New Mexico Roadfood Tour

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 894
2010/09/23 00:00:25 (permalink)

New Mexico Roadfood Tour

I invite folks to pile their reports from the New Mexico Roadfood tour into this thread with mine.

Thursday, September 16:

I parked at CMU and took the 28X bus to the airport. This turns out to be a pretty good airport-transportation solution. It's much cheaper than parking at the airport, and it's pretty convenient: it takes 47 minutes to get from Oakland to the airport, but it lets you out next to the baggage claim, so it's pretty competitive with driving from Oakland to the airport plus parking plus getting from the extended-term parking to the airport terminal.

I had a meal from Nature's Kitchen in the airport, which was surprisingly good: juicy jerk chicken with a strong taste of thyme and other herbs, and tasty macaroni and cheese.

Flew to Albuquerque. Got in late and tired enough that I just went to bed without joining up with any Roadfooders.

Friday, September 17:

When I joined the group congregating at 8:30, Jane Stern said, "Ralph, you're my last hope." She had bought an iPad, but wasn't able to make it work with the App Store. She offered to buy all the meals on the trip for anyone who sorted out her problem. Jon Battle and I engaged the issue. I'd like to think that I could have sorted it out eventually, but Jon was the one who eventually solved her problem.

On the bus, ChiTownDiner passed around cookies he'd gotten from Golden Crown Panaderia. The white ones are wedding cookies, sugar cookies with pecans rolled in powdered sugar. The brown ones are biscochitos, New Mexico's official state cookie. Biscochitos are anise-flavored cookies with a crumbly texture.

Our first stop was a surprise: instead of going to the Frontier Restaurant for breakfast, we were going to the Bobcat Bite. (I think Bobcat Bite hadn't been on the original schedule because a large group would overwhelm the restaurant; it seats 24, and had opened early just for us.)

The green chile cheeseburger from Bobcat Bite was thick and juicy - it's a ten-ounce burger. (I shared one with three other people.) The chiles were a fairly mild, subtle flavor; mostly this was just an excellent burger.

We also shared an order of the skillet beans, which were very bacony and tasty. The beans are only available during the summer, and we learned the reason why: during the winter, they make green chile stew, and they only have a few burners in the kitchen, so green chile stew has to usurp baked beans.

In Santa Fe, my first stop was Pasqual's, with about ten other Roadfooders. We got lucky: the big central table was open when we came in.

I ordered the fruita liquida, which turned out to be basically a smoothie. It had an orange juice base, with bananas and strawberries blended in. Very good.

Stephen Rushmore and I shared the huevos motuleños: "Eggs Over Easy on Corn Tortillas with Black Beans Topped with Sauteéd Bananas, Feta Cheese, Green Peas, Roasted Tomato-Jalapeño Salsa, Served with Green Chile or Tomatillo Salsa". It was very good, but well outside my usual experience. I particularly found the spicy bananas unusual.

I also enjoyed samples of chicken mole, smoked trout hash, and chilled tomato soup.

From there, it was just around the corner to the Five and Dime, purported originator of the Frito Pie.

Two of us shared a Frito pie, and I don't think we finished it. It was much like every other Frito pie I've had, though the chili was a bit spicier - but it didn't call out to be finished.

A little way across Santa Fe's plaza was Roque's Carnitas:

The carnitas were very tasty, with plenty of seasoning. I didn't notice much heat, but it would certainly have been too spicy for Lori.

This must be Chris Ayers taking a picture of the carnitas: my clue is the ultrafabulous Route 66 shirt he was wearing. My guess is that cousin Johnny was holding the carnitas, but I'm less certain of that.

On the walk to Santacafe, I saw this delightful sculpture in front of the Santa Fe library. A tree festooned with ice cream cones, cupcakes, hamburgers, hot dogs, and sodas seems perfectly apt for a Roadfood trip.

