Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 69
Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10404
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/09 13:17:23 (permalink)
ken8038

Thanks David. So, if I buy a package at retail (see code 410 on the link) are they also gas flushed? The list seems to say that "retail" is different from "gas flushed". Maybe I'm just too analytical. I've been accused of that.

Gas Flushed Packaging and Vacuum Packaging are two different animals. Vacuum Packaging removes all the air in the package. Gas Flushed packaging replaces the air with an inert gas. For example, Hot Dogs are Vacuum Packed. Fresh meat, like the packs of Hamburger, (Not the Chubs) at Walmart are Gas Flushed. You can tell because the packages tend to have a little bubble to them and when you puncture the film, it will "Deflate". Hint- If the package doesn't have a bubble, the seal has been broken. don't buy that one.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/10 06:27:41 (permalink)
Yesterday I visited 2 places that will be on the upcoming New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Papaya King, located in the Corrado Shopping Center on Getty Ave in Clifton, and the Getty Grill, which specializes in Texas Weiners, right across the street.

I enjoyed the dogs I had at both places, but wanted to comment on what great values they both are. Under Frank, the new owner of Papaya King, the dogs went from $1.99 to $1.49. And weekdays from 4-6:30, they are 99 cents. Excellent  for a very high quality natural casing all beef dog that's been prepared well on a griddle. The dogs are 10/1. Contrast this to the dirty water carts that charge $2 for a tiny 12/1 boiled dog.

At the Getty Grill they normally charge $1.69 for a Hot Texas Weiner. This is great compared to similar places. The Hot Grill is over 2 bucks now, which isn't bad, but the Getty Grill pays 60 plus cents more a lb for their Thumann's dogs.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of the Getty Grill, so they have been having a special. 3 Texas weiners for $3! And 3 quarter pound hamburgers for $3. This is almost unheard of. This special will go on past the Tour although the owner doesn't know how long he can sell 3 quarter pound burgers for $3, and may be ending the burger special soon.

I suggest trying either or both of these places. The Getty Grill is also open 24 hours and has a typical diner menu, but they are known for their Texas weiners. A real old time roadside hole in the wall.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/11 12:41:10 (permalink)
Foodbme

big g in joisey

Looks like the famous WindMill franks made by Sabrett / Marathon, quite a few locations in NJ, they use to serve the same at Callahan's before they closed.

What makes them different?

As stated by our fellow roadfood enthusiasts this dog is at least a 1/4 lb and a 50/50  pork & beef blend, usually deep fried. The two more common way to prepare Sabretts's are to cook them on a flat grill / griddle, see Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City nj, Papaya King in NY city and Clifton nj, Grey's Papaya in NYC, or to cook them in hot water. Anyway you choose to cook them still a great tasting dog. Johnny & Hanges in Fairlawn,NJ also serve this great dog.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/11 12:51:46 (permalink)
joerogo

Hey Gang, Thanks for helping me out with the info.  I tried to peel off the Foodtown label, but the label below came off with it.

They are a pork and beek mix, made special just for Windmill and they are fantastic.

Because they are sooo huge, I started them off in a pot of simmering water for about 5-7 minutes, then put then on a hot gas grill.  Once they split open, I let them grill on the split until they were blazing hot with a nice crisp skin.  I used a larger soft steak roll and topped them with mustard, onion and a little Sabrett's red onion sauce.

Big G, One guy took a bite and said, "this is the dog I usually get at Callahan's, but they closed down".  He said he liked their Italian Dog also.

joerogo, how do you think they would taste with Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and some red and green peppers.
Supersize Mealies for anyone.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/11 14:50:04 (permalink)
big g in joisey

joerogo

Hey Gang, Thanks for helping me out with the info.  I tried to peel off the Foodtown label, but the label below came off with it.

They are a pork and beek mix, made special just for Windmill and they are fantastic.

Because they are sooo huge, I started them off in a pot of simmering water for about 5-7 minutes, then put then on a hot gas grill.  Once they split open, I let them grill on the split until they were blazing hot with a nice crisp skin.  I used a larger soft steak roll and topped them with mustard, onion and a little Sabrett's red onion sauce.

Big G, One guy took a bite and said, "this is the dog I usually get at Callahan's, but they closed down".  He said he liked their Italian Dog also.

joerogo, how do you think they would taste with Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and some red and green peppers.

