Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..666768 > Showing page 66 of 68
Author
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/03 19:14:10 (permalink)
The hamburgers were really good at Texas Weiners II.  8 ounces of meat that was ground fresh daily.  They would nail it rare every time for me.  I used to go there a lot, as I'd visit EWA, a store that sold car magazines, books, and models often and it was just down the street a bit. 
hondoman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/11 13:05:43 (permalink)
went to kochers thanksgiving weekend and saw a for sale sign in front of store. asked employees what was going on, and was told owner put sign up a couple of days earlier and didn't tell employees anything. i am down in florida for several months and hope i still have a great butcher store to come back to. hopefully someone can find out what is going on.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/11 18:15:45 (permalink)
Gosh...that seems an awfully strange way to sell such a well known business? Was it in crayon, yet?

The Bear
post edited by ScreenBear - 2013/12/12 09:27:01
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/15 10:09:53 (permalink)
I've only driven by Kocher's, once, by accident a month ago-I've been looking for a time to shop there (and it's not far from Hiram's) so I guess I'll have to visit sooner rather than later.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/20 11:40:57 (permalink)
Just heard of a new place in Emerson on Kinderkamack Rd. from a poster on Hot Dog Nation. The place is called Griller's, and is the only place in Jersey I know of that serves Sahlen's, a very popular ( and good) beef/pork frank. One of my top 5. A pleasing peppery flavor in the background. I'll be going soon.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/20 13:11:04 (permalink)
John Fox

Just heard of a new place in Emerson on Kinderkamack Rd. from a poster on Hot Dog Nation. The place is called Griller's, and is the only place in Jersey I know of that serves Sahlen's, a very popular ( and good) beef/pork frank. One of my top 5. A pleasing peppery flavor in the background. I'll be going soon.
Here is the website:

http://www.grillersnj.com/

Is Hot Dog Nation a website?  I searched but could not find it.

Thank you.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/20 14:15:14 (permalink)
Hot Dog Nation is a Facebokk page. Erwin Benz (Benzee) and myself are moderators. Feel free to join if you wish. It's a closed group, so mention your screen name here and you will be approved. Close to 500 hot dog lovers from all over discuss all things pertaining to hot dogs.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1595
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/20 20:01:25 (permalink)
<<http://www.grillersnj.com/
Sahlen's aside, that is one bizarre Home Page for a local Hot Dog and Hamburger place.  At least now I know all about the latest in Fly elimination and in-house produce washes.  
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/22 11:42:11 (permalink)
Yesterday I took a quick trip down to New Brunswick to have a few Hot Dogs at a couple of places I've been meaning to get to.

My first stop was to be Tido's Junkyard Dogs on Easton Avenue, but at 1 PM on a Saturday it was locked up tight with a padlock on an iron gate. My guess it is just closed because Rutgers is on Holiday break, but there was no sign one way or the other, so maybe it's permanent.

So, on to Destination Dogs. I just re-read John Fox's review and ditto what he said. It was great. I had the Bratwurst and the NY Dogs (coincidentally the same Dogs that John had). Both were terrific, and I agree with John that the unique roll was prepared perfectly. And the toppings were excellent and seemed fresly prepared. A nice craft beer selection too, in a very comfortable barroom. I ate at the bar and the female bartender was very on the ball too, and well, very easy on the eyes (am I still allowed to say things like that??). One of my best food stops of the year.

http://www.destinationdogs.com/our-menu.html

I was pretty full after the 2 large dogs, but I had a little time to kill because I had only made one stop, so I decided to take further advantage of the growing Craft Beer scene there.  A few blocks away (i.e. within walking distance, so I didn't have to look for another parking spot) is a newish spot called World of Beer. Another very comfortable place, with at least 40 taps and knowledgeable servers. Not Hot Dog related, but I had an excellent Porter from some brewery in Michigan. I dragged myself out of there after just one beer (plus one at Destination Dogs) because I had to drive home.
http://wobusa.com/locations/new-brunswick/

A nice 3 hour break, including 1/2 hour driving each way, from the Holiday Madness.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/22 12:57:47 (permalink)
Glad you enjoyed Destination Dogs. I'll have to check out World of Beer next time. Stuff yur face is a couple of blocks aeay. They also have a good beer selection and excellent strombolis.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1299
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/22 22:25:37 (permalink)
I'm in their delivery area; I'll have to try them out.

