The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > >> | Showing page 57 of 67, messages 1681 to 1710 of 1989
Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 11/16/11 8:31 AM (permalink)
Yuppicide ,

I often thought about making up shirts for  one of our meets at Charlies .
Sounds like a great idea if you put it together
Benzee

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 11/20/11 7:49 PM (permalink)
    Last night I stopped at Charlies in Kenilworth for a double Italian Hot Dog. It was the first time in over a year (see post 1414 page 48) and I was curious to see how they are currently.

Charlies was at one time my favorite Italian Hot Dog. When they are on, they still make a great sandwich. The bread was fresh, the potatoes excellent like they used to be, as were the peppers. Charlies always included a ton of peppers and cooked them just right. A substantial sandwich, but I noticed something different. The hot dogs didn't taste the same! When I got a bite of one at the bottom of the sandwich, it tasted different. I took another bite and was pretty sure the dogs I was biting into were Sabrett and not Best. Sabrett is a fine dog; one of my favorite beef franks, but Best is just better in my opinion on an Italian Hot Dog. It's what I prefer and what I'm used to.

It was too late to call Charlies and ask, so I waited until today. My suspicion was confirmed. They are using Sabrett. The sandwich was very good, but the hot dog flavor I was looking for was lacking. Some may like it better, but for years Charlies used Best. The old owner switched to Sabrett once, but switched back immediately. Wonder why they switched again. Should have asked, but I don't know whether the young person I spoke with would know.

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 11/20/11 8:45 PM (permalink)
      John ,
      Would you go back again with them using Sabrett ? Do you think it is a cost factor involved ?
      Benzee

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 11/21/11 6:09 AM (permalink)
        More than likely due to cost. Best and Sabrett are about the same, but some places or distributors may charge less for one or the other. No other reason for them to switch. I like Sabretts grilled (Papaya King, Jack's, Boulevard Drinks) or dirty water style, but fried in an Italian Hot Dog, Best's just tastes better.

big g in joisey

• Total Posts: 214
          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 11/22/11 8:10 PM (permalink)
          Stopped by Donny's Dogs in Newark the other day. This truck was voted as best in class with the original Munch Mobile a few years ago. He has a special of 3 Sabrett hotdogs with any or all toppings  for $4.75, also added to his menu is an Italian Sausage sandwich with peppers and onions for $4.00. He has a list of specialty dogs as well,some are Nj pizza dog,(tomatoe sauce and 2 types of cheese),Idaho dog(homemade sauteed slice potatoes),Carolina dog (chili & Coleslaw),Louisiana dog(homemade hot relish), and the Diablo Dog(homemade hot onions and hot relish). There are 9 specialty dogs, something for just about everyones taste.

Applecheeks

• Total Posts: 52
            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 12/4/11 8:41 PM (permalink)
            Big G - I have stopped at Donny's Dogs a few times.  His dogs are pretty good.  I always marvel at how much stuff he has on that truck.  And he is a really nice person.
            I notice you are in Kearny.  Have you ever tried Hot Dog Hut in Harrison.  The dogs are Sabrett natural casing/12 to a pound.  His chili, the onions and sloppy joes are all homemade and pretty darn good.  That is my new "go to' place when I'm in the mood for a hot dog.  They are located on harrison Ave, across from the Burger King. 

Ethan21

• Total Posts: 3
              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 12/13/11 4:01 AM (permalink)
              I gotta say, this was a fantastic, extremely well planned, timed and organized tour, with not a weak dog in the bunch, from Dee's Truck (my personal favorite of the day), to Galloping Hill (who COMPED EVERY PERSON ON THE TOUR A HOT DOG AND DRINK to start off the Tour--that is amazing generosity, and evidence of the high regard in which our tour organizers, John Fox and Benzee were held), to The Windmill, to Jimmy Buff's to Manny's to Bubba's, each and every place was unique in its own way, and each place was distinctively great in their own way, a tremendous achievement by the thoughtful planners of this tour.
              The Galloping Hill dog, a custom dog on a custom bun, I enjoyed with mustard and hot relish, and it was dazzling. But nothing, to me, topped the fresh snap of the natural casing Sabrett dog at Dee's, served on a equally fresh bun, simply perfection. The Windmill was also quite good, nicely grilled footlong dog with very good chili, mustard and onions. Manny's is my current favorite chili dog, with a chili sauce that has hints of nutmeg and cinnamon--I thought I was in a Cincinnati chili parlor!---and a nicely grilled dog. Great service staff also, I must say. JImmy Buff's in East Hanover was the best version of the Italian hot dog that I've had in along while, just well sauteed onions, peppers and potatoes, great pizza bread and a very good tasty dog. But Bubba's was also great in its way; I had parts of a plain dog with mustard and relish, as well as a chili dog, and they were both superb. KIller fresh cut fries at Bubba's, too.