There's a certain subtype of upscale restaurants that tend to describe themselves like this: "Chef Whatshisname combines a focus on fresh, locally sourced ingredients with a passion for culinary ingenuity to provide an original twist on classic dishes." I'm willing to believe that such a statement is mostly true, and I've had some very good meals in such places - but such places all tend to be a bit homogenous to me. It's like the way beautiful, diverse movie stars all end up looking like movie stars. The point of this ramble: Santacafe is one such restaurant, and though the food was good, it didn't enrapture me.

I believe this to be Bruce Bilmes' green chile cheeseburger. I know that I had a bite, but I don't remember the taste.

I don't think I tried the Shrimp & Spinach Dumplings w/ Tahini Sauce pictured here.

I did sample the corn and potato soup, and it was really splendid, very rich and creamy.

I ordered the Shiitake & Cactus Spring Rolls with Southwestern Ponzu. My impression is that cactus tastes like asparagus, sort of woody and green. It wasn't bad, but didn't give me nearly the pleasure of Bobcat Bite.

A view from the bus back to Albuquerque:

Next up: New Mexico State Fair

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; font-size: small"]

54 Replies Related Threads

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 11:12:15 (permalink)
    I woulda had to try that huevos thing with the bananas along with you guys.  Sounds weird, but really good.  And that corn and potato soup.  Terrific pictures!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 12:07:49 (permalink)
    Thanks! This is my first photo tour with with iPhone 4 with the HDR photos. I'm still trying to get the hang of things, and I don't always prefer the HDR photos to the non-HDR.

For example, in this pair, the HDR photo does a great job of including the blue of the sky (HDR on the bottom):
    IMG_1084 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr IMG_1085 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

But in this pair, the HDR photo (again on the bottom) looks kind of washed out and overexposed.
    IMG_1078 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr IMG_1079 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 12:26:10 (permalink)
    I love that HDR sky ... and the picture from the bus. Keep 'em coming!
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 15:55:08 (permalink)
    Yes, that HDR is surreal.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2941
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 16:02:47 (permalink)
    I feel like I was along with you...oh wait, I was!

Nice start Ralph!  I'll try to get some time and get a few loaded up!
    Pixel Farmer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 16:11:31 (permalink)
    Hi youse guys, I just wanted to pop in here and say again how much I enjoyed the tour, the meeting and the eating. Thank you all for a great experience!

I also wanted to mention that Sunday morning, after I picked up my rental car (Hertz talked me into upgrading to a testosterone-red Mustang), I went back downtown and found the Flying Star again, because I wanted to check out the turkey + green chile sausage. Highly recommended — the green chile flavor becomes more pronounced as the sausage (patties, not links) cools to room temp. Too bad the eggs I wanted over-easy came out fried hard. Otherwise, a very good meal thanks to that sausage.

Looking forward to more trip reportage on this thread!   -- Wm.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 18:54:58 (permalink)
    Our first destination in the New Mexico State Fair was the Asbury Cafe, which buffetbuster had drawn our attention to beforehand. Asbury Cafe is a pie shop that's been operating only at the New Mexico State Fair for fifty years now, which gives all of its proceeds to local charities. I found it interesting to read more about it at http://www.asburyabq.org/cafe/ . (Donors have pie-making parties! What's not to like about that?)

I had a challenging ordering experience:
    They were out of the sour cream raisin pie. (Note to self: the Asbury Cafe's recipe for sour cream raisin pie is athttp://www.asburyabq.org/cafe/recipe.htm )
    I ordered the green chile apple pie. They ran out of the green chile apple pie before filling my order.
    So I ordered the cherry apricot pie. I didn't make it all the way through the ordering process; they removed it from the list as soon as I mentioned it.
    So I ordered the blackberry peach pie. Again they ran out of this pie before filling my order. (They marked about six varieties of pie off the board while we Roadfooders were there. This picture might hint at part of the reason:
    )
    I then ordered the strawberry rhubarb pie. Out of sympathy with my difficulties, the order-taker asked, "Would you like complementary ice cream with that?" I agreed.
    After a few minutes, another lady called my name and handed me a piece of pie with ice cream. As I sat down with it, the original order-taker called my name and handed me a slice of pie (without ice cream). She then realized that I already had a piece of pie in my hand, and confusion reigned for a moment. At last, she said "well, it's yours now!" My interpretation is that she had concluded that giving me extra pie was preferable to trying to deal with me any more.

