Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 63 of 68
Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1595
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/19 17:24:57 (permalink)
Dam, that's awful about John and Joe, hopefully thay can find a way to get up to code. As the saying goes, my check is in the mail. Truth be told, the last time I was there I spent some time talking to John just outside the kitchen, and looking around in there my first reaction was, "How can this possibly be passing inspection?". Obviously whatever Grandfathering or just looking the other way that was in effect no longer applies (new ambitious Health Department Official, perhaps, or acting on a tip from an inferior competitor?).  

On to other things. Bear, thanks for the directions to the back way to Charlies Hot dogs.

And, John Fox, the only time I was ever in Petridis was several years ago, and my experience was same as yours. Very young girls poorly trained or just indifferent. What I remember most was it was obvious they did not bother to drain the sauerkraut before putting it on the dogs, making the buns one soggy mess.
post edited by ken8038 - 2013/05/19 17:26:59
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/05/20 08:51:25 (permalink)
Ken, I spoke to Joe on Sunday. It's good to know that many people have donated their services as well as money. The guys are grateful for this. There is someone new in the Health Dept. and either laws have changed or this person is being strict. There is a local church near Charlies that had a fundraiser recently. It was advertised and the health dept showed up and wound up closing the kitchen!
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/02 07:33:51 (permalink)
Although I can't enjoy my favorite indulgences (beer and hot dogs) as much as I would like, I do enjoy them occasionally. I had a little extra time at work yesterday so I snuck over to Marci's Dog House since it's close to my route. I wanted to try the new Hatfield dog. It's between 5 and 6 to a lb. There are variations with natural casing franks.

As many of you know, or have heard me state ad nauseum, the biggest lie in the hot dog business is claiming to have a dog made special for an establishment. It does happen, but it's rare. Companies are especially reluctant to make a special dog for a relatively small operation. When Rob, the owner of Marci's claimed to have a special recipe from Hatfield, I thought he was pulling my leg as he likes to joke around and knows that this false claim is a pet peeve of mine. Turns out he wasn't. He carries the special Hatfield dog that was voted the favorite on the 2 consecutive New Jersey Hot Dog Tours where a stop was included that served them. I no longer include this place because they do a lousy job preparing these dogs the other 364 days when they are not hosting a Tour. People who have gone back, including me have been disappointed.

Rob serves these dogs and they are now selling better than the Sabretts. He called the company and requested a bigger dog with a slightly different spicing. They agreed to make this dog for Marci's provided Rob would order a certain minimum and purchase the whole production run. He did, and now the new, bigger, specially made for Marci's Hatfield griller is available. I had 2 yesterday; one with just mustard, the other with chili. This is an excellent, high quality beef frank. It has a little more spice and kick than the smaller 8/1 Hatfield. The size is right as even the 10/1 Sabretts look tiny in comparision. The quality Hatfield franks have a unique and delicious flavor. The regular Hatfield franks sold in retail outlets in PA and at Citizens Bank Park are mediocre. Hatfield makes the better dogs for the New Jersey market mostly. The ones I had yesterday are only available at Marci's. If you like the Hatfield grillers (8/1) that he serves and that were so popular on the Tour, you'll love this one. One thing I didn't like about the premium Hatfield dogs was the too tight casing. Both versions served at Marci's don't have the tight casing. One reason is that the 5 or 6/1 dog is a different recipe; the other is that heating in water first seems to help. The texture and flavor of this dog is top of the line.

Both Hatfield's are among my top 5 beef dogs. I like Usinger's which is only available via mail order, and the Syd's dog. Rob will be offering the Syd's dog as soon as he gets the proper grill. I am impressed that a small operation such as Marci's was able to get a specially made high quality dog. Based on the almost unanimous voting for the Hatfield griller as favorite dog on the 2 Tours they were served (and getting more votes than the Syd's dog did in the past before they closed), I believe that the new dog will be well like by those who are members of Hot Dog Nation as well as hot dog lovers in the area.