Bart
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/25 14:54:52 (permalink)
Most probably know that Mario Batali got his start as a line chef at Stuff Yer Face, as he was a Rutgers student as well.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4617
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2013/12/25 15:25:32 (permalink)
I want a swedish meatball dog. and the KC dog looks good too! Too bad I'm 3000 miles away.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2013/12/25 15:27:03
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/02 10:54:56 (permalink)
Here is the video from the 10th Annual New Jersey Hot Dog Tour:

http://hotdogstories.com/...w-jersey-hot-dog-tour/

Great job by Rob Merlino putting this together.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 00:19:02 (permalink)
Destination Dogs
 “What Buns!”

This is to memorialize that I concur with my esteemed hot dog colleagues, John Fox and Ken8038, as regards their accolades heaped upon Destination Dogs in New Brunswick, New Jersey. It is a nice, comfortable bar/restaurant serving all-beef Sabretts, 8 to a lb., natural casing, and a selection of other interesting, encased meats, griddled properly, and served hot by a very attentive wait staff.

When I visited, in late summer or early fall of 2013 as I recall, the only objection I logged was the parking situation. I imagine that if I were to visit often, I would eventually locate some free, street parking nearby. However, as I was a newbie and wanted to get at those dogs, I was forced, just as when visiting Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City, to cache the Pierce Arrow in the parking garage.

It’s a big garage…like a city unto itself, reminiscent of those metropolises of the future in the sci-fi films...even has a supermarket on one of the levels…and some other stores. However, once down the elevator and out the door, and then around the block because I didn’t know where to properly exit, I traipsed into the destination, indeed appropriately titled.

It’s a good-sized place, with a bar, and plenty of seating…but not a hot dog joint, per se, if you will. Rather, although casual, the proper nomenclature here I would suggest is hot dog restaurant…a fully legitimate one.

My friend and I sat at one of those high bistro tables so popular these days and were cheerfully greeted by a waitress who informatively, knowledgably, and gladly answered our every inquiry. My friend had the Nicky Newarker…essentially the Dogs’ answer to the Italian Hot Dog and, though it wasn’t on the menu, the establishment had no problem putting together a Sweeetworks (sauerkraut, brown mustard and sweet relish) for me.

Both dogs, delivered with a smile, arrived hot. But now, here’s the great kicker: The roll. It is superb, baked on the premises, the invention of one of the owners, and indeed an inspired combination of tasty, soft where it counts, and fresh crustiness. Shaped like a New England style hot dog bun, the toasted, open sides lent themselves to a buttery slather.

Now dear reader, though I don’t wish to border on the overly dramatic, I must confide that, other than singing an occasional ode to the foot-long Schwebels bun that so proudly ensconced the Smith pork/beef 12 inch dog at the dearly departed Pickle Barrel in Pittsburgh, I have rarely swerved my interest more to the bun than the dog.

Oh, don’t get me wrong…the tube steak, again, was splendidly cooked. But the roll was a gustatory delight that won’t soon recede from my frankfurter memory. Like the point guard who assures that the all-star forward is able to show off his complete abilities, this roll is the perfect compliment. And while I didn’t taste any of the other offerings, including many non-traditional species of the breed, I would venture that this grand roll would allow just about any style sausage or wiener to acquit itself with notable aplomb.

And so, as I left Destination Dogs, my memory of the experience mentally licking its chops like a dog trying to capture every last iota of a good morsel recently imbibed, “Eureka!” I exclaimed. I had a notion. Perhaps, yes, perhaps I had at long last stumbled upon the answer to that puzzle that has eluded humankind since practically time immemorial. Namely, what would be the perfect roll for the Best Provision (Newark), five-to-a-pound, all-beef natural casing dog, arguably the best darn hot dog in all of creation? Every other roll has thus far disappointed sloppily, soggily informing it wasn’t worthy of the esteemed rider it hath so miserably failed.