These pieces of pie go a long way to explaining why I didn't eat dinner. The one with ice cream is strawberry rhubarb. The one on the right was harder to identify; the apricot was clearly identifiable, but it was harder to identify the red component. I finally identified it from a bite that clearly showed strawberry seeds. Both pies were excellent, as was the green chile apple pie I sampled from Tom's plate.

After that, we walked around the fair a bit. For me, at least, I was more interested in hanging out with the group I was with than seeing anything in particular about the fair. I think that was the case for many of the others, and so we didn't do all that much at the fair.

Tom tried the green chili dog on a stick, and reported that the green chiles added little flavor to the corn dog:

We watched some folk dancing in the Hispanic area for a bit. There was one dance in particular that perplexed me: it had several kids dancing with ribbons around a central kid who carried a platter with a papier-mâché pig. I tried to Google to learn more about this dance, but I came up blank; if anyone can shed light on this, I'd be glad.

If I recall correctly, Pixel Farmer sampled the peach habenero ice cream. He reported that it was vanilla ice cream with a peach-habenero sauce, and he liked it a lot.

Truth in advertising:

As we were drifting towards the exit, several of us slowed to watch the mechanical bull ride. After watching several people take a ride, I decided to give it a try myself.
    What leads someone like me (not very athletic, not very macho) to ride the mechanical bull? I happened to be paying attention to my thinking, so I can tell you. My logic went something like this:
    • Our group would have a lot more fun if one of us rode the mechanical bull.
    • I expect to have no aptitude whatsoever for bull-riding. But that won't make much difference to the group's fun.
    • The cost makes me flinch - but I would cheerfully pay that much for a snack to share with people. I could afford it.
    I have no regrets.
    (I don't see how to embed video into forum posts; you can watch the video Amy recorded at http://www.facebook.com/v....php?v=154788567882700 .)

Reflections about riding the mechanical bull:
    • it chafed and slapped my inner thighs fiercely. The skin of my thighs felt fairly tender afterward.
    • I had expected that my hat would fly off in a dramatic way during the bull ride. If I had known that it would not, I would have taken off my hat myself and waved it to enhance the dramatic effect.

Back to the hotel from there. I didn't go out again that evening.

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; font-size: small"]

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 19:17:43 (permalink)
    I have to give Ralph "The Santa Fe Kid" Melton full marks for stepping up and riding the bull.  He got a rousing ovation from the group when he was done.  Here are some of the photos I took:

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 19:42:36 (permalink)
    Cliff / Ralph - Those are some epic photos.  Bravo!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 20:49:39 (permalink)
    I did not realize the extent of the chafing until now...glad buffetbuster had that tub of salve.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/23 22:31:26 (permalink)
    That is made of solid awesome.  Hats off to you Ralph!
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 05:51:16 (permalink)
    I agree that the green chile dog was tame and lame. It's a good idea, but demands some serious chile (not to mention a better class of dog).
    Hey, where is the video of your bull ride?

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 06:51:09 (permalink)
    Even for tame and lame...that's a really good picture!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 08:11:44 (permalink)
    Great work Ralph! Thanks for sharing.

