Hot!New Jersey Hot Dogs

Page: << < ..66676869 > Showing page 68 of 69
Author
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/18 14:12:30 (permalink)
I voted for NJ
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/18 14:42:26 (permalink)
thanks...you know your dogs!!!
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/18 22:45:36 (permalink)
Foodbme, we visited all of them.  Took a month and a half as mentioned in the article.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10324
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/19 03:19:35 (permalink)
John Fox
Foodbme, we visited all of them.  Took a month and a half as mentioned in the article.

THANX! I "Skip Read" the article and missed that.
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/20 12:11:37 (permalink)
That website doesn't load for me. :(

John Fox
Link to Inside Jersey article   http//njssections.travidia.com/SS/Page.aspx?secid=144380  go to top left and go to page 34.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/20 16:13:41 (permalink)
yuppicide
That website doesn't load for me. :(
John Fox
Link to Inside Jersey article   http//njssections.travidia.com/SS/Page.aspx?secid=144380  go to top left and go to page 34.

Me neither, and i can't find it by googling for it either

John, can you provide a new link?  Or instructions for finding it on the main nj.com website?
TnGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/20 19:12:16 (permalink)
Direct link to beginning of article -------> http://njsections.travidi...=144380&pagenum=34
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/20 20:04:07 (permalink)
TnGuy
Charlie's Pool Room renovations on hold as co-owner fights for health

David

I am so sorry to read about Joe fighting cancer.  Our thoughts and prayers will be with him.  I have been meaning to call them for a while and will have to do that this week.
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/24 11:06:06 (permalink)
My Inside Jersey Hot dog issue arrived in the mail yesterday and I got right on it. Excellent work from John Fox and Pete Genovese. A good surprise was The New Corral in Clifton getting 2nd place in thee Best Texas Weiner category. That's a mostly unknown place that I really liked when I was there a while back.

Interesting that two Elizabeth Places on the same block won in each of their categories. Coincidentally, I was on Jury Duty in Elizabeth early this week, and if I had been held over to Wednesday I was going to take a walk to them and have a great lunch. I was actually sort of disappointed I was let go on Tuesday. I haven't been to either of those places for several years.

I cross-checked the complete list of 99 places with my own list, and of course there's several I've never been to.

Omitting the ones in far away Counties, which are too far for a normal day trip, I'm curious about:

Hippie Hot Dog in Lodi
Jersey Johnny's in Woodland Park
The Lantern in Haskell

Never heard of those places.

John, are you allowed to comment on individual places? Are these worth a trip?

Thanks to you and Pete for a great effort. This issue is a Keeper.

The only complaint I have is about the cover photo. That shriveled up hot dog doesn't look very appealing, reminds me of something I'd see in a movie theater snack stand. I realize it's probably  a very good deep fried dog in person, but it just doesn't look that way in the picture.

John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/24 21:59:24 (permalink)
Hi Ken. Glad you enjoyed the issue. I was not allowed to comment until the issue came out. I am free to now. Hippie Hot Dog in Lodi, I'll have to check my notes on. The Lantern was ok, a Sabrett beef/pork dog deep fried. Similar to the Hot Grill, but the chili was sweet. Fine if you're in the area, but not worth a trip. Jersey Johnny's is actually located in what was West Paterson but renamed Woodland Park. Close to Libby's and in my opinion worth a trip. Despite the reputation there were several Texas Weiners better than Libby's and Jersey Johnny's was one. Thumann's deep fryer (same as Libby's), but a better chili.

I hope to give small summaries of all the places soon.
ken8038
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/25 07:00:41 (permalink)
Thanks for the info John, looking forward to the mini reviews of each place.

BTW, when I was on jury duty I walked around downtown Elizabeth on my lunch hour. I was surprised to see that the Grecian Cave was still in business. My wife and I used to get take out Gyros from there once in a while when we used to live in Elizabeth 20 years ago. As I recall it was very run down and dingy in there,  so we'd only get takeout, but the gyros were great.

