The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > >> | Showing page 50 of 67, messages 1471 to 1500 of 1989
ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/3/11 9:59 AM (permalink)
Dateline, Jimmy Buff's, Kenilworth, N.J.---Good news, according to a friend who went to Kenilworth, New Jersey's,  Jimmy Buff's a few days ago. He reports that the crew, none of whom he recognized from our Day #2 visit, took his order and promptly had his single Italian hot dog and a friend's double sausage, ready, and perfectly prepared, in about 10 minutes flat.

The Bear

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/3/11 6:01 PM (permalink)
    I stopped by the new Jimmy Buff's last week-we had one double combo, one double frank, and one double sausage.  If there was a quarter of a pepper among all three sandwiches it would be a lot.  Sausage was a bit 'meh', dogs were fine.  There is a high counter, so you can't see the cooks assembling the sandwiches.  Very dry and humorless staff.  I think I'll stick with E. Hanover.

foobuc

• Total Posts: 150
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/3/11 8:21 PM (permalink)
      so  if someone on here works for J Buffs Kenilworth  or knows someone who does, tell them  that THEY NEED TO PUT MORE PEPPERS ON THEIR ITALIAN HOT DOGS!! 

SuperDog

• Total Posts: 36
        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/6/11 2:06 AM (permalink)
        The best ones I've had are from Pulaski from NJ, their wedding sausage is to die for, well, actually every sausage/hot dogs in their store is to die for - at least for me.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/6/11 6:54 AM (permalink)
          It's been a few years since I've been to Pulaski, but like every pork store/butcher shop I've been to, Pulaski makes good hot dogs. Beef and pork, but spicier than your normal German style frank. Probably because it's Polish owned and the Polish prefer a spicier sausage. Pulaski is located on Wood Ave. in Linden. You can get their franks and some of their other sausages in some A&P's in Union County.

I've since been back to Big Blues in Linden for an Italian Hot Dog. This time I went to the end of the store and watched my sandwich being made. The cook who prepared it spoke better English than the guy I questioned about the peppers last time. He told me that the peppers are NOT from a can or jar. They are prepared and marinated at Big Blues and cooked on the griddle. They put a good amount on, and they are very good. Tangy and a little different than what you get from other places. Once again the potatoes were excellent as was the whole sandwich. A ton of potatoes made this a very heavy sandwich. Well worth $5.75.

I wanted to return to Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth. Two days ago (Tuesday) I phoned in an order at 7PM. I was told that it would be at least 30 minutes even though I was picking it up. I told them to forget it and wound up at Big Blues for the second time in 2 weeks. I want to try Buff's again and hope that they get past their beginning stage. Hopefully they were just unusually busy.

Dog Boss

• Total Posts: 206
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/7/11 6:12 PM (permalink)
            John Fox

It's been a few years since I've been to Pulaski, but like every pork store/butcher shop I've been to, Pulaski makes good hot dogs. Beef and pork, but spicier than your normal German style frank. Probably because it's Polish owned and the Polish prefer a spicier sausage. Pulaski is located on Wood Ave. in Linden. You can get their franks and some of their other sausages in some A&P's in Union County.

I've since been back to Big Blues in Linden for an Italian Hot Dog. This time I went to the end of the store and watched my sandwich being made. The cook who prepared it spoke better English than the guy I questioned about the peppers last time. He told me that the peppers are NOT from a can or jar. They are prepared and marinated at Big Blues and cooked on the griddle. They put a good amount on, and they are very good. Tangy and a little different than what you get from other places. Once again the potatoes were excellent as was the whole sandwich. A ton of potatoes made this a very heavy sandwich. Well worth $5.75. ( yes.......it's been worth the stop............... )

I wanted to return to Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth. Two days ago (Tuesday) I phoned in an order at 7PM. I was told that it would be at least 30 minutes even though I was picking it up. I told them to forget it and wound up at Big Blues for the second time in 2 weeks. I want to try Buff's again and hope that they get past their beginning stage. Hopefully they were just unusually busy.
            New and theres a major time issue ................ i guess, no time trial's before opening the door for business ..... i guess no prior experience need ................................................