But in the end, its the people on a tour that you enjoy the most, and I've gotta say that this tour had some of the NICEST people you'd ever hope to meet; enthusiastic, eccentric, colorful and best of all, funny. 

Truly a great day of fun in the hot dog subculture of New Jersey. I hope I can make it every year from now on. 

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 12/17/11 3:12 PM (permalink)
                I just happened to be passing the Scotch Plains location of Jimmy Buff's on Rt 22. There's a big For Sale sign out front. I don't know if that means they are closing and the building is for sale or if just the business is for sale.  As of now it still appears to be open.

Doesn't matter, I'm not a fan of that location, way too greasy for me. And with the new Kenilworth location only aboout 8 minutes away (and which has much better food), maybe they are throwing in the towel.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1504
                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 12/19/11 8:53 PM (permalink)
                  Ken, 
                  I was surprised myself to see that sign...but then John Fox informed it's been there for quite a while. As I've come to understand it, the owner, who is a relative of the young man doing such a fine job at the Kenilworth location, has been wanting to sell for quite a while.

I think this Route #22 store is a great location, but needs an awful lot of work. Of late, the hours seem to be erratic, and they close quite early. As there is very little light in the place, it's often difficult to see whether or not it's open.
                    The Bear

johnlockedema

• Total Posts: 155
                    Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 12/22/11 7:08 PM (permalink)
                    I walked out of the Rte 22 Jimmy Buff's when the chef was smoking a cigar inside . . .

yuppicide

• Total Posts: 185
                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 01/4/12 8:07 PM (permalink)
                      Wegman's by me carries Skyline chili! You know the famous chili from Cincinnati. Freakin $3.99 a can, though. I picked up two anyway and had it like they suggest.. spaghetti, onions, cheese, chili.. I skipped the beans.

It's nearly identical to TEXAS WEINER sauce I'd get in New Jersey. So, if I'm ever in a fix and don't want to drive an hour to a Texas Weiner, I know where to go. 10 minutes to Wegman's.

Loved it!

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 8:19 AM (permalink)
                        I recently was to three hot dog joints that I haven't been to in awhile. Jerry's Famous Frankfurters in Elizabeth which is one of my very favorite places; Dees in Roselle Park, and Uncle Petey's Weenies in Colonia. I'm familiar with the first 2; I've only been to Uncle Petey's once 5 years ago and I wasn't impressed. Small 12 to a lb natural casing Sabrett's. These dogs were bland and had little snap from being in the water too long.

I decided to stop in again since it's close to my new route and also because I was told that they have a pretty good Italian Hot Dog, which I ordered. From speaking with the owner I found out that they now use 11/1 rather than 12/1. Although I didn't have a regular dog, they looked nice and hot when others ordered them. A definite improvement from 5 years ago. As for the Italian Hot Dog, it was much better than I anticipated. They use real pizza bread and fry the dogs (and other ingredients too) rather than boil them like they do the regular dogs. The bread comes from DiPaola's in Newark, who supplies Dickie Dees. It was excellent and very fresh. The peppers were good; both red and green, and were tangy/vinegary. The potatoes were outstanding. Thick slices that were golden brown and similar to Big Blues in Linden. Right up there with them, Jimmy Buff's, and Tommy's as far as quality potatoes on an Italian Hot Dog. Only thing I didn't care for were the dogs. 11/1 is too small for an Italian Hot Dog. I prefer 8/1 or even 10. And Best's franks are much better on an Italian Hot Dog than Sabrett. Overall a good sandwich. I had a double and it was a little smaller than most places but also less expensive. It was $5.50. Most others charge close to $8.00. I'll definitely stop there again.

Dees was great as usual. She serves a 10/1 natural casing Sabrett. Consistently good every time, her dogs are always piping hot and fresh. I also like that her dogs are bigger than the more common 11/1 and 12/1. In my opinion Dees is the best place for a dirty water Sabrett.

Jerry's may be the place I've gone to more than any other. Even Galloping Hill Inn which is down the street from where I live. Easily one of my favorites. So good I can eat 5 or 6. They serve an 8/1 Best's that is boiled first, then finished off in a steel compartment that is like a grill. It adds flavor and snap. Delicious dogs and a great value at $1.75 for an 8/1. A lot of places charge $2 and up for a tiny 12/1 Sabrett. Galloping Hill Inn serves a dog twice as big (6/1) for $2.50. Another good value My only criticism of Jerry's is that occasionally you will get a bun that is less than fresh.