Well, 20 years later it's even more run down and dingy, but they had a sign in the window advertising Texas wieners. Since I couldn't recall if I had ever gotten a Texas Weiner from there, even though I had already eaten lunch I decided to get one. It was OK, but nothing special.
John Fox
Re:New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/28 21:12:55 (permalink)
Go here for articles, pictures and interviews from the Inside Jersey magazine hot dog roadtrip. More will be added in the next few days.

http://www.nj.com/munchmobile/index.ssf
The Monk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/29 11:41:34 (permalink)
I voted for N.J. on the survey but I am also a fan of the Rhode Island version, the New York System. It may not technically be a "hot dog" in the narrow definition of one since it is cut from a longer coil into individual pieces. Though it is served on a hot dog roll with hot dog condiments such as chili, mustard and onions. The sprinkle of celery salt also makes it into the hot dog catagory. It would be interesting to see how it would fare if it was a choice on the survey.
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/30 15:09:26 (permalink)
For the Inside Jersey trip I was instructed to judge the places and their offerings based on quality, taste, and anything pertaining to the eating of the hot dog. Or in other words to not count service, price (I didn't pay for anything), atmosphere, cleanliness, or any secondary factors. I was told to totally discount past experiences and rate and comment based on our one trip to each place.

But I am free to comment on any and everything here. I'll post a little at a time from my notes and recollections. Feel free to comment and/or ask any questions. I've been to most of the places previously, and while I did not use past experiences in my ratings, I can say that most were pretty much the same as they were in earlier visits. There were exceptions. I was asked to think about a winner and 2 runner-ups in each category. But only one runner-up made it to the issue. Too bad there were space limitations as only the winners and runner-ups were discussed. The rest were listed at the end of the article. I sought to give my honest opinions and went to each place as if it was the first time. I had a blast. I'll begin by going in order of the places we visited and commenting briefly. I would have preferred to have 2 categories for grilled. One for all beef and one for beef/pork. And would have preferred to do without specialty dogs. But I was overruled. I'll begin commenting shortly.
post edited by John Fox - 2014/07/30 15:13:46
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/30 15:10:12 (permalink)
First trip
1) Dickie Dees: an authentic Italian Hot Dog, but not a favorite. Small sandwich, good bread from DiPaola's bakery, tasty Best's dogs fried in peanut oil, decent potato chunks, lousy canned peppers. Too vinegary

2) Jimmy Buff's Kenilworth: Substantial sandwich, every ingredient top notch. This was second runner-up. A prototypical Italian hot dog and the best out of every Jimmy Buff's location I've been to.

3) Jimmy Buff's West Orange: Bread and potatoes very good; noticeably better than on previous visits years ago. But there were hardly any peppers (I counted 3) and the tiniest hot dogs I've seen on an Italian Hot Dog. Skimpiest IHD we had.     to be cont.
post edited by John Fox - 2014/07/30 15:22:16
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/30 15:12:16 (permalink)
4)Charlie's Famous, Kenilworth: Always a favorite and one of the 2 best for a long time. Changes of owners resulted in inconsistency. On this visit the bread peppers and potatoes were excellent. Would have been top 3 for sure if it wasn't for the hot dog used. Switched from Best and I found the replacement to be inferior in taste and quality.

5) Tommy's, Elizabeth: Hands down the Best Italian Hot Dog. Unanimous among myself, Pete, and the others who eventually dropped out. Most substantial sandwich. Best potatoes by far, longer dogs, as well as the best peppers, which they have improved in recent years. Perfectly cooked and plenty of red and green ones. Only place I recall seeing red peppers. One thing I noticed is that while many use the tilted steel pan, the best potatoes I've sampled in IHD's are those like Tommy's and Big Blues that have been prepared in a deep fryer. Turn out crisper and better overall.

6) Galloping Hill Inn, Union: a favorite of mine; excellent German style 6/1 beef/pork dog. High quality, unique bun, great dusseldorf mustard. For a beef/pork grilled dog I would rate it right behind Karl Ehmer's and Max's.

