The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New Jersey Hot Dogs

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 67, messages 1 to 30 of 1989
John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 02/27/03 9:20 PM (permalink)
I am a hot dog fanatic from N.J. I believe that we have the best and widest variety of hot dogs in the country. Everything from Italian Hot Dogs and Texas Weiners (both originated in North Jersey) to kosher style all beef dogs, German style pork and beef, deep fried rippers, dirty water dogs; N.J. has it all.

Connecticut runs a close second. Hummel and Grote & Weigel make excellent all beef dogs in the kosher style. Grote & Weigel makes great beef and pork franks; many of which are served in Jersey hot dog joints. My favorite Conn. frank is the deep fried dog at S****y Franks. A tasty Hummel dog. I've tried Super Duper Weenie. A beef/pork mix that is good; but I prefer the Grote & Weigel beef/pork frank and Thumann's (the best beef/pork frank in my opinion). Rawley's was ok; I prefer the other 2 Conn. places. If you like a pork based deep fried dog, nowhere beats Rutt's Hut. They use a Thumann's dog that is specially made for deep frying. It rips open when cooked long enough. Their relish is the best hot dog condiment there is. See the Sterns reviews of these places elsewhere on Roadfood.

My favorite dogs of each type, which I highly reccomend are:

1) Italain Hot Dog: Charlies Famous in Kenilworth, N.J. An Italian Hot Dog is 1 or 2 deep fried all beef dogs (usually Best's from Newark, N.J.) in circular Italian pizza bread topped with deep fried peppers, potatoes, and onions. Charlies has better peppers and gives you more vegetables and bigger dogs than Jimmy Buff's which is the originator of this type of sandwich. Jimmy Buff's (many locations) and Tommy's in Elizabeth are also good.

2) Kosher style grilled all beef dog: Syd's in Union, N.J. A big (5 to a lb) Best's all beef dog simmerred in water than charbroiled. Best all beef dog I've had. Father & Son in Linden (Grote & Weigel all beef) slow cooked on a griddle, and Boulevard Drinks in Jersey City (Sabrett) griddled, are good too.

3) German Style Pork/Beef: Galloping Hill Inn in Union (Grote & Weigel) has a flavorfull but subtle flavor. Made specially for them by G&W, it is different than other G&W dogs. A big, sturdy football shaped bun makes this a unique dog. Max's (Schickhaus) and the Windmill (Sabrett beef and pork) are also good.

4) Texas Weiner. This is a dog covered with chili sauce, mustard and onions. The "Hot" Texas Weiner is a deep fried dog with thinner and spicier chili. The "Plainfield area" Texas Weiner is griddled and served with thicker chili sauce. The best "hot" Texas Weiner is from the Hot Grill in Clifton. Libby's and the Goffle Grill are good also. For a great "Plainfield area" Texas Weiner, go to Texas Weiner ll on rt 22 in Greenbrook.

5) Deep Fried: Rutt's Hut. Cooked to different degrees of doneness. In and out (cooked just enough to eat) Ripper (cooked till the skin rips) Weller (more well done) and cremator (black). The best homemade relish. Hiram's (same Thumann's dog) and Callahan's (Sabrett beef and pork) are also good.

6) Dirty Water: Jerry's in Elizabeth. A best brand dog boiled and then finished off on a grill for extra crunchiness. Dees truck in Roselle Park is good also.

If you need directions to any of these places, feel free to cntact me. Oh, and for cooking at home, Usinger's from Milwaukee (usinger.com) and Best's from Newark, N.J. make the best all beef dogs. Sabrett, Grote & Weigle, and Hummel are very good too. For beef and pork, Thumann's makes the best dog. Schickhaus and Grote & Weigel are also very good. The Union Pork Store makes good home made German Franks and the best bratwurst you will ever taste. Forgive the long post, but hot dogs are one of my passions.

Michael Stern

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 03/2/03 12:25 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scenicrec

I recently tried a ripper at Rutts Hut and it ruined me for hotdogs almost anywhere else! On your hotdog hunt you should check out Blackie's in Cheshire, CT. The dogs are decent, and the relish is outta sight- spicy and unusual, almost...cinnamon-y?

