The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > >> | Showing page 56 of 67, messages 1651 to 1680 of 1989
yuppicide

• Total Posts: 184
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 09/5/11 11:20 PM (permalink)
Holy crap.. $2.69 a pound for dogs is amazing.

I went to Hot Dog Johnny's a year or two ago. It was the worst dog I've ever had. I had 2 other people in the car with me and nobody liked their food. Their buttermilk was horrible too.

There's another hot dog joint up the street. I knew I shoulda went there. Something told me I should have.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 09/6/11 10:29 PM (permalink)
    Thanks to Ken and the two Johns' for the detailed writeup on Schmalz' retail outlet. I saw Schmalz's trucks in South Brooklyn a few times, but never caught on that they had a retail store. I just looked through the Roadfood archives and see several people did talk about being able to buy product at the plant. I just never made the connection.
    I think it is good to publicize a place that sells quality hot dogs for less than the supermarkets sell Ball Park and Oscar Mayer for.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 09/7/11 10:27 AM (permalink)
      I had a dream. Hot Dog Johnny’s, in addition to its regular offerings, and upon my suggestion, added a Best Provision (Newark, N.J.), five-to-a-lb., natural casing dog, boiled and then finished on the grill, and called “Our Best in Show Dog.” It was $2.89.

As a result, Hot Dog Johnny’s became even more famous than it is. Dignitaries from around the world came to avail themselves of this great dog in a great, bucolic atmosphere. On one fine afternoon, Prince Charles, the boys and I had a great conversation about different American hot dogs, and about baseball. Later we went for ice cream.

But alas, albeit a dream, I think we’re going to Tommy’s in Elizabeth for Italian Hot Dogs sometime before the weather changes.

The Bear  

yuppicide

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 09/8/11 2:32 PM (permalink)
        I bought a Hot Dog Johnny's shirt when I bought my food. After eating the food, though, I threw the shirt away. I couldn't bring myself to wear it.

I lived across the street from Tommy's South when he opened in North Brunswick. There's no Italian Hot Dog places around here. We were very excited to see it come. The homemade sausage was awesome.. some of the best I've ever had.. my friend said the same. The pizza was good too.. they had some kind of special process to let the dough rise 2 or 3 times (I forget). The Italian Hot Dog, though.. not so good. Soggy potatoes. The girl behind the counter, though was hot. Don't know if that was a relative or what.

There's a Stewarts Rootbeer near me.. actually two of them. We went to the one in Hamilton, NJ on Route 33. That place is horrible. I think those companies are all independently owned and thus food quality varies from one to another... unlike say a White Castle where you can expect the same quality at every one. The Italian Hot Dog here didn't have any potatoes on it if I remember. It was small for the price and flavorless. The Stewarts in Spotswood, NJ should be condemned by the board of health. I've eaten there a few times, but one time I went in and there were multiple swarm's of fruit flies or something. I should have left right then and there. Some dude was at the counter eating. The girl said she had just sprayed, but I doubt it.. there was hundreds or a thousand of the little bugs. We couldn't stay inside it was so bad. I've never seen any fruit fly infestation as bad as that. That's the only time I actually reported someone to the board of health.

On the positive, though when I used to live in North Brunswick, I had no problems with the Stewarts on Route 27.. dunno if that is North Brunswick or what.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 09/24/11 8:03 AM (permalink)
          Being off this week I got a chance to run around and sample some hot dogs. I like comparing them side by side. Yesterday I compared some German style franks. Thumann's, Schmalz, Union Pork Store, Kocher's, and Pulaski. Last time I did a comparison, the same franks were included with the exception of Pulaski. I couldn't pick a favorite last time as all were equally good and almost identical in taste. Thumann's tasted slightly different than the others as far as taste.

It's been a few years since I had the franks from Pulaski. For some reason I wrote that they had a spicing more like a beef dog (spicier) than other franks in this style. I didn't notice it this time. Again they were equal in terms of quality with the exception of the Union Pork Store frank. It had a bad taste and was thrown out. It had to be old. I noticed it was dried out around one end. This happens sometimes with franks exposed to air.

The Schmalz frank had a tougher casing. I preferred the casing on the others. The Pulaski frank was the most tender and better than I remember from years ago. Excellent. These are available at their store in Linden and the A&P in Kenilworth where I purchased them. Yesterday I enjoyed the Pulaski and Kocher's frank the most. All are great. I have noticed that Union Pork Store franks are inconsistent lately. When they're fresh, they're as good as any.