7) Jack's Frank & Fries, Union: Ok grilled Sabrett; 8/1, roll too big for dog. Also offered a 3/1 Kobe (Wagyu) frank. Unique taste and quality beef but I'm not a fan of the flavor/spicing. 

8) Jerry's, Elizabeth: Winner in the dirty water category. 8/1 Best's nc. In water and finished off for a minute or 2 in a steel steam box for added crunch, but primarily a dirty water dog. Excellent flavor and texture. And bigger than others in this style. One of my two favorite hot dogs, the other being the Syd's dog.
ken8038
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/30 23:35:44 (permalink)
Keep it coming John. So far I don't have comments to add, but I'm looking forward to the rest of this. Thanks for taking the time to add to what was in the article.
TnGuy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/07/31 08:16:30 (permalink)
Thanks, John, for sharing your thoughts and notes with us on all of the places you have visited - it really gives a fantastic overview of New Jersey's hot dog 'wealth'. And I look forward to reading about all of the rest.

My one wish would have been that they would have carved out a completely separate category for Texas Weiners (TW), since: 1.) - they are a purely New Jersey invention and, 2.) there are enough TW places in Jersey that would allow them to be compared against themselves exclusively.

David
cwdonald
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/03 22:41:07 (permalink)
 2nd trip9) Rutt's Hut, Clifton: Winner in the deep fried category. Quality frank prepared to different degrees of doneness. Love the Weller with the unique relish which perfectly complements it.10) Hot Grill, Clifton: authentic Passaic area or "Hot" Texas Weiner. Flavorful chili though Pete didn't agree. Great atmosphere and service. Dogs and chili served at the perfect temperature. One of the more consistent places. Uses a Sabrett beef/pork rather than the more common Thumann's. 11) Midtown Grill, Clifton: Passaic area Texas Weiner. Small luncheonette type place. Chili mediocre and not as good as the other places.12) New Corral, Clifton: Runner-up in the chili category. Texas Weiner with a spicy, tangy sauce. A little different than your typical Texas Weiner chili sauce. Much better than when I went in the past. Pete liked it better than I did.13) Pappy's Diner, Totowa: My favorite Texas Weiner. I love their unique, complex zesty chili. Pete didn't. Served hot on a great roll. Definitely one of my top 10 favorite dogs.14) Shake & Grill, Clifton: Used to be a Papaya King. Same great dogs 10/1 grilled Sabretts. Great preparation, great service, dogs under 2 bucks. I always forget about this place, but the dogs here are as good as Boulevard Drinks, but bigger. Another in my top 10.15) Karl Ehmer's, Hillsdale: Runner-up for best grilled dog. Definitely the best grilled mixed meat dog beating out Max's, Grillers, Galloping Hill, and Windmill. Which is why there should have been 2 categories for grilled. Another in my top 10. A lot so far. At the end I'll list my 10 favorites. The frank is from Kocher's (now Bethlehem Sausage Works in PA) and is in my opinion the best butcher shop/pork store dog I've had from a hot dog establishment. A true standout. 16) Hirams, Fort Lee: Very good deep fried dog. Same recipe Thumann's deep fryer as Rutt's and in the same class as Rutt's. Bigger in size (7/1) and served on a toasted bun. Not left in the oil as long; better if ordered "well" in Hiram's speak. Chili is spicy and semi homemade; a commercial brand doctored up. Spicy and tomatoey. Overrated in my opinion as it was voted best chili by the 2006 SWAT Dog team. I was a dissenter. Nevertheless a classic Jersey roadside joint serving one of the 2 or 3 best deep fried dogs in the state.17) Griller's Emerson: 2 dogs here; Sahlen's beef and beef/pork. Sahlen's is a very popular dog from Buffalo. This is the only dog house serving it. Served at the popular Ted's in N.Y. I didn't like the flavor of the beef frank. The popular beef/pork frank is better than average; well done and cooked over charcoal. Poked and charred. I liked it a lot.18) Ray's Links, Dumont: long 4/1 skinless beef dog prepared in an oven and finished off on a grill. Put on a nice French roll. A contender for specialty dog as they had an assortment of toppings including bacon marmalade. The owner didn't want to tell me the brand of dog, but did under the condition I don't reveal it. I agreed and he told before I ate one. I would not have been able to tell by tasting it as it's a dog you don't see often although I did have it on 2 occasions previously. It is a good dog; definitely above average. The chili wasn't good.I would appreciate it if someone could cut and paste this to the N.J. hot dog thread on Roadfood.com as I can't until I go to the library. Time for a nap but looking forward to reading any comments, opinions, or questions.
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/20 15:15:32 (permalink)
19) Tony's Truck, Newark: A pet peeve of mine is small dogs. Tony's switched to smaller dogs and they switched from Golden D to Sabrett. Although I prefer Sabrett, I liked that they were the only place around using Golden D. Chili ok. Overall, run of the mill. Went from being a place I would go out of my way to visit to being one I would stop at only if I was in the area.