johnlockedema

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/7/11 6:57 PM (permalink)
              Just a heads up-yesterday I picked up a 5lb package (they don't sell them loose) of Hatfields natural casing beef/pork 8/lb hot dogs for $12.50 at the Green Village Packing Company in Green Village, NJ.  (Outside of Chatham).  They are a true slaughterhouse, with limited retail on Thurs/Fri (8-5:30) and Sat (8-3).  They also have great hanger steak, tri-tip, and whatever else you'd want from a butcher.  If you want something specific call ahead-973 377 0875.  I picked up two gorgeous NY strips 2" thick that they sliced and trimmed to order.  Since it's a slaughterhouse the retail room does have a funky smell, just wanted to warn you!

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 01/8/11 6:29 AM (permalink)
                I was off from work Thursday so I decided to give Jimmy Buff's another shot. I called in my order shortly after 1 PM and was told the wait would be 15 minutes. I got there a little after 10 minutes and my Italian Hot Dog and my wife's single sausage sandwich was there waiting for me.

The sandwich was very good. The bread (same as Big Blues) is quality pizza bread; definitely in my top 3 along with Sorrento's in East Hanover and Carmen's in Union. The peppers, hot dogs and potatoes were still hot and cooked perfectly. The hot dogs in my opinion are way too small. The potatoes are plentiful and have the right amount of grease. They are as good (and maybe better) than any potatoes you will find on an Italian Hot Dog. The few peppers I had (like about 5) were tasty and nice and soft the way I like them. But way too few. My wife had just one pepper on her sausage sandwich!

Overall I like the sandwich as the ingredients are very good and prepared just right. But the dogs are tiny and the peppers are almost non existent. If the owner would use bigger dogs and give more peppers, his sandwich would rival his cousin's.

Big Blues uses bigger dogs, gives a good amount of peppers, and while Buff's puts a good amount of potatoes on the sandwich, Blues puts on so many you have to take some off. And the cost is $5.75 with tax compared to over $7.00. After eating the whole sandwich at Buff's I was satisfied. After Big Blues I was stuffed.

I do like both places but Buff's really should put on more than a few peppers.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 01/8/11 12:16 PM (permalink)
                  Johnlockedema: Thanks for the tip on the Green Village Packing Company. It always amazes me that these sort of places exist in NJ and they NEVER get any publicity, yet they seem to offer a superior product. I see they have a website. I'm going to give them a try for steaks and Hot dogs soon:
                  http://www.greenvillagepacking.com/

John Fox: Thanks for another review of Kenilworth Jimmy Buffs. From the variations from visit to visit on how they prepare the Italian Dogs, it looks like they are not training thier help very well and not "minding the store"  either.

I definately need to get to Big Blues.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/13/11 7:32 PM (permalink)
                    <<I definately need to get to Big Blues. >>

Well, today I did, for an Italian Double Hot Dog and let me tll you all this is one hell of a sandwich! It must weigh at least 2 pounds, all of it tasty and terrific. I was really impressed with the bread, it held up very well against the mountain of potatoes, onions and peppers that were packed inside.

This place is a real find (that's only been there for at least 40 years). That's one of the big differences I find between NY and NJ. If this place was in Brooklyn for example, the bloggers would have been all over it years ago. In NJ, hardly anyone outside Linden has ever heard of it. Thanks again John for getting the word out to us.

ScreenBear

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/13/11 9:36 PM (permalink)
                      I continue to be amazed. I am a hot dog enthusiast. I have several friends who are hot dog aficionados. And yet, until recently, I never heard of Big Blues, the biggest news to hit HotDogVille since, well, Jimmy Buff's opened its Kenilworth store. 

How could this have eluded us? Is someone playing a trick on us? If we look at old photos of the Big Blues location, will the restaurant be there?   Is this the Twilight Zone episode about the great new  Italian Hot Dog restaurant in Linden, N.J., ....the episode they lost and hence never showed?
                        The Bear

John Fox

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/14/11 8:01 AM (permalink)
                          The above link is an article in the Star Ledger about a new truck called Soup or Dogs. The owner, Betsy Penrose, is a former coworker of mine who left to open her Soup Store in Rahway. Known as the Soup Lady she now has her truck serving both soup and hot dogs.