Earlier this week I made a stop at a place in Hillside. On Liberty Ave. past the Popeye's and right before the Rt. 22 bridge is a little building with a cart in front. On the building is a sign that says "Randy the Hot Dog Guy." Randy is there during the week from 10 or 11 AM until about 7 PM. he also works weekends at a night club called the Saint in Asbury Park.

Randy serves a natural casing Sabrett dirty water style. Small at 11/1 but only $1.50. Mine was hot (which I look for), fresh, and good. He has common toppings like kraut, relish, onions, and chili. Nothing crazy. I had mine with mustard only.

What sets Randy apart from other dirty water cart/trucks is that he also offers Empire National franks from Brooklyn. And he recently added Thumann's beef franks. I wanted an Empire, but he was out. The Thumann's he ordered were natural casing 8/1, but the distributor mistakenly sent 10/1 skinless. Worth a stop if you out that way.

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 10/3/11 10:11 AM (permalink)
            Five or six of us are meeting to try the Italian Hot Dogs at Big Blues in Linden, NJ, today (Monday the 3rd) around noon, followed by a visit to the nearby 25 Burgers-all are welcome.  Big Blues has become a John Fox favorite, so we're all looking forward to the visit-plus they are very well priced!

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/4/11 4:32 PM (permalink)
              So?.......How was it? Wudjuh eat?

The Bear

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/4/11 4:56 PM (permalink)
                Screenbear ,
                Hot Dog Nation page on FB is all over it , pics posted and a bunch of remarks , get on if just for that .
                Looks like they had a good time , except for some wild stuff at Father and son

We are also looking at Tues Oct 18th High noon for a mini meet at Charlies Pool Room for those that may be interested
                Benzee

seafarer john

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/4/11 7:35 PM (permalink)
                  Sign Gail and me up for Charlies- tentatively - Gail had knee surgery two weeks ago and is progressing well. If she is up to it we would like to join you at Charlies.

Cheers, John 

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 10/4/11 9:35 PM (permalink)
                    Tues, Oct 18th, my day off!

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 10/5/11 1:23 PM (permalink)
                      All right! And the Father and Son story is epic!

Benzee

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 10/6/11 9:17 AM (permalink)

Hello all ,
                        Seafarer John , Hope all is well , you were missed on the 8th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour
                        Tell Gail to get well soon and hope to see you there !!!!
                        High Noon on Tues Oct 18th , Charlies Pool Room - be there !!!!!!
                        Benzee

Benzee

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 10/6/11 9:17 AM (permalink)

Hello all ,
                          I will put a thread on the meets and greets page as well  when I get a chance thanks

Benzee
                          <message edited by Benzee on Thu, 10/6/11 9:18 AM>

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/9/11 8:08 AM (permalink)
                            Father & Son in Linden is known for their quality natural casing beef franks (Grote & Weigel) and their delicious spicy chili. I still pick up chili there to take home, but I've stopped buying their dogs because they aren't as good anymore. This is because they are sitting on the griddle too long and lose flavor. And they aren't served hot anymore. Too bad because at one tme they served an excellent dog. Nowhere else in Jersey could you get a natural casing G&W beef frank.

Last week some members of Hot Dog Nation made a stop at Father & Son. They ordered 10 dogs, but 11 were brought out. When the 2 employees realized that they brought out an extra dog instead of giving it away or throwing it out, they took the dog (covered with mustard) off the bun, ran it under water, dried it with a paper towel, and threw it back on the griddle! When questioned about this the employees (older woman and younger guy nicknamed Son of Satan) said they had to account for every dog. Can you believe this? They were also overheard discussing what to do with the bun which still had mustard on it.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/9/11 8:23 AM (permalink)
                              Yesterday I stopped at a new truck in Clark called Marci's Dog House. Located on Oak Ridge Rd. in the parking lot  of Oak Ridge Park, they have been open about 3 weeks. Rob the owner is married to the niece of the woman who runs Dees in Roselle Park.