20) JJ's Truck, Newark: Tiny dogs, horrible chili. Highly overrated. For me carts and trucks for the most part serve the same thing. Boiled Sabretts. I look at size, freshness, if there is a casing, and how hot the dogs are served in order to distinguish one from another. And maybe if there is a standout chili or kraut. Or if they use a different brand like Best's or Hatfield. I don't visit too many trucks.

21) Paul's Italian Hot Dogs, Newark: Solid, if unspectacular IHD. Great price (under $6) and the potatoes are more like steak fries, but they are fresh and hand cut. A true neighborhood hole in the wall.

22) Father & Son, Linden: Solid regular dog (Grote & Weigel beef). I always like when a place serves something different. One of my favorite chili's that isn't Texas Weiner style. A winner in the grilled category for their 5/1 nc Best's (a/k/a Syd's dog) that is boiled, then grilled like Syd's. My favorite beef dog. I love the flavor, spicing, texture, casing, and method of preparation. I get these dogs at the Best's factory and prepare them the same way.

23) Big Blues, Linden: Runner-up for best Italian Hot Dog. Primarily a sub shop, but they make an excellent IHD. Everything made to order. Nothing laying around in oil. Fresh bread, Best's hot dogs, excellent tangy peppers that are hand cut, marinated, and cooked on a griddle. One of the best potatoes. Like Tommy's they are deep fried rather than heated in the tilted pan. Makes for a crisper, better potato. Also a great value at $5.85 for a double. Going rate is between $7 and $8. Jimmy Buff's is $8 plus. Joe Joe's is $9.50 for a much smaller sandwich.
post edited by John Fox - 2014/08/20 15:16:42
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/20 15:17:50 (permalink)
24) Dee's, Roselle Park: Runner-up for best dirty water dog. While Pete and I prefer the flavor and spicing of the Best's dogs at Jerry's, we agreed that Dee's serves the best Sabretts. They are always piping hot and fresh. Today was no exception, and as I said, one of the rules was to judge solely on our experience that day; not past experiences. But I can talk about past experiences for the purpose of these posts even though I didn't take them, as well as other factors like price, atmosphere, service, etc., into consideration as instructed. Dees also doesn't skimp on size, serving 10/1 while most other trucks serving Sabrett go with 11 and 12/1 and charge the same.

25) Sal's, Clark: Tiny dogs not served hot. Surly owner. Uses Father & Son's chili. You're better off going to Father $ Son.

26) Munce's, Rahway: Although we picked a winner and runner-up, we actually wrote down a second runner-up before we discussed and determined the winners. Munce's was second runner-up. It was a difficult choice between Dee's and Munce's for the runner-up to Jerry's. Both serve excellent dirty water Sabretts. I prefer the chili at Munce's. In fact it is in my top 5. But Dee's are more consistent regarding size. And size matters. This is why we chose Dee's. On this particular day the dogs at Munce's were very small; closer in size to Sal's than Dee's. And we had visited both just before coming to Munce's. Others have gone to Munce's and told me the dogs are smaller than they were a year ago when they were featured on the Tour.