I was at Blackie's yesterday. Started with two. Got two more. Then two more for the road. Each, of course, heaped with that relish. You think cinnamon, really? Those people would die before they gave out the recipe.

dt917

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 03/10/03 4:45 PM (permalink)
      New Jersey does have an excellent assortment of Hot Dogs, the best and most unique of which come from Rutt's Hut. For whatever reason, no other deep-fried hot dog compares, maybe it's in the grease. Then too there's their superb relish. Three addenda on hot dogs:

1) Providence, RI is the home of the excellent New York System frank, your basic hot dog covered with a watery, all-beef chili, raw chopped onions and curry powder. Unique, and tasty. Chase it with a coffee milk, an indiginous RI drink. Olnyville New York System is where to go.

2) Zweigle's White Hots are the best franks on the market, period -- and not indiginous to New Jersey. I hope that they can get a national distributor someday.

3) Coleslaw as a dog topping is very underrated. Here in Boston, I like to get a deep-fried dog with slaw on top, for the contrast in textures and temperatures -- if only Rutt's had slaw!

travis

• Total Posts: 16
        RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 03/13/03 9:57 AM (permalink)
        I'll be on my way to Rutt's Hut after my next trip to Jersey Gardens what's a few more exits along the NJ Turnpike?).

In the meantime, has anyone been to that green "Italian/Newark-style" dog shack on the east side of Route 1 about halfway between I-287 and the Woodbridge Mall - it's really just south of the Menlo Park Mall.

I have been passing the place for years and never stopped. There are usually a few cars in the lot, so it looks fairly popular, but I always seem to be in the wrong lane for a quick frank-fix. Checker's is OK; Flamer's is gone(what a great name for a snack place in the NY metro area - maybe we'll see one in the Village)and I sometimes need a dog on my way to or from Pearl Paint.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 03/13/03 6:16 PM (permalink)
          Travis,
          I've been to that place on rt 1. It's called Frank's Newark Style Italian Hot Dogs. Pretty good too, although I prefer Charlies Famous on Michigan Ave. in Kenilworth. Real easy to get to. Parkway (doesn't matter north or southbound) to exit 138, left of the exit, 2 or 3 lights to Michigan Ave, make a left and you are right there. They give you more potatoes and vegetables, and the hot dogs are bigger. Almost all of the places use Best brand franks which taste great and contain soy proyein which aids in frying. Frank's uses Sabrett, which, in my opinion, aren't as flavorfull as Best. Plus the onions are mixed in with the peppers, so if you hate onions like I do; you can't get the peppers either. But a good place to stop if you are in the area. Charlies, Jimmy Buff's, and Tommy's (in Elizabeth) make the best Italian Hot Dogs. Dickie Dees and Frank's are just behind them and better than any Italian Hot Dog you will get in a regular pizzeria.

Dt917,
          You really think that Zweigle's are the best dogs on the market? I haven't had one, so I don't have an opinion on them. But I did hear that they are made of pork or pork and veal. Is this true? Sounds sort of like a bratwurst.

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 574
            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Thu, 03/27/03 2:05 PM (permalink)
            I grew up in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA. They call 'em hot dogs in Wilkes-Barre and serve 'em with chili (often spicy). My favorites are at the Central Lunch in Pittston (it's smoky in there, so order take out). In Scranton, they call 'em "Texas Weiners" and they serve 'em with a brown mustard. I've never been all that fond of the TW's, and I think the mustard is the reason why. Brown mustard on a hot dog?

However, I have found a great Texas Weiner---even if I had to go all the way to Jersey to get one---those at Libby's Lunch in Paterson. Great dogs...and an excellent chili sauce too!! I guess they don't use the brown mustard???

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 03/29/03 10:15 PM (permalink)
              Mom,
              Unfortunately, the best, or almost all of the best hot dog joints in the state are in North Jersey. I know Holly, and gave him the names and adressess of most of the places in Jersey. That said, there are a few in the southern part of the state. Max's is near the beach in Long Branch. It is a big quarter lb Schickhaus beef/pork dog slow cooked on a griddle. Delicious and one of the best beef and pork dogs in the state. In fact, I would put Max's right up there with the Galloping Hill Inn in Union as the best of this type. About a block away in Long Branch is the Windmill. They also have about a dozen other locations spread out across the state. I know they have one in Hazlet. A good dog with a very tough casing. I prefer Max's. A little more flavor than the Windmill. They (Windmill) use a special beef/pork dog made by Sabrett.
              A very good all beef dog is served at the Old Heidelburg on the Keansburg Boardwalk. This is a big Haydu brand dog cooked on a griddle. There are many places on the various boardwalks down the shore that serve very good dogs. The brand that many of them use is Boardwalk Griddle Franks which are made by Grote & Weigle of Bloomfield Conn. This is a beef and pork dog very similar to the Schickhaus dog used by Max's. Some of the places use the same dog Max's does. One that comes to mind is Martell's in Point Pleasant. Jo-Jo's in Toms River makes a pretty good Italian Hot Dog.