Now hear me out, gentle sirs and ladies. I assure you I am not mad. And, after you hear my idea, you will doubtlessly agree I am the sanest man alive. Insofar as filling a need, I believe this could be of almost equal import to finding a quicker route to the East for spices or Hyman Roth’s desire to locate his business empire within a friendly government close to the U.S.  

Although the Destination Dogs bun to which I’ve yodeled this paean is only about 6 or 7 inches long, it is my hypothesis that a modest lengthening would, I dare say, do the trick. As the aforementioned dog of realm is approximately 10 inches in length, a roll spanning the tape at a full eight inches might be just right.

For you see, it is my estimation, after consulting slide ruler, CAD/CAM, and sextant, that a mere one inch overhang on each side would not only be permissible, but advantageous. With this arrangement, the Frankophile may, after first being served his 5-to-a-lb Best, also known as a Syd’s Dog, bite off the overhang on one side, thereby enjoying the first “pop” unimpeded by the roll. He or she may then opt to bite right into bun, dog and topping without further ado, or, if a stickler for symmetry, could first even out the food sculpture by biting off the other overhang and then proceed to the interior. In any case it would, I believe, be weenie Valhalla.

The Bear

post edited by ScreenBear - 2014/01/04 00:30:24
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 09:20:51 (permalink)
Steves on Rte 46 W in Garfield puts out a good product as well. While not up to Hot Grill or Rutts status....its still a good dog.
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 313
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 09:45:23 (permalink)
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 10:12:00 (permalink)
ok; you will be added.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 10:40:49 (permalink)
Great writeup, Bear! As usual, you put it all right out there.

Perhaps you can talk up the Syd's Dog/Custom Bun idea with the owner (or Manager?)  at Destination. I only spoke to him for a few seconds while I was there, but he seemed very into doing the "best" they can (pun accidental, but appropriate).

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 10:54:39 (permalink)
Ken, I spoke with the owner a few months ago about adding the Syd's dog. He is considering it. A couple of days ago I sent him an e-mail. Waiting to hear back.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 16:14:48 (permalink)
I've been to Steve's once, terrific place, but I didn't get a hot dog, we went for their excellent burgers.
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/04 17:46:33 (permalink)
Thanks, Ken. Will hopefully see you at a hot dog venue soon...perhaps Charlie's Pool Room, if the long-awaited reopening becomes a reality. 

The Bear

P.S.---a tip of the hat to Rob Merlino, hot dog filmmaker extraordinaire, for a job well done on the Hot Dog Tour. 
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/21 11:40:27 (permalink)
With the closing of Texas Weiner II on Rt 22, it was time for me to find another "go to" Plainfield area Texas Weiner place. (Not that I "went to" all that often, maybe a few times a year).

I had been to a few others over the years, and using Google and a couple of other sources I came up with a few others that I wasn't familiar with for a total of 6 candidates.  I decided to do them all in one long afternoon last week, so I could compare each one easily.

First stop: Texas Weiner 100 Watchung Ave. Plainfield. Parking was easier than I thought. I had been here once before years ago. Excellent Standard Grote & Weigle 6/lb dog, good spicy sauce, prepared the griddle way, very quick service. Only drawback was the roll didn't hold up at all. Fell apart after a few bites. It's possible this was a left over roll from the day before, as I was there fairly early, around 11:45 AM.

Next stop on my walking tour of Downtown Plainfield: Pharoah Texas Weiner, 204 Watchung Avenue. Good quick friendly service but this wasn't a very good dog. Smallish all beef, not sure what brand, but not top quality, sauce was a little off too. And the price was about same as all the other places, $2.50, but this time for a small dog. This would turn out to be the worst dog of the day.

Next stop, Friends Texas Weiner, a few blocks away, at  208 Front Street. This was the largest place of the day (they even advertise a Party Room), but I was the only customer at about 12:30. In spite of the name of the place, this wasn't a true Texas Weiner. It was a Sabrett Skinless All beef (looked like a Costco Pack), deep fried and topped with a sauce that was in the Texas Weiner family, but more like a chili. All in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but there's no reason to go there with Texas Weiner 1 nearby.  I might go there one day for thier Fried Chicken, which seems to be what they do more business with. There was some under a heat lamp that looked pretty good, but I'd want mine freshly cooked.