One question about HDR. I had always understood that HDR photos were rendered from multiple exposures taken of the same scene at differing settings. Is that outdated now? Are the single scene HDR photos simply rendered by camera electronics from the one setting? 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 08:45:46 (permalink)
    Ralph great report  so far- wish I could have been there.I'm assuming that the photo of those 6 slices of pie is where Buffetbuster sat?
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 09:46:25 (permalink)
    Tony Bad
    One question about HDR. I had always understood that HDR photos were rendered from multiple exposures taken of the same scene at differing settings. Is that outdated now? Are the single scene HDR photos simply rendered by camera electronics from the one setting? 

No clue what he used but New Mexico sky is pretty awesome all on it's own.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 10:42:36 (permalink)

The iPhone takes three pictures in a row at different settings, then combines them together with software. This means that it does weird things with moving images. As an example, look at this pair of non-HDR (top) and HDR (bottom) from Pasqual's. The HDR picture shows much better detail of the walls and outside the window, but it does weird things to the man moving at the top of the stairs.

IMG_1050 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
    IMG_1051 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 11:32:35 (permalink)
    Gotcha on the HDR. I guess the picture of the sky...which is remarkable...was when bus was still. I was puzzled how HDR would have assembled such a crisp shot from a moving vehicle. It really is neat technology.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 481
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 11:39:22 (permalink)
    We were so disappointed to miss this year's event (family obligations superceded). Really enjoying so far, and Ralph - KUDOs to you for have the bull's ba....s to get on that thing. Looking forward to more pics and stories!
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 13:11:54 (permalink)
    I think the picture of the sky is one of the cases where I preferred the non-HDR shot. Another diptych, HDR on bottom:
    IMG_1102 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr IMG_1103 by Ralph Melton, on Flickr
    The HDR does bring out some details better (under the overpass, for example), but I think it loses some of the intense blue of the sky.

I feel fairly sure I took that picture from a moving bus, though, so I'm quite impressed that the HDR-making software didn't introduce any blur into the lower picture.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 13:33:27 (permalink)
    Hey, where is the video of your bull ride?

The video is at http://www.facebook.com/v....php?v=154788567882700 . I haven't figured out how to embed it in a forum post.
    mimicooks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/24 13:44:51 (permalink)
    Pixel Farmer, I grew up in Aberdeen. Seems there aren't many folks from that part of Mississippi on this site. Glad to see you.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/26 00:12:13 (permalink)
    Saturday involved an early start: a dozen of us gathered at 6 am to go to the Frontier Restaurant for breakfast.

The Frontier is famous for their sweet rolls, but some of the experienced diners with me weren't enthusiastic. I quite liked the few bites I had of others' sweet rolls, but I could imagine that they could quickly become cloying; they were very soft, similar to a Cinnabon cinnamon roll with much less cinnamon and frosting. They're nice as a bite between bites of other food - but I'd consider them too large to eat with another plate of food by myself. I suspect that the best way to enjoy them is to split one with three other people each with a plate of substantial food.

Michael's breakfast combo: sausage, hash browns, eggs, tortilla.

My huevos rancheros. I ordered the "Lite" one-egg version, which may make the use of the plural name slightly inaccurate. Even with the smaller portion, this would have been plenty for me to begin a normal day's eating. Each bite was full of multiple flavors.

From there, someone suggested that we head to the Flying Star Cafe for pie. It's probably an exaggeration to imply that going thirteen hours without pie was driving these men to desperation. If they had made another stop after the State Fair, it might also be an exaggeration to imply that they had gone thirteen hours without pie. 
    I liked the Flying Star Cafe quite a bit, because it had the decor I'd associate with a cheerful coffee shop, but had a full menu, including pie. If it were conveniently located, I could imagine visiting often.

Pie pie pie pie. The ones I remember were the very rich Rio Grande Mud Pie (lower right) and the cherry pie (upper right). Everything I tried was very good.

Carolann branched out away from pie with the bread pudding with brandy sauce. I prefer brandy sauce to have a slightly sharper flavor, but this was rich and tasty.

I recall that there was another customer near our tables who was very impressed with all the pie-sharing and photography we were doing. We invited him to grab a fork and join our eating, but he declined.