njMike

• Total Posts: 9
                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 03/30/03 3:19 PM (permalink)
                Mom --

It's a bit of a hike, but if you're in the Wildwood area, Maui's Dog House is excellent. We were on an extended family jaunt last summer and ate there. We told the rest of the group about it and all ended up for lunch at Maui's with great reviews.They make their own dogs and serve fresh cut fries. Worth the trip!

http://www.mauisdoghouse.com/

Read the review on Holly's Hot Dog page.

Craig328

• Total Posts: 89
                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 05/10/03 10:50 PM (permalink)
                  For you shore aficionados "Old Heidelburg" on the Keansburg blacktop, amusement park takes my top vote. Premium All Beef Franks in natural casing and a buttered and toasted bun makes them absolutely delicious. "Old Heidelburg" has been is existence for better that forty years. You can't beat their tomato & onion based cart sauce.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/11/03 8:30 PM (permalink)
                    I went to the Old Heidelburg for the first time last summer, and it is a great dog. They cook it on a griddle which has a lot of cooking oil thrown on it. Makes for a delicious all beef dog. Up there with Syd's, Boulevard Drinks, and Father & Son as the best all beef dogs in Jersey. Rutt's Hut is pork based. They didn't want to divulge the brand of dog used, but I found out that it is Haydu's Boardwalk Beef Griddle Franks. They are available at the Foodtown in Colonia from May to August or Sept.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/19/03 11:06 AM (permalink)
                      John
                      You have identified the best of the best hot dog eateries and products.
                      I have appreciated 95 percent of the places and hot dogs which you and others have commented on. I enjoyed the eating and the reading about them. As a boy of eleven, I used to enjoy going to Cohen's on Hawthorne avenue in Newark, NJ for a couple of hot works. They were boiled kosher or kosher style hot dogs with mustard, hot relish and saurkraut. I also enjoyed what was called a potato dog. This was a hot dog encased in a potatoe knishe filling and deep fried. Great memories.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 05/19/03 8:37 PM (permalink)
                        Never heard of the potato dog. Sounds pretty good though. Growing up in Newark, I'm sure you've had your share of Italian Hot Dogs. Dickee Dees is still in Newark. Jimmy Buff's moved awhile ago, but the place that was there is called Lou's and makes Italian Hot Dogs.

hylkman

• Total Posts: 2
                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 07/21/03 7:07 PM (permalink)
                          I'm a new member here; thank you everyone for your contributions. Got my mouth watering.
                          I would like to offer one more great Texas Weiner joint that I don't know if was mentioned previously. It's called J & G's Texas Weiners and is located on Rt. 28 in Dunellen NJ, just about a 2 miles from Texas Weiner II. I've been going there for over 35 years (3 or 4 different owners, but the same great chili). The chili is of the same granular type, like that of Texas Weiner I in Plainfield (Watchung Ave.) and Texas Weiner II in Greenbrook (Rt. 22 W) only the quality is much better, with a much greater ground beef to minced onion ingredient ratio. Ya gotta try these -- can't eat just one. If you get there, try one with their mustard, chili, and cooked onions -- just shout out, "one up", cooked onions......or with raw onions, it's just "one up".

Enjoy!

funky16corners

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 07/29/03 1:06 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Puff-Boyardi

This is what the place on Route 1 is like. Another great burger place is near Rutger's it was called The White Rose System. I forgot the highway it was on but the line was always out the door. One of the best burgers I have ever had.

The White Rose System is still up and running on Woodbridge Ave in Highland Park (take the right-hand side of the fork coming from New Brunswick on RT27). Best California Cheeseburgers around, and they also had a formidable porkroll/egg/cheese sandwich.
                            White Rose was a required stop after a night of drinking. My brothers and I can still look at each other, shout 'Ketchup on your fries?!?" and know it's a White Rose reference.

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                              RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 08/2/03 5:00 PM (permalink)
                              Callahan's in Fort Lee was our family favorite. It was located a stone's throw from the old Palisades Amusement Park. Back in the 60's & 70's before they remodeled, you ordered your food at the takeout window & ate in the car. Your "dogs to travel" were presented in small paper trays with a piece of wax paper covering them. The fries were pure heaven. How I miss those days... deep fried hot dogs - yummm...

