New Poll re: Tipping

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3606
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 20:18:05 (permalink)
My apologies.  I just had to go back and look, and you did start the thread, so I guess my comment on it did actually apply to you.  It's all good as far as I'm concerned.
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 21:01:28 (permalink)
Here's a question I've always wondered about tipping.

How did tipping become a percentage of the cost of the meal? I ask this because I don't believe the server(s) at the Inn At Little Washington, $450 meal with wine, work 30 times more than the waitress at the Hawksbill Diner, $15 breakfast.

BTW, I'm a 15 -20 pct. guy.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/02/27 23:01:02 (permalink)
Soccer862923 I have tipped over 20% on a few occasions where I have felt like I have gotten really excellent service. The most recent that I can think of being in St. Louis a year ago at a restaurant, whose name is escaping me right now, where the server was excellent, fast, friendly and even took time out to have a few conversations with me.

Hooters?   I kid, I kid.

I only know one person who still tips 10% & admits it. If you had to work with this person, it would not surprise you AT ALL!!!!!

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/01 09:23:45 (permalink)
stricken_detective

Soccer862923 I have tipped over 20% on a few occasions where I have felt like I have gotten really excellent service. The most recent that I can think of being in St. Louis a year ago at a restaurant, whose name is escaping me right now, where the server was excellent, fast, friendly and even took time out to have a few conversations with me.

Hooters?   I kid, I kid.

I only know one person who still tips 10% & admits it. If you had to work with this person, it would not surprise you AT ALL!!!!!

Haha. Actually I have never been to Hooters, funny enough. Never really had the inclination to go there as I am not a huge wing fan but when I am in the mood I go to Quaker Steak and Lube.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/01 09:29:15 (permalink)
Alright not to high jack the thread but what are people's opinions on tipping for carryout orders? I have such mixed feelings about it and I have heard so many sides of the argument that I just don't know anymore.

On the one hand I view the service that I am being provided by them collecting the food and handing it to me, to be on par with fast food service, where I feel like there is little to no argument about not tipping.

On the other hand I have heard arguments about a waitress/bartender who has to spend time collecting the order and bagging it up and that takes time out of their other tables. I don't know how long this typically takes so I dont' know how much "service" is really provided. And there are also places where it is the role of the host/hostess to take care of them. Not knowing what they get paid (I seriously don't know if it is the same as servers) I don't know if I should tip or not.

It is altogether confusing for me really. I don't typically get carryout orders, and well I can't remember the last time I really needed to but still when it does I am flumoxed.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/01 11:25:45 (permalink)
For carryout, I ask the person handing me the order if they checked it for accuracy, personally. If they answer yes, I give a small tip. If they say no, I don't tip them. Usually what happens if they didn't check it, when I ask they check it then, and I tip them a small amount.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/01 11:47:09 (permalink)
For me, if the host/ess serves me my take out, I don't tip. They do not work for tips and are not receiving the $2.13/hr rate. Also, I found the tip goes to tip pool which is distributed to waitstaff and bartenders, not the host/ess who packaged up the food in the to-go bag.

If the take out is picked up at the bar, I leave a buck for a normal order or more if the order is large (i.e. picking up food for office workers - then a buck a person). I do not base it on a percentage.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/01 12:11:18 (permalink)
douginvirginia

Here's a question I've always wondered about tipping.

How did tipping become a percentage of the cost of the meal? I ask this because I don't believe the server(s) at the Inn At Little Washington, $450 meal with wine, work 30 times more than the waitress at the Hawksbill Diner, $15 breakfast.

BTW, I'm a 15 -20 pct. guy.

A long tradition.

The issue though has nothing to do with how hard they work. There are better waitstaff positions than others; just like every other profession. Typically, the $450 meal with wine place has more seasoned staff. Those jobs are typically harder to get and require a certain kind of restaurant biz knowledge and experience than another place that sells less expensive food.

