Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 59 of 68
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2326
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/05/06 06:52:28 (permalink)

I had the Italian Hot Dog from Marci's Dog House yesterday. I was looking forward to it because I heard it would be special. Rare and unique bread, quality ingredients, especially 6/1 Best's dogs. And a few secrets in preparation that I could not persuade owner Rob Marciano to reveal. That's fine because it's what makes his sandwich what it is. I appreciate honesty, and as you know, too many people in this business are dishonest. And that's the good part. The bad part includes subpar ingredients, skimping on ingredients, and bad preparation. Not so here.

I can't give an in depth description of exactly how this sandwich is prepared, except to say that everything is fried as it should be in an Italian Hot Dog. In oil. An exception may be frying the peppers on a griddle as some do. There are frying pans here, a skillet, a griddle, and a deep fryer. And of course a compartment for water to heat the dirty water Sabretts. No water is used in making the Italian Hot Dog. I asked.

The pizza bread is from a bakery that Rob picked out after sampling the bread from numerous bakeries that make this unique product. The hot dogs are from Best Provisions in Newark and are 6/1 or 6 to a pound. No one I know of uses dogs this size. Mijo's Pizzeria did for a short time before they switched to a much smaller dog.I like that Marci's uses Best as it really is the best dog for an Italian Hot Dog. He serves Sabrett for the dirty water dog. The Best's are the standard recipe (Best has only one) and is not claimed by Marci's to be a "special recipe" or "made on the premises." That's good as I didn't have to search the truck for sausage making equipment. As you know the total sandwich is greater than the sum of it's parts. But I like to break down the parts.

The bread is perfect. Most bakeries that sell a lot of pizza bread do a good job of making it. They sell to places that for the most part specialize in Italian Hot Dogs. Bakeries like America's Bakery and DiPaola's, which incidentally was just sold to Calandra's. Good solid pizza bread. But the bread at Marci's is a cut above. It's crusty on the outside; sturdy as well, but light and fluffy on the inside. Not doughy like many pizza breads. And fresh. It's the best pizza bread I've sampled.

The hot dogs are Best skinless 6/1. Prepared well, they have that familiar taste I look for in an IHD. And in my opinion are the perfect size for this sandwich. I always liked the 8/1, but there is better balance and a better ratio of hot dog to the other ingredients with the 6/1. The dogs do not get lost in space. And even though this is a sandwich, no ingredient is more important than the actual frank. This is my favorite frank for an IHD. I had a double.

The peppers are also fantastic. I knew the dogs would be what they were, and I heard the bread was going to be good. I didn't know what to expect from the peppers and potatoes. Marci's uses red and green peppers. I requested them soft and they were prepared as I requested. I liked the long cuts. I was surprised at how good they were. I didn't get how they were prepared, only that they were obtained from a very good source. Maybe a farm? Again I have to say that these are my favorite peppers on an Italian Hot Dog. Rob doesn't skimp. Many do and at least 2 places I know of use canned peppers instead of fresh.

The potatoes were hard to characterize as far as shape. They aren't cut in silver dollar size slices, but they aren't exactly in chunks. More like slices and smaller than what you normally see. Golden brown, tasty, and with a nice little crunch. These are as good as any I've had. And that's saying a lot because several establishments making Italian Hot Dogs make excellent potatoes. Jimmy Buff's, Tommy's, Big Blues, Charlies Famous (on a good day), Uncle Petey's Weenies, and now Marci's Dog House. While Marci's other ingredients are better, in my opinion, than everyone else's their potatoes are as good as my 2 previous favorites, Uncle Petey's and Big Blues. All are different; all are great; and I can't pick one over the other 2.

Put this all together and you have my favorite Italian Hot Dog. It's great to see that now trucks such as Marci's and Uncle Petey's have the capacity to put out authentic, and high quality Italian Hot Dogs since they are equipped with fryers. I strongly recommend Marci's for a great Italian Hot Dog. They are an exception that proves that you can be new to the business and make a high quality product. Rob put in a lot of time and effort researching not only Italian Hot Dogs, but the ingredients and suppliers as well. My only regret is that this sandwich is only available on Friday. And Saturdays this month. Marci's is a truck that specializes in dirty water Sabrett's, but wanted to make a top quality authentic Newark style Italian Hot Dog, Rob did a lot of research, searched for the finest ingredients, listened to people in the business and potential customers; and, with his cooking background combined all this to make one heck of an Italian Hot Dog. He is the only one at Marci's who prepares it, and everything is done by hand. It's time consuming and labor intensive which is why it will only be served one day per week.