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                                RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Tue, 09/9/03 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                A few weeks ago, we went to Great Adventure (Jackson, NJ) with my son's soccer team. I bought him a hot dog, he took one bite, and declared it to be "delicious." I looked back at the stand & realized they served Sabrett dogs--no wonder he loved it! He must have a very sophisticated 11-year old pallette

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                                  RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 12/12/03 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                  Found myself in Cranford around lunch time so I decided to take a little detour and check out Galloping Hill for the first time. Rutt's Hut will always be my favorite but the chili dog at Galloping Hill is excellent.The nice roll they serve it in handles the generous portions of onions and chili well. As far as Italian hot dogs go I tried the Jimmy Buff's on Rte. 22 many years ago....too greasy for my stomach....Frank's on Rte. 1 is good but not great....I've been going there for years and the main draw is Frank's wife Pat who runs the place....she's a trip.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 05/21/04 8:10 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by LouisR

Mr. John Fox:

I am another hot dog fanatic from N.J. It was great to read your post. Finally a kindred spirit!

I lived in N.J. in the 1950's, 60's, and 70's. Now I'm in New Orleans, where it is impossible to get a decent hot dog.

The best I've ever had were served up in middle school in Cranford. Brilliant student that I was (not), I never inquired about them, and they have faded, sadly, into my history.

Second best, however, were enjoyed frequently at Stewart's Root Beer stands in Clark, Plainfield and Roselle. They were deep fried and spectacular. They required no condiments and it would have been an insult to their flavor to add even mustard. I always ate them plain. I was very impressed by your post, and very surprised, also, that you did not mention Stewart's. Some of the outlets have ceased to exist, but I have heard there are still a few around, one in Rahway.

Over the years, I have noticed, several great foods have declined in quality or disappeared altogether. I hope the same old quality I remember and miss so badly can still be found in Rahway and at the other Stewart's, but I don't know since I haven't been in N.J. for decades. I've heard about Ruts Hut, but have not yet tried a ripper! I could not believe you rated Ruts tops for deep fried dogs yet made no mention whatever of Stewart's.

I also miss Taylor Pork Roll (have you tried that?) and have contacted Porkrollexpress.com, a business set up to send TPR to N.J. expatriates like me, who long, on occasion, to be back home there. The gals at Porkrollexpress.com were kind enough to research Stewarts on my behalf. They told me Stewart's used Thumann's, which I could not verify independently. I had them procure and obtain some Thumann's hot dogs, and I deep fried them at home. They were not bad, but were not the dogs I used to get at Stewart's. Perhaps Thumann does indeed produce a different "model" which Stewart's uses. I'd like to find out.

I remember Jimmy Buffs italian hot dogs. Not bad, but I don't consider them to be in a league with Stewart's. They were a taste experience, but it was due to the way they were dressed, on those rolls, and with the potatos and other condiments. Stewart's were superb in and of themselves, just because of the fine hot dogs they were, and perhaps also because of the way they were cooked, and as I mentioned, they required no condiments. I wonder what Jimmy Buffs would taste like if they used Stewart's hot dogs. I don't even want to think about what a JB hot dog would taste like deep fried and on a plain bun without condiments.

If you (or any who read this) have any idea how I can get Stewart's type hot dogs here in New Orleans, or any thoughts about any of the above, I'd like to hear from you at louisr01@aol.com

Thanks for your fine post on this service.

LouisR

Louis,

I work in Clark and Rahway. I was unaware that Clark had a Stewart's. Rahway currently has 2. One on St. Georges Ave. and one on Randolph Rd. I've been to these as well as the Stewart's on rt 22 in Clinton, which is western N.J. I've spoken to one of the owners, and as far as hot dogs go, it is up to the owner of the individual Stewart's as to the brand of hot dog used and the method of cooking. Many seem to use Thumann's. The place on Randolph rd. used at least 3 brands. Sabrett's and Nathan's are used interchangeably; or at least were the last time I went there about 3 or 4 years ago. They are beef dogs and were deep fried. Skinless; the same that you can get in the supermarket. They had a bigger dog, maybe 1/4 pound that they served. This dog was a skinless Haydu brand. Also all beef. These dogs were all pretty good; but not great. The thing that stood out to me was that they were very inexpensive. A great value. I'll have to go back to see if anything has changed.