Across the street from the Flying Star Cafe was a movie theater advertising showings of Duck Soup and The Garbage Pail Kids Movie. I'd like to think that one of these is much more of a classic than the other.

We left the Flying Star Cafe and started back towards the hotel. As we drove along Central, the Aztec Motel caught our eye strongly enough to demand a U-turn and a stop for pictures. It wasn't clear whether it was still open. Carolann considered the idea of buying it and reopening it - that would be quite a souvenir of the trip.

We learned later that the decor was done in the 1990s, so it's not quite a Route 66 classic. But it's still a place worth stopping and gawking.

Every time I look at this picture of a tree behind the motel, Jonathan Coulton's song "Creepy Doll" starts playing in my head.

About 8am, we passed Jerky by Art, which we'd noticed on the ride to the State Fair. We pulled in to the lot, but saw that the door said that they opened at 9am. However, Teresa noticed a man walking towards the store, hopped out of the car, and asked if he would sell us jerky. He turned out to be Art, and he was indeed willing to sell us jerky before the posted time.

Entering the store is one of my great olfactory memories of the trip. It had a tremendous aroma of seasoned meat.

He sold about two dozen varieties of carne seca-style jerky. I bought a quarter pound of the green chile jerky, which I have been reveling in every day since I returned. Teresa bought a supply of the green chile with limon jerky to share with the bus, and I thought that was even tastier. This picture shows Art and his wife, whose name I didn't catch.

Next: we actually join the official tour for Saturday.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/26 14:44:39 (permalink)
    You gotta love a jerky artiste.  :)
    icecreamchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/26 23:32:15 (permalink)
    I should have taken video of myself watching the bull riding video. LOL too funny -- and look what happens when I stay home! 

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/27 02:17:25 (permalink)
    gr8 report, Ralph!
    Wish  I could've been on the New Mexico tour !
    love your pic of the view from the bus...the cool clouds, with the desert backdrop!!
    Pixel Farmer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/27 14:58:41 (permalink)
    Small world, mimicooks! I lived on Franklin St. myself from '68-'70. Aberdeen's still there, but fallen on very hard times, as I'm sure you've heard. An overhyped smidge of antebellum charm doesn't go as far as it used to.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/27 23:24:20 (permalink)
    The bus headed off to San Antonio, an hour and change to the south. To offset the risk of starvation, ChiTownDiner passed around freshly-baked empanadas from Golden Crown Panaderia. (I didn't manage to get a good picture.) I sampled both the sweet potato and the cherry empanadas, and both were outstanding. These empanadas resolved me to visit Golden Crown Panaderia myself.

Our first stop in San Antonio was Buckhorn Tavern, which is proud of being selected as the #7 cheeseburger on some top ten list. (GQ, I think.) They have a limited space and are a popular stop, but they didn't open specially for us, so we were relying on being there right as they opened at 11 to get a spot.

As we waited, Michael Stern lifted his nose at the aroma of chile peppers roasting at a nearby farm stand. The folks at the farm stand (Sichler Farms Produce) were extremely friendly and welcoming; I quite enjoyed seeing the chile roaster and all the chile products they had.

I would have bought a small bag of chiles as a souvenir, but this was as small as they had. I bought a cookbook instead, because I wanted it to be profitable to them to be so friendly.

I bought a bottle of Carrizozo cherry cider at the gas station. I've concluded that cider is best drunk in fairly small quantities. At first, I love how tart and lively it is - it's much more tart than apple cider or other cherry ciders I've tried. But after eight ounces or so, the tartness starts to taste artificial - the more so after I read "citric acid" on the ingredient list. But those first few swallows - man, that's good.

Our table ordered a green chile cheeseburger split four ways and a red chile hot dog. This photo is not actually our table, but the table next to us, who ordered much the same thing.

