Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 54 of 68
Author
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/05/11 18:58:08 (permalink)
Dog Boss

Hey , what's going on here ? no new discoveries , no places going out of business ? any new places that opened ? .............. very very quite around here !!!

Hey, did anyone ever try Dan's Dogs in Atlantic Highlands located on First Avenue near the Atlantic Highlands Marina. He has been in Jersey Joes for a sausage sandwich now-and-then. I'd review it myself but I'm really not a fan a dirty water dogs.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2327
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/06 21:21:10 (permalink)
Jack's Frank & Fries is a new hot dog restaurant that's been open a little over a week. They haven't had a Grand Opening yet and are still in their "soft opening" stage. Located in a small strip mall on Rt. 22 West in Union behind the Sprint store, Jack's is a small clean restaurant with some stools and a counter for eating in.

I stopped in yesterday and sampled their hot dogs, hot dog chili, regular chili (with beans) and two types of cole slaw; creamy and vinegary. The chili and coleslaw are homemade. For me the hot dogs are what I come for first and foremost. Everything else is secondary, but certainly adds to or detracts from the experience.

The dogs are natural casing Sabrett all beef, 8/1. They are prepared 2 ways. Steamed or on a flat top griddle. The steamed dogs are actually steamed in a special compartment, not heated in hot water with the top covered which is what many consider steamed. I had my dogs grilled on the flat top. They were done just right and put on potato buns from Stroehmann's which made for a good frank to bun ratio. A Martin's roll would have been too big for this particular dog. I sampled 3 mustards which they are currently experimenting with. Admiration deli mustard, Gold's deli mustard, and Gold's dusseldorf. All 3 are great, but I prefer Admiration for a spicy beef dog.

The natural casing Sabrett's here are on the same level as the best places in New Jersey and New York that serve them. Namely Papaya King, Gray's, Katz's, Dover Grill, and Boulevard Drinks. I prefer the dogs here to the Papaya places and Boulevard Drinks because the frank is a better size. BVoulevard Drinks uses a tiny 12/1 frank. Papaya King claims a 10/1, though to my eye it appears smaller. I've heard that they use franks that are anywhere from 12 to 10 to a lb. At 8/1, Jack's is a good size. Katz's deli in NYC uses a 7/1. But they charge close to $4.00 for it. Jack's is much closer to me and more affordable, charging more than a dollar less than Katz's, but using the same recipe natural casing frank and preparing them in smaller quantitites. Jack's is now my favorite place to get a grilled Sabrett natural casing dog. From talking with the owner I am confident that they will maintain consistency. It's always a good sign when the owner is there serving you your hot dog.

I had one dog with mustard and one with mustard and chili. The chili here is very good. Thick as opposed to the thin Passaic/Clifton area Texas Weiner sauce, it had a hint of chocolate and is very similar to the chili served at Amazing Hot Dog. Highly recommended. The regular chili had beans and was much thicker. It too was good and had a good amount of heat. I preferred the hot dog chili.

The homemade coleslaws were tasty and fresh. The vinegar coleslaw was very crunchy (maybe too much so) and the creamy coleslaw had a little bit of mustard and is patterned after Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Eric, who owns Jack's with his wife Linda, is from Pittsburgh. I would definitely order the creamy coleslaw when I return.

Jack's offers traditional toppings along with a lot of untraditional ones such as sambal and cream cheese that I believe are a waste and do not belong on a quality frankfurter. To me they serve to mask rather than complement the actual frankfurter which should be what is focused on. Same criticism I had of Amazing Hot Dog except that Jack's dogs were served piping hot while Amazing often served theirs cool or even cold. But I do realize that many people like and seek out such toppings. I'll stick to mustard and maybe chili.

Jack's serves a great hot dog. It is prepared well, which too many places today get wrong. I will definitely be back and am strongly considering adding them to the 8th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10101
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 03:16:09 (permalink)
John Fox

Jack's Frank & Fries is a new hot dog restaurant that's been open a little over a week. They haven't had a Grand Opening yet and are still in their "soft opening" stage. Located in a small strip mall on Rt. 22 West in Union behind the Sprint store, Jack's is a small clean restaurant with some stools and a counter for eating in.

I stopped in yesterday and sampled their hot dogs, hot dog chili, regular chili (with beans) and two types of cole slaw; creamy and vinegary. The chili and coleslaw are homemade. For me the hot dogs are what I come for first and foremost. Everything else is secondary, but certainly adds to or detracts from the experience.

