Hot!New Poll re: Tipping

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4582
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 17:39:16 (permalink)
enginecapt

20 percenter here. If service was above and beyond the call of duty, I'll toss in commensurate extra bills, seldom less than fivers. I've never been a server, but I do know what a'holes some of the general public can be, so I try to distance myself from that crowd via my personal interaction with servers, as well as tipping.

I also tip at "fastraunts", which are the places where you order and pay at the counter and they bring you your food and coffee/drink refills.

I'm never sure what to do with those places, because they have the dreaded TIP JAR!
I don't like guilt.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 18:08:10 (permalink)
Bill, I have the same problem when sitting at a bar. But... the more I have to drink the wiser I get about the tip jar. Or???
Joe
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/24 22:33:37 (permalink)
PapaJoe8

Mosca, would I love to hear the answers you get to your "bad attitude" question? ... yes! Maybe you could start a thread? :~)
Joe

Naw, it only happened once. I usually try to show through my enthusiasm and body language that I'm going to be a good customer, and that almost always works. I tend to get good service by being direct and friendly. If I sense any attitude early, I stop it with a look over the glasses, followed by a smile.

The one time it happened, after the meal was over, I went to the guy and told him in front of other workers that I didn't like his attitude. Not loud, not nasty, just matter of fact. I'm a big guy, and also built big, tall with broad shoulders. I don't get messed with. He just looked at me and the color went out of his face like he got caught stealing, and pretended he didn't know what I was talking about, but his co-workers knew he was busted. I didn't wait around, it wasn't important to me to see any further resolution. I just wanted him to know that it was uncalled for. I left. I don't know what happened after that, I never went back. I haven't been there in probably 15 years.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 266
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 08:52:35 (permalink)
I admit I don’t tip a huge amount, usually £2-4 when it’s just a couple of us. When there’s a larger group of us we usually round up and the waiter/ress would get around £10-20 from us.   10% is pretty much the going rate here in the UK in restaurants, some places may add around 10% to the bill automatically, but tipping isn’t really as expected a practice here.  We don’t tend to tip in cafes, fast food, coffee shops and as for bars we tend to buy the bar staff a drink rather than giving them a tip. I do tend to tip a little more when in the States and Canada though.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 09:14:02 (permalink)
I am in the 20% club as well for standard service. As long as they are friendly and I feel like I get my meal in a timely manner and it is of the proper temp, ie that it hasn't been waiting for a while, I feel like it is a good amount.

I have tipped over 20% on a few occasions where I have felt like I have gotten really excellent service. The most recent that I can think of being in St. Louis a year ago at a restaurant, whose name is escaping me right now, where the server was excellent, fast, friendly and even took time out to have a few conversations with me.

When I had time to have a regular haunt during the week, just don't have the time right now with 3 grad school classes, I would tip anywhere from 20-30% depending on the day and the personal service I got that week. Just really depended on a lot of factors.

I can only remember 1 time where I have tipped below 15% and even at then I tipped 10%. I just don't think I have the heart in me to tip absolutely nothing. I have never had service bad enough to consider nothing at all and hope I never have to be approached with that situation.
RedJim64
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 09:30:35 (permalink)
Two of my five adult kids work in food service. ALL of my five kids worked restaurants at some point growing up. We tip 20%.

BTW...we hosted a wedding reception at a notable Detroit restaurant late last year. In paying the bill, the owner of the restaurant told us ALWAYS tip on the pre-tax amount, NEVER the total, tax included. That advice made us instant repeat customers. 
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 09:52:54 (permalink)
Mosca

I'm a big guy, and also built big, tall with broad shoulders. I don't get messed with. He just looked at me and the color went out of his face like he got caught stealing, and pretended he didn't know what I was talking about, but his co-workers knew he was busted.

"Kinda broad at the shoulder and wide at the hip
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big Tom."

Brad (with apologies to Jimmy Dean)
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 12:25:02 (permalink)
Here's something that's going on in Winston-Salem NC right now:

www.wfmz.com/money/22655961/detail.html

It should be mentioned that WXII-TV reporter Jermont Terry is a friend of Ms. Covington and a member of her church, which makes me question just how unbiased his reporting is in this matter. 
post edited by Carolina Bob, ex-nocarolina - 2010/02/25 12:39:38
BR
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 12:26:43 (permalink)
Mosca

BR

I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation.

Different person, different choice. It's not as if I'm taking your money for my tips, or asking you to do as I do. I don't get that you should even care.