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/10 15:23:58 (permalink)
Thanks to Soccer862923 for adding the question about take out.   I was about to pose a similar question until I reviewed the thread.  Thanks also to Mosca for describing what seems a reasonable practice that I had not considered.

I have a sort of specialized question about tipping on take out.  Do ethnic Chinese people - to mention only one heritage - tip on food they order by phone or in person and carry away from Chinese restaurants generally frequented more by their group than Anglos?

Do we have such a person who is a roadfood correspondent and will comment?  Does anyone have a friend who fits that profile and can respond?
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3606
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/10 21:07:10 (permalink)
I guess I don't understand what ethnicity has to do with tipping, regardless of who frequents a restaurant.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/10 23:01:45 (permalink)
Since elderly Oriental people do have some food-related customs that they observe which are different than modern Anglo customs, especially when politeness is involved, I can understand what Born in OKC's question might refer to.  In other words, to the older Oriental, is tipping considered an insult, or is it an acceptable practice?
tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/10 23:34:58 (permalink)
"Oriental"?

i know of no one in this country (presumably we're talking about the US, or at least, not "Oriental" countries) where the small token a few dollars is an insult, and I've tipped an awful lot of people in my time.

Perhaps someone on RF could tell us if he/she has ever been offended when receiving a tip.  

If the "eldery Orientals" don't feel the need to tip, well I'm fine with that.  Until I turn into one, I'm not too worried about their practices.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 01:19:49 (permalink)
Soccer862923

Alright not to high jack the thread but what are people's opinions on tipping for carryout orders? I have such mixed feelings about it and I have heard so many sides of the argument that I just don't know anymore.

On the one hand I view the service that I am being provided by them collecting the food and handing it to me, to be on par with fast food service, where I feel like there is little to no argument about not tipping.

On the other hand I have heard arguments about a waitress/bartender who has to spend time collecting the order and bagging it up and that takes time out of their other tables. I don't know how long this typically takes so I dont' know how much "service" is really provided. And there are also places where it is the role of the host/hostess to take care of them. Not knowing what they get paid (I seriously don't know if it is the same as servers) I don't know if I should tip or not.

It is altogether confusing for me really. I don't typically get carryout orders, and well I can't remember the last time I really needed to but still when it does I am flumoxed.

There is a little Italian place not far from where I work. We ate there for dinner for Homecoming like a thousand years ago. Now they put in a deli with lunch specials right around the time I started this job. I will be there 5 years in July.

They take very good care of me. I know most of the employees names, the owner & his son greet me by name and sometimes with a hug when they see me. I've even been scolded for coming in with wet hair! They have groceries, too, and bread from Sciortinos bakery which is awesome because quite frankly 30-45 minute commute for real bread is a bit much on a weekday.

They make sure I have silverware & napkins, they make sure the order is checked & double checked. I've rarely had an issue.

As someone pointed out, someone had to write down the order, someone has to cook the food, etc. They have tables where you can sit, so there is a tip jar & even though I mostly do carryout there, I always stick something in the tip jar. A coworker once said "You'll never meet a cheap Italian, if you do they're not full blooded, they're half something else like German." I don't know about that, but I appreciate all the times they've squeezed me in or accommodated me when I had to call back to add to my original order. "You're going where for lunch? Ooh, can I get a fish fry?"

They have pannetone left over from Christmas. I think I may get some tomorrow & try my hand at either French toast or bread pudding out of them.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 06:37:06 (permalink)
tommyeats

"Oriental"?

i know of no one in this country (presumably we're talking about the US, or at least, not "Oriental" countries) where the small token a few dollars is an insult, and I've tipped an awful lot of people in my time.

Perhaps someone on RF could tell us if he/she has ever been offended when receiving a tip.  

If the "eldery Orientals" don't feel the need to tip, well I'm fine with that.  Until I turn into one, I'm not too worried about their practices.

