New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch

Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
2011/06/14 12:59:26 (permalink)

New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch

I'm visiting with a friend. Last night about 6 PM he got a jones for Pizza Hut. And he was buying. He looks at this preprint that either came in his mail or his newspaper somewhere between May 31 and June 3. On the preprint are six coupons, each with an expiration date of 6/30/11. There are also three "Daily Specials" listed, for Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. The deal for Mondays reads 2 medium 3 topping pizzas for $6 each. The ad also gives a list of stores in the area. So, we drive to a nearby store, taking the ad with us. The ESL clerk tells us they don't offer that deal anymore; they disco'd it two months ago. We showed him the expiration dates on the coupons. He offers to check in the computer. Nope, deal no good anymore. So, thinking this guy is uninformed, we go to another PH equi-distant to my friend's house. We show the ad to the clerk and ask for the deal. Clerk can't find it in the computer, so he calls a lady out from the back. She tells us they changed the prices three days ago. She offers us another 2 medium pizza deal using a coupon on the ad for more money. Underneath the three panels for the daily specials is some incredibly small type that reads, in part, "Crust availability, prices, participation, delivery areas and charges, and minimum purchase requiements for delivery may vary". So, we calculate the "Daily Special" was good on one and only one day: June 6, 2011.

Since the addresses of both stores were listed in the ad and there is no expiration date for the daily specials, this can legitimately be called bait-and-switch. On the way to a local mom-and-pop pizzeria, we discussed the fact that the clerks seemed oblivious to the ad, even though it must have been plastered all over the immediate area. We couldn't believe they didn't get any phone calls or walk-ins earlier yesterday from people who wanted that offer. We wound up with two excellent Indy pizzas for slightly more than PH's regular prices.

I think we have discussed the fact that these industrial pizza chains have dug themselves a hole by couponing. To get the people addicted to couponing detoxified, they are resorting to bait-and-switch.

18 Replies Related Threads

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/14 13:45:03 (permalink)
    David_NYC

I'm visiting with a friend. Last night about 6 PM he got a jones for Pizza Hut. And he was buying. He looks at this preprint that either came in his mail or his newspaper somewhere between May 31 and June 3. On the preprint are six coupons, each with an expiration date of 6/30/11. There are also three "Daily Specials" listed, for Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. The deal for Mondays reads 2 medium 3 topping pizzas for $6 each. The ad also gives a list of stores in the area. So, we drive to a nearby store, taking the ad with us. The ESL clerk tells us they don't offer that deal anymore; they disco'd it two months ago. We showed him the expiration dates on the coupons. He offers to check in the computer. Nope, deal no good anymore. So, thinking this guy is uninformed, we go to another PH equi-distant to my friend's house. We show the ad to the clerk and ask for the deal. Clerk can't find it in the computer, so he calls a lady out from the back. She tells us they changed the prices three days ago. She offers us another 2 medium pizza deal using a coupon on the ad for more money. Underneath the three panels for the daily specials is some incredibly small type that reads, in part, "Crust availability, prices, participation, delivery areas and charges, and minimum purchase requiements for delivery may vary". So, we calculate the "Daily Special" was good on one and only one day: June 6, 2011.

Since the addresses of both stores were listed in the ad and there is no expiration date for the daily specials, this can legitimately be called bait-and-switch. On the way to a local mom-and-pop pizzeria, we discussed the fact that the clerks seemed oblivious to the ad, even though it must have been plastered all over the immediate area. We couldn't believe they didn't get any phone calls or walk-ins earlier yesterday from people who wanted that offer. We wound up with two excellent Indy pizzas for slightly more than PH's regular prices.

I think we have discussed the fact that these industrial pizza chains have dug themselves a hole by couponing. To get the people addicted to couponing detoxified, they are resorting to bait-and-switch.

Why, oh why if you live in NYC, would you even consider to eat Pizza Gut? How does Pizza Gut even make money in NYC?

Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/14 15:36:28 (permalink)
    I thought you were going to say that the bait and switch involved them advertising the word "Pizza" in the name of their business.
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/14 15:40:56 (permalink)
    I'm not in NYC right now; I'm on the road. Pizza Hut does not make much money in NYC. At one time, the Riese Brothers opened two restaurants in Manhattan that offered a near-full menu, but they only lasted a few years. There are some multi-concept junk food heavens that offer the frozen bake-away PH personal size pizzas in Manhattan, however. In the other four boroughs of NYC, there are a total of 1-2 dozen (from memory; PH store locator down at the moment) Pizza Huts at least selling large pizzas. Compared with thousands of mom-and-pops, PH is a miniscule player in NYC.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1315
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/14 15:59:37 (permalink)
    Go here: http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus.html?WT.mc_id=070209Yeti_Contact_Us

Let them know what happened. Make sure you have the addresses of the places you went, and the dates and times would be handy, too. The addresses can be found easily enough in their store locator. Note that I have not had experience with Pizza Hut's complaints department, but I have had very good results with other chains.