Dees and Soup or Dogs are my favorite places serving dirty water Sabrett's. Unlike their competitors (Sal's in Clark, Munce's in Rahway, Dews and Petey's Weenies in Colonia, and Steve's Dog Hut in Linden) these places serve 10/1 instead of the smaller 11 and 12's. It only costs the owner 3 cents more a dog for a 10 as opposed to an 11. Yet Dees and Marci's charge less than the places serving smaller dogs. Reason enough in my book to patronize them instead.

Marci's has a special; 2 dogs, a bag of chips, and a drink for $5.00. For another dollar you can get another dog.

I had 2 dogs; one with mustard one with mustard and chili. The chili is homemade and is tomatoey rather than spicy or cinnamony like the Texas Weiner joints.

Good dogs and good value. Only problem was that the dogs were gray from sitting in the water too long. I pointed this out to the owner who admitted they were left in there longer than usual and said it wouldn't happen again. I believe him and will give Marci's another chance because of the value compared to other places and since it's close to where I work. The dogs were hot, which is also important to me. I won't return however if I get another gray dog.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/9/11 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                The Hot Grill is celebrating their 50th Anniversary this weekend. Buy one get one free. Sorry I didn't post yesterday.

http://www.northjersey.com/food_dining/131310364_50_years_of__all_the_way_.html

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/9/11 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanks John for the review of Marci's Truck. I walk in that park once in a while (there's a nice 2.5 mile loop), and last time I was there a couple of weeks ago noticed the truck for the first time. Next time I walk there and work up an appetite...

yuppicide

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/15/11 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                    Well, well, well, what a small world it is!

I live about 45 minutes away from Texas Weiner in Dunellen, NJ, but I grew up there all my life. I miss them.

Today I went for a scenic drive. I searched the net and found a long road that spans about 100 miles.. goes from Frenchtown, NJ all the way up to the NY border.

Frenchtown is about 20 to 25 mins from me.

I got up in Clinton, NJ and my Girlfriend had to use the bathroom. I saw an interesting sign and turned around. I had NO idea what it said. When we pulled in, here's what we found Antnees Portguese BBQ and Texas Weiner!

I went inside.. the owner is originally from Piscataway, NJ area. He knows Jerry & George from the Dunellen Texas Weiner. He bought the secret recipe off them and signed a legal document that he'd never give it away or sell it. That's EXACTLY what I want to do if I had money! I'd also sign something saying I wouldn't sell it within so many miles of them as well.

I ate two dogs.. it was indeed the same.. same Grote & Weigel dog, same sauce. I loved it.

Other stuff on the menu include homemade empanadas, and BBQ stuff.. they have a pit right inside the place. He said if I come back I should try their BBQ, but honestly I think I'd get hot dogs again!

The fries were decent.. they have regular frozen fries, or fresh cut ones.. the fresh cut ones are a let down because the menu calls them "portguese fries" which sounds kind of exotic... like maybe they should have some kind of seasoning on them.

I think the dogs were more expensive than Dunellen are. They have a special dog, fries, and can of soda for $5. They have other specials too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/a...-texas-weiners-clinton

I don't know about that address, though. It says US Route 22.. I was on Route 513 is all I know on my travels.. maybe that changes into Route 22 and back to 513.
                                    <message edited by yuppicide on Sat, 10/15/11 8:52 PM>

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/23/11 4:39 AM (permalink)
                                      Amici's is an Italian retaurant/pizzeria in Union with a good reputation. I never ate there but my wife had a menu laying around. I noticed an Italian Hot Dog on the menu for $5.50 so I decided to order one. I made sure they used beef dogs before placing my order.

It turned out to be another very good IHD from a pizzeria. They use a high quality long Italian roll rather than pizza bread. The hot dogs are Best's 8 to a lb which I prefer to the smaller 10's that most places use. Tasty potatoes and peppers that are sauteed and have the right (in my opinion) amount of oils. I like to try IHD's at the various pizza joints but never expect much. Some turn out to be very good. Here, Calabria's in Colonia, Mijo's (also in Colonia), Joe's in Vauxhall, Goombas in Union are all examples of pizzerias that make very good sandwiches. Joe's and Calabria's use pizza bread.