The other Stewart's on St. Georges Ave. uses Thumann's. Now the thing to remember about Thumann's is that they have 3 different recipes. An all beef, a beef/pork blend for grilling, and a special beef/pork blend that is for deep frying. This is the dog that is used at Rutt's and other places that I've mentioned. And it might be the dog that was used at the Stewart's that you've been to. It is different than the one for grilling (that you find in the blue and white package in stores) and the all beef dog. I'm almost certain that the one you fried was the one for grilling. The only way you can get the deep fry dog is through a Thumann's distributor. Fortunately, I have access to one. Now the Stewart's on St. Georges uses the Thumann's griller. And untill about a year or 2 ago, they cooked it on a griddle. An excellent dog. But recently they changed their cooking method to deep frying. But still use the regular dog for grilling. It's okay, but the one for deep frying is better for deep frying. The only way to know what each Stewart's uses is to ask or poke around in the trash for empty boxes. Many of the employees don't even know. One of them (Randolph Rd.) had to ask the owner.

The Stewart's in Clinton on rt 22 uses a Dietz and Watson all beef frank. It is skinless and cooked on one of those roller grills. It's pretty good. Again nothing special. I would like a beef dog grilled or charbroiled with a natural casing. It's a good bet that many of the Stewart's in the South Jersey/West Jersey area use the Dietz and Watson dog because it's a Philly product.

I eat Taylor Pork Roll about once a week. I've had Jimmy Buff's Italian Hot Dogs. I consider Charlies Famous Italian Hot Dogs to be the best example of this style. An Italian Hot Dog would not be good if they used a frank like the Thumann's for grilling or deep frying. An Italian Hot Dog must be an all beef dog. Almost all the Italian Hot Dog joints use Best brand all beef dogs. This type of sandwich has spices in it that favor an all beef dog (with paprika and garlic) rather than the milder German style dog (like Thumann's). Of course, a Thumann's beef dog would be good for an Italian Hot Dog. Sabrett or Nathan's also, though I prefer Best's. And this particular dog does taste good deep fried, with just a little bit of mustard. Remember, the Stewart's on Randolph Rd. uses an all beef dog deep fried.

I can't tell you how to get Stewart's hot dogs in New Orleans since each one chooses their own brand and cooking. Maybe you can try and find out from anyone you know who frequented these places way back when. Because new owners come and go and always change things. As I said, the Stewart's on St Georges changed cooking methods. And years ago, they might have used a different brand. I don't know what's available in New Orleans, but Thumann's is expanding and may be available down there. Look for it. And if you come in contact with a Thumann's distributor, ask for the deep fry dogs. Good luck.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 05/23/04 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                      The White Diamond is alive and well! I'm there every day as it's on my route. It was renovated 3 or 4 years ago. The White Rose in Roselle is even better. Same exact food, but their burgers have much more meat.

When I cook dogs at home, most of the time it's either a 5 to a lb Best dog that's used at Syd's, or the Thumann's griller. I simmer the Best's dog in water, then char broil it like Syd's. The Thumann's griller is slow cooked on my griddle. Sometimes I top this dog with Rutt's relish or the Hot Grill's chili.

I get the deep fry dogs (used at Rutt's) from a pizzeria whose owner I know well. He gets his meats from Thumann's. I have him order the franks (5 lb minimum) from the Thumann's distributor and then buy them from the pizzeria. The distributor will not sell them directly to me. I just pay the pizzeria what he pays for them. I buy them maybe once or twice a year. I would suggest that you try to find a place near you that uses Thumann's products (if there are any in New Orleans) and ask them to order the dogs from the distributor. If you can't find anyone, you might want to e-mail Thumanns at thumanns.com. If that doesn't work, then try to find a German butcher or deli that makes their own franks. These are almost always high quality.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 07/2/04 6:49 AM (permalink)
                                        JD,
                                        I've been to Hiram's and Callahan's. I prefer Hiram's. The dog is a little tastier and you can get beer. Just a great atmosphere. Callahan's uses a beef and pork dog made by Sabrett, the same dog used by the Windmill and the Hot Grill, although the Windmill grills rather than deep fries their dogs. Did you know that Hiram's uses the same dog as Rutt's Hut? It is a Thumann's frank especially made for deep frying (as opposed to their griller). If you love Hiram's, you'll love Rutt's. Same dog cooked the same way. The reason that I prefer Rutt's to the other places that use this same dog is because at Rutt's you can get the dog cooked to different degrees of doneness. There is the in and outer, which is deep fried until cooked just enough, then there is the ripper (most dogs served at Rutt's are rippers) cooked until the skin rips, the weller, which is well done; cooked more than the ripper (my preference) and the cremator, cooked till it's almost black (I don't like it burnt like this). The dogs are already in the oil when you walk in, so when you order, they just pluck the appropriate dog out of the oil. No waiting at all. Most of the places like Hiram's, Libby's, Johnny and Hanges, and the others that serve the Special Thumann's deep fryer serve a dog somewhere between an in and outer and a ripper. I'm sure that if you went to Hiram's you could ask for a dog cooked more and they would accomodate you. But the other reason I prefer Rutt's is their unique homemade relish. Try Rutt's. And get the relish. If you get one plain, ask for an in and outer. You'll see that it is the exact same dog that you get at Hiram's.

