Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New Nashville Hot Chicken

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 57 of 57
caver

• Total Posts: 104
RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Sun, 08/26/07 7:51 PM (permalink)
Has anyone experimented with their own hot chicken?

When Boos was still open, you could buy just the spice mix they used by itself. I would keep it at home and apply it Lee's or other chicken after it was heated up. I found if you applied it before it acquired a bit of a burned flavor.

Straight up cayenne seems to be a bit much, but I got some chili powder at the IndoPak grocery that is a bit sweeter though still very spicy. This seems to work pretty well as a substitute to quell the cravings.

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
    RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 6:57 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by caver

My chicken did look like the photos above when I was there. Although I would say that Prince's is probably still the better one, Scoreboard still had some fine hot chicken.

Sorry to hear about that, I wonder if their chicken person quit or something?

That's interesting caver. I don't know what happened then to mine but, as you'll see by the picture (will post it later today), my chicken didn't look anything like the above.

I'd like to get a good recipe/process for doing this at home - I'm hoping mlinkenhoker will post a good one but I'd be interested in hearing yours also.

RibRater

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 11:48 AM (permalink)

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
        RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 1:12 PM (permalink)
        Hello everyone!

Can anyone make an educated guess as to the ingredients and methods used for Nashville style hot chicken? I'd love to try it at home, seeing as we don't have it here in south Louisiana.

Thanks

Sundancer7

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 2:01 PM (permalink)
          Larry, maybe it is just the pics but it looks a little overdone to me.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

RibRater

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 6:04 PM (permalink)
            Paul, it was a dark brown but the meat inside was fine. The coating was very thick though and I can imagine that, overall, it probably spent a little to much time in a vat that was turned a little to high.

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
              RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 10:26 PM (permalink)
              That looks pretty awful. I miss Mr. Boo's too. It was my favorite hot chicken. I'd love to have some of their chicken. Every place uses a different recipe, but the common thread seems to be frying the chicken in an iron skillet.

caver

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 10:49 PM (permalink)
                Boos actually used a pressure cooker, although they did cut their chicken up fresh each morning.

They also said they used wild peppers that grew on their land down in LA. They would process the whole plant also (leaves, stems, everything), not just the pods and dry and age it. They also had damiana in their spice mix. I think that accounted for the bulk of it, but I'm sure there were dashes of other things.

I've contemplated this for a while (and tried some other variations), and this is the direction I'm headed:
                Indian chili powder
                Damiana powder
                Ground Savory
                Ground Oregano
                Brown sugar (v. small amount ground fine)
                Paprika

The proportions would need to be tweaked I'm sure, but I think this would yield something pretty close to what they served. The key is to take the chicken directly out of the fryer and thoroughly coat with the spice mixture so it adheres well.

If you can still see the chicken you didn't put enough on.

caver

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 08/27/07 10:55 PM (permalink)
                  And yes Larry, that chicken right there looks kinda nasty.
                  alright, now I'm really craving some hot chicken.

Dixie Rowe

• Total Posts: 4
                    RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Tue, 11/27/07 1:14 PM (permalink)
                    Hi, This is Dixie of Dixie's Hotttt Chicken. I had to take off some time to take care of my mother and husband... But keep you eyes, ears and nose open.... I'll be back.... Not as larger place as I had in Donelson but big enought to get my great Hotttt Chicken to my friends... I still fix it at home and it is GREAT... See you later, Dixie Rowe
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by caver

Has anyone experimented with their own hot chicken?

When Boos was still open, you could buy just the spice mix they used by itself. I would keep it at home and apply it Lee's or other chicken after it was heated up. I found if you applied it before it acquired a bit of a burned flavor.

Straight up cayenne seems to be a bit much, but I got some chili powder at the IndoPak grocery that is a bit sweeter though still very spicy. This seems to work pretty well as a substitute to quell the cravings.

Dixie Rowe

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Tue, 11/27/07 1:18 PM (permalink)
                      Hi, This is Dixie of Dixie's Hotttt Chicken... Had to take off some time for to take care of my 84 year old mother and my husband....My hands are tied up right now... but I Will Be Back... Just keep your eyes, ears and nose open for some of my Great " Dixie's Hotttt Chicken." I still fix it at home .

Rando

• Total Posts: 117
                        RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Sun, 12/2/07 12:45 PM (permalink)
                        does anybody have a recipe for this Hot Chicken? Can't find one anywhere?

