations.
                                                          <message edited by John Fox on Mon, 11/9/09 3:29 PM>

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                                            • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/9/09 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                                            It's a shame when one gets the "death look" from a chef and/or owner!
                                                            Unfortunately, I guess that's why many folks go to big chains a lot , like Crapplebees..
                                                            oops , I mean Applebees...

Cause if they send something back, they know nobody really gives a darn...
                                                            there's no "chef" that will come out from the kitchen ready to beat you up!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > >> | Showing page 40 of 67, messages 1171 to 1200 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 5 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com