These will not be served on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour for those of you planning to attend. So you have to stop by on a Friday. Or a remaining Saturday in May.

Bossa Nova
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/05/06 14:43:26 (permalink)
johnlockedema

Nancy and I went to Goodman's today; just an fyi-the Chicago dog (and the regular dog) aren't listed on the menu, but are usually on the specials board and on one of those rotating cubes with ads found on the tables.  Ditto the Italian Beef sandwich.

I had the Italian Beef sandwich, and never having one in Chicago I can't comment as to the authenticity but it was very tender and tasty-I did expect more 'au jus', as aren't originals supposed to have the roll dipped in it?  Still good.  

They'l dip the roll for you at Goodman's.  I had the same thought as you when mine arrived at the table and commented to the waitress who immediately offered to dip it which made a huge difference.  They also offer the Italian "spicy or "not spicy" which changes the taste quite a bit.
post edited by Bossa Nova - 2012/05/10 21:08:24
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/05/07 15:02:03 (permalink)
She suggested I have the sandwich half hot, half sweet, which I did.  If I have it again I'll ask for it to be dipped.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1587
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/05/22 12:10:42 (permalink)
I just got back from my annual 4 day reunion with my buds I grew up with in Brooklyn (we've all re-connected via the internet over the last 10 years or so).

So, this year it was at one friend's summer house on a bay in Virginia, beautiful location. For the last few years I've been bringing down a selection of wursts for a Friday Cookout. Two years ago I did the Union Pork Store and last year I ordered from Usinger's.

This year I decided to go even more local, and brought an assortment from Scmhmalz Provisions in Springfield NJ. I bought 1.5 lbs of franks, a pound of Knockwurst, a pound of Kabanosy (like a long thin Kielbasy) and 2 pounds of Nurenmberg Brantwurst (short skinny bratwursts). It was loved by all. The Kabonasy was an especially big hit, great smoked flavor!

The price for all this: $14.06 !! Thier prices are like from 30 years ago.  Last year's feast from Usinger's set me back almost $60, with shipping etc. Schmalz is right up there in quality and for less than 1/4 the price.  Schmalz has got to one of the best food buys in all of New Jersey. Thanks again to John Fox and whoever else has brought this place to our attention. It's been my go-to wurst store for 6 months now.

http://www.schmalzs.com/
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/05/23 07:19:26 (permalink)
I've posted about Schmaltz's before, but thanks for the reminder as I hadn't thought about them in awhile. Not only a great value, but their franks are top quality; up there with Thumann's and pork stores in the area such as Union Pork Store, Lutz, Gaiser's, etc. Kabanosy is my favorite snack. I buy it and rarely does it make it home before it's all gone.
post edited by John Fox - 2012/05/23 07:22:36
DownNeckBetty
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/06/03 17:51:11 (permalink)
For those of you who know me as Applecheeks, I have retired that screen name.  By popular demaned, I have gone back to my former screen name which is DownNeckBetty.  My daughter said that it suits me much better and it appropriate, since I lived in the Down Neck section of Newark for 57 years  I 'll  still be posting my opinions  (whether you like them or not) so look for me now with the good ole DownNeckBetty Screenname.
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/06/09 16:43:30 (permalink)
OK Applecheeks , just one last time (:
Always love reading your posts no matter the name

Benzee
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/06/14 22:13:28 (permalink)
I've been passing JM's Hot Dog Truck (the actual name is JM's Curbside Cafe) on Meisel Avenue in Springfield once in a while for years and today I finally decided to stop there.  Well, I'm glad that's over with, it wasn't good at all.

I had 2 chili dogs, $5 with a free soda. The dogs were that telltale greyish color which means they've been in the water much too long. The lady said they were natural casing Sabretts, but if they had natural casing, they had totally lost thier snap due to the overcooking. They were also small, lost in the standard sized bun. I'd guess they were 10 or 11 to a lb size. The chili was spicy, but without much flavor.