If I was going to "The Chair", that would be my last request!

big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/11 22:20:09 (permalink)

That and a tray of Cebula's.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10404
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/11 23:06:45 (permalink)
big g in joisey

Clue us in. What'sa tray of Cebula's??
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/12 06:41:12 (permalink)
Foodbme

big g in joisey

Clue us in. What'sa tray of Cebula's??

Foodbme, Check out this thread.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=545509&high=cebula

Very unique pizza.

yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/13 23:33:06 (permalink)
Two things:

1 - Thanks for the Cebula's. I'm going to make a trip out there. :) I usually make a trip once a year to Hazleton for Senape's Pitza. I buy like 20 boxes of it and bring it home. We eat 2 or 3 boxes on the way back. Best "pizza" I've ever had and I hate it warm. Got to be eaten cold. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and ask if they'll ship me some.

2 - I went to the closest Sonic near me tonight. Route 27 in hmm maybe South Brunswick or Franklin Park, NJ or something. I had to try the foot long coney. Although I feel the dog is a good value at $2.99 and I'd eat it again, it wasn't anything special. I like my dogs fried and the chili tastes kind of like a Hormel or something. I forgot to ask for onions, but that's okay.

This was my Girlfriends first experience with a Sonic. She loved that we can park in our car and not even get up.. she didn't like when she made a mess in the car though. I recommended her to get a Frito Chili Pie. She had a cali cheese burger, which she said was very good.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/15 08:50:26 (permalink)
yuppicide

Two things:

1 - Thanks for the Cebula's. I'm going to make a trip out there. :) I usually make a trip once a year to Hazleton for Senape's Pitza. I buy like 20 boxes of it and bring it home. We eat 2 or 3 boxes on the way back. Best "pizza" I've ever had and I hate it warm. Got to be eaten cold. One of these days I'm going to get off my butt and ask if they'll ship me some.

2 - I went to the closest Sonic near me tonight. Route 27 in hmm maybe South Brunswick or Franklin Park, NJ or something. I had to try the foot long coney. Although I feel the dog is a good value at $2.99 and I'd eat it again, it wasn't anything special. I like my dogs fried and the chili tastes kind of like a Hormel or something. I forgot to ask for onions, but that's okay.

This was my Girlfriends first experience with a Sonic. She loved that we can park in our car and not even get up.. she didn't like when she made a mess in the car though. I recommended her to get a Frito Chili Pie. She had a cali cheese burger, which she said was very good.

and soon enough, you'll have a sonic right out in front of menlo mall............. no travel needed  ,lol
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/15 08:59:30 (permalink)
made a road trip out to CPR yesterday............. bought with me 3 fellows that received there first real food experience , there reaction to this fine place ,was, what i expected ........... the wife had the same on our first trip out there. one in the party stated, i really think, i'm not eating more then one hot dog................................ well, 5  Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and peppers , mealies later !!!!!!. we had a new customer !!!!!! 

other two fellows  in the party had four each................ and were sold on some of the best HOT DOGS they ever had !!!!!

Charlie' s pool room has done it again !!!!!!!!!!
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/15 18:02:53 (permalink)
Ahhhhhhh Mealies

This would be my last request also !!

CPR is the best !!!

Benzee
hondoman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/21 17:22:43 (permalink)
has anyone found the windmill hotdogs for sale closer to home here in nj? used to go to callahans every sunday for many years, i miss those dogs!
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/22 09:42:12 (permalink)
My local King's Supermarket sells Windmill hotdogs every Summer.
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/08/22 12:59:37 (permalink)
Dog Boss

made a road trip out to CPR yesterday............. bought with me 3 fellows that received there first real food experience , there reaction to this fine place ,was, what i expected ........... the wife had the same on our first trip out there. one in the party stated, i really think, i'm not eating more then one hot dog................................ well, 5  Grandma Fencez's onion sauce and peppers , mealies later !!!!!!. we had a new customer !!!!!! 

other two fellows  in the party had four each................ and were sold on some of the best HOT DOGS they ever had !!!!!

Charlie' s pool room has done it again !!!!!!!!!!

update:  two of the fellows have made a return trip already, one took his girlfriend, the other stopped had 3 in, then took 12 yes  12 for the road.......
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/05 02:29:38 (permalink)
I have the worst luck/work schedule. I always seem to be in Alpha/Phillipsburg on Mondays. :( Of course the Fencez brothers are entitled to a day off every now and then, lol.