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 07/12/04 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                          I checked out Charlie's in Kenilworth today for the first time and have to agree with Mr. Fox. The best Italian style dog I've had so far.

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Wed, 07/14/04 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by WindMillHotDog

John Fox---

I am sad to hear what you have to say about the WindMill HotDogs. The WIndMill is far superior in taste to the plain schickhaus griddler that Max's serves.

WindMill Hot dogs are also available in Area Foodtowns, Markets and coming soon to Wegmans.

John- please email me and I will send you a complimentary meal ticket at the WindMill Restaurants.

I've compared The Windmill to Max's several times. They are less than a mile from each other. I've gone to the Windmill, bought 2 dogs, then got 2 at Max's and ate them in the parking lot at Max's. Usually shared them with my family. It seems to me that the Schickhaus frank (actually made by Grote & Weigel of Conn.)served at Max's has slightly more flavor. The Windmill frank made by Sabrett has a tougher casing. This type of dog, a German style pork/beef blend is actually considered bland by people who prefer a spicier, kosher style all beef dog. I, myself, like both styles. The beef/pork dogs have a less agressive spicing, but their own unique flavor due to the addition of pork. I will say that the last time I compared Max's and the Windmill a few weeks ago, I noticed little difference.

The Windmill-Max's debate seems split right down the middle. Talk to a hundred people, 50 will prefer one, 50 the other. If you look at one of my original posts on the first page of this thread, I listed the Galloping Hill Inn, Max's, and the Windmill as the three best dogs in this style (Germman style beef and pork). I didn't say anything negative about the Windmill except that I found it slightly less flavorful than the dog at Max's. But as I said, last time I compared them, they were very close. If anything, I would hope that the Windmill dog would do better in comparisons, since the dog comes from a N.J. based company, rather than Conn. like the Max's dog and so many other Jersey doghouses that use Conn. products. I'm sure that you are affiliated with the Windmill, so I don't know how objective you can be. Of course you're gonna say you prefer your product. I am glad to hear that the Windmill dogs will be available at Supermarkets. I would very much like to take a Windmill dog and a Schickhaus dog, both purchased fresh the same day, cook them in the same place (my home) on the same surface (my griddle)at the same temperature and then get a true indication of how each dog measures up. I suspect that the Max's dog at Long Branch may be cooked longer (my preference) than the Windmill dog. This may account in some part to my preferring the Max's dog. See hollyeats.com. He too rates Max's higher.

Maybe if you can get me some dogs, I can conduct an informal taste test. I'm not affiliated with any hot dog restaurant or manufacturer, so the results would be totally unbiased. Taste is subjective and what I list as my favorites reflect my personal tastes and opinions. Plus I do blind taste tests. Ironically I spoke with someone at Wegmans a few weeks ago about getting Usinger's beef franks from Milwaukee, one of the best, if not the best beef frank in the country. This man mentioned to me that he worked for the Windmill setting up new restaurants before coming to Wegmans! He didn't say anything about Wegmans getting the Windmill dogs. But I hope it comes to pass. I'm looking forward to comparing the 2 franks blindfolded under controlled conditions with an open mind.

Thanks for your offer of a complimentary meal ticket. I love the food at the Windmill. Everything is great, not just the hot dogs.

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
                                              RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Fri, 07/16/04 11:52 PM (permalink)
                                              John -

If you're serious about conducting a northern Joisey hot dog tour a la the CheeseWiz cheesesteak tour - count me in.

I'll be happy to drive down from CT to join you.
                                              You make the schedule to coincide with your weekend off.

Then, you and the Mayor can come up here and I'll take you to Rosco's, Blackie's, Capitol Lunch, Glenwood, SDW, Mr. Mac's, Cricket, Danny's, Chick's, Rawley's - wherever you want to go.