Simply giving an opposing view. Do you only want to hear from those who agree with your views? I view a 15-20% tip for poor service as encouraging bad behavior. That said, I take into consideration how busy the restaurant is and don't expect great service if they are swamped. I do want reasonable service even if they are busy. I'm a very generous tipper when I feel the wait staff has gone out of their way for me. I've given $20.00 tips on meals that were under $30 bucks. Different situation... different result.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 14:35:39 (permalink)
BR

Mosca

BR

I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation.

Different person, different choice. It's not as if I'm taking your money for my tips, or asking you to do as I do. I don't get that you should even care.

Simply giving an opposing view. Do you only want to hear from those who agree with your views? I view a 15-20% tip for poor service as encouraging bad behavior. That said, I take into consideration how busy the restaurant is and don't expect great service if they are swamped. I do want reasonable service even if they are busy. I'm a very generous tipper when I feel the wait staff has gone out of their way for me. I've given $20.00 tips on meals that were under $30 bucks. Different situation... different result.

Giving an opposing view: "I don't tip that much when I get poor service. In fact, if the service is bad enough, I may not tip at all."

Insinuating that you are right and others are wrong: "I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation."

Learn the difference.
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/25 22:01:03 (permalink)
Mosca

BR

Mosca

BR

Giving an opposing view: "I don't tip that much when I get poor service. In fact, if the service is bad enough, I may not tip at all."

Insinuating that you are right and others are wrong: "I don't get you people that think you should tip 15-20% even if the service is pathetic. I nearly always tip 20%.... even if the service is just decent... but if it's pathetic or comes with an attitude I'm not above dropping pocket change to reflect my appreciation."

Learn the difference.

I didn't insinuate anyone being right or wrong.... just stating that I don't agree with those(whoever that may be)  that think a 15% tip is in order regardless of service rendered. If that's not you Mosca then don't take it personal. I've seen posts in the past whether on this site or others where people think the wait staff should always be tipped well regardless of circumstances. I simply think a tip should be earned and that's all I'm saying.  No need to cop an attitude.
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1354
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 13:25:52 (permalink)
It would ge nice if waitstaff were paid at least minimum wage so the tip could truly be an expression of gratitude for excellent service.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 14:10:40 (permalink)
BR

Mosca

BR

Mosca

BR

Learn the difference.

I didn't insinuate anyone being right or wrong.... just stating that I don't agree with those(whoever that may be)  that think a 15% tip is in order regardless of service rendered. If that's not you Mosca then don't take it personal. I've seen posts in the past whether on this site or others where people think the wait staff should always be tipped well regardless of circumstances. I simply think a tip should be earned and that's all I'm saying.  No need to cop an attitude.

Yeah, you're probably right. It just struck me the wrong way, at a time when I was prepared to take it the wrong way. Sorry.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3436
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 15:54:18 (permalink)
I get where you're coming from, Mosca.  In my world, the phrase "you people" ALWAYS has a negative connotation.  Probably just a matter of semantics.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3728
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 16:01:28 (permalink)
My experience has been that those who are the most generous are usually those who don't draw attention to their own practices.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 940
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 17:14:06 (permalink)
Neither do the misers.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3710
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 17:22:47 (permalink)
You are so correct!    The  bad tippers go through  great pains not to show how cheap they are!
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 17:58:08 (permalink)
felix4067

I get where you're coming from, Mosca.  In my world, the phrase "you people" ALWAYS has a negative connotation.  Probably just a matter of semantics.

Felix... I kind of agree with you so lets elaborate a bit. If you return to the very first post in this thread you will find the words "you people" in the first sentence. Then if you continue to read the next five posts, you might understand where I was coming from. I guess the "you people" to me, very loosely means people who are somehow connected with the restaurant business... and it seems to me that most of them have a strong PRO TIPPING opinion. There is nothing wrong with that as it's just an opinion. My view just differs on tipping.  I know... I shouldn't assume that lots of folks here are in the restaurant business but it seems that way to me. Now I've probably insulted a few more people but that is not my intention. I apologize if I've offended anyone with my strong  "you gotta earn it" opinion.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 18:50:47 (permalink)
I apologized for my inanity as well; it's over, as far as I'm concerned. On thing though; most folks here are passionate about food, but aside from the "restaurant professionals" section I don't think many are in the restaurant business.

The reason I tip regardless is that waitpeople get paid far below minimum wage. From today's Yahoo home page,

"Restaurant workers are part of a unique group, in that their minimum wage is $2.13 per hour. The low wage has been set since 1991, with the reasoning that tips will help bring workers up to, or above, minimum wage. So, tips for servers are not additional pay, they're how these workers makes a living! Assuming you've received adequate service, the standard tip for servers is 15%; outstanding service should be rewarded with a 20% tip. Contrary to popular belief, bad service is no excuse to completely skip the tip. Even when the level of service is poor, experts recommend leaving no less than 10%."

