New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops

Author
uvcatastrophe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/03/30 21:25:56 (permalink)

New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops

I'm about to take a nice long drive up I-10 from New Orleans to Austin, with a stopover at a friend's place in Humble (northern Houston) for the night. Can anyone recommend a good place to stop on the way?

I'm open to any ideas, excepting :

- Texas bar-b-que. I grew up in Tulsa. I learned about bar-b-que in Tulsa. I learned to hate Texas in Tulsa (and Norman, Oklahoma). Regardless of how ineffably wondrous that the stuff actually is, Texas bar-b-que must remain nothing short than an unmitigated travesty and a near-violation of the Geneva Convention if I am to retain any hometown pride.

- Louie's Cafe in Baton Rouge. I'm already dropping by here for coffee. As I've explained elsewhere, the waitstaff there appears to be entirely made of that perky punky pierce'n'tattoo girl archetype that just makes my mind ache.

I am hoping to hear of a good place in either Lake Charles or Lafayette. Also, if you can recommend a joint in Austin, that would help. Outside of places listed in Roadfood, I've heard of a coffeeshop near campus called the Spider House... any other ideas?

12 Replies Related Threads

eze311
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/03/31 10:13:24 (permalink)
    Cotten's Famous Hamburgers, French Fries, Onion Rings 110 Broad St.
    Lake Charles phone: 337-436-9115

Chuy's in Austin, good Tex-Mex, Barton Springs
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/03/31 11:44:54 (permalink)
    A couple of years ago I stayed in Lake Charles for the night and ate at a Cajun place to the east in Iowa, LA. It's called Emery's, just off I-10 on the south side. The building is misleading; although it looks like "Sirloin Stockade", it was just about the best Cajun food I've ever had.

In Austin, try Guero's on south Congress.
    mudbug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/03/31 17:09:18 (permalink)
    You could try Hawk's in Rayne (20 min. west of Lafayette)for killer crawfish.Take Exit 87 North.Go 50 yds. and take a left on Rte. 98.Follow the turns for 7.8 miles.Go right on Parish Road 2-7.Dirt road for .8 miles and in the woods on the left is Hawk's,home of the largest and best tasting crawfish in all of cajun country.Open Wed.thru Sat.(318) 788-3266.Enjoy.
    uvcatastrophe
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/04/01 06:44:15 (permalink)
    Sorry, mudbug - crawfish is strictly party food for me. I've only ever sucked heads with large groups of friends and as I'll be travelling alone, I don't think it would be good.

However, I could bring some boudin from the area as a gift. Do you know of any place? I've heard good things about Hackett's Cajun Kitchen in Lake Charles (http://www.hackettscajunkitchen.com) - a poster on another board claimed that they had perfect andouille - any other ideas?
    janiejaneo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/05/12 16:34:57 (permalink)
    Try Top Notch on North Burnet Road in Austin for great burgers, fried chicken, and onion rings. Family run since 1971. And featured in Richard Linkletter's film Dazed & Confused.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/05/12 16:44:44 (permalink)
    Schulenburg has a great Czech Bakery and several cafe's with Czech chow on the menu. Between Houston and San Antonio just South of the 10. Also Shiner,TX a little further off the freeway, but offers a great tour of the brewing process and 3 free beers after the walk around. Worth the side-trip. Thanks Bushie, for the tip!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/06/09 15:13:53 (permalink)
    RESTAURANT UPDATE:

The place called Emery's (in Iowa, Louisiana) that I recommended above is now a concrete slab. The gas station across the road said it got hit by a tornado.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/06/09 18:57:54 (permalink)
    If you are departing New Orleans on this trip, you'll probably hitting Baton Rouge way too early to stop for dinner, and after a stay in New Orleans you may not be interested in more seafood, but if you were to be in Baton Rouge some evening, I'd surely recommed Drucilla's for great seafood of all sorts.
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/06/24 00:55:07 (permalink)
    Dissing Texas barbecue... that's just wrong!

Granted, Texas barbecue gets rid of the brisket (totally useless unless smoked) and mesquite (a weed all over texas). I think it's some sort of manly challenge to see who can turn a totally inedible piece of meat into "quality" grub.

But man it tastes good!
    kleine
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/06/25 11:50:46 (permalink)
    Lagneaux's in Lafayette is wonderful. In Baton Rouge, check out Fleur de Lis pizza restaurant on Government St. or Atcha Bakery and Cafe on Nicholson, close to LSU campus.
    quote:
    Originally posted by uvcatastrophe

I'm about to take a nice long drive up I-10 from New Orleans to Austin, with a stopover at a friend's place in Humble (northern Houston) for the night. Can anyone recommend a good place to stop on the way?

I'm open to any ideas, excepting :

- Texas bar-b-que. I grew up in Tulsa. I learned about bar-b-que in Tulsa. I learned to hate Texas in Tulsa (and Norman, Oklahoma). Regardless of how ineffably wondrous that the stuff actually is, Texas bar-b-que must remain nothing short than an unmitigated travesty and a near-violation of the Geneva Convention if I am to retain any hometown pride.

- Louie's Cafe in Baton Rouge. I'm already dropping by here for coffee. As I've explained elsewhere, the waitstaff there appears to be entirely made of that perky punky pierce'n'tattoo girl archetype that just makes my mind ache.

I am hoping to hear of a good place in either Lake Charles or Lafayette. Also, if you can recommend a joint in Austin, that would help. Outside of places listed in Roadfood, I've heard of a coffeeshop near campus called the Spider House... any other ideas?
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/06/28 16:41:39 (permalink)
    Here in Austin, my favorite burger in at Dirty's Cum Back Inn. It is on Guadalupe (near UT campus) at around 29th street.

Comment on your trip. Prior to the late eighties recession there were scores of roadfood type restaurants on US 90 in Texas between Beaumont and Houston. When I did a roadtrip there while still a New York resident in 1989, I was disappointed and could not find a single GOOD restaurant.

I have not done the drive since then, so maybe it is better. Try US 90 from Beaumont to Houston and let us know if there is life outside of the franchises on US 90.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops 2003/07/06 13:01:14 (permalink)
    For the sausage...Stop in Breaux Bridge and go to both of these places. Richards Grocery. Great boudin and really good sausage.
    Poches Market. THey only make Sausage and they are really good at it. Also, if you go to nola.com and hit the Times Picayune web site they had a great article in April about sausage making and makers in South Louisiana. There are also some great photographs of the processes and people involved.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1