I look forward to enjoying the Syd's dog the way it was meant to be served as well as returning and having the new Hatfield griller again. Marci's is the premier hot dog truck in my opinion for their quality, service, and variety. I am happy to announce that Marci's will again be included on the upcoming 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour in September. This time they will have 2 versions of the excellent premium Hatfield frank that was so popular and wasn't on the Tour the last couple of years.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/03 11:10:50 (permalink)
John...is some part left out?

Marci's is the only place mentioned & this part seems like you might be talking about some other place...

"I no longer include this place because they do a lousy job preparing these dogs the other 364 days when they are not hosting a Tour."
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/03 21:49:40 (permalink)
Sorry for the confusion. In the previous sentence I mentioned "a stop was included that served them." That stop was The Rahway Grill, not Marci's.
top^dog
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/07 14:46:46 (permalink)
i'm not a big fan of beef dogs they all are pretty much the same cure with beef and garlic...pork and beef dogs on the other hand are more complex cures...i enjoy dogs from a small company in jersey SCHMALZ'S
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/07 18:13:06 (permalink)
If you like Schmalz's dogs, frankfurter paradise awaits you in Buttzville, New Jersey. Though they don't divulge their dog, I have it on renowned authority that Hot Dog Johnny's purveys Schmalz's dogs. No sauerkraut , though. Nope, the tube steaks there, cooked in peanut oil, are routinely served with chopped onion, mustard and a pickle....west Jersey style, essentially. Sweet relish is available if you wish.

And y'know, though I  make at least one trip a summer to Johnny's, it was always because the atmosphere is tops...perhaps the nicest landscape of any hot dog place.

However, with time, I've actually become fond of the pork/beef pups....about 10 to a lb, I surmise. I think next time up I'll have 4, and a Birch beer. Can't do the buttermilk, no siree, Bob.

Oh...anyone know where I can get a great slice of French apple pie in N.J.?

The Bear
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/07 20:43:57 (permalink)
While Schmalz makes a quality dog, the dog they make for Hot Dog Johnny's  is not the same as what you get at their store in Springfield. The owner of HDJ has a cheaper, lower quality dog made specially for them. That's one reason the price is so low. Hot Dog Johnny's, in my opinion, is the most overrated hot dog joint in the state. Bland and mediocre.  Compare a Schmalz dog you buy at their retail store or the few places (The Wine Library in Millburn is one) that carry them to a Hot Dog Johnny's dog and you will taste a big difference.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/09 08:07:12 (permalink)
Just a small point, the Wine Library is in Springfield, NJ, although it has a Millburn Avenue address-the frontage is on Morris Avenue.  (It first started in a small converted house on Millburn Avenue years ago, and is now sited on property that used to be home to a White Diamond slider joint-later, a Burger King was on part of the property as well).
top^dog
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/11 09:18:54 (permalink)
although i prefer pork/beef franks the hatfield black angus nat casing was my favorite i have not seen them for a while,only the nat casing hatfields but not the black angus i have not tried the reg ones and maybe they are the same, they have them here a RD
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/15 23:11:10 (permalink)
Two things:

1 - I need some help with the Hot Dog Map.. someone added Soupy's Hot Dogs in Dunellen, NJ since I have last visited the map. Can someone confirm when was the last time you went there, if he's still there, and does he still do the car dealership on Saturday?

My Mom was friends with him (she worked at the Deli and saw him in the bar sometimes) and at one point I lived in the apartment next to where his cart was.

I'd like to see him and get some dogs, but it's a far drive for me. Over an hour. The other problem is I work Mon - Fri.

His sauce on top of the dogs was AWESOME!