I'm not trying to claim a higher ground, The Travelin Man. Since hardly anyone here has ever met me, and most never will, there is nothing in it for me to say I tip well or tip poorly, other than the participation in a lively discussion. And should anyone ever meet me, they would then know whether I am a liar or a stand up guy. I'm not afraid of that meeting.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 21:03:32 (permalink)
I do not post as often as I "lurk" I told Carolina Bob about the issue down here in N.C.. She is known as a very poor tipper if any tip at all... I did wait tables as a young adult and have had the tip higher than the check. I do believe it was because of the fast and proper service. Look to the post "Bob" make about this person.. She has a "issue" with the Japanase Steak House.. as she calls her "fave place to dine" The waitstaff have to pay out a part of the tips they get to the Chef, as it is a bit of a show, and if she didn't like her food, The Chef would do it to her liking...The Bartenter, bus boy and Chef all get a part of her tip. She called the news and started a firestorm about it. She is a employeee of the church,, funny so many of the people that signed her grievance are her church members.. and I called for reservations and they are quite busy.. I think her plan back fired on her,, and I am glad!! I wish more owners would stand up for the staff.. Or pay a living wage.. I am sure I wil get flamed for this .. but I have had many fine meals there, and the service was great. I do think perhaps kids in High School should wait tables for a week.. as a reality check.. Hard work, but what you put into it really is what you get.. IMHO .. O.K. fire away
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 21:26:14 (permalink)
BR

felix4067

Felix... I kind of agree with you so lets elaborate a bit. If you return to the very first post in this thread you will find the words "you people" in the first sentence. Then if you continue to read the next five posts, you might understand where I was coming from. I guess the "you people" to me, very loosely means people who are somehow connected with the restaurant business... and it seems to me that most of them have a strong PRO TIPPING opinion. There is nothing wrong with that as it's just an opinion. My view just differs on tipping.  I know... I shouldn't assume that lots of folks here are in the restaurant business but it seems that way to me. Now I've probably insulted a few more people but that is not my intention. I apologize if I've offended anyone with my strong  "you gotta earn it" opinion.

I said: Who are you people that think 10% is standard.
Legit question. Did you want me to phrase it a different way?
Who are all these people?
These people - who are they?

I mean, really...semantics. Concentrate on the issue.
My question was who are you people..and I used YOU PEOPLE, meaning: The people that answered the poll on the front page of this website that they, as a standard rule, tip less than 15% and some 10%. Those are the YOU POEPLE I am referring to.

Is it negative? I guess so. That's why I asked. I don't like cheapskates, and I was wondering, "aloud", who these people were, and why they would think it's OK to tip so badly. It would've been nice to get an explanation, but I don't think that's gonna happen. What are they gonna say? "Yes, I leave ****ty tips because I'm cheap and don't think someone should get any more of MY money? They should feel lucky to get 10%!"

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 21:28:39 (permalink)
the tipping threads usually get heated.

Most people on this site believe so strongly in keeping roadfood alive and appreciate the work it takes, tip more than fairly.

I think the rub seems to ensue when people use the term "expectation" of a certain size tip. It almost sounds entitling, which can often get under people's skin.

My friend tips 15%  on bill pretax, where I'm 20% preetax. We always split the billl for lunch because the meals are so close in price (sometimes his is a buck more and sometimes mine is a buck more) and where we're so regular, our drinks arrive before we order anything. Well, he typically tips 15% of bill, rounded up to nearest 25cents, I tip 20%. So, with him, we've agreed to tip 15% on bill after taxes and round up 25cents. So, it's more like 18%.

They love us there. They even donated to a cause for me last year by donating a $50 gift certificate - for which they also got free advertising at the event. So it was win win, but I was appreciative of their donation.

Anyway. It seems a little cheap to me, but getting him up to 18% is a nice middle ground.

But, looking at the larger picture (and since someone notes about minimum wages) At this restaurant, Each waiter has 15 tables of two people at each table (its mexican, the food comes out quick) - it ends up 5.50 to 6.00 from us. We're there about 45 mins. They get two rotations (at least) for lunch. Assuming all tips are in this neighborhood, at 5.50 and 15 tables, that's 176.00. If his shift is 8 hours and he gets just two rotations out of dinner (averaging 4 rotations at each table) - that's another 176.00. For a total of 352. There's two waiters in the restaurant and a water/drink passer outer guy. (They do serve liquor, but no bartender. One of the two waitstaff makes the drink.) For the most part, the only drinks people are having at lunch, if they even have any alcohol - which you don't often see at lunch - are margaritas (whic are pre-done) or bottled beer. Let's say they have to each give him 30%. That's $31 dollars per hour, without the $2.13/hr. So, 33/hour times 40 hours/wk times 50 weeks is 66,000 per year. And that's basing it on our bill, which is modest since we never order alcohol or appetisers or desserts.

