New Orleans

Author
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 432
2004/01/10 20:08:28 (permalink)

New Orleans

I'm going to be spending 3 or 4 days in "The Big Easy" beginning a week from today (today being Jan 10th). I will not have access to a car. I will be staying in a downtown hotel. Anyone out there have any roadfood-type suggestions for me? By the way, I'm NOT a fish eater!

Cheers

Wally

14 Replies Related Threads

EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/11 05:49:59 (permalink)
    "Downtown"? Do you mean the French Quarter or the Business District? Near the convention center?

Are you avoiding all seafood or just fish? If you have allergies, be careful, because shellfish may lurk in many dishes. Alligator might be something to try if you're adventurous...not fishy at all.

As long as you are near St Charles, Canal, or the river, there are streetcars, and taxis are cheap and plentiful. I never rent a car when I head down there. You'll have no trouble getting around.

Even though Emeril's is "trendy", it has outstanding food. I suggest the pork chops ($$$). Mother's ($) and many other places have roast beef po' boys that are wonderful. Central Grocery ($) in the Quarter for muffalatas. Biegnet at Cafe du Monde ($). Fried chicken at Dooky Chase's ($$)(a little further from The business district, but damn good chicken...take a cab). Believe it or not, the Riverwalk Mall has outstanding food and is close to the convention center. Mike Anderson's booth at Riverwalk ($) has the best red beans and rice (in my opinion). Another place there has little fried meat pies. Weekend brunch at Commander's Palace for eggs sardou, filet mignon, and Bananas Foster ($$$) It will be the best money you ever spent on brunch...about 32 bucks for heaven.

Now, if you haven't already, click on SEARCH in the upper right hand corner of the screen and check out lots of previous posts. Then check out the Stern's reviews from the "home page" by selecting "LA", lots of good stuff! Have a blast!
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 09:36:04 (permalink)
    I recommend the Acme Oyster House, Mike Anderson's or Deanie's. They are all located near the corner of Iberville and Bourbon.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 11:04:38 (permalink)
    Get on the streetcar out St. Charles Ave. to the Riverbend district, where the car makes a 90degree right turn onto Carrolton Ave. Get off. Walk across the street to the Camellia Grill for a terrific omelet, burger and chocolate freeze.

You'll see the Garden District as you go and will be well rewarded. This place is a must.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 11:48:22 (permalink)
    Which hotel are you in? there will be great eating within 2 blocks anywhere you are in New Orleans.

"Uglesich's" is one place that you should absolutely try if you are free for lunch any week day (that is the only time it is open). The places highlighted on the "Roadfood Insider" are the very ones I would recommend in New Orleans, except that I would add "Mandina's", "The Palace Cafe" (on Canal), "Camelia Grill", "Acme Oyster Bar" and the "Gumbo Shop".
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 11:57:37 (permalink)
    MOTHER'S!!! Get the "John G. with Debris" or the soft shelled crab po'boy or the oyster po'boy. Oh boy, I'm getting hungry now! And I've eaten in all the above places and all are excellent. Is there such a thing as a bad meal in NOLA? I've had bad service but never bad food!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 13:09:16 (permalink)
    I can't imagine going to NO when you don't like seafood....it is to die for there! Yes, get out on the street cars, the St. Charles Street line goes by a number of good places to eat, including Emeril's Delmonico. It's also a great way to see the neat homes in the Garden District.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 14:55:25 (permalink)
    Take the St Charles Streetcar to the end of the line in Riverbend and get yourself to Jacques Imo. Lots of great things and a non-stop party. Anything fried is out of this world (fantastic fried chicken - could be best in N.O.). There is a jazz joint next door (Maple something or other) so you can pack in a little culture also. One caveat, Jacques Imo don't take reservations and the wait can be horrendous but hey, you're having fun anyway. Have a turbo dog and go with the flow.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 22:15:54 (permalink)
    any chance i could go with you?? haha just kidding-- that's my FAVORITE city (that i've ever been to anyway- fantasy trips don't count) i would KILL to go back there.. just for the food... ( the hurricanes weren't too bad either!! afterall - you need something to wash that good cajun/creole cooking down with-- hurricanes or dixie beer!!)
    food-- the alligator is good.. don't know what else to recommend since you are not a seafood fan.. that's a tough place to go and not eat seafood-- with it all being so fresh and all... oysters.......... shrimp..... shrimp....oysters.....alligator.... oysters..... shrimp.. guess that would be my ultimate fantasy vacation-- new orleans with unlimited shrimp and oysters!!!!! hmmmm sorry-- didn't mean to ramble :)
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 22:25:53 (permalink)
    The one place that was on my list that I missed on my trip to New Orleans -- because I was busy hording seafood -- was a burger at Port of Call. Also, order their version of the hurricane -- my notes say better than the touristy Pat O'Briens.

Steve
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/12 22:48:29 (permalink)
    wallhd,
    A not-to-be-missed place in New Orleans is The Hummingbird Restaurant, located on the ground floor of the loveably seedy hotel of the same name on St. Charles Avenue. The place is always open, and has some of the best cheap breakfasts and lunch specials in the city. It is much safer and more dependable than it looks at first glance.
    Try The Tally-Ho Coffee Shop in the French Quarter. I've never been there, but I've been told about it.
    There's another place in the Quarter that has <<pain perdu>> - a sort of Creole French toast that is reputed to be sooooo gooood that you'll never want the regular kind again.
    I've only been by The Big Easy once, but I ate very well indeed. If I think of something else, I'll toss it in tomorrow night.
    Let us know what you discover.
    Crescendantly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Which Is Only 512 Miles Away.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/13 00:01:57 (permalink)
    I'm going to be spending a few days in NO this spring sometime. Is Mosca's still open? Is it as good as it was 20 years ago?
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/13 02:58:56 (permalink)
    Pete, Yes 20 - 30 years ago Moscas was legendary. I always wanted to get there to have the kind of meal that Jane and Michael described in the first edition of Roadfood. But I've never made it, and alas, have read comments recently that it is not the same positive experience it once was. Just going thru the motions now and not the same "wow" to the food. I'll try to track down the source for these comments. YOu should probably still go. I mean how bad could it really be. Oh I think one of the new negatives is that the prices are pretty much of a rip off too. But if it's a place that you've heard about for years, you have to go just to see for yourself.
    Rayme
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/13 13:52:33 (permalink)
    Hurricanes are vile; the N.O. equivalent of the Long Island iced tea. The true N.O. cocktail is the Sazerac made with Peychaud's bitters, rye, sugar, and Herbsaint anisette liquore (Herbsaint is the name of a good restaurant but too fancy to be really roadfood style). Go to the Sazerac bar in the Fairmont and have a Sazerac (great classic bar). If you are there on Monday then a good non-seafood choice is red beans and rice; Mandina's makes a good version. You can get it on other days but it is traditional to order it on Monday since that was washing day when the dinner had to be low-maintenance.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    RE: New Orleans 2004/01/13 14:01:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Get on the streetcar out St. Charles Ave. to the Riverbend district, where the car makes a 90degree right turn onto Carrolton Ave. Get off. Walk across the street to the Camellia Grill for a terrific omelet, burger and chocolate freeze.

You'll see the Garden District as you go and will be well rewarded. This place is a must.

There was a recent report on another board that Camellia Grill had filed for Chapter 7. I don't know if it's in operation or not. A sad day if it has indeed come to the end of its road. Otherwise, I highly recommend Liuzza's By the Track. Have a great Reuben or po'boy and then walk over to the Fairgrounds to play the ponies.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1