Bart
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/14 22:46:59 (permalink)
    bartl

Go here: http://www.pizzahut.com/contactus.html?WT.mc_id=070209Yeti_Contact_Us

Let them know what happened. Make sure you have the addresses of the places you went, and the dates and times would be handy, too. The addresses can be found easily enough in their store locator. Note that I have not had experience with Pizza Hut's complaints department, but I have had very good results with other chains. 

Bart

I've found lately that complaining to major corps. falls on the deaf ears of some idiot in India who could care less about your complaint & forwards it to NOBODY.
    its cheaper for them to find new suckers than to keep existing ones happy.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/15 12:00:49 (permalink)
    sk bob

bartl

I've found lately that complaining to major corps. falls on the deaf ears of some idiot in India who could care less about your complaint & forwards it to NOBODY.
    its cheaper for them to find new suckers than to keep existing ones happy.

I had this experience just this week, ordered an item on May 31 to be delivered June 7. Didn't hear from them tried to call, no one could track. Got an email on June 13 that the item was no longer available so I called Customer Service, got the run around. Meanwhile I looked up their online catalog and saw that the item was available today for shipping but at over $200 more!I said this to the CS lady who said, "well do you want to reorder it" I said, "not at $200 more" I mysteriously got disconnected after that. No emails to supervisors have been returned yet. This is a major, International business.

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/15 12:44:19 (permalink)
    kland01s:
    Even if you won't mention the name of the company who gave you the shaft so that everyone else can be wary of them, I hope you plan to never order anything from them ever again!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/15 13:48:02 (permalink)
    This was the first time I ordered something from Sears of all places! It is somewhat of a hard to find item. 
    senor boogie woogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 03:08:15 (permalink)
    Pizza Hut is a total mystery to me. They have the worst pizza in the industry bar none. They've always had. Pizza Hut was bad in the 1970's! I know because my family never ate there.  But this company seems to go on and on and on, while much better chains like Shakey's have died out. I don't get it. I live in China and the pizza is the same (I call it Gut Bomb). People here love the place. It's the same exact garbage.

Going to Pizza Slut in New York City of all places is a head scratcher too. I like the TV show "The Office", where the inept boss, Michael Scott went to NYC for a meeting and with the camera on him, Michael talks about the best NYC Pizza and everytimes he come to the city, that's where he goes.

The camera pans to Sbarro (which is still a helluva lot better than Pizza Slut)
    WarmBeer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 10:53:41 (permalink)
    senor boogie woogie
    I like the TV show "The Office", where the inept boss, Michael Scott went to NYC for a meeting and with the camera on him, Michael talks about the best NYC Pizza and everytimes he come to the city, that's where he goes. 
    The camera pans to Sbarro (which is still a helluva lot better than Pizza Slut)

Interesting question:  with all the product placement in TV & Movies these days, wonder if PH pd a placement fee?  Pretty certain Sabarro's did.

Recommend you file a complaint here:
    nyc.gov/html/dca/html/contact/contact_form.shtml
    add your own www etc. Apparantly I am too young to post a URL.  
    ed
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 11:22:20 (permalink)
    WarmBeer

add your own www etc. Apparantly I am too young to post a URL.  

You have included this comment at the bottom of many of your posts since you signed on here.  At the bottom of each and every post you or any new member makes is a message explaining the spam control measures that are in place and unfortunately necessary these days to reduce the volume of spam that reaches the board. These include the fact you cannot post active links until you have been a member for 30 days. 

post edited by Tony Bad - 2011/06/16 14:50:41
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 13:10:46 (permalink)
    kland01s

This was the first time I ordered something from Sears of all places! It is somewhat of a hard to find item. 

It has been my opinion that ever since Sears and Kmart combined forces, things have gone downhill.  Example: some Craftsman tools no longer carry a lifetime warranty.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 14:02:28 (permalink)
    It seems in the last year that Customer Service is a dying thing in every industry.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3516
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/16 18:08:23 (permalink)
    6star

kland01s

It has been my opinion that ever since Sears and Kmart combined forces, things have gone downhill.  Example: some Craftsman tools no longer carry a lifetime warranty.

And some Craftsman tools are now made in China as well.
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/23 11:36:59 (permalink)
    kland01s

It seems in the last year that Customer Service is a dying thing in every industry.

Totally agree.  The facade had been removed and now it's basically "F-you, give us your money."
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/24 07:49:12 (permalink)
    Such is the peril of using coupons from chains.  There always seems to be a disclaimer about "participation may vary."
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6285
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/25 14:10:10 (permalink)
    Bait and switch.......with them, I'll switch and eat the bait!!!
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:New Pizza Hut Marketing Initiative: Bait-and-Switch 2011/06/25 17:31:50 (permalink)
    They should call it pizza hell instead of pizza hut.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1