I disgree with Pete Genovese who says that you come here for the soup. I come for the hot dogs. Dirty water Sabretts with a natural casing that are prepared right which means they are hot enough, fresh, and not left in the water too long. What sets Betsy's dogs apart from others is the chili. The dogs are great with just mustard, but the chili is very tasty and beefy. Not overly spicy. I like it better than Dees in Roselle Park which is where I usually go when in the mood for a dirty water Sabrett.

I was going to post about Soup or Dogs but Betsy suggested I wait until she moved to her current location (RT 27 in Iselin) and made a few changes to her chili. I forgot if she was going to add more varieties or change her current chili which is fine by the way. I didn't get around to returning, but I will soon as I have some time off next week. Check out the dogs. If you're a soup person, hers are considered very good. I can't get past the hot dogs.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/19/11 7:07 PM (permalink)
                            Out of this World is the name of a new hot dog restaurant that will be opening on Galloping Hill Rd. and Westfield Ave. in Elizabeth. This is the site of the former Philadelphia Grille. I spoke with the owner and got some information about the hot dogs that will be offered. They will be serving two types. A Thumann's deep fryer and a Vienna Beef hot dog. The place will specialize in a variety of toppings including a Texas Weiner chili. The Vienna beef dog will be served separately or in a Chicago style hot dog. From talking with the owner who will be running the restaurant with her son, I can tell they know what they are doing. I havehave high hopes for Out of this World. The ingredients will be shipped in from Chicago including the special neon green relish. The dogs will be heated (not boiled) in water. If you just order a beef dog (Vienna) and not a Chicago style, you can have it prepared the way you want. The dogs will be natural casing and 6 to a lb.

There will also be Polish Sausage sandwiches and a special dog of the month which will be made of an exotic sausage such as alligator. Similar to Hot Doug's out of Chicago.

I'm looking forward to their opening which will be February 1st. The only other place in New Jersey that I know of where you can get a Vienna Beef frank is a place in Matawan called the Cheesesteak Factory. I was there and the dogs weren't prepared well at all. They were a sickening greenish gray. The owners of Out of this World have done a lot of research regarding New Jersey and Chicago Hot Dogs and are looking forward to opening and serving the first authentic Chicago style hot dog since J's Beef in Linden closed 4 years ago.

johnlockedema

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/19/11 7:47 PM (permalink)
                              Funny story.  My dad winters in Palm Springs, but he doesn't leave until after Xmas.  He calls me yesterday and asks 'did you have one of your cars serviced and billed to my credit card?'  I told him no, and he asked 'did I tell your son Peter he could have some service done on his Jeep?'  Again, I said no, why are you asking.  He says 'I've got a $140 charge on my credit card from Teddy's Garage.'

I had to remind him that he took us all out (including six grandchildren) one night for hot dogs and hamburgers-at The Garage here in Millburn!

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/21/11 7:22 AM (permalink)
                                That is funny!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6082
                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/21/11 11:11 AM (permalink)
                                   !!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                    RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/21/11 1:21 PM (permalink)
                                    They have hot dogs in New Jersey?

leethebard

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/21/11 1:56 PM (permalink)
                                      Michael Hoffman

They have hot dogs in New Jersey?

More per square inch than anywhere else!!!!!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 01/21/11 2:04 PM (permalink)

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/25/11 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                          Due to ongoing construction, the opening of Out of this World will be delayed until March 1st.

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 01/25/11 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                            My Aunt is moving to Florida, so I went to say goodbye. She had a house in Middlesex and I grew up in Green Brook half of my life, so what better reason to take the 30 - 40 minute drive back for Texas Weiners!

I went to J&G in Dunellen. I like their dogs a lot. I ordered 10 and they threw in a free one. My Girifriend went outside to "get some fresh air", but later on she says it's because I blushed at the girl behind the counter because I was talking to her. I didn't even know I was blushing, but I believe it was because of the free hot dog. Because I got so many dogs, they put them in a box I found out they use Grote & Weigel. Nice flavor and snap. I'm gonna order some for myself.