I also like that these sandwiches are substantial and reasonably priced. You get a bigger sandwich and bigger dogs for less. And the quality is good. But low cost alone isn't enough if the quality isn't there. These places all put out a quality product. I don't like paying $8 and over even if the IHD is a good one. The best values out there are Calabria's ($4.95), Amici's ($5.50), and Big Blues at $5.85. Big Blues is as good as any and still under $6.00. But the absolute best value out there combining top quality and reasonable price is Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover and West Orange. $4 and change for a double on Tuesdays. I believe their Randolph location has the same deal on Wednesdays.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/23/11 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                        I was at the Kenilworth Street Fair today. Right on the Boulevard where Jimmy Buff's is located. Decided to stop there afterwards to eat. Since I had an Italian Hot Dog last night I decided to get an Italian Cheesesteak. A double for me, single for my wife. They were excellent. The bread was good and fresh as it always is. Plenty of peppers and potatoes topped the sandwich. Potatoes are as good as any I've had. The service and quality here has been consistently excellent since they got by their opening week. My wife loved her onion rings. She said they were big and very juicy and tasted like sweet vidalia onions.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 10/24/11 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                          I went to Pulaski's in Linden. First time in years. They have since renovated the place and it looks like a small supermarket inside. Excellent beef/pork franks; my current favorite. On the way home I passed a Polish deli called Bratek on a one way side street. Went back and went in. Saw a few different hot dogs there. The women working there didn't know where they came from, only that they weren't made on the premise.

.A guy from the back came out who was a little easier to understand. I discovered there were chicken franks, pork franks from a company called Sobieski Meat Provisions in Newark which this guy is afiliated with, and pork franks from a company called Bacik out of New York. Also giant 1/2 lb franks from Sobieski. The guy was nice enough to give me about 2 lbs of franks for free.

I went home and prepared 3; a Pulaski 6/1, a Sobieski 6/1, and a Bacik 6/1. Heated in water and finished off in a cast iron skillet. Put in Pechter's/Rockland bakery buns purchased from the Son of Satan at Father & Son in Linden and topped with mustard only.

All three were very good. The Bacik was very tender, almost too much so. Tasted like a typical German/Polish frank. A tad too salty. My least favorite, but still top quality. I'm splitting hairs between the three. This one was pink in color, similar to what Sahlens looks like. The Sobieski was darker in color and longer and thinner than the other 2. Very good flavor. An excellent frank in this style. The Pulaski was my favorite. A little sturdier, but still tender. I like the consistencty and snap of this one a little better. It also had a richer, smokier flavor. I asked one of the butchers about the Pulaski frank. He told me that he doesn't know the recipe or make the franks, but it's 60% pork and 40% beef.

They serve these to eat right there in the store. I was thinking about having one there but they had run out of hot dog buns and I didn't want it on another type of bun. Polish franks are every bit as good as German franks. You can get Pulaski's franks at some supermarkets. The A&P in Kenilworth carries them.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 10/29/11 9:13 AM (permalink)
                                            I went to the Dog House on Route 22 in North Plainfield yesterday to sample one of their dogs. I had called previously for information and had trouble understanding the person on the phone who didn't seem to know the brand of dog, only saying it was beef.

The 2 guys working there who I presume were owners look like they are Middle Eastern or perhaps from Israel. I didn't ask. As mentioned they offer deli sandwiches such as corned beef and pastrami and also breakfast sandwiches. I was there for a hot dog, so I ordered one with mustard. The dog is a natural casing all beef Sabrett, either 5/1 or 4/1. My guess is 4/1. They also serve spicy Sabrett sausages and smaller hot dogs. Don't know the size as I saw the package from afar and the guys were hard to understand.

You have a choice of boiled or grilled (griddled). They will deep fry if you request. If you don't specify, you will get a grilled dog. Basic toppings like chili, cheese, relish, etc. are offered. There is an Italian Hot Dog and Chicago dog on the menu. The IHD is the same dog on a regular roll topped with peppers, potatoes, and onions. The Chicago dog also uses the same big Sabrett, but tops it with mustard, relish, and peppers. No pickle, tomato, onions, or celery salt. And no Vienna frank. Not really authentic; but like most places that throw some stuff on a dog and call it a Chicago dog. Ditto for the Italian Hot Dog. Their Texas Weiner has mustard, onions, and chili. What they call a Coney has mustard and your choice of relish or sauerkraut. Never heard a Coney described this way before.