(anybody hungry yet?)

Who else is up for giving the legendary John Fox a taste of CT dogs ?

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sat, 07/17/04 7:07 PM (permalink)
                                                Long Dog,

I've been meaning to return to Conn. for some time now. I will get up there before the end of summer. The few times I've been there, I've tried Super Duper Weenie, Rawley's, and Swanky Frank's. I've also had the dog served at Rosco's which is made in Jersey and available here. Unfortunately none of the hot dog joints near me serve this particular dog. I can buy it in stores (and do) to cook at home. Our local little league field used to serve this dog.

Connecticut has a great reputation for hot dogs. In my opinion, they are a close second to New Jersey. They might even have more hot dog places than Jersey. And they have more locally made hot dogs. Conn. has Hummel's, Mucke's, Miller's, Roessler (which has moved out of state), Grote & Weigle, and Rosol's. And probably more than what I've named. Jersey has Best's, Thumann's, Schickhaus (which is actually made for the Jersey market by Grote & Weigel of Conn.) Schmalz's, Kohler's (now also made out of state, I believe) Sabrett, and several high quality franks made in German-Polish butcher shops like Gaiser's, Union Pork Store, Fritz's, and Lutz's. Plus we have access to Nathan's, Boar's Head, Schaller & WEber, Hofmann's, and other brands made nearby.

What's interesting is that one of the best hot dogs in the country is from the Galloping Hill Inn in Jersey. Their dog is made in Conn. by Grote & Weigel, but the particular dog is not available in Connecticut or anywhere else. It was made originally by a small butcher shop in Union (Gaiser's). Galloping Hill sold so many hot dogs that they were afraid that Gaiser's wouldn't be able to handle the demand or that they might go out of business or be sold. They were sold eventually, but before this happenned, the current owners of the Galloping Hill Inn took the recipe for the franks and went looking for a larger company that would be able to make these hot dogs to their specifications. They chose Grote & Weigel. What's also interesting is that the best German style (beef and pork dog) in Connecticut is a Jersey dog. It's Rosco's, and as I said, this particular dog is not served in any restaurants near me.

Jersey has a little more variety than Conn. You can't get an Italian Hot Dog in Conn. and there are only one or two dirty water hot dog stands there. On the other hand, Conn. serves a lot of good, deep fried all beef natural casing dogs, like Swanky Franks. In Jersey, I've only come across one place that serves a deep fried all beef dog with casing. Of course, Italian Hot Dogs contain deep fried beef dogs, but they are skinless and I was referring to plain hot dogs.

The 2 states make for a great comparison. I think Conn. might have more hot dog joints, but Jersey has slightly more variety, and may actually sell more dogs. Some of the places serve thousands of dogs a day, and some are open till 1 in the morning and open at 9 am.the next day. I originally went to Conn. to have a dog at Rawley's. My nephew told me they served a great deep fried dog that was famous. They always won best of awards. Martha Stewart ate there as did David Letterman. Martha Stewart grew up near Rutt's and ate there also. I had to see how Rawley's compared to Rutt's. I went and liked the dog, but no comparison to Rutt's. Not even close. I liked Swanky's (even though it is a different style) and Super Duper Weenie much better. In fact, SDW's New Englander is one of the best dogs in the country. I like the Galloping Hill Inn's dog better than SDW, but not as much as Rosco's in Hartford.

In Jersey, for an all beef dog, none is better than Syd's. A big 5 to a lb charbroiled dog. I think the dog at the Glenwood in Hamden Ct. would be similar, as it is an all beef dog about the same size cooked the same way. I've had the Hummel dog numerous times and it is one of my top 5 favorite all beef dogs. It has a unique tanginess that some dogs (Miller's also) from Conn. seem to have. But I think the Best's dog served at Syd's is the best beef dog around. I'm looking forward to going to the Glenwood, as well as Rosco's next trip to Conn.

Maybe we ought to consider a Jersey and Conn. hot dog run.

long dog

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/18/04 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                                  Rawley's = Roessler's
                                                  Mr. Mac's = Hummel's (fried, then grilled)
                                                  Blackie's = Hummel's (fried only - not a lot of snap)
                                                  Cricket = Hummel's (fried & grilled)
                                                  Doogie's = Grote & Weigel

SDW - Miller's recipe made by a shop in Manchester CT.

The owner of Miller's in Stratford retired and left the business to his son who closed up shop within a year. SDW contacted the father, got the recipe for the dog from him, and is getting the Miller recipe dog from a different shop.