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 10:54 AM (permalink)
                          Nice writeup John, thanks.  Although I lived in Elizabeth for 10 years in the 80's and early 90's, I think I only went to Jerry's twice, and both times my experience was not that good. Must have been off days for them.

I saw an ad on local cable last night for this place, which looks interesting:

http://www.2fatguysrestaurant.com/boardwalk.html

They've got quite a menu (pizza and subs too, on another page), which makes me wonder how well they can do any one thing.

Anyone been?

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 3:58 PM (permalink)
                            Yeah, I was there a few times. Twice for a regular hot dog. They had an 8/1 skinless Nathan's that was prepared on a griddle. Ok. Another time I had a cold sub that wasn't that good. Other pizzerias in Colonia do better. The pizza wasn't that good either. I think the place is about size and quantity. A few guys at work went and didn't care for the food.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2251
                              Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 4:37 PM (permalink)
                              John, thanks for all the great info in your posts. If anyone reads your posts they will never say " It's only a hot dog, no big deal" I think you could change their mind in a heart beat. I grew up on the East Coast around Hot Dog stands, not Hamburger joints, like we have in the Pacific Northwest. I have fond memories of the great Hot dog stands I have visited in the past. Evey time I read your post, these memories come back. I think the first place I had a Steamed dog was in Shea Stadium, the hot dogs I grew up with were always grilled, or deep fried....................Thanks for bringing back those memories...............pnwc

ken8038

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks for the feedback on The Two Fat Guys place, John. Saves me a trip.

JerseyJoe

• Total Posts: 31
                                  Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 01/15/12 8:52 PM (permalink)
                                  I've been getting some conflicting information about Dickie Dee's on Bloomfield Ave in Newark, NJ.
                                  Some have been telling me it's out of business others say it's not. Who should I believe?

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/16/12 8:34 AM (permalink)
                                    They are still in business. I know of someone going there this past Friday.

JerseyJoe

• Total Posts: 31
                                      Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 01/16/12 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                      John Fox

They are still in business. I know of someone going there this past Friday.

Thank you!

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/3/12 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                        A new place in Philipsburg serving an authentic Italian Hot Dog.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/food/index.ssf/2012/02/restaurant_profile_marios_ital.html

John Fox

Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 02/3/12 8:38 AM (permalink)
                                           Didn't post about Jimmy Buff's last week. I went to Kenilworth and had a double. Also got a single for the next day as they have coupons every Friday in the Ticket section of the Star Ledger. The single was free.

They made a change in their dogs. Now using a skinless 8/1 Best's, which in my opinion is the perfect dog for this sandwich. There were a ton of peppers which were prepared perfectly and also a lot of potatoes. The potatoes were a little thinner this time and had more oils. Excellent. Don't know if this is a conscious change or just a variation. But with the change to a bigger dog, peppers that are as good as any I've had (including Charlies which was their strong point), and potatoes that are as good or better than anyone's, I'd have to say that this place makes perhaps the best Italian Hot Dog currently. Every ingredient is excellent, the sandwich is now as big as any I've had, it's close to me, and they always have coupons so the value is excellent. I think I'll be returning today to see if my sandwich was the same as last week.

Korkdog

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 02/12/12 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                            Hey new to this site...For a great hot dog with ALL the toppings you like come to a Lakewood Blueclaws baseball game and visit THE DOG HOUSE . We have evrything from raw onions, sauerkraut, cole slaw etc.
                                            <message edited by Korkdog on Thu, 02/16/12 5:08 PM>

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 02/12/12 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                              What about the dog itself? What brand is it? Skinless or natural casing? Is it grilled, prepared on a roller grill, boiled? All beef or beef and pork? In my opinion the dog and it's preparation are more important and should never play second fiddle to the toppings.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 02/12/12 6:24 PM (permalink)
                                                We love the Blueclaws and go often, but their hotdogs are at best,below average!!

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 02/13/12 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                  In a previous thread it was mentioned that Grote & Weigel has gone out of business. The places here in Jersey that used their products still have hot dogs from them but will have to change eventually. Galloping Hill Inn's manager first denied that G&W went out of business (dishonesty typical of many in this business) then told me not to worry; that "everything is taken care of."

The owner was more forthcoming and told me that that Gaiser's will be making the hot dogs. They did prior to the change in ownership in 1988. Galloping Hill has the recipe and it will again be made by Gaisers. 