Dave
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/15 18:11:32 (permalink)
News 12 New Jersey visited Jimmy Buff's East Hanover restaurant today for a segment on their "Best Kept Secrets of NJ" show which will be aired Thur. Sept. 23rd all day long on channel 12 news. The piece will focus on Jimmy Buff's, it's history, and the upcoming New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

For some pictures, check this facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1721011054#!/pages/East-Hanover-NJ/Jimmy-Buffs/102457691340?ref=ts
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/15 19:13:11 (permalink)
If your cable provider doesn't carry News 12, you can watch the piece on their website.
http://www.news12.com/index.jsp?regionId=2
Scroll down to "watch live."

acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/20 14:59:47 (permalink)
Well, my wife and I made our annual mid September trip from NEPA to Corrados in Clifton NJ for our grapes for this year's wine making. We always take in a Jersey dog or two while we're there. This year we opted for Getty Grill right across the street.
I ordered 2 Texas Wieners all the way with fries and my wife ordered 1 all the way and also a chicken gyro with fries. We both agreed the chili sauce was exceptional with a nice spiciness and the dogs were tasty. The buns however, were a disappointment being that they were a bit stale. Surprising, given it was Saturday right around lunchtime.
My wife's chicken gyro was also disappointing and yes I know you don't normally order chicken in a gyro, but she prefers chicken.
The fries were run of the mill, nothing special but not bad either. Just like fries you get at a million other places.
I'd rate  Getty grill a 6 out of 10 overall and a 7 out of 10 on the wieners because of the stale buns. If not for that, I'd give them a 10 on the dogs.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/20 17:43:08 (permalink)
Have you had a hot dog at Papaya King right in the Corrado's shopping center?
acoustic blues
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 86
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/20 18:31:06 (permalink)
John, yes, I've had the dogs at Papaya's at Corrados. It was last year so I can't comment much other than I do remember it was very good.

Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/20 22:10:03 (permalink)
Hello Hot Dog Fans
We do have a few seats left for the Hot Dg Tour this Sat sept 25th
Go to meets and greets page , hot dog tour for more info
Or PM myself or John fox on here
Thanks Benzee
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/23 12:16:58 (permalink)
the family and i , were really digging HOFFMANS RED HOT'S  , were grilling and frying them .............. buying 5 lbs at a time from our local wegman's food store , found in there deli section !!!!!! the boy, who is 12 yr's  old , say's there is favorite hot dog.............. #1 hoffmans  #2 shickhaus  #3 thumanns #4 sabrett  #5 for him is a local 100% sirloin dog we get......................
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/23 12:25:47 (permalink)
You can get Hofmann's Red Hots loose at Wegmans in Woodbridge, or get a big bag like you do. They no longer sell Thumann's loose. Although I prefer Thumann's, the guy behind the counter told me that Hofmann's outsells them 2 to 1. Where do you get the sirloin dog?
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/23 13:41:43 (permalink)
Where do you get the sirloin dog?    European provisions  on old bridge pkwy, ( south river / east brunswick ) .

thumanns and shickhaus  both can be found at woodbridge shop rite .................
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/23 17:48:41 (permalink)
The piece which aired on News 12 New Jersey.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/video/video.php?v=1519679005275

I spoke in depth about the Tour and all the work Benzee does. Unfortunately that wasn't included. I'm glad they did a piece on Jimmy Buff's and mentioned the Tour.

I did a dry run yesterday and spoke with the owners of the places we will be visiting. Everything is set. One place, The Garage in Millburn, is very close to where the legendary Syd's used to be. They get a lot of Syd's old customers. Syd's opened in 1941 in Newark and had many owners. In 1967 Syd's moved to the Millburn Mall in Union and remained there until they closed for good 2 or 3 years ago. Lenny and Betty Weiss owned Syd's longer than anyone; from 1967 to 1996. They will be at the Garage to say hello to us Saturday.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/24 15:11:52 (permalink)
Is there a ballpark time you expect to arrive at The Garage?  MillburnPatch wants to cover the event and would like to know roughly when the buses arrive.
Benzee
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/24 16:49:32 (permalink)
Hello John ,
I would say around 1 or 2 it is the second stop on the tour
Double check with John Fox
Benzee
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/24 17:59:16 (permalink)
Hard to say. Depends on when we leave the Rahway Grill. I'd say between 1:30 and 2 PM. I will be calling the Garage when we are on the way.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2010/09/26 09:34:07 (permalink)
Props to John and Benzee, it was a great day!
Page: << < ..4647484950.. > >> Showing page 47 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1