As for my dog, it was prepared well. Definitely hot enough and fresh. Good sturdy Pechters/Rockland Bakery bun. The mustard was yellow but very spicy. Too spicy for my taste and too much was applied. The dog tasted good, but a little mild for a Sabrett. Probably because the mustard was so spicy.

Very reasonaby priced at $2.75 for what is probably a quarter pound frank. Compare this to many places serving 12/1 dirty water Sabrett's for over $2.00. Tiny dogs and places that in my opinion overcharge for them are a pet peeve of mine. I'll always check out a place I haven't gone to, but only return to the places I feel give you value as well as quality. Jerry's in Elizabeth serves an 8/1 natural casing Best's (which I prefer to Sabrett) and charges $1.75. Also finished off on a grill. Not just the best dirty water dog, but one of the best in the entire state. Definitely in my top 5. Dees in Roselle Park and Marci's in Clark serve 10/1 natural casing Sabrett's for less than $2.00. I don't usually return to a place selling anything smaller than a 10/1; especially when they charge more than places serving a bigger dog. They think the customer won't know. A notable exception is Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City. Their dogs are tiny, but they are grilled and delicious. The last time I was there they cost $1.35.

Sorry to get off track, but the Dog House serves a good if unremarkable dog at a great price. Although you can get it dirty water style, I prefer grilled most of the time. Not a destination spot that I would drive far for but a place I would return to, especially when I'm in the area. For less than a dollar more, it's like getting 3 dogs instead of one tiny 12/1 cocktail frank. I'm not unwilling to spend more money for a quality hot dog. I pay $6.99 a pound for top quality franks from European butcher shops and $8.99 a lb for Kocher's wonderful franks. But when you have many places serving the same dog, the ones that are more consumer friendly should be rewarded. Provided of course their product is good. Competition is a wonderful thing. For consumers at least. I'm looking for quality and value. I don't care that a place like the Garage in Millburn charges $6 for the same size dog I got yesterday because their rent is high or because you can see the ocean or the mountains from where they're located. Or that the owner of a hot dog cart dresses up as a chef to pretend he's serving gourmet food when what you just plunked down a couple of dollars for is a skinless 12/1 Sabrett served lukewarm that has been sitting in the water too long.

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/30/11 8:08 AM (permalink)
                                              Last night I compared franks from Pulaski, Union Pork Store, and Kocher's. These are my 3 favorite pork store/butcher shops that make their franks on premise. They are extremely close in flavor. Pulaski's come in a package that has the date they were made. The others were sold loose.

I bought the Kocher's frank at John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains. I was told to eat these within a day or 2 of purchasing them. This is good advice because if you keep them longer it does affect the taste. Last time I had to throw out one of the dogs.

The franks from Union Pork and Kocher's were purchased a day before I ate them. The Pulaski frank was in the package since Monday when I bought it. All were great. My taste is fickle and when comparing franks that are so close in flavor, one day I will prefer one, the next day another.

This time the Kocher's and Union Pork Store franks were a little better than the Pulaski. Maybe leaving it in the fridge for 4 days wasn't a good idea. The dog from Union Pork tasted a little better to me last night. I had them all plain. If you buy any that are sitting loose, check them first by sight. If they look dried out (which is rare), do not buy them. And consume within a day or 2. These franks have no preservatives. I don't know if they even have nitrates. When you get them fresh and at the peak of their flavor, there is nothing better.

Benzee

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 10/30/11 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                                John ,
                                                I love your reports buddy , I'm with you  , there are so many carts up here in the Hudson Valley and dog stands that the quality and costs will garner my return business .
                                                And as far as Jersey  , having you and a few others  checking these places out has been a big plus to those of us not from that area
                                                Thanks again
                                                Benzee

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/3/11 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                                  On the recent Hot Dog tour I said that the Texas Wiener at Manny's Texas Wiener was my favorite of the day. I had been there a few times before, but I felt that they had really stepped it up a notch in terms of the sauce and whole package. In fact I had been craving thier Texas Weiners ever since.

Well, yesterday I went to lunch there with my daughter and sorry to say, things are back to "normal" at Manny's. The dogs were fine and cooked properly, but the sauce was dry and crumbly (maybe some people like it that way, but I like it much more moist), and the roll quickly fell apart after a couple of bites.

So, once again I've put Manny's in the "OK if you're in the area" but not Top of the Shelf category.