They seem to do a pretty good business, it's right along a busy road next to a park, with plenty of curbside parking, so it's an easy stop. But how they've stayed in business for so long and who would eat this stuff more than once is beyond me.

johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/06/18 13:18:49 (permalink)
Ditto to what Ken said, that truck sucks.  If you want a dog, head from Meisel over 78 onto Main St in Millburn, and stop at Mia Famiglia on the corner of Mechanic Street.  They do a large Thumans dog baked in dough that is really good.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/06/18 19:22:20 (permalink)
Cooked in dough? You mean, uh, Hot Dog Wellington? What's the charge? What condiments do they offer/suggest to go with it? Is it the pork/beef Thumann's, etc, etc., etc.  Thanks.

The Bear
LEOFONT
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/03 18:15:35 (permalink)
MY IDEAL Italian Hot Dog............the ah peez roll from Big Bues in Linden, not doughy, less bready.....potatoes....Big Blues again with Tommy's  in Elizabeth, a close second.....onions and peppers....both Buffs ...sausage....Tommy's........right price ...Big Blues,   about $2.00 per double cheaper than Buff's....
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/06 20:12:47 (permalink)
Leo, you've got to try Marci's. They are located where Featherbed Lane meets Oak Ridge Rd. on the Clark/Edison border. Check their Facebook page because it's only offerred as a specialty item. Two big 6/1 dogs on great bread. No one else serves dogs that big on an Italian Hot Dog. The peppers and potatoes are the best I've had on an Italian Hot Dog
LEOFONT
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/06 22:46:51 (permalink)
JOHN.....I went to Marci's in the park, a week or two ago, and the man in the truck who I presume to be the owner said he was discontinuing IHD !.......maybe it's changed since then, but that's all I know....since I reside fairly close by, I pass there often and their have been  times between noon and 5, his truck isn't there.......since Im always in search of the "Holy Grail" of hot dogs, I will go out of my way for exceptional dogs, and, like many others, rely on you for the expert advice, ...still miss Syds tho' , boiled or grilled, .....why did his dogs from Best taste better than anyone elses ? 
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/07 06:01:00 (permalink)
He was going to discontinue them, but he decided to make them again. He announces when on his Facebook page. I know they will be made this weekend. I'd get there closer to noon than 5 before he runs out. His IHD's are better than anyone else's because the bread is better. More expensive than any other pizza bread. He uses 2 6/1 franks and prepares them a unique way. Boiled, broiled, oiled. The peppers and potatoes are also better in my opinion, though Tommy's and Big Blues have great potatoes too.

The owner's description:

Italian Hot Dog Marci's style! Featured Fresh Light fluffy Soft Pizza Bread....2 #6 Best Hot Dogs(boiled broiled Fried) 1/3 if a pound if Best Provisions skinless franks, add farm fresh red and green peppers lightly steamed an...d finished in olive oil and roasted garlic, with vahdalia onions and cut fresh blend of fried potatoes with a seasoning medley...infused with a touch of a secret ingredient !brings it to the plate! Served with or without my stand and or ketchup your choice! The word exceptional!See More

LEOFONT
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/07 21:16:41 (permalink)
THANKS JOHN.......I will try them, I usually order a triple but because their 6/1, will just order a double......I will report back on this forum.....

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/07 21:22:42 (permalink)
Glad you didn't make the trip today. Rob was sick and didn't show up. He will be there tomorrow and will be serving his Italian Hot Dog. Again, different people have different tastes as far as the ingredients and how they are prepared. I'm interested in what you think since you have been eating these sandwiches a long time.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/08 06:35:04 (permalink)
I was at Galloping Hill Inn on the 4th. After doing yardwork I didn't feel like staying outside in the heat grilling hot dogs so I went to GHI and stayed in the cozy inside air conditioned dining room. Got a double, fries, coleslaw and birch beer. I found out that they switched back to Grote & Weigle after getting their dogs from Gaiser's when G&W closed temporarily. You can now buy them in a 5lb bag for $30.00.