So, there's no minimum wage poor guy waiter stuff going on at my weekly haunt. I bet each guy makes more than that. This place it mobbed M-F - they probably have at least 3 of not 4 lunch rotations on a friday not to mention Happy Hour rotations (margaritas and small plates). Add it up - with just one more rotation on average per day, that adds 44000, so the head waiter is probably clearing 100K/yr.

jesus - I may go into waiting tables at this place! To bad I'm not family. (yeah, it's a family owned business).

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 23:31:56 (permalink)
Wabbit, my feelings on the Kanpai matter are the same as yours. You and I have both, in the past, paid our rent by serving meals to the public, so I think that we probably have a better understanding of the situation than the average person. I'm really happy to learn that Ms. Lousytipper's plan to ruin the restaurant has backfired on her; I wonder how she would like making a whole $2.15 an hour on her job. Thanks for letting me know about this incident. 
post edited by Carolina Bob, ex-nocarolina - 2010/02/26 23:33:53
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/26 23:36:21 (permalink)
X1

BR

felix4067

I said: Who are you people that think 10% is standard.
Legit question. Did you want me to phrase it a different way?
Who are all these people?
These people - who are they?

I mean, really...semantics. Concentrate on the issue.
My question was who are you people..and I used YOU PEOPLE, meaning: The people that answered the poll on the front page of this website that they, as a standard rule, tip less than 15% and some 10%. Those are the YOU POEPLE I am referring to.

Is it negative? I guess so. That's why I asked. I don't like cheapskates, and I was wondering, "aloud", who these people were, and why they would think it's OK to tip so badly. It would've been nice to get an explanation, but I don't think that's gonna happen. What are they gonna say? "Yes, I leave ****ty tips because I'm cheap and don't think someone should get any more of MY money? They should feel lucky to get 10%!"

Dude... no need to get your panties in a wad! I have my browser set to go straight to the forum page so I have no clue what the front page says. It's awfully nice of you to point that out though. Geeeez!!!
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 07:29:15 (permalink)
First - I am not a "dude".

Second - the title of the thread is "New Poll re: Tipping". 
MOST posters here (but not you, obviously), know that "Poll" means the poll on the front page of this site. Sorry you didn't. That's not my problem. There have been several threads here in the past that are "based on the poll". Nobody else has had an issue understanding this. Not my problem that you have your browser set to go straight to the forums, either. You miss out on things that way, but whatever.

Third - I was explaining my position, as apparently some posters have/had a problem with the term "you people". I explained what I meant by that. You don't like it? Again - not my problem, and again - an "issue" that has nothing to do with tipping. If you don't like my (or anyone else's) "tone" in a random post, re-read it without your "interpretation".

Except this post, which I'm hope you're interpreting quite correctly.

BR
Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 09:37:22 (permalink)
My explanation of MY use of "you people" to "Felix" was not about YOU. It was simply saying "hey Felix, why call me out on MY use of "you people" when this thread was started with "you people".  Just so you know, that means I'm okay with the use of "you people". My post was NOT about you however, this post is because YOU made it about YOU.  Happy?
That said, I apologize for not knowing you were referring to the poll on the home page, and I promise to never make that mistake again. Honestly... I thought you were starting a poll on tipping, and I was participating. ---Note to self... don't attempt to participate in anything you think is a poll.    

I also apologize for calling you a Dude, as you are obviously not a Dude.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6321
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 10:35:32 (permalink)
We just spent 4 nights near the end of the Gunflint Trail on the Canadian border where there was no other restaurant within 50 snow and wind swept miles. So breakfast, lunch and dinner got a minimum of 20% on the bottom line of the bill. The service was outstanding at the Gunflint Lodge. We can afford it. The energetic young people starting out in adult life could use it.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 425
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 13:24:21 (permalink)
All four of my children have waited tables at some time during high school & college.  When my oldest son started waiting tables at Steak & Shake I was so surprised when he told me how some folks either never leave a tip or if they do tip, they tip very little.

So, unless I get rude,surley service, I always tip atl lease 20% or even more to make up for all the cheapskates out there.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3436
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 15:14:43 (permalink)
Holy moly!  Did I ever not mean to start a firestorm with that!  As far as I'm concerned, BR and Mosca had already more than settled the "you people" issue well before X1 jumped in, but whatever.  That said, tip how you want...I can't say no one will ever change anyone's mind, but it's rare.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 15:47:17 (permalink)
I "jumped in" (was dragged in) because I was called out with the comment of "the very first post said..."
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1