The dogs are natural casing Sabrett all beef, 8/1. They are prepared 2 ways. Steamed or on a flat top griddle. The steamed dogs are actually steamed in a special compartment, not heated in hot water with the top covered which is what many consider steamed. I had my dogs grilled on the flat top. They were done just right and put on potato buns from Stroehmann's which made for a good frank to bun ratio. A Martin's roll would have been too big for this particular dog. I sampled 3 mustards which they are currently experimenting with. Admiration deli mustard, Gold's deli mustard, and Gold's dusseldorf. All 3 are great, but I prefer Admiration for a spicy beef dog.

The natural casing Sabrett's here are on the same level as the best places in New Jersey and New York that serve them. Namely Papaya King, Gray's, Katz's, Dover Grill, and Boulevard Drinks. I prefer the dogs here to the Papaya places and Boulevard Drinks because the frank is a better size. BVoulevard Drinks uses a tiny 12/1 frank. Papaya King claims a 10/1, though to my eye it appears smaller. I've heard that they use franks that are anywhere from 12 to 10 to a lb. At 8/1, Jack's is a good size. Katz's deli in NYC uses a 7/1. But they charge close to $4.00 for it. Jack's is much closer to me and more affordable, charging more than a dollar less than Katz's, but using the same recipe natural casing frank and preparing them in smaller quantitites. Jack's is now my favorite place to get a grilled Sabrett natural casing dog. From talking with the owner I am confident that they will maintain consistency. It's always a good sign when the owner is there serving you your hot dog.

I had one dog with mustard and one with mustard and chili. The chili here is very good. Thick as opposed to the thin Passaic/Clifton area Texas Weiner sauce, it had a hint of chocolate and is very similar to the chili served at Amazing Hot Dog. Highly recommended. The regular chili had beans and was much thicker. It too was good and had a good amount of heat. I preferred the hot dog chili.

The homemade coleslaws were tasty and fresh. The vinegar coleslaw was very crunchy (maybe too much so) and the creamy coleslaw had a little bit of mustard and is patterned after Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Eric, who owns Jack's with his wife Linda, is from Pittsburgh. I would definitely order the creamy coleslaw when I return.

Jack's offers traditional toppings along with a lot of untraditional ones such as sambal and cream cheese that I believe are a waste and do not belong on a quality frankfurter. To me they serve to mask rather than complement the actual frankfurter which should be what is focused on. Same criticism I had of Amazing Hot Dog except that Jack's dogs were served piping hot while Amazing often served theirs cool or even cold. But I do realize that many people like and seek out such toppings. I'll stick to mustard and maybe chili.

Jack's serves a great hot dog. It is prepared well, which too many places today get wrong. I will definitely be back and am strongly considering adding them to the 8th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

An endorsement from you is better than being on Oprah!!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 09:12:12 (permalink)
Thanks John, sounds like a great addition to the local scene. I'll get there soon. I just hope enough people can find Jack's to make it a success, it sounds like it's not all that visible from 22.
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 14:06:37 (permalink)
Funny, that's almost the same location as the now retired Charlies Sons I was asking about last week.

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 872
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 14:17:35 (permalink)
John Fox

This surprises me a little, because I would consider the coleslaw from Primanti's to be all the way on the vinegar side of the vinegar-creamy coleslaw spectrum.

(I do appreciate your detailed reviews, John. Your careful, detailed reviews are a model I try to emulate.)
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 15:12:00 (permalink)
Ralph,

I was wrong about the slaw. Eric the owner corrected me and said the vinegar slaw is the one patterned after Primanti's. He also said that someone from Pittsburgh would probably pick up on it. Good observation! This particular slaw was too crunchy because it was made in the morning and the cabbage needs a day or so to settle down.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/07 19:35:15 (permalink)
John ,
Excellent report as usual , thanks for the heads up on a new place for dogs
Benzee
hummelgal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/09 15:23:01 (permalink)
Haven't been on Roadfood for a long time but I'm back.  I'm a hotdog fanatic too.  Hard deciding which dog I liked best but I've finally settled on Hummel Big Bites.  Quarter pound hotdogs that are THE BOMB.  My problem with other dogs is they are small. You eat one of these and you've had a little roll with your hotdog instead of a little hotdog with your roll. 
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/10 08:42:19 (permalink)
hummelgal .... You eat one of these and you've had a little roll with your hotdog instead of a little hotdog with your roll. 

Have you ever tried a real "REAL" Double Italian Hot Dog? 

DanielPriceXYZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/10 13:53:17 (permalink)
A question to those who would know better to me.  I was talking to someone on Facebook about Dickie Dee's chunky potatoes vs. Jimmy Buff's sliced potatoes.  He seems to be very pro-Dickie Dee's and claims Jimmy Buff's is not what it was years ago.  He also claimed that at one time Jimmy Buff's used cubed potatoes rather than sliced.  My memories go back to about '71 or '72 when I was a little kid, and as far as I can remember, JB always used sliced potatoes.

Anyone know any differently?  And to be honest, I can't really taste any noticeable difference over the years.  I was in Los Angeles for 19 years before moving back in Sept.  So it had been awhile since I had been eating Italian Hot Dogs, and Jimmy's still taste great.

Thanks, all!

Dan
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/12 08:33:05 (permalink)
DanielPriceXYZ 

... Jimmy Buff's is not what it was years ago...

Anyone know any differently?  And to be honest, I can't really taste any noticeable difference over the years.  I was in Los Angeles for 19 years before moving back in Sept.  So it had been awhile since I had been eating Italian Hot Dogs, and Jimmy's still taste great.

Thanks, all!

Dan

I personally have only been to the Rte. 22 location recently but my customers tell me JB's is not the same as it used to be. I can not attest to that as I did not frequent JB years ago.
I do not claim to be an expert on others Italian Hot Dogs .... just my own! We use sliced potatoes.  

Jersey Joe

post edited by JerseyJoe - 2011/06/12 08:34:58
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/12 09:47:38 (permalink)
Rest assured that the Italian Hot Dogs at the  Jimmy Buff's locations I frequent---East Hanover and Kenilworth, N.J.---are as good as ever. They are one of the main reasons to remain in or visit N.J. Insofar as wedge-shaped potatoes, I don't recall Buff's ever using them...it's been sliced potatoes for the decades I've been visiting their different establishments. As it was at Amato's, Hawthorne Avenue, and later Lyons Ave., Newark, N.J., my favorite neighborhood Italian Hot Dog purveyor growing up.

Just to be sure quality is being kept up, I had an early Father's Day luncheon treat at the Kenilworth Buff's location yesterday. It was superb. 

The Bear
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/12 13:32:30 (permalink)
ScreenBear
Rest assured that the Italian Hot Dogs at the  Jimmy Buff's locations I frequent---East Hanover and Kenilworth, N.J.---are as good as ever. 
The Bear

What about the West Orange location?  

Anyone else been there lately?  I was there about a year ago.  It's less than 10 min from me.  Could not believe how shabby it was.  Cleanliness was very much an issue.   Hard to believe it is owned by the same people who run the E Hanover place.  Will not be returning.
ed
John Fox
Re:Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/12 20:20:27 (permalink)
ScreenBear

Rest assured that the Italian Hot Dogs at the  Jimmy Buff's locations I frequent---East Hanover and Kenilworth, N.J.---are as good as ever. They are one of the main reasons to remain in or visit N.J. Insofar as wedge-shaped potatoes, I don't recall Buff's ever using them...it's been sliced potatoes for the decades I've been visiting their different establishments. As it was at Amato's, Hawthorne Avenue, and later Lyons Ave., Newark, N.J., my favorite neighborhood Italian Hot Dog purveyor growing up.

Just to be sure quality is being kept up, I had an early Father's Day luncheon treat at the Kenilworth Buff's location yesterday. It was superb. 

The Bear

I agree with Screenbear. To my knowledge Jimmy Buff's never used cubed potatoes. It's been a few years since I've been to West Orange, but the dogs were the same high quality as Kenilworth and East Hanover.

Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 206
Re:Jimmy Buff's/Dickie Dee's - style of potatoes 2011/06/14 11:48:14 (permalink)
WarmBeer

ScreenBear
Rest assured that the Italian Hot Dogs at the  Jimmy Buff's locations I frequent---East Hanover and Kenilworth, N.J.---are as good as ever. 
The Bear

What about the West Orange location?  

Anyone else been there lately?  I was there about a year ago.  It's less than 10 min from me.  Could not believe how shabby it was.  Cleanliness was very much an issue.   Hard to believe it is owned by the same people who run the E Hanover place.  Will not be returning.
ed

that's what i found at the scotch plains location ........... grease was on everything ........... i understand, that they  cook in grease , but come on, you need to clean up !!!!!
post edited by Dog Boss - 2011/06/14 11:49:27
Applecheeks
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 03:33:31 (permalink)
I have been going to Jimmy Buff's (starting with the the original location in Newark) since I was a teenager in the 1960's.  I do not remember them ever having anything but sliced potatoes.