Very good dogs in my opinion. You can also drive a few miles away to Gaiser's and get the same recipe dog in a 1 lb package. At Gaiser's they're 9/1. GHI are 6/1. Or you can go to the Union Pork Store and buy as little as 1 dog. They are $6.99 per lb (6/a), but as good a butcher shop dog as there is. I like them better than Gaiser's or GHI, but all 3 are great.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/07/24 21:58:01 (permalink)

Any Good Hot Dog in a Hot Dog-Craving Storm

Recently discussing the world of hot dogs with an entrepreneur who has just purchased one of the better local hot dog emporiums, I was asked  what frankfurter purveyors were my favorites. I rattled off a couple, but really had to think. Often, it’s a matter of mood. Recently, this place, which I refer to as “The Hot Dog Lady,” has moved into my local top 5.

Located in front of Karl Ehmer’s German butcher shop, Hillsdale, New Jersey,it is a grill manned by Delores Santucci, featuring the dogs and wursts of the establishment. Only problem is it’s about 30 miles up the Parkway from me. Otherwise it’s a no-brainer. 

Last time there I had the heralded Pork/Beef dog, about a 5-to-a-lb., actually made by another N.J. German butcher, Kocher, cooked on the blazing grill and served on a Martin’s potato roll (an old standby here), with mustard and kraut. As I was full (a rarity) from a previous stop, I had no room for the bratwurst or kielbasa that was calling out to me from the grill, "ScreenBear, ScreenBear."
Next time.

In any case, here’s a YouTube about the place.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldL6mG0-JLM
  The Bear

John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/08/09 18:34:57 (permalink)

The itinerary is set for the Ninth Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Once again we expect to fill 2 buses. There are still some seats left. If you are interested in attending, please contact Erwin Benz at benzee95@hotmail.com. The Tour is on Saturday, September 22.

Because this Tour has gotten so big it does take a bit longer for us to get from one stop to another. In the beginning we had one bus. We added another and can fill more but 110 people is enough to be descending on any one place. One bus would be the perfect size but we would like to include as many people as we can. Because of this we can't choose a lot of places that I would like to have on the Tour. We also have time constraints. We seek to add new stops each year plus rotate old favorites. Galloping Hill Inn is the only stop that has been on the Tour every year since they are kind enough to let us use their lot, it is conveniet to get to being right off the Parkway, and it is one of the best and most popular hot dog stands in the state. Because of the time constraints and the size of our group Benzee and I almost had to pay a considerable fee for coming back late last year. This is why Jimmy Buff's East Hanover is not included on the Tour this year. Jimmy did a great job and because he serves a unique style of hot dog that his family originated, was an exception as far as being on the Tour the last 5 years despite being much further away from the rest of the stops. There will be at least 2 stops that will be serving a top notch Italian Hot Dog on the Tour this year.

This year the stops will be close to each other. I don't want to be rushed and we will have enough time so that if we finish early enough we might be able to squeeze in another stop. The order will not be determined until I find out what time a television crew will be at one of the stops to do a piece on the Tour. I'm told that this will be more than just a couple of minutes which is another reason why we're being careful about the time. I want to be able to have us spend some extra time at this particular place.

Without further ado, the itinerary. And again the order is yet to be determined.

1) Galloping Hill Inn, Union. Our starting point and always the first stop. We meet at around 11:30 and plan on departing for the next stop at noon. The dogs here are a grilled 6/1 collagen casing beef and pork blend from Grote & Weigel of Conn. based on a recipe from Gaiser's Pork Store in Union, N.J. A very good hot dog and the favorite of many; especially our New York contingent. Basic toppings and a very good Dusseldorf mustard. A large and unique bun that is good quality but some consider too big. I usually get a double but you might want to pace yourself. There will be 6 stops so you may want to share or even skip a place that you may not like. Some do not eat dogs with pork.

2) Manny's Texas Weiners, Union. Manny's has been on the Tour a few times and serves a Jersey special; the Texas Weiner. A grilled 6/1 beef/pork dog from Grote & Weigel. This is their standard recipe frank. GHI above is one of the few places that does have a special recipe frank. The chili here is dark, thick, and spicy. Manny's is able to seat our entire group and serve us quickly. Amazing service and a good example of a Jersey Texas Weiner.