Back in the car and south a few miles to a place I had never heard of, Julianna's Texas Weiner, 172 Stelton Road, Piscatway. This was the nicest place of the day, a modern style coffee shop which seems to be doing a good lunch business. My Texas Weiner was another Standard Grote & Weigle, and very good. Only complaint was it wasn't cooked enough. I'm sure if I asked, I could get it well done. I guess if you don't specify they undercook it just a bit.
They also apparently do a brisk business in take-out homemade empanadas, but my waitress told me they are so popular they usually sell out by 10 AM. I would definately go back here, it's a very pleasant place, and the other food being served food looked very good too. I'd call this place a Find.

Anoter short drive to Middlesex Texas Weiners 1355 Bound Brook Road, Middlesex. I had been here a few times before. Very well run, cheery, friendly quick service, you order at the counter and they deliver it to your table. Very busy at around 2:30 PM.  Here I also ordered a couple of sides, just for variety. The fries and the rings were quite good, but I only had a few of each and took home the rest. The Texas Weiner was the same Grote & Weigle and very well prepared. The one thing I don't like all that much here is the sauce, which is much drier and more crumbly than all the other places. Just a matter of taste, I guess.

By now I was quite full, but the end was in sight. J & G Texas Weiners, 238 North Avenue, Dunellen. As soon as I pulled up to the street parking here, I realized I had never been to this place. Very small, old, busy storefront on Dunellen's Main Street. (My favorite Hispanic Chicken Place, Planet Chicken is just around the corner). Grote & Weigles ready on the grill. Excellent, and good sauce and roll. I actually hadn't planned on finishing it as I was so full at this point, but it was so good it went down easy.

So that was it. I'd rate Texas Weiner 1 and J & G a tie. I liked the sauce a little better at Texas Weiner !, but the roll was much better at J & G. Both were easily as good as the late lamented Texas Weiner II. I have found two new homes.

The only downside is that niether of these places are as comfortable to eat in as Texas Weiner II, and I'll have to go it alone as my wife usually would come with me to II as she loved the California Burger there.
post edited by ken8038 - 2014/01/21 11:50:30
ScreenBear
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/22 21:10:01 (permalink)
Thanks for the research. You are a far braver man than I, Ken8038.

The Bear
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/23 06:41:49 (permalink)
Thanks for the research!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 850
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/23 16:36:01 (permalink)
Great thread, as ever
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/23 17:49:24 (permalink)
Thanks Ken, nice trip report.  Today we were in Elizabeth, so I insisted we do a Tommy's/Jerry's stop.  Nancy was tasked with getting a double Italian sausage sandwich for us to share tonight, and we had eaten a late breakfast so I went to Jerry's to get a chili dog with onions and mustard.

Both were their usual good standard items, but the funny part was when I was walking back and Nancy was still at the window.  I walked up and she went to take a bite out of the Jerry's hot dog, and the guy making our sandwich filled up with false (funny) indignation.  'Wassa matter, we got hot dogs here too!'  I explained we like to split our business (but made sure to say we spent more money with him) and he was ok.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/24 16:39:36 (permalink)
Does anyone know if the Soup or Dogs Truck on Rt 27 in Iselin is still in business? I drove by there today for a couple of dogs and some soup for later but there was no sign of it, and the lot has a For Lease Sign on it. I hadn't been there for a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure they used to be there year round, even when it's 7 degrees like today (which was the reason for  going out for soup).

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/24 17:37:53 (permalink)
Betsy has moved to Inman Ave. The very end in Rahway near the junkyards.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/01/25 08:12:43 (permalink)
Thanks John. I'm going to try to get there soon. During this cold wave, my wife and I got a craving for her Hungarian Goulash that we sampled at the Hot Dog Tour a few years ago and bought a couple of times since. It makes for a nice stop. Have a couple of dogs for lunch and pick up soup for later.
Page: << < ..666768 > Showing page 66 of 68
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1