On the way home I got to thinking. There's McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, and countless other burger franchises.. how come I don't see any huge hot dog franchises.. or heck I don't know of any at all! I also don't know of any drive-thru hot dog places. You can't count some place like Sonic who has a hot dog on their menu once in awhile. I mean a place that's purely dogs and fries and such.

leethebard

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/26/11 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                              Hell...and why don't most fast food burger joints even offer a hotdog??...Lord they'd be easy enough to mass produce!!

ScreenBear

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/26/11 10:30 AM (permalink)
                                                Many hot dog aficionados agree that fanciers of the frankfurter prefer their tube steak emporiums to evoke individuality, to have character... all of which is usually lost in a chain. 

However, there are indeed  a few hot dog chains, most of which I believe are out West. I.e.-- Wienerschnitzel.

Insofar as burger chains adding hot dogs, I once had a frank that was being test marketed at McDonald's in Middlebury, Vermont. All beef, it was OK.  But I guess the test didn't end positively. Doubtless, it has to do with profit, or rather the lack thereof. 
                                                  The Bear

leethebard

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/26/11 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                                  Ah yes, profit....a crappy hotdog,I think,is easier to spot by taste than a crappy hamburger...remember "all beef" simply means came from a cow...a friend who once worked in a "trashburger" factory told me Micky d's added bone marrow to the ground meat!

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/27/11 8:11 AM (permalink)
                                                    One reason why there are no national hot dog chains is that hot dogs are mostly regional. A quality all beef dog wouldn't sell in many regions where they prefer blander low quality dogs. Nathan's and Weinerschnitzel are probably the closest thing to national chains.

People go to Burger King and McDonalds for hamburgers, not hot dogs. Dunkin Donuts was supposed to offer a hot dog in New England. I don't think that ever happenned.

johnlockedema

• Location: Short Hills, NJ
                                                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 01/27/11 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                                      John, they failed with their Howdy Beefburger chain, but I don't know if they sold hot dogs there as well.  There's a nice thread about Howdy in the hamburger forum.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                                        • Location: Bullville , NY
                                                        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/30/11 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        Hello all ,

If John and Joe would ever give up their recipe for Grandmas Hungarian sauce I'm sure I could make Charlies Pool Room a National Chain  (:
                                                        Benzee

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                                                          • Location: edison, NJ
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/4/11 8:28 PM (permalink)
                                                          I hadn't even thought of those chains you mentioned. Oops.. how stupid of me. Nathan's sucks, though.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                                            • Location: Middletown, NY
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/4/11 9:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            yuppicide

I hadn't even thought of those chains you mentioned. Oops.. how stupid of me. Nathan's sucks, though.

The problem with Nathans is that they just have lost any kind of consistency or quality control over the product. There is a HUGE difference between the Nathans you get at Stilwell and Surf, and the one your local gas station sells.  In the past, the only place you could get Nathans was at Coney Island. Then it was big deal when the Handwerker family opened a couple of satellite branches - one on Long Island and one in Yonkers. Then it was a REALLY big deal when they opened a branch at Times Square.  As far as I know, all of those branches were directly under control of the original family company. And no surprise, they were actually GOOD.  The dog and fries you got at TS was exactly the same as you got at Coney Island. 

Somewhere along the line, something happened though.  They closed the branch stores, and started licensing the name and product to organizations like the Riesce group for use in urban food courts, and no surprise, the quality suffered. They also licensed the product and name to people who specialized in airports and such, and the quality suffered. Then somebody got to sell the idea of the 'Nathans at your local gas station' - where frankly, I dont even know how they cook them. Again, the product got even worse. However,  they also seem to  have a separate divison which sells individual franchises for malls - and some of those are actually pretty good - the one in my local mall actually does a decent job, as the dogs and fries are cooked exactly the way they are supposed to be, so I assume that somehow the corporation has better quality control over the standards at these locations.

So I perceive Nathans problem to be lack of consistency, due to the scattershot manner in the way its product is distributed, and overseen.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..41424344454647484950.. > >> | Showing page 50 of 67, messages 1471 to 1500 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 5 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com