3) Uncle Petey's Weenies, Colonia. One of the better hot dog trucks in the state. The basic dog here is an 11/1 boiled or "dirty water" Sabrett. Common among carts and trucks. When judging these places I look for natural casing first and if the dogs are hot and fresh. Yes and yes here. Prepared perfectly. What sets Pete apart from almost every other truck is that he has a griddle and offers more than a dirty water Sabrett. He is the first truck I know of that offered an authentic Newark style Italian Hot Dog. Very good and with pizza bread. You will have to come back for this one as it won't be offered on the Tour because it would take too long with over 100 people attending. Petey's does offer a grilled beef and pork frank that he gets from a butcher shop. I've had it and it's excellent. Natural casing and bigger than 4/1. Closer to 3/1. These will be available for the Tour. It might be a good idea to share one of these since they are so big. Pete offers the standard toppings including a spicy homemade chili.

4) Marci's Dog House, Clark. Marci's is another truck specializing in dirty water Sabretts. The basic dog here is a 10/1 natural casing Sabrett. Homemade toppings include 2 homemade chilis and an outstanding homemade sauerkraut called Strubelkraut. Marci's has a griddle and a deep fryer. He also offers an outstanding Italian Hot Dog which is my personal favorite. There will be extra people on hand to help and the Italian Hot Dog will be available for the Tour. In addition to the dirty water Sabrett and IHD, Marci's offers a 6/1 natural casing all beef dog from Best Provisions. It's great to see that hot dog trucks now are not limited to just dirty water dogs. Marci's and Uncle Petey's have grills and make authentic Italian Hot Dogs that are as good as, or surpass the quality of the bigger places that specialize in them.

5) Jerry's Famous Frankfurters, Elizabeth. Jerry's is a walk up storefront that serves up some of the best dogs I've had. The frank here is an 8/1 natural casing frank from Best's. It's prepared a unique way here. Boiled, then finished off in a steel compartment that is like a grill. This adds a little snap and flavor. Delicious and easy to down 4 or 5 in a sitting. Standard toppings including a homemade chili that resembles a Paterson area Texas Weiner chili. You can taste a little clove/nutmeg. These dogs are great with just mustard. Other than Galloping Hill Inn which is down the street from where I live; I've probably eaten more hot dogs from Jerry's than any place else.

6) Tommy's Sausage and Italian Hot Dogs, Elizabeth. Two doors down from Jerry's, Tommy's is known for their Italian Hot Dogs and sausage sandwiches. But they do serve regular hot dogs. The regular dogs are 8/1 Best's that are boiled. I would suggest getting a regular dog at Jerry's and an Italian dog or sausage sandwich at Tommy's. But Tommy's does have their own homemade chili. I've never had it since there are onions in it that are visible. I've heard it's a spicy chili. The sausage here is homemade and considered very good although I've never had it because I've always gotten an Italian Hot Dog. Tommy's is popular for their IHD's. Named the best in the state by the Star Ledger in 2006, it is definitely one of the three or so best in my opinion.

There are a lot of choices here. I encourage sharing and if you live in state or nearby, returning to sample some of the other dogs (and topping combinations) offered by these fine places. The Tour has been to 4 of the stops previously so I know that they can handle our large group. Uncle Petey's and Marci's are new to the Tour but they will have extra people on hand and I can guarantee that they will provide excellent service.

It will be a fun day. Again I urge everyone to pace yourself. I wouldn't fill up on things such as french fries because it may cause you to have to miss a hot dog later. Remember, this is a hot dog tour. But eat what you want. Manny's has a Diner's menu and some decide to order something else as a change of pace. This is the highlight of my year and a time to see old friends and meet new ones. And to eat great hot dogs. Please be on time as we hope to depart Galloping Hill Inn by noon and sometimes we are stuck waiting for those who haven't shown up. I will give out my phone number shortly before the Tour so that you can contact me if you can't make it or get lost.