2 - I added Cool Dog Cafe on Route 70 in Cherry Hill, NJ. I mentioned it earlier, but they have a Homewrecker challenge. We should get a bunch of people for it. Eat two dogs, small fries, in 20 minutes. You get a shirt and the meal is free. Thing is, the dogs are half pound each and loaded. One is hot.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/24 15:18:49 (permalink)
Besides Carmen's in Union (thanks John for the tip), are there any other bakeries that make their own hot dog rolls?  I've been twice to Carmen's (and as a kid we'd buy our hot dog rolls for picnics at another bakery, long gone, on Stuyvesent Ave in Union) but I'm open to other suggestions/recommendations-going to try Pechter's in Harrison this week.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/24 17:47:33 (permalink)
I think DiPaola's in Union does, but I' m not positive. Pechters are good. Vaccaro:s in Clark makes them, but I never tried them.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/26 21:53:56 (permalink)
Natale's in Summit, NJ, also bakes their own hot dog rolls.  We're bringing shrimp rolls (think lobster rolls) to a picnic down the shore so we may do a Natale's/Carmen's/DiPaola's roll taste off this weekend.

ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/26 23:35:05 (permalink)
Just a quick post to note that I was in the Bridgewater Wegman's today, and in addition to thier usual wide variety of quality hot dogs (Thumann's, Sahlens, Zweigles, Hoffman, etc) they are now carrying Wardynski's Hot Dogs from Buffalo NY. They will be a welcome addition to our 4th of July cookout. I don't think I've ever had them before.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/27 13:25:10 (permalink)
Did you notice if they had both the red and white zweigle's? If so, I'll be making a trip soon.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/27 18:09:12 (permalink)
Yes, they had both, in fact I bought one pack of each. Just a heads up, the Zweigles are in the back of the store in the regular hot dog section. The Wardynskis are in the "gourmet" area near the deli counter, along with the Hartmanns.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/28 17:32:15 (permalink)
John Fox

I think DiPaola's in Union does, but I' m not positive. Pechters are good. Vaccaro:s in Clark makes them, but I never tried them.

We went to Pechter's today-they don't sell loose hot dog rolls (although they sell many other types of rolls), just the prepackaged normal grocery store type rolls, which isn't what I'm after.  I, too, enjoy their rolls at Galloping Hill Inn, but they don't sell them at their Harrison bakery.  For the prepackaged types, they are just 12/$1.45 for the regulars and 6/$2.20 for the foot longs.  Overall, the prices are great-as in $1.80 for a loaf of marble rye!  8 inch hero rolls-$.30.  Kaiser rolls, poppy or not-$3.50 a dozen.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/28 19:25:38 (permalink)
Johnlockedema, 

A roll I particularly like to put my franks on is baked by Calandra's, and available at King's and  near the deli at Shoprite. They're called Long Rolls, and are like small Italian breads, but not as bulky as a sub roll...maybe just a tad less hefty than the Galloping Hill rolls. To be sure I get 'em, I get to Shoprite (in Westfield) early. I've never gone to the Calandra's in Newark to get them. They're anywhere from 3.39 to 3.99 for a pack of six, which would make them far too pricey for a hot dog purveyor. But for home use, I like no other better. Toast 'em a tad. That's good eatin'.

The Bear
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/29 07:19:04 (permalink)
ScreenBear

Johnlockedema, 

A roll I particularly like to put my franks on is baked by Calandra's, and available at King's and  near the deli at Shoprite. They're called Long Rolls, and are like small Italian breads, but not as bulky as a sub roll...maybe just a tad less hefty than the Galloping Hill rolls. To be sure I get 'em, I get to Shoprite (in Westfield) early. I've never gone to the Calandra's in Newark to get them. They're anywhere from 3.39 to 3.99 for a pack of six, which would make them far too pricey for a hot dog purveyor. But for home use, I like no other better. Toast 'em a tad. That's good eatin'.