I am not fond of Dickie Dee's.  The sandwich is much too greasy for my tastes.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 06:12:44 (permalink)
Thanks to John Lockedema and Ken8038 for posting about the Green Village Packing Co. They provide meats and provisions to many restaurants in the area. Located in Green Village, which I believe is a section of Chatam, they have a slaughterhouse on the premises and butcher and process all their meats.

While I have not been there yet, someone sent me a package of their German franks. As good a German frank as I've had and that includes Kocher's and Thumann's. I happenned to have a frank from the Union Pork Store (one of my favorites) and some Berks from Reading PA. I sampled all three and preferred the frank from Green Village. Long and thin at 8 to a lb, it had an excellent snap, texture, and most of all flavor. I wish I had a Kocher's and Thumann's to compare.

I spoke with Bill Kleemeyer whose family owns Green Village. He told me that the franks are pork/beef with a little more pork than beef. While these franks are purchased by delis most of their business is supplying meats to restaurants and other customers. In fact they supply Kocher's with the meats they use.

Green Village franks are top of the line and go for $4.19 a lb which is reasonable. Thumann's and Kocher's are about $5.99 per lb. The animals are slaughtered there, the meat is butchered, processed, and made into hot dogs. Can't get any fresher.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 06:14:19 (permalink)
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/16 21:11:29 (permalink)
John, I'm glad to see someone else besides me touting Green Village Packing. I have several cousins who live on that dead end street, Britten Road, and I've been a client for years. They had mentioned to me they tried to become a supplier for Galloping Hill but had no success! Their steaks are incredible, you can also get Tri Tip, hanger and flat iron steaks there as well. I go a few times a month, but their retail hours are limited. They do great roast pigs as a caterer too.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/17 01:25:02 (permalink)
John Fox
Here is their site: http://www.greenvillagepacking.com/

Not much on their web site. No contact info etc. Do you know if they ship?
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/17 19:44:27 (permalink)
Don't know if they ship. I'll ask next time I speak with Bill. Or you can e-mail them.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/18 00:39:56 (permalink)
John Fox
Don't know if they ship. I'll ask next time I speak with Bill. Or you can e-mail them.

That's the problem----There's NO contact info on the web site. They may as well not have a web site for all that's not available on there. You need to "Counsel" them!
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/18 06:05:38 (permalink)
If you go to their site and click on specials/catering you will find a telephone # and e-mail address.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/18 11:54:54 (permalink)
John Fox

If you go to their site and click on specials/catering you will find a telephone # and e-mail address.

That tool bar is blacked out unless you scroll over it and happen to land on the link. I never would have found the link if you didn't tip me off.
You need to tell them they need to get their money back from whomever designed that web site. I don't understand these kooky web designers that think cute artistics are more important than function.
Web sites should be designed to help the viewer be able to read them and get everyrthing they need EASILY!
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/18 23:47:28 (permalink)
Foodbme

John Fox

That tool bar is blacked out unless you scroll over it and happen to land on the link. I never would have found the link if you didn't tip me off.
You need to tell them they need to get their money back from whomever designed that web site. I don't understand these kooky web designers that think cute artistics are more important than function.
Web sites should be designed to help the viewer be able to read them and get everyrthing they need EASILY!

Green Village Packing does not ship, I was there yesterday and asked.  The current website is an improvement over the last!  Since I'd guess 95% of their business is wholesale they don't really get a benefit from having a sophisticated website.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/29 06:07:01 (permalink)
There will be an article on hot dogs in general and New Jersey hot dogs in particular this coming Saturday. If you live in Passaic or Bergen County, the article will be in the Herald and the Record. If you do not have access to these papers, you can read the article online at northjersey.com.

Benzee and the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour will be mentioned in the article.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/29 22:34:15 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Thanks to John in advance for the mention .  And we expect a big response to the tour after Sat as it will be in the paper . Anyone not reserved yet for the 8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour  for Sept 24th , please let me know so I can save  you roadfooders a seat
Benzee
JerseyJoe
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/06/30 07:17:52 (permalink)
Benzee

Hello all ,
Thanks to John in advance for the mention .  And we expect a big response to the tour after Sat as it will be in the paper . Anyone not reserved yet for the 8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour  for Sept 24th , please let me know so I can save  you roadfooders a seat
Benzee

Good Luck with your tour! If your tour decides to visit Central/South Jersey everyone is more than welcome in Jersey Joe's.

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2011/07/04 06:58:42 (permalink)
A link to an article in the New Jersey Leisure Guide about New Jersey Hot Dogs. The information came from various sources including e-mails and posts from forums like this one.

http://www.new-jersey-leisure-guide.com/best-hot-dogs.html
Page: << < ..5152535455.. > >> Showing page 54 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1