The chiles on this burger were raw and spicier, which made them stand out much more in taste and texture than any of the other green chile cheeseburgers I ate on this trip. I did not care for that myself, but other folks at the table considered this their favorite green chile cheeseburger for exactly this reason that I considered it my least favorite.

I actually liked the red chile hot dog much more; it used a nacho cheese instead of the American cheese on the burger, and that cheese engaged the hot dog and chile sauce very nicely.

From there to the Owl Bar, where we were assigned to an unphotogenic room in the back.

The green chile cheeseburger here had a very thin patty like the Buckhorn's. I was impressed that with such a thin patty, they still got pink in the middle of our medium rare burger. This burger was extremely juicy and messy - probably the messiest of the burgers I sampled.

I'm not sure I sampled the green chile fries at either the Buckhorn or the Owl Bar, but the Owl Bar's have a whole lot of green chile compared to the Buckhorn's above.

As a freebie, the waitress brought out a sampler of beans. They were good beans, with a whole lot of green chiles.

Another couple of hours driving took us down to the Chile Institute at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces. There, we met Paul Bosland, head of the Chile Institute and discoverer of the bhut jolokia, the world's hottest known pepper. (It's about three times hotter than a habanero, at over one million Scoville units.)
    My favorite part of the indoor talk was probably the pamphlet on how to taste a chile pepper.

I hope that someone can contribute a photo of ChiTownDiner in the bright yellow chile bowling shirt he bought. As he said, "you can wear this with confidence that no one else will be wearing the same thing."

Paul took us out to the chile gardens, which ended up being pretty interesting. (These are demo gardens, not gardens for seed. We were told the seed gardens have big curtains between rows to prevent bees from flying between varieties.)

This is a variety of chiltepin, the wild ancestor of chiles. It's a lot smaller; humans have bred chiles for much larger fruits.

This is one of several decorative chiles Paul showed us, suitable for planting in a garden.

This one was bred as a chile one might grow in a pot. According to Paul, in the early half of the twentieth century, the usual plant given as a gift was a chile. Poinsettias have now usurped that role as gift plants for Christmas, but Paul is breeding chiles with color schemes suitable for every other holiday (orange and green for St. Patrick's Day, for example).

Another decorative chile, which I find extremely attractive.

This chile earned Paul an Ig Nobel Prize: it's a heatless jalapeno. What's the use of a heatless jalapeno? Well, consider a salsa producer who is trying to produce a salsa with a consistent level of heat, but whose jalapeno crop has come in extra-hot this year. This heatless jalapeno allows that producer to dilute the heat of the jalapenos, but have the whole batch taste like jalapenos instead of, say, bell peppers.

This is an Aji pepper, from South America. It has a somewhat citrusy aroma. Mexican food practitioners apparently feel the taste is wrong for Mexican food, but Paul has hopes that this will catch on in the US.

This plant is the answer to the question "why is an eggplant called an eggplant?" This is a wild eggplant, the ancestor of varieties that have been bred to be large and purple.

In this picture, Paul is holding the bhut jolokia, the world's hottest chile. Unfortunately, I failed to take a picture of the moment a few minutes later in which Paul demonstrated his confidence that all the capsaicinoids are in the seeds and membranes by holding the bhut jolokia up to his eye.
    Paul had said that he couldn't invite us to pick any of the chiles, for reasons of legal liability. However, he made it clear that he wouldn't take offense if we were to pick any of them. Chris Ayers did pick one of the bhut jolokias. I expressed hesitant willingness to sample a small amount, but he eventually decided to send it to Mariton, who has demonstrated a remarkable affinity for spicy food. I hope to hear reports of her jolokia experience.

A bad picture of a heatless habanero. I asked Paul if he was working on a heatless jolokia - he said no.

Next: La Posta de Mesilla

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:New Mexico Roadfood Tour 2010/09/27 23:53:44 (permalink)
    Marvelous photos. The food looks wonderful and I wish i could have spent the time with the chile expert that you did. thank you for sharing, Ralph.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1