What do you think of Deutschmacher dogs ?

Personally, I like them better than Grote & Weigel and Hummel's.
                                                  They're pretty popular in the deli cases and in 3 lb. boxes up here.

We can get Best's and Sabrett's in 1 lb. packages, but I don't particularly care for pre-packaged dogs. I'd much rather get them loose from the deli counter.

Thumann's is available in the 5 lb. package from BJ's Wholesale Club in North Haven. Great dog if you like the smoky flavor. I haven't found them at a deli counter, although the Shaw's in Stratford has a large line of Thumann's cold cuts.

Roessler's is still available if you know where to find them.

I did a 5 dog side by side comparison (on my own little Char-Broil camping grill) with a couple of friends on 4th of July weekend where I was the only one who knew which dog was which.
                                                  Each person had half a dog (on 1/2 a bun) of each variety.
                                                  Deutschmacher did very well in the contest - finishing above both Hummel's and Grote & Weigel in the voting.

As for the hot dog run - I say "Let's do it."

I've only been to Rutt's for Jersey dogs, and love them as does everybody that I've brought there.

You and I both have the same employer, so I know that your schedule is hectic this time of the year. I've had fixed Sa/Su off for the last 11 yrs., but would gladly burn a day of AL mid-week to go dogging with you.

long dog

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/18/04 10:55 AM (permalink)
                                                    Wish I could make it for the Cheesesteak tour.

Getting through Jersey on a summer weekend is brutal traffic-wise with everybody heading to the shore.

A three hour drive can easily turn into five.

I've only done the 9th & Passyunk tour in Philly.

If the hot dog tours come to fruition, we'll start a new topic so everybody that's interested will see it.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                                      RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/18/04 11:46 AM (permalink)
                                                      John Fox,

I hope you will be able to join the Cheesesteak Tour on the 31st. It would be the perfect time to lay the groundwork for the Northern Jersey Hot Dog Tour.

Howard

John Fox

RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/18/04 12:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        I regret that I can't make the Cheesesteak Tour either as I'm working that day.

long dog,

I've had the Deutschmacher dog. Last summer we had to drop my daughter off at school in Conn. I stopped at a Supermarket and bought a Hummel's beef and pork (all beef wasn't available), Grote & Weigel, Deutscmacher's (from Rhode Island I think), Mucke's and Kayem's (from Maine or Mass.) In N.J. the only supermarket near me that sells loose franks in the deli dept is Wegmans. I was just there earlier to buy a Thumann's and Hofmann's for lunch later. Be careful buying them loose. Once I bought some loose franks from Wegmans in Bridgewater and they had a different color, slightly green. It was a Thumann's. The plant manager at Thumann's who I correspond with from time to time told me that the dogs stay fresher if they are sealed in the package. The lights in the deli dept. plus the open air cause them to deteriorate faster and to turn color.

Out of the franks that I sampled from the store in Conn., I didn't like the Hummels beef and pork (bad maybe?). I know their beef dog is a quality frank. The Grote & Weigel dog was definitely spoiled and I threw it out. The Deutschmacher, Kayem's, and Mucke's were very similar; in fact Deutschmacher and Kayem's were identical in taste; both quality franks similar in flavor to Hofmann's from Syracuse. I think I liked the Mucke's a little bit better.

The Best's and Sabrett's that you get there are good, but they are the skinless versions. The natural casing ones are much better.

I'm up for a hot dog run; late August looks good for me; I'll be off of work for 2 weeks.

long dog

• Location: Milford, CT
                                                          RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Sun, 07/18/04 10:27 PM (permalink)
                                                          so I guess we're looking at August 21-22 and August 28-29 depending on Saturday/Sunday.
                                                          Some places up here, like Rosco's, are closed on Sunday, so I'd prefer doing a Saturday for the CT portion of the tour.

greasewheel

• Total Posts: 52
                                                            • Location: Litchfield, CT
                                                            RE: New Jersey Hot Dogs Mon, 07/19/04 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                                            long dog, John Fox & whoever else. Count me in for an August tour. Any day or time would be fine. I work in Hartford and recently tried Rosco's and I have to say it is one of my favorite places in CT along with SDW and Glenwood. I don't know if I mentioned it in a previous thread or not but I am a good friend of Gary's at SDW. We grew up together and I have somehow stayed in touch with him over the years. I would love to introduce him to all of you (if you don't already know him). Keep me posted on the dates.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 67, messages 1 to 30 of 1989

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com