The Bear
Yes,Calandra's makes some great Italian bread products, and this roll works great on hotdogs. We have our shop rite and several Italian dellies in the area carry them. Great with our Thumann's or Shickhaus natural casings!
Lee
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/29 07:54:02 (permalink)
Thanks for the suggestions, I actually worked with one of the Calandra kids years ago.  I'm really looking for a bun with a softer crumb than a typical Italian rolll (they had several sizes of those at Pechter's yesterday) but not cotton soft like a supermarket hot dog roll-so far Carmen's is the uber roll to me.  I'm off to Natale's in Summit later today to get a few of theirs.
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/29 10:37:17 (permalink)
I'm going to make a batch of hot dog sauce this weekend. I was wondering if there's any places to get some other brands of dogs in my area.. near Toms River, NJ. I hear about all these places up near Union, NJ, but what about down here? I'm talking about raw hot dogs, either custom made or just a different brand.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/29 11:57:29 (permalink)
yuppicide

I'm going to make a batch of hot dog sauce this weekend. I was wondering if there's any places to get some other brands of dogs in my area.. near Toms River, NJ. I hear about all these places up near Union, NJ, but what about down here? I'm talking about raw hot dogs, either custom made or just a different brand.

What do you mean by 'raw' hot dogs?  All hot dogs are already cooked, no?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/06/29 12:52:28 (permalink)
The shop rite in brick carries a whole bunch of hot dog brands...Shickause,Thumanns and many other quality names.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/03 14:39:18 (permalink)
I agree with ScreenBear that Hot Dog Johnny's is an iconic Nj  hotdog paradise. I have been going to HDJ for more than 45 years and have always enjoyed the Western NJ style hotdogs topped with mustard,chopped onion & a slice of dill pickle,their french fries are also a favorite, always crisp and never soggy. Another great Nj hotdog paradise about 15-20 minutes away is Charlies Pool Room, it's a shame what happened, hopefully John & Joe will reopen soon.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/04 09:50:44 (permalink)
ken8038

Just a quick post to note that I was in the Bridgewater Wegman's today, and in addition to thier usual wide variety of quality hot dogs (Thumann's, Sahlens, Zweigles, Hoffman, etc) they are now carrying Wardynski's Hot Dogs from Buffalo NY. They will be a welcome addition to our 4th of July cookout. I don't think I've ever had them before.

I'm curious to hear how you like the Wardynski's hot dogs today.  We tend to rotate Sahlens, Watdynski's, and Zweigles.  Today we have Zweigles on the agenda.  I hope the hot dogs turn out good for you today and am glad you have such a good selection to choose from.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/05 10:44:38 (permalink)
"...Natale's in Summit, NJ, also bakes their own hot dog rolls"

johnlockedema: Thanks so much for that tip. My wife and visiting sister-in-law went shopping in Summit on Wednesday, and I came along for the ride. On the way we passed the Summit Bakery so we stopped in. I can't say for sure I'd ever been in there, although I know I've passed the building before.

Bottom line, everybody at our 4th of July cookout was raving about the Hot Dogs rolls. I think they gained a few new customers. Great rolls, Thanks again!

PS: The Zweigles from Wegman's went over well too, although I could do without the "split open" feature, which makes them harder to grill and not attractive to look at.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/05 10:49:29 (permalink)
Buffalo Wild Wings has a selection on the "Sharables" section of its menu, Mini Beef Dog Slammers™, which come with chili and cheese for a buck or so more. I haven't tried them yet, and am wondering if anyone here has, and if you might elucidate as to the brand of frank the three dog serving is comprised of. 

Thanks, 

The Bear
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/05 10:56:53 (permalink)
P.S.---Does anyone have an update on the progress of Hot Dog place rejuvenation. rectification, revival, renaissance and, ultimately, resurrection and Grand Reopening, at Charlie's Pool Room, Alpha, N.J.? 

The Bear
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/07/06 13:15:29 (permalink)
<<I'm curious to hear how you like the Wardynski's hot dogs today.

Actually, the Wardinski's wound up in the freezer. After taking stock of the packs of Zweigles White and Red, along with burgers and some grilled italian sausage & peppers, it would have been overkill.

I'll try to remember to report back when we wind up cooking them.
Page: << < ..6162636465.. > >> Showing page 63 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1