Hahahaha...I pointed out a while ago on here that "Oriental" is an applicable term for furniture, not people.
The term, if you *must* point out ethnicity at all, is "Asian".
My mother still says "Oriental" or even worse, "THE Orientals"...as if they're all the same people. Akin to "THE Blacks". 
*sigh*
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 08:10:55 (permalink)
6star

Since elderly Oriental people do have some food-related customs that they observe which are different than modern Anglo customs, especially when politeness is involved, I can understand what Born in OKC's question might refer to.  In other words, to the older Oriental, is tipping considered an insult, or is it an acceptable practice?

6star:

You are close, but let me try to make a better explanation.  What are the tipping folkways of Asian - trying to make X1 happy here although Oriental is not derogatory in my mind- people, elderly or young,  who happen to reside in this country today?  I daresay there are websites and newsletters in languages I can't read for these folks and that tipping is sometimes discussed.  I do wonder what their practice is and hope to hear from a member of one or more of the groups, especially Chinese since that is the  cuisine I most often take out.

A reminder.  I am not talking about food delivered to my location in response to a phoone call, or food from a cart or stand on the street (by and large that type of operation is not permitted where I live, and more's the pity).  Rather, my question was about food I pick up at the business.   Although I have already credited Mosca with an eye-opening point it is also true that there are no dishes to wash and there was not (in most cases) any drink service or refills.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 08:27:43 (permalink)
You tip according to your own practices...not the practices of anyone else.

That seems a bit like looking for a loophole.

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 12:22:00 (permalink)
X1

tommyeats

"Oriental"?

Hahahaha...I pointed out a while ago on here that "Oriental" is an applicable term for furniture, not people.
The term, if you *must* point out ethnicity at all, is "Asian".
My mother still says "Oriental" or even worse, "THE Orientals"...as if they're all the same people. Akin to "THE Blacks". 
*sigh*

I apologize if I offended you Ms. X1, though I probably am as old, if not older, than your mother, and do think in those terms.  The following explanation may clarify things for both you and tommyeats.

I used the term "Orientals" in order to avoid listing all the various nationalities (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, etc.) to which I was referring.  I purposely did NOT use the word Asian, as the continent Asia includes Russia, India and various other countries, which in their history have not been known for the various etiquette practices of what we might call "extreme" courtesy (bowing, "saving face", etc.).  I have read that, in the countries I was referring to, it is/was proper etiquette to leave a little bit of food on your plate to indicate that your host/hostess has satisfied your hunger.  I have also read that for some of these people, a tip is/was considered an insult, since it is taken as an indication that the diner feels that their host/hostess is poor, and cannot easily afford to feed them.  I thought that this attitude was what Born in OKC might have been referring to, since he mentioned Chinese restaurants which were patronized primarily by Chinese customers.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 13:01:30 (permalink)
In 2010, the term "Oriental," when referring to people, is a slur. They are Asians. The people to which "Asian" refers may not represent all the people's on the continent of Asia, but Asian cuisine does not include Indian cuisine, nor Russian, but does include Mongolian.

You get no respect from us using racial slurs.

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 13:19:37 (permalink)
Scorereader

In 2010, the term "Oriental," when referring to people, is a slur. They are Asians. The people to which "Asian" refers may not represent all the people's on the continent of Asia, but Asian cuisine does not include Indian cuisine, nor Russian, but does include Mongolian.

You get no respect from us using racial slurs.

I am sorry.  It was not meant as a racial slur.  I had not heard that this was considered as such these days.  Perhaps I am not around them enough to have learned this from them.  My main contact for the last few years with people of foreign descent seems to have been friends with Mexican heritage.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 13:23:51 (permalink)
6star

You did not offend ME. I just rolled my eyes when I read it, much as I do when I hear my mother talk that way. 

That being said, Scorereader, I do not think 6star was intentionally (i.e., hurtfully) using what we would consider a racial slur. It's a product of a certain age, I think. 
Like my grandmother saying "the Negroes", which was proper at the time she grew up, but is not today.