Manny's hasn't yet decided on a supplier. I was at Father & Son to buy some chili and the guy working the counter claimed to not know that their supplier has gone out of business. He may not know, but I'm sure the owner does. In the past they've used Sabrett and Best's.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/22/12 2:35 PM (permalink)
                                                     Well, being off this week I had the chance to visit Gaiser's today. The women working there spoke no English at all. I had them get one of the sausage makers from the back who at least spoke a little English. I asked a bunch of questions that he could not answer. He then took me to his boss who answered my questions and took me to where the sausages and franks are made.

Gaiser's is now making the hot dogs for the Galloping Hill Inn. I saw a whole rack of them that look exactly like those served by GHI and made since 1988 by Grote & Weigel. 6/1 and with the collagen casing. I was given a few to take home. In the front the store sells 3 different kinds that are made on premise. A Russian frank that is all pork, a beef and veal frank, and a German style pork/beef frank. I found out from the guy who took me around that the German frank is the same recipe that is being made for the Galloping Hill Inn. But it has a sheep casing and is approx 9/1. The frank made for GHI has a collagen casing and is 6/1.

I was also given a pack of the German franks that are sold in the store. Same recipe, same flavor, but a different size and casing. The man I spoke with was disappointed that the GHI went with Grote & Weigel when the new owners took over. From what I've heard from others in the industry recently is that G&W undercut their competitors in an effort to get business. Which is why the new owners had the franks made in Conn. rather than the local pork store where they were always made. I also found out that Gaiser's used to ship fresh product every 2 days while G&W had to be shipped in from out of state less frequently and the dogs were frozen and not as fresh.

Looks like a change for the better. I never had a hot dog from the GHI prior to 1988 but those that have said they were better when they were made by Gaiser's despite being from the same recipe. I saw the rack of dogs that will be headed to GHI tomorrow and they look exactly the same. And tomorrow for lunch I will compare them to the packaged version that is the same recipe but smaller in size and with a different casing. I also bought a few franks from the Union Pork Store for the salke of comparison.

Sorry for the long post, but the bottom line is that Gaiser's will now be supplying the GHI as they did in the past and that you can get the same recipe franks at their store for $3 and change for a lb.

I am off tomorrow and have the house to myself. I will be enjoying a few beers and sampling the GHI dog, the smaller Gaiser's dog, and one from the Union Pork Store.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 02/22/12 7:00 PM (permalink)

Tex-Max

• Total Posts: 103
                                                        • Location: Saratoga County, NY
                                                        Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/23/12 12:09 AM (permalink)
                                                        Wow just in the nick of time.  What a story and what a save for the employees!  Thanks for posting JF.

ken8038

• Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                          Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/23/12 9:01 AM (permalink)
                                                          Good news, maybe, about Grote & Weigel. But based on John's excellent research above, it sounds like they have lost the Galloping Hill account, which has to be a huge account. Who knows how many others they have lost that will never come back. The article mentions this. I think only time will tell whether or not the "new" Grote & Weigel succeeds.

John Fox

• Location: Union, NJ
                                                            Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/23/12 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                                            I've spoken with a few people who own retaurants that used G&W franks. One in particular contacted me looking for someone who makes a dog as close as possible to the G&W griddle frank. One would be Armour/Eckrich who makes Schickhaus, but they make only the 4/1 size which is why almost all of the Texas Weiner joints that use griddle franks rather than deep fry franks switched from Schickhaus to Grote & Weigel years ago. Schickhaus was originally from N.J. (Kearny) and had their plant here. Many of these places will tell you that they use Schickhaus even though they do not. Some still have the Schickhaus sign on the wall.

I have suggested some franks that I consider better than G&W's griddle frank, but people are reluctant to switch to something that is different than what their customers are used to, even if it is higher quality.

Galloping Hill Inn made the switch to their old supplier and I don't think they will return to the new G&W. I could be wrong. Because I currently have some time off and have no life, I have been busy speaking with some of these restaurants and hot dog manufacturers including pork stores. They are in touch with each other and it will be interesting to see who ends up using what. I think this is good because it adds variety. As it is, all of the Plainfield area places have been using the same G&W Griddle frank. I would love to see some use maybe a quality frank from a pork store, or a Thumann's griddle frank which I like better than G&W, but you rarely see the Thumann's griddle frank used. And the few that do have problems with the preparation. Geenie Weenis has the dog, the right price, but cannot for the life of them serve it hot. And they grill it first, then throw it in the deep fryer! Stewart's in Rahway also uses this dog but does not prepare it well.

I know the one place will be happy that G&W has been resurrected.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..51525354555657585960.. > >> | Showing page 57 of 67, messages 1681 to 1710 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 6 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com