Dixie Rowe

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Sun, 12/9/07 1:47 PM (permalink)
                          It took us 30 plus years to make our product on Dixie's Hotttt Chicken.
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Rando

Rando

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 3:17 PM (permalink)
                            I just want to get an idea of what the spices are so I can try to re-create my own. I'm not flying to Nashville just to try this stuff!

I figure there's lots of hot spices on it, like cayenne, but I've also heard brown sugar and other stuff. I'm just curious, is all. I don't need any secrets, just a general idea.

so if I get some fried chicken and sprinkle some cayenne, chili powder,paprika, and brown sugar on it, am I close?

Kinda frustrating hearing all this about it and having no idea how to make it.

quote:
                            Originally posted by Dixie Rowe

quote:

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 3:54 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

I'm not flying to Nashville just to try this stuff!

Well, why not?

Maybe you should...

I would!

Rando

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 4:04 PM (permalink)
                                no money, no time!

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                  RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 5:14 PM (permalink)
                                  Come on down, WJ. I'll take you to Dixie's when she gets up and running again.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 5:47 PM (permalink)
                                    Hey PP
                                    Think she will be up and running by mid-february? We will be looking for lunch as we chase you south to Mobile. It's either that chicken...or the Hen-Pecker Market out in Franklin!!!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Wed, 12/12/07 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Come on down, WJ. I'll take you to Dixie's when she gets up and running again.

PP

I checked to see if Nashville could be a potential day trip from Charlotte NC since I'll be there for a few days in February before heading down to Mobile- it's more than a 6 hour drive!

thefoodguy

• Total Posts: 44
                                        RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Thu, 12/13/07 11:31 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by pepperhead

The management at the Scoreboard provided me with a few pics of their hot-chicken. I hope it is OK for me to post them. BTW, they also have some fine ribs!

oh heck yes!!!!!

Sundancer7

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Thu, 12/13/07 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                          I do not think that the recipe is top secret but I do not blame the person for not revealing what they do.

It cannot be a real big deal as it is highly spiced, hot and a nice crust.

I believe anyone who wants to invest in oil, chicken, spices and etc can do it.

It is much easier to go where they do it and buy it. No waste of oil, time and effort.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                            RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Thu, 12/13/07 7:34 PM (permalink)
                                            It's quite a detour from Charlotte, but perhaps you could drive up I-65 on your way home?
                                            I had lunch today at East Side Fish. Does life get any better than this?

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Thu, 12/13/07 7:40 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Poverty Pete

It's quite a detour from Charlotte, but perhaps you could drive up I-65 on your way home?

Unfortunately that won't work out- I'm gonna be riding with The Travelin' Man. From Mobile we'll be heading back to Orlando and I'm flying home from there.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                                • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Fri, 12/14/07 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

I'm not flying to Nashville just to try this stuff!

Well, why not?

Maybe you should...

I would!

I would , too! Why not??!
                                                (it's not like I have'nt done it already, anyway... memories of flying down for the Nashville roadfood bus tour in April are resurfacing. ) Hot chicken gets me excited!!

Dixie Rowe

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Sat, 12/22/07 9:45 AM (permalink)
                                                  I will sell our secret for Hotttt Chicken for $20000. The Mayor ate at our place at least 2 times a week... Nobody can beat our Dixie's Hotttt Chicken.... You are not even luke warn on your spices...
                                                  quote:

I just want to get an idea of what the spices are so I can try to re-create my own. I'm not flying to Nashville just to try this stuff!

I figure there's lots of hot spices on it, like cayenne, but I've also heard brown sugar and other stuff. I'm just curious, is all. I don't need any secrets, just a general idea.

so if I get some fried chicken and sprinkle some cayenne, chili powder,paprika, and brown sugar on it, am I close?

Kinda frustrating hearing all this about it and having no idea how to make it.

quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Dixie Rowe

quote:

Rando

RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 12/24/07 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    Dixie, I am sure your chicken is delicious and impossible to duplicate. I found a recipe on the LTHForum sit from Chicago that claims to have reverse-engineered something close to the prince's recipe. it calls for (among other things)salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, habanero, and jalapeno powders, as well as chilis in the oil and turbinado sugar sprinkled on the fried chicken along with the rub containing the powders. I guess it's gonna take some experimentation to get the amounts right. It ain't rocket science, it's just hot chicken. maybe one day I will be able to sample the real thing for myself but until then I guess I'll just experiment with my own.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: New Nashville Hot Chicken Mon, 12/24/07 1:43 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by ellen4641
                                                      Hot chicken gets me excited!!

Ellen, some folks on here might take that the wrong way!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 57 of 57

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com