See everyone on the 22nd.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/08/15 17:54:10 (permalink)

For true lovers of hot dogs, hot dog culture, hot dog history, hot dog stands, hot dog brands, hot dog.... (you get the idea), a book titled Man Bites Dog will be out sometime in November. It will be the most comprehensive book ever written about hot dogs and hot dog culture. There are several I have that are very good, but this one looks to be the best yet. It hasn't been to the publisher, but I have been sent excerpts. Some 196 pages. I don't know how many pages the book will have, but I've skimmed over what I was sent. A lot of Jersey hot dog info including talk of styles, hot dog restaurants, and the people behind them. Plenty of excellent pictures too. Regional styles from across the country are featured. If you love hot dogs, this is a must have. I'll post more about availability when I find out more.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/08/15 23:51:21 (permalink)
John, I look forward to hearing more about the book.
WarmBeer
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/08/18 12:32:59 (permalink)
Happened to be in Springfield for an eye appt last week and got to hankering for an IHD.  I have frequently depended on Charlies Famous when in that area and thoroughly enjoy their 'taters, but Jimmy Buff's has recently (like a year and a half ago maybe) opened a store in Kenilworth.  I have not had the pleasure of a Buff IHD in East Hanover and been turned off by the oil infused store in West Orange, so thought I'd give this newer place a try.  To my surprise there is a large sign in the window .  Of course I knew here had to be a catch, but it wasn't really too bad.  Buy 1 IHD at regurlar price and get the 2nd for a nickel.  Not a bad deal.  The guy who waited on me was very accommodating and allowed me to have the guts of a double on the bread of a single, since excess carbs are not good for my pre-diabetes.  When I got the dog it was very nicely stuffed with the classic ingredients, although I like the potatoes more well done, so I just pulled the potatoes off and since they were not busy they were more than happy to cook them a little longer.  The deal runs to the end of the month and I'm not sure if it is at all the Buff stores or just Kenilworth, but I plan to make at least one more trip before the deal runs out.  If you are in the area you might also take advantage.  2 singles for a total of $4.87 is hard to beat.

LEOFONT
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/08/22 23:19:31 (permalink)
Bear, I agree on all incl. The Dog House which I predict won't be in business
long....neighbors say the place is always empty, on a main highway, and the corn beef sandwich, I took a 2 bites and threw it away.....
ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/02 17:56:23 (permalink)
Apparently the East Hanover Location of Jimmy Buff's has closed. No reason given. The location has been removed from the Jimmy Buff's website.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/03 08:06:13 (permalink)
They are closed. It was posted on their Facebook page.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/04 17:23:18 (permalink)
Holy cow.  Maybe their rent was being jacked up too high?  There were always people inside when I went.
John Fox
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/04 20:37:39 (permalink)
That and the fact that Smashburger moved in recently. That's too bad. Their version of the Syd's dog was my favorite hot dog.
LEOFONT
Junior Burger
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/05 21:46:21 (permalink)
Although I didn't show up often in E. Hanover, their concept of satisfying all hot dog tastes was correct IMO, A Syds, a coney Island, the IHD, something for everyone and their special price Tuesday's gave people a break dollar wise..........LOCATION IS EVERYTHING......exposure like Steves on Terrill Road in Scotch Plains....he has his little hot dog truck right on Terrilll Road with access parking,....and he's there 10-4,  6 days a week without fail...all year round...plus he features a special home made sandwich daily, like roast Beef, one day, Kielbasy the next, etc,.... he must be successfull, because he has been there about 6-7 years....people who come up this way from the shore on business  look for him because they know he will be there........

ken8038
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/06 14:29:50 (permalink)
Looks like another Jimmy Buffs location has bit the dust. I passed by the one on Rt 22 in Scotch Plains today and there's a big "Store For Rent" sign in the front window.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6193
RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2012/09/06 14:58:30 (permalink)
Finally got to eat an Italian hot dog at Jo-Jo's on Rt 37 in Toms River...and I was not overly impressed....Hot dog seemed to be a naqtural casing with lot's of crunch. That's OK, but it was VERY garlicy, The flavor overwelmed everything else....dry potatoes(deep fried???) and a few peppers...on a not too fresh half of pizza bread. Any comments from others who have tried one??? Does anyone know what that hot dog was? I still preferr the Shickhaus dog at Boardwalk Hotdog in Brick. Makes for a better Italian hot dog. Just wish they used pizza bread.
Page: << < ..5657585960.. > >> Showing page 59 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1