27) Soup or Dogs, Rahway: Small Sabretts, better than average chili. I liked the chili slaw combo.

28) Davy's, North Arlington: Tiny 12/1 Sabretts. Choice of boiled or fried. Canned chili. Place is overrated but there isn't much out that way.

29) Andy's Roadside Dive, North Arlington: Not crazy about the gimmicky toppings. No excuse in my book for a skinless dirty water Sabrett. Ours were served lukewarm. The owner told me his philosophy is that it's about the toppings and that a skinless dog is better than one with casing. I disagree on both counts. But many agree with him. His customers do anyway. Give me a natural casing dog at a decent size and serve it hot; not lukewarm.
post edited by John Fox - 2014/08/20 15:19:07
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/20 15:19:49 (permalink)
30) Hot Dog Johnny's, Buttzville: Between this place and JJ's for most overrated hot dog joint. You can't taste atmosphere, nostalgia, or a bucolic setting. West Jersey/East PA prefers milder dogs, but this is bland even by their standards. Not horrible but the other places in Warren County are better.

31) Toby's Cup, Lopatcong: Runner-up in the deep fried category. A favorite of mine and one I consider underrated. I like the flavor of the Berk's beef/pork frank. Here it is fried in peanut oil. Another in my top 10.

32) Jim's Doggie House, Philipsburg: Same dog and same preparation as Toby's. Virtually indistinguishable from Toby's. Fried in vegetable oil, rather than peanut oil is the only difference in preparation. Very nice place with indoor and outdoor seating. Sophia the owner is very personable.

33) Stewart's, Lebanon: Didn't care for the chili. I prefer a dog with casing and despise the roller grill. Despite all this the dog itself was better than most. It was a big Thumann's griller which is a favorite brand.

34) Red Tower lll, Somerville: The Plainfield area Texas Weiner joints all use the same dog (Grote & Weigel griddle frank), prepare it the same way (griddle), and have similar chili. So the reviews will be similar. First time here. Dog left on the griddle a decent amount of time ( many don't cook them long enough) and the chili wasn't overly spicy as some in this style are. Nice big place serving beer. They have entertainment at night and karaoke.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/20 16:44:31 (permalink)
Enjoying this review!!!!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18647
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/20 21:19:31 (permalink)
leethebard
Enjoying this review!!!!!!

Boy, I'll say.
ken8038
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 11:30:30 (permalink)
John, thanks once again for posting about each place, it's a valuable resource. Especially on the places I've heard about but never been, that I now can skip, such as Andy's Roadside Dive.

My opinion of some of the outdoor roadside places is a little higher than yours. Hot Dog Johnny's, Stewarts, and Davy's all get a extra point or two for their scenic settings and ambiance, which somehow makes the dogs taste better and make me want to stop by if I'm in the area. But I agree, if you rate them on the dogs alone they are just OK.

Looking forward to the rest of the list.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 13:13:38 (permalink)
I disagree...I'll drive somewhere for a great dog...but I don't go to a hot dog place for a view. If I get a great hotdog AND a view, all the better, but a view doesn't alter my feelings about an average dog!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 858
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 13:26:45 (permalink)
I agree. In the end, it's all about the dog
John Fox
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 15:18:10 (permalink)
Here is a video of the owner of Andy's (#29) and me debating whether a natural casing dog is better than a skinless one and if the toppings are more important than the dog. All in fun although Andy thinks I take it too seriously. I believe the actual frank is more important than what goes on it. And except for an Italian Hot Dog, natural casing is preferable to skinless; especially when you're dealing with a dog heated in water. The "debate" went longer than what is shown. I pointed out that many butchers that make handcrafted franks are insulted when their creations are topped with frivilous things such as crushed doritos and the like.

http://www.nj.com/enterta..._steel_cage_match.html
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18647
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 22:04:53 (permalink)
You won!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: New Jersey Hot Dogs 2014/08/21 22:53:48 (permalink)
You sure did!!!
Page: << < ..66676869 > Showing page 68 of 69
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1