Service is still prompt and efficient though, even during a very busy lunch hour. They do know how to handle crowds, as we saw on the tour.

yuppicide

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/8/11 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                                    Well, I just got back from my first trip to Charlie's Pool Room. The drive is about 1.2 hours from my house. It's been long on my list of places I want to go. It was very memorable.

I called to make sure they were open and when I got there they knew it was me who called before. I was greeted at the door by John, but had to run back to my car for money. I was then greeted inside by Joe. He took our names and asked where we heard about him.

Hollyeats I said, but I'm also a member over at Road Food. I ordered 4 mealies and my girlfriend had 2. We played a few games and sat down at the round table.

Really nice bunch of guys. A friend of theirs was hanging out also, but I forget his name, sorry. We talked hot dogs, Road Food, he mentioned John Fox and Screenbear. Told us some stories and I shared my Texas Weiner story with him. He said he gets a lot of customers from Clinton and wanted to see if anyone had tried Antnee's Portguese BBQ and Texas Weiner I spoke of. We also discussed the best pizza he's ever had, which was some pizza in Pennsylvania someone on here mentioned with a potato crust. Talked about Grandma passing away in 72. I was born in 73. Talked a bit about his Dad's barber shop and the new Open sign.

I loved the sauce on my hot dog. It wasn't overly sweet like that Sabrett Pushcart sauce. The peppers had a nice bite. We signed their guest book.

We briefly talked about his sauce and he gave me the recipe. Just kidding. I did ask about him selling it. I know there's laws nowadays, but you can rent a commercial kitchen fairly cheap. He was mentioning he donated some for a charity thing and they went for about $20 a pint or something. I'd have probably been one of the people bidding if I'd have known. I don't know how long their sauce takes to make, but I think renting a commercial kitchen to make and sell sauce would be profitable.

They said it's pretty busy on weekends. Where does everyone go with only one table?

Interesting where the place is. Kind of in the middle of houses.. I'm guessing they live upstairs or something? One wonders why they don't have a bigger place to cook or more tables.

PS - If someone here lives near that place with the potato dough pizza we should send them one for Christmas. I'm down to chip in a few bucks.

Benzee

• Location: Bullville , NY
                                                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/9/11 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                                      Yuppicide ,
                                                      I have been raving about CPR for yrs now , setting up these meets and visiting them on my own when I get a chance , even though its a hell of a drive for me from Upstate NY.
                                                      Glad you had a memorable experience with John and Joe !!
                                                      They do live upstairs , and are very happy doing what they are doing .
                                                      I just hope they dont take the recipe for the sauce with them , that would be a crime
                                                      Benzee

Gilberts Sausages

• Total Posts: 31
                                                        • Location: Sheboygan Co., WI
                                                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/9/11 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        A little tidbit someone might find interesting (or that everyone might find stupid):

If you search "new jersey hot dogs" on Yahoo, this thread is #1 on the results.  If you search through Google, however, this thread comes up 2nd to something on Holly Eats.  How much could they possibly be saying about New Jersey hot dogs that would top RoadFood??

Anyway, thought that was pretty cool...

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                                                          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 11/10/11 2:04 AM (permalink)
                                                          Gilberts Sausages

A little tidbit someone might find interesting (or that everyone might find stupid):
                                                          If you search "new jersey hot dogs" on Yahoo, this thread is #1 on the results.  If you search through Google, however, this thread comes up 2nd to something on Holly Eats.  How much could they possibly be saying about New Jersey hot dogs that would top RoadFood??
                                                          Anyway, thought that was pretty cool...

Holly Eats is a fairly regular poster on Roadfood. Currently living in San Antonio area I think.
                                                          http://www.hollyeats.com/JerseyDogs.htm

yuppicide

• Location: edison, NJ
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/16/11 1:34 AM (permalink)
                                                            I know they John & Joe read these forums sometimes, but what the heck.. I was thinking about printing my own t-shirt and wearing it in. I think they'd get a kick out of it.

Being that I was driving in the middle of nowhere, I kept thinking of The Dukes of Hazzard. I was going to make a shirt that said "The Fenczs of Alpha" on front and on the back have their name and address.

.. my other idea was a pool table and instead of balls on the table there'd be hotdogs.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > >> | Showing page 56 of 67, messages 1651 to 1680 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com