Many people know ethnic slurs, and especially slurs for black people, but not as many people know that "Oriental" is, today, a slur (or, at best, an improper term). I don't know why that is.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 15:55:10 (permalink)
Well, X1, now 6star knows.

My Great Aunt used the word n****r. If she was alive it would be no less of a racial slur than o******l.

It's no excuse.

There was once a time when "f**k" was harmless. But it's not allowable language on this site today. 

Get hip with the times, or stop using things like the Internet that can show one's ignorance.

Hopefully everyone invloved here is aware of the term as a slur and will cease making excuses and just not use it and apologize and leave it at that. Nothing else to say.

No anger on my end, just stop using that term and stop making excuses. We get it. One may not have known better. Now we all do.

In my mind, 6star apologized, understands it and is moving on.
Why X1 felt the need to defend the behavior is beyond me.

6star, no anger towards you. You're fine. I'm sure you won't make the gaff again and honestly, my Mom made the comment 5 or 6 years ago in public - several of us turned red, and I had to let her know. She said it was a slip and didn't mean any harm (she kind of knew better, but somethings are hard to change). I let it go from there. She's never used the term again, except when talking about her new dining room Oriental Rug -which is gorgeous.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 16:06:13 (permalink)
I wonder if it's still okay to refer to my family heirloom mechanical by its proper title, "The Reclining Chinaman Bank". Especially since it was made in 1883 and was derogatory by design.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 16:36:15 (permalink)
PS I tip the same at Chinese restaurants as I do any otjher restaurant, despite the practices of other cultures...same goes for English pubs.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6411
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 17:02:12 (permalink)
I never tipped in an English pub and I was in several throughout Great Britain. The etiquette is no tipping.

No Tipping in an English Pub
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 17:38:35 (permalink)
Scorereader

Get hip with the times, or stop using things like the Internet that can show one's ignorance.

Hopefully everyone invloved here is aware of the term as a slur and will cease making excuses and just not use it and apologize and leave it at that. Nothing else to say.

No anger on my end, just stop using that term and stop making excuses. We get it. One may not have known better. Now we all do.

In my mind, 6star apologized, understands it and is moving on.
Why X1 felt the need to defend the behavior is beyond me.

6star, no anger towards you. You're fine. I'm sure you won't make the gaff again and honestly, my Mom made the comment 5 or 6 years ago in public - several of us turned red, and I had to let her know. She said it was a slip and didn't mean any harm (she kind of knew better, but somethings are hard to change). I let it go from there. She's never used the term again, except when talking about her new dining room Oriental Rug -which is gorgeous.

I was not defending nor excusing - I was explaining. There is a difference. Just because I can understand the "why" of things does not mean I condone them. Why you think otherwise, I do not know.

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 22:25:14 (permalink)
Scorereader

Nothing else to say.

Amen to that.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/11 23:42:24 (permalink)
Davydd

I never tipped in an English pub and I was in several throughout Great Britain. The etiquette is no tipping.

No Tipping in an English Pub

right - o. I meant, I tip the same at an English-style pub, here stateside. my mistake
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/12 00:08:26 (permalink)
ok, technically not family yet, but likely. Still, I consider her family.

(I want to reiterate to 6star: thanks for your understanding, your response has been great. And I appreciate your comments since)

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/12 00:37:57 (permalink)
Ok so a simple statement of let it be affords you such an offensive statement.

tusti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
Re:New Poll re: Tipping 2010/03/22 18:09:17 (permalink)
This whole business about the Orientals etc. reminded me of a funny line in the movie "The Great Raboski".
It had to do with the condition of this guy's rug and it goes something like this...."but you don't understand, the Chinaman peed on my rug." Then Raboski says ...."dude, Chinaman is not the proper nomenclature."

Okay now all you PC types don't rag on me...it was a funny line from a funny movie.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1